PDA

View Full Version : Another Blown Call by an NBA Referee.

goblazers7
02-07-2012, 03:18 AM
Here's the video of the " Goal tending".
But before you watch make sure you see Kevin Durant's face at 0:41.

VIDEO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fTppJTGf_Oo)

Seriously how could he make that call from all the way on the three point line!
:mad::mad::mad::mad:

And YEAH the Blazers ended up losing a few minutes later.

The crowd tells it all.

sunsfan88
02-07-2012, 03:23 AM
Durant has been getting favorable calls since his 2nd year in the league.

Other teams have to be used to this by now. I havent seen an OKC game in which Durant hasnt gone to the FT at least 10 times.

He's usually very good at drawing contact so they often just give him the benefit of the doubt.

I wish they reviewed this play and reversed the calling.

Monta is beast
02-07-2012, 03:42 AM
It's close but the whistle is late. And I feel your pain. The referee's have cost the Warriors two games this season.

bklynny67
02-07-2012, 03:44 AM
um.... so does anyone else think the ball may have hit the backboard first? cuz i think it did.

actually, at :53 it really does look like the ball hits the backboard RIGHT before its blocked, therefore it is goaltending.

bholly
02-07-2012, 03:48 AM
That's a seriously tough call with the naked eye, though. With all the really obvious game changing mistakes they make, it's hard to get too upset at them for this one. You could maybe argue they should make that reviewable, though. Maybe by coach's challenge or something.

I havent seen an OKC game in which Durant hasnt gone to the FT at least 10 times.

So what you're saying is you don't watch him play that often?

He only went to the line once tonight, and has only been 10+ times in 5 games this season. He only averages 7.5 trips.

bholly
02-07-2012, 03:49 AM
um.... so does anyone else think the ball may have hit the backboard first? cuz i think it did.

actually, at :53 it really does look like the ball hits the backboard RIGHT before its blocked, therefore it is goaltending.

Went back and forward over it for ages and it's clooose. I think the angle at 0:45 at regular speed makes it look like a block, but I'm still going to go find HD video and look closer.

Gibby
02-07-2012, 03:58 AM
its a close call. it seemed the ball only changed direction once when LA blocked it. if there was two changes of direction (first changes direction after hitting the backboard and then the shot block) then its goaltending.

lavilevi23
02-07-2012, 03:58 AM
Disgusting

Raph12
02-07-2012, 04:03 AM
Blown call by the officials, potentially cost the Blazers the game... With that being said, it would be hard to tell without looking at replay, I'd go with a no-call.

On to the next one.

bholly
02-07-2012, 04:05 AM
I went back and looked in HD and it's still too close to call. I just can't tell. The movement of the ball could maybe suggest block, so gun to my head I'd say that, but it's really really close.

I wouldn't say it's a 'blown call' - it certainly isn't a particularly egregious one.

Gibby
02-07-2012, 04:07 AM
I went back and looked in HD and it's still too close to call. I just can't tell. The movement of the ball could maybe suggest block, so gun to my head I'd say that, but it's really really close.

I wouldn't say it's a 'blown call' - it certainly isn't a particularly egregious one.

Agree with you on both points. The ball direction does suggest a block but i wouldn't also call it a blown call.

kalel
02-07-2012, 04:23 AM
horrible call, especially when you look at the blown up angle that espn provided (yes occasionally they are good for something). the thing that pisses me off most is not the fact that he called it from half court but called it from the other side of the rim, where as the guy with the best angle obviously did nothing.

Wade>You
02-07-2012, 05:46 AM
Easily a block, no dispute. And the NBA TV (Blazers) feed showed way better angles (no surprise the video shown by FS Thunder didn't provide the good angle and left it up for debate).

Towards the end, the ref in the video puts his head down as he walks away. Probably a guilty conscious.

