PDA

View Full Version : Rockets GM Daryl Morey: "Should Have Never Cut Jeremy Lin"

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-09-2012, 04:00 PM
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/7558830/houston-rockets-gm-daryl-morey-regrets-cutting-new-york-knicks-pg-jeremy-lin

Houston Rockets general manager Daryl Morey regrets letting go of New York Knicks point guard Jeremy Lin.

"We should have kept (Jeremy Lin). Did not know he was this good," Morey wrote on his official Twitter account on Thursday. "Anyone who says they knew misleading U."

In a separate tweet, Morey praised Lin, writing "Finally, really happy for (Lin). Very hard working, nice, & humble. He has a great, great future."

Lin has surprised many talent evaluators with his play in the Knicks' past three games.

The undrafted former Harvard standout has scored 25.3 points and handed out 8.3 points over his past three games -- all Knicks victories.

In his first start, Lin scored 28 points and handed out eight assists against the Utah Jazz in a game in which New York (11-15) was missing Amare Stoudemire (death in the family) and had lost Carmelo Anthony just minutes into the first quarter due to a groin injury.

The 23-year-old followed that performance with a 23-point, 10-assist night against the Washington Wizards on Wednesday.

Lin was released in late December by the Rockets to make room for Houston's signing of Samuel Dalembert. Houston already had three point guards on its roster, and all of their contracts were guaranteed. Lin had a non-guaranteed contract.

Earlier in the preseason, Lin was released by the Golden State Warriors, who let him go to create enough salary cap space for a four-year offer sheet worth nearly $43 million to then-restricted free agent DeAndre Jordan. The Clippers matched the offer.

The Knicks signed Lin off of waivers two days after he was released by the Rockets.

New York needed another guard after rookie Iman Shumpert went down with a knee injury in its season-opening win over Boston.

Lin served as the Knicks' third-string guard before he was sent by the team its D-League affiliate, the Erie BayHawks. Lin spent six days with the BayHawks.

With starting point guard Toney Douglas struggling with his shot, Lin received significant minutes for the first time against New Jersey last Saturday.

He responded with 25 points and seven assists, many of which were recorded against Deron Williams.

Lin is the first player since LeBron James to score at least 20 points and record at least eight assists in his first start. James accomplished the feat as a rookie in 2003.

Lin and the Knicks will face Kobe Bryant and the Los Angeles Lakers at Madison Square Garden on Friday night in a game televised by ESPN.

Heediot
02-09-2012, 04:01 PM
I wonder how Yao felt about that?

Trace
02-09-2012, 04:04 PM
And this is not just anyone...it's Daryl Morey, arguably the best GM in the league.

Gritz
02-09-2012, 04:09 PM
I wonder how Yao felt about that?

Probably wondering why the back of his jersey doesn't say Jeremy

VladTheImpaler
02-09-2012, 04:11 PM
And this is not just anyone...it's Daryl Morey, arguably the best GM in the league.

He's what now?

Jint.
02-09-2012, 04:13 PM
payback for the T-mac trade, Morey..

nate2usmc
02-09-2012, 04:14 PM

He is amazing but I gotta give that title to Presti.

LMAO

Seriously, GS and HOU should not feel bad about cutting this guy. They both had enough depth at the guard positions. It just happens plus he's only played 3 games.

jp611
02-09-2012, 04:16 PM
I think we've had enough Jeremy Lin threads now... Please don't tell me we're going to have to have a Jeremy Lin thread like we did a Tim Tebow thread :pity:

CEasFiRe
02-09-2012, 04:20 PM
one man's stupid decision is another man's best decision

DaVille
02-09-2012, 04:21 PM
at least he is honest. Nobody foresaw LinSanity

spreadeagle
02-09-2012, 04:24 PM
hate to be Debby Downer but its 3 games ppl..wait till Melo gets back,the ball stops with him

jp611
02-09-2012, 04:25 PM
Oh, and GarPax>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Morey

pacofunk64
02-09-2012, 04:46 PM
Time Out!!!! Blow the whistle! Seriously we are 3 starts in and everyone is crowning him? Look I love what I see but lets slow down for **** sake. Let's see where he is at 2-3 weeks from now then we can crown him if need be.

