PDA

View Full Version : Toronto "Fans" or Jeremy Lin Effect?

72 Wins
02-15-2012, 01:36 PM
I'm sure I'll get flamed for starting another Jeremy Lin related thread, but are we seeing the Jeremy Lin effect on fans of opposing teams playing NYC, or are just Toronto fans terrible? You would never see Bulls/New York/Boston/etc fans cheer a game-winning shot by a player on the other team.

P Styles
02-15-2012, 01:38 PM
Lin effect. If jeffries hit that shot noone would cheer.

/thread

FutureGM
02-15-2012, 01:41 PM
It's cause Toronto has a HUGE Asian population.

I'm from Toronto and it didn't surprise me at all on what was happening. The arena looked overloaded with our Asian community there to support their man Lin. Add into the mix that everyone was looking for a Tebow like ending and you've got yourself a perfect storm.

As a Toronto Raptors fan I was pretty embarrassed with the cheering I heard for him last night. Made our team feel like strangers in their own home.

chicago lulz
02-15-2012, 01:46 PM
wasn't it coincidentally Asian heritage night as well?

Evolution23
02-15-2012, 01:48 PM
Toronto fans are actually very loyal and passionate. It surprises me because basketball isn't even their main sport. Right now every one is on the Lin Bandwagon and last night was Asian night in TO so a lot of Asians showed up to support Lin.

Kashmir13579
02-15-2012, 01:50 PM
Toronto has great fans. Lin is just bringing the fair-weather asian fans out of the woodwork. Isn't Toronto like 11% asian or something of that nature?

FutureGM
Toronto fans are actually very loyal and passionate. It surprises me because basketball isn't even their main sport. Right now every one is on the Lin Bandwagon and last night was Asian night in TO so a lot of Asians showed up to support Lin.

Haha. Just go to the Raptors forum on this site to see how passionate we are over this team. We're probably up their among the most active community in basketball on PSD. Imagine if we actually had a decent team?

nycsports2

I'm from Toronto and it didn't surprise me at all on what was happening. The arena looked overloaded with our Asian community there to support their man Lin. Add into the mix that everyone was looking for a Tebow like ending and you've got yourself a perfect storm.

As a Toronto Raptors fan I was pretty embarrassed with the cheering I heard for him last night. Made our team feel like strangers in their own home.

this... i wasnt really suprised bc ino toronto has a huge asian population but also i live in sofl and i go 2 heat games and its about 50 50 sometimes also when we play in the north east like washington and boston etc i hear us on tv over the home crowd

72 Wins
02-15-2012, 01:51 PM

Sorry, but if you're loyal and passionate to your home team- you would definitely NOT jump on the Lin bandwagon. Myself being Asian, I would have been happy that Lin did well- but not happy we lost. The reaction should have been disbelief, not cheers.

Sadds The Gr8
02-15-2012, 01:51 PM
I'm sure I'll get flamed for starting another Jeremy Lin related thread, but are we seeing the Jeremy Lin effect on fans of opposing teams playing NYC, or are just Toronto fans terrible? You would never see Bulls/New York/Boston/etc fans cheer a game-winning shot by a player on the other team.
NY and Boston cheered Kobe shitloads of times before their teams were good.

wasn't it coincidentally Asian heritage night as well?
that sig is great

willabeast77
02-15-2012, 01:53 PM
Not too surprised. Raptors have nothing much to cheer for. They lost and the fans seemed like they didn't care too much.

Rentzias
02-15-2012, 01:55 PM

The Canadian Chinese Youth Athletics Association sent 300 fans to the game in support of Lin. Just from the parts of the game I saw, there were a lot of fans carrying Lin signs, etc., outnumbering people in Raptor-ish garb. I don't think it should be a knock on that fanbase, it's definitely a Lin Effect.

72 Wins
02-15-2012, 01:55 PM
NY and Boston cheered Kobe shitloads of times before their teams were good.

That's sad.

Cal827
02-15-2012, 01:56 PM
Insult the Toronto fanbase over a game winning shot. I smell a bait thread lol..

