PDA

View Full Version : Official 2012 Blue Jays Spring Training Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

wagnall
02-17-2012, 02:16 AM
I thought that since players are starting to make their way into camp that we should have a thread that we can EASE into dedicated to training camp. I would suggest that since we have threads covering about every other topic that this will work out better if we only use this thread as it relates to anything to do with this years camp.

I, like many of us have been looking forward to this years camp as I truly think we go in with better players than last year, and some of the interesting prospects that will be there to win a position or a call up in 2012, as well as who is going to take LF, plus a lot of other battles that will go on.

I hope we all have fun with this and try to keep the personal attacks out of it. :cheers:

BlueJaysFan
02-17-2012, 02:46 AM
Justin Jackson said he's going to make vlogs during spring training, that should be interesting

DeRozan10
02-17-2012, 04:09 AM
Justin Jackson said he's going to make vlogs during spring training, that should be interesting

Will Jackson be in AA this year??

Nels@Ryerson
02-17-2012, 07:58 AM
is bluejays.com going to be posting like an indepth look at every part of our roster... I remember reading it a few years back.

wagnall
02-17-2012, 03:32 PM
I wonder which of our youngens are at camp already getting an early start.

BlueJaysFan
02-17-2012, 03:42 PM
I wonder which of our youngens are at camp already getting an early start.

I was looking around the MLB.com blue jays forum and someone posted these pictures

http://www.rocketsports-ent.com/blue-jays-of-summer-back-in-dunedin/

PJ Awesome
02-17-2012, 03:57 PM
Will Jackson be in AA this year??

There's a good chance, if not, then I could see him moving up to AA at some point this season

Goalie31
02-17-2012, 04:20 PM
It's great to see that most of the bigger names are coming in early! They seem pretty pumped for the season... and the new stuff looks sooooo great!

BlueJaysFan
02-17-2012, 04:46 PM
Will there be any spring training games on TV?

wagnall
02-17-2012, 05:38 PM
I was looking around the MLB.com blue jays forum and someone posted these pictures

Nice pictures, nice to see the young guys and Bauts at it already.

Is it just me or does Sniders legs look like a linebackers, they are huge!

wagnall
02-17-2012, 05:41 PM

I thought last year they showed 4 or 5 games in the 2nd 1/2 of TC once the split games were done? :)

wagnall
02-17-2012, 06:30 PM
Apparantly there are 28 players already in camp. This is a good sign.

StealingSigns
02-17-2012, 07:22 PM
2012 Spring Training Schedule:
(bold indicates home games)

March 3 1:05 p.m.
vs Pittsburgh

March 4 1:05 p.m.
@ Pittsburgh

March 5 1:05 p.m.
@Detroit

March 6 1:05 p.m.
vs Philadelphia

March 7 1:05 p.m.
vs Boston (split sqaud)

March 7 1:05 p.m.
@ Pittsburgh (split sqaud)

March 8 1:05 p.m.
vs Yankees

March 9 1:05 p.m.
@ Houston

March 10 1:05 p.m.
vs Houston

March 11 1:05 p.m.
vs Atlanta (split sqaud)

March 11 1:05 p.m.
@ Atlanta (split sqaud)

March 12 1:05 p.m.
vs Baltimore

March 13 1:05 p.m.
vs Team Canada (split sqaud)

March 13 1:05 p.m.
@ Minnesota (split sqaud)

March 14 1:05 p.m.
vs N.Y. Yankees

March 15 1:05 p.m.
@ Houston

March 16 1:05 p.m.
vs Tampa Bay

March 17 1:05 p.m.
@ Philadelphia (split sqaud)

March 17 1:05 p.m.
vs Atlanta (split sqaud)

March 18 1:05 p.m.
vs Philadelphia

March 20 7:05 p.m.
@ Boston

March 21 1:05 p.m.
@ Baltimore

March 22 1:05 p.m.
vs Philadelphia

March 23 7:05 p.m.
@ Tampa Bay

March 24 1:05 p.m.
vs Atlanta

March 25 1:05 p.m.
vs Boston

March 27 7:05 p.m.
@ N.Y. Yankees

March 28 1:05 p.m.
vs Baltimore

March 29 1:35 p.m.
@ Boston

March 30 1:05 p.m.
vs Minnesota

March 31 1:05 p.m.
@ Philadelphia

April 1 1:05 p.m.
vs Pittsburgh

April 2 1:05 p.m.
@ Detroit

April 3 12:05 p.m.
vs Detroit

Tickets available here, if you will be in the area:
http://springtrainingonline.com/teams/toronto-blue-jays-4.htm

StealingSigns
02-17-2012, 07:23 PM
I thought last year they showed 4 or 5 games in the 2nd 1/2 of TC once the split games were done? :)

I know Sportsnet broadcasted a handful of games, can't remember how many, but I remember it not being enough ;)

BlueJaysFan
02-17-2012, 07:36 PM
I know Sportsnet broadcasted a handful of games, can't remember how many, but I remember it not being enough ;)

I remember one of them. Toronto/Pittsburgh because Travis d'Arnaud was catching while Chase d'Arnaud was hitting :D

JMac4PM
02-17-2012, 07:38 PM
I think all the game are on the radio arent they?

Billyen
02-17-2012, 10:48 PM
I hope we all have fun with this and try to keep the personal attacks out of it. :cheers:

I hate you for saying that!

:p

nstojic
02-17-2012, 10:54 PM
from McGuire...

“I definitely feel more comfortable,” he said. “Having played with some of the guys now and having met most of the older players last year, it makes it easier to settle in, less anxiety and a little bit more focus on what needs to be done.”

Nobody knows where McGuire’s second pro season will lead him but he’s certainly on a track that could put him in the big leagues in 2013

“I’m prepared to take everything as it comes,” he said. “Last year was a bit of a whirlwind at times but now I can take a step back every once in a while and keep it in perspective.

“My big thing is to try to get better each time out, make my adjustments on the fly and just try not to take any steps backward. The rest will take care of itself.”

-----

on McGowan

Now, after watching his teammates come and go the last three springs while he babied himself back to full health, he’s relishing the chance to win one of two open spots in the Toronto rotation this spring.

“It’s a lot different, but it feels good,” said McGowan Friday. “I can go full out now and not worry about anything. In the past I would come in here and knew I had to be cautious while I continued to deal with rehab and therapy. Now all I have to do is compete for a job.

“I just went through a regular off-season and that is a really great feeling.”

McGowan rehabbed in the minors through August last year, then made four September starts in the majors, racking up 21 innings and an unflattering 6.43 ERA.

“He threw the ball very well last year,” said manager John Farrell. “The numbers are going to say one thing — the ERA, all of that. But the way the ball came out of his hand, the ability to throw his sinker on the plate and get contact on the ground and the way I’m seeing the same thing in his bullpen sessions right now, makes me believe he has a chance to make a huge impact.”

Once the season ended last September, McGowan was able, for the first time in three years, to simply sit back and rest. When it was time, in December, he simply went back to work. Normal.

“It felt great,” said McGowan. “I don’t think I really knew what normal was any more.”

-----

toronto sun (toronto sun)

nstojic
02-17-2012, 10:55 PM
on Snider

Everybody should have known better, but nobody did. It was the spring of 2009 and Travis Snider was ripping the cover off the ball. With only two full seasons of minor league apprenticeship behind him, he had just turned 21.

“If he deserves to be here, then he should be here,” said then GM J.P. Ricciardi. The fact that nobody disagreed doesn’t make it right.

Seduced by Snider’s .380 batting average and 1.098 OPS that spring, the Jays took him north and thus began the cycle of success-failure-injury-confusion that has followed the Blue Jay prospect through three seasons, bringing him no closer to his goal: to be a consistent player in the big leagues.

Read on... (Read on...)

nstojic
02-17-2012, 11:10 PM
Lott's got some nifty pics on his twitter (twitter)

wowzman
02-18-2012, 01:38 AM
2012 Spring Training Schedule:
(bold indicates home games)

March 25 1:05 p.m.
vs Boston

Tickets available here, if you will be in the area:
http://springtrainingonline.com/teams/toronto-blue-jays-4.htm

I have tickets to this game.

I may try and post a few pics.

PJ Awesome
02-18-2012, 05:11 AM

They usually have about 2-3 spring games on tv and I ALWAYS try and catch them, I'm so f-ing excited for baseball around this time of year sometimes I'll call in sick from work just to watch an afternoon spring training game if it's on..

Also, they haven't officially announced any brodcasted games in spring on the Jays website, but they also haven't announced the TV sched for the regular season aswell, they usually do that a few days before the spring games start it seems.

wagnall
02-18-2012, 01:26 PM
I have tickets to this game.

I may try and post a few pics.

Thats great, and good timing, by that time your gour probably going to see all the starters as the team should be close to its final cut down. Have a blast. :cheers:

wagnall
02-18-2012, 01:28 PM
Has anyone seen Omar in camp yet. Based on McD, this sounds like a guy we want in the dressing room with all these youngens. I'm pulling for him to be on the bench.

wagnall
02-19-2012, 03:45 PM
Pretty dead so far :sleep:

DeRozan10
02-19-2012, 05:05 PM
Lott's got some nifty pics on his twitter (twitter)

Im really pulling for Snider

I am hopeing to see both Travis and Eric in the lineup, at both LF and DH.

Not a huge fan of Encarnacion

wagnall
02-19-2012, 06:09 PM
^ agree 100% I would love to see both on this team. Have no faith in EE to put more than 2 good months together.

Bombtista
02-19-2012, 06:14 PM

Nice! Those are exactly the players I would want to be getting a head start on ST. I just have a feeling Snider is going to have a big season.

Also, lol at Farrell's shorts.

Good to see Lind there too.

wagnall
02-19-2012, 06:40 PM
Snider has legs of a rugby player. Looks like he's been doing alot of heavy lifting, hope that helps him with his power.

LOL on Farrell shorts as well, looks like he didn't miss any meals this off season. haha

AA09-?
02-19-2012, 10:25 PM
Im really pulling for Snider

I am hopeing to see both Travis and Eric in the lineup, at both LF and DH.

Not a huge fan of Encarnacion

This would definitely be the ideal situation. If Snider ever lives up to half of what he could be, he'd be a very good hitter.

AvonBarksdale
02-19-2012, 10:54 PM
Really wanted to see Rasmus report early, at least to show people he means business

PJ Awesome
02-20-2012, 04:44 AM
Rasmus gives me te impression of a lazy douche bag who really does not want to be in Toronto. He's gonna do nothing but hold us back with his lazy moral

DeRozan10
02-20-2012, 04:49 AM
Rasmus gives me te impression of a lazy douche bag who really does not want to be in Toronto. He's gonna do nothing but hold us back with his lazy moral

Lol

Give me proof :facepalm:

PJ Awesome
02-20-2012, 05:01 AM
Seriously? you're blind or mentally handicapped if you can't see that Rasmus does not like being here. His body language, his play on the field, and his numbers even back this up. Go :facepalm: yourself

AA09-?
02-20-2012, 09:09 AM

Yeah...it's something I didn't want to come out and say directly, but I agree, he just seems off. I hope we're wrong, but his demeanour gives the impression he doesn't care.

AA09-?
02-20-2012, 09:12 AM
Seriously? you're blind or mentally handicapped if you can't see that Rasmus does not like being here. His body language,[B] his play on the field, and his numbers even back this up. Go :facepalm: yourself

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt with his play as other factors may or may have not contributed to his poor results (i.e. rumoured injury and adjustment to the AL), but he clearly showed little to no excitement on the field after coming over from St. Louis.

JMac4PM
02-20-2012, 10:06 AM
Rasmus looked like he didn't care in St. Louis too. I think overall he jst doesnt care about playing in the majors. Maybe now that he's made some money and has his pockets lined he doesn't really care if he plays or not anymore.

BlueJaysFan
02-20-2012, 11:51 AM
http://lockerz.com/s/185601252

Http://pic.twitter.com/67XWkMeY

Brett Cecil? Is that you?

North Yorker
02-20-2012, 12:12 PM
"In an impressive side session Friday, Drabek clustered about 30 knee-high pitches, pinpointing his fastballs and cutters and showing no sign of the lack of command that ruined his season in 2011. “His mind is quiet,” said an observer. “I wish we could bottle that.”