YoungOne
02-07-2012, 06:35 AM
that was a big call, but I saw more obvious goaltending calls made wrong this season

king4day
02-07-2012, 08:27 AM
I said in the video comment field as well. It was a block but extremely close. The angle the ref was at may have made it difficult to see. That said, given where the ref was, he should have let that one go.
Should have been reviewed. If they can't review these thena rule change must be made.

--23--
02-07-2012, 09:04 AM
That was a good block, LA hit the ball to the backboard you could clearly see it here in slow motion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMgi4F4q-gs

The ref's should have reviewed it.

Rockice_8
02-07-2012, 09:24 AM
If you can't tell for sure then let the play go. So many times will refs assume stuff when they don't know. Let them play, the less whistles the better.

Basketball is one of the hardest games to ref but you got to let that one go. The power of the superstar, that's your NBA. All they do now is review stuff, and they don't review that one? On such a game changing play it should have been reviewed.

ChitownSports16
02-07-2012, 09:53 AM
Who ever is saying that was a close call needs a eye check! This was beyond horrible! This bad call made a team lose the game. The fact that the ref that called this is closer to half court and makes a call like this is ********. Imo This years refs have been the worst I've seen an a while. Smh

RowBTrice
02-07-2012, 10:14 AM
Worst refs in professional sports

iliketurtles24
02-07-2012, 10:22 AM
Hmmm, seems like refs are especially bad this season.

CHANGO
02-07-2012, 11:10 AM
Poor Blazers :sigh:

Bad Refs...

PacersForLife
02-07-2012, 12:29 PM
It's hard to tell from the angles it gives you, but the officiating has been horrible this year.

Baller1
02-07-2012, 12:37 PM
Watching the play live, it absolutely looked like goaltending... And that's why it was called.

jiggin
02-07-2012, 12:37 PM
why does the NBA not address this issue. That was clearly a good block. Unreal that the NBA turns a blind eye to this kind of stuff.

jiggin
02-07-2012, 12:39 PM
Watching the play live, it absolutely looked like goaltending... And that's why it was called.

I did as well and you are crazy or a thunder fan. The ball was still on the way up....even the replays on the tv showed it after it happened.

Kevin Durant and the Thunder Bench even were skeptical thus why there were all watching the replay on the jumbo above the floor.

You don't make that call, if its hard to tell 100% when it ties the game up with 4 seconds left. #1 rule in officiating is to not change the game with your calls. That changed the game 100% and was not goal tending.

If the blazers miss the playoffs or a seed spot in the playoffs because of a game, it will look really bad that an official altered the outcome of this game with a very very questionable (wrong) call to tie the game with 4 seconds left on the clock. Plus, look at how he does it, with flare. Its sickening.

You should at least look at it via replay...that's what its for right?

Baller1
02-07-2012, 12:46 PM
I did as well and you are crazy or a thunder fan. The ball was still on the way up....even the replays on the tv showed it after it happened.

Kevin Durant and the Thunder Bench even were skeptical thus why there were all watching the replay on the jumbo above the floor.

You don't make that call, if its hard to tell 100% when it ties the game up with 4 seconds left. #1 rule in officiating is to not change the game with your calls. That changed the game 100% and was not goal tending.

Who I was rooting for has nothing to do with what I see. During live play, it fully looked as if the ball hit the backboard first. The refs were forced to make a call that would upset either side no matter what, and it just so happened the Thunder lucked out.

I do agree it should be a reviewable play though. Not sure why it isn't.

(Not sure why everyone wants to complain about the goaltending call without acknowledging the fact that Aldridge was holding KD the entire way to the basket, thus leading to Durant getting minimal height on his jump at the rim; KD shot one free throw all night despite Batum getting to do whatever he wanted all night... Batum was flopping and *****ing all night, and got every call, and so I have no sympathy for Portland about the reffing in this game).

kalel
02-07-2012, 12:58 PM

get glasses, and about the so called holding, he didn't put his arm on him until he was below the free throw line which is legal.

nyyfan4life
02-07-2012, 01:01 PM
Who I was rooting for has nothing to do with what I see. During live play, it fully looked as if the ball hit the backboard first. The refs were forced to make a call that would upset either side no matter what, and it just so happened the Thunder lucked out.

