PDA

View Full Version : Kobe Bryant Refuses to Leave the Lakers; Won't Chase his 6th

shep33
02-07-2012, 02:38 AM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7549427

You might have to scroll to see the video, it's a convo with Stephen A. Smith after the game.

Just some notes:
-he refuses to leave the Lakers saying that if he ever did it would've been in 2007.
-says he will not play if he's "hanging around" averaging 18-19 ppg
-says some nice things about Shaq
-when asked about if he and Shaq were the best tandem, he said no, Pip and MJ were better

Pretty good interview with Stephen A. Smith

I think we have to enjoy guys like Kobe, Timmy, Pierce, Dirk while they're still around

JJ_JKidd
02-07-2012, 02:46 AM

You might have to scroll to see the video, it's a convo with Stephen A. Smith after the game.

Just some notes:
-he refuses to leave the Lakers saying that if he ever did it would've been in 2007.
-when asked about if he and Shaq were the best tandem, he said no, Pip and MJ were better

I think we have to enjoy guys like Kobe, Timmy, Pierce, Dirk while they're still around

Yeah :clap:

John Walls Era
02-07-2012, 02:50 AM
"says he will not play if he's "hanging around" averaging 18-19 ppg"

I like watching Kobe (or at least back then), but he can easily avg 18+ till hes 40 if he doesn't need to be efficient.

wjmoffatt
02-07-2012, 02:57 AM
Please be sooner than later! We need the cap space Kobe!

MTar786
02-07-2012, 03:00 AM
he said that pippen and jordan were better chemistry wise and that him and shaq were more explosive. But it wouldnt work because there are two alpha males. And that it would be like pairing up wilt and MJ.. wouldnt work for too long.

DaVille
02-07-2012, 03:01 AM
Chuck chuck chuck 24shots a game lol. Kobe will never get it.

To Kobe it's ALL about the points. Tonight is perfect example why Kobe is ball hog.

MTar786
02-07-2012, 03:01 AM
Please be sooner than later! We need the cap space Kobe!

when his contract ends if the lakers havent won their 6th then i see him signing a 1 year contract at the mle or vet min with the lakers for 1 last try at 6.

LA_Raiders
02-07-2012, 03:09 AM
Kobe is something else, I hope we can get DWill next year...

shep33
02-07-2012, 03:09 AM

To Kobe it's ALL about the points. Tonight is perfect example why Kobe is ball hog.

I disagree

shep33
02-07-2012, 03:10 AM

haha probably no chance. But I'm happy that he won't be leaving. What else can you ask for, he'll try and get his sixth, if it doesn't work out, it just doesn't work out. Great to hear that he's staying though and willing to see it through

lakersfan01
02-07-2012, 03:28 AM

Yep. I call him Brett Bryant. Kobe and Brett Favre are the same. I am a huge Packers fan just as much as I am a Lakers fan, and the franchise goes on after the selfish super star. Rodgers > Favre. Bynum will take this franchise into the future long after Kobe is gone. Kobe might get amnestied after this season. $28 million next year :laugh:

Gilbert Arenas can score 25-30 ppg a game if he gets 25 shots like Kobe. Kobe has no leash, he's out of control.

Just look at the Nuggets, they got better after trading Melo and Knicks are worse. Selfish chuckers.

Gibby
02-07-2012, 03:47 AM
Kobe's competitiveness made him great but that may hurt him during the end of his career.

Raph12
02-07-2012, 04:04 AM
8 for 12 and then 2 for 14... He just doesn't get it.

MickeyMgl
02-07-2012, 04:23 AM

OK, you must've not watched, so let me fill you in. He was very efficient in the first half, making 8 of his first 12 shots. The Sixers doubled him aggressively in the second half and he passed out of those double teams. He managed to get six assists, but the team struggled to score and fell behind. In the 4th quarter, the announcers even acknowledged that he was going to have to try to generate some offense. Only then did he force up shots that torpedoed his percentage.

He "gets it". He's "gotten it" to the tune of five championships. Anyway, you clearly didn't have a clue (about tonight's game at least), so I thought I'd help.

shep33
02-07-2012, 04:23 AM

It's funny how everyone also overlooks how Pau goes 5-14 and how the Lakers bench gets outscored by 33. Or even how the Lakers pg's put up 13 points and 5 dimes to the Sixer pg's who put up 37 and 10 dimes.

