PDA

View Full Version : Opinion: Is Kobe really the "Greatest Laker Ever"

Whole8
02-21-2012, 09:00 AM
In my book? No. Kobe is undoubtedly one of the greatest players of all time, a legend, and probably the 2nd best player since the jordan era(after shaq).

With that said, Kobe byrant in comparison to Magic Johnson is overated

Kobe is currently in his 16th season, has 5 rings, and only 2 finals MVPs, and who has kobe beaten in his career? Jalen rose and Miller's pacers? Jason Kidd's nets? Allen iversons one man show sixers? dwight howards magic(who got to the finals that year by default, because garnett was inured for boston,who then the following year demolished the magic :laugh:)??

outside of the celtics, which team the lakers faced actually had a legitimate chance of beating them in 7?? NONE

Meanwhile, Magic has 3 finals MVPs, 2 regualr season mvps, and has beaten: Julius erving twice, Birds celtics twice, and the thomas's pistons once, his one blemish? MJ beat him

Magic only played 13 years, from age 31-36 he wasnt even in the NBA!

Kobe? 1 MVP, and only 2 finals Mvps, and hasnt beaten anyone of merit outside of boston in a finals series

he hasnt been tested outside of bostons big 3, Magic has had 4 game 6's and 1 game 7

the quality of opponents that kobe faced was horrid in comparison to magic, kobe never faced the same team twice because the east had a bunch of mediocre teams that were inconsistent, while magic played the celtics and sixers multiple times and was victorious

ooh yea, and Magic had 2 regular season and 3 finals MVPS, how much does kobe have?1 and 2 finals mvps

im not saying kobe isnt one of the GOATS, im just saying in comparison to Magic, and Jordan, kobe's track record just isnt up to par, and it isnt Kobe's fault, Shaq was obviously the better player when they played together, thats why when they won, shaq had all 3 mvp awards, and they as a tandem didnt beat anyone of merit in the east

kobes lone triumph in my book in terms of the finals? beating boston in 7

as i stated,Just my personal opinion, in my book, kobe is probably top 10 or top 11 all time, and whever shaq is on that list, shaq has to be ahead of kobe, hands down

Slug3
02-21-2012, 09:29 AM
You can't go wrong with either one being the best. Both great.

quade36
02-21-2012, 09:40 AM
Magic, Kareem, and Wilt all better. Kobe would be the 4th best. Still great though.

Mcdoh
02-21-2012, 09:45 AM
i cant say him being the greatest.. but i can add him one of the greatest player of all time..

thenaj17
02-21-2012, 10:00 AM
In my book? No. Kobe is undoubtedly one of the greatest players of all time, a legend, and probably the 2nd best player since the jordan era(after shaq).

Kobe is currently in his 16th season, has 5 rings, and only 2 finals MVPs, and who has kobe beaten in his career? Jalen rose and Miller's pacers? Jason Kidd's nets? Allen iversons one man show sixers? dwight howards magic(who got to the finals that year by default, because garnett was inured for boston,who then the following year demolished the magic :laugh:)??

outside of the celtics, which team the lakers faced actually had a legitimate chance of beating them in 7?? NONE

Meanwhile, Magic has 3 finals MVPs, 2 regualr season mvps, and has beaten: Julius erving twice, Birds celtics twice, and the thomas's pistons once, his one blemish? MJ beat him

Kobe? 1 MVP, and only 2 finals Mvps, and hasnt beaten anyone of merit outside of boston in a finals series

he hasnt been tested outside of bostons big 3, Magic has had 4 game 6's and 1 game 7

the quality of opponents that kobe faced was horrid in comparison to magic, kobe never faced the same team twice because the east had a bunch of mediocre teams that were inconsistent, while magic played the celtics and sixers multiple times and was victorious

ooh yea, and Magic had 2 regular season and 3 finals MVPS, how much does kobe have?1 and 2 finals mvps

im not saying kobe isnt one of the GOATS, im just saying in comparison to Magic, and Jordan, kobe's track record just isnt up to par, and it isnt Kobe's fault, Shaq was obviously the better player when they played together, thats why when they won, shaq had all 3 mvp awards, and they as a tandem didnt beat anyone of merit in the east

as i stated,Just my personal opinion, in my book, kobe is probably top 10 or top 11 all time, and whever shaq is on that list, shaq has to be ahead of kobe, hands down#

Magic beat more quality opposition??? He had Kareem on his team...

