PDA

View Full Version : Billups DONE for season

jsthornton7
02-07-2012, 07:01 PM
Eric Pincus reports:

Sorry to say Billups, as expected is done for the season. Once upon I time wrote for his personal website - a great guy

via Twitter

On ESPN radio update: recovery period is going to be around 8 months

LA Times Story: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2012/02/clippers-chauncey-billups.html

Chronz
02-07-2012, 07:02 PM
F ME

I cant believe Im praying for JR Smith

EDIT) Oh yea and I hope Billups can recover (So he can suit up)

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-07-2012, 07:03 PM
:(

Sorry Clippers fans, this was the guy that was going to be the back-breaker killer against other teams in the playoffs. Don't matter who takes that starting 2 job (Foye, Mo, Arenas, JR etc.), can't replace what Chauncey would bring come playoff time. He's the only proven one on a consistent basis from the players I just mentioned.

jsthornton7
02-07-2012, 07:04 PM
has the clippers curse resumed?

Chi StateOfMind
02-07-2012, 07:11 PM
Damn I feel for Billups. Like the guy so much and I hope he gets well soon. First the Knicks let him go and now an injury.

allknowing
02-07-2012, 07:15 PM
Very bad for Billups. Probably a career ender. But the Clippers have alot of depth at Guard, he won't ruin their odds of making the playoffs.

LeBronsMom
02-07-2012, 07:20 PM
How do you think this impacts the Clippers moving forward?

http://blog.fanskills.com/chauncey-billups-out-for-the-season-with-a-torn-left-achilles-tendon/

justinnum1
02-07-2012, 07:21 PM
sux

allknowing
02-07-2012, 07:23 PM
Billups is older now, not a great Athlete, and is among the worst FG percentage shooters in the league this year. Yes he is their 3rd leading scorer, but he also takes alot of shots to get his 15 a game. Mo Williams is a MUCH better shooter then Billups is anyways. Clippers won't fall off much, if at all.

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-07-2012, 07:24 PM
Eric Pincus of Hoopsworld, gone out to say that it is most likely career ending as well. I wouldn't be surprised to hear by season's end of Chauncey Billups retiring.

thedfactor
02-07-2012, 07:24 PM
Rough end likely to his stellar career. Hurts the Clippers this season for sure. Hard to replace to veteran leader and big shot ability he added to the team.

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-07-2012, 07:26 PM
Billups is older now, not a great Athlete, and is among the worst FG percentage shooters in the league this year. Yes he is their 3rd leading scorer, but he also takes alot of shots to get his 15 a game. Mo Williams is a MUCH better shooter then Billups is anyways. Clippers won't fall off much, if at all.

And this is where you don't understand the meaning of playoff basketball. Chauncey gets the job done. Chris Paul just said last night that Chauncey is the best guard he has EVER played with. Mo Williams, JR or Arenas or Foye won't be able to replace Chauncey's leadership and big shot making and big plays down the stretch, especially come playoff time from the former NBA Champion and finals MVP. He's the only on the roster to have won and played in an NBA Finals game. (Caron Butler didn't play a single game due to injury in the 2011 finals even though he has a ring from Dallas).

allknowing
02-07-2012, 07:32 PM
And this is where you don't understand the meaning of playoff basketball. Chauncey gets the job done. Chris Paul just said last night that Chauncey is the best guard he has EVER played with. Mo Williams, JR or Arenas or Foye won't be able to replace Chauncey's leadership and big shot making and big plays down the stretch, especially come playoff time from the former NBA Champion and finals MVP. He's the only on the roster to have won and played in an NBA Finals game. (Caron Butler didn't play a single game due to injury in the 2011 finals even though he has a ring from Dallas).

Not withstanding to what Billups has done in the deep past, his recent playoff appearances have been LESS then average. And I said that his loss should not lessen the Clippers chances to MAKE the playoffs. I didn't say how it would effect their play once IN the playoffs. But regardless, even with a healthy Billups, the Clippers had no chance to make it to the West finals, let alone the NBA finals. So as stated, his loss is next to meaningless.

Heediot
02-07-2012, 07:36 PM
:(

Sorry Clippers fans, this was the guy that was going to be the back-breaker killer against other teams in the playoffs. Don't matter who takes that starting 2 job (Foye, Mo, Arenas, JR etc.), can't replace what Chauncey would bring come playoff time. He's the only proven one on a consistent basis from the players I just mentioned.

I beg to differ, given the opportunity Paul has the killer instinct to be an elite closer.

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-07-2012, 07:36 PM
Not withstanding to what Billups has done in the deep past, his recent playoff appearances have been LESS then average. And I said that his loss should not lessen the Clippers chances to MAKE the playoffs. I didn't say how it would effect their play once IN the playoffs. But regardless, even with a healthy Billups, the Clippers had no chance to make it to the West finals, let alone the NBA finals. So as stated, his loss is next to meaningless.