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/02/19/how-the-jays-pitching-stacks-up

2009mvp
02-20-2012, 01:25 PM
Body language experts! Awesome.

rapsjaysfan88
02-20-2012, 01:36 PM
toronto syndrome out in full force, 'no one wants to be here look at there body language'. give the kid a chance jeez.

The_Jet11
02-20-2012, 01:36 PM
I'll give Colby until the end of May before I begin to assess his "care" factor.

PJ Awesome
02-20-2012, 02:10 PM
His numbers were far from above or even average when he came here. The kid was a zombie in the dugout, and he has yet to show up for training camp

AvonBarksdale
02-20-2012, 02:26 PM
Can't really read too much into body language cause everybody's different. Seems he's laid back by nature, so I don't expect him jumping around getting hyped up like Lawrie. But you have to admit, after his disappointing season he should have been one of the first players to report in Dunedin.

But if everything I've read about him is accurate, this shouldn't come as a surprise.

Twitchy
02-20-2012, 02:26 PM
His numbers were far from above or even average when he came here. The kid was a zombie in the dugout, and he has yet to show up for training camp

Actually his numbers were above average when he came here. In fact, his OPS was 10% above league average in STL. And he did that while playing a premium defensive position in CF.

So let's put to rest any of this nonsense about Rasmus not giving a damn. He struggled after the trade, and he right when things were turning around he got injured. The year was a write off the moment he was traded.

If he struggles through a few months in 2012 it'll be a different story.

PJ Awesome
02-20-2012, 02:31 PM
Anybody wanna make a friendy wager that his average will be below .230 by the end of april?

Bombtista
02-20-2012, 02:33 PM
Seriously? you're blind or mentally handicapped if you can't see that Rasmus does not like being here. His body language, his play on the field, and his numbers even back this up. Go :facepalm: yourself

lol you're clearly in the minority here. Rasmus has always looked like that playing defense, if you never saw him play before you shouldn't assume that it's new.

He was here for less than half a season, I wouldn't have expected him to feel comfortable playing for an already out of contention team when he got here.

PJ Awesome
02-20-2012, 02:48 PM
I'm the minority that thinks he looks sluggish?

Bombtista
02-20-2012, 02:56 PM
I'm the minority that thinks he looks sluggish?

Yes, and for thinking we wont see significant improvements from him next season compared to his weak performance at the end last year.

PJ Awesome
02-20-2012, 05:45 PM
I highly doubt I'm the only one who thinks he looks extremely un-motivated

Dol-Fan
02-20-2012, 05:47 PM
He has always looked that way. Some guys appear to just coast. It's not as if being in Toronto has de-motivated him in some way, or that he's just 'going through the motions' because he hates it here. Word is that he worked extremely hard this offseason. Hopefully it shows up in his performance.

Twitchy
02-20-2012, 06:35 PM
Everyone used to say that about Carlos Beltran. Talented players just make things look easy.

PJ Awesome
02-20-2012, 06:48 PM
Well, here's to hoping :cheers:

phillipmike
02-20-2012, 06:56 PM
Everyone used to say that about Carlos Beltran. Talented players just make things look easy.

Everyone said and says that about Escobar when he left he Braves. After a full season he was our 2nd best hitter.

Rasmus will do just fine - too talented.

Let other teams mismanage their young players and we will trade them for non-core assets.

Morrow? Escobar? Lawrie?

DeRozan10
02-20-2012, 07:49 PM
This thread should be stickied!

DeRozan10
02-20-2012, 07:50 PM
I am so god damn pumped for this season.

I dont think anyone can argue that this current roster has the most talent that we have put on the field in yeaaars. As long as I have been a Jays fan this is easily the most exciting team I have seen.

Cant wait!!!!

PJ Awesome
02-20-2012, 08:07 PM
Ya this thread SHOULD be stickied until the start of April. I've actually never been more excited for a baseball season to start. Fresh new logo, fresh faces, and I'm especially excited to see Santos, a guy I watched play a terrible shortstop for Syracuse a few years back. Pumped to see what Lawrie can do in a full season and I'm expecting a more mature Ricky Romero aswell.

nstojic
02-20-2012, 08:42 PM
Jose 100% and eager, heading into the season...

He is the centre of the Blue Jays universe, so when Jose Bautista has an ache or a pain, the entire team goes into spasm.

It happened more often than you might think last season that Bautista soldiered on through afflictions that would have landed many players on the disabled list.

There were the ongoing neck problems that arose initially in May and then came back in August; a twisted ankle suffered in the first game after the all-star break that lingered through the rest of the season; various bruises and contusions after banging into outfield walls.

“Jose got beat up physically last year,” said manager John Farrell. “It really prevented him from maintaining his workout and lifting program throughout the entire season. He lost 12 pounds throughout the course of the season just because he wasn’t able to maintain that.

Read on... (Read on...)

StealingSigns
02-20-2012, 09:59 PM

Devon White is a perfect example.

StealingSigns
02-20-2012, 10:00 PM
Ya this thread SHOULD be stickied until the start of April. I've actually never been more excited for a baseball season to start. Fresh new logo, fresh faces, and I'm especially excited to see Santos, a guy I watched play a terrible shortstop for Syracuse a few years back. Pumped to see what Lawrie can do in a full season and I'm expecting a more mature Ricky Romero aswell.

It will be stickied, once ST starts in earnest.

nstojic
02-20-2012, 10:05 PM

I thought it was in dunedin? :D

ah nuts
02-20-2012, 10:11 PM
I'm in the - everyone is different - boat.

Even though I believe he has little interest in canada, I can't see him not getting caught up in the excitement of this young talented team. And Farrel and the jays will be a good spot for him to launch off his career.

StealingSigns
02-20-2012, 10:41 PM
I thought it was in dunedin? :D

Holy **** nstojic, everyone knows that they moved their operation to Earnest, Dade County. Strike two!! :cool:

Twitchy
02-20-2012, 11:16 PM
Everyone said and says that about Escobar when he left he Braves. After a full season he was our 2nd best hitter.

Rasmus will do just fine - too talented.

Let other teams mismanage their young players and we will trade them for non-core assets.

Morrow? Escobar? Lawrie?

That's exactly how I feel. How many people want to argue Escobar is lazy, or that he doesn't care about the team? Can't find one person, yet that's all we heard coming from Atlanta.

BlueJayFanDan
02-21-2012, 01:58 AM
I am so excited the season is getting closer!

Halladay
02-21-2012, 06:50 AM
That's exactly how I feel. How many people want to argue Escobar is lazy, or that he doesn't care about the team? Can't find one person, yet that's all we heard coming from Atlanta.

Some people have a hard time understanding that just because a player is frustrated in one city, doesn't mean it will happen here. We also heard the same thing about Lawrie and still hear about his "immaturity". They say this about Rasmus, they said it about Escobar etc etc. You have to accept the fact that we really don't know what happens behind closed doors. If AA didn't care about character he would have signed Manny Ramirez, and he's had a few chances to do so on the cheap.

the_jon
02-21-2012, 07:29 AM
Some people have a hard time understanding that just because a player is frustrated in one city, doesn't mean it will happen here. We also heard the same thing about Lawrie and still hear about his "immaturity". They say this about Rasmus, they said it about Escobar etc etc. You have to accept the fact that we really don't know what happens behind closed doors. If AA didn't care about character he would have signed Manny Ramirez, and he's had a few chances to do so on the cheap.
Most teams wouldn't sign Manny we just happen to be a place he really wants to go. Good that he didn't though.

craigerlee
02-21-2012, 01:04 PM
Two tidbits from Jays camp. Farrell says he'd like to see Johnson bat second, behind Escobar and in front of Bautista/Lind.
Shi Davidi Twitter

Love the fact their gonna give Johnson the 2-hole spot, not too thrilled about Lind batting 4th again.

Farrell said there are one or two jobs up for grabs in bullpen. Villanueva, Perez and Litsch appear to be top candidates.

Gregor Chisholm Twitter

I'd bet that Villaneuva and Perez get the spots as Perez has no options left. Would of liked Carreno to have had a shot as he was pretty lights out last year.

Farrell also says Jays will have 10 spring starters: Romero, Morrow, Cecil, Alvarez, McGowan, Drabek, Hutchison, McGuire, Jenkins, Laffey
Shi Davidi Twitter

Good thing we got Laffey, we definitely needed that 10th starter to really push everyone

JMac4PM
02-21-2012, 01:10 PM
"Lights out" Laffey... best number 10 starter in the MLB.

rapsjaysfan88
02-21-2012, 02:16 PM
I know the batting order is pretty much set in stone but id like to see this order, lefty, righty be damned.

rasmus- good speed/ steal ability, good obp
snider- batting ahead of jose gives him plenty of fastballs/ good overall speed
bautista
escobar-batted well in clean up role last year, v martinez type cleanup hitter
johnson
lawrie- lots of rbi opps, less pressure being lower
lind- struggles in rbi opps
ee- same as lind
jp

Dol-Fan
02-21-2012, 02:40 PM
Shi Davidi Twitter

Love the fact their gonna give Johnson the 2-hole spot, not too thrilled about Lind batting 4th again.

Good call on Johnson...get that high OBP and power into the 2-hole. Here's hoping that Lind has a short leash this year. Drop him down when he inevitably flops.

Gregor Chisholm Twitter

I'd bet that Villaneuva and Perez get the spots as Perez has no options left. Would of liked Carreno to have had a shot as he was pretty lights out last year.

I'm sure Carreno will be up sooner rather than later. Perez sucks, and I wouldn't bet against one of the other relievers ******** the bed. I wouldn't mind seeing both Carreno and Evan Crawford in the pen at some point this year.

Shi Davidi Twitter

Good thing we got Laffey, we definitely needed that 10th starter to really push everyone

I'm gonna have a blast watching Hutch/Deck/Jenkins/Drabek this spring...and Laffey of course.

wagnall
02-21-2012, 02:47 PM

What does "stickied" mean. :confused: Been here a while never heard this. :o:o:o

nstojic
02-21-2012, 02:52 PM
That sping training tingle is picking up!! I'm not THIS (THIS) excited but i'm getting there :hi5:

bartron_44
02-21-2012, 04:04 PM
KJ could hit 25 HR's with an OBP over .350. If you want Rasmus to steal bases you don't put him in front of Jose, and they are the only 2 left handed hitters we have with historically good OBP's.

I wonder what Farrell's plans for Lawrie are..the 5 hole behind Lind?

I would rather see something like this tried in ST if Lind is the good Lind again...:

Escobar
Johnson
Lawrie
Bautista
Lind
EE
Rasmus
Thames/Snider
JPA

With EE hitting behind Jose against lefties.

I know Lawrie is young, but he showed patience and the ability to hit for a high average to go with his power. Bautista is used to hitting without protection, so I would rather force people to give Lawrie something to hit. I want to see him bat in the first inning to get things going every game, and I want to see him get as many AB's as possible this year.

I also want to see Lind and EE compete for who gets to hit behind Bautista and all those walks. He definitely should be behind him against left handed pitching, and he showed last year he can post an OPS over .900 for an extended period of time....

Dol-Fan
02-21-2012, 04:14 PM
I like Lawrie in the 5-hole...waste of his speed by plugging him in at 3.

Ace Drivers
02-21-2012, 04:56 PM
Personally I would like to see EE on the bench permanently!

I would also consider putting Rajai in left where he can make fewer mistakes, put i nthe number one spot and tell him to bunt...never swing just bunt and run!

Put Escobar in the 2 spot followed by bautista...which I think is where he wants to be, and seems most comfortable...

Then early on I might try a combo of Lind/Snider/Thames at 4...I think Lind is there only because of his games played, and I think will be moved to 6 or 7 soon enough...so I'd consider a line up like this (not accounting for LvsR balance)

Davis
Escobar
Bautista
Lind
Lawrie
Johnson
Rasmus
Snider/Thames
JP

Ace Drivers
02-21-2012, 05:01 PM
Now assuming Davis isn't an everyday player (I think Thames/Snider will have to really blow it for it to happen)...

I would put any of the bottom four mentioned earlier in the four spot to see who embraces it.

If Snider finds a consistent stroke we would have a scary 3/4/5 (best spot for Lawrie IMHO) he's got potentially 40HR type of power

wagnall
02-21-2012, 05:44 PM
I'm going out on a limb here, but I think after last year Thames is going to come out stronger and more confident. He has power, just needs to work on taking some pitches, but I see his OBP getting higher and his power #'s better than last year. With that I'd like to see what he can do in the 4 spot.

