PDA

View Full Version : Derek Fisher and Metta/Artest are Quietly having Historically Bad Years

shep33
02-11-2012, 04:23 AM
Or by quietly I mean loudly for Laker fans.

Laker fans all appreciate what Fisher has done for the franchise... but this year has been very very painful to watch.

Derek Fisher is currently ranked 57th in efficiency among NBA pgs. 5.2 ppg, 3.8 apg in over 26 mpg. He actually had a stretch this year where he didn't score for over 2.5 games. Defensively he's arguably been the worst pg in the NBA, he can no longer stay in front of any guard. J-Lin is extremely talented, and I'm not even talking about his great game against the Lakers, I'm talking about 2nd string guys like Earl Watson destroying Fish. He's also shooting 26.8% from 3, and 35.4% from the field. To put Fisher's year into perspective, Mateen Cleaves averaged 5.4 ppg, 2.7 apg, while shooting 40% from the field and 28% from 3 during his rookie season (also his best), while playing 10 mpg fewer than Fisher does now.

Metta World Peace is having the worst year of his NBA career. Shooting 31.9% from the field, 17% from 3, and 51% from the line while only dropping 4.8 ppg. His defense is still very good. However, among SF's in the NBA he ranks 53rd in efficiency slightly ahead of Damien Wilkins.

These two players start for the Lakers. Question is, can you name a worse starting PG, or worse starting SF in the NBA?

Sadds The Gr8
02-11-2012, 04:27 AM
Does Artest even care about basketball anymore?

shep33
02-11-2012, 04:28 AM
Does Artest even care about basketball anymore?

I think he's more concerned about hurting the rim/backboard on his jumpers. His defense is still solid. But offensively, probably can't find anybody worse at any position right now.

The_Jamal
02-11-2012, 04:48 AM
John Salmons.

shep33
02-11-2012, 04:57 AM
John Salmons.

Wow, quite possibly. Actually it's not even close, Salmon's shoots 37% from the field while 29% from 3. He's averaging 7.6 ppg. Lol, it's close but Ron still wins with 31.5% shooting from the field, 17% from 3, and 51% from the line. Heck Salmons is averaging a solid 3 ppg more.

Close, but Metta still wins that Showcase Showdown

Sadds The Gr8
02-11-2012, 05:04 AM
If u guys are comparing worst SFs in the league, then noone beats out Rasual Big Dick Butler. He's hands down the worst rotational player in the NBA and its not even close.

shep33
02-11-2012, 05:06 AM
If u guys are comparing worst SFs in the league, then noone beats out Rasual Big Dick Butler. He's hands down the worst rotational player in the NBA and its not even close.

He's bad, however, we're talking about starting SF's.

Sadds The Gr8
02-11-2012, 05:08 AM
Artest starts? I thought it was Barnes

shep33
02-11-2012, 05:10 AM
Artest starts? I thought it was Barnes

Nah, not any more. Artest took over a while back, and even when he wasn't starting he averages the most minutes at the 3 spot for us this year, slightly over Barnes.

ThunderousDemon
02-11-2012, 05:21 AM
NBA Gods please throw us a bone to alleviate this painful cringe I get from watching Derek Fisher and Ron Artest start for us

5ass
02-11-2012, 05:24 AM
Lakers should try to sign patrick mills or Zabian Dowdell. Not much but could be an upgrade at a low risk.

KingPosey
02-11-2012, 05:25 AM
I was thinking about this today. I just cant believe Metta is THIS bad. But I was thinking it sucks when, on any given night, 2 of your starters can literally combine for 0 points, 3 or less rebounds, and 3 or less assists.

5ass
02-11-2012, 05:26 AM
Also maybe Jamario Moon could be good for them at the SF spot.

Crackadalic
02-11-2012, 05:27 AM
They help with there title run but they need to upgrade those two positions

shep33
02-11-2012, 05:33 AM
It's pretty awful right now. The Lakers don't expect those two to give them anything. They also have the worst bench in the NBA, statistically averaging 3ppg fewer than the next worse bench (Clippers).

The scoring for this team is essentially Bynum, Kobe, Gasol. But when they get doubled, as you guys probably witnessed tonight, nobody on LA can hit a jumper. The Lakers are also the worst 3 point shooting team in the league, hovering around 29% I believe.

shep33
02-11-2012, 05:36 AM
I was thinking about this today. I just cant believe Metta is THIS bad. But I was thinking it sucks when, on any given night, 2 of your starters can literally combine for 0 points, 3 or less rebounds, and 3 or less assists.

Against Boston Fisher had 0 points on 0-7 shooting, 2 dimes, and 2 turnovers.

Cal827
02-11-2012, 05:45 AM
SF: Rasual Butler is worse. You don't get called the tank commander on a terrible team for no reason :D

5ass
02-11-2012, 05:48 AM
also maybe they should try to sign James Posey.
I say sign Dowdell and Posey. Let them play 10-15 mpg, not significant minutes, but that 10-15 mpg less for Artest and Fisher.

shep33
02-11-2012, 05:57 AM
See I think the Lakers are stuck in limbo right now on what they want to do. They have the assets to trade for a viable pg without giving up Bynum or Gasol. I mean, Barnes' is a cheap expiring deal, two first rounders in a deep draft next year, a couple of young prospects in Ebanks, Morris and Goudelock, and a 9 Mill TPE from the Odom trade....