NYYCowboys
02-09-2012, 04:54 PM
Does Skip Bayless love him yet?

shep33
02-09-2012, 04:55 PM
This is why Yao retired

Mr.SmackYoMama
02-09-2012, 04:55 PM
I've never seen so much hype about a player over 3 games.....Really!!! I'm a GS fan and love the local kid but comon this is Tebow-esk it's kind of ridiculous. The kid can ball but is he the next Jordan......NO!

AddiX
02-09-2012, 04:58 PM
I have to imagine being Chinese had something to do with him not getting a real chance, even in ny for not the injuries he wouldn't be playing right now.

Watching him play, he does so much that you demand of a pg, makes no sense why he went through the cracks the way he has, everywhere he's been.

My Knicks didn't pull any genius moves here, we got lucky with him.

nate2usmc
02-09-2012, 05:02 PM
I've never seen so much hype about a player over 3 games.....Really!!! I'm a GS fan and love the local kid but comon this is Tebow-esk it's kind of ridiculous. The kid can ball but is he the next Jordan......NO!

Relax. No one, on this forum even uttered the word, ELITE regarding the guy.

AddiX
02-09-2012, 05:02 PM

This hype should be expected, a Chinese kid from Barbara, cut from his last 2 teams, coming from the d league only because we have injuries, no melo no amare, brand new team, and he's averaging around 8 assists, amd scoring around 23 a game and has our first 3 game win streak of the year.

Im not calling him Jordan, but it's damn impressive, as a Knicks fanni can tell you this is the first time since the melo trade we have looked like a team, and you can see the players are actually enjoying playing together. That's what the hype is for. All that "god" crap I can care less for.

Here's his highlights Vs the nets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0oaqWMLdwk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

sep11ie
02-09-2012, 05:07 PM
Upon reading that Lin was cut, Yao Ming's foot broke.

Kashmir13579
02-09-2012, 05:09 PM
payback for the T-mac trade, Morey..

:laugh2:

Sox72
02-09-2012, 05:10 PM
Relax. No one, on this forum even uttered the word, ELITE regarding the guy.

Eh, there was a Knicks fan yesterday that said he "IS" a superstar already. I can try to find it if you'd like but I'm sure you really don't think it's that important.

Missing56&33
02-09-2012, 05:12 PM
Rockets GM Daryl Morey: "Should Have Never Cut Jeremy Lin"

The former owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars Wayne Weaver said he never should have let Tom Coughlin go. Tom Coughlin comes to the Giants and win two championships.

Could Jeremy Lin do the same for the Knicks? :shrug: Some FO people just don't know talent when they have it.

nate2usmc
02-09-2012, 05:59 PM
Eh, there was a Knicks fan yesterday that said he "IS" a superstar already. I can try to find it if you'd like but I'm sure you really don't think it's that important.

Dammit! There is always 1! out of 200 somethin posters lol

WildcatsPride
02-09-2012, 06:51 PM
Wow, everyone is jumping on the Jeremy Lin bandwagon lol. I'm not saying he sucks or anything, but it's only 3 games, and the numbers he put up were against teams that aren't too great. Let's see him perform well against better teams, and lets see how he does in the playoffs (I'm assuming the Knicks will make it) before crowning him as the next big thing in the NBA.

LAKobeBryant
02-09-2012, 07:18 PM
gotta let your rooks play and develop

IndyRealist
02-09-2012, 07:20 PM
at least he is honest. Nobody foresaw LinSanity

I did. Two summers ago I was screaming for the Pacers to take him instead of Magnum Rolle. At the very least he would have been a good rotation player with a scorer's mentality. At best, well ok I didn't see him quite this good.

Gideon
02-09-2012, 07:24 PM
Does Skip Bayless love him yet?

Yes! Today on First Take he said "All He Does Is Lin"! Haha!

NY2LA
02-09-2012, 07:31 PM
I am happy to see what Lin is doing for the Knicks.

Lets see what he does against a team like the Lakers tonight.

Todays game will be a good test.