Kobe was horrible down the stretch, but I think a lot of that had to do with Iggy's great defense in the 2nd half.

Watch the game maybe next time, and provide some insight into how the team as a whole performed rather than view box scores and completely neglect the other facets of the game. If your bench and pgs get outplayed that bad, you've got no chance.

MickeyMgl
02-07-2012, 04:26 AM
when his contract ends if the lakers havent won their 6th then i see him signing a 1 year contract at the mle or vet min with the lakers for 1 last try at 6.

He'll never have to play for the MLE or vet min with the Lakers. He may take a pay cut because of the stricter luxury tax rules, but he makes the Lakers way too much money to have to do anything as drastic as sign for MLE.

sp1derm00
02-07-2012, 04:32 AM
It's funny how everyone also overlooks how Pau goes 5-14 and how the Lakers bench gets outscored by 33. Or even how the Lakers pg's put up 13 points and 5 dimes to the Sixer pg's who put up 37 and 10 dimes.

Kobe was horrible down the stretch, but I think a lot of that had to do with Iggy's great defense in the 2nd half.

Watch the game maybe next time, and provide some insight into how the team as a whole performed rather than view box scores and completely neglect the other facets of the game. If your bench and pgs get outplayed that bad, you've got no chance.

nope, kobe was in distribute mode for most of the 3rd quarter because philly kept sending doubles at him.

then, the lakers stopped making shots and kobe tried to get himself going again and it didn't work. i dont even think he took his first shot in the 3rd quarter until about the 6 minute mark.

MickeyMgl
02-07-2012, 04:33 AM
Yep. I call him Brett Bryant. Kobe and Brett Favre are the same. I am a huge Packers fan just as much as I am a Lakers fan, and the franchise goes on after the selfish super star. Rodgers > Favre. Bynum will take this franchise into the future long after Kobe is gone. Kobe might get amnestied after this season. $28 million next year :laugh:

Gilbert Arenas can score 25-30 ppg a game if he gets 25 shots like Kobe. Kobe has no leash, he's out of control.

Just look at the Nuggets, they got better after trading Melo and Knicks are worse. Selfish chuckers.

:(
If only that mean old Kobe would go away so that Andrew Bynum could finally flourish and average 40 points and 20 rebounds, thereby reaching his full dominating potential.

Bruno
02-07-2012, 04:38 AM
I disagree

x2.
he's been rackin' five assists per game for 16 years,

he's still thousands of FGA's behind Jordan, Havlicek, Chamberlain, and Hayes despite playing in some cases, years longer than some of the aforementioned. kobes will never pass KAJ or Mailman in total FGA either. He's still 6,000 FGA behind KAJ.

cool footage shep.

naps
02-07-2012, 05:01 AM
Good talk from a great player. I wish Kobe would be more respected. If only kobephiles knew how not to overrate him every chance they get. Respect to Kobe for being a terrific player for so long.

LegendX
02-07-2012, 09:57 AM
OK, you must've not watched, so let me fill you in. He was very efficient in the first half, making 8 of his first 12 shots. The Sixers doubled him aggressively in the second half and he passed out of those double teams. He managed to get six assists, but the team struggled to score and fell behind. In the 4th quarter, the announcers even acknowledged that he was going to have to try to generate some offense. Only then did he force up shots that torpedoed his percentage.

He "gets it". He's "gotten it" to the tune of five championships. Anyway, you clearly didn't have a clue (about tonight's game at least), so I thought I'd help.

This says it all to those that believe "he doesn't get it"

BigBongTheory
02-07-2012, 10:03 AM

Laker fan LOL. yeah right

Cal827
02-07-2012, 10:06 AM

...and that's about the point where every Non-Laker fan on this site would just plain rage. lol

But those are great things to hear from a great player.

BigBongTheory
02-07-2012, 10:07 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztVMib1T4T4&feature=related

BKLYNpigeon
02-07-2012, 10:09 AM
say what you want about Kobe, I dont really care for him. you can just look at stats or how many girls he has banged. The guy won 5 Championship rings on the same team. Not many players have done that and very rare in todays NBA.

Heediot
02-07-2012, 10:17 AM
He'll be around only he'll be chucking 50 shots a game to score 25 in a few years. Thus justifying his existence in the NBA.