As Laker fans we know this isn't the team we're going to have after the deadline. What's odd is that we do have some assets to get a guy like Beno Udrih or maybe even a Ramon Sessions... however, we haven't used anything yet, which makes it seem like we're waiting for a bigger deal. I don't know what's going on with Mitch, but he's usually dead silent on every deal.

I dunno... seems like we're just trying to stay afloat until the deadline. Really the only explanation I can give for what's going on with us. I don't think Howard is coming here, however, I do think Gasol is likely on the move, and packaged with those draft picks, while using our TPE in a separate deal is probably most likely occur IMO.

Only thing I can come up with, because they missed out on Nate Robinson, Ish Smith, won't sign Boykins and I doubt they sign Arenas, so somethings gotta give. We'll see what happens.

Zefflin
02-11-2012, 06:35 AM
NBA Gods please throw us a bone to alleviate this painful cringe I get from watching Derek Fisher and Ron Artest start for us

yeap it hurts

Raidaz4Life
02-11-2012, 09:08 AM
I the fact that Artest still gets minutes much less starts shows how incompetent Mike Brown is. It seems like the entire Lakers organization is afraid to do anything about Derek Fisher.

CousinsEvansDUO
02-11-2012, 09:17 AM
Wow, quite possibly. Actually it's not even close, Salmon's shoots 37% from the field while 29% from 3. He's averaging 7.6 ppg. Lol, it's close but Ron still wins with 31.5% shooting from the field, 17% from 3, and 51% from the line. Heck Salmons is averaging a solid 3 ppg more.

Yes but Metta still plays some defense at least..salmons lets people fly by him and sometimes watches guys take open jumpers at the 3 without even contesting..leaving people 5 feet open and observing the situation like an idiot. Artest isn't playing good because he's nervous about getting amnestied, he's trying too hard making his work counter productive.

Gram
02-11-2012, 10:30 AM
Yes but Metta still plays some defense at least..salmons lets people fly by him and sometimes watches guys take open jumpers at the 3 without even contesting..leaving people 5 feet open and observing the situation like an idiot. Artest isn't playing good because he's nervous about getting amnestied, he's trying too hard making his work counter productive.

I thought you were dead.... Why did you have to come back? ;)

raiderfaninTX
02-11-2012, 10:40 AM
if any of you watched that spin move that lin put on fisher last night it was embarrassing.

Fisher should have walked off the court took his jersey off and went home.

willabeast77
02-11-2012, 10:55 AM
If Phil Jackson was still coacing the Lakers, I doubt they would be in this mess right now. he would probably bench Fisher and Artest.

Cal827
02-11-2012, 03:38 PM

:clap: Good analysis CED. Do your Kings still have the Amnesty option. Cause John Salmons just hurts your team's growth completely. He's like a 2010 version of Ricky Davis.. and at Least Davis put up some decent stats in the other categories.

JasonJohnHorn
02-11-2012, 03:45 PM
Don't worry. I'm not a Lakers fan and I've noticed how $#!TTY both those guys have been playing.

Iodine
02-11-2012, 03:53 PM
You know it's a bad year when Farmer is clearly outplaying you

Chronz
02-11-2012, 04:49 PM
Wait so you mean leaving the triangle wasn't the cure all some predicted for Artest

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-11-2012, 04:54 PM

:laugh:

amnesty deadline has passed already

Lim
02-11-2012, 04:56 PM
seems like artest just doesn't give a **** AT ALL ever since he won his ring. looks to me like he is just going out there to collect his pay check and nothing more

Ebbs
02-11-2012, 04:59 PM
:laugh: love this thread. Artest is a bum. Fisher is done but I won't bad mouth him the one Laker I always respected.

JLynn943
02-11-2012, 05:08 PM
I'd almost rather have Salmons. Almost.

Lim
02-11-2012, 05:33 PM
I'd almost rather have Salmons. Almost.

ya seriously what the **** happened to salmons? he was pretty damn good couple seasons ago.

LAKobeBryant
02-11-2012, 09:30 PM
raptors started rasul butler for half their season

Sactown
02-11-2012, 10:06 PM

On the offensive end it is, but Ron is much greater than John on the defensive end.. John can't guard the other teams mascots let alone their players...

MetroMan
02-11-2012, 11:35 PM
its not quiet when they throw bricks and everyone is eager for them to leave

thekmp211
02-12-2012, 12:16 AM
i'll never understand artest. he improved on offense for like 6 straight seasons, and then fell off a cliff in exactly one. he looks like a different person the way he carries himself.

netsgiantsyanks
02-12-2012, 12:34 AM
should have ****ing signed jeremy lin.