Escobar SS
Johnson 2nd
Bautista RF
Thames LF/DH
Lawrie 3rd.
Rasmus CF
JPA C
Lind 1st
Snider LF/DH

Bench.

EE super utility guy[what ever the hell that is] some 1st/DH

Mathis
Davis
Vizquel

Just a thought. Its ST., time to try different things. :)

bartron_44
02-21-2012, 05:50 PM
I like Lawrie in the 5-hole...waste of his speed by plugging him in at 3.

His numbers were better then Votto's last year, and you want to bat him 5th?

Lawrie's future is a .300 hitter who can hit 30+ HR's. He is never going to steal 50 bases, but he could hit 40 HR's someday. He already possesses tremendous bat speed and great power to all fields at the age of 21! He should be groomed as our #3 hitter with Bautista (one of the best long ball hitters in baseball) at the 4 spot. Lawrie will still get plenty of opportunities to run and could maybe be a 30/30 guy some day in the 3 hole, but his power and overall hitting are more valuable tools then his speed. I would rather maximize the return on those then worry about him stealing bases more bases and maybe getting hurt. Speed is nice, but SB's are not really that important. His ability to stay out of the double play,go 1st to 3rd and score on a double from first base is what I really care about in terms of his speed.

His ability to hit around .300 with power and good wheels make him a perfect #3 hitter.

2009mvp
02-21-2012, 05:54 PM
At some point don't you have to earn the right to hit cleanup? It's not like this is a team completely devoid of power or something. It's just insane to me to have Lind coming off the numbers he's posted the past two seasons in the middle of any lineup.

town123
02-21-2012, 06:32 PM
His numbers were better then Votto's last year, and you want to bat him 5th?

His ability to hit around .300 with power and good wheels make him a perfect #3 hitter.

And to agree with 2009MVP about Lind.... we can only hope by midseason that this is our 3-4 and hopefully Carnation Milk or KJ, Snider or somebody can hit 5th behind Jose.

2009mvp
02-21-2012, 06:51 PM
^^Well no, I can and will still hope Lind finds whatever it is he's lost the past two years and starts hitting like it's 2009 again in the four hole (however improbable that may be), but even if that eventually happens it's still no justification for having him there on Opening Day. Right now he's a bad offensive player and should be treated as such until he proves otherwise.

BlueJaysFan
02-21-2012, 06:53 PM
I really want to see Cecil have a great season

wagnall
02-21-2012, 07:48 PM
Has Omar hit camp yet? Haven't heard anything about him yet.

nstojic
02-21-2012, 08:27 PM
davidi piece on mcgowan

Simply being one of the guys right now is an achievement for Dustin McGowan.

There is no special throwing program for him to follow so far this spring training, no workload limit to keep track of, no restrictions to hold him back. His preparations for the 2012 season are no different than those of every other starting pitcher in camp for the Toronto Blue Jays.

"It’s the way things have been going," McGowan said with a wide smile Tuesday in the Florida Auto Exchange Stadium clubhouse. "It’s been a normal schedule, throwing sides regular like everybody else, covering regular.

"Everything is good right now."

read on... (read on...)

BlueJaysFan
02-21-2012, 09:28 PM
Ooo thank you barry Davis

Says 2 spring training games will be broadcasted, march 18th (vs. phillies) and April 1st (vs. pirates)

DeRozan10
02-21-2012, 09:53 PM
kinda crappy only 2 games

cant wait for the season to start

BlueJaysFan
02-21-2012, 10:16 PM
kinda crappy only 2 games

cant wait for the season to start

Yeah that kind of sucks :mad:

nstojic
02-21-2012, 11:33 PM
Forgot about Dre?

Kyle Drabek has been hearing it ever since he first picked up a baseball.

Coaches, managers and other players have been telling him all his life not to let his emotions get the better of him.

“I’ve heard it, but I’ve never paid attention,” Drabek said Tuesday, on the eve of the official start to spring training where he will try to pitch his way back into the Blue Jays rotation.

“But it wasn’t until I got home this offseason and talked to my dad (former Cy Young Award-winner Doug Drabek) that it sunk in: When you show emotion on the mound, the other team is going to notice and then take advantage.”

This spring, with a simplified delivery and the welcome help of his coaches, he is trying to piece things back together.

“My first priority is mechanics,” he said of the work he’s doing with coaches Bruce Walton and Dane Johnson to build a repeatable delivery.

“But secondly, it’s about keeping my emotions intact on the mound. I’ve got to slow the game down. I tend to rush when I get frustrated.”

link (link)

bomber0104
02-22-2012, 12:59 AM
So many things to look for this year

- Lawrie's first full season
- Competition between Thames and Snider (please breakout already)
-Seeing how Cecil and Morrow bounce back
- Seeing what Alvarez can do over a full season

and the most intriguing story to me

- Following Drabek's comeback (I'm expecting big things)

nstojic
02-22-2012, 07:39 AM
I like cecil and he makes a great #3... I hope this attitude translates to the field cause we've heard these words from guys like Snider, before...

“Butter said he did not recognize me at all,” Cecil said Monday. “He said he had to come over to see who the new lefty was.”

Cecil, eager for change after posting a 4-11 record last season and spending two months in the minors, shook his head and chuckled.

“Butter said, ‘In all seriousness, I didn’t recognize you.’”

“When I had a bad game,” Cecil said, “they said I was too heavy. If that was right or wrong doesn’t matter. I had to make changes, and what I am doing right now makes for a much healthier lifestyle.”

“I weighed 252 pounds by the end of last year,” Cecil said after throwing a bullpen session at Florida Auto Exchange Stadium. “I’m 219 today. My foot quickness is so much better, everything is so much better.”

Does he feel like a new man?

“Yes,” Cecil said. “Yes, I do.”

“He is clearly committed and is in great physical condition,” Farrell said. “The credit needs to be given to him.”

Cecil said that “some deep reading” also has made a strong contribution to his turnaround.

“I feel like I have purpose,” said the 2007 first-round pick from the University of Maryland. “My intensity level has gone from six to 12 on a scale of 1-to-10.”

What does that mean to Cecil?

“Get rid of the bull [crap],” he said. “Do what needs to be done. Throw ego out the window and just do it.”

globeandmail (globeandmail)

AA09-?
02-22-2012, 11:00 AM
Cecil was 252 lbs? WTF did he eat to get that heavy....Jayson Nix?

Krylian
02-22-2012, 11:17 AM
McDonald's and Wendy's. He still eats there.

miller74
02-22-2012, 11:59 AM

Randy Ruiz, havent u been wondering what happened to him?

nstojic
02-22-2012, 12:05 PM
McDonald's and Wendy's. He still eats there.

it's not WHAT you eat.. it's HOW MUCH

jamjar
02-22-2012, 01:46 PM
wow.. he was 252? didn't think he was that big.

i'm picking up cec in fantasy leagues this year - last round. could very well be a sleeper.

Krylian
02-22-2012, 02:03 PM
it's not WHAT you eat.. it's HOW MUCH

It's both.

A pound of lard is much worse than 5 pounds of spinach.

nstojic
02-22-2012, 02:20 PM
It's both.

A pound of lard is much worse than 5 pounds of spinach.

not for weight management.. for deeper health issues, sure but not for weight loss/gain.... that's why snider struggles to trim down.. he subscribes to the BS 'don't eat carbs and you can have as much protein/fat as you want and nothing will happen' from gary taubes...

wagnall
02-22-2012, 03:50 PM

I read that Nix has disappeared under strange circumstances. :whistle:

wagnall
02-22-2012, 05:59 PM
Wilner tweeted at 2:30 that Rasmus isn't at camp yet. Why is everyone else there. Think he would have been there already with all the other guys.

Dol-Fan
02-22-2012, 06:03 PM
Wilner tweeted at 2:30 that Rasmus isn't at camp yet. Why is everyone else there. Think he would have been there already with all the other guys.

just curious...any word on who else isn't there yet?

I haven't seen Esco, Johnson, Rasmus, Morrow, Alvarez, or Thames in any pictures/reports...so it's not like everyone is there, they're not required to report until the 24th I believe

town123
02-22-2012, 06:08 PM
^^Well no, I can and will still hope Lind finds whatever it is he's lost the past two years and starts hitting like it's 2009 again in the four hole (however improbable that may be), but even if that eventually happens it's still no justification for having him there on Opening Day. Right now he's a bad offensive player and should be treated as such until he proves otherwise.

dur.... of course we all hope that's the case, goes without saying. I just believe he needs somebody else whispering in his ear that's all.

StealingSigns
02-22-2012, 07:19 PM
What does "stickied" mean. :confused: Been here a while never heard this. :o:o:o

It's the tool TM's and mods use to keep a thread at the top of the forum page. You will see those little thumb tack icons to denote this.

nstojic
02-22-2012, 08:21 PM
Romero feels for cecil/drabek

When Blue Jays pitchers Kyle Drabek and Brett Cecil both hit the wall — and hit it hard— last season, nobody on the pitching staff felt more empathy than Ricky Romero.

“It’s tough for a young kid to come up here and all of a sudden he gets hit in the mouth and he doesn’t know how to react,” Romero said Tuesday.

Romero could see the signs and sense the panic because like Drabek and Cecil, who had no answers when that wall knocked them flat, he had been there before.

The difference for Romero was that his dark period happened in the deep minor leagues, in front of hundreds of fans, not thousands. There weren’t 20 reporters waiting at the end of the day to probe the wound, no TV cameras to record the embarrassing meltdowns.

There were only questions with complicated answers that are invisible to someone who has never faced adversity.

Romero always had a target on his back as “the guy who the Jays took instead of Troy Tulowitzki” with the sixth pick in the 2005 draft. But at least he didn’t have to wear it every day as he struggled far from Toronto, in the minors, where he was just another kid trying to figure it all out.

“To this day, I still thank God that I went through those times,” Romero said. “For me personally, as a young player, you have to fail before you come up (to the bigs), just so you know what it’s like to fail. It happened over 21/2 years for me when I was consistently going out and failing, failing, failing, failing. It made me mentally stronger.”

Romero wandered in the baseball wilderness for four years but when things came together for him in the spring of 2009, it was as if a light went on. He won a rotation spot that spring in his final start, rallying from some early camp setbacks.

He has responded with three solid seasons, each better than the one before. His win totals went from 13 to 14 to 15. His ERAs went from 4.30 to 3.73 to 2.92. His innings went from 178 to 210 to 225. His status went from draft mistake to staff leader.

Now far from those early struggles, Romero is the guy with the torch in his hand, leading the Blue Jays, he hopes, to a place they haven’t been in nearly two decades: The playoffs.

“When I came up, it was Roy Halladay and guys like that, older than me,” he said. “I was the kid. I’m only 27 years old but I feel like I’m old now. Everyone talks about me leading the staff but I don’t really pay attention to stuff like that. I just go about my business and work hard. I learned in the big leagues by watching just one guy (Halladay) and I hope other young guys do the same with me. Just watch how I work.”

Romero has talked with Drabek and Cecil, who both were stung hard last year and are dealing with their setbacks.

Cecil has dropped 32 pounds and turned into a gym rat, increasing the intensity of his workouts to give himself the kind of athletic body that he hopes will be a platform for success.

“We sat down and had some very candid conversations with (Cecil) at the end of the season,” manager John Farrell said. “He was well aware of it and he wasn’t pleased with the way things turned out last year.

“To his credit, he made the commitment to get himself in better shape. Whether that translates into more velocity, we’ll see. But more importantly, this will really help him with body control and his ability to repeat his delivery.”

A lot of people look at the Blue Jays starting staff and simply see a status quo and are not impressed. Romero looks at the same staff and sees continuity, with another year of experience from which to draw upon.

“We’re young but we’re all battle-tested,” he said. “We’ve been doing it for two, three, four years now.”

Drabek came into last year’s camp more or less guaranteed a spot in the rotation. That is not the case this year. He will have to earn a spot and plans to do just that.

“I think the guys that struggled last year are coming in wanting to prove everyone wrong,” Romero said. “That’s a good mindset.”

torontosun (torontosun)

AA09-?
02-23-2012, 10:04 AM
I read that Nix has disappeared under strange circumstances. :whistle:

:laugh2:

Converged
02-23-2012, 11:03 AM
not for weight management.. for deeper health issues, sure but not for weight loss/gain.... that's why snider struggles to trim down.. he subscribes to the BS 'don't eat carbs and you can have as much protein/fat as you want and nothing will happen' from gary taubes...

