PDA

View Full Version : Dwight Howard Wants to be the Closer

RLundi
02-13-2012, 09:53 AM
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/os-orlando-magic-news-0213-20120212,0,3698573.story

Magic C Dwight Howard says he wants a new role despite his shaky free-throw shooting: Closer.

"I want to become a closer. The only way you get there is by getting the ball and have coach have the confidence in giving me the ball," he told FOX Sports Wisconsin after the Magic's 94-90 win Saturday night in Milwaukee.

Howard had six offensive touches in the final period, although SG Jason Richardson carried the team with his torrid 3-point shooting, scoring 12 points in the fourth.

"That's how Kobe (Bryant) and the rest of the great fourth-quarter players got that way. It's trial and error. When Kobe first got in the league, it took him a while to become the killer he is in the fourth quarter now. That's because he went through that phase where he had to learn what shots to take and just get confidence in taking shots in the fourth quarter.

"That's one thing that I want for myself, so I can become the guy who finishes games for my team. I want to be that guy whose team wants him to close games out for them. Coach just needs to have confidence in me."

I wonder if he knows 40% from the free-throw line isn't a good thing.

theducksmuggler
02-13-2012, 09:58 AM
I dont think he understands having zero offensive moves and shooting 40% from the line automatically makes him a player that you dont want having the ball at the end of games....

oak2455
02-13-2012, 10:02 AM
Big game D12 will fail, put that pansy at the line make him earn it:p

justinnum1
02-13-2012, 10:03 AM
Huge ego on this guy.

ThePooH_1_
02-13-2012, 10:11 AM
Howard is making a show just like Lebron.. Can't wait for "The Decision 2.0" :rolleyes:

LakersKB24
02-13-2012, 10:25 AM
I dont think he understands having zero offensive moves and shooting 40% from the line automatically makes him a player that you dont want having the ball at the end of games....

That and I don't think C is a very good position for a player to be a closer... You have to be able to create your own shot and take and MAKE what the defense is giving you. IMO perimeter players who can both shoot and take it to rim are much better suited for that role. Rose, Wade, Kobe, Melo, Pierce, CP3 just to name a few.

I think it's good that he WANTS to be that kind of player, but as long as he doesn't work on his offense, he shouldn't be the #1 option with the game on the line. A running hookshot as your only real postmove just doesn't get it done.

justinnum1
02-13-2012, 10:38 AM
you cant be a closer if your FT% is below 50

mkdo
02-13-2012, 10:40 AM
this baby really has a huge ego

learn how to shoot and have some post moves. maybe then your coach will have confidence in you. asking him to have confidence when you don't really work on your game is just unfair on your coach.

mkdo
02-13-2012, 10:43 AM
newsflash magic coach stan van gundy fired by management because of not giving dwight "big ego baby" howard the ball with his team down by 3 with 5 seconds to go.

oak2455
02-13-2012, 10:45 AM
Shoot underhand

AKAYaReal
02-13-2012, 10:52 AM
Seems like he will use this as a excuse why he leaves or request a trade by deadline. He has to know teams will just foul him the sec he touches the ball.

rapjuicer06
02-13-2012, 10:55 AM
Dwight...stfu and just play ball

sixer04fan
02-13-2012, 11:04 AM
Well his lack of an offensive game and horrid free throw shooting doesn't exactly make him the obvious choice to be the "closer."

Dade County
02-13-2012, 11:11 AM
smh

b_russ
I hope he's refering to when they're down by 3.

gwrighter
Make 20FT's in a row and then come holler @ us.

oak2455
02-13-2012, 11:13 AM
Make 20FT's in a row and then come holler @ us.

I was thinking 5

UPRock
02-13-2012, 11:21 AM
LOL If he wants to be a closer he should learn how to sink free throws.

Hawkeye15
02-13-2012, 11:44 AM
as said, his limitations on offense as far as creating good looks in that situation, coupled with the fact that he is a complete liability at the free throw line, make being a closer not possible. Just hit the shots you are presented, defend, and rebound Dwight. You are a center who needs a late game shot creator to close.

Sinestro
02-13-2012, 11:51 AM
Oh Dwight...you're so silly

Cal827
02-13-2012, 11:52 AM
With his free throw %, the only thing this ***** willl close is his team's window of opportunity to win. Why won't he just STFU?

