PDA

View Full Version : Shaq looking to own a NBA team & move them to New Jersey

Fresno
02-16-2012, 03:49 AM
Just said it on NBA TV.

Hes trying to become an owner and bring a team to Newark, NJ to replace the Nets moving to Brooklyn.

:clap::clap::clap:

nickdymez
02-16-2012, 03:57 AM
lmao

bholly
02-16-2012, 03:57 AM
I think he's said it before, too. Needs to find a majority owner first, although maybe that wouldn't be that hard.
He'd also need a team to move - and pretty much any team that moves we're going to just have a another thread a few years later where we're celebrating some other player trying to get a team moved there as a replacement.

jmoney85
02-16-2012, 04:01 AM
would be the dumbest thing in history of basketball....every net fan from nj will continue to root for the nets in brooklyn

idrinkpepsi
02-16-2012, 08:44 AM
I think Shaq would make an interesting owner, I'd like to see him have a front office job first though to see how he does there.

oak2455
02-16-2012, 08:52 AM
would be the dumbest thing in history of basketball....every net fan from nj will continue to root for the nets in brooklyn

Your right attendance now for Nets games is pretty bad...and has been for a while

C-Wick925
02-16-2012, 09:29 AM
I think Shaq would make an interesting owner, I'd like to see him have a front office job first though to see how he does there.

Shaq would make a terrible owner IMHO.. Jordans prolly 20x as smart and still sux at it.. Cant see shaq doing well as an owner

idrinkpepsi
02-16-2012, 09:59 AM
Shaq would make a terrible owner IMHO.. Jordans prolly 20x as smart and still sux at it.. Cant see shaq doing well as an ownerInteresting doesn't necessarily mean good, I mean he obviously has some basketball IQ. It would just be interesting to see, I think.. regardless of him being good or bad.

Greet
02-16-2012, 10:06 AM
I would personally still be a Nets fan. But I would also root for this team.

jmoney85
02-16-2012, 01:53 PM
Your right attendance now for Nets games is pretty bad...and has been for a while

its mainly bad because the team is bad....when we were really good 6-11 years ago I remember the building being basically full every game I went too

benzni
02-16-2012, 01:59 PM
So do I root for the team that might have Dwight/Deron and all the Nets history I grew up watching or do I watch a NJ team...... Just don't even more them to NJ what the hell is the point with moving the nets if your just going to get another team. Move them somewhere more deserving. New Hampshire, Wyoming, Montana all need sports teams lol

Hellcrooner
02-16-2012, 02:21 PM

yeah well, knowing the team is leaving for several years know is not helping at all ....

NoahH
02-16-2012, 02:27 PM
So Brooklyn is what.. 45 minutes from Newark? A new NJ team would have even more trouble filling up a stadium than the current Nets do especially with the Brooklyn Nets in the vicinity.

nstojic
02-16-2012, 02:30 PM
BrEAKING NeWS! Sources confirming that Shaq is an idiot

MagicHero3
02-16-2012, 03:00 PM
shaqs gonna need alot more mula and co owners, especially if he wants to start a team up in Jersey. seriously, if you own a team, theres 99% chance going to lose money every year.

Hellcrooner
02-16-2012, 04:05 PM
Each day more and more i realize that Nba should get SOME ( not all) ideas from the Old World .

Teams relocating only leads do disenchanted fanbases , no identification with teams and thus backing of teh arena when the team is losing.

No relegation , no promotion means fans only have an incentive if the team can win .

The solution is simple

have several VERTICAL DIVISIONS, in order that EVERY city no matter how big or small has an Nba team.

a first division with 20 teams ( only 8 make playoffs bottom two get relegated)
a Second Division with 20 teams ( 8 make playoffs the two finalists promote to 1st division , bottom 4 gets relegation)
a third division with 4 gropus of 20 teams ( top 4 of each group play against the others and 4 of them win promotion, 4 teams of each group get relegated).
a fourht division with say 16 groups and same modus operandi

a fifth with 32 groups.
a sight with 64 gropus.

This way every city has a team, every city can have a budget ( with a cap max limit) acording to what their market posibility are, teams never move, locals get pride into their team and support them always , being relegated or promoted gives incentives to the fans etc etc.

As a side effect, h.s players should only be eligible to ncca teams on their STATE, then the DRAFT should be held State by State in order to have Local product filling the teams in origin making it likelier for players to be attached emotionally to the team on their area and makling it less likely for them to walk away.

