PDA

View Full Version : Eric Pincus: Pau Gasol for Rajon Rondo a Possibility?

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-07-2012, 06:34 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-2-rondo-for-gasol-a-possiblity

The Los Angeles Lakers lost their second-straight game on Monday night, a late collapse to the Philadelphia 76ers, to drop to 14-11 on the season.

Los Angeles is in the middle of a difficult six-game road trip with stops ahead in Boston, New York and Toronto. While they’re an impressive 11-2 at home, 3-9 away is an issue. The Lakers are just not a good team outside of STAPLES Center.

What’s the solution? Will the return of Steve Blake (rib injury) make the difference? Would a small move catapult the Lakers back to elite status? Is there a big play to make?

General manager Mitch Kupchak may have inadvertently leaked one target to reporter Mike Trudell of Lakers.com.

To the question, what would he like to address before the trade deadline (March 15th), Kupchak answered:

“Well, if there were a way for us to get a 25-year-old, All-Star, ball-handling guard we’d love to do it … but that’s not likely in February. So you look at other alternatives, and see if it’s better than what you have. That’s all.”

First, a tiny bit of background. Kupchak has a history of being somewhat of a “literal” speaker. He’s not the kind of GM who will flat out lie to media, but rather chose not to answer the question directly or indirectly.

You might call that a “tell.”

One example would be Kupchak mentioning at a season ticket holder event (prior to drafting Andrew Bynum) that there was a high school kid he’d hate to see on another team. Later, he made a similar comment about a 17-year old.

Bynum at the time was the only 17-year-old, high school kid in that class. Kupchak all but spelled it out before the Lakers took him in 2005 NBA Draft.

Applying that logic to the Trudell quote, there is exactly one 25-year-old, All-Star, ball-handling guard in the league.

Rajon Rondo.

Note: “ball-handling guard” is triangle-speak for a point guard.

Additionally, sources have told HOOSPWORLD that the Boston Celtics do have interest in Gasol for their All-Star point guard.

The Celtics have the potential for sizable cap room this summer but there is no true sense that Dwight Howard or Deron Williams would be within their reach.

The list of options after the top two stars is not especially impressive. The Celtics have almost no one inside to play next to Kevin Garnett, who is in the last year of his contract.

Jermaine O’Neal still starts for the team but is not exactly high impact and might be the salary ballast to make a Laker/Celtics trade possible. To be fair, Brandon Bass has had a solid year as a Celtic, but Boston is looking for a more significant inside player.

Gasol has two years on his deal after this season which happens to line up when Paul Pierce’s is set to expire.

The Celtics have shopped Rondo on a number of occasions. For a number of reasons, sources say Boston does not intend to rebuild their roster around Rondo.

The drop off from Rajon to second-year player Avery Bradley (a capable defender but not as experienced as a playmaker) may not be as significant to the Celtics as the void in the middle that Gasol would fill.

Boston could consider bringing back veterans Ray Allen and Garnett, while using their remaining spending power to improve at the point. Alternatively, they could renounce the rights to their free agents and come up with at least $11 million in cap space.

But would the rivals swap All-Stars? The two teams have dealt in the past, notably the Gary Payton/Rick Fox/Chris Mihm/Chucky Atkins/etc. trade in 2004.

Would the Lakers go big for small? Didn’t they try to go two bigs for small in December?

Taking Kupchak at his word above, “We’d love to do it.”

When the Lakers parted ways with Phil Jackson, instead of striving for continuity, the organization went in the opposite direction, cutting ties with the coaches, training staff (except institution Gary Vitti) and even Assistant General Manager Ronnie Lester.

If the team truly believed that the postseason letdown against the Dallas Mavericks was based on the fatigue of three-straight trips to the Finals, the Lakers would have hired Brian Shaw to follow Jackson and kept the same roster with some minor improvements.

That didn’t happen. The team decided it was time to rebuild, offering Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom for Chris Paul. When the deal was scuttled by the league, LA furthered their move against continuity by dealing Odom to the Dallas Mavericks for an $8.9 million trade exception (and first-round draft pick, top-20 protected for many years).

The team remains fully committed to Kobe Bryant and Andrew Bynum, although there’s no denying interest in Dwight Howard.

The Lakers are deficient at small forward this season but they are loaded with bodies and the three is arguably the easiest position to fill.

If there was a true building-block point guard available for the Odom exception, the Lakers would naturally have interest but the market instead appears to be Ramon Sessions, a steady, solid point guard who doesn’t shoot particularly well (especially from three).

While the same can be said of Rondo’s outside shot, the difference between the two as impact players is significant.

Other options at guard include Gilbert Arenas, Johnny Flynn and Kirk Hinrich . . . among others. None are big enough upgrades for the Lakers to make until they give up on bigger and better options.

When it comes to trade assets, if Bynum isn’t on the table, Gasol may be the team’s only path to solving the gaping need at point guard.

In the Trudell article, Kupchak acknowledges the obvious, “You could say to yourself the area where we’re lacking the most is in the backcourt.”

