PDA

View Full Version : Mo Williams selfish attitude hurting the Clippers?

spreadeagle
02-09-2012, 04:42 PM
He was upset when the Clippers acquired Paul and Billups, two future Hall of Famers to buoy a long-lost franchise. Everyone is talking about what it might mean to have the Clippers improve so quickly except for Williams, who wants to know, what about me?

"I want to play," he says in explaining his attitude, but what he really means to say is, he wants to start.

But aren't Paul and Billups better players?

"I'll let you decide," Williams says. "They are teammates of mine, so I won't say."

Of course, to contend you have to overcome a great deal of adversity, and adversity is starting to take aim at the Clippers.

Injuries are an unfortunate reality in professional sports, so when Billups went down with a torn Achilles it was accepted as part of the game. That doesn’t make it any less devastating, but it is what it is. The Clippers have to make some adjustments and move on.

Last night in Cleveland, however, a less anticipated but every bit as prevalent part of the game emerged to throw up a roadblock in the Clippers’ feel-good story. For some reason, out of the blue, sixth-man Mo Williams started talking about his contract situation and his role on the team.

“I just want to know where I stand with the Clippers,’ Williams told the Los Angeles Times. “”If you have a girlfriend and she tells you she loves you every day, obviously you know she loves you … the way (the Clippers) tell you they love you every day is by signing you to a contract extension.”

To be clear, Williams is not exactly being given the unwanted step-child treatment by the Clippers. He’s under a contract that pays him $8.5 million this season, and he has a player option that would pay him $8.5 million for next season. There aren’t many teams that would start talking about a contract extension a year and a half ahead of time, especially for a secondary player. Extend Chris Paul? Absolutely. Blake Griffin? Get it done! But Mo Williams is not exactly in the same class with those two perennial All-Stars.

After inferring that he might be a better player than either Chris Paul or Chauncey Billups, Williams seemed to go out of his way to express his displeasure with coming off the bench.

“For this team I have a role,” he said, “whether I accept it or not.”

On a night where he gave that interview – and you really should read the entire bizarre, even incongruous, conversation – Williams went out and shot 2-for-10 from the field and scored five points in 34 minutes . . .starter minutes, though he came off the bench. His uninspired play had a lot lot to do with the Clippers’ loss to Williams’ former team, the Cleveland Cavaliers.

The Cavaliers are no longer the laughing stock they were last season, but the Clippers should have been more than a match.

Perhaps someone should tell Mo Williams that the way you get a contract extension is by making yourself an invaluable member of the team, both on and off the court.

“I could be traded tomorrow,” said Williams. “I could be traded next week or before March 15, [the trade deadline], or before next season. They aren’t going to trade Blake Griffin.”

If he keeps playing like he did last night and talking like he did before the game, he just might inspire the team after all . . .to trade him long before a contract extension is really an issue.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba2-trouble-in-clipper-land
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-simers-clippers-20120209,0,5994992,full.column

Hawkeye15
02-09-2012, 04:52 PM
If you were as good as them Mo, LeBron would have a ring. Shut up and play.

Lakeshow24KB
02-09-2012, 04:58 PM
What a ***

Chronz
02-09-2012, 05:00 PM
Its a weird situation, not sure what we should do with him.

blastmasta26
02-09-2012, 05:00 PM
He's an idiot. Confidence is one thing, delusion is another.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-09-2012, 05:02 PM

trade him to the lakers;)

theducksmuggler
02-09-2012, 05:04 PM
Its a shame that Chauncey is out for the year because now they are pretty thin at the guard position, but if I'm the Clippers I'm calling every other team seeing what I can get for this guy...he has never won a thing, he puts up way to many shots, extremely inconsistant, and is known to disappear in the playoffs, and to top it all off a horrible attitude that could maybe rub off some of their younger players...get him out of there!

Gritz
02-09-2012, 05:07 PM
He stays complaining. It burned me up when he whined his way into the all star game a couple years ago

Hawkeye15
02-09-2012, 05:11 PM

with Billups out, it makes it easier to get Mo time. For now at least.

xxplayerxx23
02-09-2012, 05:12 PM
He sounds like a baby, But he can score. he is a good playe nowhere as good as Paul but he is a very good player esp 25 mins off the bench. If he cant accept that then he wont play the game anymore. He wouldnt start for that many teams, He is getting paied to do what he is told and 25 mins a game is what hes being told to do

PleaseBeNice
02-09-2012, 05:13 PM
Ive never liked this guy. This adds too it

llemon
02-09-2012, 06:57 PM
Mo has always been an idiot. Reminds me somewhat of Ricky Davis.