Are you ****ing kidding me? We have had game winners against us before, and people don't cheer (E.g. I remember being silent when Melo hit one a few years back and just plain booed when Carter hit one years ago). You know the answer to your own goddamn question lol

Also, I remember Knick/Bull/Celtic fans cheering stars that came to town, all the time, before they got some. Kobe, Lebron, etc.. Doesn't mean they are terrible fans, things were down with their respective teams at one time.

Kashmir13579
02-15-2012, 01:57 PM
Sorry, but if you're loyal and passionate to your home team- you would definitely NOT jump on the Lin bandwagon. Myself being Asian, I would have been happy that Lin did well- but not happy we lost. The reaction should have been disbelief, not cheers.

The real Raptor fans were booing the Lin fans the whole night. Notice that?

BigBlueCrew
02-15-2012, 01:59 PM
bait bate bayt!

Smaxor5
02-15-2012, 02:04 PM
That's sad.

Do people really think that fans in their respective city are soooo much different than everyone else? Do you really think if chicago went through what the knicks did in the 2000's that chicago fans wouldnt cheer a feat like a Hall of famer dropping 50+? Do they teach kids in chicago in kindergarten how to be real fans or hand out pamphlets at church? Believe it or not, to my knowledge, humans are the ones in attendance at all sporting events and, on the aggregate, tend to behave in similar natures when put in a similar environment. I highly doubt Chicago is "china" compared to NY and Boston in that regard. So, with this all in mind, shut up.

RLundi
02-15-2012, 02:06 PM
Toronto fans are typically really good and supportive. So I don't think they're bandwagon hoppers. It could be all the intense hype surrounding this guy. Or the fact that Toronto has a pretty large Asian population.

But I love Toronto and have absolutely nothing bad to say about the city and their fans.

Evolution23
02-15-2012, 02:07 PM

"Linsanity" is taking over the NBA right now. All the fair weather Asian fans are coming out and making noise at Knicks away games. I don't think they represent Raptors fans. Raptors fans actually remind me of Knicks fans cause we are both dying to see winning basketball. I know at the Garden fans respect superstar players, like when Kobe comes to the garden he gets applause because of the level of respect fans have for him. I got a chance to see Rose in person at the Garden a few weeks ago and couldn't help but yell out "wow." That doesn't mean I was cheering for Rose to beat the Knicks.

pebloemer
02-15-2012, 02:10 PM
The real Raptor fans were booing the Lin fans the whole night. Notice that?

Yah, I noticed. I was there. And I was one of them.

Evolution23
02-15-2012, 02:10 PM
There is nothing wrong with respecting greatness when you see it.

Kashmir13579
02-15-2012, 02:12 PM
Yah, I noticed. I was there. And I was one of them.

I would've done the same.

Da Knicks
02-15-2012, 02:17 PM
Insult the Toronto fanbase over a game winning shot. I smell a bait thread lol..

Are you ****ing kidding me? We have had game winners against us before, and people don't cheer (E.g. I remember being silent when Melo hit one a few years back and just plain booed when Carter hit one years ago). You know the answer to your own goddamn question lol

Also, I remember Knick/Bull/Celtic fans cheering stars that came to town, all the time, before they got some. Kobe, Lebron, etc.. Doesn't mean they are terrible fans, things were down with their respective teams at one time.

THIS!!! I was very pissed when the fans cheered Kobe and Lebron, those are the same morons that boo our picks each year at the draft! Real fans dont cheer for the opposing player or are fans of Kobe and Lebron!! just my opinion of course...

pebloemer
02-15-2012, 02:17 PM
I would've done the same.

It was very odd atmosphere last night. Hordes of boos from around the arena during Lin's free throws. Lots of distraction behind the hoop during his free throws. Then it appears that the same people that are banging the noise makers together during his free throws are jumping up and down when he makes good plays. A lot of pissed of fans in the arena and a lot of jubilant opportunists that have been enjoying the story.