The trade exception and a first-round pick may bring back enough to improve the squad but to put the Lakers back in elite company? Unlikely.

Additionally, the new Collective Bargaining Agreement is more restrictive to big spenders than the prior deal. Gasol at about $19 million almost has to go if he’s the third to Bryant/Bynum.

The Lakers won titles with Bynum as a distant fourth to Bryant, Gasol and Odom. The combination of Bynum and Gasol has always had its deficiencies, despite the height advantage. Those flaws are on full display and as Pau ages further, may never improve.

According to Kevin Ding of the Orange County Register, Gasol admitted Monday that the team may opt to make changes if the current road trip does not improve.

“That might occur, regardless,” Gasol said. “I don’t know. It’s totally out of my power. But there’s always a sense that if something was going to happen before, something might still happen until probably we get to the (trade) deadline. We won’t know for sure. We’ve just got to try to forget about that, put that aside, and try to continue to play as well as we can without being affected by any of that.”

Of course if Kupchak is to be taken literally, he did say in the earlier quote, “That’s not likely in February.”

The Lakers may covet Rondo. The Celtics may be interested in Gasol, but the league in general is still feeling out what’s to come.

March 1st is significant because players who were signed to contracts over the summer are finally eligible to be traded. In the context of the Lakers/Celtics, perhaps Kupchak has designs on Bass instead of O’Neal as filler. The Lakers would have Troy Murphy and Josh McRoberts along with the big coming back from Boston (and the Odom trade exception to add to the mix).

Perhaps the Orlando Magic opt to deal Dwight Howard . . .

There’s a rush to improve but how many deals league-wide have gone through recently? In about three weeks, look for that to change.

mttwlsn16
02-07-2012, 06:41 PM
do it lakers

LTBaByyy
02-07-2012, 06:50 PM
Wont happen.

KmB728
02-07-2012, 06:51 PM
I would absolutely hate this.

Corey
02-07-2012, 06:55 PM
Bull.

Boston has no interest in Gasol. Only way this would happen is if a 3rd team was involved and Boston would flip Gasol.

Leftcoast_yg
02-07-2012, 06:57 PM
We don't want that green waste over here, we already have bad free throw and 3pt shooting

icon1914
02-07-2012, 06:59 PM
So will run the point in Boston? Avery Bradley?

WHODAT8o8
02-07-2012, 07:01 PM
:puke:
I would hate this move

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-07-2012, 07:01 PM
So will run the point in Boston? Avery Bradley?

Yeah, essentially it'll be:

Celtics:

Bradley
Allen
Pierce
Garnett
Gasol

Lakers:

Rondo
Bryant
Artest
Bass
Bynum

I think Celtics keep JO, and Lakers want some shooters out of Boston's bench. Maybe Lakers throw in one of the 2 1st round picks from the 2012 draft to make that happen.

UPRock
02-07-2012, 07:02 PM
Bad trade for Boston, I don't see it happening.

D12 fan
02-07-2012, 07:08 PM
Hoopsworld sucks for legit information,why would Boston trade their young pg for a declining old pf.

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-07-2012, 07:10 PM
I always hated the Celtics, and I always hated Rondo, but I've also always respected Rondo and how hard he played and his craftiness. He won't have to shoot that many jump shots. When the offense becomes stagnant and defenders sag off of him to shoot jumpers...just give the ball to Kobe to create shots for himself or anything else on the offensive end. This is how Rondo and Bryant will help each other out a lot.

I always thought that Rondo and Kobe paired up would be the toughest SOB backcourt in the NBA. Rondo has that edge to him similar to Kobe's.

Chronz
02-07-2012, 07:11 PM
I would love to see this go down, Boston could run a traditional offense without a PG hogging the ball. Everyone on the team could pass and be a threat off the ball, who needs a PG with the best passing frontcourt in the game?

They would improve on both ends for sure, Pau > Rondo.

For the Lakers they have abit of a redundancy issue with their twin towers. They DESPERATELY need a PG.

D12 fan
02-07-2012, 07:49 PM
Bynum for Rondo is the most realistic trade

king4day
02-07-2012, 07:51 PM
Makes no sense from either side. I just don't get this one at all.

KB-Pau-DH2012
Bynum for Rondo is the most realistic trade

:laugh2:

The only guy the Lakers would trade Bynum away for is Dwight Howard. And I think that's how every GM in the NBA would look at.

lakers4sho
Gasol to Atlanta
Josh Smith to Boston
Rondo to Los Angeles

off course fillers have to added here and there

what do you guys think?

Sssmush
02-07-2012, 07:54 PM
I don't hate this deal, especially if the Lakers get Bass too.

Lakers may be giving up too much, and ruling out a title this year or next, but Rondo would be good for the mix and would be fun to watch with Kobe.

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-07-2012, 07:55 PM
Gasol to Atlanta
Josh Smith to Boston
Rondo to Los Angeles

off course fillers have to added here and there

what do you guys think?

