PDA

View Full Version : Andre Iguodala: Kobe is 2nd GOAT behind MJ

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-06-2012, 02:09 AM
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/138756764.html

When asked after Saturday's 98-87 win in Atlanta whether Bryant brings extra electricity to the building, forward Andre Iguodala didn't hesitate.

"I think so," Iguodala said. "He's the best player in the game. Second-best player of all time, in my opinion."

No. 1?

"M.J., of course," Iguodala said, referring to Michael Jordan.

As with most players who have spent more than a decade and half in the league, Bryant has had to make adjustments.

"He has done a great job of getting the most out of his body," said Iguodala, who draws the defensive assignment against Bryant. "He doesn't have that great athletic ability that he used to have, and he's not as explosive as he used to be going to the basket, but he's mastered that mid-range game and he's still so dangerous in the post."

Raph12
02-06-2012, 02:13 AM
What's your point? We know NBA players are terrible when it comes to analyzing talent; look at MJ, Shaq, Magic, etc...

amos1er
02-06-2012, 02:14 AM
Iguodala sounds like a real smart guy. Its always funny when you hear non-bias opinions from non-Laker Haters, they always seem to come to the same consensus. Whats really funny is when you hear some of these haters say that Kobe is not in the top ten of all-time...that one is always good for a laugh.

amos1er
02-06-2012, 02:16 AM
What's your point? We know NBA players are terrible when it comes to analyzing talent; look at MJ, Shaq, Magic, etc...

Ya, but their opinions are usually non-bias. Unlike most of the forum trolls who are always conveniently Lebron fans.

Avenged
02-06-2012, 02:22 AM
Kobe has so much respect among players it's unreal.

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-06-2012, 02:22 AM
It's the fact that us PSD fans can argue about the NBA ranks to nauseaum, but when current or past NBA players who have played the actual game of basketball and competed against the likes of a Michael Jordan or a Kobe Bryant or any other greats or who have grown up studying the game etc. etc.

At the end of the day, NBA players opinions weight a lot.

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-06-2012, 02:23 AM

Best...sig.....ever!

beliges
02-06-2012, 02:25 AM

LOL. Believe me, when the majority of the players, coaches, owners and GMs all share the same beliefs about a certain player, that holds much more credibility than what you or me have to say.

SportsFanatic10
02-06-2012, 02:28 AM
hes great...but thats just not true.

Cal827
02-06-2012, 02:30 AM

:laugh: that Sig!

Also to the point, Iggy isn't as far off as some others. I'm not sure if he's the 2nd best of all time (I got him a little lower) but definitely the #2 SG ever. I still remember Jordan saying he's "likely a top 10 guard". At least we won't see him drafting players anytime soon, eh guys? oh wait...

Bulls_fan90
02-06-2012, 02:32 AM
Best SG in the game.

C-Style
02-06-2012, 02:34 AM
Not 2nd all-time unless he wins 2 more F-MVP's then it will be hard to argue against Iggy

naps
02-06-2012, 02:38 AM
So just because Iggy said it now he's the 2nd best all time. MJ thought Adam Morrison and Kwame Brown would be superstars as well. We all know how that turned out. So just because a player made his opinion doesn't make it any different. I can pull up handful of resumes that are better than Kobe's.

lakers4sho
02-06-2012, 02:39 AM
everyone is entitled to their own opinions

knightstemplar
02-06-2012, 02:48 AM
No no no
His opinion doesn't count, only posters on the internet do, they are far more intelligent than players, coaches, and GMs.
Kobe is not top 10 alltime and never was the best player in the league.

lol

Supreme LA
02-06-2012, 02:49 AM

You're absolutely right! Just because current and past players and legends, GM's, scouts, and coaches say it, it must not be true. We should all value your opinion over theirs because you've played ZERO NBA games in your lifetime but watched over a thousand??? :facepalm:

I always find it funny when a fan or an analyst who has never even played the game believes they are the experts.

