PDA

View Full Version : Report: Miami Heat Hope To Sign Chris Kaman Next Month

JordansBulls
02-16-2012, 12:09 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/Miami-Heat-Chris-Kaman-Minnesota-Timberwolves-Pau-Gasol-Los-Angeles-Lakers-trade-021512

The Miami Heat need a center and Chris Kaman sure would fit the bill.

Heat officials, including president Pat Riley, have been calling people who know Kaman to ask about him, a source told FOXSports.com on Wednesday.

The thinking is the Heat’s best effort to get a center would be to sign Kaman — if his contract is bought out by New Orleans after the March 15 trade deadline.

The Hornets recently sent Kaman away from the team for seven games in an effort to trade him. When that was unsuccessful, he was brought back.

Now, apparently, the belief is that the 7-foot Kaman, who is making $14 million in the final year of his contract, could be bought out if the Hornets end up failing to get a deal they want for him. Kaman, acquired from the Los Angeles Clippers last December in the trade for Chris Paul, has played in three of the Hornets’ past four games. He totaled 27 points and 13 rebounds Monday in an 86-80 win over Utah

But Kaman is said to be just what the Heat, who start undersized Joel Anthony at center, need. The Heat cannot talk directly with Kaman because that would constitute tampering

“If they could get him, that would solidify the championship,’’ said the source who spoke about Miami’s interest in Kaman. The source believes there is no realistic chance the Heat could trade for Kaman by March 15 because they don’t have the right pieces.

Hester23Jordan
02-16-2012, 12:16 PM
Would be a scary signing but I don't think the Hornets will just buy him out. They have been beat up at the 4 and 5 and he has been playing very well lately. I think they can still get a trade for him too.

nolafan33
02-16-2012, 12:16 PM
It's like the Hornets are thought of as a feeder team for contenders lol

The Hornets aren't buying Kaman out unless it's at a steep discount, which would in return mean Kaman leaving millions of dollars on the table, which is just as unlikely.

And the other aspect of this, the Hornets won't buy him out because he is only one of our healthy bigs.

Raps18-19 Champ
02-16-2012, 12:22 PM
It's like the Hornets are thought of as a feeder team for contenders lol

The Hornets aren't buying Kaman out unless it's at a steep discount, which would in return mean Kaman leaving millions of dollars on the table, which is just as unlikely.

And the other aspect of this, the Hornets won't buy him out because he is only one of our healthy bigs.

Yea but it's a lost season anyways.

If they want to save a couple million, it's possible they buy him out assuming they don't trade him.

mjt20mik
02-16-2012, 12:23 PM
are they just collecting people from the 03 draft? lol

Hester23Jordan
02-16-2012, 12:27 PM
I think the Hornets should send Kaman and Henry to the Bucks for Jackson, Udrih, Sanders, and a 2nd

gotoHcarolina52
02-16-2012, 12:27 PM
are they just collecting people from the 03 draft? lol

Funny you mention that. Back in '03, Riley had decided to draft Kaman over Wade but was talked out of it at the last minute by some of his assistants.

The South Florida Sun-Sentinel (Ira Winderman) reports: Pat Riley, you see, was leaning toward selecting Central Michigan center Chris Kaman with the No. 5 pick that night. “I looked at him as a little bigger Dave Cowens. And I thought he would develop into a real good interior scorer, rebounder, which he has,” Riley said in a reflective moment recently. “That particular draft, we definitely were in need of a post-up presence, of an inside presence.” While Riley was looking out for a power rotation rocked by the kidney illness of center Alonzo Mourning, his staff was looking out for its leader. The Riley cabinet, which included General Manager Randy Pfund, wanted Wade. Revisionist history offers the tale of Riley, on a treadmill in Milwaukee months earlier, being smitten by the performance of Marquette’s Wade during the NCAA Tournament. But at the 11th hour, there still was need for convincing.

Read more: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=1343#ixzz1mYyIakrj

The goods
02-16-2012, 12:29 PM
They'll by him out I hope I'm wrong but I feel like they will for some reason.

SportsFanatic10
02-16-2012, 12:33 PM
i doubt it happens, but that would be awesome. miami really wouldn't have any holes left on the roster.

daleja424
02-16-2012, 12:37 PM
Of course they will tr to buy him out at a discount. The league is paying for the team. If they can save a couple million bucks by cutting him you better damn well believe they will.

sep11ie
02-16-2012, 12:39 PM
More ways of the NBA helping out the rich.

justjames
02-16-2012, 12:43 PM
More proof that Stern shouldn't have stopped the Lakers trade. Best available trade? Ha

Slug3
02-16-2012, 12:50 PM
So Miami just wants any center out there. Lol

heyman321
02-16-2012, 12:51 PM
More proof that Stern shouldn't have stopped the Lakers trade. Best available trade? Ha

Yeah cause we all know how Lamar Odom and Scola have been absolutely killing it lately.

