PDA

View Full Version : Larry Bird: Play With Kobe to Win. Play With LeBron To Have Fun.

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-07-2012, 05:23 PM
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/7551496/larry-bird-love-play-los-angeles-lakers-kobe-bryant

Boston Celtics great Larry Bird saw the Los Angeles Lakers as the enemy during his playing days, but there's one current Laker he'd like on his side if he were playing today -- Kobe Bryant.

Appearing on "The B.S. Report" with Grantland.com's Bill Simmons, Bird said that LeBron James is one of the greatest players and we should all sit back and enjoy what he can do on the basketball court. He even calls him the best player in the league, but he's not the player he would go into battle with.

If he could choose any current player that he'd like to play a season with, who would it be, Bird was asked.

"Well, probably Kobe, because of the fact that ... well, of course he wouldn't have been shooting as much as he does now ... but his desire to win, his dedication, to always get better, uh, and he's just, he's just tough," Bird said. "He's just a tough cat.

"But, if you want to have fun, like I did with Bill Walton, play with LeBron. It would have probably been more fun to play with LeBron, but if you want to win and win and win, it's Kobe. Not that LeBron's not a winner, just that [Kobe's] mindset is to go into every practice, every game, to get better."

Bryant has won five championships with the Lakers, one short of the legend he's most often compared to, Michael Jordan. James joined the Miami Heat last season and fell short in the NBA Finals, leaving him searching for his first title.

Bird, who is currently president of basketball operations for the Pacers, won three titles, two of them over the Lakers. He was inducted to the Hall of Fame in 1998.

Iron24th
02-07-2012, 05:26 PM
Coming from a Boston Legend,it says it all.

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-07-2012, 05:27 PM
But PSD will say one thing and one thing only:

Larry Mad.

DODGERS&LAKERS
02-07-2012, 05:28 PM
This is going to get ugly. I'm going to sit back and enjoy the show.

CityofChaos
02-07-2012, 05:29 PM
Larry Mad.

KB-Pau-DH2012
This is going to get ugly. I'm going to sit back and enjoy the show.

It's going to get ugly, but you know what, PSD didn't like Andre Iguodala praising Kobe. I want to see their reaction to Larry Legend, and the fact that this is about LeBron too.

Sadds The Gr8
He's right

C-Style
02-07-2012, 05:31 PM
But PSD will say one thing and one thing only:

Larry Mad.
Wearnt they praising Bird for saying Bron is right there with MJ & Kobe?

nickdymez
02-07-2012, 05:31 PM
Im starting to believe that PSD are the only people that think Lebron is overall better than Kobe. I cant wait to see what happens in this thread...

LakersSaintsLSU
02-07-2012, 05:33 PM
Let's go Kobe haters .....wait for it!!!!!!!!!

BigBongTheory
5 rings dont just come sit on your lap. not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4, but 5.

haggis
:laugh2:

Oh Larry Legend.

LakersSaintsLSU
Im starting to believe that PSD are the only people that think Lebron is overall better than Kobe. I cant wait to see what happens in this thread...

EXACTLY:clap:

LakersSaintsLSU
02-07-2012, 05:34 PM

Amen brother:D

nyyfan4life
02-07-2012, 05:34 PM

Lebron is definitely a better overall player than Kobe right now and has been the best player in the league for the last couple of years. This is from a guy who loves Kobe.

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-07-2012, 05:35 PM
Wearnt they praising Bird for saying Bron is right there with MJ & Kobe?

I guess they weren't MAD at the time. :confused:

BigBongTheory
02-07-2012, 05:36 PM
Lebron is definitely a better overall player than Kobe right now and has been the best player in the league for the last couple of years. This is from a guy who loves Kobe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztVMib1T4T4&feature=related

sixer04fan
02-07-2012, 05:36 PM
Larry's right. But this is gonna get ugly really fast...

If you listen carefully you can hear the Heat fans stampeding towards this thread... Wait for it... Here they come...

DaVille
02-07-2012, 05:37 PM
"Well, probably Kobe, because of the fact that ... well, of course he wouldn't have been shooting as much as he does now ... but his desire to win, his dedication, to always get better, uh, and he's just, he's just tough," Bird said. "He's just a tough cat.

Larry Bird nailed it. From his work ethic, the desire to be the best, the will to win; I think Larry sees himself in Kobe. Less flash More results.

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-07-2012, 05:38 PM
Larry's right. But this is gonna get ugly really fast...

If you listen carefully you can hear the Heat fans stampeding towards this thread... Wait for it... Here they come...

Run Forrest Run! ;)

Anyways, LeBron may very well be a better player than Kobe, as he should looking at their age and mileage.

But Larry here is talking about the intangibles, the know it hows, the blue collar style and tough SOB attitude, very much similar to himself.

Kobe is like Larry in personality and style of play while LeBron is like Magic in personality and style of play.

But for LeBron to be mentioned with those 3 greats and other greats like MJ, Wilt, Russell, Shaq, Duncan and Hakeem....he has to WIN!

Law25
02-07-2012, 05:43 PM
Larry Bird saying that Lebron is the best in the leauge but if you want championships you go to Kobe should motivate Bron to take his game to another level, but who knows. I can imagine Kobe in the gym with a ear to ear smile, while Lebron is playing 2K12 with a controler in one hand and curl bar in the other confused on rather to be happy or sad about what Larry said.

nickdymez
02-07-2012, 05:50 PM

When i say overall, i mean both in their primes. If you put a prime Kobe up against a prime Lebron, im taking Kobe all day long. You cant play zone and stop Kobe.

lakers4sho
02-07-2012, 05:52 PM
Are the heat fans here yet?

BigBongTheory
02-07-2012, 05:53 PM
Are the heat fans here yet?

I think their either sleeping, or gathering up for a stampede.

justinnum1
02-07-2012, 05:57 PM
:yawn:

lets see what things look like when lebrons career is over

Master Mind
02-07-2012, 06:00 PM
:shrug:

BigBongTheory
02-07-2012, 06:01 PM

i knew it'd be you. you diehard miami heat fan you. :cheer:

smith&wesson
02-07-2012, 06:05 PM
i agree with him. up until lebron wins 6. not3 not4 not5 etc.

nickdymez
02-07-2012, 06:07 PM
Heat fans will ignore this. They turn a blind eye to these sort of comments.

Chi StateOfMind
02-07-2012, 06:16 PM
He's right and most people know it buy refuse to believe it. Kobe is a beast and he is the closest thing to MJ.

Heediot
02-07-2012, 06:23 PM
Larry Bird nailed it. From his work ethic, the desire to be the best, the will to win; I think Larry sees himself in Kobe. Less flash More results.

I beg to differ about that. Kobe is more about style points as well and ego thus his relentless desire to win. Don't get me wrong his selfishness and ego-centrism is what made him the player he is. They are both about flash and ego, it's just Kobe has more balls and is a control freak aka Bill Russel. He has the desire like Jordan but with less efficiency and relies more on his cast than Jordan does. LeBron has the desire he just doesn't have the balls and fortitude that Kobe does, just my .02. LeBron games is far superior if you take away the psychological factor and ability to rise to the occasion.

rasajr23
02-07-2012, 06:23 PM
Have a question for all of you. If Lebron were to win multiple rings after Kobe, Duncan, and Dirk retired. Would any of you give Lebron the props he deserves or would you chalk it up to the league not having the talent it once had??

