PDA

View Full Version : ESPN fires employees for racist comments on Lin

NYSpirit1
02-19-2012, 12:31 PM
http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/7591778/espn-statement-offensive-jeremy-lin-comments

At ESPN we are aware of three offensive and inappropriate comments made on ESPN outlets during our coverage of Jeremy Lin.

Saturday we apologized for two references. We have since learned of a similar reference Friday on ESPN Radio New York. The incidents were separate and different. We have engaged in a thorough review of all three and have taken the following action:

The ESPN employee responsible for our Mobile headline has been dismissed.

The ESPNEWS anchor has been suspended for 30 days.

The radio commentator is not an ESPN employee.

We again apologize, especially to Mr. Lin. His accomplishments are a source of great pride to the Asian-American community, including the Asian-American employees at ESPN. Through self-examination, improved editorial practices and controls, and response to constructive criticism, we will be better in the future.

This is really unfair. I hope something else was done too. Anchors only read what the TV writers put on the teleprompter, so it wasn't really his fault to say that, it's his job to read the teleprompter. And the mobile headline probably passed through multiple people to get publish, so if one person got fired, they all should.

The entire thing was stupid and multiple people should have gotten fired.

arkanian215
02-19-2012, 12:36 PM
Frankly, I like Max Bretos. I agree it's on the editors and writers, but it's also on Max.

LongIslandIcedZ
02-19-2012, 12:44 PM
Hate to see a guy get fired, especially when there is a chance there was no malicious intent behind the article headline. But ESPN made the right decision.

AntiG
02-19-2012, 12:47 PM
Hate to see a guy get fired, especially when there is a chance there was no malicious intent behind the article headline. But ESPN made the right decision.

Being that it is like having a headline that says "Floyd Mayweather reniggs on his contract," the firing was appropriate. If in media, you're going to set a standard for firing Don Imus for his racist comments, you can't be creating double standards just because it is towards Asians instead of to blacks.

smuffins353
02-19-2012, 12:49 PM
I hope that guy gets hired by comedy central because that **** was HILARIOUS

kozelkid
02-19-2012, 12:49 PM
If only Fox would fire Whitlock for his crap.

heyman321
02-19-2012, 12:56 PM
You could even say that employee was a "chink" in ESPN's armor.

ebbucsfan
02-19-2012, 12:59 PM

Don't you mean..."Lintent"? :eyebrow:

bmanjones
02-19-2012, 01:11 PM
Did basically everything they had to. I really wander what the hell that guy was thinking. Like did he think no one would notice? Or maybe not think it was racist? I mean it would be ok maybe to joke around with your friends in your living room, but ESPN runs the world. What a jackas s

smith&wesson
02-19-2012, 01:12 PM
good. they deserve it. go home with that ****.

Kashmir13579
02-19-2012, 01:17 PM
LOL. How does Chink in the Armor slip passed everyone? Doesn't seem possible.

Hellcrooner
02-19-2012, 01:19 PM
what did they exactly said?

If it was blatantly racist then its fair they are fired.
if it was something minor a fine would be enough.

Sevilla91
02-19-2012, 01:28 PM
who really cares tho

hustleloyrspct
02-19-2012, 01:33 PM
This is absolutely ridiculous. I guess it's a crime to have a sense of humor.

utl768
02-19-2012, 01:34 PM

this

people are too sensitive

Hellcrooner
02-19-2012, 01:34 PM

Deppends of what they said.

heyman321
02-19-2012, 01:35 PM

It would be if you're not Asian or don't work at ESPN, which broadcasts and is seen by millions, but otherwise no it's not acceptable, genius.

Kashmir13579
02-19-2012, 01:36 PM
The headline was "Chink in the Armor" you idiots. People need to lose their jobs.

Mudvayne91
02-19-2012, 01:42 PM
People do realize chink in armor is a saying used to describe showing weakness and isn't racist at all by itself, right?

Maybe there was a racist pun intended for Lin, but it also could've just been awful judgement and coincidental. IDK if their intentions were malicious or not, but I don't think it's a given like some of you are leading on.

redhorse
02-19-2012, 01:44 PM

I agree. It would be ****in hilarious if like say Kobe shot like 8 3's and the headline says " ****** has a trigger" or when Tyson bit holyfields ear and it read " taste like chicken" or if a Spanish player had a bad game " wetback with a setback" yea hilarious

onlythisfar41
02-19-2012, 01:46 PM
http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/7591778/espn-statement-offensive-jeremy-lin-comments

This is really unfair. I hope something else was done too. Anchors only read what the TV writers put on the teleprompter, so it wasn't really his fault to say that, it's his job to read the teleprompter. And the mobile headline probably passed through multiple people to get publish, so if one person got fired, they all should.

The entire thing was stupid and multiple people should have gotten fired.

Actually when you are an anchor on a show like sportscenter or ESPN news you are responsible for writing your own script. They're not just reading what someone else wrote, they write all the jokes and the stuff like , "and the nasty slam by Lebron". So what they're reading on the prompter is indeed their own words.

So for someone to say something inappropriate like that, its completely on the anchor. However its also on the producer and show editors for not catching the problem before it ever made it on air.

da ThRONe
02-19-2012, 01:58 PM
People do realize chink in armor is a saying used to describe showing weakness and isn't racist at all by itself, right?

Maybe there was a racist pun intended for Lin, but it also could've just been awful judgement and coincidental. IDK if their intentions were malicious or not, but I don't think it's a given like some of you are leading on.

People get paid good money to keep this from happening. Malice or not(even though are we really that naive to believe that a media company that's pretty much known for it's puns and play on words in all their headlines would choose such a headline with no fore thought) it should have never cleared.

wjmoffatt
02-19-2012, 02:24 PM
That's BS that they fired him. Unless the guy is truly racist people can make mistakes. It's not like people don't mention all that damn time openly about whites and blacks, so they need to quit being so damn sensitive.

RaiderLakersA's
02-19-2012, 02:27 PM

Get a clue.