This is very off-topic, but as a nutritionist, low-carb diets are a great way to drop weight. I won't argue the pros and cons of it being a healthy lifestyle because there is so much conflicting science behind that. However, there is a plethora of evidence that shows low-carb diets to be a successful weight loss technique. A lot of people take low-carb out of context and think it means eating bacon and beef jerky all day which is clearly not realistic nor healthy. However, I can pretty much guarantee that you can eat all the meat your body could handle in one day (good meats - chicken, fish, lean red meat, etc) and mix it with low carb veggies (green beans, celery, etc) you would drop a lot of weight over the course of a month or two.

nstojic
02-23-2012, 11:37 AM
This is very off-topic, but as a nutritionist, low-carb diets are a great way to drop weight. I won't argue the pros and cons of it being a healthy lifestyle because there is so much conflicting science behind that. However, there is a plethora of evidence that shows low-carb diets to be a successful weight loss technique. A lot of people take low-carb out of context and think it means eating bacon and beef jerky all day which is clearly not realistic nor healthy. However, I can pretty much guarantee that you can eat all the meat your body could handle in one day (good meats - chicken, fish, lean red meat, etc) and mix it with low carb veggies (green beans, celery, etc) you would drop a lot of weight over the course of a month or two.

folks, this is what frustrates me... you're a nutritionist but you rely on studies and findings that you've never questioned... take nothing at face-value.. scrutinize it for yourself... take a look at the studies that you cite where low-carb is somehow superior for weight-loss... they're largely SELF-REPORTING STUDIES i.e. people will consciously and subconsciously fib the results.. put the study in a metabolic ward(live there and the scientists control absolutely everything) and you'll see that if take a generic 200 lb male, feed him 30% below his BMR.. try this deficit with a diet that's heavy on protein/fat... now try it with the exact same amount of calories but have the composition of those calories come from higher carb, moderate protein/fat, HE WILL LOSE THE SAME AMOUNT OF WEIGHT... and this is OT so I won't start posting everything that's pulling people away from the BS dogma of 'low carb' or even the 'low fat' of the 90's...

nstojic
02-23-2012, 11:43 AM
back on topic (back on topic)

2009mvp
02-23-2012, 11:58 AM
Who dressed that kid in O's gear and took him to the Jays' facility? Anyways KJ and Escobar haven't arrived yet either, clearly they hate the team and baseball in general just like Colby, amiright?

nstojic
02-23-2012, 12:47 PM
2012 ZiPS projections (2012 ZiPS projections)

PJ Awesome
02-23-2012, 02:08 PM
back on topic (back on topic)

hahaha Escobar and Rasmus aren't at camp yet, what a shock.:rolleyes:

2009mvp
02-23-2012, 02:18 PM
Rasmus arrived today

Converged
02-23-2012, 02:23 PM
folks, this is what frustrates me... you're a nutritionist but you rely on studies and findings that you've never questioned... take nothing at face-value.. scrutinize it for yourself... take a look at the studies that you cite where low-carb is somehow superior for weight-loss... they're largely SELF-REPORTING STUDIES i.e. people will consciously and subconsciously fib the results.. put the study in a metabolic ward(live there and the scientists control absolutely everything) and you'll see that if take a generic 200 lb male, feed him 30% below his BMR.. try this deficit with a diet that's heavy on protein/fat... now try it with the exact same amount of calories but have the composition of those calories come from higher carb, moderate protein/fat, HE WILL LOSE THE SAME AMOUNT OF WEIGHT... and this is OT so I won't start posting everything that's pulling people away from the BS dogma of 'low carb' or even the 'low fat' of the 90's...

I hate staying off topic, but there is certainly plenty of scientific evidence that supports this. Not to sound like a condescending douchebag, but I spent 6 years in University to become a professional in my field - I have done my research. What evidence are you using? Simply put, catabolism, the process where proteins are broken into amino acids, require roughly 20-30% more energy expenditure from your body to metabolise. In the words, the human body works ~30% harder to metabolise proteins than it does other foods. Sugars (specifically non-complex sugars) are almost instantly entered into the blood stream with practically zero exothermic reactions. Couple the fact that ~30% of the calories of protein go to your bodies digestion mixed with complex-low-carb solutions like green beans and your body is primed for weight loss.

Either way, it sounds like you are set in your views so I will not be posting about this further...so..umm...GO JAYS :cool:

wagnall
02-23-2012, 02:51 PM
It's the tool TM's and mods use to keep a thread at the top of the forum page. You will see those little thumb tack icons to denote this.

Thank you much appreciated...:)

nstojic
02-23-2012, 04:23 PM
I hate staying off topic, but there is certainly plenty of scientific evidence that supports this. Not to sound like a condescending douchebag, but I spent 6 years in University to become a professional in my field - I have done my research. What evidence are you using? Simply put, catabolism, the process where proteins are broken into amino acids, require roughly 20-30% more energy expenditure from your body to metabolise. In the words, the human body works ~30% harder to metabolise proteins than it does other foods. Sugars (specifically non-complex sugars) are almost instantly entered into the blood stream with practically zero exothermic reactions. Couple the fact that ~30% of the calories of protein go to your bodies digestion mixed with complex-low-carb solutions like green beans and your body is primed for weight loss.

Either way, it sounds like you are set in your views so I will not be posting about this further...so..umm...GO JAYS :cool:

just answer two things, please... are you trying to say that if we take that 200lb guy and overfeed him by 1000 calories(all from protein) that he wouldn't gain bodyfat?

and secondly, how much do you love gary taubes and michael eades?

and because this isn't the place for this.. I'll stay with a simple mainstream example of what I'm saying, explain this (this)

nstojic
02-23-2012, 05:37 PM
Two other Latins, shortstop Yunel Escobar and designated hitter Edwin Encarnacion, also had not arrived by noon on Thursday, but manager John Farrell expects them on Friday, the official reporting date for position players.

While most players have been in camp for at least two weeks, Farrell was unconcerned about the timing of Escobar and Encarnacion, nor the most recent arrivals, Kelly Johnson (Wednesday) and Colby Rasmus (Thursday).

Spring training is primarily for pitchers to find their groove, while position players generally need about three weeks to get ready, the manager said.

national post (national post)

nstojic
02-23-2012, 05:38 PM
Lott's twitter

Vizquel, whose locker is next to Hechavarria: "From what I hear from all the guys, he’s kind of like a goofy guy a little bit... He loses his head on the field sometimes. So I think it’s our job – not only mine but the infield instructor and teammates... to kind of keep him in the game and keep him focused." Vizquel also worked on similar challenges with Elvis Andrus in Texas.

nstojic
02-23-2012, 05:46 PM
slightly OT: I am loving all the blue.. the 'new' logo is everywhere and it's amaaaaaaaaaaaazing!

nstojic
02-23-2012, 05:51 PM
some good content in Chisholm's blog (Chisholm's blog)

wagnall
02-23-2012, 06:48 PM
:offtopic: Braun cleared, no 50 game suspension. So I guess they believed him.

AA09-?
02-23-2012, 06:50 PM
Would love to hear their explanation behind clearing him wrong doing.

PJ Awesome
02-23-2012, 06:53 PM
:offtopic: Braun cleared, no 50 game suspension. So I guess they believed him.

What a bunch of BS.

IMO.

wagnall
02-23-2012, 07:01 PM
I guess we are "Stickied" now. Love to be on top.......sorry dear your turn tonight :love:

wagnall
02-23-2012, 07:05 PM
What a bunch of BS.

IMO.

Manny going WTF, I thought I talked my way out of it. I'm innocent too :whistle:

PJ Awesome
02-23-2012, 07:33 PM
I guess we are "Stickied" now. Love to be on top.......sorry dear your turn tonight :love:

Everybody likes a break every once and a while, make em do all the work hahah

GrantHustle
02-23-2012, 07:51 PM
In this article Farrell is talking about his batting order and it says something about Kelly Johson hitting in front of Jose and Lind now that is the major reason why the Jays wont go anywhere unless we get him out of the 4th spot...here's the full article http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/2012/02/23/dunedin_davidi_blue_jays_john_farrell/

wagnall
02-23-2012, 07:59 PM
I hope Lind actually has to earn the 4 spot in camp and that its just not a for gone conclusion that he's it.

I see the bench with Mathis for catcher, but I wonder who makes it as the spare infielder. Would think its between McCoy, Valbuena and Vizquel. Wonder who comes out of TC with that spot? I hope they aren't thinking of using EE in that spot!

wagnall
02-23-2012, 08:03 PM
Sounds like Bauts is really ready for 2012. Said to be ready to go and 100% healthy. Hope he still feels that enthused if Lind is still hitting behind him. But he did it last year with no protection, hope which ever name slotted in the 4 spot earns it in TC.

Krylian
02-23-2012, 08:27 PM

What do you mean?

The Braun camp said it was Herpes meds that caused the positive test. I'm assuming they must've somehow proven that this was in fact it.

I'm not a doctor so I don't know.

We'll see if Braun is rail thin...

2009mvp
02-23-2012, 08:36 PM

Basically, the person handling the sample wasn't able to follow proper protocol. I don't see how any of this clears him of wrong-doing though, unless someone can explain how synthetic testosterone ended up in his piss after he handed over the sample.

Converged
02-23-2012, 08:58 PM
just answer two things, please... are you trying to say that if we take that 200lb guy and overfeed him by 1000 calories(all from protein) that he wouldn't gain bodyfat?

and secondly, how much do you love gary taubes and michael eades?

and because this isn't the place for this.. I'll stay with a simple mainstream example of what I'm saying, explain this (this)

1. No...how did you come about that? Your body burns a set amount of calories per day (say 2500). If you are over that, you will gain weight. A surplus of calories is a surplus of calories. They will turn into fat.

However, if you overfeed a guy by 1000 calories a day, he would gain less fat if the calories came from protein than if they came from bread. As I said before, your body will use about 30% of the calories from protein to break them down into amino acids and metabolise them...it doesn't take that much effort to metabolise bread. So in this instance with protein, the guy would have a net excess of about 700 calories for which would turn to fat. However, if it was bread, it might be an excess of 900 (assuming the body only uses 10% to metabolise bread). You follow me?

2. I'm not familiar with either of those people.

3. You tried to accuse me of using anecdotal evidence, yet you back up your point with a new story of some guy that does nothing to disprove my point. If your body requires 2500 calories a day, you could eat nothing but 2000 calories of sugar and still lose weight because you are running a calorie deficit. However, if you did the same thing but with 2000 calories of protein, you would lose 20-30% more weight (due to the energy it takes to metabolise it). It's simple science really...

nstojic
02-23-2012, 09:17 PM
1. No...how did you come about that? Your body burns a set amount of calories per day (say 2500). If you are over that, you will gain weight. A surplus of calories is a surplus of calories. They will turn into fat.

However, if you overfeed a guy by 1000 calories a day, he would gain less fat if the calories came from protein than if they came from bread. As I said before, your body will use about 30% of the calories from protein to break them down into amino acids and metabolise them...it doesn't take that much effort to metabolise bread. So in this instance with protein, the guy would have a net excess of about 700 calories for which would turn to fat. However, if it was bread, it might be an excess of 900 (assuming the body only uses 10% to metabolise bread). You follow me?

2. I'm not familiar with either of those people.

3. You tried to accuse me of using anecdotal evidence, yet you back up your point with a new story of some guy that does nothing to disprove my point. If your body requires 2500 calories a day, you could eat nothing but 2000 calories of sugar and still lose weight because you are running a calorie deficit. However, if you did the same thing but with 2000 calories of protein, you would lose 20-30% more weight (due to the energy it takes to metabolise it). It's simple science really...

the thermic effect of food is dramatically overrated... as is the 'muscle burns more calories to maintain'... but we're here on there on agreeing on some things... if I keep going, it'll derail this thread.. all I'm saying is the opposite of sedentary is a pro athlete and the absolute best source of fuel for our bodies is glucose... no athlete should be eating low-carb.. low-carb is great if you're obese, diabetic, and lounge around all day long... otherwise optimal performance comes from carbs...