How are Kobe's victories not worthy? The reason no-one apart from Boston stood a chance was because Kobe is just that good. Other than Shaq, their teams in 2000-2003 were just shooters and role players. The more recent 2, he had Gasol, the same player almost EVERYONE is saying isn't even that good anymore (despite being on a 10 game double double streak - his longest as a Laker) and Lamar Odom, a player renowned to turn up every 1 in 3 games and massively overrared (never been an allstar and rightfully so). Bynum didn't count for either title run because he missed the whole of the 1 against Orlando and played gimpy throughout the playoffs and against Boston 2 years ago.

Who are you to decide the titles aren't as worthy because of opposition? Dwight Howard is the best centre in the last 8/9 years and that Celtics team was supposed to be 'fantastic 4'. Perkins being out made no difference as he's a talentless bum.

Whole8
02-21-2012, 10:02 AM
Magic, Kareem, and Wilt all better. Kobe would be the 4th best. Still great though.

wilt? lol, doesnt he have like 1 or 2 rings? any finals mvps?

todu82
02-21-2012, 10:04 AM
No, especially when you consider Magic, Kareem, Wilt and Shaq all played some of their best basketball with the Lakers.

Whole8
02-21-2012, 10:16 AM
#

Magic beat more quality opposition??? He had Kareem on his team...

How are Kobe's victories not worthy? The reason no-one apart from Boston stood a chance was because Kobe is just that good. Other than Shaq, their teams in 2000-2003 were just shooters and role players. The more recent 2, he had Gasol, the same player almost EVERYONE is saying isn't even that good anymore (despite being on a 10 game double double streak - his longest as a Laker) and Lamar Odom, a player renowned to turn up every 1 in 3 games and massively overrared (never been an allstar and rightfully so). Bynum didn't count for either title run because he missed the whole of the 1 against Orlando and played gimpy throughout the playoffs and against Boston 2 years ago.

Who are you to decide the titles aren't as worthy because of opposition? Dwight Howard is the best centre in the last 8/9 years and that Celtics team was supposed to be 'fantastic 4'. Perkins being out made no difference as he's a talentless bum.

i dont care that he played with kareem, kobe played with shaq, magic played complete teams like boston countless times kobe hasnt, kobe was never the best player on his team during the 3peat, no finals mvps wit him

he hasnt beaten any team that was considered an all time great team

Dankster
02-21-2012, 10:25 AM
Nope. I was fortunate enough to see Magic play a good portion of his career. He revolutionized the sport to a degree only matched I'd say by Wilt Chamberlain. A 6 foot 9 point guard with the dribbling and court vision he had was never seen before him, and hasn't been seen since his retirement.

His resume speaks for itself, all those finals MVP's and championships. To me, he is the reason James Worthy is in the hall of fame and considered one of the 50 greatest NBA players back in 1996. I can't see Worthy being eligible for either of those prestigious accolades had he not played in such a successful system as the Lakers had.

Hellcrooner
02-21-2012, 10:25 AM
No, im still taking Magic, Kareem and West over him.
His personal antics take a toll on him.
Magic and Kareem CHANGED tha lakers culture.
West has been instrumental too not only as a player but in the FO too in creating the lakers we know..

Hellcrooner
02-21-2012, 10:27 AM
Nope. I was fortunate enough to see Magic play a good portion of his career. He revolutionized the sport to a degree only matched I'd say by Wilt Chamberlain. A 6 foot 9 point guard with the dribbling and court vision he had was never seen before him, and hasn't been seen since his retirement.

His resume speaks for itself, all those finals MVP's and championships. To me, he is the reason James Worthy is in the hall of fame and considered one of the 50 greatest NBA players back in 1996. I can't see Worthy being eligible for either of those awards had he not played in such a successful system as the Lakers had.

Disagree, James worhty was "the man" , "the first option" whatever you want to call it in North Carolina.
You know who was on that roster?.
He is his own man and whould have won his own **** outside the lakers, just like Kevin Mchale or Scottie Pippen, i feel sad when people dont measure them right because of being lucky to play with Bird, Magic, Jordan.

Dankster
02-21-2012, 10:31 AM
^^ I don't want to go off topic here, but if you think Pippen would've had a high level of success without playing with MJ, I don't know what to say to that. Don't get me wrong, he was an excellent all around player, but a lot of his accolades, similar to Worthy, wouldn't have occured for him.

Hard for me to believe Pippen would be an NBA 50 greatest player had he not played with that Chicago dynasty.

ghettosean
02-21-2012, 10:33 AM
Kareem was the man.... He was more dominant and won a ring on his own when he wasn't a laker. The guy was the real deal not saying Kobe wasn't but he did have Shaq who some consider the best center of all time to help Kobe with 3 of his rings which Shaq got finals MVP for all 3.

