PDA

View Full Version : What is the Mavs dream (+ somewhat realistic) summer 2012?

FlawlessVictory
02-10-2012, 06:56 PM
As per title, what do people see as the Mavs best case scenario for summer 2012?

A quick search about the salary cap for 2012-2013 and most people are estimating $60 - $61 million.

Economic projections from sources say the salary cap will then grow to about $60-$61 million in 2012

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/dolan_thinking_cap_KYqiEAYeqYYk4xR4CJ3ApO#ixzz1m1L 5BIF9
With that in mind, here is how much the Mavs currently have committed:

Between Dirk, Marion, Haywood, Odom (team option), Roddy B, Jones and Wright (team option) = The Mavs would be committed to about $50 million.
Their obvious options to significantly reduce that would be to let Odom and Wright leave while amnestying Haywoods deal... in that scenario, they would have only have about $32.5 million committed.

Here is what I would do:

1. Let Odom and Wright leave while amnestying Haywoods deal
2. Dump Jones $1.3 million odd deal to anyone who will take it
3. Offer Howard and D Williams as much as possible with the remaining cap space (it would be about $15 million per year each)
4. Re-sign Jason Terry to the mid level exception
5. Re-sign 2 out of Vince Carter, Jason Kidd, Delonte West to min deals

Mavs 2012 onwards:

PG: Deron Williams/Jason Kidd/Roddy B
SG: Vince Carter/Jason Terry/Roddy B
SF: Shaun Marion/Vince Carter
PF: Dirk/Min deal
C: Dwight Howard/Min deal

Incredible roster... Views?

Note: A secondary option to add more cap space this summer would be to trade Marion before the deadline for an expiring deal; that would open up another $8.6 million in salary and would probably allow the Mavs to offer D Will and D Howard max deals under the new CBA and/or allow them to sign a few role players on a few mill for the year.

bholly
02-10-2012, 07:16 PM
That article is from before the new CBA was even signed. There would have to be hugely unprecedented revenue growth for the cap to increase. It's almost sure to be at $58.044, where it was this year and last year, and might even be a little lower the following year.

It isn't going to go up to $61m, that's pretty much for sure.

Having said that, you're more or less right about what Dallas' plan will be. Drop Odom, amnesty Haywood, try to move Marion, and then they can offer two max contracts.

bholly
02-10-2012, 07:19 PM
Also, I mentioned this somewhere else a few days ago - the only kind of team who would want to take on Marion would be one looking to make one last push with their veterans, aren't too worried about the cost, and have the ability to take him on while offering Dallas cap relief in return.

There's only one team that comes to mind who might want him and has the ability - LAL taking him on by absorbing him into the LO TPE. Would be going full circle. Honestly, I'm not sure they'd do it, because they'd essentially be giving Dwight and DWill to Dallas, but who knows? I don't see many other Marion moves that would work.

bholly
02-10-2012, 07:21 PM
Except one last thing - they wouldn't have the MLE. Once you go far enough below the cap (which they would be) you lose the MLE. So likely no Jason Terry, just the min guys.

FlawlessVictory
02-10-2012, 07:25 PM
But could they not sign all their players, fill up their cap and then offer Terry the mid level?

As for Marion, I think he is still playing at a very high level and would be a great pickup for someone like the Lakers. Anything ahead of that piece of trash Artest is an upgrade.

WeBallin
02-10-2012, 07:25 PM
To have threads that stay in the Mavs forum! Hint nobody care about the mavs for a public forum....lol

FlawlessVictory
02-10-2012, 07:27 PM
Yea, people much prefer to start 50 Lin threads and talk the same old rubbish in everyone of them :facepalm:

WeBallin
02-10-2012, 07:28 PM
i'm like Kobe on this one though "Lin Who"

bholly
02-10-2012, 07:47 PM
But could they not sign all their players, fill up their cap and then offer Terry the mid level?

Nope. Once you go below the cap it's gone - you don't get it back when you get back up to the cap. That's why Miami didn't have it in 2010.

5ass
02-10-2012, 07:50 PM
good post, thats exactly what u said, best case scenario. Doesnt mean that it has a very high possibility of happening, but thats a very good team.

