PDA

View Full Version : Teams' loyalty to their players

FOBolous
02-19-2012, 11:18 PM
There's a lot of talk about players not being loyal to their team that drafted them with them leaving their small market teams for big market teams that can offer them more money and more endorsement opportunities...

...but how bout teams being loyal to their players? Players like Pau Gasol played a large part in their team's success. Shouldn't loyalty be a two way street? Shouldn't players like Pau Gasol, Garnett, Ray Allen, and Rondo be untouchable solely because their contribution to the team's success as long as 1. they don't cause trouble 2. plays hard and 3. take a pay cut when they are past their prime?

xxplayerxx23
02-19-2012, 11:20 PM
I was lazy and didnt read the whole post, But i see it this way, Your only in the NBA a certain amount of years, you have to make as much money as you can, One injury can end your career, Its a bussiness not only does money effect things winning does to. Some people just want to win and when your contract is up or in the final year you can do what you have to get more money and try and win. the last year i mean if your going to leave give mangment the heads up so they can trade you to get something back

bholly
02-19-2012, 11:23 PM
Um, there's been a lot of talk about this side of loyalty too. It comes up pretty much every time the question of player loyalty comes up.

Corey
02-19-2012, 11:36 PM
Loyalty is stupid in sports. Blurred judgment causes poor management decisions.

SkipBaylessFan
02-19-2012, 11:51 PM
At the end of the days it's a business. You need to make the best decisions for the business' future.

Iodine
02-20-2012, 12:21 AM
Loyalty is stupid in sports. Blurred judgment causes poor management decisions.

Agreed on this

As fans we buy the tickets and stuff, but honestly the players/gm's don't owe us ****. It's their job to do what they think is best for their financial security and job performance. Really as much as I don't want to see say TP in another jersey, if he Shaun Livingston's his knee's the GM shouldnt get emotional about the past. That's what the video tribute is for

Hawkeye15
02-20-2012, 12:35 AM
like said above, its a business.

Chronz
02-20-2012, 04:53 AM
I was lazy and didnt read the whole post, But i see it this way, Your only in the NBA a certain amount of years, you have to make as much money as you can, One injury can end your career, Its a bussiness not only does money effect things winning does to. Some people just want to win and when your contract is up or in the final year you can do what you have to get more money and try and win. the last year i mean if your going to leave give mangment the heads up so they can trade you to get something back
You cant read 2 paragraphs? But you can post this?

mustaine
02-20-2012, 12:32 PM
The Spurs seem to be the most loyal to their star players (and vice versa), it probably helps that they don't lose a lot. They never panic and trade just for the sake of trading, Pop is a great coach and in my opinion the best in the game after Phil Jackson retired. They might not be the most exciting or high flying team but they play as a unit and for that I respect them. I disliked them a lot a few years back but today I actually find them pretty enjoyable to watch, they just get it.

But hey, this really is a business, only a few players seem to be untouchable at any given time. Can't really blame teams that look to other players when they clearly aren't clicking (like the Lakers now). But sometimes it's just better to stand firm with what you have and believe in your players ability to work through difficult times, especially if they are multiple All-Stars and have won championships.