Ezio
02-16-2012, 12:53 PM
For Basketball Reasons he should send Kaman to the Pistons

UPRock
02-16-2012, 12:54 PM

:facepalm: They got good young players and a lottery pick, something the Lakers couldn't give.

Carey
02-16-2012, 12:58 PM
I think the Hornets will get somehting at the deadline for him, might not be much but something they can move forward with

theducksmuggler
02-16-2012, 01:02 PM
If he does end up getting bought out and going to the Heat I will have zero respect for David Stern and the NBA as whole, you veto a perfectly fair trade for a nonsense trade and then buy out a key part of that trade and put him on the most talented team in the league...come on!

Hellcrooner
02-16-2012, 01:04 PM
mmmm i hope Stern Vader does not buy him out or at least BANS him to able to sign for say the top 4 seeds in each conference.

Because if you are vetoing a trade on basketball reasons.......... theres no sense if giving a free pass to a top 3 becoming even better.

Hellcrooner
02-16-2012, 01:06 PM
:facepalm: They got good young players and a lottery pick, something the Lakers couldn't give.

they got a pick(wolves), lottery? remains to be seen, and if they manage to get Pau to go along with RUbio and Love and making it soon enough so they record is not so bad by then then it will NOT be lottery.

justjames
02-16-2012, 01:06 PM
Yeah cause we all know how Lamar Odom and Scola have been absolutely killing it lately.

Shhh...:mad:

A depressed Odom, Scola and Kevin Martin would be doing much better than the current Hornets roster. They're almost Bobcats bad.

UPRock
02-16-2012, 01:20 PM
they got a pick(wolves), lottery? remains to be seen, and if they manage to get Pau to go along with RUbio and Love and making it soon enough so they record is not so bad by then then it will NOT be lottery.

Still better than adding a $hitload of cap for old players.

lvlheaded
02-16-2012, 01:22 PM
If Stern really feels that he was getting the Hornets the best deal by sending CP3 to the Clippers, he can't buy out Kaman and allow him to go to Miami. They will either trade him or keep him for the rest of the season. Some team has tobe willing to trade something for Kaman, even if it is a late pick or something.

utl768
02-16-2012, 01:24 PM
it wont happen because stern wont let them buy out kaman to save face

LAKobeBryant
02-16-2012, 01:30 PM
if sterns let this happen and nba owner don't veto.................no comment.

Gritz
02-16-2012, 01:37 PM

Better than getting a team full of people that don't play

Shlumpledink
02-16-2012, 01:40 PM
Why did they get kaman then?

Gritz
02-16-2012, 01:41 PM

Shut the hell up, you just want him bought out. That trade ultimately ended in Paul for the MIN 1st

utl768
02-16-2012, 01:45 PM
eric gordon is better then anything the lakers or rockets were giving up to new orleans

but because he got hurt it doesnt count i guess?

stern in his crystal ball knew that and thats why he allowed the deal

Kobe4Life
02-16-2012, 01:57 PM
He won't be bought out but Miami can keep thinking that

mRc08
02-16-2012, 01:59 PM
clearly eddy curry hasn't been the answer lol

but seriously, this would suck for the bulls

Heater4life
02-16-2012, 02:09 PM
I dont think it happens but obviously would love if it did.

Big Zo
02-16-2012, 02:16 PM
clearly eddy curry hasn't been the answer lol

but seriously, this would suck for the bulls

Like they stand a chance anyway. :p

mRc08
02-16-2012, 02:17 PM
Like they stand a chance anyway. :p

heat should just get zo outa retirement for one last year. he's still 7 ft last time i checked right? :D

Chronz
02-16-2012, 02:20 PM
heat should just get zo outa retirement for one last year. he's still 7 ft last time i checked right? :D

Hes 6"10

mRc08
02-16-2012, 02:23 PM
word

Heater4life
02-16-2012, 02:27 PM
If the Heat were to land Kaman all they would need is to sign Kirk Hinrich in the off season to complete the class of 03 starting lineup

shep33
02-16-2012, 02:27 PM
Stern wants Dwight for the Walking Dead, I mean Chris Kaman

Heater4life
02-16-2012, 02:30 PM
Stern wants Dwight for the Walking Dead, I mean Chris Kaman

Seriously! look at his espn profile picture.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/1982/chris-kaman

He looks like a crack whore.

Raps18-19 Champ
02-16-2012, 02:31 PM

Because overpaid aging veterans is more attractive than cap space.

justinnum1
02-16-2012, 02:37 PM
not happening, stern will not gift wrap him to miami

nolafan33
02-16-2012, 05:08 PM
Stern won't even own the Hornets by the time the trade deadline passes.

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-16-2012, 05:22 PM
Knicks need an experienced big to backup Chandler and Amare, and Kaman would fit that bill. If Knicks get Kaman, I actually pick the NY Knicks to come out of the East and make the NBA Finals.