Kingz4L
02-07-2012, 06:26 PM
I wonder what Larry would say if Lebron played for the Pacers...People love to hate on Lebron because he dosnt have a ring, and for losing last year..if thats the case why did the Heat lose in 6 and Lakers in 4?

sledge_mylez
02-07-2012, 06:28 PM
This is hilarious, why is everyone trying to bait another teams fan base into this thread. What Larry said is an opinion of an all-time great which should be respected. Last year another all-time great said Lebron was the best player ever. I am not saying I agree by any stretch, but at the end of the day it is an opinion. It takes a feeble minded person to change their own opinion because some legend said so. Basketball isn't math or grammar, very little is universally accepted.
Larry clearly said LeBron is the best player in the league today, how is that disrespectful? I do think that LeBron is better than Kobe TODAY. But, to compare their legacy's before their career is done is foolish. LeBron has a LONG way to go for his legacy to touch Kobe's, but like Larry said - just enjoy watching him play.
Dirk won 50 games 10 years in a row and didn't win a championship, people said he was an unclutch bum. Now since he won a single championship you don't hear that anymore and it was debated her on PSD he was a top 20 player of all time. John Elway couldn't win a Super Bowl without TD2K and was 0-3 in the big game before that. When his career was over he had 2 rings and was accepted by some as a top 5 QB of all time.

SteveNash
02-07-2012, 06:29 PM
Have a question for all of you. If Lebron were to win multiple rings after Kobe, Duncan, and Dirk retired. Would any of you give Lebron the props he deserves or would you chalk it up to the league not having the talent it once had??

Probably not.

Just look at this thread, Kobe has choked way man Lebron has. Just when Kobe chokes he'll do so aggressively while Lebron does it passively.

Slug3
02-07-2012, 06:29 PM

It depends on what you mean. Kobe now against lebron now, lebron is better. But overall career wise it's Kobe.

D1JM
02-07-2012, 06:30 PM
:burn:

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-07-2012, 06:31 PM

No, I'd attribute it to the fact that he won championships with a teammate that had already won a championship and finals MVP without him. ;)

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-07-2012, 06:32 PM
Probably not.

Just look at this thread, Kobe has choked way man Lebron has. Just when Kobe chokes he'll do so aggressively while Lebron does it passively.

And that's the thing, if you fail, you want to know that at the end of the day, you gave it your all. Can Mr. James say the same thing? :confused:

BigBongTheory
02-07-2012, 06:36 PM

No, i'd chalk it up to lebron having an Olympic starting roster kind of team.

BigBongTheory
02-07-2012, 06:38 PM
You know who's better than all these guys? I'm glad you were wondering. It's the priests all over the country spending their time, to help you in your life, and in the afterlife. Their way of seeing things, it's just, it's just, it's just, deeeep man.

da ThRONe
02-07-2012, 06:45 PM
No, I'd attribute it to the fact that he won championships with a teammate that had already won a championship and finals MVP without him. ;)

LOL

So it safe to attribute 3 of Kobe rings to Shaq if we're using your logic?

cheddar08
02-07-2012, 06:55 PM

I am trying to unerstand why. You can see KObe's numbers are way up this season in Mike Brown's offense outside of the triangle. 30 + ppg 5+ rpg 5 + apg. Imagine this guy in Brown's offense at 28 instead of 33. He coould easily rival LBJ's numbers during his stint in Cleveland. LNJ is more athletic, in his prime Kobe was a better defender although he didn't have the patent run down block....which happenes few and far between.

UPRock
02-07-2012, 06:58 PM
I'm a Lebrons fan, and I completely agree with him as of NOW, but lets wait until Lebron retire to call him a looser like a lot of people call him here. Remember he's only 27, and playing the best basketball of his life, and has a lot of time to prove doubters wrong.

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-07-2012, 07:06 PM
LOL

Kobe and Shaq won their first championship together. Shaq tried winning a title with Mr. Penny Hardaway 5 yrs prior to that, but Hakeem, old man Drexler and company swept their *****!

Mr_Jones
02-07-2012, 07:07 PM
I like that guy

Chronz
02-07-2012, 07:09 PM
Things like this become relevant when everyone is older and finished with their careers. Its easy to diminish Bron as a winner when he hasnt won, that changes with titles, which he will win.

championships
02-07-2012, 07:11 PM
This pretty much sums it up.

Mike Brown almost said the same thing on PTI. He said Kobe is more of a down to business, get the job done kind of guy as where Lebron likes to have fun and joke around with teammates.

Khri
02-07-2012, 07:15 PM
Must be because he knows he cannot beat Lebron.

ghettosean
02-07-2012, 07:17 PM
I'm pretty shocked that Larry said that but he's completely right. I think Lebron is the biggest talent in the league but Kobe has that killer instinct that LBJ just doesn't seem to have which is why Larry answered the question the way he did.

championships
02-07-2012, 07:17 PM
Things like this become relevant when everyone is older and finished with their careers. Its easy to diminish Bron as a winner when he hasnt won, that changes with titles, which he will win.

Current players are saying the same thing though. Iggy called him the 2nd best player ever a few days ago.

CHANGO
02-07-2012, 07:25 PM
This is hilarious, why is everyone trying to bait another teams fan base into this thread. What Larry said is an opinion of an all-time great which should be respected. Last year another all-time great said Lebron was the best player ever. I am not saying I agree by any stretch, but at the end of the day it is an opinion. It takes a feeble minded person to change their own opinion because some legend said so. Basketball isn't math or grammar, very little is universally accepted.
Larry clearly said LeBron is the best player in the league today, how is that disrespectful? I do think that LeBron is better than Kobe TODAY. But, to compare their legacy's before their career is done is foolish. LeBron has a LONG way to go for his legacy to touch Kobe's, but like Larry said - just enjoy watching him play.
Dirk won 50 games 10 years in a row and didn't win a championship, people said he was an unclutch bum. Now since he won a single championship you don't hear that anymore and it was debated her on PSD he was a top 20 player of all time. John Elway couldn't win a Super Bowl without TD2K and was 0-3 in the big game before that. When his career was over he had 2 rings and was accepted by some as a top 5 QB of all time.

This guy is right x10000...

Thanks for saving me time. :)

Lebron want to win but he's not Kobe, or Michael he's a best teammate he cares about the team, he plays for the team. Kobe just want to win with him taking the last shot, and being the Alpha Dog. Two different players and personalities.

da ThRONe
02-07-2012, 07:32 PM
Kobe has been in the league twice as long as LeBron. Ofcourse he should have the more accomplished career.

whitemamba33
02-07-2012, 07:35 PM
LeBron James is a phenomenal player. He is the most complete player we've seen in a long long time. Aside from his late playoff performances, I really don't have any complaints about his game.

My only beef is one that gets magnified when names like Kobe, Jordan, and Larry are being dropped. Like Jordan said, he would have never left to play on the same team as Bird or Magic...he wanted to beat those guys. I have always respected that mentality, and sadly for me, it's not the route LeBron chose for himself.

Even with rings on his fingers I won't put LeBron up there with those guys.

whitemamba33
02-07-2012, 07:37 PM
Kobe has been in the league twice as long as LeBron. Ofcourse he should have the more accomplished career.

That's not really the point Larry is making though. Larry was describing the mindset of both players. LeBron could win a championship the next 5 straight seasons but what Bird said could still be true.

da ThRONe
02-07-2012, 07:47 PM
That's not really the point Larry is making though. Larry was describing the mindset of both players. LeBron could win a championship the next 5 straight seasons but what Bird said could still be true.