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-06-2012, 02:53 AM
So just because Iggy said it now he's the 2nd best all time. MJ thought Adam Morrison and Kwame Brown would be superstars as well. We all know how that turned out. So just because a player made his opinion doesn't make it any different. I can pull up handful of resumes that are better than Kobe's.

My guess of those 5:

LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, Mario Chalmers, and wait for it...Juwan Howard?

rickshaw
02-06-2012, 02:58 AM
Nothing like a Kobe circlejerk

shep33
02-06-2012, 02:58 AM
I think he's top 10, and the 2nd best SG of all-time. Heck this year he is easily the best sg in the NBA

goalie
02-06-2012, 03:02 AM
I think Kobe fans get confused here. I think he's the best player in the NBA and best player of this era. But 2nd all time behind Jordan?

What are the qualifications? Points scored + titles and thats it?

I'm not going to even try to put a list together but: Magic, Bird, Kareem, Wilt, Russell?

If people are saying hes not top ten right now they are just plain stupid. But, its not crazy to say he isn't top ten all time. There have been a lot of great players in this league. Granted he's one of them but I'm not ready to call him #2.

When Jordan played, it was Wilt. When Jordan started winning it was "is he ahead of Wilt?" Now that Jordan is the clear #1, people have forgotten Wilt altogether?

There are a few debatable details to add to that as well. If Wilt didn't have to get past the greatest team of all-time, he'd have more titles and if Kobe didn't have Shaq the Lakers wouldn't have had that dynasty.

abe_froman
02-06-2012, 03:05 AM
thats nice but eh,not to me.to many others have cases over him.

....and to the kobe fans,no iggy's opinion really doesnt mean much,i dont really think he is a student of the history of the game and never went up against some others on the list(wilt,kaj,magic,ect.)which might make him change his mind

Raph12
02-06-2012, 03:09 AM
You're absolutely right! Just because current and past players and legends, GM's, scouts, and coaches say it, it must not be true. We should all value your opinion over theirs because you've played ZERO NBA games in your lifetime but watched over a thousand??? :facepalm:

I always find it funny when a fan or an analyst who has never even played the game believes they are the experts.

Better than dumbasses who think that what NBA players say is gospel... They aren't very bright individuals, that's a given; as for analyzing talent, for Iggy to think that Kobe's still the best player in the league proves my point.

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-06-2012, 03:15 AM
Better than dumbasses who think that what NBA players say is gospel... They aren't very bright individuals, that's a given; as for analyzing talent, for Iggy to think that Kobe's still the best player in the league proves my point.

Not saying it's the word of the gospel (no need to make religious references there man, at the end of the day, it's a sports forum).

All I'm saying is that there is a sense of knowing among NBA players that may be better than PSD posters' "sense of knowing". That's all.

It's nothing groundbreaking, I just thought I'd point this out since it's an everyday discussion on these forums and out in the public and in the barber shops etc. etc. of talking about the all-time greats in basketball history.

Raph12
02-06-2012, 03:20 AM
Not saying it's the word of the gospel (no need to make religious references there man, at the end of the day, it's a sports forum).

All I'm saying is that there is a sense of knowing among NBA players that may be better than PSD posters' "sense of knowing". That's all.

It's nothing groundbreaking, I just thought I'd point this out since it's an everyday discussion on these forums and out in the public and in the barber shops etc. etc. of talking about the all-time greats in basketball history.

One word; respect.

Players respect Kobe for what he has accomplished; he and TimmyD are the most accomplished players in the league. It's just like when no one wanted Iverson and yet Wade said he'd love to play with a "great player" like AI, who at the time was garbage.

I wasn't referring to your post, I was responding to the genius who was critisizing me for discredting the player who's opinion I said was irrelevant.

shep33
02-06-2012, 03:22 AM
I think Kobe fans get confused here. I think he's the best player in the NBA and best player of this era. But 2nd all time behind Jordan?

What are the qualifications? Points scored + titles and thats it?

I'm not going to even try to put a list together but: Magic, Bird, Kareem, Wilt, Russell?

If people are saying hes not top ten right now they are just plain stupid. But, its not crazy to say he isn't top ten all time. There have been a lot of great players in this league. Granted he's one of them but I'm not ready to call him #2.

