PDA

View Full Version : Spears: Wilson Chandler intends to sign with Nuggets

DenButsu
02-09-2012, 04:10 AM
Wilson Chandler intends to sign with Nuggets
By Marc J. Spears, Yahoo! Sports 3 hours, 5 minutes ago

Restricted free-agent forward Wilson Chandler plans to re-sign with the Denver Nuggets once he finishes playing in China, his agent told Yahoo! Sports.

Chandler signed with Zhejiang Guangsha of the Chinese Basketball Association during the NBA lockout and is committed to stay with the team until China’s season is over. Chandler is drawing “significant interest” from other NBA teams, Chandler’s agent, Chris Luchey said, but he wants to re-sign with the Nuggets for either the rest or the season or a longer-term deal.

Nuggets general manager Masai Ujiri acknowledged the team’s interest in re-signing Chandler. The Nuggets have the right to match any offer Chandler receives from another NBA team.

“Wilson likes their direction and the stabilization of their roster in Denver with the young talent,” Luchey said in a phone interview from China. “He wants to see how they develop as a team. It’s a unique situation. The ball is in their court. If Wilson is comfortable, he will be a part of their core group.”

Ujiri plans on visiting Chandler in China during Zhejiang Guangsha’s regular-season finale on Feb. 15 or in the postseason. Zhejiang Guangsha is expected to make the playoffs. Chandler is free to sign with the Nuggets once the team’s season ends.

Chandler averaged 12.5 points and five rebounds in 21 games with the Nuggets last season after being dealt from the New York Knicks in the Carmelo Anthony trade. Luchey said Chandler, who made $2.1 million last season, has been communicating with his old Nuggets teammates regularly from China.

The Nuggets recently lost their leading scorer, forward Danilo Gallinari, for about a month after he severely sprained his left ankle.

“Our goal is to re-sign Wilson Chandler,” Ujiri said. “We like everything about him. Wilson was one of the key players we got in the trade with New York and he’s a phenomenal player, shooter and defender.”Yahoo (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AuVLZLqgtnDHJZXvagWFvby8vLYF?slug=mc-spears_wilson_chandler_nuggets_nba_020812)

kblo247
02-09-2012, 04:42 AM
Not like he had much of a choice. Teams don't have money, so he can't get a big offer sheet. He basically got ****ed into staying. Either he signs now with them for a reasonable amount, takes a **** offer sheet and gets stuck with them at lower than market value, or sits out and waits for the summer when other teams have cap space

ACanadian
02-09-2012, 04:59 AM
Damn thats too bad for the Raptors :(
B.C will still try though

smith&wesson
02-09-2012, 05:03 AM
noooo wilson whyyy

Knicks21
02-09-2012, 05:07 AM
Good for the Nuggets, this guy is a great player.

jimm120
02-09-2012, 06:52 AM
technically what someone said, "no other choice".

Restricted free agent plus no money in-season by any team.

DenButsu
02-09-2012, 07:05 AM
What makes you guys automatically think he wouldn't want to return to the Nuggets? Where else do you think he'd rather play, and what is your basis for thinking that?

FarOutIos
02-09-2012, 07:39 AM
I am missing something? Why is everyone saying that teams don't have much money to spend?

I guess if you are looking at a few of the big market teams, then they are probably a little more restricted in what they can do...

But as a Kings fan, I wouldn't mind Chandler coming over to our team... We barely have enough salary to make it over the salary minimum. So I'm sure we have enough to sign him to any contract...

And, he would be an instant upgrade at our SF position. Salmons has not lived up to expectations. Add Chandler to a core of Cousins, Evans, Thornton... and all of our young role players. Not bad.

lavilevi23
02-09-2012, 07:41 AM
Good for Denver. They need him with Gallinari out.

NYKnickFanatic
02-09-2012, 07:41 AM
Obviously, hes a RFA anyway.

FarOutIos
02-09-2012, 07:45 AM
Not like he had much of a choice. Teams don't have money, so he can't get a big offer sheet.Where else do you think he'd rather play, and what is your basis for thinking that?
http://www.collegefun4u.com/track.php?u=12

Here it goes... the Kings can offer him as much as any team. He would be the starter at SF from day 1.

On Denver, he is fighting for minutes with Gallinari and Afflalo. Also, Al Harrington and Rudy Fernendez. Also, Denver picked Hamilton in the draft last year, so there's another SF to compete with...

And with the Kings, there is plenty of young talent at the other positions on the team.

Leftcoast_yg
02-09-2012, 08:35 AM
What makes you guys automatically think he wouldn't want to return to the Nuggets? Where else do you think he'd rather play, and what is your basis for thinking that?

Yeah man what is your basis for thinking that? Geesh you guys sound like an atheist crying about the morality of the bible, no basis to judge by :facepalm: right Den?;)

Master Mind
02-09-2012, 09:50 AM
When is he coming over?

