PDA

View Full Version : Michael Jordan

DJHUFF2000
02-19-2012, 06:17 PM
This is a 3 part question, 1.Why do people get upset when others say any other balla can do something better than him,like dunking,dribbling,what ever it is ? 2.If Mike did not retire for 1 & 3/4 seaon would they have won 8 titles in a row ? 3.Did Jordan "make" Scottie ? "Holla back"!!!

beliges
02-19-2012, 06:27 PM
This is a 3 part question, 1.Why do people get upset when others say any other balla can do something better than him,like dunking,dribbling,what ever it is ? 2.If Mike did not retire for 1 & 3/4 seaon would they have won 8 titles in a row ? 3.Did Jordan "make" Scottie ? "Holla back"!!!

Because some people have it engraved in their brains that MJ never messed up, never choked, never turned the ball over in his career and these are the same people that get threatened when another player comes close to MJ in terms of greatness or surpasses things MJ never did in his career. I am part of the majority that thinks MJ is the greatest to ever play. But I understand that certain players were better at certain things than MJ was.

LakersMaster24
02-19-2012, 06:30 PM
I had to re-read your post twice to fully understand it.

Anyways...people who think that are the same people that believe everything the media tells them. No question Jordan is the GOAT, however people are on his sack like no tomorrow. Its like iPhone fans...they buy a iPhone just because its a Apple...even if some Android phone is much better.

If one day a player comes out and passes Jordan in every way, people will still call MJ the GOAT.

smith&wesson
02-19-2012, 06:38 PM
cant answer why ppl get mad. but its hard to argue against jordan in anything basketball realated because he is so widley considered the best by every one.

if jordan didnt leave then i beleive the bulls would have won 8 titles.

no jordan didnt make scottie. scottie was a great player in his own right and worked hard to get there. jordan was probably a good team mate to him though.

netsgiantsyanks
02-19-2012, 06:40 PM
holla back? i'm black, but this is psd.

netsgiantsyanks
02-19-2012, 06:42 PM
but seriously, people get mad because they know there will never be another michael jordan .

DJHUFF2000
02-19-2012, 06:45 PM
Another thing that trips me out is who just decided his 6 titles are measuring sticks for players such Kobe,Lebron ? Cause if it based on "ships" aint nobody touching Bill Russell.

J4KOP99
02-19-2012, 06:50 PM
Jordan was just unreal. Some of the comparisons people make are a bit ridiculous and those of us who watched him throughout his entire career get angered and annoyed by the lack of thought put into the statements.

I love Kobe Bryant. He is my favorite player. I was a Lakers fan before he showed up but once he arrived, something changed for me. However, Kobe Bryant, unless he does something incredible like win 2 more titles and throw in another MVP, will NEVER be what Michael Jordan is. I, personally, don't care. Others, though, want to make the comparisons. It just isn't fair to either guy.

As for your second point, I strongly believe that the Bulls would have won 8 straight. I understand anything can happen, especially in regards to injuries but he was too damn good and that team was built perfectly around him.

The third one is a tough question and has been asked many times... Scottie was damn good... With our without Michael. But it would silly to say Michael didn't make him better. That's not saying Scottie was overrated or anything but he just was on a team where he didn't always have to be "the guy." He could play his game and didn't have to worry about carrying anybody. Michael was the go-to guy on the Bulls and made everyone around him better.

Bruno
02-19-2012, 07:11 PM
they wouldn't have won eight titles. a year and a half off was exactly what the doctor ordered. i don't think people realize how much it takes to go deep into June every year, especially with Olympic commitments.

Only three teams in NBA history have ever gone to four straight NBA finals, let alone won all four. Boston won eight in a row in the 1960s, but it's important to remember that all eight of Bill Russels pre 1965-1966 NBA championships were won with two round playoffs. Only the '66, '68, and '69 championship seasons had three round playoffs (and even then, the first round was only best of five).

