PDA

View Full Version : Kobe: I'll Be The Closer On Team USA 2012

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-13-2012, 03:33 AM
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/02/12/kobe-bryant-not-on-his-last-shot-yet/

When asked if his role on the 2012 U.S. Olympic team would be any different than in 2008, he shook his head.

“On that team? Nah, I’m the closer, man,” Bryant said. “They just bring me in in the last two minutes or something like that. If they need me. That’s what I do. LeBron, D-Wade, Durant, all those guys, they can do the heavy lifting.”

VRP723
02-13-2012, 03:35 AM
Lol can he just shut the hell up

Dramedy
02-13-2012, 03:50 AM
Well they all deferred to him in '08 and it's not like LeBron or Wade has done anything since to prove that they deserve that role, Kobe's playing as well as ever and he should be the closer.

Mcdoh
02-13-2012, 04:04 AM
well i dont see this as a negative one.. i think its more of letting the one youngs take over.. and he can come off the bench and have less minute..

ThunderousDemon
02-13-2012, 04:16 AM
The passing of the torch, time for Troy Murphy to become the Lakers number one option

ThunderousDemon
02-13-2012, 04:17 AM

Is that you on your sig?

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-13-2012, 04:20 AM
The passing of the torch, time for Troy Murphy to become the Lakers number one option

:worthy:

shep33
02-13-2012, 04:34 AM
He closed out Spain in 2008, he and Wade really. He was pretty damn good last olympics, we put him on the opposing team's best player and he typically shut whoever he was guarding down.

How badly I want to see a lineup of:

Wade
Kobe
Durant
LBJ
Howard

LBJ running point and guarding the 4 spot.

VRP723
02-13-2012, 04:36 AM
Is that you on your sig?

My little brother

D1JM
02-13-2012, 04:41 AM
kobe lost a step or two since 2008 however he isn't no fisher. fisher :facepalm:

Ebbs
02-13-2012, 04:42 AM
I hope he gets cut

naps
02-13-2012, 04:46 AM
At the 2008 Olympics, the United States went unbeaten and earned gold medal honors, defeating the 2006 World Champion Spain in the final game. Wade led the team in scoring throughout the tournament and tallied a game high 27 points in 27 minutes on 75% field goal shooting and added 4 steals, 2 assists and 2 rebounds in the game.[83] For the tournament, he averaged a team high 16 points in 18 minutes on 67% field goal shooting, 4 rebounds, 2 assists and 2.3 steals, as the United States lived up to their Redeem Team moniker and captured gold medal honors for the first time since 2000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwyane_Wade

Thank you moniker Wade. The country is looking forward to you once again. Bring us the gold one more time.

Odominator
02-13-2012, 04:51 AM
could be helpful in teh final 2 minutes.

Kaspa
02-13-2012, 05:00 AM
Funny, I've been a basketball fan since 1980 and I've seen alot of greats come and go...

I watched the great Michael Jordan's career from the begining to the end and everyone said..."there will never be another Jordan" and treated him like a God.

Along comes Kobe, he's the closest possible replica of Michael Jordan short of 1 ring and yet he's one of the most hated individuals in sports???

I hate alot of things and honestly...I can't stand most people period, but one thing I always respect is Excellence and wheather you love him or hate him Kobe Bryant has accomplished just that!

You can hate the man...but respect his game people.

JC_
02-13-2012, 05:09 AM

That's cool that he's confident but why would you say that kind of **** out loud? Unless he was just joking around.

Bruno
02-13-2012, 05:27 AM
Funny, I've been a basketball fan since 1980 and I've seen alot of greats come and go...

I watched the great Michael Jordan's career from the begining to the end and everyone said..."there will never be another Jordan" and treated him like a God.

Along comes Kobe, he's the closest possible replica of Michael Jordan short of 1 ring and yet he's one of the most hated individuals in sports???

I hate alot of things and honestly...I can't stand most people period, but one thing I always respect is Excellence and wheather you love him or hate him Kobe Bryant has accomplished just that!

Kobe won't get his due until he's retired.

he's a laker, he's been accused of rape, and destroying a dynasty. many will hold onto that forever. I feel like 80% have given him his due since his second finals MVP. the minority continues to expose their bias. that perspective will only grow more credibility-crunching as time goes on.

a lot of people are just incapable of basing their opinions on his games, rather than the rhetoric of his fans.

jam
02-13-2012, 05:28 AM
It's not just the end goal but the journey one takes along the way.

Kobe pissed off every one of his teammates with his arrogance and embarrassing shot selection. He drove Phil Jax to near physical ruin with his inability to even fathom the notion of team play. From day one Kobe displayed an egomaniacal and sociopathic inability to connect with anyone on his team on an emotional level.