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=798supy

Gasol to ATL

Hinrich and Smith to BOS

Rondo, Bass and JO to LAL

Lakers still need a 3 pt shooter or atleast a guy who can create his own shot off the bench, if we can offer a 1st rounder to ATL and get T-Mac, that would be nice as well.

LAKobeBryant
02-07-2012, 07:56 PM
il like it if we can get bass and rondo but definitely no for just rondo. or wait for dwill

lakers4sho
02-07-2012, 07:57 PM

Gasol to ATL

Hinrich and Smith to BOS

Lakers still need a 3 pt shooter or atleast a guy who can create his own shot off the bench, if we can offer a 1st rounder to ATL and get T-Mac, that would be nice as well.

yah something like that

Wes_Craven
02-07-2012, 07:58 PM
^ So who do you propose plays center for the C's???

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-07-2012, 08:01 PM
^ So who do you propose plays center for the C's???

Pau will play center as he played some center in Memphis and when he first came to the Lakers in 08 when Bynum was injured. Not too many big center bodies to bang in the East when you're going up against only Howard, Tyson Chandler and Roy Hibbert and a short Greg Monroe and tall but not as physical Bargnani. West has more and bulkier bigs to compete against.

Heediot
02-07-2012, 08:06 PM

Gasol to ATL

Hinrich and Smith to BOS

This is fairly biased and favors the Lakers. Boston has to give up too much whereas the Lakers are not giving up enough.

We have to remember that Gasol is on the tail end of his prime and his numbers are down. His stock right now is not as high as this.

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-07-2012, 08:13 PM
This is fairly biased and favors the Lakers. Boston has to give up too much whereas the Lakers are not giving up enough.

We have to remember that Gasol is on the tail end of his prime and his numbers are down. His stock right now is not as high as this.

Lakers are not giving up enough?

They're losing the guy that got them over the top to 3 straight finals appearances and back-to-back NBA titles! :speechless: There has to be some stock to that for sure. And Pau isn't a scrub, he just isn't that Pau Gasol of old but still very very very serviceable in the right system. And he's a big man who is so skillful and smart, he can basically play the PG position of of the post, his best quality by far. That's what helped the Lakers win championships in 2009 and 2010 and got them to finals in 2008.

BigBongTheory
02-07-2012, 08:18 PM
Hoopsworld sucks for legit information,why would Boston trade their young pg for a declining old pf.

Why don't you read the article friend.

Heediot
02-07-2012, 08:22 PM
Lakers are not giving up enough?

They're losing the guy that got them over the top to 3 straight finals appearances and back-to-back NBA titles! :speechless: There has to be some stock to that for sure. And Pau isn't a scrub, he just isn't that Pau Gasol of old but still very very very serviceable in the right system. And he's a big man who is so skillful and smart, he can basically play the PG position of of the post, his best quality by far. That's what helped the Lakers win championships in 2009 and 2010 and got them to finals in 2008.

What is grade school where we appeal to the emotions?

GM's don't trade based on what someone did a few years ago, especially when that player is turning 32 in half a year. You have to consider the prime years you are getting from players when considering the context of the trade as well. Rondo still has 7-8 prime years, as does Bass. Gasol is on the decline, even if he ages well, his production is only going to slip from here. If Gasol was 3-4 years younger, sure you can claim a fairer trade.

Teeboy1487
02-07-2012, 08:22 PM
I would do this in a split second.

LA_Raiders
02-07-2012, 08:23 PM
Gasol for DWill

YoungOne
02-07-2012, 08:28 PM
god pls no!!

valade16
02-07-2012, 08:30 PM

Gasol to ATL

Hinrich and Smith to BOS

I say take out Bass and the trade looks incredibly beneficial for all teams. My only question would be would Josh Smith come off the bench behind Pierce/KG or how would that work?

old blue
02-07-2012, 08:37 PM
Have to get more than gasol. For rondo

WHODAT8o8
02-07-2012, 08:45 PM
I say take out Bass and the trade looks incredibly beneficial for all teams. My only question would be would Josh Smith come off the bench behind Pierce/KG or how would that work?

They could move KG to center

akagiredsuns
02-07-2012, 08:46 PM
LOL. This won't happen. Who the hell is Eric Pincus? :laugh2: Rondo cannot hit a long jumper and is the worst free throw shooting point guard in the league, or have we forgotten the 2010 Finals? The Lakers are not about to move Gasol, especially for Rondo. I know it's slow, and aside from Dwight Howard talk, there isn't much to do. But, come on I know CP3 didn't make it to LA, but now people are reaching for speculation. Don't be surprised to see this denied by one of the GMs in the next 72 hours. What a joke. :laugh:

valade16
02-07-2012, 08:55 PM
They could move KG to center

That was my first thought but is he really big enough to play Center?

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-07-2012, 09:01 PM
What is grade school where we appeal to the emotions?

