PDA

View Full Version : Floyd Mayweather questions Jeremy Lin

Showmeyourtds
02-13-2012, 10:58 PM
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/7572690/floyd-mayweather-says-new-york-knicks-jeremy-lin-spotlight-race-not-play

I really hate to post yet another Jeremy Lin thread but this one to me was worthy of its own discussion. Is Mayweather out of line for his comments? I believe so but I wanted a healthy debate on the topic.

"Jeremy Lin is a good player but all the hype is because he's Asian. Black players do what he does every night and don't get the same praise," Mayweather wrote on his Twitter account on Monday afternoon.

RickyRubio
02-13-2012, 10:59 PM
there was already a thread on this that was closed :p

Showmeyourtds
02-13-2012, 11:00 PM
Well thats a bummer I was really hoping to see some insight from different perspectives.....oh well maybe somewhere I can find a healthy discussion.

Showmeyourtds
02-13-2012, 11:02 PM
I hardly ever create threads but when I read this article it just rubbed me the wrong way.

GiantsSwaGG
02-13-2012, 11:03 PM
/thread

Fresno
02-13-2012, 11:06 PM
Mayweather is right.

I mean we've seen guys have games like Lin has had.

But Lin coming out of nowhere to do it for 4 games makes for an interesting discussion.

As far as Lin being Asian, well yeah that is getting a lot of attention to.

Gritz
02-13-2012, 11:06 PM
All the hype is because he plays in NYC, it'll be the same way if it was in LA and not really mentioned if it was Charlotte

FOBolous
02-13-2012, 11:09 PM
so what if he is right? what's wrong with a group of people being proud of one of their own for breaking a barrier or accomplishing something that's rare for someone of the group? a black person should be the last person to complain about this since black people tend to make a big deal out of "oh..so and so is the for black person to do this and that"

and do correct floyd mayweather...what Jeremy Lin has done is not something people "does every night." That's one of thing that makes Jeremy Lin's story so inspirational.

Green Storm
02-13-2012, 11:09 PM
Dead wrong imo
If Lin was black and did this in his 1st four games
he would have more hype.
Just my 2 cents.

bringbackfredex
02-13-2012, 11:13 PM
Everyone is always against the black man, god I need to start defending white people like this just so everyone sees how ridiculous these race issues are.

Raps18-19 Champ
He didn't say anything bad. He's just wrong.

The Harvard graduate, undrafted, sleeping on the couch, no athletic scholarship is the main reason.

Asian plays a role but barely, if any. I have seen little get hyped on him because he's Asian. Mostly because he's not the typical dumbass who goes to the NBA and gets broke. He actually as a great education and is playing in a top level league.

Raps18-19 Champ
Douple post.

Spiggity_ace
02-13-2012, 11:15 PM
lolll the black players that do wut he does are called superstars, names like derrick rose, russel westbrook, chris paul come to mind when comparing the numbers, so yea they do get the same praise floyd

Hugbees
02-13-2012, 11:20 PM
Why are you even placing weight on the words of this bottom feeder.

MickeyMgl
02-13-2012, 11:20 PM
Mayweather is wrong, and as usual, talking out of his cornhole.

http://tinyurl.com/7sqnw62

"In his first four starts, Lin has scored 27.3 points per game. No player has scored more points in their first four games as a starter since the NBA-ABA merger in 1976...
Here are the top four scorers in their first four NBA starts...
Jeremy Lin - 27.3 points per game
Allen Iverson - 25.3 ppg
Shaquille O'Neal - 25.0 ppg
Michael Jordan - 24.8 ppg"

So no, Floyd, black players haven't been doing what Lin has done every night. Not in their first four as starters, at least.

Does this mean he's better, or even as good as any of the above? OF COURSE NOT, but it's certainly a noteworthy achievement and should put Mayweather's views in perspective. If we shuffled the races and the accomplishment of a black player (or person in general) was being dismissed because of his race, a guy like Mayweather would probably call it racist. He's a tool, and a cowardly one at that, because while he's twittering nonsense, he should be growing a pair and getting in the ring with Manny Pacquiao.

iggypop123
02-13-2012, 11:24 PM
its true. flip murray did this and nobody gave a damn

Da Knicks
02-13-2012, 11:24 PM
Harvard grad who is playing out of his mind, From almost getting cut to what he is doing! Hmm yeah no one else is doing that....

WVNowitzki
02-13-2012, 11:27 PM
Mayweather is a ****ing idiot. He must not watch ESPN suck Kobe and Lebrons dick 24/7.

JIDsanity
02-13-2012, 11:36 PM
Its called exploitation. ESPN is loving it.