Kareem then a toss between Magic and Kobe.

Hellcrooner
02-21-2012, 10:35 AM
^^ I don't want to go off topic here, but if you think Pippen would've had a high level of success without playing with MJ, I don't know what to say to that. Don't get me wrong, he was an excellent all around player, but a lot of his accolades, similar to Worthy, wouldn't have occured for him.

Hard for me to believe Pippen would be an NBA 50 greatest player had he not played with that Chicago dynasty.

check 94 season.
review the last minutes of the series vs Knicks and tell me a good oficiated game wouldnt have put them into conference finals.

And after lakers Knicks is my second favourite team, so no bias here.

Dankster
02-21-2012, 10:49 AM
LOL I remember the 94 season quite well. I also remember a guy who didn't get the last offensive play for him drawn in the playoffs, rather it was given to Toni Kukoc, and I'm sure you remember how the "Great" Scottie Pippen showed his true colors after being relegated as the 2nd option for that play.

I'm sorry man, but it's hard for me to believe Pippen is in the NBA top 50, or Worthy for that matter, and an all time great like Dominique Wilkins isn't on that list solely because the teams he played on were nowhere near the same level as those Bulls/Lakers teams.

Those 2 guys being put in the NBA top 50 are a direct result of playing with super greats like Magic and MJ.

UPRock
02-21-2012, 10:54 AM
No, Magic is the best Laker of all time, then is Kareem, Kobe, West, Wilt, Shaq and Baylor.

MagicHero3
02-21-2012, 10:58 AM

as i stated,Just my personal opinion, in my book, kobe is probably top 10 or top 11 all time, and whever shaq is on that list, shaq has to be ahead of kobe, hands down

:facepalm: nobody wins "by default" thats such a stupid thing to say, and for that, i cannot take this poll seriously

MagicHero3
02-21-2012, 10:59 AM
that means the lakers got SWEPT last year "by default" then, right? because why?...well, no reason, no "excuse", they just sucked.

joeystats
02-21-2012, 11:01 AM
I think most Lakers fans would agree that he is, what he has done for the Lakers for 15years unmatched, people forget that Magic had a great team and most of the same players helped him win titles, Kobe on the other hand had a great team with Shaq but then had to spend 3 years in a rebuilding process when they lost everyone, Magic and MJ never had to worry about that, and only reason Kobe has 1 MVP is because he is disliked, which is his fault, Jordan was loved by everyone so he always got the MVP's plus he deserved them, but you cant tell me that Kobe wasen't the best player in the NBA at least 10 of his 15 years in the league, 1 MVP???? pshhhh Steve Nash 2 MVP's hahaha...

Hellcrooner
02-21-2012, 11:27 AM
LOL I remember the 94 season quite well. I also remember a guy who didn't get the last offensive play for him drawn in the playoffs, rather it was given to Toni Kukoc, and I'm sure you remember how the "Great" Scottie Pippen showed his true colors after being relegated as the 2nd option for that play.

I'm sorry man, but it's hard for me to believe Pippen is in the NBA top 50, or Worthy for that matter, and an all time great like Dominique Wilkins isn't on that list solely because the teams he played on were nowhere near the same level as those Bulls/Lakers teams.

Those 2 guys being put in the NBA top 50 are a direct result of playing with super greats like Magic and MJ.

? Nique is on the offcial nba list.

Dankster
02-21-2012, 11:38 AM
^^No Mr. Crooner, Dominique wasn't put on the NBA greatest 50 list, probably the biggest beef I have with it. I don't have to go into his resume but anyone who saw him in his prime knows how good the guy was.

I even remember sir Charles saying it was an absolute robbery how Nique was left off that list. Incredible.

LA_Raiders
02-21-2012, 12:04 PM
He is, and in a couple of years there will be no question... GOAT-b...

LA_Raiders
02-21-2012, 12:07 PM
I think most Lakers fans would agree that he is, what he has done for the Lakers for 15years unmatched, people forget that Magic had a great team and most of the same players helped him win titles, Kobe on the other hand had a great team with Shaq but then had to spend 3 years in a rebuilding process when they lost everyone, Magic and MJ never had to worry about that, and only reason Kobe has 1 MVP is because he is disliked, which is his fault, Jordan was loved by everyone so he always got the MVP's plus he deserved them, but you cant tell me that Kobe wasen't the best player in the NBA at least 10 of his 15 years in the league, 1 MVP???? pshhhh Steve Nash 2 MVP's hahaha...

