PDA

View Full Version : Jays Place 6th In ESPN “Future Power Rankings”

phillipmike
02-17-2012, 08:55 PM
http://jaysjournal.com/2012/02/16/jays-place-6th-in-espn-future-power-rankings/

This week, the “insiders” at ESPN put together a list “to measure how well each team is set up for sustained success over the next five years.” In case you missed the headline and the graphic directly above these words, the Blue Jays were ranked 6th overall.

Pretty exciting stuff for Jays fans and not all that surprising either. Unfortunately, the 6th place rank puts the Jays 4th in the AL East (behind the Yankee’s 2nd, Rays 3rd and Red Sox 5th).

The article is a nice reminder for Jays fans that the club is on the right path, despite their tight purse strings this winter. It’s for paying subscribers only, so if that does not include you, here is what Buster Olney and Jim Bowden wrote about the Jays:

The lowdown

In any other division, Toronto probably would have made the playoffs a couple of times over the past decade, and no team will benefit from the extra wild card as much as the Jays. Of course, they could be in position to win the AL East outright very soon.

Not only do they have arguably baseball’s best hitter (Jose Bautista), phenom (Brett Lawrie) and farm system, they have virtually no long-term commitments. They are probably one or two pitchers from winning this division and have the payroll flexibility and trade chips to make it happen. This sleeping giant is almost ready to wake up. – Buster Olney

The next step

Lawrie will be a fixture in Toronto’s lineup for years, but the Jays still will need a big bat to accompany him and Bautista. Toronto should pursue Canadian Joey Votto if he becomes available in a trade or as a free agent. – Jim Bowden

The categories are
Majors- quality of current mlb team
Minors- quality and quantity of prospects in the farm
Finance- how much money they have to spend
Management- Value and stability of ownership, front office and coaching staff
Mobility- Do they have a lot of young cheap players, or old immovable guys?

30. Orioles - 21.7
29. Astros - 21.8
28. White Sox - 23.3
27. Indians - 28.0
26. Mets - 32.6
25. Twins - 33.5
24. Pirates - 33.9
23. A's - 34.3
22. Marlins - 36.5
21. Brewers - 39.2
20. Padres - 41.0
19. Dodgers - 41.5
18. Mariners - 45.7
17. Giants - 46.5
16. Reds - 46.7
15. Rockies - 46.7
14. Nationals - 51.5
13. Cubs - 51.9
12. Tigers - 55.0
11. Royals - 55.1
10. Phillies - 57.6
9. Braves - 61.4
8. Diamondbacks - 65.1
7. Angels - 68.3
6. Blue Jays - 69.3
5. Red Sox - 71.4
4. Cardinals - 72.0
3. Rays - 74.1
2. Yankees - 83.4
1. Rangers - 91.1

nstojic
02-17-2012, 09:04 PM
:laugh2: the orioles can't catch a break...

Krylian
02-17-2012, 09:33 PM
The Orioles might lose 100 games this year.

dtmagnet
02-17-2012, 09:55 PM
So according to that list we won't make the playoffs in the next 5 years? Thats not encouraging at all...

Sanyo
02-17-2012, 09:56 PM
O's will have the Brother Bundy's/Machado combo in 2-3 years...if the O's can draft well this year and a few other prospects emerge...combined with the O's willing to spend in the right times they could turn it around....though right now with all the money they spent and the poor drafting, this team sunk (one bad example of how a team can sink with overspending and the team getting no where...)

phillipmike
02-17-2012, 10:11 PM
So according to that list we won't make the playoffs in the next 5 years? Thats not encouraging at all...

Its an on paper evaluation not a crystal ball that can predict the future.

Billyen
02-18-2012, 12:54 AM
No way the Yanks are #2

Based on these...
The categories are

Sanyo
02-18-2012, 12:58 AM
Yanks are tapped -- never could have imagined them going after prospect pitchers in a trade even last year -- though its a smart thing though, they have a good young pitcher locked for 5 more years...but they'll have to squeeze more with big contracts like CC, A Rod and Marky Mark hanging over them and with Cano and Granderson due to big raises in the next two years...

phillipmike
02-18-2012, 01:09 AM
No way the Yanks are #2

Based on these...
The categories are

Thing that sucks for us about the Yankees is that they will always have those prospects who turn into stars (Cano, Jeter, Rivera etc.) they will always have assets to trade for stars (A-Rod, Pineda, Swisher etc.) and they will always have the money to pay for stars (Tex, Sabathia, and any players they re-sign).

