PDA

View Full Version : Seattle getting another NBA team??

spreadeagle
02-05-2012, 06:58 PM
Seattle officials, led by hedge-fund multimillionaire Christopher Hansen, are growing increasingly optimistic that the city will approve an acceptable financing plan for a new arena, according to emails and documents released Friday.

"Thanks for spending the time today guys," Hansen wrote in a June 16 email to Julie McCoy, chief of staff to Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn, and Ethan Raup, the mayor's director of policy and operations.

"I really appreciate it and look forward to making this happen in Seattle," wrote Hansen, a multimillionaire who built a fortune in the private investment world. "I genuinely mean that and am confident that with a little effort and creativity we can find a solution that meets our needs and the City's /State's desire to get a team back to Seattle without a large public outlay."

Hansen hopes to buy an NBA team and build an arena south of Safeco Field, which is home to the Seattle Mariners.

Documents show Hansen has been following developments in Sacramento, where city officials must approve a financing plan for a new arena by a March 1 deadline to keep the Kings from relocating.

If Sacramento fails to approve a workable financing plan, the Kings could be playing in Seattle next fall if the city and Hansen reach an agreement, according to one Seattle City Hall source with knowledge of the situation. http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2017426859_arena05m.html?syndication=rss

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-05-2012, 07:02 PM
California already has 4 teams, wouldn't mind having one of them relocate to Seattle.

PippensBulls
02-05-2012, 07:03 PM
good, at least one of the teams is poorly owned and must be bought and relocated for the sake of that team's future

Tmath
02-05-2012, 07:14 PM
They should move the Clippers to Seattle, that would make up for moving them in the first place & I find it stupid having two teams playing in the same home building or move Sacremento or New Orleans to Seattle, either one.

jimbobjarree
02-05-2012, 07:18 PM
Would love to see this, but not at the expense of Sacramento losing their Kings

gotoHcarolina52
02-05-2012, 07:20 PM
Wait, the guy from To Catch a Predator wants to build Seattle an arena?

http://seemslegit.com/_images/272d0cb4141830a763cba4211594f1fc/1972%20-%20chris-hansen%20uh-oh.jpg

Robbw241
02-05-2012, 07:23 PM
Moar teamzzzzz

Cal827
02-05-2012, 07:35 PM
Wait, the guy from To Catch a Predator wants to build Seattle an arena?

http://seemslegit.com/_images/272d0cb4141830a763cba4211594f1fc/1972%20-%20chris-hansen%20uh-oh.jpg

:laugh:

Hey guys, I just won tickets off a 14 year old girl to go to their home opener next year when they take an NBA team. Just gotta meet her in the stadium to get them. And on top of that, she asked me to bring beer so I wouldn't have to pay for the stadium's. Sounds like a deal to me!

iliketurtles24
02-05-2012, 08:00 PM
i want them to be the sonics again though

HouRealCoach
02-05-2012, 08:04 PM
Sacramento have some of the loudest and most loyal fans... I think New Orleans should move

bmd1101
02-05-2012, 08:15 PM
i want them to be the sonics again though

They can be named the Sonics, the name was retained in the OKC move.

DiscoLemonade
02-05-2012, 08:33 PM
http://hosted.corelicorp.net/chris_hansen.gif

IndyRealist
02-05-2012, 08:54 PM
Didn't the Maloofs say that they were unwilling to sell the Kings? Don't they already have a deal lined up in Aneheim? Didn't the NBA purchase the Hornets because their owner was looking to sell to people who wanted to move out of NOLA? Guess I'm missing something in all this speculation.

MVP1
02-05-2012, 09:07 PM
Clippers need their own market, their own identity. Their good now, but it's still is and always will be a Lakers town

Raps08-09 Champ
02-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Blake Griffin and Chris Paul is Shawn Kemp and Gary Payton-esque.

IndyRealist
02-05-2012, 09:29 PM

Offense, yes. Defensive, not quite.