The bottom line is that there is no metabolic advantage to a low carbohydrate intake that is independent of a high protein intake. There is a metabolic advantage to a high protein diet, which will increase the calories you burn by 80-100 calories per day.

read this guy, he's very good (read this guy, he's very good)

think about that... 80-100 calories in a day is nothing.. one lindt chocolate ball and the entire advantage is undone :D

nstojic
02-23-2012, 09:28 PM
read this guy, too... trust me.. (read this guy, too... trust me..)

bljay29
02-23-2012, 09:38 PM
I so hope Snider puts it all together this year, along with Morrow as well

BlueJaysFan
02-23-2012, 11:39 PM
I so hope Snider puts it all together this year, along with Morrow as well

+ Lind + Rasmus + Drabek + Cecil + McGowan :speechless:

wagnall
02-23-2012, 11:50 PM
+ Lind + Rasmus + Drabek + Cecil + McGowan :speechless:

+ Johnson + EE [can he put 3 good months up] and the list goes on. :)

AA09-?
02-24-2012, 12:03 AM
What do you mean?

The Braun camp said it was Herpes meds that caused the positive test. I'm assuming they must've somehow proven that this was in fact it.

I'm not a doctor so I don't know.

We'll see if Braun is rail thin...

One

AA09-?
02-24-2012, 12:03 AM
Basically, the person handling the sample wasn't able to follow proper protocol. I don't see how any of this clears him of wrong-doing though, unless someone can explain how synthetic testosterone ended up in his piss after he handed over the sample.

Then the other.:confused:

nstojic
02-24-2012, 12:08 PM
where's vizquel at, with camp kicking off?

Vizquel shows with the glove over the coming weeks will decide things.

"Our utility guy is going to have to be able to play shortstop," said manager John Farrell. "Not only the range, but the arm strength, if all those are in what we feel are normal or appropriate levels of playing the position at a major-league calibre. That’s what we’re going to begin to hinge and narrow our focus on.

"The defensive side is more the priority than what the offensive contributions are. And that’s not to discount what a player can do from that side of the game. We’re looking forward to seeing him get back in a game and seeing him at game speed."

Read on... (Read on...)

nstojic
02-24-2012, 12:12 PM
a little more on Vizquel in the clubhouse..

If he is unlucky, Omar Vizquel’s marvelous career could fade to black before opening day. But, meanwhile, the kid at the next locker gets to study with a master.

The Toronto Blue Jays knew exactly what they were doing when they assigned Vizquel and Adeiny Hechavarria to adjacent lockers in the spring-training clubhouse. Vizquel, 44, owns 11 Gold Gloves at shortstop and may someday earn a spot in the Hall of Fame. Hechavarria, 22, is a shortstop too, and one of Toronto’s top prospects.

Even before Vizquel arrived Wednesday, team officials made sure he had the book on Hechavarria, the long, lithe Cuban who, at his best, is a defensive wizard.

The book on Hechavarria contains this page too.

“From what I hear from all the guys, he’s kind of like a goofy guy a little bit — he loses his head on the field sometimes,” Vizquel said. “So I think it’s our job — not only mine but the infield instructor and teammates — to kind of keep him in the game and keep him focused.”

Vizquel has stayed focused for 23 seasons. He says this year will be his last as a player, and his minor-league contract offers no guarantee that he will make the team. But his wisdom, calming presence and ability to communicate in Spanish with Hechavarria and incumbent shortstop Yunel Escobar would appear to give him an edge.

read on... (read on...)

nstojic
02-24-2012, 12:22 PM
OT... poor guy...

Justin Morneau spoke with the media this morning down in Fort Myers and he does not sound like a man who is totally healthy and ready to proceed with his career.

Jim Souhan of the Star Tribune reported that “he looks skinny” and “sounds worried.” Morneau said that he had not had concussion symptoms since January. But just last month there were reports that he hadn’t had them since December, which suggests his issues still aren’t going away.

Indeed, Morneau sounds practically fatalistic about his career:

“I don’t think there will be a career if it’s something I’m dealing with..I’m obviously not going to continue to mess around with this if it continues to be a problem. There comes a point where you can only torture yourself for so long … I continue to look for something positive, and look how far I’ve come in the last week or in the last month and just hope it continues to go well.”

If it’s torture to try to come back, one can only assume that he’s not willing to put up with much more of it.

This is not a good morning for Twins fans. Or anyone else who is concerned about Justin Morneau’s health and career.

NBChardballtalk (NBChardballtalk)

nstojic
02-24-2012, 12:44 PM
OT Lol

Manny just asked if I was the video coordinator...our relationship can only go up from here.

twitter, A's SP brett anderson

nstojic
02-24-2012, 12:51 PM
thescore.com blogs a preview of the 2012 jays, HERE (HERE)

and a nice little spreadsheet of the roster, HERE (HERE)

leafswin2011
02-24-2012, 01:18 PM
OT Lol

lmfao

nstojic
02-24-2012, 02:45 PM
Sportsnet's Barry Davis is building a nice photo gallery (photo gallery)

AA09-?
02-24-2012, 04:01 PM
OT Lol

This seems about right.

Toxeryll
02-24-2012, 04:10 PM
OT Lol

wahahah

ah nuts
02-24-2012, 11:25 PM
this team seems so full of dormant talent.

should be friggin exciting year

:cheer::cheer::cheer:

Dol-Fan
02-24-2012, 11:27 PM
Sportsnet's Barry Davis is building a nice photo gallery (photo gallery)

Awesome stuff. I'd go through those a few times just to keep looking at the unis...

AA09-?
02-25-2012, 09:04 AM
Gotta love those new uni's!

Jays Claw
02-25-2012, 11:18 AM
"Last year I was beat up a little bit mentally," Rasmus said outside the clubhouse at Florida Auto Exchange Stadium. "Just couldn't do many things right last year, I felt like my confidence got down, but this offseason I've had some time to get that back and I'm just going to try have fun, smile and just enjoy my teammates and not let the things that I can't control bother me.

"Last year, some times, I might have tried to control some things I couldn't control and worry about things I shouldn't be worrying about. If I would have just focused on the game, see the baseball, hit the baseball, run it down and catch it, it probably would have taken care of itself."

"I just went home and spent some time with my family, which I usually do and got in the weight room, which is a place that I'm comfortable at, trying to put some strength back on," Rasmus said. "But I didn't really talk to many people. I think that might have been my problem to begin with, getting too much advice from too many different sides, my headed started spinning a little bit, I didn't know which way to actually go.

"Instead of just having confidence in myself and sticking with what I know, I kind of listened to other people and might have gotten my head into different places where I felt like I wasn't confident when it came down to it when I needed myself the most."

One person that he did spend time talking to was Dwayne Murphy. Toronto's hitting coach paid a visit to Rasmus' home three weeks ago to monitor his progress in the offseason. Last season, the Blue Jays believed there was a problem with Rasmus' mechanics at the plate.

The third-year outfielder was using a high leg kick during the 2011 campaign, which appeared to cause problems with his timing at the plate. The Blue Jays' coaching staff approached Rasmus about the issue when he was acquired last July, but Rasmus felt it would be more appropriate to make the changes during the offseason and Murphy was looking for an update.

By all accounts, the report was completely positive. Murphy was happy with what he saw, and the lower leg kick that Rasmus is now using could end up paying big dividends this year.

"From a fundamental standpoint, the more controlled leg kick, he was able to handle the ball away from him, handle the ball on the inner part of the plate, he was hitting the ball to all fields," Blue Jays manager John Farrell said. "But the most important thing that stood out was his eagerness and his attitude of being very positive, couldn't wait to get to camp and couldn't wait to get back involved.

"Today was Day 1 that he was on the field, and just the interactions ... he's a good kid. He understands what makes him successful and just hearing the conversation with him, he's eager to get going and he comes in with a very positive outlook."

Read more... (http://www.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120224&content_id=26838012&vkey=news_tor&c_id=tor)

Canadian hemi
02-25-2012, 11:47 AM
umm...I don't like what he has said here!...Sounds like..he doesn't like being told/helped by anyone. Now maybe to many people were trying to help him...(is that a bad thing)? Seems like he's still a little young..and knows everything. I may be looking to hard into this..but...I don't know..I just don't get a "warm fuzzy" feeling inside me...when I read that.

wagnall
02-25-2012, 11:57 AM
And we are off. :dance:

town123
02-25-2012, 12:28 PM
You know I'm not a big fan of Murphy's style.

I think Colby is a kid that definately needs to focus on his obp instead of swinging for the fences. Not trying to stifle the kids power, but with his athletecism I think his value is tied into his using his speed.

nstojic
02-25-2012, 10:27 PM
AA talks all things 'Jays', HERE (HERE)

masTOR_shake1
02-26-2012, 12:28 AM
I can't help but wonder how the thames/snider situation will play out :smoking: despite the dissapointment of the offseaon (imo), I haven't been this excited/optomistic for a season in a long, long while and it's only going to get better :)

nstojic
02-26-2012, 02:14 AM
theStar video series: Lawrie (theStar video series: Lawrie)

and the write-up (write-up)

nstojic
02-26-2012, 09:23 AM
this is going to be the only place in my day-to-day life where i can disclose this and it'll actually make sense :D

no joke, 100% serious... you know how sometimes you've slept all night and probably dreamed of hundreds of things, but when you wake up, you only vividly recall one or two things? It must have been that lawrie video ^^ being the last thing I saw before bed or something but I just woke up and the only thing I could recall was a sliver of dream where lawrie is running up the first-base line and it's a bang-bang play and the ump calls him 'out' and he's loses it! He storms over to his dugout and grabs a giant bundle of hay and tears it apart, throwing it all over the field in the process... for some reason, they were wearing pullover uni's, no buttons, so he grabs the chest of it and tears it apart while looking skyward and shouting all barbarian-like and then i wake up :laugh2:

"You know you're excited for Jays baseball, when..." :laugh:

nstojic
02-26-2012, 09:29 AM
Chisholm shoots the s**t with Romero..

Working on anything different this spring?

“Planning on working on refining the cutter a little better this year and kind of learning how to pitch with it. Backdoor side to the frontdoor side, stuff like that, so that’s where my focus is coming into the spring. I already talked to Papi (Blue Jays pitching coach Bruce Walton) about it and we’re on board and obviously you always want to clean up your mechanics and shake that rust off. Other than that just have a healthy spring and go from there.”

What did you learn during your first season as a No. 1 starter?

“I think you’re kind of looked at as the leader of the staff, and I felt like the way I went out there and led by example, I did a pretty decent job of it. I was proud of that and obviously now having Brandon, Dustin, Cecil and Henderson on board and all the guys fighting for spots I think they kind of saw what happened last year and a lot of those guys don’t want it to repeat again. I feel like a lot of guys are focused and ready for this year.”

On the need for more innings from the rotation…

“I think every starting pitcher that’s a goal they have in mind every time they take the mound and that’s to go as deep as possible. Being around it and the more you see it, the more you see what it takes, I think it gets you more mentally prepared than anything.

“It also helps when you look at the bullpen on paper, we’re as good as anyone, and I think that helps a lot. We have a lot of depth, we have two closers in Francisco Cordero and Sergio. A lot of guys have done it before with Frasor and Casey, I feel like our depth in bullpen is tremendous and I’m really excited to see them work.”

On Brett Cecil coming into camp having dropped 32 pounds…

“Unbelieveable, just watching him and the determination he showed and the work he has put in, you can tell right away. I think everyone is happy for him and now it’s just a matter of going out there, putting it all together and getting outs because that’s what you’re here for. I mean, it’s good that he lost all that weight but you have to go out there and perform.”

On finishing last season strong…

“It definitely felt good to get on a roll towards the end and finish the season strong. I think that was one of the things people questioned about me, whether I was going to be able to hang through a whole year but I was able to do it and not once did I feel fatigued or tired. I just wanted to finish strong and I did.”

How much did it help your career to go through those rough years in the Minors before breaking into the Majors as a rookie?

“A lot. To this day I still thank god I went through those times. For me, personally, as a young player I think you have to fail before you come up here just so you know what it’s like to fail. It happened for two and a half years for me where I was consistently failing. I think it made me mentally stronger and it’s tough for a young kid to come up here and all of a sudden they get hit in the mouth and don’t know how to react. But I think a lot of those guys that happened to last year, they’re coming in with a different mindset.”