ESPN is a global sports leader. Whether willfully or by the most unbelievable level of ignorance known to man, their mass media outlets were responsible for offending millions, perhaps billions of viewers worldwide. Not just the Asians, mind you, but any decent, considerate human being. I was offended and I'm not Asian. And I'm not one that is easily offended at all.

This is not some grade school prank pulled amongst a small coterie of willing friends. This is not a comedy routine that people gladly stood in line and paid their hard-earned money to see. Comedy is not ESPN's mandate. This language borders on hate speech.

Never forget that ESPN is a network that has taken it on the chin with the LeBron "Decision," which many to this day feel compromised its integrity as a respectable news organization. And now this? I know many in this generation happily trade their good name and reputation at the drop of a dime, but that isn't the way that most reputable organizations and businesses operate. If the brass that run ESPN have any kind of business acumen at all, to say nothing of a social conscience, they'll continue to fire (better yet, flay) stupid sons of ******* like the ones responsible for the Lin "gaffes" with zero tolerance.

Bottomline: It's 2012 and there is no place in America or the world for such idiocy en masse.

sunsfan88
02-19-2012, 02:34 PM
What did the ESPNEWS guy say? Is there a video of it?

PleaseBeNice
02-19-2012, 02:57 PM
jeremy lin is whats wrong with this world

jakub
02-19-2012, 03:01 PM
good. they deserve it. go home with that ****.

You Asian, brah?

braveniler58
02-19-2012, 03:03 PM
I'm amazed it went as far as firing and suspending. People are way too sensitive/PC. No sense of humor at all.

EDIT: Honestly, I think "The Yellow Mamba" is much worse than "Chink in the armor" -- Chink in the armor is a pun, and the statement actually does reflect Lin's game as it was referring to his turnovers. "The Yellow Mamba" is just blatantly racist. The yellow is there because Lin is asian. There's no other reason for yellow to be there at all.

Ridiculous double-standard.

NYYCowboys
02-19-2012, 03:23 PM
Why did the ESPNews guy get suspended? What did he do?

ink
02-19-2012, 03:24 PM

I guess that would be true if it was actually funny but it wasn't. It was pretty juvenile and unprofessional. Should ESPN be writing headlines for kids? How about fart jokes in headlines? That would be awesome too. :rolleyes:

ink
02-19-2012, 03:25 PM
Get a clue.

ESPN is a global sports leader. Whether willfully or by the most unbelievable level of ignorance known to man, their mass media outlets were responsible for offending millions, perhaps billions of viewers worldwide. Not just the Asians, mind you, but any decent, considerate human being. I was offended and I'm not Asian. And I'm not one that is easily offended at all.

This is not some grade school prank pulled amongst a small coterie of willing friends. This is not a comedy routine that people gladly stood in line and paid their hard-earned money to see. Comedy is not ESPN's mandate. This language borders on hate speech.

Never forget that ESPN is a network that has taken it on the chin with the LeBron "Decision," which many to this day feel compromised its integrity as a respectable news organization. And now this? I know many in this generation happily trade their good name and reputation at the drop of a dime, but that isn't the way that most reputable organizations and businesses operate. If the brass that run ESPN have any kind of business acumen at all, to say nothing of a social conscience, they'll continue to fire (better yet, flay) stupid sons of ******* like the ones responsible for the Lin "gaffes" with zero tolerance.

Bottomline: It's 2012 and there is no place in America or the world for such idiocy en masse.

Well said.

Tmath
02-19-2012, 03:26 PM
He's getting people fired now? Man, this kid really can do everything.

ink
02-19-2012, 03:27 PM
He's getting people fired now? Man, this kid really can do everything.

lol. Funny thing is he's done very little in all of this. Literally. It's mainly a media free for all.

topdog
02-19-2012, 03:35 PM
Being that it is like having a headline that says "Floyd Mayweather reniggs on his contract," the firing was appropriate. If in media, you're going to set a standard for firing Don Imus for his racist comments, you can't be creating double standards just because it is towards Asians instead of to blacks.

As silly as it may sound, I know some people who would not get what is wrong with that headline or the chink in the armor one either. And what I mean is that they don't know the racial slur of chink or make the connection between "renigg" and "******" or "picnic" for that matter.

beliges
02-19-2012, 03:37 PM
This is one of the major problems of this country. We have lost our sense of humor. We are so concerned with how certain things make people feel or whether people will be insulted. We are so politically correct that its becoming ridiculous. Nothing racist with saying "Chink in the armor." People need to get over themselves. If someone gets insulted over a joke then so be it. Who the hell cares. Much like the people on this forum, people like to ***** and whine over every little thing. Get the hell over it bro. Learn to laugh at yourself a little bit.

AntiG
02-19-2012, 03:56 PM
This is one of the major problems of this country. We have lost our sense of humor. We are so concerned with how certain things make people feel or whether people will be insulted. We are so politically correct that its becoming ridiculous. Nothing racist with saying "Chink in the armor." People need to get over themselves. If someone gets insulted over a joke then so be it. Who the hell cares. Much like the people on this forum, people like to ***** and whine over every little thing. Get the hell over it bro. Learn to laugh at yourself a little bit.

Yes, there certainly is something VERY racist about saying "Chink in the armor" when you are describing an Asian American player.

Qwertys
02-19-2012, 04:07 PM
People are way to freaking sensitive, if this really offended you then you need to grow a pair, this country is full of oversensitive baby's

Dark Donnie
02-19-2012, 04:07 PM
Can't believe he got fired

Hellcrooner
02-19-2012, 04:46 PM

Why am i not surprised reading this kind of post from YOU.:rolleyes:

Not that i hadnt already spoted where you hatred for mr G , came.

JWO35
02-19-2012, 04:50 PM
As far as the guy on TV getting suspended is BS, I highly doubt he wrote what was on the prompter...but of course everyone has to take the PC route.

GiantsSwaGG
02-19-2012, 05:17 PM
More people should have been fired....and more poster should be banned thinking it's funny!

