PDA

View Full Version : Right now... Top 5 defenders?

Longhornfan1234
02-18-2012, 11:18 AM
1. Howard
2. Marion
3. Iggy
4. King James
5. Tony Allen

Thoughts?

lvlheaded
02-18-2012, 11:22 AM
Tyson Chandler?

Longhornfan1234
02-18-2012, 11:23 AM
Tyson Chandler?

I'm not sure if you're serious. :facepalm:

Federal Reserve
02-18-2012, 11:24 AM
1. Shumpert
2. Chandler
3. Allen
4. Iggy
5. Howard

xxplayerxx23
02-18-2012, 11:24 AM

Not saying he is top 5 but he completly changes defense, and locks up centers, He has held howard to 8 and 7 and bynum to 3 points

xxplayerxx23
02-18-2012, 11:25 AM
1. Shumpert
2. Chandler
3. Allen
4. Iggy
5. Howard

your dumb comment is going to cause people to flip, Knick fans wonder why we dont get any respect here,

nycericanguy
02-18-2012, 11:28 AM
Not saying he is top 5 but he completly changes defense, and locks up centers, He has held howard to 8 and 7 and bynum to 3 points

You can def make a case for him as top 5, and honestly you probably could make a case for Shump too. His defense has been elite this year.

Longhornfan1234
02-18-2012, 11:31 AM
Where can I find defense rating and win shares of this year?

ChitownSports16
02-18-2012, 11:31 AM
If its not the Knicks players then we're not talking about the Best D...

xxplayerxx23
02-18-2012, 11:32 AM
You can def make a case for him as top 5, and honestly you probably could make a case for Shump too. His defense has been elite this year.

No chane shump. Chandler maybe. But iman is a very good on the ball defender, but is a bad off the ball defender. He gets beat when your run screens and when every they attack without the ball, he is a good defender but no where near top 5

YoungOne
02-18-2012, 11:33 AM
i dont think howard is no. 1, he just always win dpoy because of his spectacular and dumb swats into the seventh row...

nycericanguy
02-18-2012, 11:33 AM
No chane shump. Chandler maybe. But iman is a very good on the ball defender, but is a bad off the ball defender. He gets beat when your run screens and when every they attack without the ball, he is a good defender but no where near top 5

You might be right, in all honesty I haven't paid too much attention to his off the ball defense.

Chandler has been a game changer on D though, def top 5 consideration worthy.

Longhornfan1234
02-18-2012, 11:34 AM
1. Shumpert
2. Chandler
3. Allen
4. Iggy
5. Howard

Chandler over Howard? :facepalm:

Shumpert over Iggy and Allen? :facepalm:

No King James? :facepalm:

KINGBAIZE
02-18-2012, 11:35 AM
L. James
L. Deng
T. Chandler
D. Howard
J. Noah

Gram
02-18-2012, 11:37 AM
Shumpert and Lin.

jayjay16
02-18-2012, 11:37 AM
1 Lebron James

2 Tony Allen

3 Dwight Howard

4 Andre Iguadola

5 Iman Shumpert

xxplayerxx23
02-18-2012, 11:38 AM
L. James
L. Deng
T. Chandler
D. Howard
J. Noah

not a bad list, not sure about deng over iggy, Maybe but iggy over noah and that would be my list.

Corey
02-18-2012, 11:41 AM
No Avery Bradley mentions? Boo.

Longhornfan1234
02-18-2012, 11:41 AM
Where can I find defense rating and win shares of this year?

That's a good question...

time4change
02-18-2012, 11:43 AM
I don't know where he'd be but Luc Richard Mbah A Moute definitely should be in the top 5 easily.

Easily one of the more versatile defenders in the NBA. Not to many guys can come out defending Pau Gasol, shut him down, then lock Kobe in the 4th.

Longhornfan1234
02-18-2012, 11:53 AM
Iggy and James are truly humorous selections over Marion.

Federal Reserve
02-18-2012, 11:59 AM

It must be hard to guard the second-string point guard on the opposing team.

justinnum1
02-18-2012, 12:09 PM
wade and bron need to be on the list, wades on ball D this year has been great.

xxplayerxx23
02-18-2012, 12:15 PM

no doubt bron, But Im not sure about wade'
This is my list
In no order
Lebron
Iggy
Howard
Chandler
deng

jp611
02-18-2012, 12:16 PM
Luol Deng has got to be in there

LanceUpperCut
02-18-2012, 12:19 PM
would be nice if people could actually leave there homerish ways behind and a pick real list.

LBJ ,A.I., D12, Tony Allen, Loul Deng, Rondo, Bogut when healthy, Ibaka are some

Longhornfan1234
02-18-2012, 12:21 PM

:facepalm:

Wade is one of the worst on the ball defenders in the league... He's nice on help defense.

blom85
02-18-2012, 12:29 PM
Not one Chicago Bull?

justinnum1
02-18-2012, 12:29 PM

Wade is one of the worst on the ball defenders in the league... He's nice on help defense.

:facepalm::facepalm:

Get your eyes checked. He can lock down anyone under 6'7"

NEILarado
02-18-2012, 12:31 PM

I was gonna say this same exact thing lol.

Deng has to be on here. He is extremely versatile, guarding 4 positions at an elite level.

NEILarado
02-18-2012, 12:32 PM

YOU need a drug test.

jp611
02-18-2012, 12:35 PM
Noah could be considered too, mainly because what centers can guard perimeter players like him... The guy is amazing and I know he couldnt do it all game but when he's been put on Lebron and Paul Pierce and others in those situations he can go step for step with them... That's amazing

Longhornfan1234
02-18-2012, 12:40 PM

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

YEDN90
02-18-2012, 12:45 PM
Carlos Boozer!

:p

But seriously, Deng and Noah are amazing defensive players.

Lakers + Giants
02-18-2012, 12:46 PM
1. Dwight
2. Igoudala
3. Marion
4. Lebron
5. Deng

Hawkeye15
02-18-2012, 01:34 PM
i dont think howard is no. 1, he just always win dpoy because of his spectacular and dumb swats into the seventh row...

It may be because Orlando's paint protection numbers over the past 5 years is awesome, or that Orlando is nearly 5 points per 100 possessions stronger defensively with Dwight on the floor over the past 5 years. It could be his ridiculous block and defensive rebounding rates. It could be that Dwight's opponent has a PER of around 11 the last 4 years. It could be that teams shoot more shots outside the paint versus the Magic than they do normally on a routine basis.

Dwight is hands down the games best interior defender for the last 4 seasons. As for ranking him against the perimeter guys, that is tough because its a different scenario. Iggy and LeBron are the best perimeter defenders in the last few years, and then you get to the recent dominant defenders. But to say Dwight gets recognition for his defense because he blocks shots into the stands is ridiculous.