KJ21.the.truth
02-13-2012, 12:02 PM
LMAO he can't even close his own damn mouth let alone a game.

xILLN355
02-13-2012, 12:16 PM
he cant lin as the closer

LAKobeBryant
02-13-2012, 12:17 PM
he's becoming a lebron james smh everyone was on his him because of his humour and he just played his heart out and worry about nothing else.

dAngelo
02-13-2012, 12:38 PM
He thinks he's Hakeem just because he worked out with him. Dwight just needs to shut the hell up and play.

LA_Raiders
02-13-2012, 12:38 PM
He should be thinking about playing strong Defence and closing the games that way instead... His Offence Sucks...

Marco22
02-13-2012, 12:39 PM
The way fans overrate this guy, You would figure he would have been the team closer. I watched him last year playing Atlanta in the playoffs and this so called superstar disappeared. I laugh every time somebody says he will be Kobe's replacement!

--23--
02-13-2012, 12:45 PM
this guy is complaining way too much, just shut up and play D12

GoferKing_
02-13-2012, 01:03 PM
Well, how many threads were there titled "Dwight wants ..." about 20?

THE MTL
02-13-2012, 01:05 PM
He cannot be serious. I'm not even talking about his HORRID free throw shooting. But his limited offense. Yes, he has added a nice baby hook but he's not no Ewing, Kareem, or Hakeem.

smith&wesson
02-13-2012, 01:27 PM
he doesnt know what team he wants to play for but he knows he wants to close for that team. despite who may be on it.

move over d.will. super man wants to close the games. good chemistry already.

use to think howard was humble, his ego has been shining through.

MickeyMgl
02-13-2012, 01:42 PM
That and I don't think C is a very good position for a player to be a closer.

Best go-to/closer ever = Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

SpaceJamJordans
02-13-2012, 01:50 PM
trade him for DeAndre and Bledsoe! woooo

Matrix3132
02-13-2012, 01:57 PM
Obviously he has zero post moves/horrible ft shooter but does anyone remember a few weeks ago he was saying how much he'd love to play with Stephen Jackson and he's been going on for years how much he loves playing with Jameer--he proves over and over how much he doesn't know about winning basketball.

BRICKCITYPIMP12
02-13-2012, 02:26 PM
i mean i agree with you guys bout he cant shot free throws and u need that somtimes to be a finisher.
even more so since they would straight hack a d12..lol...but if there is enuff time left and dwill gets him the ball under the basket.. he can dunk and get the and1.

might not make the FT hahaha but can get us 2 easy points with a dunk..we all know he can mos. def. do that...haha

GiantsSwaGG
02-13-2012, 02:29 PM
Im really starting to hats this guy now!

oak2455
02-13-2012, 02:37 PM
Im really starting to hats this guy now!

me too.. I hats him a ton:p

hgtiger32
02-13-2012, 02:40 PM
Howard use to be my favorite player. He's just talking stupid now. Man.

AntiG
02-13-2012, 02:43 PM
he needs to learn how to shoot free throws to accomplish that.

shep33
02-13-2012, 02:49 PM
This guy is annoying

Maddog-99
02-13-2012, 02:50 PM

Yep. I think we need to move the Big Baby nickname.

BTW: Kobe didnt have to learn the confidence part of shooting at the end of games, he just had to learn where & what shots work for him. You either have the confidence (School Yard, Highschool, College, etc) or you dont.

For Howard to be in the league as long as he has & still have no post moves is criminal & speaks volumes to what he is all about.

danniboi168
02-13-2012, 02:50 PM
free throws!!

kozelkid
02-13-2012, 02:54 PM
Sucks for the team he'll be playing for.

RLundi
02-13-2012, 03:12 PM
LMAO he can't even close his own damn mouth let alone a game.

Winner.

Oldmantrash
02-13-2012, 03:30 PM
I'll take him as our closer.

We don't ever get close enough to need a closer now.

Vampirate
02-13-2012, 03:47 PM
Wow 40% free throw shooting? Would you say he's a worse free throw shooter than Shaq?

Chronz
02-13-2012, 03:53 PM
His FT% is below 50%? REALLY?

Chronz
02-13-2012, 03:55 PM
as said, his limitations on offense as far as creating good looks in that situation, coupled with the fact that he is a complete liability at the free throw line, make being a closer not possible. Just hit the shots you are presented, defend, and rebound Dwight. You are a center who needs a late game shot creator to close.
Not really, too many people are making a big deal about his FT%. I think he can get it up to 60%, especially if given a steady dose of touches.

Hawkeye15
02-13-2012, 03:57 PM
Not really, too many people are making a big deal about his FT%. I think he can get it up to 60%, especially if given a steady dose of touches.