It's important to recognize that. Players who won championships when the league required four round playoffs had to go through twice as many series as the majority of Russells 60's Celtics. Not only were the Celtics the best team of the era, but the era took a lot less playoff battles to walk away with the championship, by a 50% margin.

The other two franchises besides Russells Celtics to go to four straight NBA finals are the 80's Lakers, and 80's Celtics. Both teams went 50% on their four consecutive trips, 2/4.

These classic teams struggled to get there and win, with four or more attempts in a row. And the 60's Celtics, the one team who did it, have a massive exception considering the number of rounds, and the road to the championship happening under a much different circumstances. What makes us think that Phil, MJ, and Pippen could have possibly won eight in a row, considering these historical norms?

Lets also remember that the '94 Bulls were pre Rodman, post Grant. They would have struggled against Hakeems size.

If those Bulls could have beaten the Rockets in '94 and '95, I don't think they would have had the legs in the following seasons to continue winning.

Again, IMO, 1.5 years off was exactly what the doctor ordered. Besides those 60's C's, nobody has gone to four straight and won them all, let alone five straight, six straight, seven straight, or eight straight, and still won them all.

*The NBA expanded to four round playoffs for the 83-84 season, which was won by the Celtics.

pd1dish
02-19-2012, 07:12 PM

1. i am a Bulls fan, and as bias as i may be, i truly believe MJ is the greatest player to ever play the sport of basketball. BUT, he was not THE best at every category. for example, his mid-range game was absolutely spectacular, but hes obviously not the best 3-point shooter. and no one gets mad about somebody saying "so and so is a better dribbler, passer, etc.". its when idiots on this board claim Lebron is better than Jordan. or try to discredit Jordan as much as possible just because they dont like the Bulls, or just simply didnt get to watch him because most people on here are kids who have only watched this era of superstars.

2. i think they would have won it the year that Scottie led the Bulls and they lost to the Knicks in the playoffs. Jordan would have made such a big difference, and he was the Knick killer. ]

3. Pippen showed that when MJ was gone, that the Bulls were still a top team in the NBA. i think if MJ would have stayed retired, and Pippen had more opportunities and time as the number 1, then i think within 2-3 years he could have won a championship. however, MJ was the biggest reason for all of Chicago's success in the 90's and we can never know what Pippen's career would have looked like if it werent for Jordan.

Bos_Sports4Life
02-19-2012, 07:26 PM

1. Because MJ was marketed beyond anyone Ive ever seen, Which makes people believe hes better than what he really is. Hes also more flashy than PF/C's and people simply like flash..

2. its a big WHAT IF..Fact is the rockets won those 2 titles fairly

3. HECK NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pippen is one heck of a player in his own right, The season MJ Retired? They still won 55 games..

C-Wick925
02-19-2012, 07:26 PM
Yo homie im holla'n back yallz

:facepalm:

Bruno
02-19-2012, 07:33 PM
MJ for sure made Scottie better. Scottie will tell you that. anytime you play up against that kind of greatness in practice it's gona elevate your game.

but that doesn't mean that Pippen wouldt have still developed into a great player in his own right with out MJ, and it doesn't mean that Pippen couldn't have been more than a legendary #2 guy if given the opportunity to be "the guy" for a decade in his prime. Pippen chose winning; he chose dynasty. I respect that.

lakers4sho
02-19-2012, 07:36 PM
no kukoc emergence and no rodman

good luck with another 3 peat...8 championships :rolleyes:

NoahH
02-19-2012, 09:47 PM
1) Because he's hands down the best player to ever play.
2) Yes
3) No. Pippen was a good player. Maybe he made him BETTER tho.

Bos_Sports4Life
02-20-2012, 12:38 AM

Thats debatable

Hellcrooner
02-20-2012, 12:44 AM

1 Brainwashing , 27 years of brainwsshing bombs by media.

2 No, they actually lost in 95 playoffs with him and that is a Fact.

3 No, Scottie was great on his own.

jiggin
02-20-2012, 12:45 AM
I watched Jordan play in person. I am current season ticket holder (and have been for many years)...and have NEVER seen a player like him. He was unreal at times...

