PDA

View Full Version : Why Do Coaches like Flip, Skiles, O'Brien etc. Keep Getting Hired?

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-19-2012, 03:24 AM
I always wondered why coaches like Flip Saunders, Scott Skiles, Jim O'Brien and other coaches in that same group keep getting hired after they lead their teams to crappy records and always have trouble with star players on the team. I just don't get it.

Scott Skiles was mediocre at best in PHX, solid in Chicago and not so good in Milwaukee. Flip Saunders never really maximized the teams in Minnesota with KG, totally fell of the face of the earth with the Pistons after they just had 2 finals appearances with Larry Brown, and he's been putrid with the Wizards. Jim O'Brien wasn't anything special with Boston, Philly and Indy.

So I ask, why do these coaches keep getting hired when they don't really do anything significant for their franchises? They're like recycled trash and has-beens.

This is why we need a new flux of youthful NBA head coaches and it's time to get rid of these old recycled geezers.

MackShock
02-19-2012, 03:53 AM
Skiles is a defensive minded coach who demands respect from his players..I can see why he keeps getting hired.

Saunders did great in Minny, although like you said didnt maximize. I still think he's worthy though.

O'Brien I can only guess because he's an old school type coach. Same with Doug Collins.

Lawrence Frank is horrible for the Pistons now, but the back to back finals appearances with the Nets is hard to be ignored.

hgtiger32
02-19-2012, 04:02 AM
Skiles because if you're a crappy team he can turn it around pretty quick and make you contend for a playoff spot. but i think thats as far as he goes

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-19-2012, 04:11 AM
Skiles is a defensive minded coach who demands respect from his players..I can see why he keeps getting hired.

Saunders did great in Minny, although like you said didnt maximize. I still think he's worthy though.

O'Brien I can only guess because he's an old school type coach. Same with Doug Collins.

Lawrence Frank is horrible for the Pistons now, but the back to back finals appearances with the Nets is hard to be ignored.

Thank you for pointing out Lawrence Frank, I wanted to add him on to. Would like to correct you that Lawrence Frank actually took over for Byron Scott, who led the Nets to back-to-back finals appearances in 02 and 03, not Frank. So you can say that Bryon Scott (New Jersey 2 straight finals) is to Larry Brown (Detroit 2 straight finals, 1 championship) as Lawrence Frank (New Jersey) is to Flip Saunders (Detroit)

kingsdelez24
02-19-2012, 04:26 AM
Paul westphal... the only reason he made it to the finals as a coach is because of barkely

waveycrockett
02-19-2012, 04:48 AM
These retreads usually get hired because they have connects, experience and know how to interview well. See Vinny Del Negro.

JasonJohnHorn
02-19-2012, 07:22 AM
Flip Saunders is a good coach. He got a lot out of the Minny team with Garnett, despite the fact there was no help for Garnett and despite the fact that they were in a deep east. If anything Flip hurt them by securing a playoff spot and not allowing the team to put pieces around Garnett via lottery picks.

In Detroit he did well as well. That team was on the decline and teams were passing them by, but he still got them to the conference final.

The Washington situation is not his fault. That team imploded after the gun incedent. We a team that is barely a playoff team loses their best player, and then sees the GM go into panic mode and trade away other good players (like Jamison) and picking up players that wont help (Lewis).

Flip is a good coach and he will get more work.

As for the other guys.... I would give Skiles a shot, but I'm not a fan of O'Brian.

metsbulls1025
02-19-2012, 09:26 AM
Look around the league though. How many coaches are taking a team without an All Star and actually getting results? You give any coach in the NBA a star and they can win some games and look better than they actually are.

I don't think it really matters who coaches the Bucks, Washington , or any team in that category. If you keep sending out below average talent your going to get below average results.

IndyRealist
02-19-2012, 10:43 AM
Because GM's know their names. A lot of Div 1 coaches won't touch the NBA because they can make almost as much money in college and there's tons more job security. Who else is considered qualified? An NBA coach will last 3-5 years in a position, but most assistants have to have 10+ years before he's even considered for one of those positions.

Like any job, the hardest thing is getting your foot in the door, It really depends on who you know

Wade>You
02-19-2012, 10:45 AM
bad coach = bad GM = bad owner = bad fans because they didn't speak up loud enough against the way their team is being ran.

Everyone's to blame.

crewfan13
02-19-2012, 11:05 AM
Skiles is a good coach in certain situations. I think he's like the Ned Yost of basketball. He can take a young, underachieving team and get them to play good, hard defense, but he knows absolutely nothing about offense. He can make a bad team better, but can't make a solid team great. I want him out of Milwaukee, but in certain situations, he can be useful.

new york blue
02-19-2012, 11:29 AM
I would be curious to see some numbers here. What were the records of these clubs before these coaches got there and how much did they improve or not in their first couple of seasons.

Phenomenonsense
02-19-2012, 12:19 PM
I think Frank is a great teaching coach, so he's good for the Pistons as they are now.

PacersForLife
02-19-2012, 02:59 PM
O'Brien was just awful. He always criticized players publicly and had so many different starting lineups. One game a guy could play 40 minutes the next game that same guy would get a DNP. I doubt he ever gets hired again.

beliges
02-19-2012, 03:39 PM
If the Lakers hired Mike Brown, hiring the guys you mentioned above looks like a dream move.