THE MTL
02-18-2012, 01:38 PM
Dwight Howard
Tony Allen
Lebron James
Tyson Chandler
Andre Igudola

Hawkeye15
02-18-2012, 01:39 PM
1. D12
2. LeBron
3. Iggy
4. Coach Thib's

Rndy
02-18-2012, 01:46 PM
Coach Thibs might be number 1. His help defense really makes everyone look better. I'd take Deng's defense over any other SF. He's just really long and stays in front of everyone. He can guard 1-4 and Iggy might be be faster and has better stealing ability but Deng makes every shot tough. You really can't go wrong with any of those SF though they all bring something.

ManningToTyree
02-18-2012, 01:47 PM
Dwight
Iggy
Chandler
LeBron
Deng or Noah

tcav701
02-18-2012, 01:48 PM
Melo
Amare
Lin
Shumpert
Tebow

Longhornfan1234
02-18-2012, 01:49 PM
It may be because Orlando's paint protection numbers over the past 5 years is awesome, or that Orlando is nearly 5 points per 100 possessions stronger defensively with Dwight on the floor over the past 5 years. It could be his ridiculous block and defensive rebounding rates. It could be that Dwight's opponent has a PER of around 11 the last 4 years. It could be that teams shoot more shots outside the paint versus the Magic than they do normally on a routine basis.

Dwight is hands down the games best interior defender for the last 4 seasons. As for ranking him against the perimeter guys, that is tough because its a different scenario. Iggy and LeBron are the best perimeter defenders in the last few years, and then you get to the recent dominant defenders. But to say Dwight gets recognition for his defense because he blocks shots into the stands is ridiculous.

LOL... how is Iggy and LeBron better defensively than Marion? I'll wait...

One of the reasons Marion should be ranked so highly this year is that he has been so versatile in who he can guard. He's done well against Kobe, Westbrook, locked down Lebron, shut down Chris Paul, and defended Durant very well.

Slimsim
02-18-2012, 01:52 PM
Melo
Amare
Lin
Shumpert
Tebow

Trying to earn cool points

ThePooH_1_
02-18-2012, 01:56 PM
Chandler over Howard? :facepalm:

Shumpert over Iggy and Allen? :facepalm:

No King James? :facepalm:

King?? you meen Queen? :rolleyes:

Howard
Marion
James
Deng
Iggy

arifgokcen
02-18-2012, 01:59 PM
Coach Thibs might be number 1. His help defense really makes everyone look better. I'd take Deng's defense over any other SF. He's just really long and stays in front of everyone. He can guard 1-4 and Iggy might be be faster and has better stealing ability but Deng makes every shot tough. You really can't go wrong with any of those SF though they all bring something.

Sorry but deng doesnt defend 4 spots.I have never seen him defend pg.I know because i watch a lot of bulls games.Lebron can guard 1-4 and some 5s because of his size.Deng doesnt have the size to match up with the bigger guys.Lebron does.
In terms of impact,not best(let me tell you what i am talking about).I think Chandler is better defender than howard and the same thing goes with james-iggy.I personally think iggy is better defender than james,however james impact is more significant.
1-Howard
2-Chandler
3-James
4-Iggy
5-Deng

Rndy
02-18-2012, 02:02 PM
Sorry but deng doesnt defend 4 spots.I have never seen him defend pg.I know because i watch a lot of bulls games.Lebron can guard 1-4 and some 5s because of his size.Deng doesnt have the size to match up with the bigger guys.Lebron does.
In terms of impact,not best(let me tell you what i am talking about).I think Chandler is better defender than howard and the same thing goes with james-iggy.I personally think iggy is better defender than james,however james impact is more significant.
1-Howard
2-Chandler
3-James
4-Iggy
5-Deng

What? Deng plays the 4 a lot during games. You obviously don't know wtf you're talking about. Deng is on a pg at parts of every single game. You know the Bulls defense scheme and all? So how about you don't talk about a team you know nothing about.

PhillyOwnsAll
02-18-2012, 02:02 PM
Lebron
Dwight
Kobe
Wade
Iggy

all the premiere athletes with good size and crazy athletic ability are your top defenders.

Tmath
02-18-2012, 02:03 PM
No Shumpert? Knicks fans are not going to be happy.

Hawkeye15
02-18-2012, 02:05 PM
LOL... how is Iggy and LeBron better defensively than Marion? I'll wait...

One of the reasons Marion should be ranked so highly this year is that he has been so versatile in who he can guard. He's done well against Kobe, Westbrook, locked down Lebron, shut down Chris Paul, and defended Durant very well.

30 games, versus how many have Iggy and Bron been doing the same thing he is doing for 3 years?

Go look up what Iggy and Bron do to big names. Same **** dude. Marion is a great defender, 2nd tier with Tony Allen, Ronnie Brewer, etc. But he isn't as disruptive as Bron or Iggy, while completely shutting down opponents.

Kashmir13579
02-18-2012, 02:08 PM
Jeffries.

arifgokcen
02-18-2012, 02:10 PM
What? Deng plays the 4 a lot during games. You obviously don't know wtf you're talking about. Deng is on a pg at parts of every single game. You know the Bulls defense scheme and all? So how about you don't talk about a team you know nothing about.
Mate i can assure you i know what i am talking about.He plays the 4 against smaller 4s not against the big ones.Just read what i said.Bigger 4s.Let me put remind you thibs put gibson on lebron because his size(even though deng was the better defender)Of course he defends pg every now and then because they switch a lot.However you cant show me one game that he defends any pg for significant portion of the game.However lebron does that a lot.Generally in 4th quarters he defends pgs(if they are the best player).Recall the last years ECF.He was always on rose during 4th quarters.Deng doesnt do that couldnt do that.Because he doesnt have the athletic abilities that lebron or even iggy have.Iggy defends pgs too.However deng doesnt.Please stfu i know bulls much more than you.I know you are gonna try to come up with some crap.Please just go away unless you can show me any evidence to your theory(i know you will not because there is not).So go away please

Hawkeye15
02-18-2012, 02:14 PM
PER given to opponents:

Marion- 13.4
LeBron- 9.0
Iggy- 7.3

Iggy blows them both away in synergy ratings.

The Heat give up 6.1 points per 100 possession less with Bron on the floor
The Mavs give up 6.8 points per 100 possessions MORE with Marion on the floor
The Sixers give up 8.3 points per 100 possessions less with Iggy on the floor

Rndy
02-18-2012, 02:15 PM
You're just talking stupid now guy. You're saying Deng only defends PG in a spurt and thats not ok. But it's ok for Lebron to defend a pg in a spurt? . Gibson guards Lebron when Deng is either out or on the bench. But yeah you know... You'll fit in with the rest of the idiots and homers in NBA forum though welcome!

Luol Deng guarded KG during spurts of the Boston game. But he sucks and can't defend the 4! Even though he's done it vs Amare, Bosh, Duncan, and KG to name a few. Deng doesn't need to guard a pg in the end of games because we have an athletic freak at PG already. It's not the same as Miami situation and to act like it is only makes you look even less intelligent then you already look.