When Jordan played, it was Wilt. When Jordan started winning it was "is he ahead of Wilt?" Now that Jordan is the clear #1, people have forgotten Wilt altogether?

There are a few debatable details to add to that as well. If Wilt didn't have to get past the greatest team of all-time, he'd have more titles and if Kobe didn't have Shaq the Lakers wouldn't have had that dynasty.

I agree with a lot of what you said up until here... People also seem to forget how stacked Bird's Celtics or Magic's Lakers were.

-Magic, Kareem, Worthy, Byron Scott, Jamaal Wilkes, Norm Nixon, McAdoo, Mike McGee
-Bird, Parish, McHale, Cedric Maxwell, Nate Archibald, Danny Ainge, Gerald Henderson, Dennis Johnson, Danny Ainge

I mean the "Kobe had Shaq argument" doesn't really work anymore. I mean Kobe in the 2001 playoffs averaged 29.4 ppg.. that's ridiculous. To put that in perspective, Kobe in the 2001 post season averaged 29.4, 7.2 rpg, 6.1 apg. Lebron last year averaged 23.7 ppg, 8.4 rpg, 5.9 apg while shooting a slightly lower clip than Kobe during his 2001 playoff stretch. LBJ is the best in the world now, no debating that, but Kobe back in the day did his work with Shaq.

abe_froman
02-06-2012, 03:23 AM

disagree with this abit.there are many that obsess over learning the history,reading the stats,ect. being voracious in knowing as much as possible.players.and athletes generally arent that knowledgeable people(they get paid cuz they can dunk,not to show off their brain power)..frankly they have better things to do than be on basketball reference and rereading things like book of basketball all day and night

kozelkid
02-06-2012, 03:31 AM
:yawn:

Raph12
02-06-2012, 03:32 AM
I'll put it this way, if my life depended on a playoffs series where I was allowed to select my own team, I wouldn't let any NBA player select the roster for me; now if my life depended on a physics question, you bet your *** I'd let Sir Isaac Newton or Albert Einstein give it a go... Professional basketball players are paid to play basketball, not analyze it.

Lidz
02-06-2012, 03:37 AM
Stupid *** post. Jordan PREDICTED Adam Morrison and Kwame to be good before they came in the league. Iggy is determining it after 16 years in the league.

Its always sissy *** Lebron fans who disagree. Wonder why no player respects Lebron like the do Kobe? Because they dont give a **** about advanced stats

I'm a Heat fan & I think Kobe is the best player in the league still and could very well retire as the best player to play the game.

MJ-BULLS
02-06-2012, 04:05 AM
high praise.

shep33
02-06-2012, 04:17 AM
As a Laker fan myself, I put Kobe in the top 10 range. The 2nd best SG ever though IMO.

Fun fact: Kobe is 24 points away from overtaking Shaq for 5th all-time in scoring

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-06-2012, 04:17 AM
I'll put it this way, if my life depended on a playoffs series where I was allowed to select my own team, I wouldn't let any NBA player select the roster for me; now if my life depended on a physics question, you bet your *** I'd let Sir Isaac Newton or Albert Einstein give it a go... Professional basketball players are paid to play basketball, not analyze it.

Nice post. I see your reasoning now.

Jenceman
02-06-2012, 04:22 AM
He's not there yet, but he's got a great shot at it. How many players have played at the level he is now with this much mileage on his body? He's without a doubt the second best shooting guard ever, without a doubt a top-ten player all time, and pretty close if not already in the top 5 all time.

My bet is he finishes second all time.

Greedy22
02-06-2012, 04:33 AM
Huge Kobe fan here...been following him since he came into the league and I don't think he's cracked the top 5 yet although I can see arguments for it, anywhere between 6-10 and thats an amazing accomplishment considering he's not done yet.

THE GIPPER
02-06-2012, 04:34 AM
He's not there yet, but he's got a great shot at it. How many players have played at the level he is now with this much mileage on his body? He's without a doubt the second best shooting guard ever, without a doubt a top-ten player all time, and pretty close if not already in the top 5 all time.