It's one thing to respect someone's professional skills. It's another thing to be completely silent about the fact that Kobe basically **** upon everyone he encountered along the way.

Kobe demands respect, but he has no respect for anyone else. Just ask his wife, for starters.

DodgerLove
02-13-2012, 05:38 AM
Is that you on your sig?

My little brother

lol

amos1er
02-13-2012, 05:46 AM

Well said. :clap:

amos1er
02-13-2012, 05:51 AM

Kobe pissed off every one of his teammates with his arrogance and embarrassing shot selection. He drove Phil Jax to near physical ruin with his inability to even fathom the notion of team play. From day one Kobe displayed an egomaniacal and sociopathic inability to connect with anyone on his team on an emotional level.

It's one thing to respect someone's professional skills. It's another thing to be completely silent about the fact that Kobe basically **** upon everyone he encountered along the way.

Kobe demands respect, but he has no respect for anyone else. Just ask his wife, for starters.

You honestly sound like such a hater bro. All that poster was saying, is that even if you don't like Kobe as a human being, which you have the right to, anyone who enjoys the game of basketball should be able to respect his ability and his game.

I don't really think that Kobe crapped on everyone along the way either, Phil Jackson holds him in very high regard, and so does Shaq. If he was really as bad as you were making him out to be, both Phil and Shaq would not consider him one of the best to play the game...both have mad respect for him. I don't understand why you a spectator can't respect him when nearly all of the NBA past and present do.

Patman
02-13-2012, 06:00 AM

he's a laker, he's been accused of rape, and destroying a dynasty. many will hold onto that forever. I feel like 80% have given him his due since his second finals MVP. the minority continues to expose their bias. that perspective will only grow more credibility-crunching as time goes on.

a lot of people are just incapable of basing their opinions on his games, rather than the rhetoric of his fans.

Look I hate the guy since he's a laker but i respect his game, the guy has an incredible game and still is very good after that milage.

The doesn't change that his clutchness is highly overblown . His % on game winner and clutch shots is nothing to write home about. The Lakers were one of the worst teams in the last 5 minutes of close games the last few years.

The Game against Toronto was a good example of what he's doing wrong, no one talks about that if he had played good ball before the last minute the Lakers wouldn't be down 4 and Kobe wouldn't have ot take a game winner....

naps
02-13-2012, 06:18 AM

Easily the post of the thread.

Kobe has always been a "me-first" guy. The teams he has played for should have won 9/10 championships if not for his selfishness. Who would have thought he would shoot 25 times a game at age 33 when he has 2 of the best bigmen on the planet?

kArSoN RyDaH
02-13-2012, 07:18 AM
"People make it sound like Kobe is automatic at the end of games, but he isn’t. He never was. He just wasn’t afraid to take the shot, again and again. His hero-ball ways have lost as many games as they’ve won, but he remains unafraid.

And as he ages, and moves further away from the basket, it’s all harder. On this afternoon, it worked. On another night, it won’t. Kobe Bryant is holding off time, throwing his shoulder into its chest, creating space with footwork, elevating even as gravity pulls him down. Kobe Bryant’s last shot is coming, but it’s not here yet."

Favorite part of the article. It's what separates Kobe Bryant from everyone else.

Bruno
02-13-2012, 07:24 AM
Kobe has always been a "me-first" guy. The teams he has played for should have won 9/10 championships if not for his selfishness. Who would have thought he would shoot 25 times a game at age 33 when he has 2 of the best bigmen on the planet?

Shaq coming into camp thirty pounds over-weight, publicly humiliating Dr. Buss, and demanding 30 million dollars a year as 32 year old makes Bryant the solely-responsible, singularly selfish player of the dynasty? There plenty of blame to go around.

In 2011, Gasol and Bynum combined for 21.3 FGA per game.
In 2012, Gasol and Bynum combine for 25.7 FGA per game.
As a duo, they're shooting 4.4 more times per game than they did last season.

Bryants extra field goal attempts are not coming at the expense of field goal attempts from the bigs. Bynum is averaging a career high in FGA, and Gasol is only 0.4 beneath his career average. Bryants extra FGAs are coming at the expense of the bench, and the starting PG/SF positions, which are both amongst the worst in the league.

He shoots 24 times a game, not 25. :)

quade36
02-13-2012, 09:56 AM
Anytime someone says something negative about Kobe Bryant they are deemed a hater. Even if they provide stats as evidence. I actually think its the other way around. I think the defenders of Kobe are louder than anyone else. They are out to prove he is the greatest ever and get extremely upset if someone disagrees, again even if they provide stats to prove it. I would say about 95% of Kobe haters respect his game and think he is a great player, just not the best, nor near the best (stats don't lie.) Therefore, they are deemed haters. This has been going on for the 7 years I've been on this forum. Look, rings are not a good comparison to Jordan. Robert Horry and Steve Kerr each have 5 rings, should they be labelled as the greatest? Overall stats, specifically EWA, are a great comparison. Based on those stats, Kobe is a great player just not near Jordan and Russell. Oops, I guess I am a hater even though I definitely think he is in the top 10 in the history of the game...