I think he could as well. The Magic should have been working on getting him more opportunities a long time ago. His FT% is a liability though in a close game down the stretch. While its not crippling his team (never did Shaq's), its sure not helping. And you know coaches tend to stay away from poor FT shooters who are bigs late in tight situations.

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-13-2012, 04:04 PM
Shaq was never the closer on the Lakers or on any team in his career.

He's just trying to go on the "I don't want to be like Shaq" route, but he's trying too hard to do so and now is sounding plain dumb. Even Shaquille O'Neal was a better free throw shooter than Howard, and Shaq is right, he made them when they count, meaning he would go 5/14 the first 3 qtrs, and then go 6 or 7 out of 8 from the free throw line in the 4th qtr. Dwight is consistently bad in all 4 quarters.

Vampirate
02-13-2012, 04:04 PM
His FT% is below 50%? REALLY?

I just checked his stats, Dwieght's FT% is at .491.

At this rate Dwieght is becoming a joke more and more every time he opens his mouth.

Chronz
02-13-2012, 04:22 PM
I think he could as well. The Magic should have been working on getting him more opportunities a long time ago. His FT% is a liability though in a close game down the stretch. While its not crippling his team (never did Shaq's), its sure not helping. And you know coaches tend to stay away from poor FT shooters who are bigs late in tight situations.

Uhhh if your shooting below 50% your crippling your team, I dont know how you can get around that. To me it comes down to efficiency, time and score, obviously if I need to come back in a hurry or if I need a 3 ASAP I wont go to Dwight, but in terms of closing games out. You can be a bad free throw shooter and STILL be MORE EFFICIENT than most players are in that same situation.

And yes, where he becomes a liability are those rare moments when the game is really tight and the margin for error too small, you cant count on Dwight to hit both his FT's. But what Dwight is asking for is to close games out long before they get to that point, a closer doesnt necessarily have to take the last second shot, and to me the truest sign of a closer is one who can put a team away without needing a last second shot.

Thats what Dwight wants, he wants to be the guy in the final stretch run of the game to decide where the ball gos. If he gets fouled, so long as he makes more than half his free throws, he will be leading what most would deem a "clutch" offensive unit. That is if Dwight can handle the role, if he could he would be Shaq.

Chronz
02-13-2012, 04:24 PM
Shaq was never the closer on the Lakers or on any team in his career.

He's just trying to go on the "I don't want to be like Shaq" route, but he's trying too hard to do so and now is sounding plain dumb. Even Shaquille O'Neal was a better free throw shooter than Howard, and Shaq is right, he made them when they count, meaning he would go 5/14 the first 3 qtrs, and then go 6 or 7 out of 8 from the free throw line in the 4th qtr. Dwight is consistently bad in all 4 quarters.
Not convinced you saw Shaq in LA

D1JM
02-13-2012, 04:34 PM

he has been very consistent the last 6 years on his ft avg

2005 .595
2006 .586
2007 .590
2008 .594
2009 .592
2010 .596

this year .491 . if only he could shoot .67% like he did his rookie year.

Hawkeye15
02-13-2012, 04:36 PM
Uhhh if your shooting below 50% your crippling your team, I dont know how you can get around that. To me it comes down to efficiency, time and score, obviously if I need to come back in a hurry or if I need a 3 ASAP I wont go to Dwight, but in terms of closing games out. You can be a bad free throw shooter and STILL be MORE EFFICIENT than most players are in that same situation.

And yes, where he becomes a liability are those rare moments when the game is really tight and the margin for error too small, you cant count on Dwight to hit both his FT's. But what Dwight is asking for is to close games out long before they get to that point, a closer doesnt necessarily have to take the last second shot, and to me the truest sign of a closer is one who can put a team away without needing a last second shot.

Thats what Dwight wants, he wants to be the guy in the final stretch run of the game to decide where the ball gos. If he gets fouled, so long as he makes more than half his free throws, he will be leading what most would deem a "clutch" offensive unit. That is if Dwight can handle the role, if he could he would be Shaq.

It doesn't cripple your team if they don't give you the ball obviously, though if you are by far and away the teams best player, and they are not capable of giving you the ball late BECAUSE of your liability, it does hurt the team to some degree.

The second paragraph is exactly what I mean, agreed.

I have no problem at all with him saying this, closing a game out can start waaaaaaay before the last minute, and in that scenario, Dwight should be getting the ball. He will either score, or draw a foul (this puts his team in the penalty quicker, so when you avoid him late with a lead, you just put the ball in shooter's hands).