My bet is he finishes second all time.

What more do you think he will accomplish in his career?

Jenceman
02-06-2012, 04:39 AM
What more do you think he will accomplish in his career?

I mean I'm hoping for a couple more championships, both with him being the finals MVP for it to happen. Also finishing at #2 or #3 all time on the points leaderboard.

Kobe's longevity is what is really the most remarkable thing about him, even with all the records and accolades he holds. How he's still playing at this level 16 seasons in, along with what, a a season or twos worth of postseason games is just beyond me. Dude's a monster.

I don't care if he'll never be MJ, I'm just glad I got to witness his career.

ArmLaker
02-06-2012, 04:47 AM
I'm a Heat fan & I think Kobe is the best player in the league still and could very well retire as the best player to play the game.

Wow a Heat fan thinking that Kobe is still the best? there is hope for PSD after all:clap:

brodawgs
02-06-2012, 04:55 AM
He's worked the second hardest out of anyone ever to play the game. He's in the top 10 for greatest leaders of all time as well, but he is certainly not the second most skilled player to ever play, not even close.

It's a matter of opinion if your going to just say generalized words that literally don't mean anything like GOAT, Best, Number 1, etc... Those accolades will never apply to professional sports unless you get more specific. You have to ask questions like best shooter, best ball-handling, things like that. You cannot prove that one skill set is more important than the other, and if you don't take literally every single thing that comes into playing in the NBA into account when you just say GOAT, you're going to be wrong 100% of the time.

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-06-2012, 05:11 AM
Including this season, he's going to play 5 more seasons. Will be fun to see what he does until the end of the 2015-2016 season. And then, I see him retiring from the game of basketball in a team USA uniform (2016 Olympics, the final curtain call for Mr. Bryant).

LakersIn5
02-06-2012, 07:27 AM
so? who has a better opinion regarding who the best players are? iguodala or psd poster?

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-06-2012, 08:32 AM

sorry but this is laughable:laugh::laugh:

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-06-2012, 08:42 AM

Best wing defender, maybe even the best defensive player in the nba in Iggy, who's guarding guys like Kobe and Lebron is not good at analizing a certain player?

You gotta be kidding me:p

Law25
02-06-2012, 09:21 AM
Durant said it this summer
Rose said it said it this summer
Love said it a few games ago
Now Iguodala says it

PSD says hell no look at his advance stats, we know more than the stars he plays against lol. Barely top ten to some lol. Funny as hell

HouRealCoach
02-06-2012, 09:41 AM
Michael Jordan doesn't think he is the best...

But I would honestly would pick Shaq, Magic, Kareem, Hakeem, Duncan, & Bird all above him

ghettosean
02-06-2012, 09:54 AM
No diss to Kobe or Iggy but there is no way in hell he's better than Oscar Robinson, Wilt Chamberlin, Kareem etc... He's on the top 10 for GOAT but #2 get the **** outta here. Iggy is young and just talking but he might need a history lesson.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-06-2012, 10:18 AM
No diss to Kobe or Iggy but there is no way in hell he's better than Oscar Robinson, Wilt Chamberlin, Kareem etc... He's on the top 10 for GOAT but #2 get the **** outta here. Iggy is young and just talking but he might need a history lesson.

:confused:

NYKnicks4511
02-06-2012, 10:26 AM
2nd best 2 guard, definitely not the 2nd GOAT.

ne3xchamps
02-06-2012, 10:49 AM
who cares what AI thinks? don't know why there needs to be a thread about this, but whatever.

sixer04fan
02-06-2012, 10:55 AM
I have one question. Who cares? Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

He's just trying to show some respect to his next opponent. It's not like he randomly went out of his way to say that Kobe is the 2nd greatest player ever. The Sixers are playing the Lakers tonight, that's why this came up in the first place.