PrettyBoyJ
02-16-2012, 04:14 PM
Prob should try and buy the hornets and Low ball the league for a cheap price

fadedmario
02-16-2012, 04:38 PM
I think St. Louis would be a good basketball city.

thekmp211
02-16-2012, 04:43 PM

they couldn't fill up during the kidd years. just a bad location on top of everything else.

seattle deserves a team again. i'd stick a second team in chicago before going back to jersey. definitely better locations for a new franchise, although i suppose not with a ready-made arena waiting for a franchise to play in it.

UPRock
02-16-2012, 04:47 PM
LOL Shaq? I bet he's joking.

ManningToTyree
02-16-2012, 04:48 PM
This is a horrible idea. Nobody would support this team

netsgiantsyanks
02-16-2012, 04:49 PM
i'm still going to be a nets fan, so yeah, sorry shaq.

mamba24
02-16-2012, 04:56 PM
Each day more and more i realize that Nba should get SOME ( not all) ideas from the Old World .

Teams relocating only leads do disenchanted fanbases , no identification with teams and thus backing of teh arena when the team is losing.

No relegation , no promotion means fans only have an incentive if the team can win .

The solution is simple

have several VERTICAL DIVISIONS, in order that EVERY city no matter how big or small has an Nba team.

a Second Division with 20 teams ( 8 make playoffs the two finalists promote to 1st division , bottom 4 gets relegation)
a third division with 4 gropus of 20 teams ( top 4 of each group play against the others and 4 of them win promotion, 4 teams of each group get relegated).

a fifth with 32 groups.
a sight with 64 gropus.

This way every city has a team, every city can have a budget ( with a cap max limit) acording to what their market posibility are, teams never move, locals get pride into their team and support them always , being relegated or promoted gives incentives to the fans etc etc.

As a side effect, h.s players should only be eligible to ncca teams on their STATE, then the DRAFT should be held State by State in order to have Local product filling the teams in origin making it likelier for players to be attached emotionally to the team on their area and makling it less likely for them to walk away.

This is one of the most idiotic things ive ever read... for example... youre gonna tell a kid from texas who has always dreamed of playing for coach k that he can only pick a school in texas? i always tolerate your posts, but this is too much. way too complicated and there is no way this could or would ever happen.

BRICKCITYPIMP12
02-16-2012, 08:39 PM
hahaha this guy!!!

he had said b4 he wanted 2 be a net.. then retire with them...THEN be part owner of the nets...obviously nets r moving so this for him is the next best thing..haha..ill always be a nets fan.... but wouldent mind a another team down in BRICKCITY :)

bmd1101
02-16-2012, 08:51 PM

The solution is simple

a fifth with 32 groups.
a sight with 64 gropus.

You can't tell people were they can and cant go to school in the US. In case you didn't know, people do go to school for educations, these educations vary WIDELY from state to state in what they offer and the quality and recognition of their programs. For example if I was from Oregon and looking for a good Software Eng school, I sure as **** wouldn't want to go to any Oregon school. Why? Their crap compared to whats just north or south of Oregon.

smith&wesson
02-16-2012, 09:07 PM
is shaq from jersey ? i dont see the connection.

Fnom11
02-16-2012, 09:08 PM
Isn't Shaq broke?

LA_Raiders
02-16-2012, 10:57 PM
BrEAKING NeWS! Sources confirming that Shaq is an idiot

lol

netsgiantsyanks
02-16-2012, 10:59 PM
is shaq from jersey ? i dont see the connection.

yeah, he is. still a bad decision regardless.

Hellcrooner
02-16-2012, 11:10 PM
You can't tell people were they can and cant go to school in the US. In case you didn't know, people do go to school for educations, these educations vary WIDELY from state to state in what they offer and the quality and recognition of their programs. For example if I was from Oregon and looking for a good Software Eng school, I sure as **** wouldn't want to go to any Oregon school. Why? Their crap compared to whats just north or south of Oregon.

then dont play basketball.

is the same basic rule that you people apply to justify draft, restricted free agency and all the rest of the slavery crap in the nba cba.

Gritz
02-16-2012, 11:34 PM
Shaq... Arrest yourself

OC Knights #11
02-16-2012, 11:47 PM
buy a team and bring them to Milwaukee

Ray
02-17-2012, 12:09 AM
i think baltimore could support a team, they would need a stadium first though, and i doubt anyone would want to live there lol

Vincent
02-17-2012, 01:07 AM
If it gets him off the set of NBA on TNT I'm all for it

waveycrockett
02-17-2012, 01:30 AM
Shaq is a ******** if he really wanted to big up his homestate he should of came play for the Nets in his prime. He'd be a dead beat owner

utl768
02-17-2012, 01:45 AM
unless you have lived there you wont understand but ny nj is basically the same thing unless you live in like cherry hill

the nets arent leaving more like just relocating 45 mins away

lkingratedr
02-17-2012, 01:47 AM
I hear expansion happening ... Jersey Nevada Seattle now we need another east coast team and we have it