BallIsAll
02-09-2012, 10:00 AM
A lot of haters here. He does have options he can wait for the summer and do a s&t he didn't say that though. HE SAID HE WANTS TO PLAY FOR DENVER BECAUSE OF THEIR DIRECTION AND WANTS TO BE A CORE GUY THERE. How's that hard to understand. It's like most of you read "I have no choice so I have to stay in Denver".

king4day
02-09-2012, 10:06 AM
If he's still gonna be a restricted FA this offseason then I have a hard time seeing Denver match what will be offered to him.

sb123
02-09-2012, 10:10 AM
A lot of haters here. He does have options he can wait for the summer and do a s&t he didn't say that though. HE SAID HE WANTS TO PLAY FOR DENVER BECAUSE OF THEIR DIRECTION AND WANTS TO BE A CORE GUY THERE. How's that hard to understand. It's like most of you read "I have no choice so I have to stay in Denver".

Very good player. You should resign him. He will sign because the money is great and he needs to secure his future. He ain't a "marketable" player. But Chandler does not want to be in Denver -- he wants to be in NY.

BallIsAll
02-09-2012, 10:42 AM
Very good player. You should resign him. He will sign because the money is great and he needs to secure his future. He ain't a "marketable" player. But Chandler does not want to be in Denver -- he wants to be in NY.

Yes he wants to play with the biggest ball stopper in the nba at his position because they're close to winning the championship lol

NYKnickFanatic
02-09-2012, 10:46 AM
Yes he wants to play with the biggest ball stopper in the nba at his position because they're close to winning the championship lol

Chandler loves NY. He didnt even want to be traded. I dont know how Denvers cap space is, but if they cant resign him this summer, he will be talking to the Knicks for sure.

CudiOnMyiPod
02-09-2012, 12:20 PM
I always thought he was better than Gallinari anyway.

thekmp211
02-09-2012, 12:36 PM
at least they keep one of the guys in china, and probably the best one of all to boot.

Tmath
02-09-2012, 12:40 PM
Chandler is a restricted free agent. Restricted free agents have up to March 1st in order for other teams to make an offer. If his Chinese team makes a deep run in the playoffs (which it seems they might) he won't be back to the NBA before that date.

In that case the only team he will be able to sign with is the team with his rights, which is Denver. The new CBA does not allow sign and trades during the season so he really doesn't have many options. The only way Chandler signs with another team is if the Nuggets renounce him or if he does not sign with another team until after this season is over.

I see him signing for the rest of the year with Denver where he can make a playoff run then testing free agency in the summer. It will also be better for the Nuggets because they will be able to make a S&T then if they choose to.

Tmath
02-09-2012, 12:45 PM
Chandler loves NY. He didnt even want to be traded. I dont know how Denvers cap space is, but if they cant resign him this summer, he will be talking to the Knicks for sure.

:rolleyes:

smith&wesson
02-09-2012, 01:10 PM
If he's still gonna be a restricted FA this offseason then I have a hard time seeing Denver match what will be offered to him.

i agree.

Evolution23
02-09-2012, 01:29 PM

Actually Chandler does want to play with the Knicks. He loves New York, loved being here, and was respected widely with the fans. Denver owns his rights. But you wouldn't know that cause you got your hater goggles on and they getting fogged up with envy.

nycericanguy
02-09-2012, 01:40 PM
I don't think Chandler has much choice this year, he's a RFA and teams are set for the most part and have spent their money.

If he signs only a 1 year deal that would indicate he doesn't want to be in DEN longterm. His agent has come out and said he would love to come back to NY.

Dankster
02-09-2012, 02:06 PM
I agree with the NY posters above. However, NY could only offer him the MLE long term, which I don't think a player at his age and of his caliber would take. He could easily command >$ 8 million per year in the open market.

I think most Knicks fans would LOVE for him to return as he can play multiple spots on the floor, but financially he'll probably be out of the teams salary range.

deaner
02-09-2012, 02:13 PM
I've got to think this is about retaining an asset. Wouldn't it be logical for denver to bring him back for the year and then S&T him this summer? He most likely will miss the March 1st deadline to sign an offer sheet to another team because he is stuck in China. Therefore, denver brings him back to cover for Gallinari's injury. It's my understanding that they don't have enough to re-up both W Chandler and T Lawson. I would think Lawson would be the priority due to depth on the wing. So denver signs him for the rest of the season and then S&Ts him in the summer for a future. Or tries to lump him with birdman's contract....

justinnum1
02-09-2012, 02:32 PM
no brainer

LAKobeBryant
02-09-2012, 02:52 PM
loyal staying with his city!

jimbobjarree
02-09-2012, 03:19 PM
I hope a team with cap drives up the price for them then, like my Jazz for example.

dtmagnet
02-09-2012, 06:17 PM
Hoping the Raptors can make a run at him either by making some moves or waiting til the offseason.

rockets-fan
02-09-2012, 06:31 PM
Always wanted the rockets to get this guy :(

latinofire21
02-09-2012, 07:32 PM

Hes saying all the right things because he has no other real options contender wise. If he signs a long term deal then he really means it. If he does a 1 year deal so hes unrestricted next year then he clearly wants out.