GM's don't trade based on what someone did a few years ago, especially when that player is turning 32 in half a year. You have to consider the prime years you are getting from players when considering the context of the trade as well. Rondo still has 7-8 prime years, as does Bass. Gasol is on the decline, even if he ages well, his production is only going to slip from here. If Gasol was 3-4 years younger, sure you can claim a fairer trade.

Sorry about the emoticons. I agree Pau is on the decline, but I think Pau and a first rounder for Rondo and Bass is a fair deal. In the NBA, very rare to trade big for small, but while were doing that, Lakers might as well trade their first round pick so we get Bass and maybe a shooter off of Boston bench. Avery Bradley gets his chance at PG and Boston vastly upgrades their frontcourt and extend KG's career by a yr or 2. Lakers get their PG, a possible shooter off the bench, and a protypical power forward to replace Pau.

Heediot
02-07-2012, 09:07 PM
Sorry about the emoticons. I agree Pau is on the decline, but I think Pau and a first rounder for Rondo and Bass is a fair deal. In the NBA, very rare to trade big for small, but while were doing that, Lakers might as well trade their first round pick so we get Bass and maybe a shooter off of Boston bench. Avery Bradley gets his chance at PG and Boston vastly upgrades their frontcourt and extend KG's career by a yr or 2. Lakers get their PG, a possible shooter off the bench, and a protypical power forward to replace Pau.

Oh I was responding initially to the three way trade with ATL. I didn't see any picks involved either in that proposal, just thought Boston was giving up a lot and only saw the Lakers giving up Pau.

John Walls Era
02-07-2012, 09:10 PM
Don't like this for either team (if its true). Kobe's better off with a PG that can make shots (Mo Williams for example). Boston could use a Gasol, but Rondo is probably worth more. If the Lakers want a PG, they could trade Gasol for Lowry (Rockets did want Gasol, but I know they value Lowry a lot).

Yunqn
02-07-2012, 09:19 PM
this makes alot of sense.. rondo & bass for gasol

the idea later would be to move gasol for martin & scola and let allen,kg& jo walk and amnesty someone else to make room for a deron & dwight pairing.. but of course you cant have the tension of having there replacement in the locker room with them ..so the celtics will have to get creative and trade allen for an expiring pg(maybe miller) and amnesty kg and let jo walk..

for l.a you still have a tpe to trade a small foward or pf and rondos game fits kobes & l.a's because his game is to move the ball and he will allow bynum to score and set everyone else up.. the defense becomes improved and so on..

justmy opinion but rondo is a perfect fit for l.a.. they need a PASSING point guard who does a little of everything like defense and rebounding.. which is basically describes rondo in a nutshell..

rondo & bynum with one more piece like a big scorer is def a bright future for when kobe leaves

Yunqn
02-07-2012, 09:37 PM
For the Lakers, adding Rajon Rondo to the team would be as good as it gets if both Dwight Howard and Deron Williams choose not to come to LA. Rajon has the competitive fire that team leader, Kobe Bryant, craves for. Rondo has the ball handling skills and playing making abilities to create shots for his teammates. Finally, the biggest asset that Rondo brings is the defensive tenacity that will wreak havoc on opposing guards.

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-rumors-kupchak-slipped-on-pau-gasol-for-rajon-rondo-deal/2012/02/07/

i just looked up rondo to lakers and saw rondo with l.a and came across this.. it also has rondo wearing laker gear and colors.. doesnt mean much but the quote is a perfect thought of what i had when i thought of a rondo & kobe pairing.. i think its the best pg for him and the pg he would like to play with the most.. it allows him to be just a scorer and let rondo do the offensive thing..

he also works with bynum given bynum is a guy who wants the ball and rondo does nothing but that.. and they both bring a mean streak along with kobe and artest .. if they can get a starting pf witht the tpe this team will contend and compete in the future imo

drew_ellis_23
02-07-2012, 09:52 PM
LOL. This won't happen. Who the hell is Eric Pincus? :laugh2: Rondo cannot hit a long jumper and is the worst free throw shooting point guard in the league, or have we forgotten the 2010 Finals? The Lakers are not about to move Gasol, especially for Rondo. I know it's slow, and aside from Dwight Howard talk, there isn't much to do. But, come on I know CP3 didn't make it to LA, but now people are reaching for speculation. Don't be surprised to see this denied by one of the GMs in the next 72 hours. What a joke. :laugh:

Rondo doesnt need to hit a long jumper, you have Kobe. Blake too. He can hit the three when healthy.

HouRealCoach
02-07-2012, 09:53 PM
This wont happen... Laker fans probably think Gasol can get them Lebron & Wade

king2218
02-07-2012, 09:57 PM
BOS gets Pau Gasol, Devin Ebanks, Andrew Goudelock, ORL 1st rd pick.

ORL get Bynum, Rondo, Dooling, 2 LA 1st rd picks.

LAL gets Howard, Turk, Nelson, Bass.

BOSTON would do this trade because they get Gasol, two young players in Ebanks/Goudelock & a possible mid 1st rd pick from ORL.