NoahH
02-18-2012, 02:17 PM
Lebron
Tony Allen
Igoudala
Loul Deng
D12

KnicksorBust
02-18-2012, 02:18 PM
Seems like all the regular suspects have already been named. Honorable mention for Josh Smith and Marc Gasol.

*Silver&Black*
02-18-2012, 02:20 PM
Tony Allen
Iggy
Josh Smith
Deng
LeBron

Hawkeye15
02-18-2012, 02:21 PM
Seems like all the regular suspects have already been named. Honorable mention for Josh Smith and Marc Gasol.

great suggestions.

I will touch on the Shumpert thing real quick. I have watched him play around 5-6 times this year, and he has the potential to be near the top of this list in a couple of years. Great mechanics, anticipation, footwork, and athletic ability. He has a ways to go, but his defensive potential is very high.

Deng is an outstanding defender. Has been for years. But there are a couple wing guys simply better.

jp611
02-18-2012, 02:23 PM

great suggestions.

I will touch on the Shumpert thing real quick. I have watched him play around 5-6 times this year, and he has the potential to be near the top of this list in a couple of years. Great mechanics, anticipation, footwork, and athletic ability. He has a ways to go, but his defensive potential is very high.

Deng is an outstanding defender. Has been for years. But there are a couple wing guys simply better.

Absolutely, iggy and Lebron are definitely ahead of him, you almost have to have a bull on the list though and the best choices are deng and noah, I'm still intrigued by how Noah can guard anybody, the guy is a special player

KnicksorBust
02-18-2012, 02:24 PM
great suggestions.

I haven't gotten to see much T-Wolves this year. I'm curious how you would rate Kevin Love and Rubio?

arifgokcen
02-18-2012, 02:25 PM
You're just talking stupid now guy. You're saying Deng only defends PG in a spurt and thats not ok. But it's ok for Lebron to defend a pg in a spurt? Thats a pretty small sample size. You'll fit in with the rest of the idiots and homers in NBA forum though welcome! Gibson guards Lebron when Deng is either out or on the bench. But yeah you know...

I knew you were not gonna be able to come up with any evidence.For lebron just watch for example timberwolves game against rubio,he completely shut him down or against any other elite pg.He constantly defends them in 4th quarter.
His own coach says he puts lebron whoever is the best player during 4th quarters.So he is lying huh :D:D:D:D

Again lebron constantly defends elite pg in 4th quarters.He generally shuts them down no matter who the opposition is.So get your facts straight.

About gibson,actually i remember this from last years ecf.Lebron scored on deng couple of times,so they tried gibson and brewer(especially during crunch time deng was on wade not bron.Again watch just the ECF.(please dont talk to me about small sample size as you did with rose vs lebron.4-5 games in head to head matchups is not a small sample size.)

This is my last post for you.I am putting you on the ignored list.

latinofire21
02-18-2012, 02:28 PM
Absolutely, iggy and Lebron are definitely ahead of him, you almost have to have a bull on the list though and the best choices are deng and noah, I'm still intrigued by how Noah can guard anybody, the guy is a special player

Tyson Chandler is a better defender then Noah. Noah is a product of thibs.

Rndy
02-18-2012, 02:28 PM
Lebron has to guard PG in the 4th because Miami doesn't have a pg it's no where near the same situation.

Gibson will defend Lebron in spurts not really sure your point here? Luol is still on Lebron and Brewer on Wade when we need a stop. I'm not really sure what you're arguing about. Deng can guard 1-4 that was my only point. And you can't argue it because he's done it. Just because he doesn't guard the PG or PF at the end of games doesn't mean he's not good enough. It just means we have a PG and a PF to guard already.

Lebron couldn't guard a guy like Rose the entire game. He just couldn't he would be gassed out and he's probably the most gifted player ever.

Rndy
02-18-2012, 02:33 PM

Chandler is the better post defender. Noah is a very good perimeter defender. He's not great post but he's gotten better.

jp611
02-18-2012, 02:35 PM

Noah has been a good defender since his college days, I didnt know Thibs was his coach at Florida and his coach his first 3 seasons

I agree Tyson is a better post defender, but you will never see Chandler guarding Lebron James or Paul Pierce in crunch time

Hawkeye15
02-18-2012, 02:35 PM
I haven't gotten to see much T-Wolves this year. I'm curious how you would rate Kevin Love and Rubio?

as defenders? Love is underrated, meaning he gets the label of being a garbage defender, which isn't the case. He has active hands, and forces guys out of their comfort zone, but he doesn't even try and block shots, instead boxing out right away and grabbing the board. His help defense is average.

Rubio on the other hand, is a pretty good defender. He turns guards all the time, denies them out to halfcourt, and causes a great amount of deflections. The last two items there waste a ton of valuable time on a 24 second shot clock. He drops into the lane on back screens, taking away the lob pass or easy pass to a slashing big, something most PG's never figure out. He gets a ton of steals in the passing lanes by duping players into thinking he has left the area, and unlike many who live in the passing lane and get steals, his recovery ability is amazing. He still needs to get a lot stronger, he can easily be bullied out of the way on drives by bowling ball PG's (Lowry for instance), but as he gets stronger, and more respect from the refs, he will be a top 5-6 defensive PG.

Mr.ATLHawks
02-18-2012, 02:41 PM
Lebron has to guard PG in the 4th because Miami doesn't have a pg it's no where near the same situation.

Gibson will defend Lebron in spurts not really sure your point here? Luol is still on Lebron and Brewer on Wade when we need a stop. I'm not really sure what you're arguing about. Deng can guard 1-4 that was my only point. And you can't argue it because he's done it. Just because he doesn't guard the PG or PF at the end of games doesn't mean he's not good enough. It just means we have a PG and a PF to guard already.

Lebron couldn't guard a guy like Rose the entire game. He just couldn't he would be gassed out and he's probably the most gifted player ever.

I think Lebron could but it probably wouldnt be a good idea given Rose ability to draw fouls. Thats a big reason superstars dont guard superstars. What good are they when they are sitting on the the bench at the 7 min mark in the 1st Quarter and cant return until late 2nd... Alot of this is strategy. You put Bron on him at the end when he has 3-4 fouls to spare so he can be more aggressive. Anyway, I dont think I can rank them so I am going to spit out some names

D12
Lebron
Tony Allen (how he is called a 2nd tier defender is beyond me, was Bruce Bowen a 2nd tier defender?)
Rondo
Iggy

I Love Josh Smith, but he isnt a great face to face defender. Maybe one of the best off-ball defenders..