DaBear
02-19-2012, 05:20 PM
Deserved to be fired. **** this sense of humor crap some of you are spewing. I guess Imus wasn't having a sense of humor in his comments, right?

Qwertys
02-19-2012, 05:24 PM
Deserved to be fired. **** this sense of humor crap some of you are spewing. I guess Imus wasn't having a sense of humor in his comments, right?

It was a complete joke that Imus got fired, thanks to Al Sharpton who's a huge hypocrite. Look up al Sharpton Greek homos on YouTube, I really wish Imus would have played that but he backed down.

beliges
02-19-2012, 05:24 PM
Why am i not surprised reading this kind of post from YOU.:rolleyes:

Not that i hadnt already spoted where you hatred for mr G , came.

I dont hate Mr. Gasol. In fact he's white. I think he cost his team last year in the playoffs and has severely underperformed this season. I dont "hate" any player in the NBA. I could care less what becomes of these guys. But when a player costs his team in the playoffs, and then again in the following season, I will not like him if I am a fan of the team.

beliges
02-19-2012, 05:29 PM

Such a perfect example you brought up with the Imus thing. What Imus said, and the way he said it had obvious malice intentions behind the words. Imus did not say it in a humurous way or in a light hearted manner. He said it with disgust and hatred. That is what made what he said racist. Im not black but sometimes I call my white friends ***** as a joke. That doesnt make me racist. Have a damn sense of humor. If you call someone racial slurs and have hatred and malice intent behind it then it surely becomes racist. But for people to get insulted by "Chink in the armor" is just plain idiotic. ANd if you got insulted by that then youre an idiot. Im sorry. Some people think so highly of themselves as if everythng said or done is directed towards them. Get a life.

beliges
02-19-2012, 05:33 PM
let's test our your theory in the real world. i dare you to use the work "chink" every time you make reference an Asian person in the real world and on facebook and let's see how people react. maybe than you can realize how racist this word is.

Im come from a race that has "racial slurs" and my friends call me that all the time and I dont get all butt hurt over it because it is meant as a joke. There are no malice intentions behind it. I call my black friends my ******. I call my mexican friends "lazy Mexicans." Yet we all function with harmony and love. You might be ignorant to the term racist and you are not aware of what that term means. One is not RACIST because of a word they use. They are RACIST because of the emotions behind the word. I have plenty of Asian friends and Ive called them chinks, chinkola. fish and etc...Theyre not stupid enough to think I am insulting them. People are dumb in general. And they need to get over it. Sense of humor is more important than people getting mad because someone made a funny/clever JOKE.

beliges
02-19-2012, 05:34 PM
let's test our your theory in the real world. i dare you to use the work "chink" every time you make reference an Asian person in the real world and on facebook and let's see how people react. maybe than you can realize how racist this word is.

You have FOB in your name. Does that mean you are racist? Obviously it means youre racist.

Tmath
02-19-2012, 05:38 PM
lol. Funny thing is he's done very little in all of this. Literally. It's mainly a media free for all.

The same media that hyped him to no other.

FOBolous
02-19-2012, 05:41 PM
You have FOB in your name. Does that mean you are racist? Obviously it means youre racist.

"Fob" is not a racial slur. It's a slang used among Asians to reference a recent Asian immigrant...kinda like how "ABC" is a slang used among Asians to reference an Asian that's born in America. Nothing "racial" about it. I'm a "FOB" hence the "FOB" in my username.

FOBolous
02-19-2012, 05:43 PM
Im come from a race that has "racial slurs" and my friends call me that all the time and I dont get all butt hurt over it because it is meant as a joke. There are no malice intentions behind it. I call my black friends my ******. I call my mexican friends "lazy Mexicans." Yet we all function with harmony and love. You might be ignorant to the term racist and you are not aware of what that term means. One is not RACIST because of a word they use. They are RACIST because of the emotions behind the word. I have plenty of Asian friends and Ive called them chinks, chinkola. fish and etc...Theyre not stupid enough to think I am insulting them. People are dumb in general. And they need to get over it. Sense of humor is more important than people getting mad because someone made a funny/clever JOKE.

there's a difference between personal life and professional manners. there's things you don't do in a professional world. using racial slurs is one of them. use a racial slur at work and watch how fast YOU get fired. I don't understand why this is so hard for people to understand.

seriously...this crap pisses me off...the double standards when it comes to racism against Asians and all the other races. using racial slurs against all other races is a major "no no" but when it's used on Asians...everyone's always like "oh why are you so sensitive. it's JUST a joke." STFU.

beliges
02-19-2012, 05:46 PM
"Fob" is not a racial slur. It's a slang used among Asians to reference a recent Asian immigrant...kinda like how "ABC" is a slang used among Asians to reference an Asian that's born in America. Nothing "racial" about it. I'm a "FOB" hence the "FOB" in my username.

FOB is a derogatory term used for immigrants that have just arrived in this country. It stands for Fresh Off the Boat. Its derogatory in nature. Just like Chink and Ngger are. However, its the way you use the word and not simply the word itself that makes it racist. If you are offended by the term Chink in a joking manner than I am sorry for you and you simply need to get over it. Simple as that.

beliges
02-19-2012, 05:50 PM
there's a difference between personal life and professional manners. there's things you don't do in a professional world. using racial slurs is one of them. use a racial slur at work and watch how fast YOU get fired. I don't understand why this is so hard for people to understand.

Thats exactly my point. You get fired because we as a society are soooo pussified and so sensitive. We have become too politically correct. We worry about how everything is gonna make everyone feel. We dont want to offend people to the point that people like this writer gets fired for not doing anything wrong. Its so damn silly. Honestly, was anyone really offended by that title? Really? People are just too sensitive to everything in todays world. We over-protect and shelter everyone nowadays. Its so dumb. And im sorry to say but if you or anyone else was offended by that line then you guys are just a bunch of little vaginas. Thats all there is to it.