They have the majors team to be contenders. They will always have a minors team to be a threat. And will always have money so mobility is not an issue (see Burnett).

Billyen
02-18-2012, 06:38 AM
and Marky Mark hanging over them

That made me laugh.

Billyen
02-18-2012, 07:00 AM
Thing that sucks for us about the Yankees is that they will always have those prospects who turn into stars (Cano, Jeter, Rivera etc.) they will always have assets to trade for stars (A-Rod, Pineda, Swisher etc.) and they will always have the money to pay for stars (Tex, Sabathia, and any players they re-sign).

They have the majors team to be contenders. They will always have a minors team to be a threat. And will always have money so mobility is not an issue (see Burnett).

I know what your saying but, I disagree.

The yanks can't go over 200M without having tax problems which may or may not concern them.

CC, ARod and Tex will make about 74M for the next 5 years. 5 years! I think Arod is regressing already and Tex in the next year or 2. CC...with his frame ??? who knows. What if all 3 get injuried?

They have 3-4 younger players that will be asking and getting big raises.

One can absorb 1 bad AJ contract but 2? or 3? They do have limits or they would have signed Prince and paid him so much he would go to DH. OMG...what a line up then...but they couldn't do it.

I've really looked at their farm and beside 2-3 good prospects...who might not turn out...I think their farm sucks.

I think the Yanks are 2-3 bad things away from coming in 3rd or 4th.

Money just doesn't win games. Money may even hurt them down the road.

BTW...I hope everyone remember me posting over and over that the AJ signing will bite them in the ***. Right again.

I agree with Wamco...AJ putting in and JPA giving the OOC to him and then AJ opting out was the best thing for the Jays.

AA09-?
02-18-2012, 08:51 AM
The Orioles might lose 100 games this year.

I think it's very likely.

AA09-?
02-18-2012, 08:55 AM
No way the Yanks are #2

Based on these...
The categories are

Yeah, it's not surprising to me that they're ranked so high, but I don't think it's justified. They're so far in debt it's not funny. Their farm system is the most overrated in MLB and they have albatrosses for contracts.

Of course 15 years or so of pennants, championships and exciting baseball seems to distract people from the reality.

wamco
02-18-2012, 11:50 AM
The yanks can't go over 200M without having tax problems which may or may not concern them.

The same day they had to pay the luxery tax, they signed Tex to a monster deal.

nithanyo
02-18-2012, 12:42 PM
We're 6th in the majors but 4th in the east :facepalm:

JaysFan87
02-18-2012, 12:52 PM

The same day they had to pay the luxery tax, they signed Tex to a monster deal.

Considering there were many reports that they want to get below the luxury tax threshold by 2014 and went as far as tehy could to save money on AJ's contract in order to sign a DH (Ibanez) shows me they are serious of some restrain. They are going to spend but I there limit will be that luxury tax threshold as. I dont think they are going to be willing to pay 50 cents on each dollar they go over. 15M over the cap turns into a 22.5M expenditure.

BATSKY87
02-18-2012, 01:13 PM

I'm not so sure about the Yankees ability to develop prospects. If you look at the Yankees top 10, and for that matter the studs they have on the roster now, their ability to land high ceiling talent has been largely predicated on their ability to spend more money than other people on international free agency. With the limitations that are now being imposed on spending in that realm, its hard to imagine they will be able to continue that type of team building.

Thats not to say they won't start spending money to bulk up their scouting and player development, but their current model won't work with the new rules and certainly won't work if baseball goes to an international draft (which they should).

phillipmike
02-18-2012, 03:18 PM
I know what your saying but, I disagree.

CC, ARod and Tex will make about 74M for the next 5 years. 5 years! I think Arod is regressing already and Tex in the next year or 2. CC...with his frame ??? who knows. What if all 3 get injuried?

They have 3-4 younger players that will be asking and getting big raises.

One can absorb 1 bad AJ contract but 2? or 3? They do have limits or they would have signed Prince and paid him so much he would go to DH. OMG...what a line up then...but they couldn't do it.

I've really looked at their farm and beside 2-3 good prospects...who might not turn out...I think their farm sucks.

I think the Yanks are 2-3 bad things away from coming in 3rd or 4th.

Money just doesn't win games. Money may even hurt them down the road.

BTW...I hope everyone remember me posting over and over that the AJ signing will bite them in the ***. Right again.

I agree with Wamco...AJ putting in and JPA giving the OOC to him and then AJ opting out was the best thing for the Jays.

All that considered the Yankees WILL find a way. They are either first to learn the rules of the new game and if they are not you can bet they wont be the last.