CostanzaNumba0
02-13-2012, 10:29 AM

Kobe is nowhere near as good as Jordan

jp611
02-13-2012, 10:31 AM

This

Greet
02-13-2012, 10:34 AM

Here's the thing. You can respect Kobe as a player as he deserves, but he will never be respected as a person.

Hustla23
02-13-2012, 11:07 AM
Is he asking to only play 2 minutes a game?

gwrighter
02-13-2012, 11:09 AM
He's right. In 2008 Kobe was the one hitting and-1 threes when USA needed it.

Dade County
02-13-2012, 11:23 AM
Kobe is nowhere near as good as Jordan

Thank You ....

And if he has this kind of attitude, they should think twice about putting him on the team (but he might of been joking)

I would rather have Wade, KD or Melo with the ball in their hands in the last 2min. If Kobe was still young, then yes everyone get out the way, but thats not the case.

Kobe should have the jason kid role of the team now (but he can still do a lot more in short burst)

Raidaz4Life
02-13-2012, 11:27 AM
I would like this.... keep Kobe fresh until the end of the game then let him go nuts.

LA_Raiders
02-13-2012, 11:35 AM
lol, Agree. He is the Man...

todu82
02-13-2012, 11:48 AM
Yeah, like Kobe or not there's no denying his talent. He'd be a good fit no matter his role on Team USA 2012.

Sota4Ever
02-13-2012, 11:49 AM
Kobe will never have the Jason kidd role for the Olympics. That is just dumb and there is no way wade should have the ball over Wade that is just pure homerism to say that. I can see Durant and Melo but no way Wade.

Hawkeye15
02-13-2012, 11:52 AM
Kobe will never have the Jason kidd role for the Olympics. That is just dumb and there is no way wade should have the ball over Wade that is just pure homerism to say that. I can see Durant and Melo but no way Wade.

Wade was probably our best offensive player the last time around, Kobe right there with him. I don't think with a team loaded with great players, there needs to be a designated "closer", whatever the hell that means. Go at the hot hand and/or the best matchup.

Avenged
02-13-2012, 11:55 AM
If he is going to play the last 2 mins of a game against international competition to close, then this shouldn't be a problem for anyone. He'll be fresh & ready to go.

Heediot
02-13-2012, 12:03 PM
Anytime someone says something negative about Kobe Bryant they are deemed a hater. Even if they provide stats as evidence. I actually think its the other way around. I think the defenders of Kobe are louder than anyone else. They are out to prove he is the greatest ever and get extremely upset if someone disagrees, again even if they provide stats to prove it. I would say about 95% of Kobe haters respect his game and think he is a great player, just not the best, nor near the best (stats don't lie.) Therefore, they are deemed haters. This has been going on for the 7 years I've been on this forum. Look, rings are not a good comparison to Jordan. Robert Horry and Steve Kerr each have 5 rings, should they be labelled as the greatest? Overall stats, specifically EWA, are a great comparison. Based on those stats, Kobe is a great player just not near Jordan and Russell. Oops, I guess I am a hater even though I definitely think he is in the top 10 in the history of the game...

$$$$

Heediot
02-13-2012, 12:04 PM
Wade was probably our best offensive player the last time around, Kobe right there with him. I don't think with a team loaded with great players, there needs to be a designated "closer", whatever the hell that means. Go at the hot hand and/or the best matchup.

You could also make the case for Melo as the best offensive player for the USA. Either of the three is good.

Greet
02-13-2012, 12:04 PM

Marshon Brooks should be taking the last shot

Hawkeye15
02-13-2012, 12:09 PM
You could also make the case for Melo as the best offensive player for the USA. Either of the three is good.

Melo, Durant, Rose at that point. Whichever scorer has a good matchup, and whatever play we can get running to get our scorers the best looks. The last thing you need is someone going 1-5 with all that talent.

Sinestro
02-13-2012, 12:09 PM
Meh Kobe shouldn't be stating this so confidently kind of puts everyone else beneath him, it would have been better if he said he's not scared to be the closer instead of the idea that he SHOULD be the closer

Sinestro
02-13-2012, 12:11 PM
Melo, Durant, Rose at that point. Whichever scorer has a good matchup, and whatever play we can get running to get our scorers the best looks. The last thing you need is someone going 1-5 with all that talent.