Baller1
02-05-2012, 09:58 PM
:pray: :pray: :pray:

:dance:

GiantsSwaGG
02-05-2012, 10:20 PM
The Bobcats should move...Charolett isn't even loud

Avenged
02-05-2012, 10:27 PM
So do the Seattle fans who followed the Thunder continue to do so or revert back to their hometown? The Thunder have so much potential and are young, it's going to be tough to get some of those fans back.

ee
02-05-2012, 10:43 PM
Oh nice, i can at least see the nets play once a year

Wolfman01
02-05-2012, 11:19 PM
A NBA team back in Seattle is good to hear. Seattle is a basketball city and I wouldn't mind if a team goes there. The Seattle Kings? The Kings and Clippers are two team that are more likely to move to another city. But since the Clippers are playing good basketball right now I'm not sure they will leave LA. The Kings on the other hand want's a new stadium to play. The Thunder should of stay in Seattle. The Seattle Supersonics jersey was one of my favorite team to watch when they had Ray Allen.

drew_ellis_23
02-05-2012, 11:35 PM

Oh I agree. I think the Hornets will end up being the team as they are for sale and if we get a arena built and a good owner, Stern will do what he can to get a team in Seattle if Seattle does all that and holds up there end of the bargain. Then maybe I will give a rats *** about the NBA again. Until then, go NCAA!

drew_ellis_23
02-05-2012, 11:36 PM
So do the Seattle fans who followed the Thunder continue to do so or revert back to their hometown? The Thunder have so much potential and are young, it's going to be tough to get some of those fans back.

True Sonic fans don't follow the Thunder. I love KD and Westbrook on my fantasy team, but **** the Thunder!

drew_ellis_23
02-05-2012, 11:40 PM
The Bobcats should move...Charolett isn't even loud

It needs to be a Western conference team though. Sacramento would be great. At least there is some talent there. Bobcats are horrible. MJ will never take that team out of his home town either. Clippers would be my choice, but not going to happen. They are on the rise. LA would be smarter to let the Lakers go LOL. Laker name can stay in LA and Kobe can be a Sonic :laugh:

JLynn943
02-05-2012, 11:51 PM
I really hope it's the Hornets instead of the Kings. Sacramento has done too much to keep the Kings to just have them taken away like the Sonics were.

shep33
02-06-2012, 12:14 AM
That'd be cool

Evolution23
02-06-2012, 06:07 AM
I approve the idea of moving the Clippers to Seattle. But they need to change the name back to the Sonics because it just brings back my nostalgia from the 90's, watching Gary Payton and Shawn Kemp together. The new age version of the Sonics could be CP3 and Blake. #Fun times!

abe_froman
02-06-2012, 06:15 AM
maloofs wouldnt sell,hornets are the logical choice-no owner,that city never really embraced that team.

....and have no idea why some of you are floating clippers out there,locked in lease to staples and growing fanbase in huge media market

kikeyanez
02-06-2012, 07:22 AM
The kings should stay in california! the bay area can support two nba teams! they should move to san jose! the warriors will move back to san francisco in a few years. the hornets or bob cats should be moved to seattle

ccg34
02-06-2012, 09:10 AM
They should move the Hornets to OKC where they belong and bring back OKC Thunder back to Seattle.

It has been a pain to watch OKC blossom into arguably the best team in the league. Every time I watch KD I always think of what could have been.

As a die hard Sonic fan since the age of 3, I would love for the NBA to come back to Seattle. It has been tough watching the NBA the past few years. I feel lost. I don't know which team to root for. I also wouldn't mind the Clippers to move to Seattle. Blake Griffin and would CP3 would bring back fond memories of GP and Shawn Kemp.

ccg34
02-06-2012, 09:15 AM

I love KD, but its hard to root for OKC. I was glad Dallas beat them in the playoffs. I wish them nothing but the worst. I hope KD pulls a Lebron and goes elsewhere like LA. Clay Bennett doesn't deserve to have any success as an owner in the NBA. He is a thief and a liar. If it weren't for his love affair with David Stern. The Seattle Supersonics would be sitting atop of the West in 2012.

ccg34
02-06-2012, 09:23 AM
I really don't want to see the Kings move. They have so much history there with C Webb. I remember watching playoff games and seeing one of the best fan bases in the league. I remember how loud the fans were and how great those Sac teams of the early 2000's. I would much rather have the Clippers. They are on the rise and LA already has the Lakers.