NYKNYGNYY
02-13-2012, 11:36 PM
lets see him make more excuses...then call out manny over twitter........he needs to stop talkin ish .. sayin that hes only gettin this much hype cus hes asain, f outta here its cus hes in ny and he deserves what hes getting 20 + points in 5 games and 38 against the lakers. I was at the game vs the nets ive never seen msg so loud

Boston-Born
02-13-2012, 11:40 PM
Lin is asian?!?!

beans439
02-13-2012, 11:43 PM
lin has gone off and that cant be taken away from but i think i understand where hes coming from. BUT, there is a bias with asian players and there fans supporting them simply bc of it. such as when Yao was voted an all star starter when he was injured. And i believe it was Ji Yanilian (not sure of spelling) that was voted onto an all star team. Its and obvious bias but you cant do much about it.

Bulls_fan90
02-13-2012, 11:45 PM
I agree with Floyd.

beans439
02-13-2012, 11:48 PM
Mayweather is wrong, and as usual, talking out of his cornhole.

http://tinyurl.com/7sqnw62

"In his first four starts, Lin has scored 27.3 points per game. No player has scored more points in their first four games as a starter since the NBA-ABA merger in 1976...
Here are the top four scorers in their first four NBA starts...
Jeremy Lin - 27.3 points per game
Allen Iverson - 25.3 ppg
Shaquille O'Neal - 25.0 ppg
Michael Jordan - 24.8 ppg"

So no, Floyd, black players haven't been doing what Lin has done every night. Not in their first four as starters, at least.

Does this mean he's better, or even as good as any of the above? OF COURSE NOT, but it's certainly a noteworthy achievement and should put Mayweather's views in perspective. If we shuffled the races and the accomplishment of a black player (or person in general) was being dismissed because of his race, a guy like Mayweather would probably call it racist. He's a tool, and a cowardly one at that, because while he's twittering nonsense, he should be growing a pair and getting in the ring with Manny Pacquiao.

side note...mayweather did all he could to get in the ring with manny if you follow boxing closely. Its not about him growing a pair. he called him personally, called him out via twitter, called him out during an interview. it wouldnt be smart for pac to fight mayweather right now bc Mayweather WILL beat him and Bob Arum knows it. make your money pac bc once mayweather beats you your purses will go down. Arum is only being smart with his cash cow and is making him look like a puss in the process.

Arch Stanton
02-13-2012, 11:53 PM
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/7572690/floyd-mayweather-says-new-york-knicks-jeremy-lin-spotlight-race-not-play

I really hate to post yet another Jeremy Lin thread but this one to me was worthy of its own discussion. Is Mayweather out of line for his comments? I believe so but I wanted a healthy debate on the topic.

"Jeremy Lin is a good player but all the hype is because he's Asian. Black players do what he does every night and don't get the same praise," Mayweather wrote on his Twitter account on Monday afternoon.

I know very little about Boxing but doesn't Floyd Mayweather have some sort of issue with Manny Pacquiao who is Filipino? Also, Basketball is HUGE in China.

OA SLAY
02-13-2012, 11:54 PM
Floyd is just pissed at Asia as a whole cuz Manny stole his spotlight.
Doing the same thing he did for years but in better fashion.
Now hes gotta wait till his man loving wounds heal before he can fight a juiced up ... (insert derogatory comment here)

OA SLAY
02-13-2012, 11:58 PM
is it me or is Twitter the dumbest isht ever invented?

UPRock
02-14-2012, 12:00 AM
Mayweather hate Asians, not surprised by his comments.

Sota4Ever
02-14-2012, 12:08 AM
This isn't racism. Racism is only when the man suppresses the black man..

Gritz
02-14-2012, 12:13 AM
When him and Lin gonna squabble?

unclekurt2883
02-14-2012, 12:15 AM
who cares what floyd says anyways. he always likes to go yapping his mouth.

OA SLAY
02-14-2012, 12:16 AM
This isn't racism. Racism is only when the man suppresses the black man..

YES! ^^THIS^^
Finally an intelligent post!:clap:

Corey
02-14-2012, 12:17 AM
We've already had threads on this, and they were merged to the Lin thread. Please use that thread to discuss everything Lin-related.

Odominator
02-14-2012, 12:18 AM
Mayweather appears to be bitter about Asians taking his spotlight.

On a similar note, Marcelus Wiley here on ESPN radio in Los Angeles shares the same perspective as FMW regarding Lin. I dont understand what is there to hate about Lin, why can't people like Marcelus Wiley and FMW give the man some ups for breaking a racial barrier in a sport dominated by AAs?