FOBolous
02-19-2012, 05:50 PM
FOB is a derogatory term used for immigrants that have just arrived in this country. It stands for Fresh Off the Boat. Its derogatory in nature. Just like Chink and Ngger are. However, its the way you use the word and not simply the word itself that makes it racist. If you are offended by the term Chink in a joking manner than I am sorry for you and you simply need to get over it. Simple as that.

i know what it means. it's not a derogatory term. it's a slang.

FOB = Fresh Off the Boat = recent Asian immigrants

ABC = American Born Chinese = Asians born in America

MIT = Made In Taiwan = a more specific version of "FOB" that reference Taiwanese immigrants specifically.

do you want me to continue with my lists of SLANGS used by Asians? FOB is as "derogatory" as ABC or MIT.

FOBolous
02-19-2012, 05:52 PM
Thats exactly my point. You get fired because we as a society are soooo pussified and so sensitive. We have become too politically correct. We worry about how everything is gonna make everyone feel. We dont want to offend people to the point that people like this writer gets fired for not doing anything wrong. Its so damn silly. Honestly, was anyone really offended by that title? Really? People are just too sensitive to everything in todays world. We over-protect and shelter everyone nowadays. Its so dumb. And im sorry to say but if you or anyone else was offended by that line then you guys are just a bunch of little vaginas. Thats all there is to it.

people who have experienced racism and experienced these slurs used against them.

goalie
02-19-2012, 05:53 PM

"Reneg" would be the proper abbreviation. No one would ever use your version unless they were intending to be malicious or they just can't' spell.

Your abbreviation only exists in the same world that spells ridiculous with an e.

The Imus and Lin situation are similar, people using words that are offensive without realizing how offensive they actually are until they say them out loud.

Your version of reneg would be intentional if produced by a person in the media, because they know how to spell and there would be no other explanation than to say this was meant to offend. You don't spell reneg that way unless you intend to hurt someone.

beliges
02-19-2012, 05:54 PM

MIT = Made In Taiwan = a more specific version of "FOB" that reference Taiwanese immigrants.

do you want me to continue with my lists of SLANGS used by Asians?

Its derogatory in nature. FOB is a derogatory term for immigrant. Its a term used for people that dont know how to speak English or speak with a heavy accent. Its a term used for people that come to this country and have different cultures, different traditions and different ways of doing things. Its certainly derogatory in nature. No different than than the word Chink. But you use it in a way that has no racist connotations behind it. You use it without any malice intent behind you. That makes it NOT racist. Once again, I will repeat. A word in and of itself is not racist. However, the way you use the word or the emotions behind the word make it racist.

FOBolous
02-19-2012, 05:54 PM
"Reneg" would be the proper abbreviation. No one would ever use your version unless they were intending to be malicious or they just can't' spell.

Your abbreviation only exists in the same world that spells ridiculous with an e.

The Imus and Lin situation are similar, people using words that are offensive without realizing how offensive they actually are until they say them at the wrong time.

Your version of reneg would be intentional if produced by a person in the media, because they know how to spell and there would be no other explanation than to say this was meant to offend. You don't spell reneg that way unless you intend to hurt someone.

excuses. a racial slur is a racial slur. period.

DaBear
02-19-2012, 05:56 PM
LOL idiots. "Chink in the armor." Jeremy Lin. It's not hard to figure out.

FOBolous
02-19-2012, 05:57 PM
Its derogatory in nature. FOB is a derogatory term for immigrant. Its a term used for people that dont know how to speak English or speak with a heavy accent. Its a term used for people that come to this country and have different cultures, different traditions and different ways of doing things. Its certainly derogatory in nature. No different than than the word Chink. But you use it in a way that has no racist connotations behind it. You use it without any malice intent behind you. That makes it NOT racist. Once again, I will repeat. A word in and of itself is not racist. However, the way you use the word or the emotions behind the word make it racist.

dude. FOB is not a derogatory term. It is a slang. How many times do I have to repeat myself? I'm going to keep reposting this until you get it through your head that it is just a slang:

MIT = Made In Taiwan = a more specific version of "FOB" that reference Taiwanese immigrants.

do you want me to continue with my lists of SLANGS used by Asians?

using the word "FOB" to describe a recent Asian immigrant is as "derogatory" as using "ABC" to describe an Asian that's born in America. you arguing with me on this is like someone trying to argue with me the color blue is not blue.

beliges
02-19-2012, 06:00 PM
dude. FOB is not a derogatory term. It is a slang. How many times do I have to repeat myself? I'm going to keep reposting this until you get it through your head that it is just a slang:

using the word "FOB" to describe a recent Asian immigrant is as "derogatory" as using "ABC" to describe an Asian that's born in America. you arguing with me on this is like someone trying to argue with me the color blue is not blue.

You can repeat as many times as youd like but thats not going to change the fact that FOB is a derogatory term used to describe immigrants. Believe me, youre not the only immigrant here. The word FOB by nature is derogatory. The word Immigrant is not. FOB = immigrant with a derogatory nature. Chink is also a slang. NGGR is a slang. Armo is a slang. Beaner is a slang. But they are all derogatory in nature. Just because a word is a slang doesnt mean its not also derogatory in nature. FAGG is a slang, but also derogatory. Get it?

Kucka
02-19-2012, 06:06 PM
Wrong place wrong time for Max Bretos.

I think the writers/editors should definitely have to sit through a educational class in diversity but to be fired seems like a last resort measure.

I recall seeing and interview with Michael Irvin and Wes Welker and he reffered to him as "a little white boy on the field" and asked if that perception of him helped him gain a competative edge.

pd1dish
02-19-2012, 06:07 PM
espn just trying to save their *** and let someone take the fall for it.......

that article would have had to go through at least one editor to be published. it should have never been published if EVERYONE was doing their jobs. and then the fact that it made it to ESPNEWS is questionable because it would have had to go through even more people for it to make the show. and like someone else said, the anchor is just reading the teleprompter. its not his fault at all.

beliges
02-19-2012, 06:07 PM
fck. ***. ashole. ngger. chink. wtback. crackers. btch. slt. whore. ARE ALL BAD WORDS NO MATTER WHAT CONTEXT YOU USE IT IN. IT HAS NO PLACE IN THE PROFESSIONAL WORLD. If you want to call your gf btch in private...feel free. But don't be surprise if people look at you in a bad way when you use it in public. USE ANY OF THESE WORDS WHEN YOU TALK TO YOUR BOSS AND SEE HOW FAST YOU GET FIRED.