Law25
02-07-2012, 11:27 AM
Some get it...

Then theres those who hate and talk out their ***

He'll be around only he'll be chucking 50 shots a game to score 25 in a few years. Thus justifying his existence in the NBA.

Stop... Hatin is bad

Patman
02-07-2012, 11:38 AM
x2.
he's been rackin' five assists per game for 16 years,

he's still thousands of FGA's behind Jordan, Havlicek, Chamberlain, and Hayes despite playing in some cases, years longer than some of the aforementioned. kobes will never pass KAJ or Mailman in total FGA either. He's still 6,000 FGA behind KAJ.

cool footage shep.

So you wan't to dispute that Kobe shoots a lot?

player FGA/36min
chamberlain 22.5
MJ 21.5
Kobe 19.2
havlicek 18.8
hayes 18.6
Karim 17.7
Malone 17.2

The only players you named that shot more per minute then Kobe are MJ and Wilt, the 2 greatest ball hogs of all time.
Kobe shoots a lot he makes them at a good rate and yes he avarages 5 Assists per game, which is just a function of him getting double teamed often.
Kobe is a great player but at times he takes to many shots.

faridk89
02-07-2012, 01:26 PM
wow...people seriously need to get off of kobes dick

Avenged
02-07-2012, 01:29 PM

Yep. Iggy did a great job on him.. He should have gone to Bynum (he had a 20/20 game) as we he was impacting and leading on both sides of the court. What's done is done though.

As for the thread topic, it wouldn't really add to his legacy if he goes ring chasing for a 6th. It'll mean much more if he gets his 6 as a Laker.

nickdymez
02-07-2012, 01:36 PM

5 rings. Thats it. Talk about "Chucking" (Dumbest ****in PSD word yet) but the man has 5 rings "Chucking". Jordan was also a "Chucker", 6 for him. How many rings does any of your current teams have? If its not 5 in the last 12 years, maybe you should hope your GM signs a "Chucker". Then you can be cocky like us Lakers fans.

Crackadalic
02-07-2012, 01:40 PM
Kobe will always be a laker unless traded which isnt happening

DaVille
02-07-2012, 03:13 PM
5 rings. Thats it. Talk about "Chucking" (Dumbest ****in PSD word yet) but the man has 5 rings "Chucking". Jordan was also a "Chucker", 6 for him. How many rings does any of your current teams have? If its not 5 in the last 12 years, maybe you should hope your GM signs a "Chucker". Then you can be cocky like us Lakers fans.

Good for Kobe. I hope he gets 2 more so he can tie Robert Horry. It doesn't change the fact Kobe is a chucker.

Fisher also has 5. ShaQ has 4. Horry has 7. Bill Russell has 11. Tom Heinsohn has 8. Dennis Rodman has 5. Tim Duncan has 4. Steve Kerr has 4. John Havlicek has 8. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar has 6. Jordan has 6. Horace Grant has 4. Michael Cooper has 5.

BTW you had nothing to do with Kobe winning 5 or Lakers winning 16 championships. Like I had nothing to do with Celtics winning 17 championships.

valade16
02-07-2012, 03:30 PM
It's not so much that being a "chucker" is a bad thing, it's about the efficiency at which you score.

When Jordan took 27 shots a game, he did it on 48% FG. When Kobe took 27 shots he did it on 45% FG.

Jordan's career FG% with the bulls was 50%, Kobe's FG% is 45%, simply put: Jordan could take more shots because he was more efficient at it than Kobe.

Kobe is shooting 44% FG this year but is taking 4 more shots per game than the last few years, his most since 05-06 in fact.

That is not to take away from Kobe, he is one of the greatest players to ever play and he was and is amazing, but at this point he needs to realize that him shooting 24 times is not as beneficial to the team as when he was taking 24 shots 3 or 5 years ago...

A perfect example was Jordan on the Wizards, his first year back he shot 41% on 22 shots a game. He needed to take a backseat, but the problem with both Jordan and Kobe is they are so competative they can't take a backseat.

mttwlsn16
02-07-2012, 03:37 PM

bingo

Kucka
02-07-2012, 03:43 PM
Coming from a Celtics fan I respect how Kobe plays. He is going to take 25+ shots cause he belives he can make them and has the confidence to do so. I have seen to many games where the Celtics pass the ball in circles cause no one is willing to take the tough shot.