I do think the Magic should have spent time trying to give Dwight far more foul shot opportunities a long time ago, I don't think he would be so awful at them had they done that.

gaughan333
02-13-2012, 04:41 PM
I used to like Howard.

theducksmuggler
02-13-2012, 04:41 PM
Dwight Howards career free throw percentage is 59% Shaqs career free throw percentage was 53%...that's only a 6 percent difference, and Shaqs offensive moves were about 50x better then Dwights and some would say they are exactly the same on the defensive end but I'd give the edge to Dwight on the defensive end...

Hawkeye15
02-13-2012, 04:45 PM
Dwight Howards career free throw percentage is 59% Shaqs career free throw percentage was 53%...that's only a 6 percent difference, and Shaqs offensive moves were about 50x better then Dwights and some would say they are exactly the same on the defensive end but I'd give the edge to Dwight on the defensive end...

Dwight is still easily the most efficient scorer on the Magic, so he should be getting the ball all the time.

Abdul Mutalib
02-13-2012, 05:12 PM
well yea the consensus here is clear: if you can't make free throws then thats a pretty huge downfall to being a closer and on top of that his post moves are pretty weak. So opposing teams could just use the "hack-a-shaq" approach @ the end of games if he would have the ball in his hands down the stretch. i hope he does go to nj w/ d.will and form knicks 2.0 aka epic disgrace (i.e. linsanity)

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-13-2012, 05:14 PM
Not convinced you saw Shaq in LA

:laugh2:Trust me, I follow Lakers basketball religiously for 25 yrs.

Okay, 7/8 is a stretch. Maybe 5/8. But at the end of the games, when Shaq would get hacked, someway somehow Shaq would convert more often than not. Can't really say that about Dwight.

dtmagnet
02-13-2012, 05:14 PM
It really is official now, Dwight Howard is dumber than Javale Mcgee. I didn't think it was possible but he proved me wrong.

RickyRubio
02-13-2012, 05:17 PM
I LOVE that Dwight wants to be the closer .. he should be, he is the most dominant big man in the game by far and it isn't even close. With that being said he has to understand his post game is pitiful and his free throw % is absolutely embarassing .. Develop a game and learn how to shoot, you should be able to easily average 30 and 15 Mr. Howard.

theducksmuggler
02-13-2012, 05:44 PM
Dwight is still easily the most efficient scorer on the Magic, so he should be getting the ball all the time.

I can't disagree that he is the most efficient scorer on the Magic but saying he should be getting the ball all the time I can't agree with you. If I'm an opposing coach and say we are up 3 points with about 30-45 seconds and dwight gets the ball I'm telling my players to foul right away put him on the line and heck I may even foul him if they have the ball within 24 seconds and my team is 2 points, I'm not letting him back down my guy in the post I'm saying foul him and if does nail both of them I take that mistake as the coach...buts that's just me we all have extremely different opinions on this website.

justinnum1
02-13-2012, 05:46 PM
Now that whole kobe thing makes sense...if howard was telling kobe he would want to be closer on the lakers, i dont blame kobe for saying what he did. Dwight is high off his ***

Chronz
02-13-2012, 11:10 PM
well yea the consensus here is clear: if you can't make free throws then thats a pretty huge downfall to being a closer and on top of that his post moves are pretty weak. So opposing teams could just use the "hack-a-shaq" approach @ the end of games if he would have the ball in his hands down the stretch. i hope he does go to nj w/ d.will and form knicks 2.0 aka epic disgrace (i.e. linsanity)
Hack a Dwight will result in 1PPP. Care to guess what the average rate of success is in the clutch?
Sure in the situations you describe where you absolutely need a bucket hes not the best option, but closing games isnt limited to just the last few possessions, but the final stretch. Pretty much he wants more 4th quarter touches in general. If Dwight is saying he wants the ball in the final possession of a game thats beyond 1PT, then hes nuts.

But being a closer isnt limited to good free throw shooters.

oak2455
02-13-2012, 11:59 PM
Now that whole kobe thing makes sense...if howard was telling kobe he would want to be closer on the lakers, i dont blame kobe for saying what he did. Dwight is high off his ***

this is very true makes too much sense:clap:

Cano-Montero...
02-14-2012, 12:14 AM
LOL...Gotta make your free throws 1st dwight..

conway429
02-14-2012, 12:44 AM
pretty sure he knows he's not a good free throw shooter, and he couldn't possibly mean he wants the final shot.
but outside of the final 24 seconds, he's got a point. he should be taking games over in the last 5 minutes.
close to 60% FG, even with 50% FT, throw in a couple and-1's, that's well over a point per possession.