SouthSideRookie
02-09-2012, 07:31 PM
He is amazing but I gotta give that title to Presti.

It's really hard to overcome injuries, it's not Morey's fault. Must be nice to hit a one in a million jackpot with Durant and Westbrook.

[QUOTE=Jint.;20895908]payback for the T-mac trade, Morey..

Actually as terrible as Douglas was playing it was looking the the Knicks were well on their way to a top 5 pick, with Lin now it's more likely they will just avoid the lottery.

Oh, and GarPax>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Morey

Um no.

Jeremy Lin would not have gotten a chance in Houston, going up against Lowry and Dragic is a huge difference from Davis and Douglas.

If you actually followed the whole twitter chat several Rockets fans kept asking about Lin so Morey finally replied, he ended it with 'he wouldn't be getting playing time here. Linsanity wouldn't be happening here', pretty evident tongue was well planted firmly in cheek.

Lim
02-09-2012, 07:44 PM
the rockets obviously didnt watch the nba summer league a few years ago. lin was lighting it up and taking john wall to school (back when john walls hype was through the roof).

Scouting/drafting contrary to popular belief is not a crap shoot, just look @ the Spurs.

SouthSideRookie
02-09-2012, 07:59 PM
the rockets obviously didnt watch the nba summer league a few years ago. lin was lighting it up and taking john wall to school (back when john walls hype was through the roof).

Scouting/drafting contrary to popular belief is not a crap shoot, just look @ the Spurs.

Why do you think Morey picked him up, he's an excelent talent evaluator. Morey was negotiating the Gasol deal and was likely planning to have Lin as the backup point guard since Dragic was involved in the original deal. This man has an ego, why do you think he said "Did not know he was this good, Anyone who says they knew misleading U." Isn't it telling that some teams were looking at Flynn instead.

The Rockets also had to make a roster spot for Dalembert, wouldn't make much sense for them to keep their third string pg over a center they desperately needed who by the way has made a big difference.

Slimsim
02-09-2012, 08:11 PM
People keep saying three games but no one mention he did this without melo and stat in 2of those games

DJcomestar

:clap:

unclekurt2883
i think if lin can average 13 ppg and 7 assists a game for the next 3 weeks i would be really happy. i dont think gonna be the next jordan or anything like that.

xbrackattackx
02-09-2012, 08:13 PM
This hype should be expected, a Chinese kid from Barbara, cut from his last 2 teams, coming from the d league only because we have injuries, no melo no amare, brand new team, and he's averaging around 8 assists, amd scoring around 23 a game and has our first 3 game win streak of the year.

Im not calling him Jordan, but it's damn impressive, as a Knicks fanni can tell you this is the first time since the melo trade we have looked like a team, and you can see the players are actually enjoying playing together. That's what the hype is for. All that "god" crap I can care less for.

Here's his highlights Vs the nets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0oaqWMLdwk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I lold at Knicks fanni.

unclekurt2883
02-09-2012, 08:14 PM
i think if lin can average 13 ppg and 7 assists a game for the next 3 weeks i would be really happy. i dont think gonna be the next jordan or anything like that.

^ he gonna be the next jordan or anthing like that.

xbrackattackx
02-09-2012, 08:15 PM
^ he gonna be the next jordan or anthing like that.

Wut?

unclekurt2883
02-09-2012, 08:17 PM

i forgot to put "he" before gonna

fadedmario
02-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Every Knicks player gets hyped up by the fans only to let down the entire fanbase 3 weeks later. I thought after Iman Shumpert this would be over. Guess not. 3 games and people are talking like this guy is the next big thing. lol

John Walls Era
02-09-2012, 08:44 PM

Slimsim
02-09-2012, 08:47 PM
Every Knicks player gets hyped up by the fans only to let down the entire fanbase 3 weeks later. I thought after Iman Shumpert this would be over. Guess not. 3 games and people are talking like this guy is the next big thing. lol

We Don't make the threads as in Knicks fans, I swear do you blind ****s even look at who make these threads most of the times or just talk **** to earn cool points on this class less forum ?

blastmasta26
02-09-2012, 08:50 PM

Jeremy Lin can run an offense, attack the basket, and defend. Plus I've heard he's the hardest worker on the team. While some of the claims about him are premature, what he's done so far is impressive and he has a bright future as he continues to develop his game. And Shumpert has still played well, some guys got carried away with hyping him but he is a solid defender and can attack the basket well. He just needs to play to his strengths with better shot selection.