On J.P. Arencibia…

“I think him and I had a great relationship as far as a game plan and knowing what to do. You can go through scouting reports and things like that but I think he always knew what was working for me that night and we were always on the same page. He’s going to continue to get better, and having Molina on his side was good, and I think having Mathis will be just as good too. Mathis has obviously that experience of working with a great staff in Anaheim and if (Arencibia) continues to learn, which I’m sure he will, he’ll be that much better.”

Lots of young starters around now — wasn’t like that when you broke into the league..

“When I came up it was Roy Halladay and guys like that, that were older than me so I was kind of the younger one. Now, I’m only 27 years old, and I feel like I’m old now. Everyone is kind of you’re the leader of the staff but I don’t pay attention to stuff like that. I just continue to go about my business and work hard. I learned in the big leagues by just watching one guy and I hope other guys do the same with me. Just watch the way I work and go about my business and when it’s time to strap it on it’s full game mode and hopefully guys continue to adapt to that learning process.”

On the competition among the young starters…

“I think it’s great. It’s just pushing guys to be that much better, including me. I always say, there’s always someone working just as hard as you, if not outworking you, so you have to continue to push and I feel like the competition this year I think it’s going to put pressure on all of us and make us work that much harder.”

Can the overall inexperience hurt this team?

“We won’t let that happen. We have guys that have done it for awhile now, position players, pitchers, and I think our youthfulness is going to work on our side and to our advantage.”

More certainty with the roster compared to last year at this time?

“I think so. Obviously we came out with a few question marks last year from the starting staff, position players and everywhere else. I felt like a lot of those questions got answered last year. J.P. did a great job, Lawrie came up and did a great job at third base and Lind did a tremendous job at first base. I think at one point last year we all just came together and it was like, okay these are the guys that are going to be with us for awhile and it’s good to know that. It’s good to come to Spring and I don’t have to worry about that stuff anymore I just go out and play the game.

On lots of Blue Jays being on Twitter…

“We have fun with it. We talk a lot of smack. We usually pick on Lawrie … we’re just trying to get to the fans. There were a few times this offseason where I’d just sit back and have fans ask me questions about anything. When you’re able to do that and they’re able to communicate with their favorite athletes, I think it’s awesome and now that we have the power to do that, it’s a great thing, and I think we use it to our advantage by showing that we do care.”

nstojic
02-26-2012, 09:36 AM
also, found this photo in the National Post, this morning and did THIS (THIS), with it :D

StayOnBoard
02-26-2012, 12:57 PM
Wasn't sure if it was thread worthy (I guess it'll depend on the extent of the injury)

Henderson Alvarez left Sunday's workout with Blue Jays trainer George Poulis due to an undisclosed injury.
Ken Fidlin of the Toronto Sun said Alvarez was "hustled off the field on a utility truck," but he didn't have any information yet on what had happened. We'll provide an update as soon as one becomes available. Alvarez was mighty impressive with the Jays last year, as the 21-year-old posted a 3.53 ERA, 1.13 WHIP and 40/8 K/BB rate over 10 starts.

Hope he's ok.. if he's hurt - we're seriously ****ed (even more so) :)

jmoney23
02-26-2012, 12:58 PM
Ken Fidlin (@FldSunMedia) tweeted this about 15-20 minutes ago

"Pitcher Henderson Alvarez hustled off the field on a utility truck in the care of trainer George Poulis. No info yet regarding what happened."

Hope it's nothing serious, as this could be a blow to the rotation and a setback in the younger career of Henderson.

AA09-?
02-26-2012, 01:03 PM
Wasn't sure if it was thread worthy (I guess it'll depend on the extent of the injury)

:sad2:

wagnall
02-26-2012, 03:09 PM

The part about carted away makes me think its a lower body injury,,hope nothing to do with his knees or ankles. Not a good start! :(

nstojic
02-26-2012, 03:11 PM
The part about carted away makes me think its a lower body injury,,hope nothing to do with his knees or ankles. Not a good start! :(

see: the alvarez thread

wagnall
02-26-2012, 03:13 PM
^^^ Went there after I saw it here 1st, sounds now like it was just a minor thing that he got hit in the foot playing catch. Farrell says no worries.

That could have been a blow. :phew:

Dol-Fan
02-26-2012, 03:30 PM
this is going to be the only place in my day-to-day life where i can disclose this and it'll actually make sense :D

no joke, 100% serious... you know how sometimes you've slept all night and probably dreamed of hundreds of things, but when you wake up, you only vividly recall one or two things? It must have been that lawrie video ^^ being the last thing I saw before bed or something but I just woke up and the only thing I could recall was a sliver of dream where lawrie is running up the first-base line and it's a bang-bang play and the ump calls him 'out' and he's loses it! He storms over to his dugout and grabs a giant bundle of hay and tears it apart, throwing it all over the field in the process... for some reason, they were wearing pullover uni's, no buttons, so he grabs the chest of it and tears it apart while looking skyward and shouting all barbarian-like and then i wake up :laugh2:

"You know you're excited for Jays baseball, when..." :laugh:

also, found this photo in the National Post, this morning and did THIS (THIS), with it :D

both of these...pure win

BlueJaysFan
02-26-2012, 04:01 PM

They did the same thing on that other blue jays forum:D

BlueJaysFan
02-26-2012, 04:02 PM
http://k.wigflip.com/2tyIxtwc/roflbot.jpg

was one of them :laugh:

BlueJaysFan
02-26-2012, 04:06 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/video-toronto-colby-rasmus-dazzles-hacky-bat-193058081.html

BlueJaysFan
02-26-2012, 04:08 PM
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/02/26/animating-the-blue-jays-66-shots-at-a-time/

PJ Awesome
02-26-2012, 04:31 PM

Seriously, that's almost TOO epic.

nstojic
02-26-2012, 05:11 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/video-toronto-colby-rasmus-dazzles-hacky-bat-193058081.html

meh, would've been much more impressive if he just crushed the ball in a good bp session

nstojic
02-26-2012, 07:20 PM
mild lol (lol)

nstojic
02-26-2012, 07:24 PM
Notes: The Blue Jays went through their first day of live batting practice Sunday, and though Jose Bautista, Eric Thames and Colby Rasmus were all left shaking their head at what Ricky Romero was featuring on the mound, the left-hander was far less impressed. "It was OK, still a work in progress, I still feel a little out of whack," said Romero. "Talking to J.P. (Arencibia, his catcher), my ball's got some action on it, which is good, but still not where I want to be, obviously. I felt a little bit rushed mechanics-wise, but that's stuff you clean up as spring training goes on." The second group of pitchers will go through their BP session Monday. …

Starter Henderson Alvarez was carted off the field after a throw from Luis Perez dipped and caught him in the left foot during warm-ups. Manager John Farrell said Alvarez was fine and the team was just being cautious. …

Farrell also said tests on reliever Carlos Villanueva, who left Saturday's workout early because of coldness in his right hand, did not reveal any circulatory issues. "He's going to be re-examined (Monday) and we'll have more of an update at that point," said Farrell. …

Centre-field prospect Anthony Gose went through the day with his right hand taped because of blisters.

Davidi (Davidi)

StealingSigns
02-27-2012, 01:44 AM
Gose has blisters? He had better not be another Al Leiter...

Farsight
02-27-2012, 02:34 AM
I cant wait for opening day, it will make school a lot more bearable for me!

nstojic
02-27-2012, 09:16 AM
When he plays catch with Henderson Alvarez from now on, Luis Perez will likely stick to his fastball.

Toronto Blue Jays fans following Twitter news from Dunedin waxed apoplectic for a couple of hours Sunday after Alvarez, a promising young pitcher, left a morning workout on a golf cart with trainer George Poulis. As one might expect, some fans imagined the worst.

The alarm was false. While warming up, Perez threw a breaking ball. Alvarez missed it. It hit him in the foot. The cart ride was simply precautionary.

“He’s fine,” manager John Farrell said. “Everything checked out.”

---

Edwin Encarnacion looked a little lighter and acted a tad happier when he reported for duty Saturday. He laughed and joked with his old teammates and enjoyed an extended, animated conversation with new teammate and fellow Dominican Francisco Cordero.

The Jays’ goal is to keep Encarnacion feeling upbeat as he rides out his inevitable streaks and slumps, Farrell said.

“When he has been in that positive frame of mind, he’s been an extremely dangerous hitter,” Farrell said. “He’s one of the few guys in our lineup, you look at 36-38 doubles, to me when a guy hits a lot of doubles, I think that speaks to their ability to handle a number of different pitches and not be so streaky in some ways, and Edwin has that ability.”

Encarnacion had 36 doubles and 17 homers in 481 at-bats. Earmarked as the primary designated hitter this year, he will also see occasional duty at first and third base and possibly left field.

Farrell said Encarnacion looks trim, fit and, so far, happy.

“He did a very good job this winter and he has come in raring to go.”

---

National Post (National Post)

-
-

bartron_44
02-27-2012, 09:58 AM

Well, considering Gose throws the ball with his left hand, and was taping his right, I would say it was probably from swinging a bat and not throwing a ball.

nstojic
02-27-2012, 12:50 PM
Alvarez taking part in drills, fine after ball drilled his foot Sunday. Still no sign of Villanueva (possible circulation problem in hand).

John Lott twitter

nstojic
02-27-2012, 12:55 PM
lol (lol)

PJ Awesome
02-27-2012, 01:13 PM
Omar seems down with the idea

nstojic
02-27-2012, 03:35 PM
great photo (great photo) from john lott

nstojic
02-27-2012, 03:37 PM
latest on villanueva, on lott's twitter

Villanueva called Saturday "scary" after he woke up w/ "freezing cold" feeling in R hand. Long story short: He's cleared to work out Tues.

Billyen
02-27-2012, 06:57 PM

Thanks...it took me 10 years of therapy to forget what he did to us and in 1 post you undid all that. Grrrr.

<For those younger posters who don't remember. We traded Jesse BARFEILD for Mr.Leiter! The second he gets here, he gets blisters on his fingers. Doesn't pitch for years. Yet, the Jays stick with him. Then his little finger gets better and we throw him out on the mound so he can get his stuff back. For 2 years the Jays stick with him and get sub-par results.

Most teams would have released him. Then in '95 he puts it all together and after 6 years with the Jays sticking with him...he leaves for FA and puts 9 very good years on baseball together and becomes very wealthy. I get the same feeling with McGowan...I hope I'm wrong.>

Abdul Mutalib
02-27-2012, 08:02 PM
Thanks...it took me 10 years of therapy to forget what he did to us and in 1 post you undid all that. Grrrr.

<For those younger posters who don't remember. We traded Jesse BARFEILD for Mr.Leiter! The second he gets here, he gets blisters on his fingers. Doesn't pitch for years. Yet, the Jays stick with him. Then his little finger gets better and we throw him out on the mound so he can get his stuff back. For 2 years the Jays stick with him and get sub-par results.

Most teams would have released him. Then in '95 he puts it all together and after 6 years with the Jays sticking with him...he leaves for FA and puts 9 very good years on baseball together and becomes very wealthy. I get the same feeling with McGowan...I hope I'm wrong.>
wow, thx 4 the background and yes hope loyalty w/ mcgowan pays off. #LOM

riderfan60
02-27-2012, 08:21 PM
Any news on Mcgowan, Alvarez, or Drabek from early TC. Been looking but haven't found anything newsworthy.

Krylian
02-27-2012, 08:33 PM
Just that McGowan looked good in his first session off the mound...Alvarez is back from his minor foot injury. Hadn't heard anything about Drabek yet.

Also read that they don't allow radar guns this early in spring training.

Cecil must be anxiously waiting for that.....as am I.

ah nuts
02-27-2012, 08:36 PM
Just that McGowan looked good in his first session off the mound...Alvarez is back from his minor foot injury. Hadn't heard anything about Drabek yet.

Also read that they don't allow radar guns this early in spring training.

Cecil must be anxiously waiting for that.....as am I.

is there a radar apt for the iphone?...:rolleyes:

rapsjaysfan88
02-27-2012, 09:38 PM
imagine we had mike napoli batting clean up, our offense would be sweet. I know there are no guarantees he would have produced 4 us like with texas but imagine the v dub trade which was already great 4 us had we kept napoli. aa would be worshipped by many small villages.