I actually like the kid. I hope he has a great career. But last night the atmosphere in my home arena made me hope that Kleiza would just level him under the basket. It's not good to wish harm on other people like that. I'm embarassed for thinking it. But man it was an infuriating night to be a Raptor's fan at the ACC.

spreadeagle
02-15-2012, 02:19 PM
Most of what i was gunna say has been said here already, but trust me for how bad the Raptors always are they have a rabbit fan base who put butt's in the seats nighty to see a bad product,imagine if they had even a decent team? sold out every night. I remember going to see Tor Sac in the Peja Vlade Turk hayday and was surrounded by crazy euro fans..its jus the muliticulturalism of Toronto,it is annoying though to see

AntiG
02-15-2012, 02:30 PM

Just wait until the Knicks visit Boston and Chicago. You'll see. Both cities and their suburbs have huge Asian populations, and large populations of students from surrounding high level universities (MIT, Harvard, Tuck, BU, BC, UMass, UConn, Yale, Brown, Dartmouth, Northeastern, U of Chicago, Illinois, Illinois-Chicago, Northwestern, Loyola) will flock to see him play live.

Northern Flyer
02-15-2012, 02:35 PM
Two things:

1. Linsanity is real. Read any sports page across Canada or the US and his name will be draped in any market. It is Tebow-ing all over, except people realize that Lin is actually a decent pg who was probably under rated by all teams in the league. It happens, thats why we have undrafted atheletes who over the course of the year out perform 1st round choices. Its sports, the stories and heroics are why we love it. This story of this over achiever captivates us all. The difference between him and Tebow IMHO is Lin is being appreciated totally for what he is doing on the court while Tebow received accolades for the type of person (god-fearing, religious) that hid some of the short comings he had on the field (below average passer).

2. This is totally a cultural thing. Yes Toronto has a huge Asian population but it goes even further than that. Asians in general are under represented in the 4 major sports. Lin is not the first to have Asian fans show up in droves to cheer on the athlete. I can think of Ichiro, Hideo Nomo and Yao Ming being celebrated in nearly every market they went by Asians as well.

I think where you went over the line here is to make the comment directly at Raps fans. I will be at the game tonight and will be cheering loud for a team who I know will not make the playoffs. Toronto basketball fans are great. We haven't had a good team in years and still show up to games.

One thing that makes me laugh is the fact that you (guy/girl) who started the thread have Michael Jordan as your picture. I think fans at every stadium at some point cheered for #23. Does that make Knicks, Celtics and Lakers fans bad fans? Not at all, they are some of the best in the league. They cheered because they are WITNESSING something that moves them.

Raps fans will unite behind me when I say in 3 years when Jonas V, Bargs and our other high draft picks gel and oust the Bulls from the playoffs, we will all be heard over the waves on Lake Michigan.

Its not even that I believe that.....I just wanted to prove that I can bait too.

smith&wesson
02-15-2012, 02:36 PM

good observation. im glad you made this thread.

im a raptor fan and i what i saw yesterday made me sick to my stomache. grant it we have a large asian population but to cheer a player for where his parents were born instead of the team he plays for is just :facepalm:

smith&wesson
02-15-2012, 02:39 PM
There is nothing wrong with respecting greatness when you see it.

has nothig to do with lin really. he played an ok game. 6 turnovers were ugly. but he won the game.

fans from toronto shouldnt be chearing for a player because they were born a couple hundred km's away from where lins parents were born. im sorry but thats ********.

BigBlueCrew
02-15-2012, 02:40 PM
good observation. im glad you made this thread.

im a rator fan and i what i saw yesterday made me sick to my stomache. grant it we have a large asian population but to cheer a player for where his parents were born instead of the team he plays for is just :facepalm:

what??

this is the stupidest thread ever. You mean you cant appreciate basketball? What the individual player has done? If you step inside Air Canada arena you BETTER cheer for the Raps or else!

Evolution23
02-15-2012, 02:42 PM
has nothig to do with lin really. he played an ok game. 6 turnovers were ugly. but he won the game.

fans from toronto shouldnt be chearing for a player because they were born a couple hundred km's away from where lins parents were born. im sorry but thats ********.

But it's not Toronto really. It was Asian pride night and casual fans don't care about basketball as much as we do. They just want to support their own kind.

Sandman
02-15-2012, 02:44 PM
Just means you only heard the road fans at the end of the game.

Happens a lot, on the east coast especially no matter what the sport.