You are proving my point though. These are all words we all use in our daily lives, these are all jokes we say in our daily lives. But when it comes to the public we have to be so considerate as to how everyone will feel. We have to be so sensitive to everything and everyone's little emotions and we have to protect and shelter everyone from every bad, funny, clever thing because a minority of pussufied overly sensitive self righteous idiots might feel as though they are being personally attacked. Its sad that this is what has become of our society. Everythning has to be acceptable to everyone at every time. The real world doesnt work that way. I cannot imagine how anyone was actually offended by what was said in that ESPN article title. However, because a few people who like to whine and ***** and love to hear themsleves talk complained, this dude got fired. Its not right.

rhymeratic
02-19-2012, 06:12 PM
All I know is there's a job available at ESPN... need to know their title so I can apply.

Max Power
02-19-2012, 06:15 PM
When I first read about this, the anchor wasn't mentioned. I was so hoping it was Staurt Scott. Bretos is beyond cheesy, won't be missed.

From a positive standpoint, ESPN will never say anything remotely negative about Lin ever again even if it's warranted. It's known as the McNabb Effect at ESPN.

Odominator
02-19-2012, 06:18 PM
You are proving my point though. These are all words we all use in our daily lives, these are all jokes we say in our daily lives. But when it comes to the public we have to be so considerate as to how everyone will feel. We have to be so sensitive to everything and everyone's little emotions and we have to protect and shelter everyone from every bad, funny, clever thing because a minority of pussufied overly sensitive self righteous idiots might feel as though they are being personally attacked. Its sad that this is what has become of our society. Everythning has to be acceptable to everyone at every time. The real world doesnt work that way. I cannot imagine how anyone was actually offended by what was said in that ESPN article title. However, because a few people who like to whine and ***** and love to hear themsleves talk complained, this dude got fired. Its not right.

You use those words/jokes in your daily lives?? :facepalm:

beliges
02-19-2012, 06:20 PM
You use those words/jokes in your daily lives?? :facepalm:

Yes, directly to all my Asian, Mexican and Black friends. We are not ignorant to think that it implicates us as racist. We have a sense of humor and we understand the simple difference between being funny, being clever and being a racist.

Mudvayne91
02-19-2012, 06:21 PM
People get paid good money to keep this from happening. Malice or not(even though are we really that naive to believe that a media company that's pretty much known for it's puns and play on words in all their headlines would choose such a headline with no fore thought) it should have never cleared.

No arguments there. I'm fine with what ESPN did. I just was pointing out that it's not clear that there was racist intent out of it, which many seem to believe.

beliges
02-19-2012, 06:23 PM
No arguments there. I'm fine with what ESPN did. I just was pointing out that it's not clear that there was racist intent out of it, which many seem to believe.

Many people are ignorant fools if this is what they believe.

Broadwayjoe NY
02-19-2012, 06:35 PM
Many people are ignorant fools if this is what they believe.

Or not teenage bigots, who are so far removed from reality that they don't realize the damage they do with using these words.

There's a reason leaders in our black, asian, mexican, indian etc. communities fight to stop using these racial slurs in a joking, everyday-manner. You don't realize there is anything wrong with what you are saying, because you are far too young to understand the implications with the history behind those words.

Go ask you black friend's grandparents or elder family members if it's okay to call each other ni**er in a joking manner. I will guarantee you 90%+ of them will smack you so hard it'll make you think twice before even thinking about saying it again. I at the very least know mine would and all of my friends'.

People suffered through a lot to get rid of these words and it's ignorant, immature children like yourself that are dragging society back every day.

Mudvayne91
02-19-2012, 06:39 PM
Or not teenage bigots, who are so far removed from reality that they don't realize the damage they do with using these words.

There's a reason leaders in our black, asian, mexican, indian etc. communities fight to stop using these racial slurs in a joking, everyday-manner. You don't realize there is anything wrong with what you are saying, because you are far too young to understand the implications with the history behind those words.

Go ask you black friend's grandparents or elder family members if it's okay to call each other ni**er in a joking manner. I will guarantee you 90%+ of them will smack you so hard it'll make you think twice before even thinking about saying it again. I at the very least know mine would and all of my friends'.

People suffered through a lot to get rid of these words and it's ignorant, immature children like yourself that are dragging society back every day.

Dude, chink in armor is a phrase. It by itself has no racial meaning whatsoever. Why don't you get this? If this story was about a non Asian, this wouldn't even been a question of racism. It's really poor judgement and who knows, maybe there was intent. I doubt it, but who knows.

Here's the definition.....

chink in one's armor

A vulnerable area, as in Putting things off to the last minute is the chink in Pat's armor and is bound to get her in trouble one day . This term relies on chink in the sense of "a crack or gap," a meaning dating from about 1400 and used figuratively since the mid-1600s.

beliges
02-19-2012, 06:45 PM

The reason why your black, asian, mexican and indian leaders fight to stop using these racial slurs is to appease to the mass population and garner up more votes in order for them to remain in office and go back on everything they promise in the first place. You think its more important these people in power to fight to stop using these words over fighting to bring about real justice in our country, or fighting to help prevent poverty, sexual abuse, drug abuse. Or fighting to create jobs or fighting to promote peace? Anyways, I can promise you I am older than probably 85% of the posters on this forum. I have friends of all different ethnic backgrounds. Some born in this country, some born in different countries. I am a first generation in this country. My parents were not born here. I am not ignorant enough to not comprehend the different between racism and a joke. I can understand the different between racism and non-racism. I see absolutely nothing wrong with taking these racial slurs and putting a humurous connotation behind it. I actually think this helps alleviate the racial connotations behind the word. Just like the word NGGR no longer means what it used to mean because it has taken on a whole new meaning now depending on the context you use it. I have a very fundamental understanding on the history of these words but at the same time im not dumb enough to not be able to differentiate between racism and humor.

jammastershake
02-19-2012, 06:52 PM
chink in the armor...... hahahaha still laughing at that. i'm sure the guy who got fired could get a job at the onion or something.