NoahH
02-06-2012, 01:22 PM
Well looks like Ill be getting season tickets or a 10 pack at least!

gaughan333
02-06-2012, 01:49 PM
Good for seattle, sucks it'll be the kings they get though

JasonJohnHorn
02-06-2012, 05:18 PM
Why don't they just move the Hornets there? Not that complicated. Somebody wants a team, a team needs an owner. Just make it happen already.

FrenchSunsFan
02-06-2012, 05:39 PM
Good for the Seattle .

kvrnm
02-06-2012, 05:39 PM
keep the name as supersonics n rock the dark green and red that they wore in mid to late 90's...

PacersForLife
02-06-2012, 05:57 PM
One of the 4 California teams or the Hornets...

gaughan333
02-06-2012, 05:58 PM
Why don't they just move the Hornets there? Not that complicated. Somebody wants a team, a team needs an owner. Just make it happen already.

Its the NBA...what you purpose makes far too much sense

nolafan33
02-06-2012, 06:16 PM
Why are you guys so quick to point out the Hornets? Are any of yall aware we're close to a 10-15 year lease agreement that will keep the Hornets in New Orleans?

Are yall not aware that we sold 10,000 season tickets, something a lot of teams can't say they've done? To say New Orleans hasn't embraced this team just shows your clueless.

Are yall not aware that the Hornets, because of the NBA, now have one of the brightest futures?

The Hornets aren't moving, and there is evidence to back that up, get it out of your head.

JasonJohnHorn
02-06-2012, 06:23 PM
Why are you guys so quick to point out the Hornets? Are any of yall aware we're close to a 10-15 year lease agreement that will keep the Hornets in New Orleans?

Are yall not aware that we sold 10,000 season tickets, something a lot of teams can't say they've done? To say New Orleans hasn't embraced this team just shows your clueless.

Are yall not aware that the Hornets, because of the NBA, now have one of the brightest futures?

The Hornets aren't moving, and there is evidence to back that up, get it out of your head.

Nobody is saying that New Orleans hasn't embraced the NBA, but the bottom line is that New Orleans is not making money, doesn't have an owner, and when they aren't winning they have a hard time selling tickets. Seatle wants a team, the Hornest need an owner. Its just a logical pairing.

As for the lease... these things can be bought out, but likely that lease is one of the things that's making it hard to sell this team.

Everybody knows how hard it is for fans to lose their team. If the Raptors or Pistons moved, I'd be heart broken, but Pistons have had great attendance over the past ten years and the Raptors are one of the few teams that is turning a profit. Nobody wants to see another city lose their team, but the Hornets are the only team without an owner...

WildcatsPride
02-06-2012, 06:24 PM
That'd be awesome. The NBA just doesn't seem the same anymore after the Sonics were stolen from Seattle.

nolafan33
02-06-2012, 06:35 PM
Nobody is saying that New Orleans hasn't embraced the NBA, but the bottom line is that New Orleans is not making money, doesn't have an owner, and when they aren't winning they have a hard time selling tickets. Seatle wants a team, the Hornest need an owner. Its just a logical pairing.

As for the lease... these things can be bought out, but likely that lease is one of the things that's making it hard to sell this team.

Everybody knows how hard it is for fans to lose their team. If the Raptors or Pistons moved, I'd be heart broken, but Pistons have had great attendance over the past ten years and the Raptors are one of the few teams that is turning a profit. Nobody wants to see another city lose their team, but the Hornets are the only team without an owner...

The thing is, if your not a Hornets fan, you honestly don't have the first clue what your talking about.

It's common knowledge here in New Orleans that, a 10-15 year lease will be agreed on in as little as 30 days, and a owner will come right after that. The lease will also not be able to be bought out. It's also common knowledge that either, Tom Benson, Gary Chouest, or a group between Mike Dunleavy and Micheal Dell will buy the team (Dell has local ties), lots of people "in the know" say it will be Benson and they could be as far along in the process of finalizing the sale.

