PDA

View Full Version : ESPN- NY looks to be the favorite to sign J.R. Smith.

NYman15
02-11-2012, 04:00 PM
"New York is still the closest thing to a consensus favorite to sign J.R. Smith to a rest-of-the-season contract worth $2.5 million when the rangy guard returns from China. Lots of teams are interested in Smith, including both the Clippers and Lakers, but the Knicks are starved for shooters and have more money and a bigger role to offer than most Smith suitors, which gives them an edge."

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-120210-11/nba-dwight-howard-more-trade-chatter

Thoughts?

Kashmir13579
02-11-2012, 04:04 PM
He's a scumbag but i can't deny the Knicks could use him.

NYKnicks4511
02-11-2012, 04:20 PM
He's a doucher, but at the same time we need a spark off the bench.

Starters: Lin / Fields / Anthony / Stoudemire / Chandler
Bench: Shumpert / Smith / Walker / Novak / Jeffries

Also with Baron Davis coming back, that's a really solid rotation assuming the players continue to gel, and hopefully get hot come playoff time.

kozelkid
02-11-2012, 04:21 PM
Great, another player who loves to hog the ball. It's the missing piece!!!

Punk
02-11-2012, 04:24 PM
Awesome singing. Nothing wrong with it at all. Bonehead or not, he is the perfect Sixth Man for a playoff team.

Put some veterans and positive players around him in a winning situation and he'd be very valuable and if it doesn't work, he can go into FA and we won't bring him back.

Baron Davis and JR off the bench is a great weapon to have. Both guys like the Garden and always look to light it up. I hope this happens.

PC
02-11-2012, 04:24 PM
Seems highly speculative but we can without a doubt use his 3 pt shooting

Punk
02-11-2012, 04:25 PM
Great, another player who loves to hog the ball. It's the missing piece!!!

The same guy the Bulls were so excited to sign and nobody cared about him being a ball hog? :laugh2:

Meatmypet
02-11-2012, 04:26 PM
He's just another Nate Robinson.

numba1CHANGsta
02-11-2012, 04:35 PM
Whats wrong with these players choosing money over a ring? its just for half a season why not go after a ring with a legit contender and then sign a big contract in the offseason?? and that "bigger role" is stupid cuz the Lakers need a 6th man and so he would be playing a huge role for them

kozelkid
02-11-2012, 04:38 PM
The same guy the Bulls were so excited to sign and nobody cared about him being a ball hog? :laugh2:

Sure.

Because our team doesn't have a blackhole named Carmelo Anthony. Because our team is well-coached and disciplined.

I like JR Smith. I think a disciplined Smith can be a very dangerous player. Sorry, I don't think the New York Knicks is that environment. With that said, I never realistically expected our conservative FO to take a chance on someone as crazy as Smith. I wish we would, but as soon as we got Rip, I knew that ship has pretty much sailed. Besides, we don't even have the minutes.

KH12
02-11-2012, 04:42 PM

Most Bulls fans don't want him...

He's the guy we traded for Howard Eisley a few years ago just to get rid of him like 24 hours after we acquired him.

Raph12
02-11-2012, 04:43 PM
They said the same thing about the Knicks and Lebron.

#just saying

GiantsSwaGG
02-11-2012, 04:52 PM
We don't need him imo...Novak is killing it from 3

xxplayerxx23
02-11-2012, 04:53 PM
good signing he can score off the bench. We can always use another bench piece

Lisound15
02-11-2012, 05:02 PM
We don't need him imo...Novak is killing it from 3

I think He'd probably cut into bill walkers minutes more than novak's

JEDean89
02-11-2012, 05:10 PM
i like JR because despite having melo and amare, offense is the teams biggest problem. JR is a chucker, but he is a damn good one. for most teams, i would say no to JR, but the Knicks have a great need for him, and Amare, Melo, and Tyson will keep him in check. It gives us a scary rotation and spreads the floor more than shumps, fields, or walker can.