Agreed I'd love to see them play some team ball

xILLN355
02-13-2012, 12:15 PM
of course he'll be the closer lol

Da Knicks
02-13-2012, 12:30 PM
i think melo will be the closer followed by wade, sorry kobe.

nickdymez
02-13-2012, 12:33 PM
kobe lost a step or two since 2008 however he isn't no fisher. fisher :facepalm:

How could you prove that? His numbers are about the same

nickdymez
02-13-2012, 12:36 PM
Meh Kobe shouldn't be stating this so confidently kind of puts everyone else beneath him, it would have been better if he said he's not scared to be the closer instead of the idea that he SHOULD be the closer

Everyone else is beneath him on that team. What has anyone else accomplished on that team close to Kobe?

curtcocaine
02-13-2012, 12:38 PM

Mad cause he aint got 1! :clap:

Sinestro
02-13-2012, 12:57 PM
Everyone else is beneath him on that team. What has anyone else accomplished on that team close to Kobe?

lmao seriously? Kobe is heading towards the end of his career, LeBron,Dwight, Wade, Melo are in their prime and Rose and Durant are starting to hit their prime who says one of them doesn't accomplish more in the next 8 years? I got nothing but respect for Kobe and he can say all he wants on the Lakers but when he is with Team USA its about the team not the individual

Hawkeye15
02-13-2012, 12:59 PM
How could you prove that? His numbers are about the same

Well, he doesn't get nearly as many shots at the rim or have the same foul draw rate as a few years back. He has lost a step, but he is still athletic enough to get it done with craftiness. And don't forget, he is leading the league in usage, again, and just shoots a ton.

Kobe is having one of the slowest declines I can think of. Its barely noticeable.

Sactown
02-13-2012, 01:00 PM
You honestly sound like such a hater bro. All that poster was saying, is that even if you don't like Kobe as a human being, which you have the right to, anyone who enjoys the game of basketball should be able to respect his ability and his game.

I don't really think that Kobe crapped on everyone along the way either, Phil Jackson holds him in very high regard, and so does Shaq. If he was really as bad as you were making him out to be, both Phil and Shaq would not consider him one of the best to play the game...both have mad respect for him. I don't understand why you a spectator can't respect him when nearly all of the NBA past and present do.

And with that said, I don't recall Phil ever going to the owner in Chicago and demanding they trade MJ...

Also Kobe hasn't achieved anything close to what Jordan has lol
Jordan was the clear #1 on his team in all 6 titles...

Kobe has only won 2 as the number one option...

Kobe 1 MVP Jordan 5 MVP's...
Even if Kobe passes MJ in all time points, he's already played so many more games than Jordan that it wouldn't even matter... career PPG OF 30.1 ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? Yeah... not even close to the same player

John Walls Era
02-13-2012, 01:00 PM
There goes team chemistry.

Hawkeye15
02-13-2012, 01:01 PM
And with that said, I don't recall Phil ever going to the owner in Chicago and demanding they trade MJ...

Even if Kobe passes MJ in all time points, he's already played so many more games than Jordan that it wouldn't even matter... career PPG OF 30.1 ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? Yeah... not even close to the same player

Don't get sucked into this. As great as Kobe's career is, there isn't even a remote possibility of him catching Jordan.

whitemamba33
02-13-2012, 01:02 PM
Here's the thing. You can respect Kobe as a player as he deserves, but he will never be respected as a person.

....so what?

In case you haven't noticed, the combination of great player/great person is VERY difficult to find.

Muhamed Ali: cheated on his wife and has multiple children from extramarital relationships.

Micky Mantle: showed up to his retirement ceremony with both his wife AND his mistress.

Michael Jordan: Cheated on his wife and paid to keep the other woman quiet. Gambling problems. Multiple incidents with his teammates including punching Steve Kerr in the eye.

Charles Barkley: Drunk driving, cheating, gambling.

Wilt Chamberlain: 20,000 women.

Michael Phelps: driving while impaired, using a bong got him suspended from his swimming team for 3 months.

Bill Russell: Refusing to sign autographs for white children.

Magic Johnson: Unprotected sex with a large number of women.

Karl Malone: This guy's personal life is a mess.

Dwayne Wade: cheated.

Tiger Woods: ...

...I could go on all day..but I think the point is pretty clear. If you are looking to respect athletes personally without knowing them personally, you are an idiot.

Sactown
02-13-2012, 01:05 PM
Don't get sucked into this. As great as Kobe's career is, there isn't even a remote possibility of him catching Jordan.

