PDA

View Full Version : Konerko? Not a rumor, just curiosity

Shifty1 69
02-16-2012, 07:48 PM
I was sitting here thinking about my fantasy keeper league and what to do with Paul konerko. Got me to thinking, I remember reading recently that konerko is talking retirement after 2012/2013, and something along lines of not being excited about being on the ground floor of another rebuild.

Understanding the PR considerations from the team/player with konerko being one of the biggest bats in team history ( unless I am overvaluing him?), but it's not unprecedented to move a face of franchise player to speed up a rebuild.

He would be the perfect RH 1B/DH for this team. With Lind and EE in the fold he can preserve by DHing, EE and Lind platooning provided Lind isn't moved out. There is no long term commitment, he has been one of the best hitters in all of baseball the past few years and is not going to make a difference in his time left to put the chisox in contention again.

Williams and AA obviously aren't reluctant to deal with each other.

No, there is no basis for this suggestion, just thought it would be an interesting discussion to kill time till spring training.

Thoughts?

bomber0104
02-16-2012, 07:52 PM
It has been discussed before and most people here like the idea.. he is a major improvement over Lind.

Considering the reports that AA and Williams discussed a bunch of players at the time of the Santos trade, it probable that Konerko was one the names that was brought up

Krylian
I'm pretty sure Konerko is one of the 5 or 6 White Sox that AA was mulling over this off-season. I'm guessing Williams is just asking more than what AA is willing to give up.

DeRozan10
I'd love Konerko.

Would be a definite upgrade over EE as the DH/ backup 1B and would be a better cleanup hitter than Lind. Would also alow Lind to hit #5 which I think would be much better for him.

I can almost all but guarantee you that AA has discussed him with Williams.

DeRozan10
02-16-2012, 07:54 PM
Im actually surprised Konerko hasnt been moved yet

Matt-the-great
02-16-2012, 08:14 PM
Konerko has been Beast Mode the past 2 seasons, but he is due for some serious regression, he is fairly old, and his value has never been higher so we would have to surrender a fair bit, he is also a righty bat; and we need some left-handed power.

(there are my 5 brief reasons why I don't like the idea)

oh, and also we need contention in 2013 and beyond, this ain't our year

AA09-?
02-16-2012, 09:02 PM
Konerko has been Beast Mode the past 2 seasons, but he is due for some serious regression, he is fairly old, and his value has never been higher so we would have to surrender a fair bit, he is also a righty bat; and we need some left-handed power.

Wags pointed out his L/R splits a couple of months back. Take a look they're impressive.

North Yorker
02-16-2012, 09:14 PM
Doesnt he have like 10/5 rights or something like that?

Shifty1 69
02-16-2012, 09:59 PM

So he's been one of the best hitters in the major leagues, he's automatically going to regress to a point he doesn't make this team significantly better for the next few years?
Oh and mail it in for the next year? Don't add a .300/30/100 hitter cause hes a RH hitter. For the reasons you named he would not command a kings ransom.

Shifty1 69
02-16-2012, 10:01 PM
It has been discussed before and most people here like the idea.. he is a major improvement over Lind.

Considering the reports that AA and Williams discussed a bunch of players at the time of the Santos trade, it probable that Konerko was one the names that was brought up

Sorry, hadn't seen it discussed but haven't been frequenting the board as much lately.

Regardless, myself and my keeper team would love for him to come to Toronto.

Shifty1 69
02-16-2012, 10:03 PM
Doesnt he have like 10/5 rights or something like that?

Most likely, my idea was predicated on him wanting to go somewhere more competitive. For all we know he would never play in Toronto?

scottythegreat1
02-16-2012, 10:29 PM
I like the guy, but we have to find out if he wants to come here. I know he is disgruntled with the situation in Chicago, but whether he would come over to a team like ours is beyond our ability to answer. He does have a full no trade clause through 10/5 rights. It sounds like he is going to retire as a White Stocking

BlueJayFanDan
02-17-2012, 03:30 AM
I would only take Konerko if we had a legit 1st base prospect 2-3 years away. Konerko is 35, going to be 36 this year. Not sure he has a ton left in the tank but I think you can get a good 3 years out of him.

GNick
02-17-2012, 03:51 AM
I was sitting here thinking about my fantasy keeper league and what to do with Paul konerko. Got me to thinking, I remember reading recently that konerko is talking retirement after 2012/2013, and something along lines of not being excited about being on the ground floor of another rebuild.

Understanding the PR considerations from the team/player with konerko being one of the biggest bats in team history ( unless I am overvaluing him?), but it's not unprecedented to move a face of franchise player to speed up a rebuild.

He would be the perfect RH 1B/DH for this team. With Lind and EE in the fold he can preserve by DHing, EE and Lind platooning provided Lind isn't moved out. There is no long term commitment, he has been one of the best hitters in all of baseball the past few years and is not going to make a difference in his time left to put the chisox in contention again.

Williams and AA obviously aren't reluctant to deal with each other.

No, there is no basis for this suggestion, just thought it would be an interesting discussion to kill time till spring training.

Thoughts?

I can give ya about 25 million reasons why Konerko won't be a Jay

wamco
02-17-2012, 08:42 AM
its the fans fault remember.

Anyhow, i was thinking with the glut of OF that are here and ones that surely are going to get a chance to prove themselves over full seasons something has to give. I could see Thames, Snider or Bautista at 1b in a few years

bartron_44
02-17-2012, 09:13 AM
I have thought about this recently too.

People around the Jays organization seem to still have faith in Lind's bat though. They say the problems last year were all because of a nagging back injury. If this is true, then if he trains harder this year maybe he will be able to hold up for much more of the season. If we let EE play 1B once or twice a week I think that would really help his transition. (He can simply DH against a right hander sometimes, or sit against a tough left hander).

He looked pretty darn good again for the 1st 73 games last year. Our lineup is pretty scary if he does return to his first half form from 2010 and Lawrie brings anything close to what he brought last year. That COULD be a heart of the lineup that goes R/L/R and all have an OPS over .900 :drool:.

Then throw in:

EE who posted an OPS of .887 in the second half last year,
Rasmus who posted an OPS over .850 in 2010,
Johnson who has posted an OPS over .860 in 2010
D'Arnaud and Gose simmering in AAA,
Several candidates to "break out" in the OF in Snider,Thames and Gose,
A rotation with several "break out" candidates,
and a bullpen that looks really, really good on paper.....

and god I can't wait for opening day!!!