The PER against Dwight Howard arguement might be a little less credible when the majority of the C's in the league blow ***** these days. I'd like to see his PER against Shaq, Gasol, etc. segregated out from the Al Horfords, Andres Barganani's and such.

justinnum1
02-18-2012, 02:44 PM
I knew you were not gonna be able to come up with any evidence.For lebron just watch for example timberwolves game against rubio,he completely shut him down or against any other elite pg.He constantly defends them in 4th quarter.
His own coach says he puts lebron whoever is the best player during 4th quarters.So he is lying huh :D:D:D:D

Again lebron constantly defends elite pg in 4th quarters.He generally shuts them down no matter who the opposition is.So get your facts straight.

About gibson,actually i remember this from last years ecf.Lebron scored on deng couple of times,so they tried gibson and brewer(especially during crunch time deng was on wade not bron.Again watch just the ECF.(please dont talk to me about small sample size as you did with rose vs lebron.4-5 games in head to head matchups is not a small sample size.)

This is my last post for you.I am putting you on the ignored list.

You won the argument imo. bron is the better defender than deng and has a bigger impact defensively on a game.

Also, bron can **** down who ever he needs to whenever he needs to, and he is all over the floor sometimes shutting down multiple people on the same possession. Deng is a decent defender but not close to bron or iggy for that matter

Hawkeye15
02-18-2012, 02:48 PM
Bron can guard a PG when necessary, but please don't act like he could stick a top level PG every night without keeling over eventually.

jp611
02-18-2012, 02:49 PM
Did Rndy even say Deng was better than Lebron? Because I don't think he did... I think he was just making his case that Deng CAN guard 4 positions, which he can, but in short sports

justinnum1
02-18-2012, 02:50 PM
bron doesn't need to guard PG all night long.

he can just shut them down in the 4th.

jp611
02-18-2012, 02:52 PM
Hawkeye, those synergy stats you showed earlier showing Bron, Marion, and Iggy... Would you be able to show me Luol's? Just curious as to where he is

Rndy
02-18-2012, 02:53 PM
Did Rndy even say Deng was better than Lebron? Because I don't think he did... I think he was just making his case that Deng CAN guard 4 positions, which he can, but in short sports

Sure didn't. You think Justin would know who won that argument. Considering he loses enough to relate to the guy.

jp611
02-18-2012, 02:54 PM
bron doesn't need to guard PG all night long.

he can just shut them down in the 4th.

I'd love to see Lebron guard a fresh Derrick Rose the entire 4th quarter in the playoffs

Rndy
02-18-2012, 02:56 PM
I'd love to see Lebron guard a fresh Derrick Rose the entire 4th quarter in the playoffs

You did in CLE where Lebron had no shot. He's a great defender though. Justin doesn't understand Basketball and probably never will.

justinnum1
02-18-2012, 02:58 PM
You did in CLE where Lebron had no shot. He's a great defender though. Justin doesn't understand Basketball and probably never will.

What i understand is rose has failed with bron guarding him in the 4th. Thats a fact, not my opinion.
Will it happen again, who knows, but bron has no problems locking down elite PG's, another fact.

meloman1592
02-18-2012, 03:02 PM
1. Shumpert
2. Chandler
3. Allen
4. Iggy
5. Howard

It's people like you that give us knick fans a bad name

justinnum1
02-18-2012, 03:04 PM

He doesn't need to. Rose is an elite player and will get his, but lebron will make him work for it, and take low % shots. He has showed proven success agasint rose. And im not sure rose will ever be fresh in the 4th considering how much he does.

gotoHcarolina52
02-18-2012, 03:04 PM
After going 0-for-5 from the floor with a turnover when guarded by LeBron James in Game 4, Derrick Rose struggled against him once again Thursday, going 1-for-10 with two turnovers in Game 5. Rose shot 6.3 percent from the floor in the series when defended by James, lowest among any player that defended him on five or more plays.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=310526004&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

Locked the **** DOWN.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
02-18-2012, 03:10 PM

Didn't JVG say the other day he may possibly be the best on ball defender in the league?

justinnum1
02-18-2012, 03:10 PM
Didn't JVG say the other day he may possibly be the best on ball defender in the league?

I think he said on ball pg defnder, not sure he said on ball overall, i could be wrong tho.

Rndy
02-18-2012, 03:11 PM
What i understand is rose has failed with bron guarding him in the 4th. Thats a fact, not my opinion.
Will it happen again, who knows, but bron has no problems locking down elite PG's, another fact.

Sure but he has succeeded in the past as well. It just happens that you will remember what happen most recently and that is the playoffs.

jp611
I wouldnt expect you to understand reading comprehension but I said a FRESH Derrick Rose... Rose was clearly fatigued last year and took it upon himself that he failed (which he did), this year he won't be as fatigued because he's missing games for his ailing back, if he can come back healthy, which I am sure he will, he will be fresh for the playoffs and I'd love to see Lebron guarding him

Lakeshow24KB
L. James
L. Deng
T. Chandler
D. Howard
J. Noah

smh

Rndy
02-18-2012, 03:12 PM

I'm like 99% sure he said the best Backup PG defender in the league.

justinnum1
02-18-2012, 03:13 PM
Sure but he has succeeded in the past as well. It just happens that you will remember what happen most recently and that is the playoffs.

I never really watched lebron in cle, so i dont know about what he did before he came to miami. But, when the game is on the line, not many better options to defend rose than bron.

xnick5757
02-18-2012, 03:25 PM
this year is terms of DWS its:

howard (2.92)
smith (2.32)
iggy (2.29)
m. gasol (2.05)
boozer (2.00)

LGhost
02-18-2012, 03:25 PM
oh geez here we are back at Daddy BronBron shutting down Baby Rose... The thread created for that is probably only a couple pages back, go grab it

Pakman
02-18-2012, 03:27 PM
LOL at all the shumpert love. Silly Knicks fans making us lakers fans look a lil better every day.

justinnum1
02-18-2012, 03:32 PM

howard (2.92)
smith (2.32)
iggy (2.29)
m. gasol (2.05)
boozer (2.00)
Any stats that shows boozer being top 5 in defense is fishy imo. that is to reflective on the team. A better stat is what someone posted, opponents PER...booz is #5 on the list above, but i would like to know what he is on the opponent PER.

Rndy
02-18-2012, 03:33 PM
I never really watched lebron in cle, so i dont know about what he did before he came to miami. But, when the game is on the line, not many better options to defend rose than bron.

He did it against Miami in games to. It's funny how you only seem to remember your players doing well. It's one of the reasons you're a terrible poster. You're so blinded by being a homer you'll never be able to have an intelligent conversation on basketball. I will agree with that last bit though. Lebron having size and quickness will always make it tough.

justinnum1
02-18-2012, 03:39 PM
He did it against Miami in games to. It's funny how you only seem to remember your players doing well. It's one of the reasons you're a terrible poster. You're so blinded by being a homer you'll never be able to have an intelligent conversation on basketball. I will agree with that last bit though. Lebron having size and quickness will always make it tough.

PLease dont get upset by the facts.