My comment had nothing to do with Bird's comments. I have no problem with another persons opinion especially a HOF'er. I think what he said about their personalities was obvious.

My comment is more about players and analyst ranking Kobe among the all time greats higher than LeBron.

celmxc
02-07-2012, 07:53 PM

Kobe, Duncan, and Dirk are the leaders of their team... if MIami wins I would give wade more credit (props) than Lebron because wade is the leader of the team ...

PacersForLife
02-07-2012, 07:54 PM
If you are just going by the title of the thread then you will probably perceive it the wrong way. If you actually listen to the podcast he gives high praises to LeBron, but says he would play with Kobe just because of his winning instinct.

MickeyMgl
02-07-2012, 08:04 PM
No, I'd attribute it to the fact that he won championships with a teammate that had already won a championship and finals MVP without him.

LOL

Using his logic, how many rings had Shaq already won without Kobe? Or, how many Finals MVPs did Shaq ever win without Kobe? :)

Chronz
02-07-2012, 08:27 PM
Current players are saying the same thing though. Iggy called him the 2nd best player ever a few days ago.
Im not sure why you think Im excluding current players in any way. Im sure Iggy has his reasons for taking Kobe above guys like KAJ, Wilt, Dream, Duncan, whoever your top 5 are but it doesnt change what Im saying.

whitemamba33
02-07-2012, 08:28 PM

I disagree.

LeBron could have a fist full of rings and what Larry said could still very well be true. With the amount of talent on the Heat, LeBron will almost certainly win an NBA title eventually. That doesn't mean that his mind is set the same way Kobe's is. And that's really all that Bird is saying.

JJ_JKidd
02-07-2012, 08:46 PM
Leboring SHAMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :facepalm:

LA_Raiders
02-07-2012, 08:47 PM

Well said

omdigga
02-07-2012, 10:07 PM
so this thread never really got ugly... like everyone predicted in the first 10 posts.. kind of disappointed..

i would have to agree with larry on this one...

bucketss
02-07-2012, 10:17 PM
im a lebron fan and i agree with this, i honestly dont see whats wrong with what larry said and why this laker fan is using it to bait others into responding negatively smh.....

Sinestro
02-07-2012, 10:20 PM
Can't disagree there both men are wired differently the most interesting part of the podcast was actually when Simmons and Bird were talking about a player using intelligence rather than athleticism to gain an advantage

Bulls_fan90
02-07-2012, 10:33 PM
Couldn't have put it better myself. Kobe is a winner unlike Lebrick.

swirl54
02-07-2012, 10:40 PM
Hell to win and pair with Bird I'd take Kobe all day over LeBron

Kenny
02-07-2012, 10:51 PM
Bird said in this podcast Lebron is BY FAR the best player in the nba today.

Why did nobody mention that???

THE GIPPER
02-07-2012, 10:51 PM
Its pointless to compare Kobe and Lebron until their career's are over imo

JJ_JKidd
02-07-2012, 11:02 PM
Its pointless to compare Kobe and Lebron until their career's are over imo

Partly true

Chronz
02-07-2012, 11:33 PM
I disagree.

LeBron could have a fist full of rings and what Larry said could still very well be true. With the amount of talent on the Heat, LeBron will almost certainly win an NBA title eventually. That doesn't mean that his mind is set the same way Kobe's is. And that's really all that Bird is saying.
Oh I dont care about that will to win stuff, just what he has to measure it by. As soon as the rings start piling up I promise you alot of different things will be said about LeBron. Ive seen it happen over and over and over and over, this will be no different.

ink
02-07-2012, 11:50 PM
Oh I dont care about that will to win stuff, just what he has to measure it by. As soon as the rings start piling up I promise you alot of different things will be said about LeBron. Ive seen it happen over and over and over and over, this will be no different.

I don't doubt what you're saying because I think it's inevitable that Lebron will win. But what in particular will change for him to win?

Fnom11
02-08-2012, 12:01 AM
I think he's mad his Pacers won't touch the Heat for a good 7 years

amos1er
02-08-2012, 03:10 AM
I've been saying this for years...All the people with financial incentive like the media will lick Lebron's arse till the cows come home, but the people who have made their money and can speak the truth freely will always tell you how it is. Lebron is all stats and media hype. Kobe is the truth and a proven winner. It seems like a no brainer to me guys. Stop hating already...just because your small market franchises have not produced crap over the years it does not give you the right to hate on greatness.

amos1er
02-08-2012, 03:12 AM
I think he's mad his Pacers won't touch the Heat for a good 7 years

Thats if you guys can hold on to Lebronze past 2014.

amos1er
02-08-2012, 03:19 AM

So I guess we are dealing in hypotheticals now eh LeChronz. Well, I'll just give my rebuttal and say that soon as I have two dickks I'll be piling up Wilt Chamberlainesque pusssy.

Evolution23
02-08-2012, 04:32 AM
First Michael called out Lebron and now Bird is calling him out. Lebron is now known as a player who shrinks under pressure. The all time greats don't respect him. Kobe has the heart of a champion and Lebron is still looking for the clutch gene.

Evolution23
02-08-2012, 04:37 AM

more excuses from a Heat fan. This is Lebron's 9th season and he is playing with 2 allstars. Enough with the excuses man. If the Heat don't win this year, it will be the biggest fail in sports history.

Jewelz0376
02-08-2012, 04:57 AM
more excuses from a Heat fan. This is Lebron's 9th season and he is playing with 2 allstars. Enough with the excuses man. If the Heat don't win this year, it will be the biggest fail in sports history.

Trust me...There will be some bs excuse for him..There always is...

naps
02-08-2012, 05:17 AM
I just went through first 2 pages and all I read kobephiles baiting the Heat fanbase for no reason..SMDH. Not a Heat fan came in till then but they kept baiting. MODs have been doing a great job lately. I am pretty sure if those were meant toward another fanbase this thread would be closed and some of the baiters would be infracted.

bucketss
02-08-2012, 09:50 AM
First Michael called out Lebron and now Bird is calling him out. Lebron is now known as a player who shrinks under pressure. The all time greats don't respect him. Kobe has the heart of a champion and Lebron is still looking for the clutch gene.

if you knew how to read and comprehend past a 7th grade level, you would notice that bird wasnt calling lebron out smh.

everything he said was true, kobe has 5 chips and is a proven winner thats why bird would rather play with him to win because he is more PROVEN, lebron is the more unselfish player which is why he is more fun to play with, thought i had to explain it to you....

bucketss
02-08-2012, 09:53 AM
I just went through first 2 pages and all I read kobephiles baiting the Heat fanbase for no reason..SMDH. Not a Heat fan came in till then but they kept baiting. MODs have been doing a great job lately. I am pretty sure if those were meant toward another fanbase this thread would be closed and some of the baiters would be infracted.

lol, it seems kobe fans are insecure for some reason... its obvious at this point lebron is currently better, and kobe is better career wise. Everyone inlcluding lebron fans know this and still they seem mad about something :confused: every lebron thread same kobe fans say something about lebron just fulfill their kobe agenda smh....

Kobe4Life
02-08-2012, 10:01 AM
Lebron is nothing to Kobe absolutely nothing. Good Stuff Larry Bird!