Raph12
02-10-2012, 08:11 PM
Dirk said he's likely going to retire in 3 years or so, I doubt Dwight will want to take a paycut to go there... I don't see any scenario that doesn't have Dwight in a Nets jersey to start the 2012-13 season.

kenzo400
02-10-2012, 09:23 PM
Dirk said he's likely going to retire in 3 years or so, I doubt Dwight will want to take a paycut to go there... I don't see any scenario that doesn't have Dwight in a Nets jersey to start the 2012-13 season.

Yeah, but if they sign Deron Williams too he would still be in a better position because Mavericks have a better team. I don't see why he should go with the Nets seeing as how they have a worse supporting crew.

Fnom11
02-10-2012, 10:43 PM
Yeah, but if they sign Deron Williams too he would still be in a better position because Mavericks have a better team. I don't see why he should go with the Nets seeing as how they have a worse supporting crew.

Except the Nets have a promising rookie in MarShon Brooks. Assuming they get a decent pick in this draft, they could have a good young core around Dwight and Dwill. Even the possibility to trade Lopez.

Wrigheyes4MVP
02-11-2012, 12:25 AM
Sign Jeremy Lin and release all of their other good players.

kenzo400
02-11-2012, 12:28 AM
Except the Nets have a promising rookie in MarShon Brooks. Assuming they get a decent pick in this draft, they could have a good young core around Dwight and Dwill. Even the possibility to trade Lopez.

Marshon Brooks? That's whats going to sway Dwight Howard? I agree that they could get a good pick in the draft, but even that player will take time to develop. Dwight and Deron want to win now and Dallas is the best opportunity for that.

LongWayFromHome
02-11-2012, 01:28 AM
Sign Jeremy Lin and release all of their other good players.

This.

But in all seriousness - Dirk has an option to reduce his salary by 40% and is very likely to do so if it means signing to MAX guys

bholly
02-11-2012, 01:41 AM
This.

But in all seriousness - Dirk has an option to reduce his salary by 40% and is very likely to do so if it means signing to MAX guys

No he doesn't. There are no rules that allow for a contract that does that. Whoever told you that was making it up.

ThuglifeJ
02-11-2012, 02:27 AM
Chillin in the summer with another ring.

Dreams.

waveycrockett
02-11-2012, 02:35 AM
This.

Thats BS. You believe everything you here? The CBA states guys can't restructure for less money only more.

gatkins11
02-11-2012, 10:31 AM

Dirk retiring wouldn't push them away. Dallas still has Cuban and Dwight has a lot of respect for Cuban. If Dallas gets only vet min guys, when Dirk retires, theoretically, they can sign another max player. Right?

Nevertheless, I agree with you that the Nets are the most likely scenario.

LongWayFromHome
02-11-2012, 03:48 PM
No he doesn't. There are no rules that allow for a contract that does that. Whoever told you that was making it up.

A new "renegotiation and extension" provision allows an existing contract to be renegotiated so the player is paid a smaller amount over a longer period, but the player's salary cannot decrease by more than 40 percent. Renegotiations previously could only increase a player's salary.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7329408/new-items-added-nba-collective-bargaining-agreement

FlawlessVictory
02-11-2012, 05:20 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7329408/new-items-added-nba-collective-bargaining-agreement
So effectively Dirk would get paid the same amount, it would just be paid over a longer period?

If that is the case, it would seem to be a no brainer for him to do it, as I doubt he badly needs the money in the short term...

Fnom11
02-11-2012, 05:32 PM
Marshon Brooks? That's whats going to sway Dwight Howard? I agree that they could get a good pick in the draft, but even that player will take time to develop. Dwight and Deron want to win now and Dallas is the best opportunity for that.

I was just pointing out that NJ would probably be better over the long run with a "decent" draft pick, a promising SG, and a potential valuable trade option with Lopez, compared to an aging Dirk. Because all they'd have is Dirk and no one else. Most likely won't have Terry unless he signs a Vet Min.

That's just my opinion though.

bholly
02-11-2012, 06:15 PM

Right, and if you followed the CBA stuff beyond that one article you'd have found that that ended up not being the case. There was a stretch provision for how you spread out the salary owed to waived players, but nothing that allows the renegotiation and extension of existing contracts.
Dirk can't just take less money so they can add more guys.