LechWalesa
02-27-2012, 10:10 PM
To go into the season with Mike Napoli instead of Lind would be far preferable. I really think that trade is the only big mistake AA has made as a GM.

StealingSigns
02-27-2012, 10:22 PM

:hide:

nstojic
02-27-2012, 11:56 PM
How Pineda should be more like Alvarez from the Scores, Getting Blanked blog (the Scores, Getting Blanked blog)

nstojic
02-28-2012, 12:12 AM
Villanueva addresses the circulation issue

When you make your living pitching with your right arm and your hand is cold as ice, you can’t find a pulse nor detect any blood pressure, it’s time to dial 911.

That’s what happened to Blue Jay pitcher Carlos Villanueva on the weekend.

“It was a scary day Saturday,” said Villanueva Monday afternoon. “I came in expecting a normal day but by 3 o’clock I’m in an OR getting tubes stuck through my groin and up into my arm. It was very surreal. All the test results came back negative.

“My hand got very cold and there was some pain. It just felt like my blood was rushing down my arm, a strange feeling I hadn’t ever felt before. I came inside to tell George (Poulis, the trainer). We tried to take my blood pressure in my right arm but we couldn’t get any blood pressure. They couldn’t feel a pulse either.

“Obviously it’s not normal. So we went to the ER and they did a bevy of tests. As of now I feel close to normal. My hand still doesn’t feel 100%. I’m going to be on some medication that should help a lot, starting (Tuesday).

“Doctors are encouraged, so that encourages me.”

There is still no indication what caused his condition.

“I haven’t gotten any concrete information,” said Villanueva. “I do know my circulation is lower from my elbow to my hand. We don’t know why yet. We did some more testing (Monday) but it doesn’t appear to be anything life threatening or career threatening.”

Villanueva had felt pleased with his bullpen session on Friday and his arm gave no indication anything was wrong.

“I woke up with it on Saturday and it was cooler outside so I didn’t really notice how cold it was until one of the trainers grabbed both my hands and felt a significant difference. That’s a cause for concern because they always think it’s a blood clot which is very dangerous.”

He played catch briefly on Monday and is starting a regimen of blood thinners Tuesday.

“My mom has some circulation problems so it might be hereditary but I would be jumping to conclusions because I really haven’t got anything to go on,” he said. “They’ve cleared me for work. I won’t be on my throwing program but maybe play a little catch for one or two days. After that I’ll probably just jump back into my routine.”

link (link)

nstojic
02-28-2012, 12:15 AM
This is what's great about Santos being as inexperienced as he is, with pitching... You have a good meaty fastball and a league-anointed, elite slider... but imagine adding to it! what if this pitch shows up? lights out!

The Blue Jays are not going to have to face Sergio Santos this year and that’s a good thing.

Monday a few of the Jays’ hitters got a firsthand look at Santos’ repertoire in a live batting practice session and the new closer sent Brett Lawrie and Edwin Encarnacion away shaking their heads and grumbling under their breath.

Santos has a heavy mid-90s fastball, a sharp, biting slider and this year is dusting off a changeup that he neglected last year as Chicago’s closer.

“The one thing we went back and looked at when he evolved into the closer role was that he became predominantly a fastball-slider pitcher,” said manager John Farrell. “The year before when he was in a late-inning (setup) role his changeup was a true weapon for him.

“By his own admission in conversations throughout the off-season, he felt like he got away from that pitch. It’s a darn good pitch, whether to righthanders or lefthanders, and when you’re running in the mid-90s, with a wipeout slider and you can throw another pitch into the mix that they have to defend against, it makes him less predictable.”

link (link)

nstojic
02-28-2012, 01:07 AM
Morrow, talking the talk.. acknowledging what didn't work about his game, last season...

The challenge for Brandon Morrow in 2012 is crystal clear. If he’s going to match his extraordinary stuff with extraordinary results, he has to find a way to go deeper into ball games.

Manager John Farrell has thrown down the gauntlet to all his starting pitchers to find a way to get, on average, to the seventh inning as a minimum, and more if possible. It’s a mandate Morrow embraces.

“I think only Ricky (Romero) did a good job of that last year for us,” said Morrow Monday. “It showed in innings pitched by our rotation. If you took Ricky out of that equation, we’d probably be dead last.”

Because of his big arm, expectations have probably been out of proportion to Morrow’s experience. This year will only be his third as a full-time starting pitcher. He went from 146 innings in his first year with Toronto in 2010 up to 179 innings last year. At times in the past, his workload has been carefully managed but the shackles are off.

read on... (read on...)

nstojic
02-28-2012, 01:34 AM
But all that(^^) said... I quickly looked over all of Morrow's start from last year... for no other reason than my own amusement.. Here's an interesting wrinkle to Morrow's 2011 season... make of it what you will :D

---------------IP---H---ER---HR---BB---K---ERA---WHIP---K/9---BB/9---HR/9
VS Red Sox----19--.30---26----5----8----16---12.31---2.00---7.57---3.78----2.36

VS the rest--160.1-132---68---16---61---187---3.81---1.20---10.49---3.42---0.89

So, advanced metrics aside, we're looking at 28% of the earned runs that Morrow gave up, were in a mere 19 innings against one team:speechless:

and here's my 'out on a limb' pronouncement.. Morrow will make the All-Star team in 2012! :D

Twitchy
02-28-2012, 08:21 AM
^^

He still has to face the Red Sox this year lol. You can't just ignore what happened.

Halladay
02-28-2012, 09:02 AM
latest on villanueva, on lott's twitter

He should really stop giving himself "the stranger"...

Krylian
02-28-2012, 09:36 AM
^^

He still has to face the Red Sox this year lol. You can't just ignore what happened.

But you also can't just assume that he'll always get shelled against them also.

bartron_44
02-28-2012, 10:22 AM
Gee Morrow got beat up by Baltimore in 2 starts too. Take away those 11 innings too and his ERA drops to 3.56...

Obviously if you start taking away all the bad starts his numbers will start to look pretty good. The question is can he bring his good stuff consistently...at least his velocity. When he throws 96-98 with a harder tight breaking ball, he is NASTY. When he throws 91-92 and tried to rely on movement and location...he is BRUTAL. Should be interesting to see what he can do this year.

Krylian
02-28-2012, 10:39 AM
I still think Morrow needs a changeup. What he has now, he hardly ever uses. He started throwing his curve a bit more as an off-speed pitch...but I'm still not sure it'll be as effective as having, even an average changeup that you can throw in there once in a while.

We'll see...maybe the curve is enough to keep guys off balance.

AA09-?
02-28-2012, 10:40 AM
I still think Morrow needs a changeup. What he has now, he hardly ever uses. He started throwing his curve a bit more as an off-speed pitch...but I'm still not sure it'll be as effective as having, even an average changeup that you can throw in there once in a while.

We'll see...maybe the curve is enough to keep guys off balance.

Needless to say, he's definitely the biggest wild card in our rotation right now.

nstojic
02-28-2012, 12:01 PM
He should really stop giving himself "the stranger"...

wwwwwwhat!?! (wwwwwwhat!?!)

nstojic
02-28-2012, 12:15 PM
The Jays will play a six-inning intrasquad game on Friday before opening their Grapefruit League season at home on Saturday against the Pirates. Brandon Morrow will be one of the starters on Friday.

Brett Cecil is the likely starter Saturday. He and Ricky Romero, Henderson Alvarez, Dustin McGowan and Morrow will form the five-man rotation for the start of exhibition play, with Kyle Drabek and Aaron Laffey coming in after the starter and possibly working every four days instead of five, Farrell said.

link (link)

nstojic
02-28-2012, 12:16 PM
the intangibles of bautista

John Farrell says he often talks to Jose Bautista to find out about "the pulse of the club."

Lott twitter

nstojic
02-28-2012, 12:27 PM
For Jason Frasor, there was something vaguely familiar about that slim figure unloading his gear into a nearby locker at the start of spring training.

“I thought it was Ted Lilly,” Frasor quipped.

Frasor’s confusion, however contrived, was understandable. Lilly, formerly of the Jays and currently with the Dodgers, weighs 180 pounds. The man Frasor was describing is Brett Cecil, who dropped 38 pounds over the winter — slimming to 214 from 252.

“Wow,” said catcher J.P. Arencibia, recalling his reaction to the new Brett Cecil. “He worked his butt off.”

And his gut.

read on... (read on...)

nstojic
02-28-2012, 12:30 PM
random

Read into this what you will: #BlueJays have Thames spending all his time on same field as Rasmus/Bautista. Snider often in another group.

Chisholm twitter

nstojic
02-28-2012, 12:32 PM
Davidi's twitter gallery, HERE (HERE)

some good stuff there.. so... much.. bluuuuuuue

nstojic
02-28-2012, 12:42 PM
a Chisholm piece on Snider...

Through all the hardships Travis Snider had to endure in 2011, keeping a positive state of mind might have been the biggest challenge.

Dealing with perceived failure can often be a daunting task, especially for someone who faced very few road blocks en route to the Major Leagues. How a player responds to that situation can often be the difference between making it or having a career stuck in limbo.

For Snider, the past year was a rude awakening, but rather than completely forgetting about the struggles, he'd rather use them to his advantage and learn from the previous mistakes.

read on... (read on...)
-
-
-
-
-
-

and the transcript (the transcript) the piece was done from
-
-

Dol-Fan
02-28-2012, 12:43 PM
great updates, thanks and keep it up!

nstojic
02-28-2012, 12:52 PM
a davidi piece on the camaraderie of this group.. we've all picked up on it.. but there are tangible things to foster it

One of the more recent niceties to become a part of spring training is the handshake, followed perhaps by a pat on the back, a hug, and some words of wisdom exchanged between pitchers and catchers at the end of each bullpen session.

Beyond simple protocol, the interaction is a moment of gratitude from hurlers for their receivers, who are really put through the meat grinder during the first two weeks of camp with all the daily side sessions, batting practice, fielding drills and skill-work on their plate.

It’s a small, subtle expression that carries a meaning far bigger than the size of the gesture.

read on... (read on...)

nstojic
02-28-2012, 01:00 PM
griffin twitter

After Farrell returned to Mattick. Watched Jays future in bullpen. Musgrove, Nicolino, Norris, Sanchez, Syndergaard, Wojciechowski. Awesome.

asked by a twitter follower of his, how they looked

Athletic, talented, room to get bigger and stronger and cocky.

I dub them, New Breed :cool:

nstojic
02-28-2012, 01:02 PM
sort of a foregone conclusion but i'm on a roll :D

Fidlin twitter

Morrow into a 5-day routine that will coincide with a start in game 2 v Indians on April 7. Just guessing but Ricky Ro in Game 1? Shocking

nstojic
02-28-2012, 01:12 PM
random

Jessie Carlson, sounding slightly agitated

“I know what I can do when I’m healthy. I think here with the Red Sox I’ll actually be used how I should be used,” Carlson said. "There (with Toronto), it didn’t matter if we were winning, losing. If we were up 10 or down 10, it was kind of like, ‘Let’s put Carlson in.’ That’s fine. I’m not going to complain. I’m there to pitch. I did everything I could to help the team. I just think, being that we have so many good guys in the (Boston) bullpen, I think each guy will have specific roles. I think my role will be to get left-handers out.”

link (link)

Bombtista
02-28-2012, 01:22 PM
random

Jessie Carlson, sounding slightly agitated

link (link)

I always liked Carlson. I dont think we used him incorrectly though. He was my favourite Jays pitcher on the show with his huge slider.

nstojic
02-28-2012, 01:38 PM
OT

first guys like posada, wakefield, and varitek retire and now Albert Belle (Albert Belle) has aged 30 years, since 2000... "cocaine's a helluva drug" :D

man, I'm getting old :sigh:

wagnall
02-28-2012, 04:04 PM
sort of a foregone conclusion but i'm on a roll :D

Fidlin twitter

Stay on a roll as this is great stuff your giving us. :hi5:

AA09-?
02-28-2012, 04:49 PM
OT

first guys like posada, wakefield, and varitek retire and now Albert Belle (Albert Belle) has aged 30 years, since 2000... "cocaine's a helluva drug" :D

man, I'm getting old :sigh:

Man alive! Holy ****! I'd have no clue that's Albert Belle.:speechless:

AA09-?
02-28-2012, 04:50 PM
Thank-you kindly nstojic, for all the great material.