Lebron has how many rings? Yeah. Zero.

benzni
02-08-2012, 10:19 AM
Kobe>LeBron

sledge_mylez
02-08-2012, 10:39 AM
amos1er - you didn't listen to the interview. Take the time to actually LISTEN to the interview before posting. Larry Bird praises LeBron and say's today it's HIM then everybody else in terms of TALENT and that he's the best player in the leauge by far. How you equate that to him saying that he is media hype and overrated is beyond me. Or maybe you are a hater yourself? If you hate on LeBron I'm convinced you don't like basketball, same as if you hate on your boy Kobe. They are two all time greats (Kobe>Lebron in terms of legacy)let's just enjoy watching them play and compete. Get that hate out your heart child and enjoy the greatness that is the NBA.

Patman
02-08-2012, 10:46 AM

Totally Agree.

The best example happened a few months ago. Dirk was labeled a choker and unclutch.... even though the past few years the guy was among the leaders in 4th quarter scoring and clutch statistics and led his team to 10 50+ win seasons.. After that playoff run he was heralded as the epitome of clutch.........
If Lebron wins and I'm relatively certain he will, all that he's no winner stuff will go away.

bucketss
02-08-2012, 10:52 AM
amos1er - you didn't listen to the interview. Take the time to actually LISTEN to the interview before posting. Larry Bird praises LeBron and say's today it's HIM then everybody else in terms of TALENT and that he's the best player in the leauge by far. How you equate that to him saying that he is media hype and overrated is beyond me. Or maybe you are a hater yourself? If you hate on LeBron I'm convinced you don't like basketball, same as if you hate on your boy Kobe. They are two all time greats (Kobe>Lebron in terms of legacy)let's just enjoy watching them play and compete. Get that hate out your heart child and enjoy the greatness that is the NBA.

he has a pic of dragon ball z character, im assuming hes only 12 so you're going to have to excuse him.

rudygetz
02-08-2012, 11:08 AM
Really going out on a limb there Larry. Kobe has rings. It took MJ 7 years and he was the best EVER. LBJ had scrubs for the first 7 years.

Let this play out. He wasn't supposed to sniff the finals last year, and the Heat did and had a legitimate shot at winning it.

If anyone wants to have a realistic convo about this I'm all ears.

RowBTrice
02-08-2012, 11:16 AM
hahahahaha

nickdymez
02-08-2012, 11:19 AM
lol, it seems kobe fans are insecure for some reason... its obvious at this point lebron is currently better, and kobe is better career wise. Everyone inlcluding lebron fans know this and still they seem mad about something :confused: every lebron thread same kobe fans say something about lebron just fulfill their kobe agenda smh....

No one cares about Lebron being better than Kobe right now. You can have that. Kobe wins though. Us "Kobephiles" (Another stupid ****in PSD term) only care about our LAKERS TEAM winning a championship. Thats it. Kobe brings that to us. You Lebron fans can sit here and keep predicting the future, we will keep talking about the facts. Fact is, 5 rings....

UPRock
02-08-2012, 11:22 AM
The Kobe fans always say the same thing "Kobe is better than Lebron because he has rings" ****k that, that's like saying that Fisher is better than Chris Paul because of the rings. Rings or no rings Lebron is a better player RIGHT NOW, and even Larry said that.

ManningToTyree
02-08-2012, 11:25 AM
Larry is right

da ThRONe
02-08-2012, 02:07 PM
Using his logic, how many rings had Shaq already won without Kobe? Or, how many Finals MVPs did Shaq ever win without Kobe? :)

His logic was Wade is just as good of a player as LeBron therefore it diminshes any titles they win together. He tries to validate it by mentioning that Wade has a ring and was Finals MVP already. Most people feel like those titles Kobe won were on Shaq's team.

nickdymez
02-08-2012, 02:13 PM
The Kobe fans always say the same thing "Kobe is better than Lebron because he has rings" ****k that, that's like saying that Fisher is better than Chris Paul because of the rings. Rings or no rings Lebron is a better player RIGHT NOW, and even Larry said that.

lol.. Do you know who Kobe Bryant is? Im thinking no if your comparing him to Derek Fisher.

nickdymez
02-08-2012, 02:13 PM
His logic was Wade is just as good of a player as LeBron therefore it diminshes any titles they win together. He tries to validate it by mentioning that Wade has a ring and was Finals MVP already. Most people feel like those titles Kobe won were on Shaq's team.

What about the ones he won when Shaq left?

da ThRONe
02-08-2012, 02:23 PM

This isn't my attempt to discredit Kobe. Kobe even if he was the "Little Brother" he still was a key player in that championship run. I just don't see why anybody would try to knock LeBron if he wins with Wade.

Hawkize31
02-08-2012, 02:36 PM
Its very simple. If you want a guy who shoots 24 times a game and gets 28-30 ppg, you want Kobe. If you want the most dominant player in the game on both sides of the ball, you want Lebron.

If you think championships are won by individual players alone, you know nothing about basketball.

Baller1
02-08-2012, 02:41 PM
Lebron isn't even ****ing 30 years of age. For all we know, he can still end his career with more rings thanks Kobe.

This **** is getting old.

Htownballa1622
02-08-2012, 02:47 PM
Couldn't have put it better myself. Kobe is a winner unlike Lebrick.

Can someone explain this to me? I read idiotic posts from these type of people all the time. I just want a logical explanation.

Badluck33
02-08-2012, 02:56 PM
Can someone explain this to me? I read idiotic posts from these type of people all the time. I just want a logical explanation.

Kobe is one thing Lebron has never been.

Clutch.

MTL_123
02-08-2012, 03:07 PM

kobe couldnt get out of the first round til gasol came thats what happened.

Yes kobe has a better career but your stupid if u think kobe is better than Lebron RIGHT NOW

Htownballa1622
02-08-2012, 03:15 PM

Clutch.

Really? Cuz I've seen him make clutch plays before. Especially last year finishing off the bulls in the East. So....

I also wasn't talking about "clutch."

The poster said "Kobe's a winner. " He's insinuating that Lebron isn't but when he said "winner" I was asking what that meant? Finals winner? What kind of winner?

Because if that's the case.

Malone
Barkley
Stockton
Dwight
Cp3
Rose
Melo
Etc... Aren't winners either?

Beltrans Mole
02-08-2012, 03:17 PM

Clutch.

Lebron has never BEEN clutch, but who's to say he will never BE clutch in the future? I'm not a Kobe or a Lebron hater, I actually like both guys a lot. I just get tired of people writing the script for Lebron's career when he's still only 27 years old. Kobe is clutch and has the hardware to prove it, but writing off Lebron makes you look juvenile and silly. He's clearly the most talented guy in the league.

justinnum1
02-08-2012, 03:20 PM
Really? Cuz I've seen him make clutch plays before. Especially last year finishing off the bulls in the East. So....

The poster said "Kobe's a winner. " He's insinuating that Lebron isn't but when he said "winner" I was asking what that meant? Finals winner? What kind of winner?

Malone
Barkley
Stockton
Dwight
Cp3
Rose
Melo

Good point.

mavsman81
02-08-2012, 03:24 PM

No one cares who is better in the end. Its all about CHAMPIONSHIPS! Easy math Kobe-5, LeBron-0. Kobe is better hands down. Plus Kobe has killer instinct, Lebron chokes repeatedly, that should should also be considered in someone's overall game

northsider
02-08-2012, 03:30 PM

Malone
Barkley
Stockton
Dwight
Cp3
Rose
Melo

The only winning that matters and in this case you are right none of those guys are winners. Luckily though 4 of them still have a shot to not go in the list of all time greats who couldn't get the job done. Any sane person would rather have a winning team with mediocrity across the stats board then looking back and having a non winning team with all amazing statistical players. The point of the game is to win period and anything else is just an individual achievement.