ORLANDO would do this trade because they get a replacement for Howard in Bynum & a good PG in Rondo plus the 1st rd picks.

LOS ANGELES would do this trade because they get Howard, & a good PG in Nelson & a replacement for Gasol in Bass.

DasBoot
02-07-2012, 10:00 PM

Gasol to ATL

Hinrich and Smith to BOS

LOL bro, Gasol is not worth Rondo, Bass and Oneal. Keep dreaming, maybe in 2k12

Green_Monster
02-07-2012, 10:01 PM

Lol. Gasol could NOT net Rondo alone.

DasBoot
02-07-2012, 10:02 PM
BOS gets Pau Gasol, Devin Ebanks, Andrew Goudelock, ORL 1st rd pick.

ORL get Bynum, Rondo, Dooling, 2 LA 1st rd picks.

LAL gets Howard, Turk, Nelson, Bass.

BOSTON would do this trade because they get Gasol, two young players in Ebanks/Goudelock & a possible mid 1st rd pick from ORL.

ORLANDO would do this trade because they get a replacement for Howard in Bynum & a good PG in Rondo plus the 1st rd picks.

LOS ANGELES would do this trade because they get Howard, & a good PG in Nelson & a replacement for Gasol in Bass.

Again another horrible trade for Boston....The only way I see Rondo getting traded is if it's for Bynum or Howard.

Green_Monster
02-07-2012, 10:02 PM
This wont happen... Laker fans probably think Gasol can get them Lebron & Wade

This is so true. They think the Celtics would need to throw in Bass with Rondo to get Gasol? Lol, Gasol can't get rondo alone!

numba1CHANGsta
02-07-2012, 10:05 PM
Pau+Blake for Rondo+Bass

seems fair

Green_Monster
02-07-2012, 10:10 PM
Pau+Blake for Rondo+Bass

seems fair

Its not...

otwisted
02-07-2012, 10:20 PM
The Lakers can keep Gashole. Green is not his color.

The Lakers can keep Gashole. Green is not his color, he's yellow.

The Lakers can keep Gashole. Green is not his color, he's yellow.

Sorry for the multi-post computer got a mind of its own. Mods feel free to delete the first two.

Cano-Montero...
02-07-2012, 10:36 PM
why would the celtics even do this? lol

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-07-2012, 10:44 PM
why would the celtics even do this? lol

Read Pincus' article and you'll know why.

NickyNick
02-07-2012, 10:45 PM
lakers fans just dreamin'

THE GIPPER
02-07-2012, 10:54 PM
Bad trade for boston

Corey
02-07-2012, 10:59 PM
Read Pincus' article and you'll know why.

Dont need to read 5000 words of fluff to know a trade makes no sense.

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-07-2012, 11:02 PM

Well I don't, your guys' GM has interest in Gasol and our GM has interest in Rondo. We shall see in March then.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
02-07-2012, 11:05 PM
Well I don't, your guys' GM has interest in Gasol and our GM has interest in Rondo. We shall see in March then.

Yes, because I should obviously believe a report from Eric Pincus.

lakersfan01
02-07-2012, 11:05 PM
Great trade for both teams.

Celtics were what 6-2 or 7-2 without Rondo. Imagine if they had Gasol to go with Bradley, Allen, Pierce, and Garnett.

I don't like that Rondo can't space the floor with his outside shooting, but obviously a huge upgrade over Fisher. Rondo is a stud defender and playmaker, something we don't have at all. When Kobe turns playmaker he gets 7 or 8 turnovers. I want the ball in Rondo's hands down the stretch, not Kobe who goes all Brett Favre.

lakersfan01
02-07-2012, 11:06 PM
Send Fisher along with Gasol or cut that P.O.S.

Corey
02-07-2012, 11:10 PM
Well I don't, your guys' GM has interest in Gasol

You're basing that off a rumor-writer's opinion. It's a speculative article with no substance that is supposed to get hits for their website. Looks like the headline worked.

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-07-2012, 11:11 PM
Newsflash: No, it isn't. It's a speculative article with no substance that is supposed to get hits for their website. Looks like the headline worked.

As I said, when we get closer to post-All-Star break (March 1st most notably), then we'll get a better sense. Let's just be patient and wait and see.

rasajr23
02-07-2012, 11:11 PM
Its not...

Not fair for the Lakers... I agree... Rondo although passes well and has good enough Defense the dude chokes at the freethrow line, and sucks shooting from 10+ feet away... Lakers if they are even considering this should just stop and go after Sessions. All we have to give away is a draft pick.

ichitownclowni
02-07-2012, 11:21 PM
If the Lakers can do it do it thats a RAW trade

BigBongTheory
02-07-2012, 11:32 PM

No soup for you i whisper in your ear.

mynameismo
02-08-2012, 06:45 AM
Not happening. We're going to start rebuilding next year. We don't need cash, we got tons of em. We'd rather suck for a whole season and get lottery picks than be mediocre with Gasol.