BigBongTheory
02-12-2012, 12:42 AM
Yo shep, They aren't having bad years quietly, this **** is LOUD.

THE MTL
02-12-2012, 03:57 AM
Well, I dont think Derek Fisher's poor season is any secret. All I hear is about how the Lakers NEED a PG! Point guard this and point guard that. Everyone pretty much knows that Fisher is bad

sp1derm00
02-12-2012, 07:37 AM
On the bright side, those two can't actually get WORSE can they?

:o

Burkey3472
02-12-2012, 08:45 AM
At least Metta can play some defense, Fisher literally can't do anything right now.

HouRealCoach
02-12-2012, 11:16 AM
Toney Douglas...

But I wish Artest got his head in the game he's still one of my favorite players

knicksfan42
02-12-2012, 12:40 PM
Toney Douglas...

Definitely Toney Douglas.

Cano-Montero...
02-12-2012, 01:13 PM
Its pathetic seeing them play...why just dont give the minutes to ebanks or barnes.... Then blake and glock...

TubbyBucket
02-12-2012, 01:23 PM
Reminds me of how the last Lakers run ended. Their main stars surrounded with a cast of creaky old-timers and a bunch of D-leaguers. I though Fisher was washed up then... Can't believe he's still around, lol.

LA_Raiders
02-12-2012, 02:26 PM
I think he's more concerned about hurting the rim/backboard on his jumpers. His defense is still solid. But offensively, probably can't find anybody worse at any position right now.

lol

willabeast77
02-12-2012, 03:21 PM
Mike Brown is part of the problem. He's an overrated coach.

heyman321
02-12-2012, 06:21 PM
Who is worse, Rasual Butler or Mike Bibby?

LakersA's49ers
02-12-2012, 06:35 PM
stop talking trash about Metta! he went 2-3 from three today!!!!!!!!! ;)

But seriously, 17% is awful. also, that missed three against boston was pathetic as hell. wide open feet set, shoots way to long. unreal

and d-fish still the man! game winner against dallas ye heard? but other than that, missing all the wide open shots he gets

LAOwnsAll15
02-12-2012, 06:58 PM
Quietly? Its been ****ing obvious as hell that Artest has his head up his arse!
Lakers' fans were just hoping last year was a Fluke... it wasnt.

and Fisher... well Fisher was in a damn suit all off season, and he isnt exactly young.

Bruno
02-12-2012, 07:14 PM
good thread shep.

LAL has the worst bench, and the worst starting PG/SF tandem in the NBA.

knicksfan42
02-12-2012, 07:50 PM
Who is worse, Rasual Butler or Mike Bibby?

Toney Douglas, as he actively works to make the team lose every second he's on the court. He does all the small things in addition to all the big things in order to ensure a loss.

Swift Game
02-12-2012, 07:54 PM
This does not surprise me. The signs were there last year vs. the Mavs in the playoffs.

The front office knows this and that why they were willing to give up a lot for CP3. They keep giving old guys longer contracts than they really should when they become a shell of their former selves. If they were smart they would have made the last two years of both Fisher's and Artest's contract a team option.

Fisher is one of my favorite Lakers of all time, but he needs to realize that he is hurting the team more than he is helping at this point in his career. Artest may still have something in the tank as long as he stays away from the 3 point line. He has had some decent games this season.

And as far as Phil Jackson goes, I don't see much of an improvement if he is still coach imo. He would not play any of the young players and still keep in Fish and Artest the majority of the time. Remember Phil does not develop young players.

Anyone know how the Amnesty option works? Is it to late for the Lakers this season? Is it once every 10 years or every season?

M.V.W.
02-12-2012, 08:11 PM
This does not surprise me. The signs were there last year vs. the Mavs in the playoffs.

The front office knows this and that why they were willing to give up a lot for CP3. They keep giving old guys longer contracts than they really should when they become a shell of their former selves. If they were smart they would have made the last two years of both Fisher's and Artest's contract a team option.

Fisher is one of my favorite Lakers of all time, but he needs to realize that he is hurting the team more than he is helping at this point in his career. Artest may still have something in the tank as long as he stays away from the 3 point line. He has had some decent games this season.

And as far as Phil Jackson goes, I don't see much of an improvement if he is still coach imo. He would not play any of the young players and still keep in Fish and Artest the majority of the time. Remember Phil does not develop young players.

Anyone know how the Amnesty option works? Is it to late for the Lakers this season? Is it once every 10 years or every season?

They can't use it until this summer. It's only available once over the length of the entire CBA (10 years).

Swift Game
02-12-2012, 08:25 PM
They can't use it until this summer. It's only available once over the length of the entire CBA (10 years).

Thanks.

It sounds like the Lakers will save that option when it makes the most sense.

Hope they don't eventually use it on Kobe, but if he wants some talent around him he may need to restructure his contract which he may not agree to do.

Would it be crazy to see Kobe join the Clippers or the Nets if he is amnestied? Dwight, Dwill and Kobe with NJ would be crazy, and him on the Clippers would be a champion contender for sure.