MTL_123
02-08-2012, 03:30 PM
No one cares who is better in the end. Its all about CHAMPIONSHIPS! Easy math Kobe-5, LeBron-0. Kobe is better hands down. Plus Kobe has killer instinct, Lebron chokes repeatedly, that should should also be considered in someone's overall game

ok than so is Robert Horry better than Jordan and Kobe because he has 7 rings. easy math 7>6>5:facepalm:

lakers4sho
02-08-2012, 03:32 PM
Larry wasn't comparing the number of rings the two have, he's too smart for that. What he's talking about is Kobe's unfaltering warrior state of mind. Lebron can have 10 rings at the end of his career with that all star lineup of his, but Kobe's mental toughness is unmatched by anyone in the league right now.

mavsman81
02-08-2012, 03:36 PM

I ABSOLUTELY would give him credit if he won rings. I just cant stand the labels of "Chosen One" "King James" comparisons to MJ, its rediculous when he hasnt won a ring. Plus MJ wouldve NEVER teamed with superstars to win. MJ beat the best, not played with the best.

avon_barksdale
02-08-2012, 03:41 PM
kobe wanna be jordan - best bball playa

bron wanna be jayz - a pop culture icon

northsider
02-08-2012, 03:42 PM
I hate using the ring thing as a negative for Lebron cause I really really really believe he will win one and I don't want to be one of the people to have nothing left to say in regards to why he isn't one of the best in the game. I just shut my mouth and try my hardest to enjoy how good he is regardless of how much I don't really like the guy. If you don't semi enjoy watching his game then I really question how much of a ball fan you actually are.

Teeboy1487
02-08-2012, 03:45 PM
ok than so is Robert Horry better than Jordan and Kobe because he has 7 rings. easy math 7>6>5:facepalm:

This has always been a bad counter-argument to me because Horry was clearly a role player. Superstars are judged by their rings. I'm not making this stuff up. Winning championships increases the legacies for many superstars.

If Lebron retired right now, he would still be a Hall of Famer. However, he would be known as another superstar who could not win it all. If he wins even one ring, his legacy will explode to new heights.

This is just the way it is. I do think Lebron is the best player in the league bar none and the so called "Great Debate" ended for me a few years ago. However, at the end of the day, it's all about winning and leading your team to a championship. That's all that matters.

CHANGO
02-08-2012, 03:49 PM

Clutch.

Sixers game... He was clutch :cool:

naps
02-08-2012, 03:53 PM
One word that comes to my mind after going over this thread: Insecurity.

Listen Kobephiles, Kobe is almost near the end of his career. LeBron is came into the league 7 years after Kobe and is just entering his prime. Show me one person that said LeBron is better player career-wise. Ofcouse Kobe has had a better career. However, you can't accept that LeBron is the best player on the planet right now. Why? Because Kobe has 5 rings so Kobe will still be the best player as long as he keeps playing? Why not Duncan the 2nd best player then?

Shmontaine
02-08-2012, 03:59 PM
i don't know why anyone can not accept what bird has said here... he's pretty dead on... LJ has all the opportunity to prove him wrong if he feels it is so...

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-08-2012, 04:00 PM

Listen Kobephiles, Kobe is almost near the end of his career. LeBron is came into the league 7 years after Kobe and is just entering his prime. Show me one person that said LeBron is better player career-wise. Ofcouse Kobe has had a better career. However, you can't accept that LeBron is the best player on the planet right now. Why? Because Kobe has 5 rings so Kobe will still be the best player as long as he keeps playing? Why not Duncan the 2nd best player then?

LeBron is the best player and most overwhelming physical specimen in the NBA today no doubt.

Your argument for Duncan isn't all that great. The last time his Spurs were relevant in the championship picture was in 2008, which was the last time they made it to the WCF. Since then, they've been ousted in the 1st round (once by an 8th seed Memphis Grizzlies squad). So in fact, I think that hurts Tim Duncan's legacy just a bit and that's something none of Kobe's Laker teams have suffered (in terms of losing to an 8th seeded team). Also, Tim Duncan is definitely near the end and his game has really dropped off since 2005. He wasn't even all that great in the 2007 postseason and 2007 Finals. Manu carried the Spurs through the first 3 rounds and Parker finished the job against the Cavs (thus why he got Finals MVP).

mavsman81
02-08-2012, 04:05 PM

Dumb question, of coarse Horry isnt better than MJ, , between Kobe and Lebron, which is what this thread is about, Kobe hands down, Lebron hasnt earned the right to be mentioned in the same breathe as MJ or Kobe or even Duncan. But if he can pull 4 or 5 rings when said and done, that would be a thread.

Sox72
02-08-2012, 04:09 PM

Malone
Barkley
Stockton
Dwight
Cp3
Rose
Melo

I understand the point you are making, but it's a little bit tougher to make with the guys in bold. They had to deal with Michael Jordan. Had they not, they all likely would have been winners. It's a bit of an extreme situation, in my opinion.

mavsman81
02-08-2012, 04:09 PM
i don't know why anyone can not accept what bird has said here... he's pretty dead on... LJ has all the opportunity to prove him wrong if he feels it is so...

I agree, he does, but do it first, then comes the labels of "king james" and "chosen one" and comparisons to MJ and Kobe. Its cool to have swag but come on, get the hardware, and all of us will leave you alone Lebron

Sox72
02-08-2012, 04:10 PM
Sixers game... He was clutch :cool:

Yes, that one game defined how clutch he is.

Sox72
02-08-2012, 04:11 PM
I ABSOLUTELY would give him credit if he won rings. I just cant stand the labels of "Chosen One" "King James" comparisons to MJ, its rediculous when he hasnt won a ring. Plus MJ wouldve NEVER teamed with superstars to win. MJ beat the best, not played with the best.

And this, for me, is what makes him all the more incredible.

Sox72
02-08-2012, 04:14 PM

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you are including Heat fan's responses in this statement, along with the Lakers comments.

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-08-2012, 04:15 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2012/02/kobe_bryant_sai.html

The Lakers are in town and that means Kobe Bryant holds court with the assorted Los Angeles and Boston media today at the TD Garden. Among the nuggets from the interview is that he said he had never formally met Celtics legend and current Indiana Pacers president Larry Bird.

Bird gave Bryant some gracious compliments this week, saying he would have loved to have Bryant as a teammate. Bryant has mutual admiration but said he has never had a chance to express it.

"That means the world to me because I looked up to him and his worth ethic," Bryant said today. "With him kind of being a staple of a blue collar player that's been blessed with a great deal of talent. His determination, his motivation. I remember some quotes that I heard from Tommy Heinsohn describing Larry Bird that were very moving to me when I was a kid and if I could be that way I feel I could be pretty good so I kind of followed his lead in that regard. To hear him have that kind of praise for me means a lot."

Although Bryant played against Bird-coached Pacers teams in the late 1990s and in the 2000 NBA Finals, there has never been a formal conversation. Bryant said the two have never talked.

"I never met him because I never see him," Bryant said. "During the All-Star Game in Cleveland (in 1997) our paths never crossed. It's crazy."

Bryant also said he fully plans to play in the 2012 Olympics in London and that the torn ligament in his wrist has healed. He said he is healthy.

