PDA

View Full Version : Confirmed

joeystats
02-15-2012, 10:28 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/story/2012-02-13/jr-smith-gilbert-arenas-talking-to-lakers/53099024/1

Appears Mike Brown confirmed the phone conversation with JR Smith that JR tweeted about yesterday....

jonesyLakeShow
02-15-2012, 10:46 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/story/2012-02-13/jr-smith-gilbert-arenas-talking-to-lakers/53099024/1

Appears Mike Brown confirmed the phone conversation with JR Smith that JR tweeted about yesterday....

I hoped it ended with Brown saying you can expect your uni on friday and Smith replying ok coach

jonesyLakeShow
02-15-2012, 10:52 AM

I hope you guys realize this would be bigger than landing dwight howard...we get a 15 to 20 point scorer for nothing as far as a traders view.A lock for 6th man ,him and goudelock off the bench is the reason we probably wouldnt get arenas. Unless we traded blake away,but there are so many options if we add JR

joeystats
02-15-2012, 10:53 AM
I hoped it ended with Brown saying you can expect your uni on friday and Smith replying ok coach

Me too lol, the good thing is that by talking to coach he can get a better idea about his playing time and role versus being recruited by a player (CP3)
And I know it's just a tweet and JR's been messin with fans on his twitter account but I still take it as a very positive thing that he tweeted about his good convo with Mike Brown, he didn't have to say anything

Iceman_9
02-15-2012, 11:02 AM
Sweet!

Kaspa
02-15-2012, 11:05 AM
Glad he had a nice chat with Mr. Potato Head and all...
But until it's confirmed that he's a a Los Angeles Laker, it doesn't mean anything to me.

DayZ
02-15-2012, 11:08 AM
We have a definite bench again IF we sign Arenas and JR Smith.

I dont want to say it but I hope David Stern doesn't try anything funny, same goes with mitch + jimbo

joeystats
02-15-2012, 11:11 AM
But until it's confirmed that he's a a Los Angeles Laker, it doesn't mean anything to me.

Thats all Im saying, just glad we are making an effort versus not hearing anything about the situation, we heard CP3 was recruiting him and Melo also, so it kinda seemed like we had no chance, then the whole Potato Head convo happened so it's a positive thing

Avenged
02-15-2012, 11:45 AM
Smith is a nice piece for sure since we can't score..

but Arenas?? lol I want to believe too but...

laker2dodger
02-15-2012, 11:55 AM
I hope he will sign with lake show it would be he highlight of my week

Iron24th
02-15-2012, 12:21 PM
When does he say where he signs?

jonesyLakeShow
02-15-2012, 12:42 PM

It means something, like we will watch and wait and wait and wait and keep checking updates:ohno:

shep33
02-15-2012, 12:53 PM
Oh. I thought this was a Troy Murphy GOAT thread. Misleading thread title

L@ker4Life
02-15-2012, 12:59 PM
When can he sign? Has he been cleared by FIBA?

midwestlaker75
02-15-2012, 01:07 PM
I don't know how many of you remember Terrence Trent D'arby from the late 80's - early 90's....But he hat a hit record called "Sign Your Name". So unless that is what that conversation ended with, I will not get overly excited. But it is good that we are at least thinking about it.

BigBongTheory
02-15-2012, 01:08 PM

I believe he returns to the states today. He will get back on the court asap obviously.

Mcdoh
02-15-2012, 01:16 PM
i hope that good conversation leads to something... we really need his presence..

jonesyLakeShow
02-15-2012, 01:18 PM

He should be cleared today

Dnice100889
02-15-2012, 01:27 PM
I don't care about them having a conversation I care about him signing on the dotted line until then stop this *****

LakerMan24
02-15-2012, 01:32 PM
It'd be great to have him come off the bench, but until it's officially confirmed, this doesn't mean anything.

jonesyLakeShow
02-15-2012, 01:47 PM
It'd be great to have him come off the bench, but until it's officially confirmed, this doesn't mean anything.

It means a lot , it means they are doing everything to sign him and that's all I ask

LakersSaintsLSU
02-15-2012, 02:01 PM
Man i hate to fall for this again until they sign on the dotted line like kobe said "its just good talk"

It's Maaaaaagic
02-15-2012, 02:27 PM
Pass tha lube.

justjames
02-15-2012, 02:27 PM
A backup backcourt of Glock and Smith would have been so good with Lamar.

Kobe4Life
02-15-2012, 02:29 PM
He will probably take a day or two to evaluate his options from all the teams. I really want to be excited about this but I don't want to be let down.

Tree Rollins
02-15-2012, 02:58 PM
So we have confirmation that absolutely nothing has been confirmed. Awesome.

joeystats
02-15-2012, 03:12 PM
So we have confirmation that absolutely nothing has been confirmed. Awesome.