Nobody is listening anyways hahah. Also another reason Jordan was harder to bash is because everything he said was practically run by NIKE. I can't imagine Jordan saying the things Kobe does to the press while he was playing

Zefflin
02-13-2012, 01:05 PM
Haha at the haters, Kobe saying it like it is, as usual. And the the dude up there who said, "there goes team chemistry." You know your basketball well...derr.

Hawkeye15
02-13-2012, 01:07 PM
....so what?

In case you haven't noticed, the combination of great player/great person is VERY difficult to find.

Muhamed Ali: cheated on his wife and has multiple children from extramarital relationships.

Micky Mantle: showed up to his retirement ceremony with both his wife AND his mistress.

Michael Jordan: Cheated on his wife and paid to keep the other woman quiet. Gambling problems. Multiple incidents with his teammates including punching Steve Kerr in the eye.

Charles Barkley: Drunk driving, cheating, gambling.

Wilt Chamberlain: 20,000 women.

Michael Phelps: driving while impaired, using a bong got him suspended from his swimming team for 3 months.

Bill Russell: Refusing to sign autographs for white children.

Magic Johnson: Unprotected sex with a large number of women.

Karl Malone: This guy's personal life is a mess.

Dwayne Wade: cheated.

Tiger Woods: ...

...I could go on all day..but I think the point is pretty clear. If you are looking to respect athletes personally without knowing them personally, you are an idiot.

For sure man. Obviously the media over the past 10 years is a TON larger and more invasive than when those players were at the height of their popularity, so its even more in your face now, but the list is forever long on character flaws of our favorite athletes.

sixer04fan
02-13-2012, 01:09 PM
Well that team isn't going to need a closer when they are beating every team by at least 30 points.

smith&wesson
02-13-2012, 01:23 PM
Atleast he accepts a role. only if iverson learned how to do that.

SaimuKala
02-13-2012, 01:46 PM
Well that team isn't going to need a closer when they are beating every team by at least 30 points.

Exactly

BKdoubleStacker
02-13-2012, 02:37 PM

not even close to the same player? lol

I dont think anyone has said that kobe is on jordans level, but he is the closest thing to jordan, afterall he is the 2nd best SG of all time.

You just sound like a mad bitter kings fan

Fnom11
02-13-2012, 02:39 PM
If Bosh taps into that defensive monster he was last time around, Wade Kobe Durant Bron Bosh would be an insane late game lineup. Everyone can hit the free throw(sorry Dwight), hit the mid range, take it to the rim, and hit a 3(except for Wade, although I don't remember how far Euro 3).

Hawkeye15
02-13-2012, 02:46 PM
I would expect Kevin Love to actually get a fair amount of minutes in the Olympics this year.

BSardogan
02-13-2012, 02:52 PM
Realistically, he's the most experienced and most clutch player on the team. It'd be ridiculous to not let him take that last shot if necessary. However, I hope other guys on that team realize Kobe has a certain ego (which he has all the right to have) and have to accept that even if they have some crazy 70-point game, Kobe is still going to demand that final ball.

I know for a fact that guys like LeBron or Rose respect Kobe a lot and won't have any hard feelings in case he did take a game-winner and missed it. But it's the other ego's on that team I'm worried about. Let's take Dwight as an example. The dude, no matter how much I respect him, has developed this crazy level of self-esteem ever since he's about to become a free-agent. It seems as if he feels like he has certain rights and priviliges compared to others on his team, demanding final shots even though he can't even hit half his shots on the free-throw line... Not sure how that's going to be when he's going to be with Team USA, I hope that by then he'll realized it's not all about Mr. Dwight when he's with other superstars, and that guys like Kobe will take more (big) shots than you, whether you like it or not.

Hawkeye15
02-13-2012, 03:04 PM
You run the play Coach K draws up. We will have plenty of guys who are "clutch" on the roster.

BSardogan
02-13-2012, 03:20 PM
You run the play Coach K draws up. We will have plenty of guys who are "clutch" on the roster.

Implying you feel like anyone on that team would get picked over Kobe for the game winning shot? If so, who would that be?

Thegame187
02-13-2012, 03:28 PM

Being a rapist never helps u get fans

Hawkeye15
02-13-2012, 03:40 PM
Implying you feel like anyone on that team would get picked over Kobe for the game winning shot? If so, who would that be?

Implying why the hell would you run isolations with a roster with multiple scorers on the floor at all times? You stand a MUCH better chance of hitting a shot late off executing a play and getting a shooter/scorer in stride instead of isolating a guy for no reason. Durant, Melo, LeBron, Wade, and Rose are a bit better than Gasol, Bynum, Metta, or Fisher at scoring the ball.