Hope Kobe stays around long enough for another Celtics Lakers finals...(hopeful thinking)

TornadoOfSouls
02-07-2012, 03:50 PM

Kobe doesn't belong in that group. The other three never *****ed and moaned about their teams like Kobe did in '06 - Going on a radio tour asking to be traded, throwing teammates under the bus("Ship his *** OUT").

3mikee_
02-07-2012, 03:57 PM
Kobe!!! I'm glad he's staying a laker.. hopefully he gets a 6th in the next couple of years.

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-07-2012, 03:59 PM
To all you little kids out there stating about Kobe being a chucker, well, as someone pointed out, being a chucker got him 5 rings.

Tell me how superstars like LeBron, Rose, Bosh, Dwight, DWill, Nash are all so "teammate oriented" and you guys rave about their efficiency and PER and WinShare% blah blah blah blah blah. HOw many championships do those guys have combined.

When did all of a sudden efficiency and PER and WinShares and all that equate to an NBA Championship? When did all of a sudden Sekou's NBA.com MVP Weekly Rankings equate to an NBA Championship? When did all of a sudden not being looked at a villain and being looked upon a good guy, being cute with his teammates and trying to please everyone equate to an NBA Championship? When did all of a sudden the fact that your best player "HAS" to shoot 50% from the field for that to equate to an NBA Championship?

Nope, Jordan and Kobe both were/are *******s and chuckers and it got them multiple rings.

Heediot
02-07-2012, 04:07 PM
To all you little kids out there stating about Kobe being a chucker, well, as someone pointed out, being a chucker got him 5 rings.

Tell me how superstars like LeBron, Rose, Bosh, Dwight, DWill, Nash are all so "teammate oriented" and you guys rave about their efficiency and PER and WinShare% blah blah blah blah blah. HOw many championships do those guys have combined.

When did all of a sudden efficiency and PER and WinShares and all that equate to an NBA Championship? When did all of a sudden Sekou's NBA.com MVP Weekly Rankings equate to an NBA Championship? When did all of a sudden not being looked at a villain and being looked upon a good guy, being cute with his teammates and trying to please everyone equate to an NBA Championship? When did all of a sudden the fact that your best player "HAS" to shoot 50% from the field for that to equate to an NBA Championship?

Nope, Jordan and Kobe both were/are *******s and chuckers and it got them multiple rings.

Because Kobe stans do not give enough credit to his teammates. When Kobe has trust in his teammates his team is more successful, when he doesn't the record speaks for itself.

smith&wesson
02-07-2012, 04:10 PM
it makes sence for kobe to be a laker lifer.

but it might not be a good thing for the lakers considering how much money he is making. they still have a chance at winning though and that all that matters.

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-07-2012, 04:12 PM
Because Kobe stans do not give enough credit to his teammates. When Kobe has trust in his teammates his team is more successful, when he doesn't the record speaks for itself.

Yes, but you also need to know when to turn it up individually and become an ******* on the court. MJ was the perfect to know when to do that. Kobe still slips up in that department at times, but he's probably 2nd behind MJ in that department and by far the best among active players.

All the haters out there (and this is not directed at you Heediot) that call Kobe a chucker...wait till the guy retires and you have to watch all these other "superstars" like LeBron ramming into guys at full speed trying to get foul calls, or, as JVG said in that Heat vs Bulls ABC Sunday game, watching LeBron, Rose and Wade and a few others superstars (like KD and any other perimeter player) flopping and bobbing their head back to get a foul call. Yeah, enjoy that brand of NBA basketball for the next 15 yrs with grown men flopping and bobbing their head and ramming into guys after Mr. Bryant retires!

Evolution23
02-07-2012, 04:14 PM
I <3 Kobe Bryant and want to have sex with him!

Evolution23
02-07-2012, 04:15 PM
Get 6th ring or die trying.

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-07-2012, 04:15 PM
I <3 Kobe Bryant and want to have sex with him!

And then demand compensation from him...You're welcome. ;)

LakersSaintsLSU
02-07-2012, 04:17 PM

:D:clap::):D:clap:

Raph12
02-07-2012, 05:31 PM

Nobody said Pau or the bench had a good game, but Pau isn't the one saying he won't stick around if he's only scoring 18-20ppg... Kobe doesn't get it, it doesn't matter how much you score, anyone can score any amount with the right amount of touches.