Hawkeye15
02-18-2012, 03:40 PM

howard (2.92)
smith (2.32)
iggy (2.29)
m. gasol (2.05)
boozer (2.00)

these are slightly flawed, though they do list the great defenders. But if you are part of a good defensive team, it will have an effect on your numbers, and likewise, a great defender on a crappy team will not get the DWS's he would with a stronger defensive support system.

But looking at that list, the only guy that doesn't belong is Boozer.

Hawkeye15
02-18-2012, 03:42 PM
Any stats that shows boozer being top 5 in defense is fishy imo. that is to reflective on the team. A better stat is what someone posted, opponents PER...booz is #5 on the list above, but i would like to know what he is on the opponent PER.

Boozer gives a PER of 18.1 up. Especially bad when the Bulls go small and he plays the 5 for a minute or two.

justinnum1
02-18-2012, 03:43 PM
Boozer gives a PER of 18.1 up. Especially bad when the Bulls go small and he plays the 5 for a minute or two.

Interesting, what about for Bosh?

justjames
02-18-2012, 03:43 PM
Lin does a pretty good job at causing turnovers.

shizzle09
02-18-2012, 03:46 PM
LBJ, Wade, Kobe, Howard in no specific order. when these players play all out on d they cannot be matched.

Hawkeye15
02-18-2012, 03:46 PM
Interesting, what about for Bosh?

15.0. The Heat give up 1 point per 100 possessions less with Bosh on the floor. The Bulls are actually 8.3 points per 100 possessions better with Boozer sitting. Even last year, they were 6.5 pp100p better with him sitting. Boozer is not a good defender. He tries, but he doesn't understand how to be a good defender. Luckily Thib's system masters hiding players defensive inefficiencies, and it helps that they have 3 very good defenders who started in Brown, Deng, and Noah, with a great defensive bench.

justinnum1
02-18-2012, 03:48 PM
^thanks for the info

Hawkeye15
02-18-2012, 03:48 PM
LBJ, Wade, Kobe, Howard in no specific order. when these players play all out on d they cannot be matched.

Kobe isn't the defender he once was, but when he does get up for it, he is still a very good defender.

natelpete
02-18-2012, 03:59 PM
Lin does a pretty good job at causing turnovers.

i think you mean "turning it over"

KnicksR4Real
02-18-2012, 04:02 PM
^clearly you did not get the joke

Chronz
02-18-2012, 04:12 PM
I'm still intrigued by how Noah can guard anybody, the guy is a special player
Ive always found Noah overrated personally. Hes great on switches and can really move his feet but hes no lock down type defender, opposing bigs are very effective when hes playing, and the team didn't miss a beat defensively without him, part of that has to do with how great his backups are but that takes me to my next point, I've been more impressed with that backup, Asik is underrated, he can move his feet too but he can bang in the post as well.

Noah is a notch below Varejao

Deng is far more valuable

Chronz
02-18-2012, 04:18 PM

Yes

For the longest time Lindsey Hunter was the best on the ball, this guy reminds me of a suped up version of him. But lets not get carried away in thinking this means awhole lot.

jp611
02-18-2012, 04:20 PM
I'm still intrigued by how Noah can guard anybody, the guy is a special player
Ive always found Noah overrated personally. Hes great on switches and can really move his feet but hes no lock down type defender, opposing bigs are very effective when hes playing, and the team didn't miss a beat defensively without him, part of that has to do with how great his backups are but that takes me to my next point, I've been more impressed with that backup, Asik is underrated, he can move his feet too but he can bang in the post as well.

Noah is a notch below Varejao

Deng is far more valuable

I agree with you that deng is our most valuable defender, you hit it right on the pin though with how bigs can get theirs against him, he's definitely not the best post defender but I just love his help defense and perimeter defense for a big

Young2Kinsler
02-18-2012, 04:25 PM
Any list without Marion on it is null and void. You haven't seen enough basketball this season if you don't put him in the top 5.

Chronz
02-18-2012, 04:34 PM
Any list without Marion on it is null and void. You haven't seen enough basketball this season if you don't put him in the top 5.
Is this the season this statement is finally true, because I've been here before.

LGhost
02-18-2012, 04:35 PM
I agree with you that deng is our most valuable defender, you hit it right on the pin though with how bigs can get theirs against him, he's definitely not the best post defender but I just love his help defense and perimeter defense for a big

Noah's help defense alone is one of the biggest reason why we win... Gotta love when players are happy to get around Rose just to run dead into Noah

Sevilla91
02-18-2012, 04:35 PM
Marion

ziglur
02-18-2012, 04:41 PM
James cant defend Bynum or Howard. Bynum hit him in the chest and he avoided him for 2 years. Sort of like Granger coming up with a sprained ankle when him and James met recently. And a he sits out 2 games and then come back and plays like nothing happened . It was a miraculous recovery.

bostonrules37
02-18-2012, 04:41 PM
avery bradley, hes a shut down defender just doesnt get tons of notice because he comes off the bench!

Shadowplay
02-18-2012, 04:54 PM
1.Howard
2.Lebron
3.Chandler
4.Iggy
5.Allen

Serge Ibakas becoming a nice defender.

sunsfan88
02-18-2012, 04:57 PM
Grant Hill better be on there.

CudiOnMyiPod
02-18-2012, 05:25 PM
No one recognized Chandler the entire year with Dallas until after they won the Finals. He was the DPOY last year and no one gave him respect. Now after games with NY he is the top defender...

CudiOnMyiPod
02-18-2012, 05:26 PM
Marion held Jrue Holiday to 0-11 last night.

Raph12
02-18-2012, 05:30 PM
1. Dwight Howard
2. Andre Iguodala
3. Lebron James
4. Luol Deng
5. Tony Allen

CHANGO
02-18-2012, 05:51 PM
A player who can defend the first four positions and some centers, deserves to be on the list.

You know who he is :)

LGhost
02-18-2012, 06:29 PM
Top SG defender for = Ronnie Brewer

Although he doesn't commit and loves the passing lanes but that's a plus for me

da ThRONe
02-18-2012, 06:31 PM
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Trevor Ariza. He at least belongs in the discussion.

Kashmir13579
02-18-2012, 06:34 PM
Is there any defensive stats that bode well for Jared Jeffries? Dude is a shut-down defender this year ask any Knick fan.

Hawkeye15
02-18-2012, 06:35 PM
Grant Hill better be on there.

last year he had a case at top 5-7. Not this year however.

Hawkeye15
02-18-2012, 06:37 PM
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Trevor Ariza. He at least belongs in the discussion.

absolutely not dude. He was a valuable defender on the Lakers, but has not been since he left.

Hawkeye15
02-18-2012, 06:41 PM
Is there any defensive stats that bode well for Jared Jeffries? Dude is a shut-down defender this year ask any Knick fan.

none that I can find. He doesn't statistically rate as a good defender.

sunsfan88
02-18-2012, 07:02 PM
last year he had a case at top 5-7. Not this year however.

