PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Challenge adopting draft format

GodsSon
02-07-2012, 04:32 PM
NBA All-Star 2012 will play host to the BBVA Rising Stars Challenge, which will introduce an exciting new format to a game that has historically featured NBA rookies facing off against sophomores. For the first time, rookies and sophomores will be mixed together on teams.

TNT Analysts Charles Barkley and Shaquille O’Neal will serve as the general managers of two opposing teams, each with nine man rosters, consisting of NBA rookies and sophomores drafted from a pool that was previously selected by the NBA’s assistant coaches. Also, TNT’s Kenny Smith will serve as the honorary Commissioner and Ernie Johnson will host the live BBVA Rising Stars Challenge Draft on Thursday, Feb. 16, on NBA TV at 7 p.m. ET.

The pool of players will be announced on Feb. 8, followed by the live BBVA Rising Stars Challenge Draft on Thursday evening, Feb. 16. Fellow TNT Analysts Mike Fratello and Steve Kerr will be part of the coaching staffs for the teams, with Fratello joining TEAM CHUCK and Kerr joining TEAM SHAQ. The Head Coaches for both teams will be the lead assistant coaches from the 2012 NBA All-Star Game coaching staffs.

Link (http://www.insidehoops.com/rookie-challenge.shtml)

So they're adopting the NHL format of the All-Star fantasy draft. I'm guessing it's only a matter of time before they do the same for the regular All-Star game voting.

iggypop123
02-07-2012, 04:42 PM
interesting to see what Barkley will do. This is the guy who in his all time fantasy draft took Iverson 1st.

DaBUU
02-07-2012, 04:42 PM
I like this for the rookie-sophomores. not sure if id like it for the regular game.

dhopisthename
02-07-2012, 04:47 PM
lol will definitely watch this

Jint.
02-07-2012, 04:50 PM
I like it

John Walls Era
02-07-2012, 04:51 PM
I like this idea, not for the AS game but for a game like this its perfect. Should be funny as well.

pd7631
02-07-2012, 04:51 PM
interesting to see what Barkley will do. This is the guy who in his all time fantasy draft took Iverson 1st.

He made a fantastic choice.

Korman12
02-07-2012, 04:54 PM
I'm liking this a lot actually. Taking the NHL format idea, but not using it for the actual All-Star game.

NYKnicks4511
02-07-2012, 04:56 PM
He made a fantastic choice.

Agreed. Who knows what Iverson could've done in his prime if he had any sort of help.

pd7631
02-07-2012, 04:59 PM
So the pool of players will be?...

Rooks

Kyrie Irving
Ricky Rubio
Marshon Brooks
Kemba Walker
Brandon Knight
Norris Cole
Kawhi Leonard
Enes Kanter
Nik Vucevic

Sophomores

Blake Griffin(unless he skips the game)
Greg Monroe
John Wall
Demarcus Cousins
Evan Turner
Paul George
Derrick Favors
Patrick Patterson
Tiago Splitter

That's just off the top of my head, I apologize for any glaring omissions. Good thing they're gonna mix the teams, because it's essentially guards vs. bigs otherwise.

GodsSon
02-07-2012, 05:05 PM

Rooks

Kyrie Irving
Ricky Rubio
Marshon Brooks
Kemba Walker
Brandon Knight
Norris Cole
Kawhi Leonard
Enes Kanter
Nik Vucevic

Sophomores

Greg Monroe
John Wall
Demarcus Cousins
Evan Turner
Paul George
Derrick Favors
Patrick Patterson
Tiago Splitter

That's just off the top of my head, I apologize for any glaring omissions. Good thing they're gonna mix the teams, because it's essentially guards vs. bigs otherwise.

Though he hasn't been great this season, Ed Davis has a case over both of them; especially Patterson.

Sota4Ever
02-07-2012, 05:05 PM
Ricky rubio number 1 pick

MickeyMgl
02-07-2012, 05:11 PM
Link (http://www.insidehoops.com/rookie-challenge.shtml)

So they're adopting the NHL format of the All-Star fantasy draft. I'm guessing it's only a matter of time before they do the same for the regular All-Star game voting.

For a while, I've been advocating they do something like this with THE All-Star Game. First select who the All-Stars are, based on merit, then pick a couple of lucky fans to draft their teams, streetball style.

Slimsim
02-07-2012, 05:14 PM

Rooks

Kyrie Irving
Ricky Rubio
Marshon Brooks
Kemba Walker
Brandon Knight
Norris Cole
Kawhi Leonard
Enes Kanter
Nik Vucevic

Sophomores

Greg Monroe
John Wall
Demarcus Cousins
Evan Turner
Paul George
Derrick Favors
Patrick Patterson
Tiago Splitter

Fields And shump

John Walls Era
02-07-2012, 05:15 PM
Draft Paul George first.

Shaq will probably pick Splitter first or something.

Gators123
02-07-2012, 05:16 PM
Jonas Jerebko should make the sophomore team. He didn't play at all last season so hes technically still a sophomore.

Raph12
02-07-2012, 05:17 PM
Interesting.

mgsports
02-07-2012, 05:19 PM
Hopefully theirs no Rules in place to how many Centers you have to Draft or when a Postion has to be off the board. I will be watching it and the Captain's should be a Rookie and Sophomore.
It would be good if they did for the All-Star Game and MLB one and for the Pro Bowl.