:clap::clap::clap:

RaiderLakersA's
02-21-2012, 12:23 PM
Kareem and Magic are at the top of my list in terms of achievements and overall appreciation. Kobe comes in 3rd and then some of my sentimental favorites like Jerry West fall in line. Not sure where Shaq is on that list, yet. Maybe in a few years I'll have the proper measure of it, but not now.

ink
02-21-2012, 12:24 PM

Most Lakers fans who have only seen Kobe's generation maybe. The "I wanna be like MJ" era.

ManRam
02-21-2012, 12:27 PM
it depends on what you are defining "best" as.

he's not the individual player magic, or even kareem were. he's very close, but he's not. now, he might win the laker longevity battle over those two because the length of his career there will end up being longer than those two guys...and when we're talking legacies, that matters.

i think magic is #1, and i think most that watched him play in his prime would agree. i didn't get to see much of magic, admittedly...so i can't say so definitively. but i firmly believe he was a better player, and has just as many, if not more, team and individual accolades to back it up.

FrenchSunsFan
02-21-2012, 12:30 PM
Don't forget Jerry West and Elgin Baylor too + Magic , Wilt and Jabbar.

Chacarron
02-21-2012, 12:34 PM
No, Magic is the Greatest Laker of All Time.

PhillyFaninLA
02-21-2012, 12:44 PM
He is at best the 3 best Laker of all time. He is behind Magic noone can convince me otherwise, and I put him behind Shaq and possibly behind Wilt and Kareem.

But Kobe is still a top 10 - 15 player ever. I wouldn't put him higher because if you are no better then 3rd in franchise history then you can't be top 10 all time.

Chinoeyes
02-21-2012, 12:45 PM
I would say YES...

He is a "career laker" with the most number of rings. The glory is all about rings baby!
Sure he had shaq, pau, etc... but who didn't need star support? isnt it why these current players are leaving their teams or demanding to get all-stars.

Unlike other greats, He achieved all this milestones being a laker. only a laker.

SO he is to me, the greatest laker of all time...

alexander_37
02-21-2012, 12:49 PM
Magic is the greatest Laker IMO.

nickdymez
02-21-2012, 12:51 PM
The op failed to mention that the Lakers were going through The Spurs, Blazers, Kings in the Western Conference.

PhillyFaninLA
02-21-2012, 12:53 PM
I would say YES...

He is a "career laker" with the most number of rings. The glory is all about rings baby!
Sure he had shaq, pau, etc... but who didn't need star support? isnt it why these current players are leaving their teams or demanding to get all-stars.

Unlike other greats, He achieved all this milestones being a laker. only a laker.

Do one of two things agree that all of the players below (all the players that have more rings then Kobe) are better then Kobe (based off your own definition of why Kobe is the best) or take back you comment about its all about the rings and admit you where just trying to sound cool to strangers on the internet.

Bill Russell, Sam Jones, Tom Heinsohn, K. C. Jones, Satch Sanders, John Havlicek, Frank Ramsey, Robert Horry, Bob Cousy, Michael Jordan,
Scottie Pippen

ChicagoRox
02-21-2012, 01:16 PM
I don't where he stands in the Lakers greats,but how lucky are the Lakers when one the top 5 greatest players in NBA history (Kobe, after all is said and done), is not even an unanimous best player in franchise history in the minds of their fans. I would love to have that issue with the Bulls.

But it's okay they will never the the GOAT of all time like the bulls.

RaiderLakersA's
02-21-2012, 01:44 PM
I would say YES...

You mean Kobe is tied with Magic and Kareem with the most rings WITH the Lakers, right???

Full Name: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Formerly known as: Lew Alcindor
Height: 7-2; Weight: 267 lbs.

Honors: Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame (1995); NBA champion (1971, '80, '82, '85, '87, '88); NBA MVP (1971, '72, '74, '76, '77, '80); 10-time All-NBA First Team; Five-time All-NBA Second Team; Five-time All-Defensive First Team; Six-time
All-Defensive Second Team; 19-time All-Star; One
of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA History (1996).

When Kareem Abdul-Jabbar left the game in 1989 at age 42, no NBA player had ever scored more points, blocked more shots, won more Most Valuable Player Awards, played in more All-Star Games or logged more seasons. His list of personal and team accomplishments is perhaps the most awesome in league history: Rookie of the Year, member of six NBA championship teams, six-time NBA MVP, two-time NBA Finals MVP, 19-time All-Star, two-time scoring champion, and a member of the NBA 35th and 50th Anniversary All-Time Teams. He also owned eight playoff records and seven All-Star records. No player achieved as much individual and team success as did Abdul-Jabbar.