BSardogan
02-13-2012, 03:53 PM
Implying why the hell would you run isolations with a roster with multiple scorers on the floor at all times? You stand a MUCH better chance of hitting a shot late off executing a play and getting a shooter/scorer in stride instead of isolating a guy for no reason. Durant, Melo, LeBron, Wade, and Rose are a bit better than Gasol, Bynum, Metta, or Fisher at scoring the ball.

I'm not saying that isolating and hoping someone will hit a contested fader is the best option you have with 3 seconds left.. Not at all. I only said Kobe will most likely get the ball anyways, even if they'd run a play, I expect Kobe to be the person taking the shot and I am curious how others on that team will react to not getting the ball on a decisive play.

Again, I wasn't mentioning anything about isolating anyone, but to the fact that you know there's difference between ranks amonst players and Kobe will most likely be the person with the most credit, thefore the go-to go in the clutch. Also, I can't imagine any coach passing by on a play for him, even if only for his reputation and his history of late-game winners.

Fnom11
02-13-2012, 03:58 PM
Realistically, he's the most experienced and most clutch player on the team. It'd be ridiculous to not let him take that last shot if necessary. However, I hope other guys on that team realize Kobe has a certain ego (which he has all the right to have) and have to accept that even if they have some crazy 70-point game, Kobe is still going to demand that final ball.

I know for a fact that guys like LeBron or Rose respect Kobe a lot and won't have any hard feelings in case he did take a game-winner and missed it. But it's the other ego's on that team I'm worried about. Let's take Dwight as an example. The dude, no matter how much I respect him, has developed this crazy level of self-esteem ever since he's about to become a free-agent. It seems as if he feels like he has certain rights and priviliges compared to others on his team, demanding final shots even though he can't even hit half his shots on the free-throw line... Not sure how that's going to be when he's going to be with Team USA, I hope that by then he'll realized it's not all about Mr. Dwight when he's with other superstars, and that guys like Kobe will take more (big) shots than you, whether you like it or not.

No?

BSardogan
02-13-2012, 04:06 PM
No?

:o

OK. Your strong way of putting arguments has convinced me. I was wrong. Will you, please, forgive me?

Hawkeye15
02-13-2012, 04:09 PM
I'm not saying that isolating and hoping someone will hit a contested fader is the best option you have with 3 seconds left.. Not at all. I only said Kobe will most likely get the ball anyways, even if they'd run a play, I expect Kobe to be the person taking the shot and I am curious how others on that team will react to not getting the ball on a decisive play.

Again, I wasn't mentioning anything about isolating anyone, but to the fact that you know there's difference between ranks amonst players and Kobe will most likely be the person with the most credit, thefore the go-to go in the clutch. Also, I can't imagine any coach passing by on a play for him, even if only for his reputation and his history of late-game winners.

Actually you would be much better off running a play for Melo to get it off some screens and moving, he hits a WAY higher percentage in those last second situations than Kobe does in motion or in isolation.

My only point is, you go to whichever matchup or option you get. There is absolutely no need to forcefeed the ball to 1 player on a team loaded with highly efficient scorers.

BSardogan
02-13-2012, 04:13 PM
Actually you would be much better off running a play for Melo to get it off some screens and moving, he hits a WAY higher percentage in those last second situations than Kobe does in motion or in isolation.

My only point is, you go to whichever matchup or option you get. There is absolutely no need to forcefeed the ball to 1 player on a team loaded with highly efficient scorers.

True. It does however still not change the fact that Kobe will most likely get the ball anyways. Carmelo might have hit a higher % of clutch shots, Kobe has by now probably more taken last second shots than some guys have taken regular shots in their NBA careers. You have to keep in mind that reputation plays a role, and Kobe (rightfully) has a lot more of that than any other person on that team as of now, therefore I can't see coach passing by on him.

amos1er
02-13-2012, 05:07 PM

WOW you are ridiculous. Who even brought up MJ? I was talking about respecting what Kobe has done with his career and to stop hating on him and you go and bring up MJ? Talk about the straw man argument. :rolleyes: This has nothing to do with MJ it has to do with people respecting skill and talent despite how a person acts off the court.

Hawkeye15
02-13-2012, 05:10 PM
True. It does however still not change the fact that Kobe will most likely get the ball anyways. Carmelo might have hit a higher % of clutch shots, Kobe has by now probably more taken last second shots than some guys have taken regular shots in their NBA careers. You have to keep in mind that reputation plays a role, and Kobe (rightfully) has a lot more of that than any other person on that team as of now, therefore I can't see coach passing by on him.

Meh, we can agree to disagree. Coach K thinks like a college coach, and will run plays designed to get the optimal shot depending on time allowed. I doubt they forcefeed anyone when he has so many players who are capable of hitting shots in those situations.

