PDA

View Full Version : Soler Works out for Jays

bomber0104
02-15-2012, 03:28 PM
Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com reports that Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos and members of his front office watched Cuban outfielder Jorge Soler work out Wednesday morning in the Dominican Republic.

The guy might be better than Caespedes.. definitely interesting. Don't want to get my hopes up like we did with Chapman

Towelie
02-15-2012, 03:29 PM
Yea, he's been linked with everyone as of late. Who knows where he's gonna end up. Look at Caespedes, Oakland came out of no where.

North Yorker
02-15-2012, 03:35 PM
I thought the Cubs signed him? Would be awesome if we got him.

We could have 3 legit top 50 OF specs lol.

StayOnBoard
02-15-2012, 04:11 PM
I thought the Cubs signed him? Would be awesome if we got him.

We could have 3 legit top 50 OF specs lol.

No one can sign him yet until he's eligible.

Kelly Gruber
02-15-2012, 04:17 PM
I'll go ahead and assume that he signs somewhere else and we'll read that the Jays were "in the mix" for a few weeks after...

Krylian
02-15-2012, 04:32 PM
I'll go ahead and assume that he signs somewhere else and we'll read that the Jays were "in the mix" for a few weeks after...

But were too cheap.

wamco
02-15-2012, 04:37 PM
I'm not sure what would lead one to think the jays were going to be big players for him.

Krylian
02-15-2012, 05:25 PM
I'm not sure what would lead one to think the jays were going to be big players for him.

They were #2 for Chapman and won Hechavarria. They've shown they can be fairly aggressive in the Cuban market.

But I know what you mean...it's much easier to just be negative and write everything off right away. That way, if they lose out you can say 'I told you so'.

Well done.

phillipmike
02-15-2012, 05:32 PM

Why not they have been one of the biggest international spenders in the league?

Last year they signed the 4th, 5th, 21st and 33rd of the best IFA last year.

They also spent a good amount of money on Adonys Cardona and Adeiny Hechavarria.

If the price is worth it for Soler and the Jays see the upside in him you better believe they were going to be in on him. They are always players for young players with high ceilings - see Chapman they were in it to the bitter end willing to spend 20 million plus but the Reds made a mega bid to get him. If the market is reasonable or somewhat fair Soler has a good chances to be a Jay.

Great article on the Jays international spending.

http://mopupduty.com/the-blue-jays-and-international-free-agents-1218/

BlueJayFanDan
02-15-2012, 05:39 PM
This guy is supposed to be better than Cespedes. But he will end up with the Cubs. I think its almost set in stone.

Krylian
02-15-2012, 05:44 PM
This guy is supposed to be better than Cespedes. But he will end up with the Cubs. I think its almost set in stone.

The same stone that had Darvish to Toronto?

wamco
02-15-2012, 05:51 PM
I was referring specifically to this offseason.

Seriously though, citing the signings of the 4th, 5th, 21st and 33rd of the best IFA last year though as throwing serious money towards the upper eschelon IFA is disengenous.

They weren't in on Cespedes for example, so why would we expect they'd be the team that signs Soler? Another IFA OF.

I'm not even necessarily advocating going after him with the 2 OF pegs in place in CF and RF and another year to figure out if Snider and Thames are going to stick as mlb players and with 2 highly touted OF prospects set to appear in 2012 and 2013. So I wasn't being negative. OF didn't seem to interest them this offseason.

And I'm done giving credit for being #2 in landing a free agent.

2009mvp
02-15-2012, 05:55 PM
Yeah the thing is, the Cubs having an agreement with Solis already isn't just forbidden by Major League Baseball, it's also illegal. I'm not saying it isn't possible that a verbal deal has already been reached, just that the repercussions if something like that were able to be proven could be gigantic.

wagnall
02-15-2012, 06:12 PM
Naturally you want to sign the best guys you can, but our OF seems fairly full for now and the distant future. Bauts., Rasmus,Thames,Snider,Gose, Marsnick and except for Bauts, all are 25 or younger. But it never hurts to sign talent, even if you have an excess of talent at a certain position. Good position to be in when it comes to making trades for other areas of need.

phillipmike
02-15-2012, 06:18 PM
I was referring specifically to this offseason.