Besides, you guys are better of waiting for Dwight.

tcav701
02-08-2012, 07:21 AM
Seeing as Gasol is neither young nor expiring, I call BS.

ldawg
02-08-2012, 08:55 AM
Not a fan of Rhondo Not sure i trade pau for him. I think there are cheaper players out there that can't shoot but passes well like Sesions and Flynn. even some that can shoot Like Mo williams, Kirk hiinrich may be available in the off season.

Weezy
02-08-2012, 09:28 AM
Not happening. We're going to start rebuilding next year. We don't need cash, we got tons of em. We'd rather suck for a whole season and get lottery picks than be mediocre with Gasol.

Besides, you guys are better of waiting for Dwight.

Your GM has made some questionable moves lately ... I wouldn't be surprised if this did happen. Regardless... Lakers are going to have to give more than just Gasol for Rondo. Not sure who else they can offer though.

MOREY=MONEY
02-08-2012, 10:04 AM
Bull.

Boston has no interest in Gasol. Only way this would happen is if a 3rd team was involved and Boston would flip Gasol.

Did you say third team? Let me introduce you to D. Morey.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine

Sorry My Trade Machine Link did not work...My trade proposal is...

Flynn Scola Martin to Boston

Rondo O'neal to Lakers

Gasol Wilcox to Rockets

This trade could work for all teams.

Gives Lakers their Ball Handler, Rockets their 7-footer, Celtics a great scorer and an efficient post player to play along side Garnett.

Rockets could even send Jonny Flynn Boston's way for Wilcox.

hugepatsfan
02-08-2012, 10:38 AM
Pau > Rondo but I think Rondo has more value.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-08-2012, 10:48 AM
http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-rumors-kupchak-slipped-on-pau-gasol-for-rajon-rondo-deal/2012/02/07/

i just looked up rondo to lakers and saw rondo with l.a and came across this.. it also has rondo wearing laker gear and colors.. doesnt mean much but the quote is a perfect thought of what i had when i thought of a rondo & kobe pairing.. i think its the best pg for him and the pg he would like to play with the most.. it allows him to be just a scorer and let rondo do the offensive thing..

he also works with bynum given bynum is a guy who wants the ball and rondo does nothing but that.. and they both bring a mean streak along with kobe and artest .. if they can get a starting pf witht the tpe this team will contend and compete in the future imo

this

corky831
02-08-2012, 11:18 AM
25 yr old all star pg for a soon to be 32 yr old declining PF? ya the lakers would definitely need to find a 3rd team or include their first rounder.

MagicHero3
02-08-2012, 11:32 AM
this would be awesome for the lakers but i dont see them doing this with their friggin RIVALS.

Corey
02-08-2012, 11:36 AM
Your GM has made some questionable moves lately ... I wouldn't be surprised if this did happen. Regardless... Lakers are going to have to give more than just Gasol for Rondo. Not sure who else they can offer though.

I'd love to hear about these questionable moves. Please elaborate.

3mikee_
02-08-2012, 11:40 AM
Hmm Lakers getting an all star pass first point guard that's young... Celtics an old getting washed up big man that has found a sudden love for the 3 point shot.... sounds like a good deal to me.

NickyNick
02-08-2012, 11:45 AM
As I said, when we get closer to post-All-Star break (March 1st most notably), then we'll get a better sense. Let's just be patient and wait and see.

Wait and see for what? Rondo for Pau would NEVER happen....how come Laker fans think teams want to get ripped off to make them better?

Norieaga
02-08-2012, 11:57 AM
We're not trading our PG for a declining PF. I'm sure we'll trade Rondo but its going to be for a young impact player.

Gibby23
02-08-2012, 12:07 PM
For the short term, Boston would have a chance to get to the Finals, like this year. In the new Mik Brown offense he is a jumpshooter and doesn't get to post up much. Gasol is a shilled 7footer with maybe the best post game in the NBA and is a willing passer. KG isn't much of a post up threat but still has the mid range game going. You put a legit back to the basket 7 footer with Pierce, Allen, and KG and that is going to be hard to stop. They might be able to get Blake also and that puts another shooter and an ok PG that would do well with 4 stars/All Stars. Im not saying it will happen but this would give Boston a legit 7 footer that you can throw the ball into, he can go one on one all day and teams would still have to double him and that would open up the game for Allen, Pierce, KG, and maybe Blake.

avrpatsfan
02-08-2012, 12:12 PM
Rondo is 6 years younger, and has about the same PER as Gasol does. No thanks, we'd need to get more.

NickyNick
02-08-2012, 12:19 PM
For the short term, Boston would have a chance to get to the Finals, like this year. In the new Mik Brown offense he is a jumpshooter and doesn't get to post up much. Gasol is a shilled 7footer with maybe the best post game in the NBA and is a willing passer. KG isn't much of a post up threat but still has the mid range game going. You put a legit back to the basket 7 footer with Pierce, Allen, and KG and that is going to be hard to stop. They might be able to get Blake also and that puts another shooter and an ok PG that would do well with 4 stars/All Stars. Im not saying it will happen but this would give Boston a legit 7 footer that you can throw the ball into, he can go one on one all day and teams would still have to double him and that would open up the game for Allen, Pierce, KG, and maybe Blake.

what? stop...boston is not looking for short term, and not looking to get ripped off to help the lakers hahaha

Corey
02-08-2012, 12:40 PM
Rondo is 6 years younger, and has about the same PER as Gasol does. No thanks, we'd need to get more.

lol @ PER

Gibby23
02-08-2012, 12:52 PM
Why wouldn't the Celtics try and get D will for Rondo?