Iggy played fantastic defense, arguably the DPOY this season, so why did Kobe choose to continue going at that matchup when Bynum was going up against Hawes and the rookie Vucevic? Why wasn't Bynum getting 20+shots?

I watched the game, considering they lost by 5pts with Kobe taking 12 shots in the second half (making just 2), instead of going to Bynum in the post more means you have to blame Kobe.

Yep. Iggy did a great job on him.. He should have gone to Bynum (he had a 20/20 game) as we he was impacting and leading on both sides of the court. What's done is done though.

As for the thread topic, it wouldn't really add to his legacy if he goes ring chasing for a 6th. It'll mean much more if he gets his 6 as a Laker.

Agreed.

Thanks for the logical, non-emotional response.

MickeyMgl
02-07-2012, 05:43 PM

player FGA/36min
chamberlain 22.5
MJ 21.5
Kobe 19.2
havlicek 18.8
hayes 18.6
Karim 17.7
Malone 17.2

The only players you named that shot more per minute then Kobe are MJ and Wilt, the 2 greatest ball hogs of all time.
Kobe shoots a lot he makes them at a good rate and yes he avarages 5 Assists per game, which is just a function of him getting double teamed often.
Kobe is a great player but at times he takes to many shots.

This is actually a reasonable, measured statement. The question then becomes "which are those times", and the answer is not as simple as looking at a stat sheet. I'll grant you that I have seen a few games where he appeared to be trying to keep a scoring streak going and had no conscience, but more often than not when he as been criticized as a "ball hog", there were actually game-situational explanations for a high FGA total.

JordansBulls
02-07-2012, 06:18 PM

Did you forget how good a defender Iggy is? Dude put the clamps on the 2nd half.

Raph12
02-07-2012, 06:31 PM
Did you forget how good a defender Iggy is? Dude put the clamps on the 2nd half.

You don't get it either, the point is that anyone can score taking "x" amount of shots... As for the game, Kobe should've gone to Bynum more.

UPRock
02-07-2012, 06:50 PM
Of course Iggy played good defense on him, so why shoot when you can pass the ball to your big man who's playing great, Bynum could've easily have a 30/20 game.

Sota4Ever
02-07-2012, 07:33 PM
How many of you actually watched the full game? I don't understand why people just look at stats and don't watch the games.

kgformvp21
02-07-2012, 07:48 PM

Dude...Dwill hasnt done much in minnesota. You can say he hasnt played much, but even when he has he is so raw...and right now at the games he just has horrible body language....not giving up on him, just saying he might not be all that you thought he was..but hopefully he is

Sota4Ever
02-07-2012, 07:52 PM
Haha he was talking about Deron.

kgformvp21
02-07-2012, 07:55 PM
Haha he was talking about Deron.

hahaha wow....im an idiot....sorry

MickeyMgl
02-07-2012, 08:06 PM

Iggy alone was getting torched. Aggressive double teams took Kobe out of the game and forced other Lakers to score.

MickeyMgl
02-07-2012, 08:07 PM
You don't get it either, the point is that anyone can score taking "x" amount of shots... As for the game, Kobe should've gone to Bynum more.

There's only so many times you can lob it toward the basket successfully.

aman_13
02-07-2012, 08:28 PM
Kobe is ineffecient but he gets the job done and you can't hate on that. He is a winner.

aman_13
02-07-2012, 08:33 PM

Jordan was effecient though. I still can't believe Kobe did not have a season shooting at least 50% from the field.

Sactown
02-07-2012, 09:25 PM
If the 5 rings fit, the Kobe hate must quit!!

evadatam5150
02-07-2012, 09:37 PM

Just some notes:

How dare you put Pierce in the same sentence or category as Kobe.. Shameful.. :speechless:

Bruno
02-07-2012, 09:50 PM

no, i don't.

nickdymez
02-08-2012, 01:24 AM
Good for Kobe. I hope he gets 2 more so he can tie Robert Horry. It doesn't change the fact Kobe is a chucker.