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-13-2012, 05:16 PM

But Coach K has a major man crush on Kobe :p

In fact, wanted to recruit Kobe to Duke and was thinking of the Lakers head coaching job in 04 when Phil first left.

kenzo400
02-13-2012, 05:28 PM

He has to realize that he doesn't have the same support from the international referees as he does from nba refs.

lakers4sho
02-13-2012, 05:48 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwyane_Wade

Thank you moniker Wade. The country is looking forward to you once again. Bring us the gold one more time.

Please do not use words you don't know the meaning of.

BSardogan
02-13-2012, 06:13 PM
But Coach K has a major man crush on Kobe :p

In fact, wanted to recruit Kobe to Duke and was thinking of the Lakers head coaching job in 04 when Phil first left.

Finally. I was hoping for a Laker to help me out on this one. Well, Hawkeye, there you have it :p

AIRMAR72
02-13-2012, 06:14 PM
the CLOSER lol he(kobe) stink'up team with that selfish wanna be mike style that guy kobe is finish

Hawkeye15
02-13-2012, 06:22 PM
Finally. I was hoping for a Laker to help me out on this one. Well, Hawkeye, there you have it :p

that means little to me. If the idea is to forcefeed Kobe late in games, I don't want him going. We have THE best scorers in the NBA on our roster. No need to force it to one guy when at least 3-4 at any given point can make shots in those situations as well.

Anyway, Kobe being Kobe, which is why he is the player he is, but I will be disappointed if we run that team like an NBA team. That is how we got our *** whupped in the first place prior to the last time around.

MickeyMgl
02-13-2012, 06:37 PM
That's cool that he's confident but why would you say that kind of **** out loud? Unless he was just joking around.

I agree, but I'm thinking maybe he thought of it as him deferring to those others by saying they could do the "heavy lifting" (statistically, I guess).

Robbw241
02-13-2012, 06:41 PM
Lin for closer, screw Kobe.

BradfordIsElite
02-13-2012, 06:52 PM
WELP, cant really argue there Kobe..

Gotta follow the system.

BradfordIsElite
02-13-2012, 07:22 PM
the CLOSER lol he(kobe) stink'up team with that selfish wanna be mike style that guy kobe is finish

I'm gonna retype your post in English.

The closer? lol Kobe would stink that team up with his 'selfish, "wanna be like Mike" style'. He's finished....

Now for the reply to your post,
The USA team will be filled with stars who are used to taking most of the shots for their team and are at most times depended on most for making big plays late in the game to either comeback or hold the lead. Kobe isn't the only player on the roster who can be critized for taking bad shots or just too many, each of them have had there good moments and bad moments. For one thing, if you actually watch the sport, you'd be able to acknowledge by now that cleary he is not done. Not even close. Obviously out of the great players on the USA roster, it's unlikely you'll see him racking up the most minutes and putting up the most points every night. Like he stated, "they'll look to me to close them out".. that is because he's still the most feared man in the game down the stretch and no superstar in the league is going to try and take him up on that. Not Kobe. If he were retired, it'd be completely up in the air with LeBron as the one everyone else would try and show up. In his earlier days, he'd be looked at as the clear leader of the team, no questions would be asked.

JasonJohnHorn
02-13-2012, 07:30 PM
He'll probably be the team's biggest chucker. Closer? If they play to their full potential the games should be closed after the first quarter.

C-Style
02-13-2012, 08:29 PM
Id rather give him the ball instead of Wade, Lebron or any player from the Kings

0nekhmer
02-13-2012, 08:53 PM
ehh i like kobe but i didn't like the last part when he said "they can do all the heavy lifting"
makes them sound like blue collar guys while he's in his mighty seat

MickeyMgl
02-13-2012, 09:28 PM
Shaq coming into camp thirty pounds over-weight, publicly humiliating Dr. Buss, and demanding 30 million dollars a year as 32 year old makes Bryant the solely-responsible, singularly selfish player of the dynasty? There plenty of blame to go around.

In 2011, Gasol and Bynum combined for 21.3 FGA per game.
In 2012, Gasol and Bynum combine for 25.7 FGA per game.
As a duo, they're shooting 4.4 more times per game than they did last season.

Bryants extra field goal attempts are not coming at the expense of field goal attempts from the bigs. Bynum is averaging a career high in FGA, and Gasol is only 0.4 beneath his career average. Bryants extra FGAs are coming at the expense of the bench, and the starting PG/SF positions, which are both amongst the worst in the league.

He shoots 24 times a game, not 25. :)

Some of the difference is also the added minutes. Per 36 minutes, Bryant is shooting 1.4 more shots than last season. Most of his detractors haven't a clue what they're talking about.