$KnicksAndKobe$
02-09-2012, 09:11 PM
Unlike Shump, Lin has shown his potential with stats and wins so far.

benzni
02-09-2012, 09:18 PM
lol. what about the warriors, they gave him up too.

Mr.SmackYoMama
02-09-2012, 09:57 PM
Jeremy Lin just an average player by the end of the season.....Quote It!!!! LOL

SportsAndrew25
02-09-2012, 10:35 PM
Lin 4 mvp.

sb123
02-09-2012, 10:57 PM
Lin is so good he has turned Tyson Chandler and Jared Jeffries into scoring threats.

Enuff said.

sb123
02-09-2012, 10:59 PM
Jeremy Lin just an average player by the end of the season.....Quote It!!!! LOL

Which is much better then anything else they had a PG ..... that is the rich irony of it for Knick fans. We win either way.

If he become an All Star, great.

If he become an average NBA PG, great.

Punk
02-09-2012, 11:48 PM
Time Out!!!! Blow the whistle! Seriously we are 3 starts in and everyone is crowning him? Look I love what I see but lets slow down for **** sake. Let's see where he is at 2-3 weeks from now then we can crown him if need be.

2-3 weeks his points will probably drop when Amare returns on Tuesday and Melo returns. But, crowning his ability of change of pace, court vision, passing, defense and PG leadership isn't going to change in 2-3 weeks.

Can you really call a guy who made Steve Novak score 19 points twice, Tyson Chandler hit the 10+ point mark twice, Jared Jeffries in double figures in both games as a starter, a fluke? If you can make 3rd string players and a player who only averages 10 points an offensive threat then you are a legit PG.

That's the reason why he is getting praise. Besides, the Knicks have an easy schedule next week and that will be used against him if he continues to put up these numbers.

nate2usmc
02-10-2012, 04:53 PM
[QUOTE=nate2usmc;20895918]He is amazing but I gotta give that title to Presti.

It's really hard to overcome injuries, it's not Morey's fault. Must be nice to hit a one in a million jackpot with Durant and Westbrook.

Actually as terrible as Douglas was playing it was looking the the Knicks were well on their way to a top 5 pick, with Lin now it's more likely they will just avoid the lottery.

Um no.

Jeremy Lin would not have gotten a chance in Houston, going up against Lowry and Dragic is a huge difference from Davis and Douglas.

If you actually followed the whole twitter chat several Rockets fans kept asking about Lin so Morey finally replied, he ended it with 'he wouldn't be getting playing time here. Linsanity wouldn't be happening here', pretty evident tongue was well planted firmly in cheek.

Don't forget Harden, Ibaka and acquiring Perkins by givin up Green who hasn't played a game this season (although through bad luck) Daquan Cook is a good backup PG and Sefolosha isn't bad. Keep in mind, by saying Presti is the best GM, I'm not even close to hinting that Morey sucks. Like I said before, it isn't anyone GS's or HOU's fault for cutting Lin. They are good to go at his position.

nate2usmc
02-11-2012, 01:46 AM
Also add Eric Maynor in there with Collison and Nazr Mohammed as good serviceable backups for cheap..and Serge is only gettin better!

SouthSideRookie
02-11-2012, 03:26 AM
[QUOTE=SouthSideRookie;20897744]

Don't forget Harden, Ibaka and acquiring Perkins by givin up Green who hasn't played a game this season (although through bad luck) Daquan Cook is a good backup PG and Sefolosha isn't bad. Keep in mind, by saying Presti is the best GM, I'm not even close to hinting that Morey sucks. Like I said before, it isn't anyone GS's or HOU's fault for cutting Lin. They are good to go at his position.

Go look at Morey's draft history, we can do this all day. What he hasn't been able to do is get that superstar player to come to Houston but that isn't on Morey because as we all have seen stars want to team up with other superstars for now.