Shmontaine
02-08-2012, 04:22 PM
I agree, he does, but do it first, then comes the labels of "king james" and "chosen one" and comparisons to MJ and Kobe. Its cool to have swag but come on, get the hardware, and all of us will leave you alone Lebron

well... i agree to an extent here.

LJ has never really had to work to gain the accolades that he's received... unless of course, you count all that 'work' he did when he was 15 & 16 yrs old to earn the 'king james' and 'chosen one' titles he was given then... i really think all the people around him when he was younger, boosting him up, hurt his mental development greatly...

to that extent, it's kind of hard to have a killer instinct when you've gotten everything handed to you... don't get me wrong, he's a great player and phenomenal athlete, but i don't think he will ever have the mentality of a true champion...

Gibby23
02-08-2012, 04:34 PM
Kobe is a guest on 710 ESPN Max and Marcellus show right now. They asked him if he could team up with 1 player in the league for the next 3 years who would it be. He said Lebron. He said Lebron is a facilitator and he is a scorer.

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-08-2012, 04:36 PM
Kobe is a guest on 710 ESPN Max and Marcellus show right now. They asked him if he could team up with 1 player in the league for the next 3 years who would it be. He said Lebron. He said Lebron is a facilitator and he is a scorer.

:clap: I have to listen to the podcast to see in what context and tone he said this.

bucketss
02-08-2012, 04:37 PM
Yes, that one game defined how clutch he is.

no, his playoff performances over the years define how clutch he is,

mavsman81
02-08-2012, 04:44 PM
And this, for me, is what makes him all the more incredible.

Agreed,

Sox72
02-08-2012, 04:45 PM

I see you clearly overlooked the somewhat blatantly-mocking sarcasm in my post.

mavsman81
02-08-2012, 04:46 PM

Too bad you cant include Finals performances in your so called "clutch" playoff performances

bucketss
02-08-2012, 04:49 PM
atleast he made it to the finals, unlike some players who are labelled clutch without going that far.

Sox72
02-08-2012, 04:52 PM
atleast he made it to the finals, unlike some players who are labelled clutch without going that far.

I don't see the direct correlation between the two.

bucketss
02-08-2012, 05:09 PM
basically, melo clutch in reg. season, lose in the first round almost every year = hes clutch

lebron take over and CLOSE out series every year = choker, not clutch

CHANGO
02-08-2012, 05:09 PM
Lebron was clutch vs Pistons...
Lebron was clutch vs Celtics...
Lebron was clutch vs Bulls...
Lebron was clutch vs Wizards...
Lebron choke vs Mavs...
Lebron "choke" vs Celtics...

He doesn't have what it takes. Doesn't have that killer instinct.

beliges
02-08-2012, 05:11 PM

The reason why most NBA personell people put Kobe as the best player in the world ahead of LBJ still today is because Lebron lacks the major attributes that Kobe still possesses. Obviously Kobe is no longer in his prime and LBJ is bigger, stronger, and much more athletic than Kobe. But Kobe has no weaknesses in his game. He has mastered every element of the game. This is what seperates the two in the eyes of many. We all saw what happened to LBJ when it mattered the most last year in the FInals. He was predictable, he had no go to move, he was contained by Dallas. He was pretty much ineffective. He still has room for imrpovement. His lack of production in the FInals was not because he lacked explosiveness or athleticism or quickness, but rather because he has some gaping holes in his game still. Kobe, while no longer quick and explosive, has no holes in his game. This is what separates the two. Lebron is clearly better at this point in his career but only because he is an athletic beast, who is in his prime and has unmatched quickness and explosiveness. Kobe is still more skilled and talented when it comes to basketball.

Sox72
02-08-2012, 05:26 PM
basically, melo clutch in reg. season, lose in the first round almost every year = hes clutch

lebron take over and CLOSE out series every year = choker, not clutch

Well, I think it depends on how one views "clutch". If you consider winning series/closing out clutch, then I see your point. Though, he still has not been clutch/won/closed out any of the Finals appearances he has been in. That is probably the most important factor in determining "clutch" if you are taking this viewpoint.

However, if you view it as taking your game to another level at the end of the game, in very stressful and close situations, then I don't believe he has been as clutch as others on a regular basis. Especially when it matters the most. Forget the regular season (as Heat fans like to say) or any other rounds in the playoffs. What matters is the Finals and championships, right?

Nonetheless, I think your point went astray when you used his making the finals as a reason for him being clutch. I would in no way, shape, or form say Melo is a better player. And like you said, he has never made the Finals. However, I would say he is more "clutch" than LBJ, in terms of the end of a game.

cubbies7177
02-08-2012, 05:27 PM
I beg to differ about that. Kobe is more about style points as well and ego thus his relentless desire to win. Don't get me wrong his selfishness and ego-centrism is what made him the player he is. They are both about flash and ego, it's just Kobe has more balls and is a control freak aka Bill Russel. He has the desire like Jordan but with less efficiency and relies more on his cast than Jordan does. LeBron has the desire he just doesn't have the balls and fortitude that Kobe does, just my .02. LeBron games is far superior if you take away the psychological factor and ability to rise to the occasion.

Wow. Lebron is "far superior if you take away the psychological factor and ability to rise to the occasion." What kind of statement is that.... You KNOW it has to be factored in. How could it not be?

We aren't comparing these players statistically. We are trying to see if there is any legitimacy to Bird's statement that Kobe is a better teammate to have IF you want to WIN.

OK. Maybe, Lebron is a better player on paper. Stronger, faster, bigger. But, for some reason, probably mommy issues, he cannot close big games and commits so many huge turnovers. It's 100% a mental issue with Lebron, but until he figures it out (which very well may be this season), Kobe is a better player to go to war with.

RaiderLakersA's
02-08-2012, 05:30 PM

We'll no doubt see this again in the Olympics.

As for Larry Legend's comments, I wouldn't expect anything else. Kobe's mindset really does harken back to the days when talent and celebrity never got you anywhere in this league. But back then a well-timed forearm shiver to the throat reminded players that this wasn't just a game and fun took a backseat to everything else.

But fear not, there is still hope for LeBron. He is undoubtedly one of the most imposing players in the league, if not consistently so. His approach to the game may also be a generational thing...and it's just a matter of time before people that share his perspective outnumber the old school ballers.

LeBron will have his day, and it won't be solely because he added some bling to his collection. It will be because, like Shaq, there just isn't anyone else in the league anywhere as naturally blessed as LeBron is. I just hope that LeBron doesn't cheat his true potential, like Shaq (or the injuries, if you believe Shaq's version of it) did.

mavsman81
02-08-2012, 05:37 PM
We'll no doubt see this again in the Olympics.

As for Larry Legend's comments, I wouldn't expect anything else. Kobe's mindset really does harken back to the days when talent and celebrity never got you anywhere in this league. But back then a well-timed forearm shiver to the throat reminded players that this wasn't just a game and fun took a backseat to everything else.

But fear not, there is still hope for LeBron. He is undoubtedly one of the most imposing players in the league, if not consistently so. His approach to the game may also be a generational thing...and it's just a matter of time before people that share his perspective outnumber the old school ballers.

LeBron will have his day, and it won't be solely because he added some bling to his collection. It will be because, like Shaq, there just isn't anyone else in the league anywhere as naturally blessed as LeBron is. I just hope that LeBron doesn't cheat his true potential, like Shaq (or the injuries, if you believe Shaq's version of it) did.

