PDA

View Full Version : Greg Oden and Brandon Roy: The What if 2011-12 Portland Trail Blazers

bcoakes97
02-12-2012, 11:46 PM
Have you ever thought what if? What if Brandon Roy did not suffer a career ending injury. Greg Oden came back and played like the #1 Draft Pick Portland drafted him to be?

The lineup this year would look like this:

PG: Raymond Felton
SG: Brandon Roy
SF: Gerald Wallace
PF: Lemarcus Aldridge
C: Greg Oden

Bench:

Wesley Matthews
Nicholas Batum
Marcus Camby

I took Jamal Crawford of the team because the Blazers signed him because of there loss of Brandon Roy. All of these player could have been on the team at the end of the lockout. They lost what could have been there best two players. This could have been the best team in the NBA imo by far.

alexander_37
02-12-2012, 11:48 PM
Blazers forum ...

Gators123
02-12-2012, 11:49 PM
We would be seeing a Heat vs Blazers finals this year.

jp611
02-12-2012, 11:51 PM
Blazers forum ...

So the NBA forum can only be about the Knicks? I'm interested in this thread and would prefer to not have to go to the blazers forum to talk about it

jp611
We would be seeing a Heat vs Blazers finals this year.

Bulls-blazers :D

OA SLAY
what if you could play professional sports with no knees?

alexander_37
02-12-2012, 11:53 PM
So the NBA forum can only be about the Knicks? I'm interested in this thread and would prefer to not have to go to the blazers forum to talk about it

I would prefer not, but is that not the reason for the existence of the blazers forum, if not it should be comparisons. This is not any noteworthy news or anything other than pure Blazers related speculation hence it should not be in the main forum.

jp611
02-12-2012, 11:54 PM
That team would be amazing though... Blazers have the worst luck in the world, it's a shame

jp611
02-12-2012, 11:56 PM
**** these spammers :mad:

alexander_37
02-12-2012, 11:57 PM
Anyways that is pretty circumstantial however I will pose this question.

What if the same was true for the Rockets.

Healthy T-Mac and Yao

Kyle Lowry/Dragic
T-Mac/Lee
Bud/Parsons
Scola/Patterson
Yao/Dalembert

Bench:

Wesley Matthews
Nicholas Batum
Marcus Camby

Gram
02-13-2012, 12:09 AM
I'm interested in this thread alot actually. I love Brandon Roy, the guy was a monster. If Oden could do what he could do in college in the elite level, that Portland team would have been unreal. Very well balanced offensive attack, and probably one of the best defenses in the L as well.

bcoakes97
02-13-2012, 12:21 AM
Anyways that is pretty circumstantial however I will pose this question.

What if the same was true for the Rockets.

Healthy T-Mac and Yao

Kyle Lowry/Dragic
T-Mac/Lee
Bud/Parsons
Scola/Patterson
Yao/Dalembert

Bench:

Wesley Matthews
Nicholas Batum
Marcus Camby

It would not be circumstantial. Greg Oden was already under contract heading into this season and Roy retired when the lockout ended. Also Felton was acquired in the draft. This could all have been possible minus Oden and Roys injuries.

I apologize if you meant "Circumstantial" towards the would-be Rockets, wasn't sure

5ass
02-13-2012, 12:22 AM
even with just a healthy roy..
Felton
Roy
Wallace
Aldridge
Camby

and a deep bench

that team is championship caliber.

bcoakes97
02-13-2012, 12:26 AM
Absolutly. Oden is just a VERY big plus to my argument. Also they would be the champions this year with Roy healthy, Felton needs to wake up though haha

UPRock
02-13-2012, 12:33 AM
I feel bad for Roy, in his All Star years he was clearly the 3rd best SG in the game, and could've ended as one of the best Blazers in history. His number should be retired by them because he resurrected that franchise.

alexander_37
02-13-2012, 12:45 AM
It would not be circumstantial. Greg Oden was already under contract heading into this season and Roy retired when the lockout ended. Also Felton was acquired in the draft. This could all have been possible minus Oden and Roys injuries.