I do agree it should be a reviewable play though. Not sure why it isn't.

(Not sure why everyone wants to complain about the goaltending call without acknowledging the fact that Aldridge was holding KD the entire way to the basket, thus leading to Durant getting minimal height on his jump at the rim; KD shot one free throw all night despite Batum getting to do whatever he wanted all night... Batum was flopping and *****ing all night, and got every call, and so I have no sympathy for Portland about the reffing in this game).

Yes it does.

Baller1
02-07-2012, 01:07 PM
I'm sure most of you that are *****ing were not even watching the game live last night. In real time, it was a bang-bang play that could have gone either way and looked like goaltending. The refs weren't watching the game in slow motion like you geniuses were.

Whatever, I'm not gonna argue about this. Best record in the league, all that matters.

jiggin
02-07-2012, 01:12 PM
Whatever, I'm not gonna argue about this. Best record in the league, all that matters.

should have an * next to it. They lost that game last night if it were not for the officiating.

Thunder have added "grey" to their team colors now.

topdog
02-07-2012, 01:15 PM

Without watching it about 20 times, this^. It does look like Durant got glass just before LMA got the block.

ChicagoRox
02-07-2012, 01:26 PM
Refs are human and blown calls are just part of all sports. My teams have been burnt by some bad calls too. But if you dwell on it, you're just going to end up driving yourself crazy. It's unfair but that's just life.

bulldog312
02-07-2012, 01:32 PM
As someone who is rooting for the Thunder to lose I thought it was goal tending. With that video its not really very clear, but it looks to me like the ball hits the backboard first.

I also disagree with "letting it go" if it isn't obvious. It's just as wrong to not call it goal tending if it is. The officials should call what they see, even if they aren't 100%. I think it is ridiculous to get mad at this official no matter which way he calls that play, because its impossible to make that call in real speed. I can't do it for sure in slow motion. And remember, the officials aren't specifically looking for the goal tend either, they are concentrating more on whether its a foul or not.

Baller1
02-07-2012, 01:58 PM
Even the Blazers announcers initially thought it hit backboard first.

nickdymez
02-07-2012, 02:03 PM
That's a seriously tough call with the naked eye, though. With all the really obvious game changing mistakes they make, it's hard to get too upset at them for this one. You could maybe argue they should make that reviewable, though. Maybe by coach's challenge or something.

So what you're saying is you don't watch him play that often?

He only went to the line once tonight, and has only been 10+ times in 5 games this season. He only averages 7.5 trips.

He's probably talking about previous years when he led the league in FTA.

knicksfan42
02-07-2012, 03:05 PM
Expect this against the Heat, Thunder, and Bulls.

bulldog312
02-07-2012, 04:20 PM
Expect this against the Heat, Thunder, and Bulls.

Kind of funny coming from a Knicks fan. Knicks opponents have been called for more fouls than either of these teams listed above.

devilsheat25
02-07-2012, 05:05 PM
nba just said it was the wrong call.

Carey
02-07-2012, 05:26 PM
Horrible call, Thunder deserved to and should have lost the game

MagicHero3
02-07-2012, 06:04 PM
too close to call- if they had "challenges" of if they review it, i think it would have been too close to overturn the call.

jiggin
02-07-2012, 06:23 PM
Nba came out today admitted it was a blown call it was not goaltending

Lot a good it does now thunder still win the game in overtime... with a blown call being the reason it went overtime

jiggin
02-07-2012, 06:40 PM
too close to call- if they had "challenges" of if they review it, i think it would have been too close to overturn the call.

Aldridge and Nate both asked for it to be reviewed, but it was ignored. They only review when they want to...

NateyB24
02-07-2012, 07:44 PM

Sorry that was a clean block never touched the hoop.