Super.
02-08-2012, 12:59 PM
lolwut?

I smell ********

sp1derm00
02-08-2012, 01:05 PM
It's hard to say no to something like this as a fan. PG's have been torching us for the past few years and Rondo is one of the best, if not the best defensive PG in the league. He's smart, unselfish, and plays with a LOT of heart.

On the other hand, Pau is the more durable player of our two bigs and if Bynum goes down, we're screwed. If we got Dwight, this would be a no brainer, but Bynum has a history. Bynum would also essentially have no backup at C if he were to be benched. Right now, when Bynum is out, Pau is our C. Who will fill that position if this trade goes through?

**** everything about getting nothing in return for Odom... it really screwed the Lakers.

mgsports
02-08-2012, 01:29 PM
Celtics get Gasol,Frye or Hill and maybe Fisher or Brooks back
Magic get Nash/Childress/O'Neal and maybe Lopez
Lakers get Hedo/Rondo and Vasquez
Suns get Duhon/Redick/Orton/Draft Picks and so on.

i'myourdaddy
02-08-2012, 01:54 PM
LOL i like how lakers fan ripping Gasoft throughout his lakers carrer but when they tried to trade him...oh Paula Gasol is the best PF hahaha

RaJAxTWa
02-08-2012, 02:09 PM
i could see a three way trade where

celtics land bynum
lakers land D12
magic land rondo

obviously there would be more pieces to even out the trade, but each team walks away happy

BullsBearsSox11
02-08-2012, 02:11 PM
I think Celtics should offer Pheonix Rondo for Steve Nash and Gortat...that would be a solid starting 5.. GO ALL IN for this season!!! If not you got two young guys like Brandon Bass Bass and Jeff Green to start building around.

NickyNick
02-08-2012, 02:29 PM
I think Celtics should offer Pheonix Rondo for Steve Nash and Gortat...that would be a solid starting 5.. GO ALL IN for this season!!! If not you got two young guys like Brandon Bass Bass and Jeff Green to start building around.

the celtics should really be trying to get older

shep33
02-08-2012, 02:52 PM
It's possible, but a third team makes a heck of a lot more sense.

marj987
02-08-2012, 02:56 PM

Corey
02-08-2012, 02:57 PM

the celtics should really be trying to get older
No but it sort of makes sense if they want as much cap as possible while staying competitive

Plus Nash is having arguably one of his best seasons

NoahH
02-08-2012, 03:01 PM
Horrible deal for Boston. Gasol is over the hill.

static_inferno
02-08-2012, 04:27 PM
I highly doubt it. This Eric Pincus guy always speculates. He has no real sources. He's just a writer for a second-rate sports website.

Federal Reserve
02-08-2012, 04:43 PM
This thread deserves to be closed.

sep11ie
02-08-2012, 04:47 PM
Gasol/1st for Scola/Dragic

MickeyMgl
02-08-2012, 04:59 PM
Bad trade for Boston, I don't see it happening.

Bad trade for both. I don't think anybody likes this idea.

mRc08
02-08-2012, 05:01 PM
I don't see how this trade makes any sense for the celtics. Make your alltime rival better while taking on a former allstar who's ability to sustain playing at an allstar level is in question.

:confused:

Plus, why are the celtics so horny to move rondo? he's their best player IMO. If your gonna move him for anyone might as well be westbrook

smith&wesson
02-08-2012, 05:08 PM
I just dont see the lakers and celtics making a trade with key players.

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-08-2012, 05:09 PM
I don't see how this trade makes any sense for the celtics. Make your alltime rival better while taking on a former allstar who's ability to sustain playing at an allstar level is in question.

:confused:

Plus, why are the celtics so horny to move rondo? he's their best player IMO. If your gonna move him for anyone might as well be westbrook

Ainge and Doc said that they can't get through Rondo and he's very difficult to deal with. They don't want him to be part of the future or build around him.

Ill21
02-08-2012, 05:15 PM
Why would Boston ever want to trade Rondo? He is the best pure PG in the league.

shep33
02-08-2012, 05:18 PM
I actually think Boston gets a better chance to win a title this year with Gasol over Rondo... that being unless LA includes its 2 first rounders, I just don't see it happening.

A 3 team deal makes more sense.