LakersMaster24
02-06-2012, 10:59 AM
Its not just what Iggy thinks...its what 90% of players and GMs think...Kobe is in my Top 5 honestly, only people I can see ahead of him are Jordan (duh) Kareem Magic (for now) and Wilt. I think Kobe is better than Bird. Even though Bird was a Celtic I still have crazy respect for him. Kobe cant be put lower than in a Top 7. The time has come ;)

ghettosean
02-06-2012, 11:06 AM
Its not just what Iggy thinks...its what 90% of players and GMs think...Kobe is in my Top 5 honestly, only people I can see ahead of him are Jordan (duh) Kareem Magic (for now) and Wilt. I think Kobe is better than Bird. Even though Bird was a Celtic I still have crazy respect for him. Kobe cant be put lower than in a Top 7. The time has come ;)
Agreed I said top 10 but I'll go down to top 7 either way he is one of the GOAT.

ghettosean
02-06-2012, 11:07 AM
:confused:
Meant Oscar Robertson but who cares if we agree on that or not he's definately not better than Wilt or Kareem I'm sure we can agree there.

Supreme LA
02-06-2012, 08:17 PM

I'm a dumbass because I take the word of current players, past legends, GM's, coaches, and scouts over yours?? Sure buddy.

And it's not analyzing talent when you're going head to head with guys that actually play the game. It's not like they're making projections as to how good Kobe will be. He has had a sixteen year career and many of these people you think you are so much smarter than, are actually players that played today and played against former legends of the game.

And what does having to be bright have to do with assessing your opponent? It's not like they being asked questions about atomic theory to assess their intelligence. You give the people no credit and yet you expect us to just accept your answer because what?? Because you sit in front of a computer all day looking up numbers and watching highlight?

The day Internet posters become more knowledgable about the game than players, coaches, GM's, and scouts is the day we you'll be running a team. :facepalm:

dh144498
02-06-2012, 08:33 PM
No no no
His opinion doesn't count, only posters on the internet do, they are far more intelligent than players, coaches, and GMs.
Kobe is not top 10 alltime and never was the best player in the league.

lol

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

dh144498
02-06-2012, 08:38 PM
Michael Jordan doesn't think he is the best...

But I would honestly would pick Shaq, Magic, Kareem, Hakeem, Duncan, & Bird all above him

no one in this post said Kobe is the best. :facepalm:

dh144498
02-06-2012, 08:40 PM

^This. Majority wins.

LA_Raiders
02-06-2012, 10:05 PM
Goat

DeathB4Dishonor
02-06-2012, 10:08 PM
Kobe is top 15 in my opinion, I will re-evaluate my opinion on him once he retires, he is arguably top 10, top 5 ehh probably will never be, but to say he is the "2nd GOAT" is clearly false

NYKalltheway
02-06-2012, 11:12 PM
Of course PRESENT players will be hyping him. That means if their opinion is strong enough to be perserved as fact, they'll also be considered among the best ever. Sorry Iggy, love you, but it won't happen.

As MJ said, Kobe is LIKELY to be considered as a top 10 guard. Not actually a bad thing. Just sums up Kobe's era, he was the greatest guard, yet still not great enough as the rest of them earlier. People just need to stop hyping players so much just because they brought them a few joys.

Raph12
02-07-2012, 12:38 AM
Nice post. I see your reasoning now.

"Nuff said" right?

Best wing defender, maybe even the best defensive player in the nba in Iggy, who's guarding guys like Kobe and Lebron is not good at analizing a certain player?

You gotta be kidding me:p

Nope, just because Kobe isos more and puts more pressure on Iggy, doesn't make him a better player; but of course Iggy isn't smart enough to realize that... Iggy isn't even taking the bigs into account, discrediting all of the all-time great big men. :pity:

I'm a dumbass because I take the word of current players, past legends, GM's, coaches, and scouts over yours?? Sure buddy.

I didn't say you specifically, I said people who treat a player's opinion as gospel, so if the shoe fits... I wasn't asking anyone to value my opinion over anyone else's, I just said that most players don't know **** about analyzing talent.

And it's not analyzing talent when you're going head to head with guys that actually play the game. It's not like they're making projections as to how good Kobe will be. He has had a sixteen year career and many of these people you think you are so much smarter than, are actually players that played today and played against former legends of the game.