Those were the good old days, these young ballers want all the glory without sacrifice it seems like IMO..

xILLN355
02-08-2012, 06:29 PM
lulz larry mad:cry::speechless:

amos1er
02-08-2012, 06:32 PM
he has a pic of dragon ball z character, im assuming hes only 12 so you're going to have to excuse him.

I'm 30 actually...pretty ignorant of you to say that just because I have a DBZ pic must mean I'm a child. Many Japanese citizens enjoy DBZ and other anime up until their 40's...does that make them childish? That would be foolish to say considering their car industry and economy topples ours and Japan's collective IQ is much higher than here in the US. Most of you Lebron nut huggers act like children worshiping a guy that can't get the job done. Who calls someone a king or the chosen one who hasn't won jack. Only winners can be kings my friend.

Sota4Ever
02-08-2012, 06:42 PM
Give me Kobe every time to win a ship.

ghettosean
02-08-2012, 06:48 PM
I'm 30 actually...pretty ignorant of you to say that just because I have a DBZ pic must mean I'm a child. Many Japanese citizens enjoy DBZ and other anime up until their 40's...does that make them childish? That would be foolish to say considering their car industry and economy topples ours and Japan's collective IQ is much higher than here in the US. Most of you Lebron nut huggers act like children worshiping a guy that can't get the job done. Who calls someone a king or the chosen one who hasn't won jack. Only winners can be kings my friend.

:clap:

I'm 31 and I love DBZ too it's actually an adult series in Japan and turned into a childrens cartoon when they converted the language to english. Lets stick to facts guys and not act like little kids who have to pick on a guys avatar to win an arguement.

mlisica19
02-08-2012, 06:58 PM
I fully agree with this, I have said this time after time again. LeBron is the most athletic guy in the NBA. His skills are bar none... but Kobe is a winner. Thats the leader I want... and in all honesty, I think with Kobes skills... plus his motivation and leaderhsip and experience. Right now its better than leBron.

LeBron is killing it currently, but well see what he does in the playoffs. When its a series, when everything matters and when coaching and preparation is key among all

pd1dish
02-08-2012, 07:03 PM
well, Lebron may be the best player in the league currently, but prime Kobe is always going to be better than prime Lebron. id draft Kobe to my organization before i draft Lebron

NYMetros
02-08-2012, 07:10 PM
well, Lebron may be the best player in the league currently, but prime Kobe is always going to be better than prime Lebron. id draft Kobe to my organization before i draft Lebron

I don't think LeBron's even hit his prime yet. He's only 27.

ThunderousDemon
02-08-2012, 07:19 PM

He's been in his prime for the last two years.

Teeboy1487
02-08-2012, 07:26 PM
The reason why most NBA personell people put Kobe as the best player in the world ahead of LBJ still today is because Lebron lacks the major attributes that Kobe still possesses. Obviously Kobe is no longer in his prime and LBJ is bigger, stronger, and much more athletic than Kobe. But Kobe has no weaknesses in his game. He has mastered every element of the game. This is what seperates the two in the eyes of many. We all saw what happened to LBJ when it mattered the most last year in the FInals. He was predictable, he had no go to move, he was contained by Dallas. He was pretty much ineffective. He still has room for imrpovement. His lack of production in the FInals was not because he lacked explosiveness or athleticism or quickness, but rather because he has some gaping holes in his game still. Kobe, while no longer quick and explosive, has no holes in his game. This is what separates the two. Lebron is clearly better at this point in his career but only because he is an athletic beast, who is in his prime and has unmatched quickness and explosiveness. Kobe is still more skilled and talented when it comes to basketball.

I agree with this, but I will only go as far as scoring that I feel Kobe is more skilled. As a facilitator though, Kobe is not even close. Lebron's point guard ability for a scorer of his caliber is unmatched. Lebron is at his peak athletically. I'm am curious to see how effective he can be on the wing once his athleticism is gone. That's why I think he will make the move to PF towards the end of his career.

Lim
02-08-2012, 07:27 PM
this argument will never end. even if lebron wins a ring this year it will be "oh well he had a top 5 player on his team, he cant do it alone" or something stupid like that

magichatnumber9
02-08-2012, 07:55 PM
this argument will never end. even if lebron wins a ring this year it will be "oh well he had a top 5 player on his team, he cant do it alone" or something stupid like thatHe don't care. He asked to pair himself with two other stars.

Chronz
02-08-2012, 09:06 PM
So I guess we are dealing in hypotheticals now eh LeChronz. Well, I'll just give my rebuttal and say that soon as I have two dickks I'll be piling up Wilt Chamberlainesque pusssy.

No Im just using historical precedence, its happened to alot of other players over the years. Paul Pierce and KG for example, even Dirk. Dont know what your trying to get at but Im only stating the obvious. It will happen with Bron like it has happened to all the others.

Chronz
02-08-2012, 09:10 PM
I don't doubt what you're saying because I think it's inevitable that Lebron will win. But what in particular will change for him to win?
Depends on who you ask, but what changed in KG when he won a title or got past R.1? That title vindicated his career, and rightfully so, but its still a game.

amos1er
02-08-2012, 09:30 PM
No Im just using historical precedence, its happened to alot of other players over the years. Paul Pierce and KG for example, even Dirk. Dont know what your trying to get at but Im only stating the obvious. It will happen with Bron like it has happened to all the others.

KG and Pierce knew how to sacrifice personal stats in order to get the job done. They also had to form a super team in their later careers. Lebron did it mid way through his career and with one player in the top 5 in the league and the other in the top 15. KG was the only Celtic in the top 15 in the league back in 2008. Dirk is not a stat whore like James and did not shrink in big moments like James. I have never seen a player like Lebron with such entitlement and ego that has not won a title. KG, Pierce, and Dirk are much more humble than James...well Pierce became a cocky dick after he won the title...but at least he had a title to back it up. Once Lebron matures a bit more and learns to sacrifice his precious stats, he will have a good shot at finally winning a title.

nickdymez
02-08-2012, 09:47 PM

What?

ghettosean
02-08-2012, 10:38 PM
KG and Pierce knew how to sacrifice personal stats in order to get the job done. They also had to form a super team in their later careers. Lebron did it mid way through his career and with one player in the top 5 in the league and the other in the top 15. KG was the only Celtic in the top 15 in the league back in 2008. Dirk is not a stat whore like James and did not shrink in big moments like James. I have never seen a player like Lebron with such entitlement and ego that has not won a title. KG, Pierce, and Dirk are much more humble than James...well Pierce became a cocky dick after he won the title...but at least he had a title to back it up. Once Lebron matures a bit more and learns to sacrifice his precious stats, he will have a good shot at finally winning a title.
Wow couldn't have said it much better than that.

tredigs
02-08-2012, 11:09 PM
This thread cracks me up.

If you listened to the Podcast of Bill Simmons and Bird that this is from, you would understand that he is not sleighting Lebron in the least, and flat out said that "Lebron is... BY FAR, the best player in the league. We need to sit back and enjoy what he is doing".

He simply thinks Kobe is the games toughest player and the won he would've wanted to play with to try to win championships. A fair opinion.

I listened to the podcast yesterday morning and just laughed immediately when he said what he did, knowing people would try to pick and choose certain statements from it (completely out of context) and run with it. Took a Kobe Screename 1 day. Not bad.

Durant is hype
02-09-2012, 12:29 AM
Bird said in this podcast Lebron is BY FAR the best player in the nba today.

Why did nobody mention that???