Raph12
02-09-2012, 06:58 PM

It depends on how much this affects your team, if his *****ing and moaning is getting cancerous, you'll have to cut your losses and trade him. But if he is still playing well and giving the effort required, keep him anyways.

Birdmannn
02-09-2012, 06:58 PM

Haha thats exactly what I was thinking when reading this. I look at Bibby in a bad light now for the same reason.

GiantsSwaGG
02-09-2012, 08:14 PM
He's a B****!

Cal827
02-09-2012, 08:40 PM
Mo' Minutes mean Mo' Bittches for Mo Williams :D

beasted86
02-09-2012, 09:17 PM
I don't hate any NBA player, but I've always disliked Mo Williams the most in the NBA.

Bulls_fan90
02-09-2012, 09:37 PM

The same LeBron that failed with Wade and Bosh?

Hawkeye15
02-09-2012, 09:47 PM
The same LeBron that failed with Wade and Bosh?

Yes, the same one bitter Bulls fan :p

Last year was the 1st time I have absolutely nothing to say in Bron's defense. He sucked in the finals.

MU and UW Fan
02-09-2012, 09:57 PM
Mo is such an *******. He used to be my neighbor when he played for the Bucks. I understand most players are cocky, but Mo thinks he is the best to ever play the game and thinks he is a #1 option on any team. Glad he isn't on the Bucks anymore. So overrated.

SportsAndrew25
02-09-2012, 10:46 PM
I think the thing that is going to kill this team more is the loss of Billups. Losing a clutch player and leader is always devastating.

DODGERS&LAKERS
02-10-2012, 02:07 AM
Lakers have a 9 million dollar TPE and a couple first rounders for you Clipps.... Just sign on the dotted line.....

BlondeBomber41
02-10-2012, 03:50 AM
It's sad that players like Jason Terry, Manu Ginobili, Bobby Jackson in the past, Jamal Crawford, even JR Smith can accept a role as the 6th man off the bench getting good minutes and realize that they are still an important part of the team and here you have Mo Williams *****ing like he isn't even in the rotation.

5ass
02-10-2012, 04:03 AM
contract year

Jenceman
02-10-2012, 04:12 AM
Trade him across the hall :pray:

sunsfan88
02-10-2012, 04:17 AM
Lol he's making $8 million this year with a player option next year for another $8 million.

He's basically on a two yr $16 million contract right now and he's whining about getting a new extension? GTFOH!!!

But on the plus side, Clippers are finally starting to have some problems. Their season was going way too well before and now at least they'll have some advercity to face much like the rest of the NBA teams.

thrilla11
02-10-2012, 04:22 AM
I don't blame Mo. I mean who doesn't want security for themselves and their families. But I disagree with the way he's going about his business. This should be behind closed doors.

thekmp211
02-10-2012, 09:43 AM
I don't blame Mo. I mean who doesn't want security for themselves and their families. But I disagree with the way he's going about his business. This should be behind closed doors.

dudes making 8.5 mil this year, he and his family will be just fine. from a playing-time stance, he has been playing plenty and will play even more now chuancey is down. he would have been a nice trade chip, otherwise.

Chi City23
02-10-2012, 10:19 AM
He's a B****!

My thought exactly

kdspurman
02-10-2012, 10:27 AM
It's sad that players like Jason Terry, Manu Ginobili, Bobby Jackson in the past, Jamal Crawford, even JR Smith can accept a role as the 6th man off the bench getting good minutes and realize that they are still an important part of the team and here you have Mo Williams *****ing like he isn't even in the rotation.

Last year, a 6th man in Terry is the reason they won it all. In 05, Manu coming off the bench in the playoffs is probably the main reason why they won it all that year. Odom coming off the bench for LA was a huge contributor. Mo is just caught up in all the Clipper hype and is mad he's not getting any attention. He's putting himself before the team.

Chavacano
02-10-2012, 11:03 AM
It depends on how much this affects your team, if his *****ing and moaning is getting cancerous, you'll have to cut your losses and trade him. But if he is still playing well and giving the effort required, keep him anyways.

I agree. Let him whine all he wants as long as he's playing well.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
02-10-2012, 11:09 AM
Stephen Jackson for Mo. Or 3 way where Jackson goes to Clippers and Mo to Lakers and Bucks get Odom tpe.