Oh is this thread for the top 5 defenders for this season only?

My bad I thought it was for like the past few seasons and this season combined.

xxplayerxx23
02-18-2012, 07:39 PM
Lebron cant guard a pg the whole 4th quater, No chance he can spend 12 mins on the likes of derrick rose chris paul and deron williams, even rondo for that matter,Bron is def top 5 but he can guard sg sf certain pf and the occiasional bum center, HE is a great defender

mjokc
02-18-2012, 07:50 PM
1. Shumpert
2. Chandler
3. Allen
4. Iggy
5. Howard

LTBaByyy
02-18-2012, 07:52 PM
The thread is this season and only 5 people said Marion?

Marion has guarded the best player on the other team no matter if its the PG or PF during the game

He is atleast the 4th best defender this year! The people he guards does nothing this year

Hawkeye15

meh, I figured it was for right now only. Dude, where did that come from last year? Hill has always been an outstanding defender, but he was downright awesome last year. God I hate Sarver as an owner. Wasting away 2 of my favorite players careers as they wind down. :mad:

Giraffes Rule
1. Iggy
2a. LBJ
2b. Howard
4. Chandler

Fifth is hard for me, and I'm also unsure about Chandler. I think the top three are elite, while anything past that is a notch below.

Also just so I can be a homer too, Kawhi Leonard is going to be getting consideration on this list by 2014.

Hawkeye15
02-18-2012, 07:53 PM
The thread is this season and only 5 people said Marion?

Marion has guarded the beat player on the other team no matter if its the PG or PF during the game

He is atleast the 4th best defender this year! The people he guards does nothing this year

I don't think anyone would deny the fact that for the Mavs, Marion is their designated stopper. But it doesn't make him better than a handful of other guys who play the same role for their team more effectively.

Hawkeye15
02-18-2012, 07:54 PM
It's like me saying that Wes Johnson is the guy we always put on the other teams best player. It still doesn't make him a top defender.

Longhornfan1234
02-18-2012, 07:54 PM

This year.

Hawkeye15
02-18-2012, 07:55 PM
1. Iggy
2a. LBJ
2b. Howard
4. Chandler

Fifth is hard for me, and I'm also unsure about Chandler. I think the top three are elite, while anything past that is a notch below.

Also just so I can be a homer too, Kawhi Leonard is going to be getting consideration on this list by 2014.

by that year, it will all have changed. Leonard, Shumpert, Bradley, Rubio (homer alert) could all enter it by then. And if Iodine's mancrush ever matures, watch out.

Hawkeye15
02-18-2012, 07:56 PM

Wade is an overrated defender. He's a terrible on the ball and off the ball defender...but he is the best help defender at the guard position.

He is overrated when talking about guys who do it nightly. Wade takes games off, no doubt. But come time to play big games and in the playoffs, Wade is an ELITE defender.

sunsfan88
02-18-2012, 07:58 PM
meh, I figured it was for right now only. Dude, where did that come from last year? Hill has always been an outstanding defender, but he was downright awesome last year. God I hate Sarver as an owner. Wasting away 2 of my favorite players careers as they wind down. :mad:
Haha yea even us Suns fans would like to see Hill & Nash playing elsewhere for a title.

And man its all about our medical staff man! Hell they even made Shaq look good! And now look at what they've done for Michael Redd!

Aaron Nelson for MVP!!!

Baller1
02-18-2012, 08:01 PM
1. D12
2. LeBron
3. Iggy
4. Coach Thib's

I like this answer.

Adding on to it with these players in no order:

Chandler
Marion
Allen
Sefalosha
Artest
Wade

Giraffes Rule
02-18-2012, 08:08 PM
by that year, it will all have changed. Leonard, Shumpert, Bradley, Rubio (homer alert) could all enter it by then. And if Iodine's mancrush ever matures, watch out.

I see your homer alert and raise you a Cory Joseph.

Hawkeye15
02-18-2012, 08:10 PM
I see your homer alert and raise you a Cory Joseph.

I raise you whomever the Wolves pick with Utah's pick in the draft.

Hawkeye15
02-18-2012, 08:11 PM
I like this answer.

Adding on to it with these players in no order:

Chandler
Marion
Allen
Sefalosha
Artest
Wade

Ibaka almost made my list, but he is still just a bit undisciplined at times. He will be a great defender soon.

UPRock
02-18-2012, 08:11 PM
1: Melo
2: Stoudamire
3: Calderon
4: Kevin Martin
5: Nash

LGhost
02-18-2012, 08:14 PM
Omer Asik... Try doing some post work on him and you will be disappointed

Hawkeye15
02-18-2012, 08:16 PM
Haha yea even us Suns fans would like to see Hill & Nash playing elsewhere for a title.

And man its all about our medical staff man! Hell they even made Shaq look good! And now look at what they've done for Michael Redd!

Aaron Nelson for MVP!!!

you need to sign Greg Oden.

Hawkeye15
02-18-2012, 08:17 PM
Omer Asik... Try doing some post work on him and you will be disappointed

yeah dude, you have to get him on the move. If you try and roll with a power game on him, you will not be happy. I would love to see Pekovic against him.

Hawkeye15
02-18-2012, 08:17 PM
1: Melo
2: Stoudamire
3: Calderon
4: Kevin Martin
5: Nash

haha, yes! Opposite world!

Giraffes Rule
02-18-2012, 08:20 PM
I raise you whomever the Wolves pick with Utah's pick in the draft.

Well now you're just being crazy.

Hawkeye15
02-18-2012, 08:25 PM
Well now you're just being crazy.

obviously. Unfortunately, the Wolves don't have any other guys I could possibly use, so I went with the TBN guy.

dc5jdm
02-18-2012, 08:40 PM
LeBron is a good defender cuz he also has 3 guys in stripes not calling his fouls.
If LeBron was to ever win dpoy he should first thank the reffs.

BklynKnicks3
02-18-2012, 08:42 PM
shumpert is 2nd best on the ball sg right now to tony allen

MTL_123
02-18-2012, 08:45 PM
LeBron is a good defender cuz he also has 3 guys in stripes not calling his fouls.

and kobe should thank the judge for not trowing his *** in jail for 5+ years for raping a girl.:D

justinnum1
02-18-2012, 09:11 PM

Superstars get away with ****, being a fan of the lakers i would expect you to know that...

xxplayerxx23
02-18-2012, 09:15 PM
what would be your guys top five defenders per position?

RLundi
02-18-2012, 09:15 PM
I wonder who's gonna win the facepalm battle, Justinnum1 or Longhornfan?

In both cases, it's just sickening, please stop.

xxplayerxx23
02-18-2012, 09:19 PM
i got my money on justin He lives and dies with the facepalm

RLundi
02-18-2012, 09:19 PM
what would be your guys top five defenders per position?