Krylian
02-28-2012, 04:57 PM
Jesse Litsch has been shut down for a week with shoulder inflammation as per Dr. Andrews recommendation.

dtmagnet
02-28-2012, 06:33 PM
Looks like Escobar is rocking a dirty mexi-stache.

Krylian
02-28-2012, 07:25 PM
Looks like Escobar is rocking a dirty mexi-stache.

A Dirty Escobar

nstojic
02-28-2012, 10:55 PM
Jesse Litsch has been shut down for a week with shoulder inflammation as per Dr. Andrews recommendation.

misdiagnosis!!! He's not not inflamed, he's just ginger!! :pity: Dr. Andrews, you're slippin'

nstojic
02-28-2012, 10:56 PM
A Dirty Escobar

:win: shut this forum down.. :laugh2:

nstojic
02-28-2012, 11:44 PM
^^ Rauch?

nstojic
02-28-2012, 11:45 PM
How Casey got his groove back

That 2009 season may have been torture but it’s where Janssen truly learned how to pitch. The doctors and trainers warned him that it would take a full season to find himself.

“But you don’t want to hear it,” he says. “Nobody (in the game) feels sorry for you. The hitters aren’t up there thinking, this guy’s only 12 months out (from surgery), let’s take it easy on him.

“More than anything that year, I had to learn how to get somebody out with average stuff. Now the stuff is back, after having to learn how to pitch with nothing, and now I’m able to incorporate it with pitches that have some extra life.”

read on... (read on...)

nstojic
02-28-2012, 11:47 PM
If we keep our expectations slammed real low, we might just be pleasantly surprised

For anyone watching, Dustin McGowan was impressive facing live hitting for the first time Tuesday. Indeed, he impressed even himself.

“It felt like me,” said McGowan. High praise indeed, considering that McGowan once had the best combination of velocity and breaking pitches on the roster.

Now, after three full seasons recovering from two surgeries, he does look more like himself every day.

“It’s all systems go, but I understand them being a little cautious too,” said McGowan. “If that’s what it takes, I’m all for it.”

Manager John Farrell said McGowan will, as a precaution only, take a little more time building up to his first start, then fall into the staff rotation.

For the first time in four years, McGowan had a normal off-season. He started throwing mid-December and is now able to throw at max-effort.

Last season McGowan actually began throwing in November of 2010 and didn’t end until October 2011 between rehab and, eventually, getting back to the big leagues.

And this past winter?

“It was relaxing,” he said.

Now he faces a competitive training camp. When it’s over, he’ll either be in the Toronto starting rotation or pitching elsewhere. He is out of options and would need to clear waivers to be sent to the minors. Given his pedigree, that’s unlikely.

“I’m not worried about it,” he said. “You come in here and pitch and do your job, you have a chance to make the team. If you get beat out, the better man wins the job. You still gotta go out and pitch.”

“The way he threw the baseball today, it’s great to see that,” said Farrell.

“He was down in the strike zone with power and heaviness to his fastball and the action of his secondary stuff was impressive.”

Farrell did say that if McGowan is in the rotation, his innings total will be monitored.

“When you look at last year, the total number of innings was in the 80’s, I believe,” said the manager. “Even stretching it, you’re probably south of 150, but we’ll see how he goes.”

link (link)

Dol-Fan
02-29-2012, 12:48 AM
wasn't sure exactly where to put this...but here we go

• Heard a rumor the other day that the Blue Jays could have some interest in a right-handed bat such as Vladimir Guerrero's or possibly Magglio Ordonez's. So on my visit to their camp this week, I asked Alex Anthopolous, the Blue Jays' senior vice president of baseball operations and general manager, this simple question: "Is your team done?"

Anthopoulos wouldn't discuss any specific name, but he did say this:

"Right now, we don't have any talks going on with anyone. But if somebody were to fall in our lap, would we take a look at it? Yes."

Jayson Stark (http://espn.go.com/mlb/blog/_/name/stark_jayson/id/7626882/many-teams-world-series-potential)

would be nice to use EE at first against lefties, plug in said righty power bat at DH.

bomber0104
02-29-2012, 01:22 AM
wasn't sure exactly where to put this...but here we go

Jayson Stark (http://espn.go.com/mlb/blog/_/name/stark_jayson/id/7626882/many-teams-world-series-potential)

would be nice to use EE at first against lefties, plug in said righty power bat at DH.

Problem is we have no spots on the bench with guys like

Mathis
Vizquel
Davis
Thames/Snider

Dol-Fan
02-29-2012, 01:35 AM

Mathis
Vizquel
Davis
Thames/Snider

yes, and Francisco lying around as well...likely no one else comes in

DeRozan10
02-29-2012, 02:58 AM
Man im pumped to see McGowan this year

DeRozan10
02-29-2012, 02:58 AM
I think my excitment for baseball has been hyped X100000000 from seeing all the BLUE!!!!!!!

DeRozan10
02-29-2012, 03:10 AM
I dont know where else to post this but ...

Over in the mariners forum, most of them would take Jesus Montero over Brett Lawrie

There is a poll and I think its like 15-6 right now

What do you guys think about that???

nstojic
02-29-2012, 08:30 AM
Gose's blister? Got it from extra BP (Got it from extra BP)

nstojic
02-29-2012, 08:48 AM
How you build a better Thames

The 25-year-old also has some new looks on the field he's already started to unveil at spring training, including a shorter, more compact swing and a dramatically improved throwing arm.

Both are rooted in the continuing evolution of an off-season routine that once left him so buff that his teammates nicknamed him Robocop. This off-season he added weightlifting back to the yoga he started two winters ago, but eliminated exercises targeting his chest and back to increase his flexibility and allow him to make a variety of mechanical adjustments.

Thames arrived at camp with 195 pounds on his six-foot-one frame.

There's also been a refinement of his mental approach to the game,

and he's made improvements to his defensive skill-set

So, too, does defence, and that's one area where Thames clearly lags behind the more athletic Snider.

Reads off the bat and routes to balls were two key areas where Thames made gains last year, but work still remains. During drills Tuesday, for instance, he and Yunel Escobar both chased a blooper and after the shortstop had called for the ball early, Thames charged in, made a late call for the ball and was fortunate to avoid a collision.

And by his own admission his throwing was "crappy," but he has shown signs of having a much more effective arm so far.

That comes as no accident, as he spent time studying the throwing mechanics of various pitchers before deciding to try and mimic sidearming Chicago White Sox lefty Chris Sale.

"There's a picture where his hand is almost touching the back of his leg and all that whip, he has so much external rotation flexibility, I was like that's crazy, I can't even do that ," Thames says. "I tried to muscle it up and when I threw I'd feel it in my triceps instead of my shoulder. I've always been like that, I just got used to it.

"So I did more and more rotator cuff stuff and brought my arm back further and further and now the guys have been coming up to me and saying, 'Wow, your arm looks really good this year.' Adapt or die."

Read on... (Read on...)

nstojic
02-29-2012, 08:53 AM

Over in the mariners forum, most of them would take Jesus Montero over Brett Lawrie

They're gonna be inclined to say that because it's 'their' guy and they just parted with high ceiling pitcher, for him..

but I'd go Lawrie>Montero... I don't think Montero will stick as a C and you'll have a 1B/DH who swings a big bat.. that's not as 'special' as a 3B who's a more dynamic offensive threat.. hitting triples, swiping bags...

bartron_44
02-29-2012, 09:00 AM

Mathis
Vizquel
Davis
Thames/Snider

Neither one of Thames or Snider will be a bench player this season. Either they will be in the lineup playing everyday, or they will be in Vegas.

Right now I would play Davis (either in LF or DH) against left handers. I know its hard to believe, but he actually punished left handed starters last year before he got hurt. His only problem was he couldn't hit a breaking ball from a right handed pitcher to save his life. If you only put him in there against left handers and as a PR, who could really help this squad this year. He had an OBP of .367 against LHP'ers last year, and an OPS of .872 against left handed starters.

AA09-?
02-29-2012, 10:13 AM

Maybe I'm just a homer, but I'd take Lawrie. He plays a more demanding position. Also, has the ability to hit for power to all fields and can steal some bases.

It would be great to have both, but I'd take Lawrie (one over the other).

AA09-?
02-29-2012, 10:16 AM
Maybe I'm just a homer, but I'd take Lawrie. He plays a more demanding position. Also, has the ability to hit for power to all fields and can steal some bases.

It would be great to have both, but I'd take Lawrie (one over the other).

When I said this, I was going on the premise that Montero won't last behind the plate, and if they keep him there, he will be a defensive liability.

Krylian
02-29-2012, 10:23 AM
Montero is going to hit A TON! Probably more than Lawrie...but Lawire has other aspects of the game (defence and speed) that increase his value to the point where I'd take him over Montero. But make no mistake, Montero is a stud with the bat.

AA09-?
02-29-2012, 10:25 AM
Montero is going to hit A TON! Probably more than Lawrie...but Lawire has other aspects of the game (defence and speed) that increase his value to the point where I'd take him over Montero. But make no mistake, Montero is a stud with the bat.

Montero's #'s won't look as good in Seattle either.

nstojic
02-29-2012, 10:52 AM
Montero is going to hit A TON! Probably more than Lawrie...But make no mistake, Montero is a stud with the bat.

but enough about Snider.. oh, wait...

bomber0104
02-29-2012, 11:49 AM
yeah i'd take Lawrie everyday of the week..

nstojic
02-29-2012, 11:52 AM
Catcher J.P. Arencibia quietly demonstrated a burgeoning Jays' leadership at the Mattick Training Centre on Tuesday. Finishing up a 20-pitch session of live batting practice with Brandon Morrow, the Jays' starting catcher went halfway to the mound to greet his pitcher and recap the outing. Meanwhile, young catcher Carlos Perez stepped behind the plate in behind him to take over for Dustin McGowan.

But with the recovering righthander competing for a major-league starting spot, Arencibia waved Perez back to the bullpen and proceeded to catch McGowan himself. The session was dynamic for McGowan who was thrilled afterwards.

While other pitchers are on an every-second-day routine, McGowan is starting out on an every three days basis, to be cautious. He will jump into his Grapefruit League rotation for the Jays the second time through and by then will have caught up with the others by March 10 or thereabouts.

link (link)

nstojic
02-29-2012, 11:53 AM
yeah i'd take Lawrie everyday of the week..

Callis was asked where Lawrie would rank on his top specs list, had he not made it to the majors, and Callis said he'd be 4th

bomber0104
02-29-2012, 11:55 AM
Callis was asked where Lawrie would rank on his top specs list, had he not made it to the majors, and Callis said he'd be 4th

yeh sickles said he'd be third ahead of Trout.. I would say that anyone who saw what Lawrie can do last year would take him in a heartbeat

nstojic
02-29-2012, 11:59 AM
Toronto Blue Jays slugger Jose Bautista is a superstar without the excess swagger.

He hasn't forgotten what it was like a few years ago when he was a part-time player struggling to stay in the major leagues. Now he's the face of the Toronto franchise and a leader on a young team with a bright future.

read on... (read on...)

nstojic
02-29-2012, 12:02 PM
yeh sickles said he'd be third ahead of Trout.. I would say that anyone who saw what Lawrie can do last year would take him in a heartbeat

oh and montero could end up being a great slugger but perhaps being a jays fan, watching the ascension and stagnation of Snider, leaves me quick to be skeptical of a highly touted spec who is a little 'one-dimensional'.. I do find it refreshing that AA looks for the 'athletes'.. the guys who can impact the game in other ways when they're not hot with the bat... :shrug:

bomber0104
02-29-2012, 12:18 PM
Jairo Beras - OF -

Player Dionisio Soldevila of the Associated Press reports that the Rangers have signed 17-year-old Dominican outfielder Jairo Beras for $4.5 million.
The Rangers have invested $13 million in three international prospects over the past seven months, so they are clearly trying to get ahead of the new cap on international spending, which will go into effect this summer. Beras checks in at 6-foot-5 and 175 pounds and is highly regarded for his power potential.

Not really Jays news but if we want to be like the Rangers, we need to sign Soler. The Rangers are by far the most aggressive team on the international market and are always signing the top players. They signed 2 of the top 3 prospects this year I believe and signed Lenoys Martin last year. That is also how they got Profar and Perez, one top 5 prospect and another one who has been in the top 10 before

I also don't understand why a player like that wasn't signed during the international signing period