PDA

View Full Version : LATimes: Clippers Set Sights On Signing J.R. Smith

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-05-2012, 01:15 AM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-clippers-fyi-20120205,0,113716.story

Reporting from Washington— The Clippers, still not done dealing after signing Kenyon Martin on Friday, will pursue guard J.R. Smith after the team he plays on in the Chinese Basketball Assn. finishes its season and he becomes eligible to play in the NBA, said a person not authorized to speak publicly on the matter.

The Clippers aren't getting enough production off the bench behind small forward Caron Butler and feel as if Smith can provide the team with a big scoring punch at the position, the person said.

Smith, a 6-6 wing player, averaged 12.5 points on 42.8% shooting, including 37.1% from three-point range, during his seven-year NBA career with New Orleans and Denver.

He would be an unrestricted free agent that the Clippers could sign to the mini-mid-level exception of $2.5 million, or for the veteran minimum of about $1 million.

Under the CBA rules, Smith still can't return to the NBA until his Zhejiang Golden Bulls team's season is over. If the Golden Bulls miss the playoffs, it could open the door for Smith to return to the NBA by the All-Star weekend, Feb. 25-26.

The New York Knicks and Lakers reportedly also have interest in Smith.

But the Clippers like their chances because Smith played with Chris Paul in New Orleans and with Chauncey Billups and Martin in Denver.

The Clippers have a 15-man roster and would have to waive a player to make room for Smith.

Pakman
02-05-2012, 01:17 AM
Oh clippers.. u can sign every available player your still not going to win a title.

DoMeFavors
02-05-2012, 01:18 AM
Its going to be a deal full of players that want to play and egos will get in the way, how can you play all those players with that talent?

Raps18-19 Champ
02-05-2012, 01:27 AM
I wonder how long it'll take until someone says "Lob City!" in this thread.

kjoke
02-05-2012, 01:29 AM
Lob City!

I cen definitely see him going there. Very deadly; I would hate to face them/

Punk
02-05-2012, 01:29 AM
Lol I love how the article totally ignores the fact they used their Mini MLE, they have no full MLE and they can only offer the vet min. While other teams can offer more.

lpdunks8
02-05-2012, 01:32 AM
Lol I love how the article totally ignores the fact they used their Mini MLE, they have no full MLE and they can only offer the vet min. While other teams can offer more.

Yup, I wondered in the Lakers forum (when someone suggested signing him) if people thought he'd sign for six figures (pro-rated $1M or so vet minimum).

Avenged
02-05-2012, 01:37 AM
How can they afford all these players? All that talent something is bound to go wrong chemistry wise.

kblo247
02-05-2012, 01:39 AM
NY - Most money
Lakers - Biggest role, possible starting job, and a chance to win
Clippers - Most familiarity and easier to fit in with guys you know

ThunderousDemon
02-05-2012, 01:43 AM
I hope the Lakers sign him, he could start or come off the bench

Chill_Will_24
02-05-2012, 01:44 AM
OMG if LAC gets him they will be ridiculously stacked

GrandDaddyPurp
02-05-2012, 01:45 AM
NY - Most money
Lakers - Biggest role, possible starting job, and a chance to win
Clippers - Most familiarity and easier to fit in with guys you know

A chance to win what? The 8th playoff spot? GTFO. Clippers is the best option for him clearly.

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-05-2012, 01:45 AM
I hope the Lakers sign him, he could start or come off the bench

Not trying to sound like a jerk, but that's usually the only two options you have in the game of basketball. :laugh2:

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-05-2012, 01:47 AM
A chance to win what? The 8th playoff spot? GTFO. Clippers is the best option for him clearly.

GTFO for what? You have no right to tell anyone that. Lakers have the championship pedigree.

kblo247
02-05-2012, 01:48 AM

Fish, Kobe, Pau, and Andrew have been to the Finals and won multiple rings. Paul has never won anything of substance, in fact the only rotation players that have long playoff experience are Martin and Billups. From a pure standpoint of being ready to win a 7 game series, I'll take Kobe and the bigs over Paul and Blake. They have to crawl before they can walk let alone run in the postseason.