J4KOP99
02-17-2012, 02:29 AM
I really didn't realize just how dumb Shaq is until he started working for TNT. It's almost sad to listen to him speak. There is absolutely no way Stern would let him own a team. He has absolutely no business background and also has a horrible plan... clearly a franchise would not work in NJ.

utl768
02-17-2012, 02:41 AM
I really didn't realize just how dumb Shaq is until he started working for TNT. It's almost sad to listen to him speak. There is absolutely no way Stern would let him own a team. He has absolutely no business background and also has a horrible plan... clearly a franchise would not work in NJ.

not that im defending shaq but its not like jordan had much of a business background either

Pistol_Pete
02-17-2012, 02:48 AM
This would be a terrible idea. There's no way that another NJ team could compete in the NY market with the Knicks and Nets. Like someone else said, the Nets are only move about 45 minutes away, they'll still be on all the local channels, and will still be easily accessible...only now, they're have a brand new arena and celebrities at the games (even if they don't get Dwight and Deron leaves).

Doesn't matter though, this is just Shaw begin Shaq and saying things he'd simply like to do, like be an astronaut or a NAVY SEAL.

mgsports
02-18-2012, 07:58 PM
He can own Team Orlando or Houston at Skills thing because they both don't have a WNBA team anymore

sunsfan88
02-18-2012, 08:02 PM
I can see him buying the Hornets.

metsfanssince05
02-18-2012, 08:07 PM
Then whats the point of going to brooklyn? The point of moving the brooklyn is so they get a larger fan base.. Bringing another team in NJ wont help out... Simply dumb..

arkanian215
02-18-2012, 08:11 PM
It's gonna be a money bleeder unless they have a batch of superstars.

Fresno
02-19-2012, 02:39 AM

Does Michael Jordan?

These 2 guys turned their NBA career into probably over $100 Million as far as endorsements and other business ventures.

Shaq mentioned Magic Johnson wanting to own a NBA team, and it'd be interesting if those 2 got together as part of an ownership group with a few other people to purchase a NBA team.

Fresno
02-19-2012, 02:41 AM
i think baltimore could support a team, they would need a stadium first though, and i doubt anyone would want to live there lol

Baltimore can support a NBA team.

They have the First Mariner Arena for now, although there have been a lot of talk of building a new arena and a NBA franchise might be able to get that done.

Baltimore is an underrated city as far as a "nightlife", I can see plenty of guys wanting to play & live there. Dont confuse the Orioles and their terrible ownership with Baltimore not being a good destination.

kozelkid
02-19-2012, 02:43 AM
And yall thought MJ is bad owner. You've seen nothing yet.

J4KOP99
02-19-2012, 02:49 AM
Does Michael Jordan?

These 2 guys turned their NBA career into probably over $100 Million as far as endorsements and other business ventures.

Shaq mentioned Magic Johnson wanting to own a NBA team, and it'd be interesting if those 2 got together as part of an ownership group with a few other people to purchase a NBA team.

Ok, first off, I never mentioned Michael Jordan.

--There is no reason MJ should own a franchise either. He clearly has no idea what the **** he is doing. He has proven that a thousand times.

Having said that... he's still Michael Jordan. It's good for Stern and the NBA to have MJ in the league.

It's not the same for Shaq. Yes he is one of the all-time greats but he's not Michael Jordan. Not even close. And to even say that Shaq and MJ are on the same level in terms of $$ earned throughout their career is ridiculous. Jordan has his own clothing/shoe company. He has earned 4 or 5 times as much as Shaq.

--What you are saying is if Shaq teamed up with some other guys to help buy a franchise. That is different than what Michael did. Jordan is the majority owner of the Bobcats. I don't think Shaq can even afford that.

--Bottom line. Shaq is an idiot. There is no way Stern would ever risk selling Shaq an NBA franchise.

Wade>You
02-19-2012, 10:42 AM
The NBA needs more teams. Like, 8 more teams. With so many prospective buyers out there and all this money being thrown around (don't believe the lies of the owners that lead to the lockout), it makes sense. And with a commissioner who only cares about expanding instead of the health of his league, I can see it happening.

thekmp211
02-19-2012, 12:25 PM
then dont play basketball.

is the same basic rule that you people apply to justify draft, restricted free agency and all the rest of the slavery crap in the nba cba.

last i checked they were signed contracts for millions and millions of dollars...