Just confirmation that JR wasn't blowin smoke up everyones azz again when he said he talked to Mike Brown

championships
02-15-2012, 03:53 PM
I'm sure he will talk to a few coaches before he signs somewhere

J4KOP99
02-15-2012, 04:03 PM
Can't he technically sign today?

amos1er
02-15-2012, 04:28 PM
Nice. Lets do this Mitch.

8kobe24
02-15-2012, 04:32 PM
I'm on board with signing Smith, that sure would help us out with bench scoring...but is he willing to take a small salary? I think the Lakers only have half if not less of the MLE?

dc5jdm
02-15-2012, 04:45 PM
What if Mike Brown said look Youl start il move Kobe to sf. What makes u guys think he automatically coming off the bench

Hacthree
02-15-2012, 04:53 PM
Jr Smith is nothing but a hot or cold average jump shooter! He cannot create his own shot, he plays NO defense. It will be an OK pickup. I do agree 100% better than Kapono. That dude has done nothing but look like a dark haired Luke Walton! Those two dudes are two wasteful spots on the roster that could really use basketball players!! Too bad we could not have Mo Williams, before Billups went down. Use trade exception and a few ding dongs and maybe a 2nd, and go get a Williams-like, or Sessions. We can upgrade without giving up our bigs. Plus the Stern-ruled nba will make certain that the Heat win the championship this year anyway. So forget this season, and go get D-Will during off season. Then next season the trophy comes home!! GO LAKERS!!!

8kobe24
02-15-2012, 04:53 PM
What if Mike Brown said look Youl start il move Kobe to sf. What makes u guys think he automatically coming off the bench

Yes you might be correct. That can be a viable option if Coach Brown wants to run a small line up.

Hacthree
02-15-2012, 05:00 PM
Oh Yeah!! I wanted to post about Jim Buss. I cannot agree enough!! If this moron isn't stopped, or his daddy doesn't put him charge of the food and beverage department, the Lakers will be the Clippers of old in the future!!!! He MUST be stopped!!!!! Just because you are related to the owner doesn't make you smart, business sensed, or a basketball GM!! He is gonna be like that ****ing idiot Jerry "I am a dumbass, but don't know it" Jones, who has single handily RUINED my Cowboys. Keep this FU*KWAD Buss running the show, and we are in HUGE trouble!!!!

jonesyLakeShow
02-15-2012, 05:01 PM

Either way good move

Hurricane H
02-15-2012, 05:03 PM

Wow. That is awesome. Very big news that they talked. So what does that do for us now? Can we blame Jim Buss for them talking?

Lakers + Giants
02-15-2012, 05:09 PM
I would love to see this lineup once in a while. . .

PG Goudelock
SG Smith
SF Kobe
PF Gasol
C Bynum

Having shooters surrounding the bigs while being doubled. . . :drool:

M.V.W.
02-15-2012, 05:13 PM
Why do people want to move Bryant to the 3? Let him stay in his natural position and bring Smith off the bench, so there's somebody to relieve Bryant when he rests. Goudelock would be the only one providing consistent scoring off the bench if Smith is starting.

LA_Raiders
02-15-2012, 05:27 PM
I hope it is true, we definitely need help...

KillaInstinct24
02-15-2012, 05:39 PM

PG Goudelock
SG Smith
SF Kobe
PF Gasol
C Bynum

Our bench would be garbage, rather have jr come off bench

jonesyLakeShow
02-15-2012, 05:42 PM
Why do people want to move Bryant to the 3? Let him stay in his natural position and bring Smith off the bench, so there's somebody to relieve Bryant when he rests. Goudelock would be the only one providing consistent scoring off the bench if Smith is starting.

Goudelock replaces Smith and sessions is replaced by Blake .. Barnes replaces Kobe or artest ... So it's possible . Goudelock is not gonna be running point late in the season

gocoachmike
02-15-2012, 05:44 PM
I agree with Kaspa,until he or someone else signs its just talk.

L@ker4Life
02-15-2012, 06:01 PM

PG Goudelock
SG Smith
SF Kobe
PF Gasol
C Bynum

That would be awesome...but as far as bench getting time as a unit a line up of:

Blake
GLOCK
Smith
Troy
Bynum/Pau

That's a good looking bench filled with shooters and a post presence. I like having blake out there because he can make the offense go while still being able to stretch the floor.

Do that and get a starting caliber PG and we would be pretty solid. Wouldn't hurt to get an Ariza type player to go with the starting unit either :D

bocajr22
02-15-2012, 07:52 PM
GET THIS DONE MITCH...Tell him we will start him and move kobe to the 3, whatever it takes get it done....it can only help when it comes to getting Dwight, he wants to play with as many ballers as possible

Swift Game
02-15-2012, 08:31 PM
Earl Smith III may be on the radar coming from the Zhejiang Golden Bulls.

Polamalu43322
02-15-2012, 09:49 PM
Get it done Mitch. WTF you waiting for. Get both. Now.