For this season, in some order:

Dwight
Asik
Chandler
Gasol
Camby

xxplayerxx23
02-18-2012, 09:21 PM
For this season, in some order:

Dwight
Asik
Chandler
Gasol
Camby

i agree with this, What about Sgs and PFs, those are the ones im stuck on

justinnum1
02-18-2012, 09:22 PM
i got my money on justin He lives and dies with the facepalm

lol, this made me laugh a little

RLundi
02-18-2012, 09:30 PM
i agree with this, What about Sgs and PFs, those are the ones im stuck on

PF

Josh Smith
Brand
Garnett
Ibaka
Duncan?

SF

Deng
LBJ
Iggy
Gerald Wallace
Tony Allen

xxplayerxx23
02-18-2012, 09:32 PM
PF

Josh Smith
Brand
Garnett
Ibaka
Duncan?

SF

Deng
LBJ
Iggy
Gerald Wallace
Tony Allen

Brand good on defense?didnt know that, Idk Deng and iggy are the same type of defender I think i give a slight edge to iggy

RLundi
02-18-2012, 09:36 PM
Brand good on defense?didnt know that, Idk Deng and iggy are the same type of defender I think i give a slight edge to iggy

Yeah, as would I. Iggy's a better defender. I didn't put them in order or anything.

But Brand has always been a very solid defender. Especially this year, with Philly's defense being the best in the league, everyone wants to credit Iguodala with that, but Brand has been stellar as well.

xxplayerxx23
02-18-2012, 09:39 PM
Yeah, as would I. Iggy's a better defender. I didn't put them in order or anything.

But Brand has always been a very solid defender. Especially this year, with Philly's defense being the best in the league, everyone wants to credit Iguodala with that, but Brand has been stellar as well.

Oh Lol Ok, Really I never new that, I remeber Brand was known for his offense, But a top defender thats a bit of a surprise for me.

Bulls_fan90
02-18-2012, 10:03 PM
lol, this made me laugh a little

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

xxplayerxx23
02-18-2012, 10:04 PM

Uhuh justin got a challange by a bulls fan its ganna get ugly :p

Bulls_fan90
02-18-2012, 10:06 PM
Uhuh justin got a challange by a bulls fan its ganna get ugly :p

:catfight:

Hawkeye15
02-18-2012, 10:08 PM
Pekovic ate a small child just now.

justinnum1
02-18-2012, 10:09 PM

:eyebrow: Im not sure 3 got your point across, how about one more for good measure.

mdm692
02-18-2012, 10:32 PM
grant hill?? the only player that smokes hill is kobe lol

Edit:
In addition he held carmelo to 22% shooting and 12 points when they played this season
Kevin durant 36% 12pts
Gerald wallace(2 meetings this season) 18pts total 35% avg
Monta ellis total of 36 points in 2 meetings and 30% avg
joe johnson 2 meetings total of 23 pts 34% avg
Tyreke evans 1 meeting so far 11% 4 pts

gotoHcarolina52
02-18-2012, 10:43 PM
Shane Battier

Also, Justin, here's one for your arsenal --> http://i39.tinypic.com/oqc2mx.jpg

justinnum1
02-18-2012, 10:50 PM
^oh thats good:clap: will bookmark that:D

Chronz
02-19-2012, 12:09 AM

absolutely not dude. He was a valuable defender on the Lakers, but has not been since he left.
WTF?

And you say you watch the Rockets regularly?

Baller1
02-19-2012, 12:14 AM
Ibaka almost made my list, but he is still just a bit undisciplined at times. He will be a great defender soon.

Yeah I agree. I think he has a very, very legitimate shot a DPOY in the future, but for now he needs to learn discipline and better man defense in the post.

ManRam
02-19-2012, 12:14 AM

haha. classic!

this right here is why i went to hater, to lover. how can i be on the same side as this stuff?

howard, bradley, allen, iguodala, garnett.

just off the top of the head. i might go look at this a bit more analytically and tweak this.

kozelkid
02-19-2012, 12:16 AM
haha. classic!

this right here is why i went to hater, to lover. how can i be on the same side as this stuff?

howard, bradley, allen, iguodala, garnett.

just off the top of the head. i might go look at this a bit more analytically and tweak this.

Because there will be others who will tell you that Lebron is better than MJ. :p

But again, I see no reason to judge players or teams based on their fans. :shrug:

ManRam
02-19-2012, 12:26 AM
Because there will be others who will tell you that Lebron is better than MJ. :p

But again, I see no reason to judge players or teams based on their fans. :shrug:

i don't decide how good he is based on fans...i decide who to root for...sometimes.

i was a lebron hater back in the day. until the hate became absolutely senseless.

the_jon
02-19-2012, 12:26 AM
1) Andrea Bargnani
2) Andrea Bargnani
3) Andrea Bargnani
4) Andrea Bargnani
5) Andrea Bargnani

dc5jdm
02-19-2012, 12:28 AM
I'm just speaking the truth, he gets an exaggerated amout of ref love. Kobe use to get some love from the refs but not anymore, only on techs they do give him a break.
Moving on the top defenders are Tony Allen, safalosha, howard, iggy and I wanna go with Perkins but il give Noah the benefit of the doubt.
Honorable mention is Avery Bradley but he plays too close, that at Times he gets burned by quickly.

dc5jdm
02-19-2012, 12:30 AM
Btw I'm no LeBron hater but I call em like I see em.
That whole no heat player fouling out explains it all.

ManRam
02-19-2012, 12:35 AM
star players get "star calls" calls not merely because they're stars, but because they A) have the ball in their hands the most B) know how to attack the rim (that's how you draw fouls...jump shooters can't do it) C) know how to create contact and D) are so good that defenses can't stop them unless they foul.

refs don't say "hey, look, it's lebron, let's call a foul against his defender because he's lebron". that's a silly notion to believe.

no player in the nba, besides maybe rose, is as good at getting to the rim, breaking down defenses, and drawing contact. THAT's why he "gets calls".

the refs couldn't care less. your whole argument is a complete cop out.

naps
02-19-2012, 12:42 AM
LeBron
Dwight
Iggy
Deng
Wade

Ezio
02-19-2012, 12:42 AM
Rose.

D1JM
02-19-2012, 12:44 AM

it wasnt elite versus rose. rose did whatever he wanted on a bad back and ****ed up toe :shrug:

ManRam
02-19-2012, 12:53 AM
lebron is a top 5 defender imo. he can shut down a pg, a sg, a sf, a pf and the occasional center. who else can do that? no one? right!

i just didn't want to sound like my dick was too far up his butthole tonight, so i left him out

kozelkid
02-19-2012, 12:58 AM
lebron is a top 5 defender imo. he can shut down a pg, a sg, a sf, a pf and the occasional center. who else can do that? no one? right!

i just didn't want to sound like my dick was too far up his butthole tonight, so i left him out

Noah actually can.