JR could start or come off the bench and still get 30 minutes a night and all the shots he wants because of the SF and 6th man situation.

lavilevi23
02-05-2012, 01:49 AM
Clippers are becoming scary.

shep33
02-05-2012, 02:07 AM
Clips are already pretty stacked... add JR and look out

kblo247
02-05-2012, 02:19 AM

My thing is where does he get minutes? Paul, Billups, Mo, Caron, and Foye have all played well. Reggie, Kenyon, Blake, and DJ are going to fight for time as well.

PippensBulls
02-05-2012, 02:26 AM
since when did signing players left and right like collecting trading cards net you a championship?

Chronz
02-05-2012, 02:30 AM

My thing is where does he get minutes? Paul, Billups, Mo, Caron, and Foye have all played well. Reggie, Kenyon, Blake, and DJ are going to fight for time as well.
Assuming they want him as 6th man he would play behind Caron and absorb some time at either guard spot.

Assuming Smith would want a greater role in place of our lack of cash he could push Chauncey to the bench.

Either way it fills a void

akesh99
02-05-2012, 02:41 AM
wow the athleticism on that team would be unreal

TheNumber37
02-05-2012, 02:51 AM
If Kmart and JR both play there, this team is gonna be dangerous.

kozelkid
02-05-2012, 03:01 AM
Lob City!

I cen definitely see him going there. Very deadly; I would hate to face them/

Not when Vinny Del Negro is your coach.

It saddens me that 3 of the most talented teams (Miami, OKC, LAC) might have 3 of the most incompetent coaches. Okay, maybe not Miami.

Still, it angers me how much Vinny has lucked out as a coach with getting talented players. From Rose, Deng and Noah to now CP3, Blake, etc.

celtics 34
02-05-2012, 03:19 AM

It saddens me that 3 of the most talented teams (Miami, OKC, LAC) might have 3 of the most incompetent coaches. Okay, maybe not Miami.

Still, it angers me how much Vinny has lucked out as a coach with getting talented players. From Rose, Deng and Noah to now CP3, Blake, etc.

the thunder I though scott brooks was a pretty good coach

meloman1592
02-05-2012, 03:22 AM
Alright, the clippers are my 2nd favorite team but cmon, leave something for other teams

*cough cough* knicks

kozelkid
02-05-2012, 04:40 AM
the thunder I though scott brooks was a pretty good coach

A lot seem to think that. Unfortunately, coaches seem too intertwined with the record of the team when in reality, it could be because of their talent.

Again, Brooks has received way too much credit for a team that is INCREDIBLY talented. Their "big 3" is right there with Miami's. Except they also have a deep bench and a complete starting 5 that doesn't consistent of borderline role players.

They should be straight dominating. And again, while their record has been impressive, they simply have not been consistently dominating teams like Chicago or Miami have. Hence their scoring margin is significantly smaller than either.

Fact is their defense is straight average (13th best d-rating). When they have SO many capable defenders and some good ones in Westbrook/Harden/Sefolosha/Ibaka/Perkins/Collison etc. They could and should be right there defensively with the likes of Chicago, Miami, Indiana, etc. Instead, they're in the middle of the back.

Offensively, they are quite a bit better and find it easy to score against the poor teams based on pure talent alone. Unfortunately, that talent doesn't seem enough against the tough defensive teams which was why OKC struggled to eventually beat Memphis in the Western semis last year and why Carlisle absolutely coached circles around Brooks in the WCF. In the half court setting, OKC's offense was absolutely murked and that's when the media starting blaming and hating on the Durant and Westbrook duo (particularly on Westbrook being "selfish"). When in reality, Brooks still can't seem to utilize the two properly and in the end, simply hoped Durant could create something out of nothing. Their halfcourt setups and plays were straight pathetic in the WCF.

