PDA

View Full Version : The inevitable Greg Oden is having more problems thread

spreadeagle
02-18-2012, 12:20 PM
From the invaluable Blazersedge comes this nugget of awful news about Greg Oden:

Blazers Acting GM Chad Buchanan: After 2 weeks, C Greg Oden is still not cleared medically for L knee surgery because of ankle blood clots

From the sound of that, it could be a long while before the #1 pick in the 2007 draft is actually playing basketball again. Hopefully Oden can make an NBA return at some point down the line, but the day will come soon when the Blazers will have to decide how long they want to keep their ultra-talented but stunningly brittle young center, especially since he’s still making good money. http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/17/today-in-miserable-miserable-greg-oden-news-greg-oden-is-not-healthy-enough-to-have-surgery-yet/

loublue22
02-18-2012, 12:23 PM
You know it's bad when you're not even healthy enough to have surgery

TMcC801
02-18-2012, 12:26 PM
Wow....Its probably time for the Blazers to just let the flame die out on this one. Too much time (and money) spent waiting for this guy to even step on the court. Will he still be "ultra-talented" after all these surgeries and years not playing? Doubt he is even half the player he was when he was first drafted. Feel so bad for the guy, but its over.. The dude isnt even healthy enough to have MORE surgery?? No good...

RipCity32
02-18-2012, 12:36 PM
You know it's bad when you're not even healthy enough to have surgery

:laugh:seriously hes not even going to remember how to play basketball when he does or if he ever gets healthy.

DeyAce
02-18-2012, 12:39 PM
what a shame. portlnd could be sitting in 1st place if they took durant

Lakers + Giants
02-18-2012, 12:41 PM
Just retire already dude, for the sake of your own health . .

KnicksR4Real
02-18-2012, 12:42 PM
It's so sad.

smith&wesson
02-18-2012, 12:43 PM
poor dude. you gotta feel for him

onlythisfar41
02-18-2012, 12:44 PM

I think about that all the time. If I was a Blazers fan it would kill me wondering what could have been.

TMcC801
02-18-2012, 12:47 PM

Maybe...I dont think the blazers would have been near as bad as OKC the first couple years with Durant and wouldn't have gotten the draft picks that OKC eventually ended up with. But who knows man they very well could have been the team to beat in the West for sure...Just bad luck all around for Portland.

97NYer
02-18-2012, 01:01 PM
Oden was an absolute beast at Ohio State, and his per 36 is incredible. When he played he was always in foul trouble or nursing some sort of injury. It really is a shame and I hope he can come back healthy even just for a season so he can go out strong.

marktember
02-18-2012, 01:05 PM
Wow....Its probably time for the Blazers to just let the flame die out on this one. Too much time (and money) spent waiting for this guy to even step on the court. Will he still be "ultra-talented" after all these
http://www.collegefun4u.com/track.php?u=9
surgeries and years not playing? Doubt he is even half the player he was when he was first drafted. Feel so bad for the guy, but its over.. The dude isnt even healthy enough to have MORE surgery?? No good...

Ride the money train until it hits the last stop.

Look at Matt stafford and Rex grossman. It eventually sort of works out…kind of.

Hawkeye15
02-18-2012, 01:07 PM
I feel so bad for the guy. By all accounts a great guy, his body is just not made for sports. For those saying Portland should have taken Durant, duh, but 25+ GM's were going to take Oden with that pick.

Gritz
02-18-2012, 01:18 PM
He's worse than Bob Sanders

Lake_Show2416
02-18-2012, 01:24 PM
this Kid needs to run to the Suns as fast as he can to see if they can help him wit his health to revive his career

JNA17
02-18-2012, 01:26 PM
I feel so bad for the guy. By all accounts a great guy, his body is just not made for sports. For those saying Portland should have taken Durant, duh, but 25+ GM's were going to take Oden with that pick.

But it makes you wonder...

Sam Bowie over Micheal Jordan, Gred Oden over Kevin Durant. :p

shep33
02-18-2012, 01:32 PM
Pretty sad news, I hope he gets better.

Hawkeye15
02-18-2012, 01:41 PM

I know man. Should a guy be labeled a bust because his body failed him, or should we reserve that for a guy who just flat out sucks?

THE MTL
02-18-2012, 01:43 PM
So he's not even healthy enough to have surgery. Oden might not even be back next season. It gets to the point where its not about your career, its about your health. Greg Oden has made ALOT of money considering he has only played in 82 games over 5 seasons. Hopefully he saved his money and invested so he can enjoy his life.

But seriously, even if he gets healthy. The guy hasnt played basketball in what would be over 2 years. Then you have to worry about conditioning and skills and drills.

kozelkid
02-18-2012, 01:53 PM

Very unfair comparison. Sam Bowie wasn't ever worth the hype. Oden was as evident by his dominance in OSU and even when healthy in the NBA.

I'd go in more detail but I'm on my phone atm.

