PDA

View Full Version : Would Steve Nash make the Indiana Pacers a Contender?

Fresno
02-10-2012, 04:38 AM
Having waved bye-bye to James Posey through the miracle of amnesty, the Pacers can add Nash without the pesky dilemma of finding a close-enough match of contracts.

The lead item in a suggested return from Indiana would be young point guard Darren Collison and what would be a draft pick destined to fall late in the first round.
http://www.foxsportsarizona.com/02/08/12/Nash-trade-partners-hard-to-come-by/landing.html?blockID=662196&feedID=3801

We're talking about this season.

PG - Steve Nash
SG - Paul George
SF - Danny Granger
PF - David West
C - Roy Hibbert

Fresno
02-10-2012, 04:44 AM
Thats a good deal for Phoenix. Collison + 2012 1st Rounder + Future Protected 1st Rounder

Darren Collison averaged nearly 20/10 as a rookie in New Orleans when he had full control of the offense and was running the Pick & Roll. Im sure with the system that Gentry runs in Phoenix he could put up numbers close to that on a rebuilding Suns team. Espescially with the shooters they have spreading the floor.

Birdmannn
02-10-2012, 04:47 AM
Nash would fit so well in so many places. This summer is going to be busy for him.

Fresno
02-10-2012, 04:52 AM
Nash would fit so well in so many places. This summer is going to be busy for him.

Phoenix & Steve Nash have done a great PR job for a pending divorce.

I'd be shocked if he was in a Suns uniform for their March 15th game against the Clippers. If they're 10 games under .500, it would be the right move to let Nash & Hill join contenders.

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-10-2012, 04:56 AM
Wow, the trade actually does work despite Collison making $1,455,960 and Nash making $11,689,062. Straight up! http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7eb3333

Yeah, Suns would be a definite elite team out East with Chicago and Miami, get out in transition, and Granger will average 25 ppg easily while Hibbert will be a consistent 20-10 guy.

Bulls_fan90
02-10-2012, 05:39 AM
Phoenix & Steve Nash have done a great PR job for a pending divorce.

I'd be shocked if he was in a Suns uniform for their March 15th game against the Clippers. If they're 10 games under .500, it would be the right move to let Nash & Hill join contenders.

But what would the Suns gain trading him to a contender?

1. Most contenders are at the cap.

2. The assets a contender will be looking to give up would be minimal.

3. Matching contract would be very difficult.

Apart from the Pacers I don't see a team having the pieces to land Nash ( I also don't consider the Pacers a contender).

YoungOne
02-10-2012, 05:58 AM
Thats a good deal for Phoenix. Collison + 2012 1st Rounder + Future Protected 1st Rounder

Darren Collison averaged nearly 20/10 as a rookie in New Orleans when he had full control of the offense and was running the Pick & Roll. Im sure with the system that Gentry runs in Phoenix he could put up numbers close to that on a rebuilding Suns team. Espescially with the shooters they have spreading the floor.

he put up that numbers because no one had him on his scouting report.

Fresno
02-10-2012, 07:02 AM
he put up that numbers because no one had him on his scouting report.

1. He went on a tear for several months.

2. "No" Scouting Report on him? They had 4 years worth of a scouting report on him playing major minutes at UCLA and he was a 1st Rd pick. Its not like nobody had a clue about him.

Fresno
02-10-2012, 07:06 AM
Wow, the trade actually does work despite Collison making $1,455,960 and Nash making $11,689,062. Straight up! http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7eb3333

Yeah, Pacers would be a definite elite team out East with Chicago and Miami, get out in transition, and Granger will average 25 ppg easily while Hibbert will be a consistent 20-10 guy.

He'd make everyone around him so much better.

Paul George
Danny Granger
David West
Roy Hibbert
George Hill
Dahntay Jones
Tyler Hansbrough
Lance Stephenson :D

Cant forget Louis Amundson who had a career season playing with Nash.

Indiana competing with the major markets for a Title would be a major story.

Mcdoh
02-10-2012, 07:15 AM
the way the pacers are playing right now they're a contender team... but if they add nash no questions asked they are..

bholly
02-10-2012, 07:26 AM
Would Indy give up that much?

Celticsfan2007
02-10-2012, 12:17 PM
Wow that would be amazing if the Pacers could land Nash. Realistic possibility as well...

72 Wins
02-10-2012, 12:26 PM
This would be a great deal for both teams.

Tmath
02-10-2012, 12:31 PM
They would be the second team I would root for if they could make it happen although I kind of dislike Granger.

Iodine
02-10-2012, 01:23 PM
I ideally want Nash in Portlandia, but if he went to the pacers it would be nice.

Lakers + Giants
02-10-2012, 01:45 PM
It should be a 3 team trade where lakers get Nash or Collison :) we need a PG desperately!