Sssmush
02-19-2012, 07:02 PM
if you're ESPN, how can you NOT fire them, even if there is no public outcry?

If the bloggers/reporters/editors are capable of doing something that stupid and irresponsible, who knows what they might do next? If they honestly weren't aware of the
significance of what the phrase meant or how it could be offensive, then they could drive
the truck off a cliff at any moment, and you just gotta fire them.

I mean it's unfortunate all the way around... hopefully the fired employee can learn and recover from it somehow

ink
02-19-2012, 07:22 PM
Deserved to be fired. **** this sense of humor crap some of you are spewing.

Agreed. A weak pun in a headline is not that funny, if at all. I mean seriously, what kind of weaksauce is it to hide behind "humour" when it isn't even funny?? Come on.

ink
02-19-2012, 07:23 PM
chink in the armor...... hahahaha still laughing at that. i'm sure the guy who got fired could get a job at the onion or something.

Umm, the Onion is actually funny. This is just stupid.

ink
02-19-2012, 07:26 PM
Dude, chink in armor is a phrase. It by itself has no racial meaning whatsoever. Why don't you get this? If this story was about a non Asian, this wouldn't even been a question of racism. It's really poor judgement and who knows, maybe there was intent. I doubt it, but who knows.

Here's the definition.....

1. the phrase was not used by itself, it was juxtaposed with the name of an Asian player about whom thousands of stupid racist comments have been made over the last few weeks.

2. the story is not about a non Asian. This is an obvious lesson about context.

ink
02-19-2012, 07:31 PM
I mean it's unfortunate all the way around... hopefully the fired employee can learn and recover from it somehow

Totally agree with this.

Mudvayne91
02-19-2012, 07:58 PM
1. the phrase was not used by itself, it was juxtaposed with the name of an Asian player about whom thousands of stupid racist comments have been made over the last few weeks.

2. the story is not about a non Asian. This is an obvious lesson about context.

Right, it was used after the NO's game when Lin had a bad game and the Knicks' winning streak was broken where the meaning/definition actually fit well.

My point being that it's possible the writer didn't mean any harm and overlooked how it could have offended people because he was just using the phrase because they thought the meaning of the phrase worked well. Lin is the face of the Knicks right now, he's getting all the media coverage. It's irresponsible and you'd think someone would've have pointed out it wasn't a good idea, however, I question how you know with %100 certainty that the guy meant to use the phrase as a racial pun instead using some bad judgement. Even Bretos used the phrase, here's his response

Bretos apologized for his word choice via Twitter Saturday: “Wanted 2 apologize 2 all those I have upset. Not done with any racial reference. Despite intention,phrase was inappropriate in this context.”

“My wife is Asian, would never intentionally say anything to disrespect her and that community,” he said in a follow-up post.

NYY_NYK4
02-19-2012, 08:10 PM
Malicious intent or not, this guy deserves to be fired. If your not smart enough to not use the word "chink" in a headline regarding an Asian person, then you gots to go! Jason Whitlock gets, yet, another free pass. I hate that man with a passion.

AddiX
02-19-2012, 08:16 PM
A lot more people should be fired.

I know people who work at espn and they tell me it's an awful place to work, it's a known sexist and racist environment.

On top of that, do you realize how many people proof read EVERYTHING at espn? When do you ever see bad writing or a typo on there website? A lot of people saw this, laughed, and said fine, leave it as it is. Pretty sad...

Mudvayne91
02-19-2012, 08:16 PM
Malicious intent or not, this guy deserves to be fired. If your not smart enough to not use the word "chink" in a headline regarding an Asian person, then you gots to go! Jason Whitlock gets, yet, another free pass. I hate that man with a passion.

I don't disagree. I said I was fine with the firing on page 2 or 3. It's absolutely foolish journalism and the writer, editors and anchor should have caught it. I just don't think it's fair to proclaim them racists when it's very possible they had lapses of good judgement.
agree 100%. I cant believe the mass of people try to throw that innocent card on the headline. I am glad ESPN dished out the punishment, unlike Fox Sports on that fat piece of **** Whitlock.

Right, it's guilty until proven innocent......
Are people really this dumb???? The bottom line is you can not refer to an Asian as a Chink. How old are you fools. It must be a bunch of ignorant kids in this forum.

The fact that some people in here say "Im still laughing" shows how ignorant and racist that statement was. Since when has "Chink in the armor" ever been funny? Never unless you put an Asians picture under. If you want to laugh at racist ignorant comments, go right ahead, but stop pretending that its not racist!!!!

Again, chink in one's armor is a turn of phrase derives from the 1400s that has to do with showing weakness. In no way shape or form does the phrase have any derogatory meaning towards any race. It's like there's a double standard here. It's ok to use the phrase unless someone of Asian decent is involved or else it's automatically considered to be racist?

Mrphilly
02-19-2012, 08:21 PM
Are people really this dumb???? The bottom line is you can not refer to an Asian as a Chink. How old are you fools. It must be a bunch of ignorant kids in this forum.

The fact that some people in here say "Im still laughing" shows how ignorant and racist that statement was. Since when has "Chink in the armor" ever been funny? Never unless you put an Asians picture under. If you want to laugh at racist ignorant comments, go right ahead, but stop pretending that its not racist!!!!

funkybudda
02-19-2012, 08:25 PM
I don't disagree. I said I was fine with the firing on page 2 or 3. It's absolutely foolish journalism and the writer, editors and anchor should have caught it. I just don't think it's fair to proclaim them racists when it's very possible they had lapses of good judgement.