Irrelevant.

For him to discredit what all other all-time great players have done by naming Kobe runner-up to being GOAT is just stupid on his part. He plays in the league, making his opinion biased and subjective, on top of that, he is a wing player, so he may be more inclined to wings vs bigs.

And what does having to be bright have to do with assessing your opponent? It's not like they being asked questions about atomic theory to assess their intelligence. You give the people no credit and yet you expect us to just accept your answer because what?? Because you sit in front of a computer all day looking up numbers and watching highlight?

I really don't care whether or not you "accept my answer", I said what I wanted to say, take it however you feel like taking it... Intelligence is important in breaking down statistics and going beyond just what they see in games or the W/L column; a lot of players look at things like that and just state their opinion.

For him to say what he said, only shows how poor his analytical skills are.

The day Internet posters become more knowledgable about the game than players, coaches, GM's, and scouts is the day we you'll be running a team. :facepalm:

Last I checked, Iggy isn't a coach, GM or scout; he's a player.

You can believe whatever you'd like to believe, I didn't mean any disrespect in my previous post; but if you think I'd let any NBA select my roster, you're sadly mistaken.

Supreme LA
02-07-2012, 01:31 AM
"Nuff said" right?

Nope, just because Kobe isos more and puts more pressure on Iggy, doesn't make him a better player; but of course Iggy isn't smart enough to realize that... Iggy isn't even taking the bigs into account, discrediting all of the all-time great big men. :pity:

I didn't say you specifically, I said people who treat a player's opinion as gospel, so if the shoe fits... I wasn't asking anyone to value my opinion over anyone else's, I just said that most players don't know **** about analyzing talent.

Irrelevant.

For him to discredit what all other all-time great players have done by naming Kobe runner-up to being GOAT is just stupid on his part. He plays in the league, making his opinion biased and subjective, on top of that, he is a wing player, so he may be more inclined to wings vs bigs.

I really don't care whether or not you "accept my answer", I said what I wanted to say, take it however you feel like taking it... Intelligence is important in breaking down statistics and going beyond just what they see in games or the W/L column; a lot of players look at things like that and just state their opinion.

For him to say what he said, only shows how poor his analytical skills are.

Last I checked, Iggy isn't a coach, GM or scout; he's a player.

You can believe whatever you'd like to believe, I didn't mean any disrespect in my previous post; but if you think I'd let any NBA select my roster, you're sadly mistaken.

Well that dumbass comment was a little harsh but it's cool. No hard feelings.

And to tell you the truth, I don't believe Kobe to be the second GOAT either but I do strongly believe him to be the 2nd greatest SG of all-time.

jam
02-07-2012, 01:56 AM
Kobe is the second best shooting guard of all time, not the second best player of all time.

hes great...but thats just not true.

Raph12
02-07-2012, 02:09 AM
Well that dumbass comment was a little harsh but it's cool. No hard feelings.

And to tell you the truth, I don't believe Kobe to be the second GOAT either but I do strongly believe him to be the 2nd greatest SG of all-time.

I meant that comment for the people who look at this thread and think "well if this guy said it, it must be true", I wasn't implying that towards you.

I can agree with that, I got Kobe at 2 for my SGs list; with Wade battling it out against West for the #3 slot (edge to Wade). Kobe is in my top 10, just not 2nd overall, I was offended because it was too much disrespect towards Kareem by saying that.

kArSoN RyDaH
02-07-2012, 02:24 AM
Whatever the arguments are; I don't really care.

Who would I want to win me one game if I had to choose out of all NBA players all time?

- Kobe.

Outside of MJ, I can't say that too many people would take anyone else either.

NYKalltheway
02-07-2012, 02:39 AM
Whatever the arguments are; I don't really care.

Who would I want to win me one game if I had to choose out of all NBA players all time?

- Kobe.

Outside of MJ, I can't say that too many people would take anyone else either.

you sure about that? :eyebrow:

Crackadalic
02-07-2012, 02:44 AM
No. If anything his playing style is like Mj. Ill rank him 2nd best sg though