Players 10 years his junior couldn't keep up with Abdul-Jabbar, whose strict physical-fitness regimen was years ahead of its time in the NBA. But if others have since emulated his fitness regimen, no player has ever duplicated his trademark "sky-hook."

http://www.nba.com/history/players/abduljabbar_bio.html

While I realize that Kareem won one of his rings with the Bucks, the other 5 were with Showtime.

RaiderLakersA's
02-21-2012, 01:50 PM
I don't where he stands in the Lakers greats,but how lucky are the Lakers when one the top 5 greatest players in NBA history (Kobe, after all is said and done), is not even an unanimous best player in franchise history in the minds of their fans. I would love to have that issue with the Bulls.

But it's okay they will never the the (sic) GOAT of all time like the bulls.

Trust me, Jordan would have a hard time with some of us old school Lakers fans.

While I appreciate his skills, MJ basically singlehandedly destroyed the concept of basketball as a TEAM sport. There is no way in hell he would have gotten away with playing 1 on 5 as a Laker, like he did in his early years with the Bulls.

MJ may be the GOAT in the younger generation's eyes, but had he been a Laker, he would face a similarly tough debate. It wouldn't be unanimous.

justjames
02-21-2012, 02:05 PM
Jerry West is the greatest Laker unless Kobe gets a job with the front office and becomes directly responsible for more championships from trades or drafts.

AIRMAR72
02-21-2012, 02:13 PM

Ervin Magic Johnson is the best laker he made everyone around him better players but you really cant scottie pippen for showing his colors it was scottie WILL and effort that got the bulls to the playoffs playing D and offense as he was possess the whole entire season everyone thought the bulls would fall apart after MJ retire and your so rite about nique the man was a super special but being on those ****** hawk teams and his commitment to the city and franchise never paid off as far as title reason why folks shouldnt be mad at lebron

AIRMAR72
02-21-2012, 02:15 PM
Do one of two things agree that all of the players below (all the players that have more rings then Kobe) are better then Kobe (based off your own definition of why Kobe is the best) or take back you comment about its all about the rings and admit you where just trying to sound cool to strangers on the internet.

Bill Russell, Sam Jones, Tom Heinsohn, K. C. Jones, Satch Sanders, John Havlicek, Frank Ramsey, Robert Horry, Bob Cousy, Michael Jordan,
Scottie Pippen
lol

Crackadalic
02-21-2012, 02:20 PM
Magic or Jerry West. Kobe has a long way to go to pass both as the greatest laker

Hellcrooner
02-21-2012, 02:23 PM
Ervin Magic Johnson is the best laker he made everyone around him better players but you really cant scottie pippen for showing his colors it was scottie WILL and effort that got the bulls to the playoffs playing D and offense as he was possess the whole entire season everyone thought the bulls would fall apart after MJ retire and your so rite about nique the man was a super special but being on those ****** hawk teams and his commitment to the city and franchise never paid off as far as title reason why folks shouldnt be mad at lebron

I wouldnt call a team with Doc rivers, Reggi Theus, Moses Malone and Kevin WIllis ****............. simply celtics and pistons were impressive.

AIRMAR72
02-21-2012, 02:32 PM

look kobe MVP in 08 really belongs bron are CP3 they both were BETTER that yr NOW the title win against the immature magic team its was GASOL who outplayed dwight howard and kept howard in foul trouble posting and toasting him AND making TIMELY NEEDED baskets those are the main reason why howard visited the dream(hakeem) for help on footwork and postgame so that MVP shouldve went to pau against boston for that title kobe was clearly the MVP from 1st rd he was on fire but it was artist and gasol along with dfish(flopping) making the back breaking plays to sealed the game 23FT FOR THE LAKERS in last 6mins in a championship game

joeystats
02-21-2012, 02:47 PM
look kobe MVP in 08 really belongs bron are CP3 they both were BETTER that yr NOW the title win against the immature magic team its was GASOL who outplayed dwight howard and kept howard in foul trouble posting and toasting him AND making TIMELY NEEDED baskets those are the main reason why howard visited the dream(hakeem) for help on footwork and postgame so that MVP shouldve went to pau against boston for that title kobe was clearly the MVP from 1st rd he was on fire but it was artist and gasol along with dfish(flopping) making the back breaking plays to sealed the game 23FT FOR THE LAKERS in last 6mins in a championship game

lol, once again another hater, keep it comin