Cubby
02-11-2012, 05:10 PM
Sure.

Because our team doesn't have a blackhole named Carmelo Anthony. Because our team is well-coached and disciplined.

I like JR Smith. I think a disciplined Smith can be a very dangerous player. Sorry, I don't think the New York Knicks is that environment. With that said, I never realistically expected our conservative FO to take a chance on someone as crazy as Smith. I wish we would, but as soon as we got Rip, I knew that ship has pretty much sailed. Besides, we don't even have the minutes.

Plus we don't exactly have a scorer off the bench either, and the reasons you stated definitely make Chicago the better fit if he wants to take less.

PacersForLife
02-11-2012, 05:20 PM
Dang I wish Larry would go after him, he is the definition of what we need...

setman2000
02-11-2012, 07:22 PM
The reason I think this may not happen is Melo and JR used to be friends but then had a falling out. Melo didnt even invite JR to his wedding.

JR is a headcase, bad attitude and not worth it - Denver learned that the hard way after paying him the $$$.

CudiOnMyiPod
02-11-2012, 07:35 PM
Carmelo, Davis, AND Smith all on the same team. All 3 chuckers. If I'm NY, no thanks.

Cracka2HI!
02-11-2012, 07:36 PM
I don't see why people think he wouldn't fit on the Knicks. They don't have very many good players. They can find shots for him. I don't see how he's a bad fit on any team for a half a season. He's not a guy I give a long term deal to, but for this season I don't why everyone isn't after him. I'd love him on the Clippers! I do think he extra money the Knicks can offer will make the difference. I think the Pacers should make a run at him for the same reason. I think even Cleveland should consider him too.

AddiX
02-11-2012, 07:39 PM
In all honesty I've really liked what shump has done at the off guard spot. His defense has been insane, held Kobe to 3-11 shooting last night, and scored 9 points in the 4th quarter.

I've always been a huge jr smith fan though. I just feel like we have enough on our plate trying to get this team chemistry going, and now were adding another piece.

justinnum1
02-11-2012, 07:42 PM
They said the same thing about the Knicks and Lebron.

#just saying

lmao

AddiX
02-11-2012, 07:42 PM
The reason I think this may not happen is Melo and JR used to be friends but then had a falling out. Melo didnt even invite JR to his wedding.

JR is a headcase, bad attitude and not worth it - Denver learned that the hard way after paying him the $$$.

I dunno if he's a head case, but I do know he's really really hood. It's amazing how some of these dudes never change.

You seen his wife? Nasty azz chick been in 2 brawls in the stands while he was playing. You got to be kidding me.:facepalm:

knicks=love
02-11-2012, 07:49 PM
i wonder what number he'll be. can't be 5 and can't be 23

AI
02-11-2012, 07:56 PM
Smith would be awesome.

DaVille
02-11-2012, 08:08 PM
Knicks def can use another shooter. very solid roster

dtmagnet
02-11-2012, 08:13 PM
Wouldn't he also start for the Clippers seeing as Chauncey is out?

WAYNEBO
02-11-2012, 08:16 PM
It could be 23 if they kick Foney Douglas to the curb.

HouRealCoach
02-11-2012, 08:21 PM
Just makes us even deeper

5ass
02-11-2012, 08:28 PM
trade douglas for turiaf (is he still with the wiz?), and sign JR smith

Punk
02-11-2012, 08:39 PM
^ Turiaf is injured and I wish Washington would take Toney...He is still a good piece for us but he might as well play for the Wizards the way he plays.

Will the intelligent fans please stand up? Thanks. Not everyone is a chucker. The problem with JR is his maturity and we are filled with enough veterans and positive players to deal with him.

Anyhow, we have no real scoring punch off the bench. So, he will be a huge signing for us. Cuts Amare/Melo's minutes down and takes the "Keep 1 star with the bench lineup" concept out of the question. JR will make us extremely deep at every position. Hopefully he signs.