DING,DING,DING!!! We got a winner.

bulldog312
02-09-2012, 01:45 AM
Well, what are we defining as "best" player? If it's who you are more likely to win a championship, I would go with Kobe over Lebron. He has that drive to win and leadership that Lebron simply doesn't. But there is no doubt that Lebron is the most talented player. There is a difference.

xILLN355
02-09-2012, 02:17 AM
justin.tv/dbz_hd

^^ watch dragonball z 24/7 haha

MTar786
02-09-2012, 04:10 AM
kobe provides many more intangibles than lebron. leadership, clutchness, drive, work ethic.
if it werent for kobes poor shot selection he would have easily STILL been the best player in the league today.. and much more arguably as good as mj.. maybe even better. And with 6 or 7 rings right now IMO and possibly a career average of shooting 50% (which is unheard of for a sg).
thats how much kobes shot selection ruins kobe for me

stawka
02-09-2012, 04:50 AM
LeBron is EASILY the better player, but it's Kobe's will to win and killer mentality that make people think twice. As far as basketball, LeBron wins this by a mile (especially at this point), but Kobe's "win or die trying" attitude is up there with MJ -- only difference is, MJ delivered all the time and Kobe often shot his team out of a game/series

zizo
02-09-2012, 04:59 AM

NO.
they say "Kobe is better than Lebron because he has mentalityy that brings rings''

lebron > kobe
kobe's mentality >>> lebron's mentality
result: kobe >> lebron .. NOW THIS SEASON

deal with it

Chronz
02-09-2012, 12:57 PM
KG and Pierce knew how to sacrifice personal stats in order to get the job done.
You make it sound like its some sort of secret to have more help.

They also had to form a super team in their later careers. Lebron did it mid way through his career and with one player in the top 5 in the league and the other in the top 15. KG was the only Celtic in the top 15 in the league back in 2008.
Yes why are you telling me something that happened a few years ago as if its golden information? Like why do I need to know about something KG wishes he had done earlier?

Dirk is not a stat whore like James and did not shrink in big moments like James.
Yea much worse things were said about Dirk than being a stat whore. Thank god those days are over.

I have never seen a player like Lebron with such entitlement and ego that has not won a title.
Thats totally fine, but out of curiosity what do you think a title would do to that ego?

KG, Pierce, and Dirk are much more humble than James...well Pierce became a cocky dick after he won the title...but at least he had a title to back it up. Once Lebron matures a bit more and learns to sacrifice his precious stats, he will have a good shot at finally winning a title.

Nah, sacrificing stats is what lost him the title, its time to step up and produce.

Chronz
02-09-2012, 01:01 PM
NVM too *****y

amos1er
02-09-2012, 04:40 PM
You make it sound like its some sort of secret to have more help.

Lebron needs to accept Wade and Bosh's help and stop robbing them of their stats. Out of the Heat's big three, Lebron is the only player to increase his statistical performance. Wade and Bosh both have sacrificed rebounds, ppg, and assists since pairing up with James. It needs to be a mutual sacrifice in order for the team perform at its best. Lebron is going for MVP at the expense to his team getting the one seed.

Yes why are you telling me something that happened a few years ago as if its golden information? Like why do I need to know about something KG wishes he had done earlier?

KG was more mature when he formed his big three, and he teamed up with talent that fit his game more than Lebron did. Lebron just teamed up with the best players he could find and forced them to adjust their games to fit his style of play. Not the recipe for a championship cocktail if you are using history as your precedent...especially after the debacle last year.

Yea much worse things were said about Dirk than being a stat whore. Thank god those days are over.

Dirk is waaaaay more clutch than Lebron. even in 2006 when people say that Dirk didn't step up enough in the finals (pretty hard when the refs were giving Wade everything...but we'll save that for another debate) he still put up much better numbers than Lebron did in both 2007 and 2011. Lebron has the lowest 4th quarter output in NBA finals history for an all-star player.

Thats totally fine, but out of curiosity what do you think a title would do to that ego?

Assuming he gets the finals MVP over Wade, I would hope he would finally stop overcompensating for his shortcomings and be more of a team player so that he could put his team in a better position to win more titles.

Nah, sacrificing stats is what lost him the title, its time to step up and produce.

Not really bro...He was so busy stat hogging for 3 quarters, that when the 4th came around, he was tired and Dallas had made adjustments. His teammates had no time to get involved in the game because he wants to do everything, therefore they could not get in done for him in the 4th either.

CHANGO
02-09-2012, 05:32 PM
Lebron needs to accept Wade and Bosh's help and stop robbing them of their stats. Out of the Heat's big three, Lebron is the only player to increase his statistical performance. Wade and Bosh both have sacrificed rebounds, ppg, and assists since pairing up with James. It needs to be a mutual sacrifice in order for the team perform at its best. Lebron is going for MVP at the expense to his team getting the one seed.

KG was more mature when he formed his big three, and he teamed up with talent that fit his game more than Lebron did. Lebron just teamed up with the best players he could find and forced them to adjust their games to fit his style of play. Not the recipe for a championship cocktail if you are using history as your precedent...especially after the debacle last year.

Dirk is waaaaay more clutch than Lebron. even in 2006 when people say that Dirk didn't step up enough in the finals (pretty hard when the refs were giving Wade everything...but we'll save that for another debate) he still put up much better numbers than Lebron did in both 2007 and 2011. Lebron has the lowest 4th quarter output in NBA finals history for an all-star player.

Assuming he gets the finals MVP over Wade, I would hope he would finally stop overcompensating for his shortcomings and be more of a team player so that he could put his team in a better position to win more titles.

Not really bro...He was so busy stat hogging for 3 quarters, that when the 4th came around, he was tired and Dallas had made adjustments. His teammates had no time to get involved in the game because he wants to do everything, therefore they could not get in done for him in the 4th either.

This isn't about Kobe.

amos1er
02-09-2012, 06:06 PM
This isn't about Kobe.

I was replying to another poster. The debate evolved obviously.

Htownballa1622
02-09-2012, 06:24 PM

Robbing stats?
Stat hogging?

Are you serious?

Chronz
02-09-2012, 06:51 PM
All of their stats fell so whats your point, isnt that a mutual drop/sacrifice?Then again maybe Im not understanding your argument but thats what happens when you deal with cliches. Looks to me like LeBron has accepted their help, if your complaining about how the pieces fit then thats different but Bron doing less isnt the answer to me.

Im sorry Im still not getting the point your making even if what your saying is true (which I would love to see how your proving). KG regretted taking so long and he teamed up with the best talent available. KG actually had a bounce back year that year too.

OK? Im glad you feel so but you do not speak for the entire population and my point was that plenty of people were saying distasteful things about him, his career/character, Bron will be no different.

If your trying to make this a comparison then Dirk being way more clutch didnt prevent him from choking in R.1. Bron in his Finals "Choke" still had a better playoff run than just about most of the league (Kobe included) so your not really damning him. I dont think your getting the point of my post (which is titles will change what people say about Bron), what your saying doesnt change any of that.

Thats interesting, similar to what I heard about Kobe from other extremists.

Nah he played the same he did all year, the same way that got them to the Finals, the only thing that changed in Dallas was the he was actually hogging less. He wasnt as aggressive, in order for Miami to win he cant lose faith in his abilities and of course it would help for him not to play 44+MPG on full speed on both ends for an entire Finals run.

Chronz
02-09-2012, 06:54 PM
I was replying to another poster. The debate evolved obviously.

Devolved is more like it, I really dont see where your trying to take this.