MickeyMgl
02-13-2012, 09:29 PM
He'll probably be the team's biggest chucker. Closer? If they play to their full potential the games should be closed after the first quarter.

OK, somebody didn't watch any of the last Olympic tournament.

ManRam
02-13-2012, 09:31 PM
haha. oh boy...

always putting the team first!

hero-mode, regardless of who's playing the hero, is some stupid late minute offense. kobe's hero-mode has not worked well at all lately.

LAKobeBryant
02-13-2012, 09:34 PM
LOOOOL an you imagine bryant not play any game except when its a close game in the 4th , he subs in. Thats too funny man

KNICKS R BACK
02-13-2012, 09:39 PM
this guy has spent his whole life trying to be another man...he tries to walk, talk, play, and model his maneurisms after michael jordan...but there is one huge difference...jordan never had to say anything like this...it was automatically assumed he was the closer...kobe goes out of his way to make sure he's the center of attention...jordan was just automatically the center of attention...while kobe is one hell of a basketball player and one of the greatest of all time, i will never fully respect him because he isnt his own man

Lakeshow24KB
02-13-2012, 09:51 PM
this guy has spent his whole life trying to be another man...he tries to walk, talk, play, and model his maneurisms after michael jordan...but there is one huge difference...jordan never had to say anything like this...it was automatically assumed he was the closer...kobe goes out of his way to make sure he's the center of attention...jordan was just automatically the center of attention...while kobe is one hell of a basketball player and one of the greatest of all time, i will never fully respect him because he isnt his own man

First of all, Kobe was asked about it, he didn't just come out of the blue and say it for no reason. Second of all, you're saying that Kobe doesn't back up his play? I am sorry but I'm pretty sure that when Kobe says something, he does it because that's the person he is. There's no doubt about it that he's selfish, an *******, etc, but he always backs up his game.

pacman16
02-13-2012, 10:09 PM
^^ "When asked if his role on the 2012 U.S. Olympic team would be any different than in 2008, he shook his head"

isn't really the type of question where Kobe needs to act like a selfish **** and say what he did.

Kobe's obviously one of the best to ever play, everyone respects his talent... but i can't stand watching laker game cause of him- last minute he will force up the most ridic shots ever, yes sometimes he makes them but the pass to the other wide open players would go for a better percentage then kobe's ridic shots.
he's amazing but annoying to watch.

JJ_JKidd
02-14-2012, 12:44 AM
Hes joking. Team USA so dominant not gonna be needing some closing thing :cool:

nickdymez
02-14-2012, 01:05 AM
^^ "When asked if his role on the 2012 U.S. Olympic team would be any different than in 2008, he shook his head"

isn't really the type of question where Kobe needs to act like a selfish **** and say what he did.

Kobe's obviously one of the best to ever play, everyone respects his talent... but i can't stand watching laker game cause of him- last minute he will force up the most ridic shots ever, yes sometimes he makes them but the pass to the other wide open players would go for a better percentage then kobe's ridic shots.
he's amazing but annoying to watch.

Do you know who else is on Lakers? You realize the bigs cant create their own shot. No one else on the perimeter is even decent. What do you suggest he do? Force it in to the bigs so they can be double teamed or better yet, Pau Gasol go up like a girl and lose the ball and beg for a foul?

Hellcrooner
02-14-2012, 01:19 AM
Team usa should need no "closer" ( well im against all the closer thing alltogheter to be honest) in team usa, since EVERYBODY can score in such a team.
And specially since basically every team that they face will be down 20-30 to enter the 4th quarters, a "closer" may be needed just against Spain, Argentina or France.

pd1dish
02-14-2012, 01:25 AM
whats with people declaring themselves as closers lately? team USA will have a few guys that could easily have the ball in their hands at the end of the game.

lakers4sho
02-14-2012, 01:49 AM
it's kobespeak for the world is catching up to usa basketball

Yanks All Day
02-14-2012, 02:07 AM
As a fan of Team USA, I'd be insulted if we had to rely on a closer to win games. No one in the world should be able to stay on the court with the team we send to the Olympics.

Hellcrooner
02-14-2012, 02:38 AM
As a fan of Team USA, I'd be insulted if we had to rely on a closer to win games. No one in the world should be able to stay on the court with the team we send to the Olympics.

well spain has two allstars...and one or two potential future ones too, add then 6 or 7 players that are nba material, even starting material.

Similar things can be said bout france and argentina, so yes they should be able to make it a close game and even get the lucky strike and win.

lakers4sho
02-14-2012, 03:04 AM

You sir, then, need a reality check.

MickeyMgl
02-14-2012, 04:04 PM

It's not 1992 anymore.

mRc08
02-14-2012, 04:26 PM
why wouldn't he be the closer on that team? best resume of all those players.