I do agree with you about the Warriors and Rockets pg situation, they are set at the position. Dragic is as good a backup as there is and he displayed it this week by starting for Lowry since Kyle went down with an injury and Goran lead the Rockets to road wins at Denver, Portland and Phoenix.

Gideon
02-11-2012, 04:31 AM
This is payback for the T-Mac trade fiasco. The Knicks still have to give the Rockets a 1st rounder this upcoming draft. Top 5 protected. So we deserved Lin in return.

TmacBryant
02-11-2012, 05:45 AM
"We should have kept (Jeremy Lin). Did not know he was this good," Morey wrote on his official Twitter account on Thursday. "Anyone who says they knew misleading U."

umm anyone who saw Lin destroy John Wall in that summer league game knew that Lin was good. Lakers needed a PG and they passed him up too.....

Mishmin
02-11-2012, 06:26 AM
No ****

flimflamman
02-11-2012, 07:32 AM
For anyone who has ever been passed over at work or underrated Lin is the perfect story.

Mcdoh
02-11-2012, 09:02 AM
well if lin can keep it up until the season is over then its too bad for the rockets GM Daryl Morey not realizing his potential..its the same with the hornets trading bryant's draft rights to the lakers for Vlade Divac..

Mcdoh
02-11-2012, 09:03 AM

umm anyone who saw Lin destroy John Wall in that summer league game knew that Lin was good. Lakers needed a PG and they passed him up too.....

i think lakers offered him a contract back then but lin decided to go to golden state..

SouthSideRookie
02-11-2012, 10:04 AM
This is payback for the T-Mac trade fiasco. The Knicks still have to give the Rockets a 1st rounder this upcoming draft. Top 5 protected. So we deserved Lin in return.

See post 30.

See post 32.

well if lin can keep it up until the season is over then its too bad for the rockets GM Daryl Morey not realizing his potential..its the same with the hornets trading bryant's draft rights to the lakers for Vlade Divac..

It's been reported that the Knicks were also on the verge of releasing Jeremy, isn't it telling that he was about to get released by a team that was desperate for a competent pg.

nate2usmc
02-11-2012, 11:18 AM
See post 30.

See post 32.

It's been reported that the Knicks were also on the verge of releasing Jeremy, isn't it telling that he was about to get released by a team that was desperate for a competent pg.

That shows how awesome the Knicks FO is/has been...like when they passed on Brandon Jennings...

Verbal Christ
02-11-2012, 12:31 PM
funny how knick fan feels the need for vindication after routinely being bent over and lubed up on trades and acquisitions. darryl morey is a revolutionary GM in basketball and his track record speaks for itself. nobody is going to be 100% on anything and Lin got away, okay, but he wouldnt be playing in Houston and its good for him that he found a location that would be able to use him effectively, but please dont act as if its a marvel of scouting or player development too bad for NY that as soon as Melo returns this whole sensation will come to a complete stop similar to the ball movement when the pass reaches Melo. enjoy it while you can.

acquiring luis scola for peanuts
acquiring kyle lowry for peanuts
drafting carl landry,aaron brooks,chandler parsons
getting ANYTHING for Tmac considering EVERYBODY knew he was broken down and worthless.

etc... etc...

knick fan is making himself look stupid by somehow trying to talk down on morey's GM abilities ... c'mon man get it together.

oh and this just in ..... 30 other teams passed on Lin, and its cute how your team is comprised of a bunch of rocket scrubs from the past (novak,lin,jeffries) ... imitation is the mother of all flattery ... Thanks!

TmacBryant
02-11-2012, 01:09 PM
See post 30.

See post 32.

Yeah I knew they had to make room for Dalembert, I see now that they have way too many guards on their roster anyways. But to say that he never knew he was that good is a lie.

futureman
02-11-2012, 01:42 PM
New York won't be able to keep him unless they trade Amare or Melo for an expiring contract. They won't have the cap room to keep him unless they get rid of somebody.

DrDre94
02-11-2012, 02:44 PM
New York won't be able to keep him unless they trade Amare or Melo for an expiring contract. They won't have the cap room to keep him unless they get rid of somebody.