Fisher also has 5. ShaQ has 4. Horry has 7. Bill Russell has 11. Tom Heinsohn has 8. Dennis Rodman has 5. Tim Duncan has 4. Steve Kerr has 4. John Havlicek has 8. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar has 6. Jordan has 6. Horace Grant has 4. Michael Cooper has 5.

BTW you had nothing to do with Kobe winning 5 or Lakers winning 16 championships. Like I had nothing to do with Celtics winning 17 championships.

Who gives a **** about any of this. 5 rings buddy. deal with it. Yes lakers fans are annoying. You know why? Because all you less fortunate franchises hate us. So we fight your hate with winning. And dont talk about the Celtics, they have 1 ring in 20 years. 5 for Kobe though as A NUMBER 1 OR 2 OPTION ON HIS TEAM. Horry wasn't, fisher isnt, rodman wasn't, kerr wasn't. That stupid *** "Horry" argument is what people use to hate kobe's accomplishments.

Lim
02-08-2012, 01:24 AM
funny part is kobe doesn't realize that he could easily have 6-8 rings right now if he wasn't a egotistical maniac chucker.

jiggin
02-08-2012, 01:28 AM
this is the way it should be...this is the way it use to be in the NBA.

A great player stays and draws other players to him and his franchise. They don't jump ship to try and find other star players to hook up with to try and win more and more rings.

Jumping ship to try and find other players to team with to win rings is sad...and shows you can't do it on your own, you aren't a "franchise player". Good for kobe, taking a stand the ol' school way like it should be.

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-08-2012, 02:36 AM
funny part is kobe doesn't realize that he could easily have 6-8 rings right now if he wasn't a egotistical maniac chucker.

Funny part is that Kobe Bryant stood true to his promise...that he was going to rip the hearts of the 76ers in the 2001 NBA Finals.

jam
02-08-2012, 03:11 AM
It was Shaq's doing more than Kobe's in that particular period. Kobe was and is, the greatest 2nd player of all time.

We can talk hypotheticals about what could have been had Shaq not been traded. But Phil Jackson flatly stated that Shaq had lost a great deal of athleticism by the time of his last finals appearance with the Lakers.

Buss was also adamant that Shaq not be paid $35 mil annually when he was clearly in decline. Whatever the merits of the Shaq trade, it was clearly not of Kobe's doing.

ghettosean
02-08-2012, 03:12 AM

Well he does have 2 finals MVP's also so I doubt he's just a simple chucker like he is being made out to be. If your the teams most valuable player in the finals it's basically saying you are the reason they won the title.

Lets not compare him to Fisher, Horry and Rodman... All different players with much different roles.

Tai_chi_bbc
02-08-2012, 03:25 AM
well to talk about the actual thread topic now, i love that he made this statement and commend him for it if he stays true which i believe he will. He may be one of the last great players to do so in a very long time along with Dirk, Duncan, Pierce and maybe Wade. Its possible that Rose and Durant will but their careers are too young to tell

Lim
02-08-2012, 05:54 AM
Funny part is that Kobe Bryant stood true to his promise...that he was going to rip the hearts of the 76ers in the 2001 NBA Finals.

way to assume that because im a 76ers fan that i hate kobe. i actually like kobe. doesn't change the fact that he is a egotistical maniacal chucker that could be sitting on 6-8 rings right now if it wasn't for his own wrong doings

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-08-2012, 06:19 AM
way to assume that because im a 76ers fan that i hate kobe. i actually like kobe. doesn't change the fact that he is a egotistical maniacal chucker that could be sitting on 6-8 rings right now if it wasn't for his own wrong doings

It's true that Shaq and Kobe could have very well won that many rings. So yes, from that perspective, us Lakers fans became deprived of a few more titles, and we would probably right now be ahead of Boston.

But in life, us fans cannot be so selfish to not let a man who's put in the work to have his own individual glory and do things his own way. Kobe Bryant, if anyone knows him, thrives on accepting challenges, and while they were still playing, Shaq said that Kobe was just another Penny Hardaway and that if he left, Kobe wouldn't win without him. Kobe took on the challenge, and won 2 NBA titles. The man is going for his 3rd ring without Shaq this season. Kobe did not want to be known as just a successful champion version of Penny Hardaway.