Seriously though, citing the signings of the 4th, 5th, 21st and 33rd of the best IFA last year though as throwing serious money towards the upper eschelon IFA is disengenous.

They weren't in on Cespedes for example, so why would we expect they'd be the team that signs Soler? Another IFA OF.

I'm not even necessarily advocating going after him with the 2 OF pegs in place in CF and RF and another year to figure out if Snider and Thames are going to stick as mlb players and with 2 highly touted OF prospects set to appear in 2012 and 2013. So I wasn't being negative. OF didn't seem to interest them this offseason.

And I'm done giving credit for being #2 in landing a free agent.

Soler is 19... At best he will be in A ball in 2012 and likely at least 2 years away. He is also expected to sign for a deal less than 20 million which is manageable with his tools and skill. Cespedes is a 26 year CF/RF that was looking for the biggest possible to play in the MLB now. The Jays are set at RF and CF and have 2 legit LF options in Snider and Thames. Add in that he had a terrible show in the winter league it is safe to say (and as a fan happy) that they were not in on him for that amount of money, term and baseball commitment.

Soler and Cespedes are not similar commodities other than them be Cuban and outfielders. One is old, looking for an MLB job and a lot of money. The other is young, will likely develop in your system, is raw with tools who will likely cost less than half of the other.

joshgc
02-15-2012, 08:54 PM
There had been a general consensus that 19-year-old Cuban Jorge Soler was going to sign with the Cubs -- and even one that suggested he had a deal in place -- but that may not be a done deal just yet. MLB.com's Jesse Sanchez reports Soler worked out for Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos and members of the team's front office at the tema's complex in the Dominican Republic.
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22297882/34852232

This would be a nice pick up if the jays will be able to land Soler, i like his power and he can be a good addition to our team.

jamjar
02-15-2012, 09:16 PM
we love outfielders

BlueJayFanDan
02-15-2012, 09:21 PM
The same stone that had Darvish to Toronto?

Yep, that's the one lol.

DeRozan10
02-15-2012, 11:05 PM
would love to see the jays grab him

DeRozan10
02-15-2012, 11:09 PM
If we got him we would have so much young, high ceiling, potential top end outfielders ....

Colby Rasmus
Travis Snider
Eric Thames
Anthony Gose
Jorge Soler
Jake Marisnick
Michael Crouse
Marcus Knecht
Jacob Anderson
Dwight Smith Jr

Pride
02-15-2012, 11:38 PM
I think AA is just doing his due diligence with this one. He'd be a great addition, but I doubt its going to happen.

nstojic
02-16-2012, 12:23 AM
odds and ends...

Goldstein says he would rank Soler 38th or 39th in his top 101.. that would put him as the third best spec in our system, according to goldstein.. behind d'arnaud and marisnick...

Callis talked about Soler in his 'askBA' chat.. says that he could be a 5-tool guy, comparable to the royals 2011 5th overall pick, bubba starling.. would probably put soler in the 11-20 range among all specs.. so, higher on him, than goldstein..

law thinks he's ahead of marisnick.. not from a direct comparison but views soler as a top 20 spec...

some scouts view soler as having raw power in the stanton neighbourhood.. a notch below.. and a really good arm(70).. so, better power/arm than marisnick...comparable speed..

Shifty1 69
02-16-2012, 12:57 AM
Yikes^^^ and it's just money. I am all for it and think there's something to it if the execs were there in person.

nstojic
02-16-2012, 01:07 AM
Yikes^^^ and it's just money. I am all for it and think there's something to it if the execs were there in person.

yeah, at 19 years old and apparently very very naturally gifted, I'm all for it. If most can see him being a top 5 pick in a draft, he'd cost a fair amount anyway but the extra $ gets him away from other teams, so there's the premium you're paying... and with the rules for the draft/international FAs being tightened up dramatically, let's jump in this pool with both feet! Please get it done, AA!

edit: and furthermore, if the consensus is that Soler would be a top 30 spec MLB-wide, it further puts the $ in perspective... for a sec, imagine if d'arnaud, marisnick, or gose, were FA's... the competition to land them would assuredly lead one team to throw big, unfounded, coin in their direction... so therefore, it's not relevant to say 'well why waste all this money when we can draft a guy like this'... it's apples/oranges...