...but most who watched him play already know this.

jiggin
02-20-2012, 12:46 AM
New generations have their own heros...I don't expect them to understand.

OA SLAY
02-20-2012, 01:02 AM
Scottie made MJ.

Raph12
02-20-2012, 01:35 AM
1. Because "old timers" cannot admit that the GOAT might have had flaws/lesser qualities than any current player. He's the GOAT no doubt, but there are players that are better than him in certain facets of the game.

2. Maybe 7 or so IMO, that team was just so dominant, it looked like they couldn't be stopped... It's all speculation though.

3. No both helped each other, Scottie was a pretty good player on his own as well.

Cfrey
02-20-2012, 04:26 AM
lebron over jordan

kArSoN RyDaH
02-20-2012, 06:30 AM
JB with the copy and paste in 3, 2,... :hide:

JasonJohnHorn
02-20-2012, 06:46 AM
Jordan and the Bulls could have easily lost the Hakeem and the Rockets. Those titles wouldnt have been in the bag for the Bulls, who also would have had a hell of a time getting through Orlando and NY.

Jordan is awesome. Yes yes, and officials let him do whatever he wanted. Pippen's success was as much about Phil Jackson mentoring him, both as an assistant and as a head coach, than it is about what Jordan did for him on the floor. Remember Pippen lead the Bulls to a game seven against NY. They were a couple of baskets away from the finals with Pippen in charge.

ghettosean
02-20-2012, 10:49 PM
2) Yes
3) No. Pippen was a good player. Maybe he made him BETTER tho.
This

AIRMAR72
02-21-2012, 12:25 AM
Jordan was just unreal. Some of the comparisons people make are a bit ridiculous and those of us who watched him throughout his entire career get angered and annoyed by the lack of thought put into the statements.

I love Kobe Bryant. He is my favorite player. I was a Lakers fan before he showed up but once he arrived, something changed for me. However, Kobe Bryant, unless he does something incredible like win 2 more titles and throw in another MVP, will NEVER be what Michael Jordan is. I, personally, don't care. Others, though, want to make the comparisons. It just isn't fair to either guy.

As for your second point, I strongly believe that the Bulls would have won 8 straight. I understand anything can happen, especially in regards to injuries but he was too damn good and that team was built perfectly around him.

The third one is a tough question and has been asked many times... Scottie was damn good... With our without Michael. But it would silly to say Michael didn't make him better. That's not saying Scottie was overrated or anything but he just was on a team where he didn't always have to be "the guy." He could play his game and didn't have to worry about carrying anybody. Michael was the go-to guy on the Bulls and made everyone around him better.
respect brah nothing but the truth in YOUR post, scottie would have never been the player he turn out to be if wasnt for those practice sessions with DA great1(MJ), OFFCOURSE pip learn from jordan he made everyone better horace grant was never the same player once he left the bulls to team up with young a shaq and penny in orlando steve kerr was never the same again after leaving MJ presence now lets look at kobe ,ron artist who was once 20 10 got with kobe and hes not the same guy koran butler too, once he got kobe he couldnt score 10points he went to dallas and was reborn and won a RING now with the clipp and the man(koran) is even doing better(CP3 FACTOR) kobe is not GREAT(43%FG. NOT with those numbers) he a just good harder worker who knows the game and is very athletic with 6teams titles AND 1mvp after 14yrs of service he never made ANYONE one better he always had talent around HIM since he been in the league put kobe on the hornets and see what could he do i bet you NOTHING but chucking and stagnate the offense and making the playoffs now kobe is crying again about his supporting cast dude(kobe) needs to shut up and work with what he got, it work 3yrs ago im sure bron and dwayne would make to confrence finals with the lakers current roster

Gritz
02-21-2012, 12:40 AM
Cuh do have some tight shoes

The Final Boss
02-21-2012, 12:57 AM
Kobe Bryant played/plays against vastly superior athletes.