I apologize if you meant "Circumstantial" towards the would-be Rockets, wasn't sure

Exactly why it's circumstantial ... Assuming Oden and Roy could stay healthy are VERY big if's same with Yao and Tmac..

Also I was asking which hypothetical team would be better ....

Ty Fast
02-13-2012, 12:51 AM
That team would be amazing though... Blazers have the worst luck in the world, it's a shame

ya man. no kidding. 1st bowie over mj then oden over kd.

Gritz
02-13-2012, 01:00 AM
What if the game of basketball was never made

sf-fanatic
02-13-2012, 03:18 AM
Felton
Roy
Durant
Aldridge
Camby

Bench:
Batum
Mathews
Crawford

:drool:

Hawkeye15
02-13-2012, 10:53 AM
Teams knew about Roy's knee concerns, so its tough to feel too bad for the Blazers on that front. The Oden injuries suck for them.

MackShock
02-13-2012, 11:43 AM
another what if thread..

MackShock
02-13-2012, 11:44 AM
what if Ewing would've dunked it, instead of fading away?//The Knicks would've been the champs, he wouldn't have got traded away.

- Fredro Starr

MackShock
02-13-2012, 11:44 AM
what if they took durant over oden?

Heediot
02-13-2012, 11:57 AM
If Oden and Roy were healthy, who knows if most of these guys being mentioned would still be there. For example if they win an extra 10 plus games per season because of the success of these two, do they really acquire the same players given that their draft positions would change, and their needs would as well. A guy like Wallace was acquired due to Roy's knees.

That said, I think they would have be championship contenders with a foundation of Roy, LMA, and Oden. The latter potential making the most impact, which is saying a lot about Oden's potential.

xILLN355
02-13-2012, 12:19 PM
shame what injuries do

Spencesc11
02-13-2012, 12:21 PM
With a big 3 of Roy, Aldridge, and Oden this would've been the dominant team in the West for about a 5-6 year run. And with Miami's defiencies up front they probably could have won 3-4 titles as well. Especially with Felton and G. Wallace rounding out the starting 5. Would've been something but unfortunately we'll never know.

Another scenario would have been the Orlando Magic when they had McGrady and Grant Hill. Could these two have elevated the Magic to title contendors with solid role players? They would've complimented eachother nicely so you have to wonder but injures stopped this from happening to.

pebloemer
02-13-2012, 12:44 PM
Teams knew about Roy's knee concerns, so its tough to feel too bad for the Blazers on that front. The Oden injuries suck for them.

If Roy hadn't had those concerns you could even argue he'd never end up in a Blazers uniform. Or maybe he would have with the 2nd pick and Aldridge didn't become a Blazer.

I'm not sure the "what if" works well with Roy.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
02-13-2012, 12:50 PM
Could say the same bad luck as if DR J would of wanted to play for Milwaukee instead of ABA. Bucks would of had Kareem and DR J.

cubbies7177
02-13-2012, 01:38 PM
brandon roy was absolutely filthy. loved watching him

the blazers (even without roy and oden) are great, but they have a horrible weak link, raymond felton. he wasn't supposed to be a weak link whatsoever... but came out of the lockout fat and flat. no energy, decent vision, but no ability to execute consistently, and talk about horrible shooting....

well built team, sucks about injuries... but even more so that raymond felton isnt progressing forward

im really worried that rose will become the next roy.... crossing my fingers for today's back appointment (im talking more about rose's style of play... and how it will get him injured throughout his career...)

SpaceJamJordans
02-13-2012, 01:51 PM
I always thought that they could've won multiple championships a long time ago if they weren't injured at all. That team is so deep... it's really a bummer

smith&wesson
02-13-2012, 02:01 PM
they would have been another super team ..

Dramedy
02-13-2012, 02:02 PM
Both were drafted with major health concerns. If it were a freak accident that caused either of their injuries this would be a fascinating what if, but the way I look at it they took a calculated risk on players with very high upsides but injury concerns that just didn't pan out.

WAYNEBO
02-13-2012, 02:08 PM
I have a soft spot for the Blazers... they do have the worst luck. and the What-Ifs can go all the way back to Jordan. Big men are a rarity in the NBA, so I understand passing on KD. His frail frame was just a concern as Oden's knees coming outta college.