2009mvp
02-16-2012, 01:12 AM
Whoa, any comps to Stanton's power would be pretty high praise. Who said that?

nstojic
02-16-2012, 01:20 AM

Scouts say that Soler, a 6-foot-3, 205-pound right-handed hitter, possesses power comparable to that of a player with a similar build, Marlins right fielder Mike Stanton. Soler does not run as well as Stanton, however, and ultimately could end up at first base.

rosenthal (rosenthal)

nstojic
02-16-2012, 01:29 AM
I could see it.. can't you project some more beef on this frame (on this frame), in a couple of years? i can :D

Krylian
02-16-2012, 01:34 AM
Callis has Soler's power at a 65...and could make the argument for a 70. That's huge power...but not Stanton territory. Stanton, Harper...those are 80 guys...and they're rare. 70 is still massive though.

nstojic
02-16-2012, 01:40 AM
I did say, a notch below...

Krylian
02-16-2012, 08:48 AM
Ya...missed that line.

Would love to see the Jays step up here.

T.O. Fan
02-16-2012, 09:13 AM
I think some of you are confusing the Cubs signing of Concepcion with Soler. Also, Soler is 19 years old so it doesn't matter that the Jays have Rasmus, Snider, Thames, Gose or Marisnick.

wamco
02-16-2012, 09:15 AM
They said Rios was gonna be a power beast when he filled out too though. Go get em AA

StealingSigns
02-16-2012, 09:32 AM
I think some of you are confusing the Cubs signing of Concepcion with Soler. Also, Soler is 19 years old so it doesn't matter that the Jays have Rasmus, Snider, Thames, Gose or Marisnick.

It was reported the Cubs had signed him, but technically he isn't signable yet, as he has to complete establishing residency in the Dominican Republic.

masTOR_shake1
02-16-2012, 10:08 AM
interesting, interesting. i'd love to see it happen even though we have a wealth of outfield-spects. he was offered a $27.5 million from the cubs (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/10622631-573/cubs-set-sights-on-cuban-of-jorge-soler.htm) so it'll have to be a steep counter-offer on our part. He'd be our best outfield prospect (" Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus explained yesterday that Soler would rank 38th or 39th on his list of top prospects." gose is like 58 or something and this is the last time teams are able to buy international players free-market style. lots money for a prospect, either way i'm happy.

Shifty1 69
02-16-2012, 10:12 AM

This is why I said 'Yikes' lol...
Quite the praise if there is any value to the assessment!!

nstojic
02-16-2012, 10:32 AM
the context of the power rating... it's from a recent Fangraphs piece I posted in the spec thread...

Over the past three seasons, scouting well over 100 games and a few hundred prospects has led me to develop my own “tools of magnificence” as a handful of players have displayed 80-grade tools which are now seared into my scouting conscious.

When scouting raw power, Mike Stanton is the benchmark for me to compare all others to. Opening Day 2011 brought Bryce Harper to Rome. During batting practice, I remember thinking, “what would Stanton do?” in an attempt to place Harper’s batting practice show into perspective. When scouting Stanton, he hit three routine pop ups (for mortal men) in Jacksonville which settled into the right fielders glove at the warning track. That combination of carry and opposite-field power on balls Stanton did not square up was all I needed to see. Even without a tape measure job, the 80 grade was an easy one to give and the fact Stanton’s power was on display in game action was icing on the cake, as too many prospects show it only in batting practice.

Bryce Harper had 80 power too, but scouting Stanton first establishes his light-tower power as my frame of reference. The longest home run I’ve ever seen in person was what had to be a 500+ foot blast off of a 97 MPH Maikel Cleto fastball by former Braves and current Yankees farmhand Cody Johnson. FanGraphs readers are unlikely to ever see that power at the big league level, though, as Johnson simply strikes out too much to ever project as a big leaguer.

fangraphs (fangraphs)

Krylian
02-16-2012, 10:34 AM

No. I've read rumours stating that the Cubs had a handshake deal with Soler for $28M. Apparently, those rumours have been rebuffed...but what are they gonna say? Ya...we've broken the law! Booyah!!!

nstojic
02-16-2012, 10:42 AM
from Goldstein's BP chat, feb 13th

CharlieWerner (York, PA): What type of player is Jorge Soler? Does he have plus power potential, plus speed, or a plus hit tool? Haven't see his actual skills adressed other than people saying he has big potential but is very raw

Kevin Goldstein: Classic RF profile. Tons of raw power, good arm, good overall athlete. Would be single digit pick in the draft.