IndyRealist
02-10-2012, 02:46 PM
It should be a 3 team trade where lakers get Nash or Collison :) we need a PG desperately!

What exactly would the Lakers be putting in the mix, when Indy would want Nash and Phoenix would want Collison?

Raph12
02-10-2012, 03:24 PM
The Magic would be better with Nash...

mightybosstone
02-10-2012, 03:40 PM
I think you can argue that Indiana is already dangerously close to "contender" status, but my definition of contender is a top four team in the conference who you could realistically see making the conference finals and make the championship if certain things fell into place. They're fourth, but I think they'll finish with the third seed in the East, they're a top 10 defensive team, they're deep and they have a number of offensive weapons to go to.

So, yes, with Nash I see them as a contender as long as they don't give up too much to get him.

J4KOP99
02-10-2012, 04:07 PM
This would be great for Indiana for about 2 years. I still don't think they could beat Chicago or Miami either...

--Is it worth giving up Collison and a 1st rd pick for probably 2 more years of service?

Chronz
02-10-2012, 04:20 PM

THIS

But do you think they would trade for Nash and restrict him the way they did Collison?

John Walls Era
02-10-2012, 07:51 PM
Are they starting PG yet? I mean the PG jokes are fun and all, but hes actually a really good player. I might even consider trading Granger and getting a lot of pieces. East isn't wide open with Bulls and Heat, BUT anything is possible and 3-8 seed can be captured by anyone. So with Nash, Pacers would definitely contend in the East (but Nash won't ask for a trade from what everyone is reporting - via Marc Stein).

PacersForLife
02-10-2012, 07:56 PM
Are they starting PG yet? I mean the PG jokes are fun and all, but hes actually a really good player. I might even consider trading Granger and getting a lot of pieces. East isn't wide open with Bulls and Heat, BUT anything is possible and 3-8 seed can be captured by anyone. So with Nash, Pacers would definitely contend in the East (but Nash won't ask for a trade from what everyone is reporting - via Marc Stein).

Some people are just too busy making up jokes about him to realize it...

JPHX
02-10-2012, 08:00 PM
theres no financial incentive for the suns to trade nash. He's our best player and an expiring. if you want him the suns would surely want to clear one of their long term deals (ala Childress or Warrick) in the process. Plus Indy would never trade a youngin AND a pick or multiple picks for a Nash rental.

Theres also risks when adding nash to that indy squad or any squad for that matter. Everyone assumes nash would be great anywhere he goes cause hes shown that he can make players around him better. However, the suns system is tailor made to fit Nash. He is efffective because the ball is always in his hands. Any team that acquires him would most certainly have to shift its system a bit so Nash can dominate the ball and be effective. Can Indy risk a shift like that and jeopordize the chemistry they built in order to integrate Nash in a shortened NBA season, all while losing valuable assets in the process?

John Walls Era
02-10-2012, 08:20 PM
Some people are just too busy making up jokes about him to realize it...

I actually would take him over Granger. This is quietly his break out year.

PacersForLife
02-10-2012, 08:48 PM
I actually would take him over Granger. This is quietly his break out year.

I would take George over Granger for the long-term in a second.

Fresno
02-11-2012, 01:54 AM
theres no financial incentive for the suns to trade nash. He's our best player and an expiring. if you want him the suns would surely want to clear one of their long term deals (ala Childress or Warrick) in the process. Plus Indy would never trade a youngin AND a pick or multiple picks for a Nash rental.

Theres also risks when adding nash to that indy squad or any squad for that matter. Everyone assumes nash would be great anywhere he goes cause hes shown that he can make players around him better. However, the suns system is tailor made to fit Nash. He is efffective because the ball is always in his hands. Any team that acquires him would most certainly have to shift its system a bit so Nash can dominate the ball and be effective. Can Indy risk a shift like that and jeopordize the chemistry they built in order to integrate Nash in a shortened NBA season, all while losing valuable assets in the process?

Neither George or Granger are guys who need the ball in their hands a lot.

Nash could easily step in and dominate the ball, but the issue would be how quick he could establish chemistry with that lineup and if he can do so by the Playoffs.

Why would Nash be a rental?
Is he supposed to run to Miami, LA, or NY for the mini-MLE this summer?

I could see him signing on to play another year in Indiana after this season is over.

Indiana could take on Childress or Warrick's contract and actually integrate them into their lineup so it wouldn't be a problem.

Fresno
02-11-2012, 01:57 AM
This would be great for Indiana for about 2 years. I still don't think they could beat Chicago or Miami either...

--Is it worth giving up Collison and a 1st rd pick for probably 2 more years of service?

I think so.

You've got vets like West & Granger already in that lineup.

Might as well go "All In" for a Title in the next 2-3 years.

PacersForLife
02-11-2012, 02:12 AM

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=85af7zt

I didn't think the projected wins would be so lop-sided, but I'm sure picks would be included in such a deal. I don't know where the Lakers stand with Pau at this point either. Just an idea...