You my friend don't know what you're talking about...

zoned88
02-11-2012, 03:04 PM

knicks own his bird rights.. They can go over cap to match any opposing offer..

jam
02-12-2012, 12:41 AM
Can you imagine how big a story this would've been for the Rockets if they had kept Lin? Yao drops out of the league just last season and J. Lin tears it up as an Asian American sensation.

phoenix_bladen
02-12-2012, 01:34 AM
Can you imagine how big a story this would've been for the Rockets if they had kept Lin? Yao drops out of the league just last season and J. Lin tears it up as an Asian American sensation.

why?

NY has a much bigger asian population and biggest media market in the world

the fact he's doing this in NY is crazy and making him blow up

houston is nothing compared to NY

and LOL to that idiot that thinks we can't resign him after this season

we have his early bird rights and also he's a RFA that can't be offered more than the mid level

phoenix_bladen
02-12-2012, 01:35 AM

:facepalm:

nate2usmc
02-12-2012, 02:13 PM
funny how knick fan feels the need for vindication after routinely being bent over and lubed up on trades and acquisitions. darryl morey is a revolutionary GM in basketball and his track record speaks for itself. nobody is going to be 100% on anything and Lin got away, okay, but he wouldnt be playing in Houston and its good for him that he found a location that would be able to use him effectively, but please dont act as if its a marvel of scouting or player development too bad for NY that as soon as Melo returns this whole sensation will come to a complete stop similar to the ball movement when the pass reaches Melo. enjoy it while you can.

getting ANYTHING for Tmac considering EVERYBODY knew he was broken down and worthless.

etc... etc...

knick fan is making himself look stupid by somehow trying to talk down on morey's GM abilities ... c'mon man get it together.

oh and this just in ..... 30 other teams passed on Lin, and its cute how your team is comprised of a bunch of rocket scrubs from the past (novak,lin,jeffries) ... imitation is the mother of all flattery ... Thanks!

Relax. The fanbase is just now recovering from the raping and only a few knicks fans feel that way. Knicks suspect FO got lucky that Lin panned out before they cut him like the others. GS and HOU weren't stupid/wrong for cutting Lin. Knicks fans know firsthand that Morey is amazing.

dh144498
02-14-2012, 02:44 PM
it's only 3 games

Now it's 5 games and tonight will be the 6th. Next thing you know people will start saying "it's only 10 games...blah blah", then 20 games, then the whole season. Then there still will be trolls saying "it's only 1 season." :facepalm:

Trolls are trolls. Haters will be haters.

lvlheaded
02-14-2012, 02:57 PM

etc... etc...

Most Knicks fans would never say a bad word of Morey, we know he's a great GM.

Also, Jeffries was a Knick before he was a Rocket, we traded him to the Rockets in a cap space move. Just to clear that up

FarOutIos
02-14-2012, 03:01 PM
So Morey makes a mistake for not keeping Lin and Morey is still amazing?

People on this site believe their own hype too much... Don't get me wrong... Morey is a good GM. But there are about bunch of other really good GMs as well. There are only a few GMs who may not be able to keep up with the rest.

You have to remember that ownership and coaches also factor into a teams decision making and overall team success. If a good player is taken by a good GM, but has a bad coach... it would seem as if the GM is not doing a good job. Then you factor in team needs and team chemistry... There are too many factors.

Anyone who thinks any of these GMs are more than just good GMs who at times get really lucky are fooling themselves.

FarOutIos
02-14-2012, 03:07 PM
Oh... and does the Sixers success mean that their GM is great?

FarOutIos
02-14-2012, 03:16 PM
Oh... and Philly drafted Louis Williams while Houston took Luther Head much much earlier...

They also drafted Jrue Holiday... a few picks after Terrance Williams... who now plays for Houston...

They also traded for the now great Spencer Hawes by trading away Samuel Dalambert...who now plays for Houston.

And look at their record... must be doing something right...

nycsports2
02-14-2012, 03:37 PM

:facepalm: ...... unfortunatley your wish will not be granted lol