He has become the greatest player to make the transition from a #2 (1b) guy to a #1 guy. If Shaq never left, he wouldn't know for himself if he would be able to do that, and us fans would be wondering years down the line if Kobe was good enough to be the man and win multiple championships.

jam
02-08-2012, 06:39 AM

This is a bizarre rant. Kobe engaged in many "wrongdoings" but none which affected the Lakers' ability to win titles. Buss was unwilling to pony up for a long term extension for Shaq; not when he came into each season weighing close to 400 lbs, playing 2/3 of a season at most, declining in ability and demanding $35 mil+. Kobe can't be blamed for calling Shaq "fat." He was fat.

Kobe was and is, a selfish gunner, but was brilliant in his first three title runs. He resorted to his selfish ways against Detroit in the finals, but by then, Shaq had diminished in skill to the point that he could only muster a great performance every other game.

As far as his rape charges, the Lakers were not very good at that point anyway.

Kobe, more than just about any other player, has extracted as much performance out of his body as any other elite NBA player in history.

The claim that Kobe "should" have 6-8 doesn't hold water.

MickeyMgl
02-08-2012, 09:30 AM
Jordan was effecient though. I still can't believe Kobe did not have a season shooting at least 50% from the field.

TS%
Jordan........ .569
Bryant........ .555

Even less difference when you subtract Jordan's seasons shooting from a short 3-point line.

Weezy
02-08-2012, 09:34 AM
This guy. I didn't expect Kobe in any other jersey anyways.... It would look to weird. Kobe has been a funny guy this season.

MickeyMgl
02-08-2012, 09:37 AM

Which are the "wrongdoings" that prevented him from more rings?

Kobe4Life
02-08-2012, 10:04 AM
Kobe will get his 6th shortly and the hate will still continue just something the Laker fans have gotten use to. No love for the Kobesystem.

nickdymez
02-08-2012, 11:22 AM

Dumb post. Kobe never lost championships for the Lakers. Kobe never shot us out of a series.

basketfan4life
02-08-2012, 01:26 PM
Nobody said Pau or the bench had a good game, but Pau isn't the one saying he won't stick around if he's only scoring 18-20ppg... Kobe doesn't get it, it doesn't matter how much you score, anyone can score any amount with the right amount of touches.

Okay, i respect your opinions a lot, but it seems very odd that you try to show kobe the right basketball mentality and like 10 times you say he doesn't get it... İt's not logical to me to sit on your couch and tell people someone who has god damn 5 championship rings doesn't get it about basketball. He gets it and he got the ultimate price 5 times...

İ'm not a basketball fan whose all arguments are rings when evaluating players, so please nobody come up with Horry has 7 rings. Kobe Bryant won it as 1b and clear number 1 as a player, mastered nearly all aspects of the game and all he said is he doesn't want to play as a 18-19 ppg scorer.That's his personel choice and he doesn't want to decline that much and still play...Shaq did it and it's ok, Kobe doesn't want to do it and it's ok too...So when you say Kobe doesn't get it, i'm like, you gotto be kidding me.

beliges
02-08-2012, 05:14 PM

Huh? You act like its even possible to get 8 rings in today's NBA. The dude has 5. That makes him the most dominant player of our generation and our era. That makes him one of 3 perimeter players in the modern NBA era to lead his team to at least 5 titles (MJ and Magic). Pretty sure that means him being an "egotistical maniac chucker" has worked pretty well as far as generating wins and championships for his team.

RaiderLakersA's
02-08-2012, 05:44 PM

Not likely. Hypothetical arguments are always a fail.

Gritz
02-08-2012, 06:05 PM
Kobes the truth

You're welcome.

Lim
02-08-2012, 06:55 PM
Huh? You act like its even possible to get 8 rings in today's NBA. The dude has 5. That makes him the most dominant player of our generation and our era. That makes him one of 3 perimeter players in the modern NBA era to lead his team to at least 5 titles (MJ and Magic). Pretty sure that means him being an "egotistical maniac chucker" has worked pretty well as far as generating wins and championships for his team.

and im saying it could have worked even BETTER if he wasn't so selfish. im not saying he hasn't been successful.

and to the other dude, if u really think kobe had nothing to do with shaq not caring and eventually being traded then i dunno what else to tell u, quit being a homer maybe?