Nevermind, he can't guard centers. :facepalm:

D1JM
02-19-2012, 01:02 AM

couldnt resist huh? :hide:

ManRam
02-19-2012, 01:03 AM
Noah actually can.

Nevermind, he can't guard centers. :facepalm:

haha.

noah barely has a + roland rating. not sure how much i value that, but it is what it is. he does hold opposing centers to a 17.7 PER...that ain't too bad.

lebron's opponent PER

http://i40.tinypic.com/oqwwls.png

sex.

i'm always skeptical of sites like 82games and hoopdata...and i don't trust this 100%, but i do believe he's that good.

i also know for a fact that he's guarded a few PGs for a few minutes this year...

HouRealCoach
02-19-2012, 01:05 AM
Tony Allen is the best defender in the nba

D1JM
02-19-2012, 01:06 AM
noah gets ****ed too when he leaves his man to help out boozer. bugs the **** out of me, but we knew what we were getting with boozer

Kyben36
02-19-2012, 01:14 AM
luol could probably be put int there but im not sure where, I really hate defensive top 5s and whatnots due to the fact that defense isnt all about stats.

alot of players get steals, but also comit dumb fouls going for them,

alot of players block shots, but also leave there man for easy buckets doing so

alot of player can defend in general, but dont get the stats so they arnt considered good defenders.

alot of players get highlight reel plays from steals and people think they are good. honestly, it would take lots of tape to try and allow me to figure out who the best defenders are in the league.

Chronz
02-19-2012, 02:10 AM
luol could probably be put int there but im not sure where, I really hate defensive top 5s and whatnots due to the fact that defense isnt all about stats.

alot of players get steals, but also comit dumb fouls going for them,

alot of players block shots, but also leave there man for easy buckets doing so

alot of player can defend in general, but dont get the stats so they arnt considered good defenders.

alot of players get highlight reel plays from steals and people think they are good. honestly, it would take lots of tape to try and allow me to figure out who the best defenders are in the league.
Theres alot of truth in your post but it does sound like your examples of "defensive stats" are really outdated.

Tally stats like stls/blks have been replaced with Def. RTG. Advanced stats give us more trends to observe beyond the box score. In all we have quite abit to work with. But yes I don't think its an answer we can all difinitively agree on.

PatsSoxKnicks
02-19-2012, 02:26 AM
i'm always skeptical of sites like 82games and hoopdata...and i don't trust this 100%, but i do believe he's that good.

Why are you skeptical of their sites? It's no less reliable than ESPN or basketball-reference. We aren't talking about random blogs here, Beech has found a job in the NBA and Hoopdata is used by ESPN.

wjmoffatt
02-19-2012, 03:06 AM
1.) Howard
2.) James
3.) Marc Gasol
4.) Westbrook
5.) Bosons PG frOm Texas Longhorns

Chronz
02-19-2012, 05:11 PM

Why are you skeptical of their sites? It's no less reliable than ESPN or basketball-reference. We aren't talking about random blogs here, Beech has found a job in the NBA and Hoopdata is used by ESPN.
They have never released their formulas for most of their rating systems (passer rating for example). And Im fairly sure their PER is still off by a few points.

It really doesn't matter tho, if your using the same stat for everyone

crewfan13
02-19-2012, 06:26 PM
I think Luc Richard Mbah a Moute deserves some love too. He isn't the sexy defender like others since he doesn't score much and plays for the Bucks, so people don't know about him. But this article says that he allowed fewer points per possession last year than Lebron, Kobe, AI and Tony Allen. He also forced more turnovers per isolation than those guys too, all of whom seem to be on a fair amount of people's top 5.

He's versatile enough to guard pretty much every position too.

http://www.mbahamoute12.com/news/assessing-lucs-value/2011/12/02

mzgrizz
02-19-2012, 06:33 PM
Tony Allen is the best defender in the nba

No argument from me; he locks down like radar.
Wasn't too bad with his"creeping" last night to get the winning tip v GSW,too

CHANGO
02-19-2012, 08:33 PM
Today LBJ defended a SG, some SF, some PF's and a C... Not any center, the best C in the league. :)

That's why he should be in that top 5. His versatility makes him unique.

da ThRONe
02-19-2012, 09:51 PM
Today LBJ defended a SG, some SF, some PF's and a C... Not any center, the best C in the league. :)

That's why he should be in that top 5. His versatility makes him unique.

Was there any doubt LeBron belonged on that list......?:eyebrow:

CHANGO
02-19-2012, 10:15 PM
Was there any doubt LeBron belonged on that list......?:eyebrow:

Well, no. :D

I just wanted to remind them. :p

dee279
02-19-2012, 10:25 PM
Howard
Lebron
Iggy
Tony allen
Wade

masTOR_shake1
02-19-2012, 10:25 PM
#1- david stern, blocking trades to the lakers like a beast. of course by now, i hope you realize that i'm speaking ironically and think the nba is slightly less of a joke becuase of that trade not happening.

justinnum1
02-19-2012, 10:39 PM
^lol

Korman12
02-19-2012, 11:03 PM
#1- david stern, blocking trades to the lakers like a beast. of course by now, i hope you realize that i'm speaking ironically and think the nba is slightly less of a joke becuase of that trade not happening.

Fantastic timing on that. Got any Avatar jokes?

k.smith904
02-19-2012, 11:10 PM
1. Dylon
2. Dylon
3. Dylon
4. Dylon
5. Dylon

Ill21
02-19-2012, 11:23 PM

Dude why do you put facepalms in all of your posts?

arifgokcen
02-20-2012, 11:36 AM
Well, no. :D

I just wanted to remind them. :p

Almost everybody even the well known lebron haters include him in their list.
So actually no need to remind but thanks anyway

tsev24
02-20-2012, 11:52 AM
1. Howard
2. Marion
3. Iggy
4. King James
5. Tony Allen

Thoughts?

ou must be dumb to not put Luol Deng up here

justinnum1
02-20-2012, 01:17 PM

Im not a fan of that poster either, but who would you knock off this list to put deng on it

howard
Iggy
allen
lebron
noah

deng is not a better defender than anyone on that list deng is a top 5 defender at his position tho

kozelkid
02-20-2012, 01:24 PM

Im not a fan of that poster either, but who would you knock off this list to put deng on it

howard
Iggy
allen
lebron
noah

deng is not a better defender than anyone on that list deng is a top 5 defender at his position tho

Deng is definitely better than Noah. No question about that. I love Noah's versatility against most other positions, but until he can defend big centers better (i.e. your Howard, Bynum, Cousins, etc.) I'm taking Deng without question. He's both versatile AND can guard just about any sf.

blue bleeder09
02-20-2012, 01:27 PM
Kobe ?

Pierzynski4Prez
02-20-2012, 01:46 PM
1. Dwight
2. Igoudala
3. Marion
4. Lebron
5. Deng

I like this list.