John Walls Era
02-11-2012, 02:19 AM
Lakers can't be that desperate lol. They lose so much value.

PacersForLife
02-11-2012, 02:21 AM
Lakers can't be that desperate lol. They lose so much value.

True... Idk who else they could give up in such a trade though lol...

John Walls Era
02-11-2012, 02:23 AM
True... Idk who else they could give up in such a trade though lol...

Trade Granger. Not straight up for Nash but maybe get some value from him. PG should start.

bulldog312
02-11-2012, 03:13 AM

This was my thought. It's one of those trades that I think would be really hard to pull the trigger on. It's certainly going to set you back in 3 years or so, but you kind of have to make some sort of move to become a contender. I can't see the Pacers getting out of the East the way they are currently constructed. They are a good team, but I'm not buying that they can beat the Bulls and Heat in back to back series (and then the West champion on top of that).

shep33
02-11-2012, 03:14 AM
I think a below average pg would make the Lakers a contender

bulldog312
02-11-2012, 04:35 AM
I think a below average pg would make the Lakers a contender

John Lucas III? We will trade him for an autographed pair of Kobe sneakers.

shep33
02-11-2012, 04:59 AM
John Lucas III? We will trade him for an autographed pair of Kobe sneakers.

Deal!

PacersForLife
02-11-2012, 12:52 PM
Trade Granger. Not straight up for Nash but maybe get some value from him. PG should start.

Granger is our captain and he and George actually co-exist quite well. George's game is more of a guard's game if you really think about it. I think most Pacer fans would agree that we wanna keep our core together unless we can noticeably improve our team. Nash for Collison is probably one of those deals. Only way we move Danny would be for a guy like Deron Williams, not straight up of course, but you get the point.

By the way... PG does start, just at shooting guard.

mttwlsn16
02-11-2012, 01:12 PM

mttwlsn16
02-11-2012, 01:12 PM
Yeah, Suns would be a definite elite team out East.

:eyebrow:

kozelkid
02-11-2012, 01:14 PM
I've been pointing at Indiana as one of the three teams (along with Portland and Philly) where he'd make great sense.

Yes, they are absolutely a contender.

John Walls Era
02-11-2012, 01:15 PM
Granger is our captain and he and George actually co-exist quite well. George's game is more of a guard's game if you really think about it. I think most Pacer fans would agree that we wanna keep our core together unless we can noticeably improve our team. Nash for Collison is probably one of those deals. Only way we move Danny would be for a guy like Deron Williams, not straight up of course, but you get the point.

By the way... PG does start, just at shooting guard.

What happened to Lance Stephenson? I thought he was a steal. Should start him and move PG to SF.

PacersForLife
02-11-2012, 01:37 PM
What happened to Lance Stephenson? I thought he was a steal. Should start him and move PG to SF.

I've said it before, I wanna see what Lance can do with the starting lineup. He won't be starting anytime soon though. He usually only gets time with guys like Lou Amundson and that never works out well. He shows signs of being a good scorer and flashy passer. He's still a work in progress.

sunsfan88
02-11-2012, 02:40 PM
Would the Pacers do Nash, Lopez, Warrick for '12 first rd pick, Collison, Pendegraph & Lou?

PacersForLife
02-11-2012, 02:42 PM
Would the Pacers do Nash, Lopez, Warrick for Collison, Pendegraph & Lou?

If that's a serious question, then yes.

sunsfan88
02-11-2012, 03:08 PM
Still do it with Indy throwing in a '12 first rd pick?

JasonJohnHorn
02-11-2012, 04:10 PM
They are already a contender without him.

Redbull
02-11-2012, 04:24 PM
With Nash I believe the Pacers would be the third best team in the EC, I still don't think they can beat the Bulls or the Heat in a 7 game series.

PacersForLife
02-11-2012, 05:23 PM
Still do it with Indy throwing in a '12 first rd pick?

Might as well, we could always use depth up front. I think Lopez is an upgrade over Lou as a back-up would you agree?

RLundi
02-11-2012, 05:43 PM
No.

Getting rid of Danny Granger would.

PacersForLife
02-11-2012, 05:56 PM
No.

Getting rid of Danny Granger would.

How so? I'm interested to hear an outsiders perspective.

sunsfan88
02-11-2012, 06:38 PM
Might as well, we could always use depth up front. I think Lopez is an upgrade over Lou as a back-up would you agree?

No Lopez is awful. Only two good things about him is that he's young and big.

dtmagnet
02-11-2012, 06:40 PM
Abso-freaking-lutely, same could be said about several playoff teams though. Nash is beast.

PacersForLife
02-11-2012, 07:09 PM
No Lopez is awful. Only two good things about him is that he's young and big.

Hmm.. I still think it's a good deal.