The Yankees have always been able to find winners and put together a winner. Perhaps the Montero for Pineda deal is their start to a plan of how to get out of their "mess". The have some good player/prospects Cashman will turn them into good MLB players. And i wouldnt have it any other way, if you can compete in the AL East then you can compete anywhere. We have the right GM and with competition in the AL East he must be methodical with his decision making because one little mistake can put you back in 4th.

Anyone can make on paper evaluations. I want the season to start!

nithanyo
02-18-2012, 04:27 PM
I wish the luxury cap was at like $100 million

wamco
02-18-2012, 04:33 PM
Yeah, it's not surprising to me that they're ranked so high, but I don't think it's justified. They're so far in debt it's not funny. Their farm system is the most overrated in MLB and they have albatrosses for contracts.

Of course 15 years or so of pennants, championships and exciting baseball seems to distract people from the reality.

Would be right if I hadn't heard this speech for the past 15 years.

wamco
02-18-2012, 04:35 PM
Considering there were many reports that they want to get below the luxury tax threshold by 2014 and went as far as tehy could to save money on AJ's contract in order to sign a DH (Ibanez) shows me they are serious of some restrain. They are going to spend but I there limit will be that luxury tax threshold as. I dont think they are going to be willing to pay 50 cents on each dollar they go over. 15M over the cap turns into a 22.5M expenditure.

I'll believe it when I see it. Ibanez is better than AJ burnett and ibanez blows.

JaysFan87
02-18-2012, 05:30 PM
I'll believe it when I see it. Ibanez is better than AJ burnett and ibanez blows.

If they didnt care about the money they would have just kept him and signed Ibanez anyways.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/yankees_aim_to_trim_payroll_by_to_pO1UdLoQkMgED2c6 NKXCRM

talks about what teh yankees might do

Vampirate
02-18-2012, 06:20 PM
If the Jays could make the playoffs were probably be world series contenders considering our division.

town123
02-18-2012, 07:07 PM
If the Jays could make the playoffs were probably be world series contenders considering our division.

Detroit - Angels - ?

We can't compare with these guys as of now.

Vampirate
02-18-2012, 07:59 PM
Detroit - Angels - ?

We can't compare with these guys as of now.

Neither of these teams are better than Boston, New York and maybe even Tampa. If we made the playoffs we would have to be better than at least one and more likely 2 of the 3 in our division.

town123
02-19-2012, 11:48 AM
Tough division sure, but it's impossible to know where the Rangers, Tigers and Angels would place compared to the East teams if baseball had a balanced schedule and ONE big AL division.

AA09-?
02-19-2012, 11:47 PM
Would be right if I hadn't heard this speech for the past 15 years.

Everything comes to an end. The Yankees aren't impervious to losing.

masTOR_shake1
02-20-2012, 02:16 AM
remember the simple days when the rays were crap :) back in their "devil" days, seeing those putrid green unis always made me feel great when the jays played them, now life is hard.

Halladay
02-20-2012, 05:48 AM
I wish the luxury cap was at like $100 million

Why? Wouldn't make a difference and we know that in the near future our own team will be spending in that range. The most overlooked thing in this division is that Boston, a known spender, always has a solid farm system. Pedroia,Ellbury,Buchholz,Lester,Bard,Youkilis etc are all RedSox picks which is scary. Tampa is great at drafting as well. I know you didn't suggest it but lets say there was a hard cap, our division would still be incredibly competitive. Those free-spending teams would still find ways to spend in other ways to gain an advantage. Just the way it is.

wamco
02-20-2012, 08:42 AM
Really sucks how well run the yanks, sox and tb are.

rapsjaysfan88
02-20-2012, 01:38 PM
hopefully as we improve we can eventually spend more.

Billyen
02-22-2012, 12:22 AM
All that considered the Yankees WILL find a way. They are either first to learn the rules of the new game and if they are not you can bet they wont be the last.

The Yankees have always been able to find winners and put together a winner. Perhaps the Montero for Pineda deal is their start to a plan of how to get out of their "mess". The have some good player/prospects Cashman will turn them into good MLB players. And i wouldnt have it any other way, if you can compete in the AL East then you can compete anywhere. We have the right GM and with competition in the AL East he must be methodical with his decision making because one little mistake can put you back in 4th.

Anyone can make on paper evaluations. I want the season to start!

During the 80's and 90's the Yanks were just the Yanks and nothing special.

The biggest thing for the Yanks I believe was cable sports deals....YES etc.