---

sos (chicago): based on what cespedes just signed...what's the $ expectation for soler?

Kevin Goldstein: 25-27.5 million.

link (link)

Krylian
02-16-2012, 03:57 PM
Armando Rivero is intriguing. 23 year old RHP that can bring it to 98mph. He's one of the other Cubans AA and the boys were looking at along with Soler.

wagnall
02-16-2012, 06:24 PM
Armando Rivero is intriguing. 23 year old RHP that can bring it to 98mph. He's one of the other Cubans AA and the boys were looking at along with Soler.

I would hope AA's kicked his tires on this one. Has a very simular name to some guy named Rivera. Oh if only? :cool:

Krylian
02-16-2012, 07:45 PM
They said Rios was gonna be a power beast when he filled out too though. Go get em AA

Let's not go for anyone who projects to develop into a good player.

WooooHooo!! That's the ticket!!

wamco
02-16-2012, 10:17 PM
good one.

and i said go get him, so that makes no sense

Krylian
02-16-2012, 10:30 PM
good one.

and i said go get him, so that makes no sense

What was the bit about Rios then?

Dol-Fan
02-16-2012, 10:55 PM
What was the bit about Rios then?

Probably just stating the obvious that prospects are never a sure thing.

Billyen
02-17-2012, 12:08 AM

The only problem was....wait for it..........Rios is a bum!

wamco
02-17-2012, 08:38 AM
yup believe in the big time power after you see it. Don't go chasing waterfalls playas.

Krylian
02-17-2012, 10:06 AM
I thought Soler already did show it.

Rios was 6'5" and something in the 180-190 neighbourhood when drafted.

Soler is 6'3" and I've read anywhere between 205 and 225.

Farsight
02-17-2012, 12:58 PM
I dont understand why people are ripping on Rios. From 2006-2008, he was a great player, and one of the best on our team. I can see why people are angry that he didnt live up to the fullest of his tools, but he was a good player during most of his tenure

Krylian
02-17-2012, 01:53 PM
I dont understand why people are ripping on Rios. From 2006-2008, he was a great player, and one of the best on our team. I can see why people are angry that he didnt live up to the fullest of his tools, but he was a good player during most of his tenure

Million dollar talent in a 10 cent head.

StealingSigns
02-17-2012, 02:38 PM

Pretty much this :nod:

AA09-?
02-18-2012, 08:35 AM

You gotta want it. He clearly doesn't.

wamco
02-18-2012, 11:47 AM
who gives a f*&^

Krylian
02-18-2012, 10:31 PM
who gives a f*&^

About what?

TO Rapz
02-19-2012, 01:43 AM
About what?

Rios I'm guessing.

wamco
02-19-2012, 08:24 AM
ummmmmm remember that was his big comment that was caught on video by a person in the community saying he should be lucky anyone even asks for his autograph after going 0-5 or whatever that day (and stinking in general).

his comment was "who gives a f&^%"

AA09-?
02-19-2012, 11:07 AM
ummmmmm remember that was his big comment that was caught on video by a person in the community saying he should be lucky anyone even asks for his autograph after going 0-5 or whatever that day (and stinking in general).

his comment was "who gives a f&^%"

Nope, sure don't remember that one.

TRIUMPHATOR
02-19-2012, 12:10 PM
Don't remember? That was the perverbial straw that broke the camels back. After the backlash, the Blue Jays couldn't rid themselves quick enough....

wamco
02-19-2012, 01:34 PM
ya, he was coming out of some kid's charity event i think.

Krylian
02-19-2012, 02:27 PM
ya, he was coming out of some kid's charity event i think.

Ya. I totally forgot about that...haha...what an ***** clown.

ILDD
02-19-2012, 03:05 PM

Exactly this.