3 rings in 8 years of play with 2 top 10 players of all time, they could have easily had 5 if they worked things out. 5+2 = 7. don't see what is so far fetched about that

aman_13
02-08-2012, 10:09 PM
TS%
Jordan........ .569
Bryant........ .555

Even less difference when you subtract Jordan's seasons shooting from a short 3-point line.

Ok yeah i take Kobe not being effecient back because when you account TS% and eFG%, Kobe is effecient. Although i think almost everyone will discount Jordan's last two years considering he was playing in his high 30s so no matter how you put it, Jordan was always more effecient.

Regardless how we look at stats, i don't have any Kobe hate. He's one of the greatest of all time and will always be remembered as a winner.

Raph12
02-09-2012, 01:31 AM
Okay, i respect your opinions a lot, but it seems very odd that you try to show kobe the right basketball mentality and like 10 times you say he doesn't get it... İt's not logical to me to sit on your couch and tell people someone who has god damn 5 championship rings doesn't get it about basketball. He gets it and he got the ultimate price 5 times...

Kobe also forced his way to the Lakers so he wouldn't play for a losing franchise like the Hornets. You can bet his legacy would look considerably different if he played his career out for the Hornets. He has played on some great teams, don't get me wrong, he's a great player, but if he played for a loser like the Sixers or Hornets, I'd love to see how he'd fare... I could guaran-damn-tee this though, he wouldn't touch 5 rings, not unless he demanded a trade, which knowing him, he would.

İ'm not a basketball fan whose all arguments are rings when evaluating players, so please nobody come up with Horry has 7 rings. Kobe Bryant won it as 1b and clear number 1 as a player, mastered nearly all aspects of the game and all he said is he doesn't want to play as a 18-19 ppg scorer.That's his personel choice and he doesn't want to decline that much and still play...Shaq did it and it's ok, Kobe doesn't want to do it and it's ok too...So when you say Kobe doesn't get it, i'm like, you gotto be kidding me.

He was the clear #2 in the finals/playoffs from 2000-2002, a very good #2, but easily #2... I don't want to take away from Kobe's accomplishments, but what he's saying is stupid, you could decline significantly and still score 25ppg with 25 shots per game.

What Kobe doesn't get, is that points is not the only stat that matters. You could be the best player on your team, with the largest impact, without being the leading scorer.

basketfan4life
02-09-2012, 05:11 AM
Kobe also forced his way to the Lakers so he wouldn't play for a losing franchise like the Hornets. You can bet his legacy would look considerably different if he played his career out for the Hornets. He has played on some great teams, don't get me wrong, he's a great player, but if he played for a loser like the Sixers or Hornets, I'd love to see how he'd fare... I could guaran-damn-tee this though, he wouldn't touch 5 rings, not unless he demanded a trade, which knowing him, he would.

Now are we starting to talk could of/would of ? okay from 00-02 maybe he couldn't win, but he wasted his best 3 years with scrubs, how can you be so sure he couldn't win with a good squad from 2003 to 2010, he was a top 3 player for a decade...if he wins 2 it still means he gets it, the point stands put.

He was the clear #2 in the finals/playoffs from 2000-2002, a very good #2, but easily #2... I don't want to take away from Kobe's accomplishments, but what he's saying is stupid, you could decline significantly and still score 25ppg with 25 shots per game.

clear number 2 /1b/1a/very good number two...Whatever word you wanna put it with, any team can't win when their second best player doesn't get it...what are you trying to prove? when i say he was 1b, that means i am accepting shaq was the better player.

What Kobe doesn't get, is that points is not the only stat that matters. You could be the best player on your team, with the largest impact, without being the leading scorer.

yeah i am sure Kobe thinks points is the one stat all that matters, he just defines himself as a scorer and when he scores 18-19 that is when he can't do great what he defines himself with...And he doesn't wanna play when that time comes...What's so hard to understand or respect here?

Actually, Kobe gets it perfectly, he knows how to win, i really try hard and still can't understand how can you claim the winningest player of the last decade doesn't get it. Again , please don't get me wrong, i'm not evaluating players with their amount of rings, all i say is if a guy has lead his team to 5 rings with being both number 1 and 2 options, he gets it god damn well.

jam
02-09-2012, 05:26 AM
Not with their current lineup.

Kobe will get his 6th shortly and the hate will still continue just something the Laker fans have gotten use to. No love for the Kobesystem.