My money is since the season is practically over when he has to sign with a team that he does a one year deal and tests the free agent market in the off season.

It wont be because the Nuggets suck for him doing that. Thats the financially responsible thing to do in my opinion if I were him. He gets to pick where he lives and if he doesnt want to live in Denver he has the option to go to the destination he prefers in the off season.

I honestly would love him back in NYK but I know its highly unlikely that will happen. I think he would be an incredible addition to Portland or San Antonio moving forward.

After reading that sarcastic fluff piece on D Howard going to the Spurs I think that team would be real sick with D Howard and Wilson Chandler.

IndyRealist
02-09-2012, 07:48 PM
I feel confident the Pacers would throw 1yr, 9m at him. He'd then be unrestricted next year and the Pacer could try to get him to stay.

BirdIsTheWord
02-10-2012, 12:56 AM
Can he play for the Nuggets right now, please?

DenButsu
02-10-2012, 03:10 AM
Yeah man what is your basis for thinking that? Geesh you guys sound like an atheist crying about the morality of the bible, no basis to judge by :facepalm: right Den?;)

Heh, well if by that you mean that they're making unsubstantiated claims without providing any evidence for them, then I guess I could say that's right.

That said, though, that's not the analogy I'd choose to bring to the NBA forum. :cool:

So I'd prefeer just to keep it to basketball talk and ask everyone who's asserting or insinuating that Chandler wants out of Denver: What proof do you have of this, other than your own wishful thinking?

latinofire21
02-10-2012, 03:25 AM
Den I see where your going with this but its the same both ways. He hasnt said he wants to sign long term with the Nuggets either. It will all be answered when hes allowed to come back to the NBA.

I highly doubt he will sign a long term deal without testing the market. He was looking for a big payday before the Knicks traded him to the Nuggets so he clearly will not just sacrifice the bidding process like that.

The most sensible thing he will probably do is sign a 1 year deal to test the free agent market next year as an unrestricted free agent. Denver will still have his Bird rights so they could essentially sign and trade him if he wants out or offer him the most money to stay if they feel he is a keeper to the team.

I think it will be more of a sign and trade because I dont think Denver will want to pay what he is looking for per year.

AddiX
02-10-2012, 03:35 AM
As a knick fan, I miss Chandler a lot, he never complains, just plays hars, and he's the kindnof player does everything. The kind of player every team would love to have.

DenButsu
02-10-2012, 05:16 AM
Den I see where your going with this but its the same both ways. He hasnt said he wants to sign long term with the Nuggets either. It will all be answered when hes allowed to come back to the NBA.

I highly doubt he will sign a long term deal without testing the market. He was looking for a big payday before the Knicks traded him to the Nuggets so he clearly will not just sacrifice the bidding process like that.

The most sensible thing he will probably do is sign a 1 year deal to test the free agent market next year as an unrestricted free agent. Denver will still have his Bird rights so they could essentially sign and trade him if he wants out or offer him the most money to stay if they feel he is a keeper to the team.

I think it will be more of a sign and trade because I dont think Denver will want to pay what he is looking for per year.

True, it remains to be seen whether the Nuggs will sign him long term now or he'll test the market this summer.

My only point is that, as far as I'm aware, he's given absolutely no indication that he wants out. Although if he has, actually, and anybody can point me to a link, I'd want to see it. But so far nobody has been able to do that, so it seems to me they're just making hopeful assumptions. That's all I'm saying.

Corey
02-10-2012, 10:39 AM
He literally doesn't have a choice. After March 1, he isn't allowed to sign an offer sheet until the off-season.

The new CBA prohibits in-season sign-and-trades. If he wants to play in the NBA this season after March 1st, it has to be with the Nuggets.

Same with Aaron Brooks.

ewing
02-10-2012, 10:46 AM
Heh, well if by that you mean that they're making unsubstantiated claims without providing any evidence for them, then I guess I could say that's right.

That said, though, that's not the analogy I'd choose to bring to the NBA forum. :cool:

So I'd prefeer just to keep it to basketball talk and ask everyone who's asserting or insinuating that Chandler wants out of Denver: What proof do you have of this, other than your own wishful thinking?

Any idea when he will come back?

nycericanguy
02-10-2012, 11:27 AM
I'm too lazy to look for it but there was an article where his agent talked about how much Chandler loved NY and that he would love to come back. Def a long shot though unless he takes the MLE this summer. I also remember hearing how he was generally just not happy in Denver, that might have changed though, that was months ago. Haven't really followed Wil too much lately, just Gallo.

He'll definitely be in DEN though this year though, as Corey said, he doesn't really have a choice if he wants to play in the NBA again.

DenButsu
02-10-2012, 12:50 PM
Any idea when he will come back?

From what I understand it all depends on how deep of a playoff run the team he plays for in China makes. The longer they're in it, the longer he stays over there.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
02-10-2012, 01:09 PM

Completly irrelevant.