Kobe4Life
02-15-2012, 10:58 PM

PG Goudelock
SG Smith
SF Kobe
PF Gasol
C Bynum

Kobe doesn't play the SF, and in addition you don't move your best player/best player in the league to a position he doesn't naturally play. That is nonsense.

For what its worth JR Smith just retweeted a tweet from Clipperdarrel kind of weak.

lakersfan01
02-15-2012, 11:12 PM
We need both guys... If we get both Smith and Arenas, one of them will start. Knowing Mitch, he'll drag his feet and miss out on both. Not getting my hopes up for it but I'll be pissed if we don't at least sign Arenas.

New Power House
02-15-2012, 11:18 PM
If he comes,he will start at the 3 and when Kobe rest he will play the 2. Brown was telling that to him on the phone on Tuesday! He will play mayor minutes and he is in game shape. This might convince him. This guy is dying for attention and Lakers world has a huge audience!! Smith the savior!! vs Lynn-sanity!

New Power House
02-15-2012, 11:20 PM
Lakers can not have Smith,Arenas and Meta in the same locker. Lakers will make a move to get a PG besides getting either Smith or Arenas. My prediction.

lakersfan01
02-15-2012, 11:39 PM
Yeah, to get Smith to sign for less, you're right, Mike Brown probably had to promise him a starting job. Kobe or Smith can play the 3, I don't know what people are worried about. Kobe should be able to stay in front of opposing 3's better than he can 2's. He is usually guarded by opposing 3's anyway, whoever the best defender will be on Kobe. This would help his game especially if we got both Arenas and Smith, floor would be big time spread. 3 scorers on the perimeter all 6'6" with twin 7' towers inside. All teams will have trouble defending that. No more 80 point games from the Lakers with both those guys.

Marco22
02-16-2012, 12:21 AM
Talk, talk,talk. We need results!

Kobe4Life
02-16-2012, 10:59 AM
JR Smith is reportedly down to Knicks & Clippers. Knicks can offer him the most And clippers are trying to recruit him saying that he will have a chance to win a championship (lol clippers are way too confident). I feel stupid thinking that - guy like JR Smith would take less money to sign with us. I think he will be a Knick shortly...

showtime24
02-16-2012, 11:23 AM
^yeah!

No JR, No Arenas, No pg.

If only Puke resigns we will have the money to offer him.

shep33
02-16-2012, 11:45 AM
Update

Smith deciding between the Clippers and Knicks according to a new report

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/16/report-j-r-smith-deciding-between-knicks-clippers/

Seems like we lost out on him.

gr824
02-16-2012, 12:51 PM
I'm on board with signing Smith, that sure would help us out with bench scoring...but is he willing to take a small salary? I think the Lakers only have half if not less of the MLE?

To become a Laker, Smith would have to settle for the veteran's minimum, at least for the rest of this season. Because of the new CBA, the Lakers never had a [ 'traditional' ] MLE for 2011-2012; all they had in the way of exceptions to sign FAs was the [ so-called ] mini-MLE and they used all of that to sign Josh McRoberts ...

evadatam5150
02-16-2012, 01:34 PM
I hope you guys realize this would be bigger than landing dwight howard...we get a 15 to 20 point scorer for nothing as far as a traders view.A lock for 6th man ,him and goudelock off the bench is the reason we probably wouldnt get arenas. Unless we traded blake away,but there are so many options if we add JR

The comments don't get much worse than this.. Bigger then landing the BEST center in the league.. WOW.. That's saying a lot.. Granted the Lakers offense is as stagnant as it gets but let's not twist landing a consistent big who plays great D night in and night out.. We do need someone who can bring the ball up courts and not dribble for 15 to 20 seconds.. But again let's look at the big picture.. The entire unit is the problem and I would love to have Smith but Bigger than Dwight..?? Go jump on the Clipper band wagon.. :D

DerekCzajkowski
02-17-2012, 04:36 AM
Signing with the knicks

jonesyLakeShow
02-17-2012, 05:00 AM
The comments don't get much worse than this.. Bigger then landing the BEST center in the league.. WOW.. That's saying a lot.. Granted the Lakers offense is as stagnant as it gets but let's not twist landing a consistent big who plays great D night in and night out.. We do need someone who can bring the ball up courts and not dribble for 15 to 20 seconds.. But again let's look at the big picture.. The entire unit is the problem and I would love to have Smith but Bigger than Dwight..?? Go jump on the Clipper band wagon.. :D

Difference is jr solved a big problem getting Dwight still doesn't solve anything but better defense . We wouldn't be better offensively with Dwight . Getting jr would of helped a lot an we still have our team intact . I'm not saying jr is a better player but situationally it would of been better .

Chavacano
02-17-2012, 11:08 AM

PG Goudelock
SG Smith
SF Kobe
PF Gasol
C Bynum

Kobe can definitely play SF but his body won't be able to handle the beating. I think this issue was brought up a few years back.