And, you can't just say that we don't have a owner. We do have a owner, and that guy just happens to be the commissioner of the league, and he also happens to have his mind made up that the Hornets aren't leaving. He's already said multiple times that he has turned down a good bit of potential buyers that would have moved the team, most notably Larry Ellison. Bottom line, if the Hornets were leaving New Orleans, they would already have a owner.

I know that saying people have inside sources seems kind of cheesy to you, but trust me these are people that Hornets fans know as truly having inside sources, Harvey and Joe Gerrity, among others.

I just hung up with Geaux Nola who is telling me that a very respected source with connections to both camps (Benson and Chouest), believes Benson will become the sole owner of the Hornets franchise.

This kind of makes sense I guess. Benson has always wanted complete control of the New Orleans sports scene...and both arenas. From a business standpoint, Benson has the most to gain. Think of how he could use the Saints to prop up Hornets (or hopefully a new name that doesn't suck or have the horrendous baggage that comes with the current name and colors) support, etc. It would also guarantee maximum useage of Champions Square. Doesn't he have a TV station too? He controls WWL radio's sports programming though he isn't an owner there. It all makes sense.

I still believe that Chouest wants the team. I know he has an offer on the table...but the franchise may be more valuable to Benson....therefore he would be willing to beat Chouest's price. Stern always said he would purchase the team and then flip it for a profit. Benson could be his only local hope of doing so. I doubt Chouest's offer is what Stern wants.

Benson is in the final stages of negotiations to purchase the Hornets from the league according to one person who is/was also bidding on purchasing the Hornets. Arena lease & corporate sponsor must be finalized first but he is the leading candidate. State working on plans to redevelop a parcel of property adjacent to New Orleans Arena (soon to be Zatarain's/Louisiana Seafood Arena) next to parking garage for new entertainment/retail/parking/& practice facility to tie into Champion's Square. Influential group out of Baltimore, MD is designing the project as part of lease agreement with state and tie in with Superdome/Arena/Benson Tower. Arena is rumored to get a major cosmetic facelift with all glass restaurant/bar facing interstate where green wall is now. Person bidding believed the Benson's proposal was by far the best although it wasn't the highest bid for the Hornets as of yet.

Does it sound logical, sure it does. But does that mean it's possible? No, things aren't nearly as messy or confusing as outsiders want to believe.

mgsports
02-06-2012, 08:21 PM
Shock moved to Tulsa so the Pistons to Tulsa then or even Tampa Bay.
San Fran has no NBA arena in place and San Diego/San Jose/Anahiem do.
KC wants a team both in NHL/NBA.
Bettman wants to bring like Coyotes to Seattle.

NateyB24
02-06-2012, 09:00 PM
Oh I agree. I think the Hornets will end up being the team as they are for sale and if we get a arena built and a good owner, Stern will do what he can to get a team in Seattle if Seattle does all that and holds up there end of the bargain. Then maybe I will give a rats *** about the NBA again. Until then, go NCAA!

That will never happen Stern is going to have to retire before the Hornets ever leave New Orleans he wants them there.

Rather see the Kings stay but if there going to be moving to Anaheim i would love to have them come to Seattle if we can actually get a Arena built.

NYYCowboys
02-06-2012, 09:13 PM
They could have the Knicks if they want.

Boozerguy47
02-06-2012, 10:35 PM

I for one, and I know the majority of Sonics' fans are not fans of OKC.

Once we traded Ray Allen and let Rashard walk the team was already gone in my mind.

Another article stating there is a 70% chance the Kings end up in Seattle - http://mynorthwest.com/719/623299/Reporter-Seattle-has-7030-chance-to-land-NBAs-Kings

richiesaurus310
02-06-2012, 10:50 PM
Clippers need their own market, their own identity. Their good now, but it's still is and always will be a Lakers town

People forget how big LA is. This city almost has as many people as the entire state of texas, which has 3 nba teams. There is plenty of fans and room for the clips and lakers here, and even the kings in anaheim if they want.