You a friend of OJ Simpson and Casey Anthony?

NYY_NYK4
02-19-2012, 08:27 PM

Im not saying he's racist. I cant say that because I do not know this person. It may have just been an error in judgement. Be that as it may, its unacceptable for something like this to happen. He doesnt belong in this line of work.

LAcowBOMBER
02-19-2012, 08:28 PM
Source: Wikipedia

Chinese people considered the term offensive from the outset. Certain Asian-American community members still believe that chink and other racial insults are not taken seriously enough by public officials.[citation needed] Kenneth Chu has been used as an example of the seriousness of the slur, when he was found murdered with the word chink scratched into his car

For people that don't think that word is on the level of the N word or any other racial slur, then maybe they should read this. It was a racist comment pure and simple.

NYY_NYK4
02-19-2012, 08:30 PM
And for this to happen after that sloppy **** Whitlocks tweet is just adding insult to injury. He should be fired twice =) I feel bad for Jeremy Lin.

Mr Costanza
02-19-2012, 08:34 PM
I hope that guy gets hired by comedy central because that **** was HILARIOUS

You must live a very very boring life of you find that "HILARIOUS".

I don't think it was bad enough to lose a job over but at the same time it was not really all that funny either. Calling a Chinese player a chink. I don't see why these idiots here think its comedy central worthy. If they call a black guy the n word should they go on tour next? Grow up.

Mudvayne91
02-19-2012, 08:35 PM
Im not saying he's racist. I cant say that because I do not know this person. It may have just been an error in judgement. Be that as it may, its unacceptable for something like this to happen. He doesnt belong in this line of work.

That's all I'm really trying to say. Agree with everything you said.
You a friend of OJ Simpson and Casey Anthony?
No, but I do believe giving people the benefit of the doubt. I'm not a fan of automatically assuming the worst out of people w/o actually knowing the truth. Do you think Bretos is racist for using the phrase on ESPN despite having an Asian wife or do you think it's possible he had a lapse of judgement and made a mistake?

Teeboy1487
02-19-2012, 08:37 PM
I love this country from the bottom of my heart, but racial discrimination is my biggest issue with this country. Race is not important as the US makes it out to be. It doesn't matter what race you are. It's simply a gene. It's just so ignorant and petty to make all of these slurs and stereotypes that are continuously made.. Who cares what race this kid is. He defied all odds alone by being an undrafted player from Harvard. He is firmly taking advantage of the opportunity he was given. This country still has alot of evolving to do from a racial standpoint.

ShakeN'Bake
02-19-2012, 08:37 PM
I agree. It would be ****in hilarious if like say Kobe shot like 8 3's and the headline says " ****** has a trigger" or when Tyson bit holyfields ear and it read " taste like chicken" or if a Spanish player had a bad game " wetback with a setback" yea hilarious

Those first two are hilarious.

AntiG
02-19-2012, 08:48 PM

Bingo.

heyman321
02-19-2012, 08:50 PM
Oh, ok. Can I ask how you know there was malicious intent without any doubt? I'm sure Bretos' use of the term was intentional too despite saying he didn't mean any racial intention out of it and having an Asian wife, right? It's absolutely impossible to think that the writer made a very stupid mistake and wasn't thinking of the context.

I am far from a racist, so don't try to push some BS on me. In fact, I really like Lin. I think he's a breath of fresh air in a league full of cocky jerks. And by the way, when you use name calling and have no actual proof to try and prove your point, your argument looks like crap.

I never mentioned you being racist, or even suggesting you don't like Lin. I called you an idiot for arguing that there might be a possibility that it wasn't intentional. You don't need proof to see that this was some writer who thought "Man, this would be so clever and funny to call him a chink, but cover it up in a phrase so that there won't be any repercussions! Haha I'm a genius!".

It's called reading between the lines. This isn't a triple murder-homicide where all the evidence was erased and there are no links to anything. It's a guy who thought it be funny to make a bad joke, and he got fired accordingly.

jrands
02-19-2012, 08:55 PM
Frankly, I like Max Bretos. I agree it's on the editors and writers, but it's also on Max.

"...and I'm Max Bretos???"

Mrphilly
02-19-2012, 08:56 PM
Again, chink in one's armor is a turn of phrase derives from the 1400s that has to do with showing weakness. In no way shape or form does the phrase have any derogatory meaning towards any race. It's like there's a double standard here. It's ok to use the phrase unless someone of Asian decent is involved or else it's automatically considered to be racist?[/QUOTE]

Exactly!!!! A hoe is just a garden tool, unless you put a woman's picture underneath it. A ****** is a female dog, unless you put a woman's picture underneath it. A faggo t is a bundle of sticks unless you put a guys picture underneath is.

So there are a lot of words that mean no harm, but there are ways to make them hurtful and racist and that is what ESPN did.

Mudvayne91
02-19-2012, 09:08 PM
I never mentioned you being racist, or even suggesting you don't like Lin. I called you an idiot for arguing that there might be a possibility that it wasn't intentional. You don't need proof to see that this was some writer who thought "Man, this would be so clever and funny to call him a chink, but cover it up in a phrase so that there won't be any repercussions! Haha I'm a genius!".

It's called reading between the lines. This isn't a triple murder-homicide where all the evidence was erased and there are no links to anything. It's a guy who thought it be funny to make a bad joke, and he got fired accordingly.
If that's your view on the writer, what do you think of Bretos then?

AntiG
02-19-2012, 09:12 PM

The Imus and Lin situation are similar, people using words that are offensive without realizing how offensive they actually are until they say them out loud.

Yes I know, I intentionally misspelled it to make my point. Kinda like how the ESPN writer intentionally wrote a "clever" headline using Chink under a picture of an Asian ballplayer to make his racist point. Its not a case of not realizing how offensive it is until it is said out loud. Everyone knows that chink is a racist phrase when used to describe an Asian.