Toronto is only about 100 miles from NY state.

smith&wesson
02-15-2012, 02:45 PM
Two things:

1. Linsanity is real. Read any sports page across Canada or the US and his name will be draped in any market. It is Tebow-ing all over, except people realize that Lin is actually a decent pg who was probably under rated by all teams in the league. It happens, thats why we have undrafted atheletes who over the course of the year out perform 1st round choices. Its sports, the stories and heroics are why we love it. This story of this over achiever captivates us all. The difference between him and Tebow IMHO is Lin is being appreciated totally for what he is doing on the court while Tebow received accolades for the type of person (god-fearing, religious) that hid some of the short comings he had on the field (below average passer).

2. This is totally a cultural thing. Yes Toronto has a huge Asian population but it goes even further than that. Asians in general are under represented in the 4 major sports. Lin is not the first to have Asian fans show up in droves to cheer on the athlete. I can think of Ichiro, Hideo Nomo and Yao Ming being celebrated in nearly every market they went by Asians as well.

I think where you went over the line here is to make the comment directly at Raps fans. I will be at the game tonight and will be cheering loud for a team who I know will not make the playoffs. Toronto basketball fans are great. We haven't had a good team in years and still show up to games.

One thing that makes me laugh is the fact that you (guy/girl) who started the thread have Michael Jordan as your picture. I think fans at every stadium at some point cheered for #23. Does that make Knicks, Celtics and Lakers fans bad fans? Not at all, they are some of the best in the league. They cheered because they are WITNESSING something that moves them.

Raps fans will unite behind me when I say in 3 years when Jonas V, Bargs and our other high draft picks gel and oust the Bulls from the playoffs, we will all be heard over the waves on Lake Michigan.

Its not even that I believe that.....I just wanted to prove that I can bait too.

so its ok to cheer against your home team if your from the same cultural back round as the guy on the aposing team ? thats bs.

i have no problem with ppl form new york chearing him. because he plays for new york. makes no sence for asians across the usa to chear for him unless ofcourse they arent really basketball fans. they are just asian athlete fans.

BigBlueCrew
02-15-2012, 02:45 PM
But it's not Toronto really. It was Asian pride night and casual fans don't care about basketball as much as we do. They just want to support their own kind.

Love the sig dude....just got rid of my ******** quote from DoMefavors...hehe

smith&wesson
02-15-2012, 02:52 PM

thats my point. these arent basket ball fans. they are asian athlete suporters. but heres what gets me... Lin wasnt born there his parents were ...

anyways, it was a big shot. i enjoyed the game. nice sig bro.

LongIslandIcedZ
02-15-2012, 02:53 PM
I've said it before and I will say it again. I have been extremely impressed with the Toronto fan base. I've never been there and have no future plans to go there, but I always thought they were a small, not caring, fan base. Turns out the Raptors have quite a following, and probably deserve to start winning some. Hopefully they can turn it around soon with some decent drafts.

spreadeagle
02-15-2012, 02:54 PM
Not sure if this has been mentioned but this type of thing is why you dont want a corporation owning your team...Some head office guy is prob like hey lets make it asian pride night and sell out the arena "with the opposing teams fans" cause all they care about is the bottom line, where as a single owner would probably not do somethin like that unless they were strapped for cash which the Raps are not

theLgndKllr35
02-15-2012, 03:04 PM
On Asian Heritage night? Seriously?

spreadeagle
02-15-2012, 03:11 PM
I think we can all agree if Toronto ever signs an asian player that they better build a wayyyyy bigger arena lol

Vampirate
02-15-2012, 03:15 PM
At the end of the day both fan bases got what they wanted. The knicks got another win and another reason to be hopefull and optomistic thanks to Lin.

The Raptors lost, meaning they got a little more hope to getting a high probability pick in the draft lottery.

Vampirate
02-15-2012, 03:17 PM
I've said it before and I will say it again. I have been extremely impressed with the Toronto fan base. I've never been there and have no future plans to go there, but I always thought they were a small, not caring, fan base. Turns out the Raptors have quite a following, and probably deserve to start winning some. Hopefully they can turn it around soon with some decent drafts.

I wouldn't mind my team going head to head against your team in the playoffs, man those were the days huh.

Avenged
02-15-2012, 03:20 PM
Sorry man but there is already a Lin thread, and we can't have threads asking if a certain fan base is terrible.