PDA

View Full Version : If Seattle gets a team again, do they get there 1979 championship banner back?

JordansBulls
02-14-2012, 05:55 PM
If Seattle gets a team again, do they get there 1979 championship banner back from OKC? Or do the Thunder always keep that championship now?

Also would guys like Payton, Kemp, etc get there numbers retired for the Thunder or New Seattle team?

Hellcrooner
02-14-2012, 06:04 PM
keep their banner, keep their name colours and uniform, keep their retired numbers.

Was part of the agreement when they sold the team to okc.

The tricky thing is.......if for example stern did the RIGHT thing and moved No-History Bobcats there ( taking the hornets back to charlotte where they should ahve never parted to begin with) theres 0 problem with it.

But what if they move the KINGS there? whose story gets erased? do they MIX history?

LTBaByyy
02-14-2012, 06:12 PM
Clippers HAVE to move there

Those Seattle fans would LOVE that team

I really doubt the Lakers would even put up a division winning Clippers banner in Staples

Seriously lol

JeffG20
02-14-2012, 06:12 PM
If Seattle gets a team again, do they get there 1979 championship banner back from OKC? Or do the Thunder always keep that championship now?

Also would guys like Payton, Kemp, etc get there numbers retired for the Thunder or New Seattle team?

seattle kept all the rights, to names, championships, etc. it stayed in Seattle

JeffG20
02-14-2012, 06:15 PM
The tricky thing is.......if for example stern did the RIGHT thing and moved No-History Bobcats there ( taking the hornets back to charlotte where they should ahve never parted to begin with) theres 0 problem with it.

Hornets wont be going anywhere as Tom Benson is looking to buy the team

thawv
02-14-2012, 06:16 PM
I believe the franchise has the banner. Not the city. The actual team is in OKC. If Seattle gets a team, it would be a different franchise.

Raps18-19 Champ
02-14-2012, 06:18 PM
They kept all the rights when they left.

They did that so if they get a new team, they'll pretty much just change that team name to Supersonics.

JeffG20
02-14-2012, 06:20 PM
I believe the franchise has the banner. Not the city. The actual team is in OKC. If Seattle gets a team, it would be a different franchise.

seattle kept all the rights to sonics, and the banner belonged to the sonics. whoever moves there will be called the sonics again

LTBaByyy
02-14-2012, 06:28 PM
Clippers or Bobcats will move there

If they want a profit and crowd there, Clippers move

Clippers can't be good and stay in Staples, I only want to see Lakers banners in the rafters

GoatMilk
02-14-2012, 06:28 PM

I really doubt the Lakers would even put up a division winning Clippers banner in Staples

Seriously lol

clippers dont HAVE to move at all
they're fine in LA. no reason to move

mgsports
02-14-2012, 06:29 PM
Hornets to KC and so on to Seattle.

Klivlend
02-14-2012, 06:39 PM
I thought we were sharing the history and ish

mjokc
02-14-2012, 06:42 PM

Seriously lol

Blake Griffin is from OKC, Seattle fans hate anything to do with OKC. Even the fans for some reason.

bmd1101
02-14-2012, 08:15 PM
Blake Griffin is from OKC, Seattle fans hate anything to do with OKC. Even the fans for some reason.

um no. More of a Thunder management hate kind of thing.

ThunderousDemon
02-14-2012, 08:35 PM
Move the Clippers there, LA will always be a Laker town anyways

davids22
02-14-2012, 09:37 PM
You can't just move a team because "Oh it's LA's town". The Clippers are becoming relevant and have a great arena and city they play in. The Clippers won't move. Teams that could move would be the Hornets, Kings, hell even my Bucks (but only if Kerb Kohl sells the team)

JWO35
02-14-2012, 09:58 PM
The base rule should be, "Cities own Legacies not teams"...if any teams relocates they should lose all affiliation with their progress in the past city.

Sinattle
02-15-2012, 06:07 AM
Hell Yeah! Paul & Griff would be like a modern day Glove & Reign man :speechless:

abe_froman
02-15-2012, 06:32 AM

depends when they get a new team,i think they have to get one back within '12 to get the supersonics history back.if not then it's okc's history

mgsports
02-15-2012, 10:55 AM
Kc would get a team back for Seattle does.

JordansBulls
02-15-2012, 12:12 PM
depends when they get a new team,i think they have to get one back within '12 to get the supersonics history back.if not then it's okc's history

Yeah I know it has to be a certain time period, didn't think 5 years was long enough though.

MackShock
02-15-2012, 12:44 PM
I would assume so, if they get their Supersonics name back. But are talking expansion, or relocation?

Birdmannn
02-15-2012, 04:26 PM
Clippers or Bobcats will move there

If they want a profit and crowd there, Clippers move

Clippers can't be good and stay in Staples, I only want to see Lakers banners in the rafters

I hope Clips match up with the Lakers and they rip through em just to know your crying at home and maybe think before you post stupid statements.

SpaceJamJordans
02-15-2012, 04:40 PM

Seriously lol

I'm a Clipper fan and I'm offended, I don't say Dallas should move somewhere else

Celtics33
02-15-2012, 06:32 PM
I think Seattle should get the 79'' Banner back, after all it was won for the "Seattle Supersonics" and not the "OKC Thunder." Besides the OKC Thunder have a good team with lots to look forward to, they shouldn't be keeping a piece of another City's history.

NateyB24
02-15-2012, 10:08 PM
It would be shared history in my opinion OKC should just have started over but this is probably how it works in all sports when a team moves.

Christopher Hansen, the wealthy San Francisco mystery man who wants to build a sports arena in Seattle to lure NBA and NHL teams, will unveil his proposal at a news conference Thursday, according to two city sources.

"We're very close to announcing our offer to the city. That's why I'm here," the 44-year-old hedge-fund manager said in a Wednesday interview with The Seattle Times, though he declined to discuss the timing He met with three Seattle City Council members Wednesday to talk briefly about his desire to bring an NBA franchise to Seattle.

Hansen told The Times he is only reluctantly stepping forward now because of the intense interest and speculation around his arena proposal, the details of which are still not known. The news conference is scheduled for 2 p.m.

But Hansen, speaking in self-effacing tones, did talk about his deep Seattle roots, his modest upbringing in the Rainier Valley and his desire to help a city where he still closely follows all the professional sports teams.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2017517805_hansen16m.html

Heres an update on the situation.

utahjazzno12fan
02-15-2012, 10:40 PM
Tricky... It was definitely much easier when teams moved and took their nicknames with them. You see it through the Lakers, Jazz, Hornets, Grizz... You see it in the Colts, Raiders, Cardinals, Rams, etc.... You see it with the Braves, Dodgers, Giants, A's, etc.

It is easy when a team ceases to exist as a franchise with the previous team not coming back like the Houston Oilers or the Montreal Expos. That history traveled.

The Cleveland Browns are tough... I am sure a new Seattle Sonics team would be tough as well.