Big man front court of Amare/Chandler/Kaman > Bosh/Anthony/Haslem/Pitmann or Noah/Boozer/Asik

MichaelJordan23
02-16-2012, 05:37 PM
If they heat somehow acquire Kaman they will be virtually unstoppable if Kaman can live up to his potential and fit the role of defender/rebounder, won't need much scoring from him

metsbulls1025
02-16-2012, 05:38 PM
Stern will veto trades. but he will practically give Kaman to the Heat. Watch and see. The heat will get this guy for nothing.

kenzo400
02-16-2012, 06:05 PM
Why would Kaman want to sign with the Heat? He is only 30 years old and needs a new contract. Playing for the Heat would not impress anyone, seeing as how he could average 5 points a game at most. He cannot pad his stats on a team like the Heat. If he was 35-36 years old it makes sense, but not when you are only a 30 year old Center in a league where teams are willing to pay a lot for decent Centers.

TubbyBucket
02-16-2012, 06:05 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Kaman is terrible? He was decent when Elton Brand had that one monster year, but he's been pretty awful since then. Nothing more than a black hole on offense, and pretty terrible on defense as well.

Playing for the Heat would not impress anyone, seeing as how he could average 5 points a game at most

He'll shoot a ton of that pathetic jumper of his, even with all the stars on that team. Incredibly selfish player.

MichaelJordan23
02-16-2012, 06:07 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Kaman is terrible? He was decent when Elton Brand had that one monster year, but he's been pretty awful since then. Nothing more than a black hole on offense, and pretty terrible on defense as well.

I wouldn't say terrible but he is incredibly overrated but I mean think about it .. Kaman >>>>>>>>>> Joel Anthony/Eddy Curry .. it really is a huge upgrade all he needs to do is become a low post defensive presence that can rebound.

kenzo400
02-16-2012, 06:08 PM
I wouldn't say terrible but he is incredibly overrated but I mean think about it .. Kaman >>>>>>>>>> Joel Anthony/Eddy Curry .. it really is a huge upgrade all he needs to do is become a low post defensive presence that can rebound.

But why would he take that role when he is more than a capable scorer? Even right now he is averaging 12.7 points in 24 minutes a game.

kenzo400
02-16-2012, 06:10 PM

He'll shoot a ton of that pathetic jumper of his, even with all the stars on that team. Incredibly selfish player.

Look at his career stats he is actually a pretty decent scorer.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
02-16-2012, 06:12 PM
So Miami just wants any center out there. Lol

Kaman has been putting up some solid numbers this season, when he's been healthy.

TubbyBucket
02-16-2012, 06:13 PM
Look at his career stats he is actually a pretty decent scorer.

Yeah, but that TS percentage... Shiver. He does have some talent. I just don't think he has much of a work ethic.

I forgot about those two:D

kenzo400
02-16-2012, 06:51 PM
Yeah, but that TS percentage... Shiver. He does have some talent. I just don't think he has much of a work ethic.

He has shot a pretty decent percentage throughout his career. This year he is only shooting 42.7% from the field but he also doesn't have a good point guard to set him up. I think it's a lot harder for centers on bad teams to score without a good point guard setting them up .

JeffG20
02-16-2012, 06:56 PM
its amazing how little the people at fox sports and ESPN know about teams not names Miami or LA

LA_Raiders
02-16-2012, 07:00 PM
Look for Stern giving the Head some help...

justinnum1
02-16-2012, 07:03 PM
Stern won't even own the Hornets by the time the trade deadline passes.

oh?, they will be sold within the next month? i dont think so.

justinnum1
02-16-2012, 07:04 PM
Stern will veto trades. but he will practically give Kaman to the Heat. Watch and see. The heat will get this guy for nothing.

I hope your right, but your probably wrong.

beasted86
02-16-2012, 07:06 PM
The Heat need an extra Center in the worst way. If you think Joel Anthony is bad, you haven't seen his backups. If he somehow gets injured, we are screwed.

I think we have no realistic shot at Kaman, but we need somebody.

SteBO
02-16-2012, 07:21 PM
Would be great, but it isn't going to happen. I don't trust that Stern would just hand Kaman to us anyhow. Do we necessarily need Kaman? No. But as beasted86 said above me, we need somebody.

MichaelJordan23
02-16-2012, 07:58 PM

;)

Chronz
02-16-2012, 07:59 PM
He has shot a pretty decent percentage throughout his career. This year he is only shooting 42.7% from the field but he also doesn't have a good point guard to set him up. I think it's a lot harder for centers on bad teams to score without a good point guard setting them up .

He has never been an efficient player, no more excuses I say

Marlin234
02-16-2012, 08:01 PM
He won't be bought out but Miami can keep thinking that

You mad? Lmaoo

Cfrey
02-16-2012, 08:05 PM
he'll be bought out

KingPosey
02-16-2012, 08:13 PM

Also Kevin Martin. Those 3 would make a pretty solid core. Not champions, but a **** ton better than an injured Gordon, and nothing else.