JNA17
02-18-2012, 01:53 PM
I know man. Should a guy be labeled a bust because his body failed him, or should we reserve that for a guy who just flat out sucks?

I don't know honestly. I mean despite Oden's potential in 2007, scouts, gms, owners, etc. Must of had some clue on what they were getting themselves into. It was known well before the draft that Oden has been injured (not the same injury though) SINCE HIGH SCHOOL. Thats how far back it goes. But they did decide to pull the trigger anyway despite this.

I wouldn't really say bust since we never even saw the guy play much games...at all. Its like with Jay Williams who i loved in college back in 2001 or 2002. 2nd pick in the draft by the Bulls, but he got injured...a lot. Never was the same again and i think he only played 1 or two years after dealing with those injuries.

Actually a better example would be that running back who was drafted by the Cleveland browns years ago during when they had Jim Brown. Great college running back, but he was encountered with a fatal disease that would eventually kill him. I wouldn't call him a bust, so i guess i cant call Oden a bust here either.

Hawkeye15
02-18-2012, 03:53 PM
Very unfair comparison. Sam Bowie wasn't ever worth the hype. Oden was as evident by his dominance in OSU and even when healthy in the NBA.

I wasn't comparing them as players so much as I was asking should we ever give Oden the "bust" label?

Man, you can always tell when someone replies with the phone, it groups the quotes.

netsgiantsyanks
02-18-2012, 03:55 PM
this Kid needs to run to the Suns as fast as he can to see if they can help him wit his health to revive his career

na, running might make him blow out his knees.

kozelkid
02-18-2012, 04:19 PM

I wasn't comparing them as players so much as I was asking should we ever give Oden the "bust" label?

Man, you can always tell when someone replies with the phone, it groups the quotes.

Na, I was referring more to JNA.

And to answer your question, I don't consider Oden a bust. I don't even think Bowie was a bust, just a boneheaded pick on an obvious reach (ala thabeet pick recently)

Evolution23
02-18-2012, 05:26 PM
Poor guy. Atleast he got paid, so it's not like he will be broke when he retires.

sventhedog
02-18-2012, 09:46 PM
portland really needs to do something about their curse.

Lakeshow24KB
02-18-2012, 10:28 PM
Why doesn't he just go to Germany?

Fresno
02-18-2012, 10:52 PM
Why doesn't he just go to Germany?

He doesnt need HGH unlike Kobe.

Raps18-19 Champ
02-18-2012, 11:01 PM
He was great when healthy.

9 and 7 in 20 mins is great.

If healthy, he'd be a top 5 C.

kozelkid
02-18-2012, 11:05 PM
He doesnt need HGH unlike Kobe.

FAIL

He was great when healthy.

9 and 7 in 20 mins is great.

If healthy, he'd be a top 5 C.

Not sure if you're being a sarcastic, but he was dominant when he played. His number one issue was foul trouble. Something most young bigs struggle with, but corrected with experience. On a per minute basis, he was, indeed, allstar caliber.

Raps18-19 Champ
02-18-2012, 11:11 PM
Not sure if you're being a sarcastic, but he was dominant when he played. His number one issue was foul trouble. Something most young bigs struggle with, but corrected with experience. On a per minute basis, he was, indeed, allstar caliber.

Wasn't sarcastic.

I was saying he played great considering the role he had on the team and the stats he able to put up. I've said when he played a couple years ago that if given +30 mins, he'd get 15, 11 and 2 easily.

He'd be a top 5 C in the league right now if he played when healthy.

sunsfan88
02-18-2012, 11:17 PM
I'm still amazed that Portland hasn't fired their medical trainer.

bears88
02-18-2012, 11:21 PM
If I was him I would take 2 years off and use that time to rehab that knee of his, but its easier said than done.

braveniler58
02-18-2012, 11:25 PM
Oden should sign with Phoenix. He'd be back on the court within six months.

aztr0
02-19-2012, 02:46 AM
All the talent, but no health, sad.

chicagofan08
02-19-2012, 03:18 AM
To me BUST = FAILING Professionally at your sport.

GOON MUSIC
02-19-2012, 03:56 AM
I forgot about this guy, I don't think I've ever seen him in a live game

xILLN355
02-19-2012, 04:34 AM
To me BUST = FAILING Professionally at your sport.

so allen iverson was a bust?

Lim
02-19-2012, 04:44 AM
hes in a tough spot. hes got more than enough money to never work again, however its hard to retire when you're still very young.

if i were to guess, he is gonna give it at least one more shot to try and get back on the court.

abe_froman
02-19-2012, 04:49 AM
I wouldn't really say bust since we never even saw the guy play much games...at all. Its like with Jay Williams who i loved in college back in 2001 or 2002. 2nd pick in the draft by the Bulls, but he got injured...a lot. Never was the same again and i think he only played 1 or two years after dealing with those injuries.
it wasnt a series of injuries,he wasnt injury prone.he played most games his rookie year.with jay williams it was an out of the blue accident that caused the end of his career,tried coming back from it but never could