Imagine someone with Rios' talent and J Mac's desire and professionalism?

es0terik
02-26-2012, 03:45 PM
They were #2 for Chapman and won Hechavarria. They've shown they can be fairly aggressive in the Cuban market.

But I know what you mean...it's much easier to just be negative and write everything off right away. That way, if they lose out you can say 'I told you so'.

Well done.

:clap: I applaud you for that post.

es0terik
02-26-2012, 03:49 PM
Oh right, because if a team isn't in on Mark Teixeira that means they have no interest in drafting Eric Hosmer, right? Cespedes is a 26 year old fully developed player entering his prime who had a estimated price tag of 40M+. Soler is a 19 year old prospect. In other words, they are NOT the same thing.

Exactly this.

Imagine someone with Rios' talent and J Mac's desire and professionalism?

Almost every good player in the majors?

AA09-?
02-27-2012, 11:09 AM
unprovoked personal attacks about a person's intellect/name calling will not be tolerated on this forum and has been reported as such.

:confused::confused::confused:

I believe Einstein isn't a derogatory term. Stop :cry:

wamco
02-27-2012, 06:42 PM
Yanks supposed to be very interested in Soler.

wagnall
02-27-2012, 06:46 PM
Are we still looking at this guy, or have we walked away from him. Seems like his name has been out there awhile!

phillipmike
02-27-2012, 07:29 PM
^^^ Well he has not been declared a free agent yet as his residency has yet to be finalized yet.

Unless he gets a ridiculous offer you better believe the Jays will be still involved.

He will be a big piece for any team that gets him. I think he can be better than Cespedes and maybe on the same level as Chapman and his ceiling.

If the Jays can sign him then it would be one of the best moves of the off-season if not the best (Santos).

wagnall
02-28-2012, 04:22 PM
^ did not know he isn't a free agent yet, sure taking a while. Hope AA has looked this guy over. Plus this guy is still only 19, isn't Cepedes like 26. Can never have enough good young athletes on your team.

phillipmike
02-28-2012, 04:39 PM
^ did not know he isn't a free agent yet, sure taking a while. Hope AA has looked this guy over. Plus this guy is still only 19, isn't Cepedes like 26. Can never have enough good young athletes on your team.

He is raw and a potential 5 tool player with massive power potential.

Many believe he maybe more effective at 1B but regardless of his position Soler needs to be looked at and chased if possible.

Solerís best trait is easily his raw power, a plus tool that could make him quite the prospect if heís able to improve his overall hitting ability. FOX Sportsí Ken Rosenthal wrote in his article this afternoon that scouts actually say that his power is comparable to that of Miami Marlins right fielder Mike Stanton. Solerís powerful, accurate arm plays out well in right field and he has above-average potential there as a defender as well. While heís not considered to be a stolen base threat, Soler is far from a liability on the base paths,
Rosenthal notes that Soler could possibly wind up at first base down the road and thatís where things would get interesting from the Blue Jaysí standpoint. If they were going after Soler with the intention of converting him to a first baseman, the deal would make more sense considering that they donít have a surplus of power-hitting first basemen in their minor league system right now. Even still, it appears that Soler possesses the prototypical package of an elite right fielder, so donít bet on him changing positions any time soon.

wagnall
02-28-2012, 04:49 PM
Sign the best talent you can and find a place for them. Never heard of a team with too much young talent. At 19, he may need a couple years in the minors, by that time, if he is that good, he can scoot into RF and we can move Bautista to 1st.

Just a thought.

phillipmike
02-28-2012, 05:01 PM
Sign the best talent you can and find a place for them. Never heard of a team with too much young talent. At 19, he may need a couple years in the minors, by that time, if he is that good, he can scoot into RF and we can move Bautista to 1st.

Just a thought.

If Soler is legit and can become an "elite RF" then yes Bautista would be the better candidate to move to first. He no doubt has the bat and is a good bet to transition over to first.

Soler would be in his early 20s and if all is well he will be a better fielder in RF than Bautista. It is his bat that will be in question.

He has the raw talent that the Jays should be after. Missing out on Sano a few years ago hurts after seeing what he did.

The_Jet11
02-28-2012, 06:05 PM
do it. Where's the harm in bringing in another high upside prospect.