When you have CP3, Griffin, Jordan, Caron and shooters...you're going to make the playoffs regardless. When you have those shooters and that 1-2 punch of CP3 and Griffin and really solid role players in DeAndre and Caron, Chauncey doesn't have to do much numbers wise. He was there basically to guide CP3, hit the big shots, and help the team mature and understand the meaning of winning championship basketball. He has by far the most playoff experience, hell, he's made it the conference finals 7 consecutive times (6 ECF, 1 WCF), and made it to the finals 2 out of those 7 times and won a title and finals mvp.

2003 with Detroit, lost to New Jersey
2004 with Detroit, beat Indiana and then beat the Lakers in the finals, Championship and Finals MVP
2005 with Detroit, beat Miami and then lost to Spurs in the finals
2006 with Detroit, lost to Miami
2007 with Detroit, lost to Cleveland
2008 with Detroit, lost to Boston
2009 with Denver, lost to the Lakers

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-07-2012, 07:38 PM
I beg to differ, given the opportunity Paul has the killer instinct to be an elite closer.

Really? Look at game 7 of the 2008 Western Conference semi-finals against the Spurs. Lost on his own homecourt and failed to lead the Hornets to a road playoff victory in that series against the Spurs. Looks like he couldn't even close the series on his own homecourt, despite having a 3-2 lead in that series with homecourt advantage.

netsgiantsyanks
02-07-2012, 07:39 PM
great player, loved those mini nets-pistons rivalries in the early 2000's.

Missing56&33
02-07-2012, 07:39 PM
I feel bad for Billups , I hope he just go ahead and retire gracefully. I see nothing but injuries for him if he continues to play.

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-07-2012, 07:40 PM
I feel bad for Billups , I hope he just go ahead and retire gracefully. I see nothing but injuries for him if he continues to play.

The injury is such where he won't really be able to play at all like the Billups we're known to see, even after the 8 month recovery period.

Heediot
02-07-2012, 07:41 PM

No chance? It all depends on match-ups. It may be a little pre-mature but the Clippers handled OKC easily. The Lakers have trouble defending Paul and PNR, I think the Clippers have edge on the Lakers but this is also premature. The one team that I am worried about is the Spurs, since they beat us fairly easily.

Playoff match-ups are huge just look at last years #1 seed in the West losing to the #8. The Clippers still have as good a shot as anyone.

LA_Raiders
02-07-2012, 07:43 PM
That sucks. It looks like this is the end of his great carrer....

Heediot
Really? Look at game 7 of the 2008 Western Conference semi-finals against the Spurs. Lost on his own homecourt and failed to lead the Hornets to a road playoff victory in that series against the Spurs. Looks like he couldn't even close the series on his own homecourt, despite having a 3-2 lead in that series with homecourt advantage.

Fair enough, but the team as a whole was inexperienced. It was the first time that squad made the playoffs together. 75 percent of people thought they were losing that series anyway.

CHANGO
Damn! Mr. Big Shot, he's a great guy and he was balling with the Clips. Hope he recover :sigh:

kylem4711
02-07-2012, 08:23 PM
This sucks. He is such a great leader and mentor. Only good this about this is that he really hasnt even had a good year for the clips. Foye will have to pick up the slack and be able to drive to the basket. As far as closing, cp3 is the closer.

mttwlsn16
02-07-2012, 08:37 PM
How do you think this impacts the Clippers moving forward?

def makes us better. no doubt.

Iodine
02-07-2012, 08:56 PM
Time to begin the Godsoe era!!!

Billups has been essentially a replacement level player this year, I <3 his career, and the vertan moxie will be missed, but it's not a huge deal as long as Bledsoe can play like he did through much of last season

TubbyBucket
02-07-2012, 10:09 PM

Yawn... Remind me what the Lakers did after being up 3-1 against the Suns a few years back. I'll take Paul over Kobe in any playoff game.

TubbyBucket
02-07-2012, 10:15 PM
For that matter, I'll take Wade and LeBron before Kobe. His playoff performances are so overrated.

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-07-2012, 10:54 PM
Yawn... Remind me what the Lakers did after being up 3-1 against the Suns a few years back. I'll take Paul over Kobe in any playoff game.

Funny how you just brought Kobe into this whole conversation.

tp13baby
02-07-2012, 11:16 PM

This is ignorant. First if your gonna bash how Billups has done in recent playoffs maybe you should know his stats. With Denver the two years they went they made it relatively deep and he average 20 points a game while shooting 45% from the field while averaging 6 assists a game. I have no clue why you would say the Clippers have no chance. Clearly they are one of the best teams in the West.