Jewelz0376
02-08-2012, 06:20 PM
If it will get Pau out of La I'm all for it

rockbottom2010
02-08-2012, 06:57 PM
if anything...its gonna be garnett and somebody else for gasol and somebody else....rondos their best player....and hes only 25...hes the future for that team...if anything with jeff green makes sense

Sportfan
02-08-2012, 07:34 PM
I actually think Boston gets a better chance to win a title this year with Gasol over Rondo... that being unless LA includes its 2 first rounders, I just don't see it happening.

A 3 team deal makes more sense.
No doubt it helps boston this year, but it's like increasing their chances from 1% to 5%, not worth giving their only future pierce up for that

Sportfan
02-08-2012, 07:37 PM
Ainge and Doc said that they can't get through Rondo and he's very difficult to deal with. They don't want him to be part of the future or build around him.
show me proof of this

shep33
02-08-2012, 08:02 PM
No doubt it helps boston this year, but it's like increasing their chances from 1% to 5%, not worth giving their only future pierce up for that

I agree... I wonder what Danny is thinking these days. A trade like this, maybe getting a decent PG by the deadline too, gives Boston a shot. I wonder if he'd take a chance to try and get the core one last run... I don't know though, now= Gasol probably better chance to win, but future wise= Rondo no doubt.

Corey
02-08-2012, 08:20 PM
Really depends on what he thinks he can do in free agency.

If he honestly thinks he can convince Deron and Dwight to sign together, he could trade Rondo in a deal for an expiring (Nash?), stay competitive this year, and only have Pierce under contract for big money next year, with enough space to sign 2 max players.

I find this to be completely unrealistic, though.

gaughan333
02-08-2012, 08:52 PM
This sounds more like hope out of LA and less like a realistic idea

mgsports
02-08-2012, 08:57 PM
Magic would need to get a Center back in Deal.

Nabeshin
02-08-2012, 09:06 PM
Trading a up and coming star ? Boston would be crazy to do that.

tmacmamba
02-08-2012, 09:53 PM
I think the only way the Celtics trade Rondo to the Lakers is in a three team deal, theres no way they would do a straight up swap of Rondo for Gasol messing up their future in the process so i propose this deal.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7mdfxvk

what do you guys think?

mamba24
02-08-2012, 10:21 PM
I'd love to hear about these questionable moves. Please elaborate.

Kendrick Perkins..... Need I say more?

RaiderLakersA's
02-08-2012, 11:39 PM
Please do not send the Green Goblin to LA for Pau.

CudiOnMyiPod
02-09-2012, 12:16 AM
That is a horrible deal for Boston. Gasol is great but not that great. He is also 31. Rondo is a 25 year old star PG who dishes out 10 assists a game. Imagine if LA got away with yet another complete BS trade.

Corey
02-09-2012, 02:36 AM
Kendrick Perkins..... Need I say more?

Yea, you do need to say more.

Perkins was asking for too much money, and they opted to get a good player in return for him instead of letting him walk in the off-season for nothing.

Unfortunately, Jeff Green developed a heart condition and we dont get to see him play this year, but that's not Ainge's fault by any means.

You said Ainge has made 'questionable moves lately', and you have nothing more to say..?

ldawg
02-09-2012, 04:58 AM
That is a horrible deal for Boston. Gasol is great but not that great. He is also 31. Rondo is a 25 year old star PG who dishes out 10 assists a game. Imagine if LA got away with yet another complete BS trade.this is funny because i think thats a horrible deal for LA. so i guess its a fair trade for both teams.

NFLNBA
02-09-2012, 10:21 AM
I think this is a bad trade for Lakers! Lakers need some guys who can hit shots! Rondo is the worst shooting PG in the game. Lakers need a PG who plays great Defense and can hit open shots because Kobe has ball 90% of time anyway. Lakers need to keep that size with Bynum and Gasol and just add J R smith. Blake is coming back from Injury and G-Lock is a yound good player who can shoot the ball. If your gonna trade a Big for a small he better fit your team and Rondo does not fit Lakers.

xxplayerxx23
02-09-2012, 12:18 PM
Why on earth would boston send over there youngest player, who is a good pointguard for Pau gasol who is 32? they will have nofuture at all. If im LA i do that trade,

flclfanman
02-09-2012, 12:23 PM
If this trade happens then LA can say buh bye to D12. No way in Hell ORL takes Bynum straight up for Howard.

nickdymez
02-09-2012, 12:29 PM
If this trade happens then LA can say buh bye to D12. No way in Hell ORL takes Bynum straight up for Howard.

Then Orlando would be even dumber than they are now.. Lets see, lose the best big man in the league for nothing and be bottom feeders in the league. Or trade him for the second best center and get rid of Hedo's contract. Only an idiot wouldn't do that. The lakers arent gutting their team to get Howard. As a Laker fan i'll tell you that im just fine with not getting howard and keeping Bynum. But im a fan and i actually watch Bynum play. I dont think you do.

last stand
02-09-2012, 12:42 PM
most people haven't actually watched bynum. they just see the ESPN news line that bynum was hurt and thats all they know about bynum

17ppg 12.5rpg 2bpg with pau gasol and kobe bryant on his team