FOBolous
02-19-2012, 09:28 PM

Exactly!!!! A hoe is just a garden tool, unless you put a woman's picture underneath it. A ****** is a female dog, unless you put a woman's picture underneath it. A faggo t is a bundle of sticks unless you put a guys picture underneath is.

So there are a lot of words that mean no harm, but there are ways to make them hurtful and racist and that is what ESPN did.

:clap:

barreleffact
02-19-2012, 09:36 PM
It was a complete joke that Imus got fired, thanks to Al Sharpton who's a huge hypocrite. Look up al Sharpton Greek homos on YouTube, I really wish Imus would have played that but he backed down.

Yea, entirely thanks to Al Sharpton with no responsibility to Imus at all. Al Sharpton had no right to be offended when an entire team of black women are called "nappy headed hoes." No right at all.:rolleyes:

barreleffact
02-19-2012, 09:41 PM
Yes, directly to all my Asian, Mexican and Black friends. We are not ignorant to think that it implicates us as racist. We have a sense of humor and we understand the simple difference between being funny, being clever and being a racist.

This is wrong on so many levels:

1- speaking privately to your friends and speaking PUBLICLY to the masses are entirely different. If you can't understand that, you are someone that should never procreate.

2- Just because YOUR friends accept your racist jokes does NOT mean all minorities find them acceptable. That is akin to saying your black friend is king of black people, and since he approves you to say it it's law. Obviously, that is not the case.

3- IDC if your friends are X minority. If you joke with them, you probably have no respect for them. Generally, it is not funny. At times, it may be, but I guarantee you would never go to minority dense areas and say slurs. I guarantee you would never say things like that at your job. If it is unacceptable and detrimental to your health or job, why would it be acceptable in private?

barreleffact
02-19-2012, 09:45 PM
Those first two are hilarious.

The first one is only funny to those that use any excuse to say the N word and hope its socially acceptable. The same types that love to quote songs and use the N word to see how others react. Basically, *******s.

The second is funny, especially because most people fail to acknowledge EVERYONE loves chicken. Dumbest stereotype I've ever heard in all honesty.

The third is unnecessary as well. Like seriously? When you have to resort to racism, it seemingly removes any hint of cleverness one may have been credited for.

Cal827
02-19-2012, 10:14 PM
:dance:

xfyre
02-19-2012, 11:12 PM
sad thing is..Jeremy Lin probably doesn't even know about this incident..so that guy lost his job for something not even that big of a deal

Sssmush
02-19-2012, 11:41 PM
I love this country from the bottom of my heart, but racial discrimination is my biggest issue with this country. Race is not important as the US makes it out to be. It doesn't matter what race you are. It's simply a gene. It's just so ignorant and petty to make all of these slurs and stereotypes that are continuously made.. Who cares what race this kid is. He defied all odds alone by being an undrafted player from Harvard. He is firmly taking advantage of the opportunity he was given. This country still has alot of evolving to do from a racial standpoint.

We all have to rise to a higher level and overcome racism. The United States is actually quite progressive. Japan, Korea and China all have their own types of racism. How many non-japanese people do you see in Japan? Most if not all of the middle eastern, african, south american, and asian countries have a degree of racial bias and xenophobia built into their cultures. In fact it is the more progressive countries like France, USA, England, Holland, etc who make most of the effort to overcome racism, by embracing an integrated society. An integrated society forces people to deal with racial and tribal differences. If we lived in some different eastern european or middle eastern country or whatever, then probably if the sports announcer said "chink in the armor" we would all laugh and have no idea that it was even prejudicial or racist. Why would we? There aren't even any asians, or specifically chinese asians, in the entire country. We have no problem with "racism" because our society is built in such a way that no other races or cultures are allowed inside. Like I'm guessing that "chink in the armor" wouldn't upset anybody in japan, they might even think it's funny.

So, yeah, we all have to make an effort. I don't know any of the espn folks, but I'd imagine, based on the banter during shows, that there are a good number of them that are kind of in the "good ol' boy" network or whatever, and have no qualms getting a good laugh off something like this, or feel any social responsibility about it. But I'm sure there are those that DO care, also.

anyways, we all gotta do better.

Sssmush
02-19-2012, 11:46 PM
anyways, Jeremy Lin went to Harvard. So, speaking of Harvard, if any of you think you aren't racially prejudiced and want to have your minds blown, check out a couple of these links:

[Asian American test]

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/Study?tid=-1

[skin tone test]

[gender test]

FOBolous
02-19-2012, 11:56 PM
anyways, Jeremy Lin went to Harvard. So, speaking of Harvard, if any of you think you aren't racially prejudiced and want to have your minds blown, check out a couple of these links:

[Asian American test]

[skin tone test]

[gender test]

the links lead to a whole bunch of gibberish :confused:

Sssmush
02-20-2012, 12:01 AM
the links lead to a whole bunch of gibberish :confused:

Hmmmm, they should work. Try starting from here:

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/demo/

and follow the steps into the tests. mind bending is all I can say

Marlin234
02-20-2012, 12:39 AM
If it this guy wasn't so hyped he would still have his job.

bulldog312
02-20-2012, 02:24 AM
May have already been said, but I think ESPN did a lot more damage by firing the guy and apologizing than if they had just let it go. I didn't know about it until someone got fired over it. In fact, I wasn't even aware that "chink" was a derogatory term. I had to go google it to find out what the hell was even wrong with it. I guess that is what happens when I grow up in a white boy hick town.

Qwertys
02-20-2012, 05:44 AM
Has Lin said anything about this?

Supa
02-20-2012, 10:32 AM
You don't need proof to see that this was some writer who thought "Man, this would be so clever and funny to call him a chink, but cover it up in a phrase so that there won't be any repercussions! Haha I'm a genius!".

Agree, a little of self-restrain and he would still have his job.

At the very least, it's poor decision making. Better think twice before you announce a derogatory term on one of the the most popular websites in the world.

---