And OKC will continue to struggle against the well-coached defensive teams. It's why I don't think OKC stands a chance against Chicago or Miami in the finals. And they better pray Portland is not the team they face in the first round, because that team could give them absolute trouble. Because I could see McMillan and his very disciplined defense giving OKC absolute fits as he inevitably forces the pace to be more in the halfcourt.

PacersForLife
02-05-2012, 04:57 AM
I would look for the Pacers to make an offer to him. We've still got tons of cap and need a scorer off the bench.

MJ-BULLS
02-05-2012, 05:01 AM

so true, while the clips have alot of talent, vinny sucks with out a doubt, we saw it first hand when he was coaching our bulls.

PacersForLife
02-05-2012, 05:05 AM
If the Clips do end up getting Smith, I wonder if it works out. There are so many talented guys on that team that somebody is gonna get left out. I guess it's a good problem to have.

LakersIn5
02-05-2012, 05:27 AM
they can sign anyone but they are still the CLIPPERS so they dont win ****.

Evolution23
02-05-2012, 05:35 AM
He's going to the Knicks 90%

Neosheed
02-05-2012, 06:08 AM

Ummm.........no Chicago would be the best place to win. With rip hurting hell push him to the bench and rose would have a running mate on breaks and a assassin from out side he can't really do what he dose best on the bulls.....score cause the bulls an already defensive time all they cover up for his lack of D

NoahH
02-05-2012, 06:11 AM
Clippers are his number one option. Lakers are gonna face plant in the playoffs let's face it and the Knicks are just crap.

CHANGO
02-05-2012, 10:54 AM
that team would have a lot of HEAT killers :sigh: Billups, J.R and Mo.

If that happens we could see those small lineups with J.R in the 3!

cbs134679
02-05-2012, 11:46 AM
How can they afford all these players? All that talent something is bound to go wrong chemistry wise.

I don't think chemistry will be an issue when you have the purest pg in the league, clippers will be a threat to contend imo.

sharqstealth
02-05-2012, 12:05 PM
Greediness won't win you anything...

Avenged
02-05-2012, 12:10 PM
I don't think chemistry will be an issue when you have the purest pg in the league, clippers will be a threat to contend imo.

They already are a threat, and contenders. Just don't see all that talent meshing but you're right, when you have Chris Paul on your team, things will go right.

knicks=love
02-05-2012, 12:49 PM
Not trying to sound like a jerk, but that's usually the only two options you have in the game of basketball. :laugh2:

:laugh:

king4day
02-05-2012, 12:55 PM
O pleasssssssssse go to the Clippers. I wanna see them do this thing.
Adding him would give that team so much depth. Make this year special.

king4day
02-05-2012, 12:58 PM
Clippers are his number one option. Lakers are gonna face plant in the playoffs let's face it and the Knicks are just crap.

Pretty much this. Lakers are still good but if I'm Smith and I want to choose between the LA team I think can go all the way, I'm picking the Clippers. Younger, deeper, built to win right now. Plus, if the Clips want, they could then sign him and go over the cap for next year whereas, resigning with the Lakers would help them but the team is getting older. If he wants to win, and win for a long time, the Clippers are his choice.

THE MTL
02-05-2012, 01:12 PM
Clippers just get everybody now-a-days loll

Gritz
02-05-2012, 01:15 PM
Alright, the clippers are my 2nd favorite team but cmon, leave something for other teams

*cough cough* knicks

2nd favorite team?

Smh

HouRealCoach
02-05-2012, 01:19 PM
This is becoming a good solid squad

NYsFinest
02-05-2012, 01:20 PM

the knicks are crap right now... but their main issue is depth and pg play. if they can get jr and baron can contribute at least something depth will be fine.

NYC DRUMMER
02-05-2012, 01:23 PM
the clippers do and always will suck ***** regardless of who they scrounge up from the gutter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lakers are l.a's team and the circus act known as the clippers will always be carryin' their jocks !!!!!!!!!!

97NYer
02-05-2012, 01:33 PM
If they keep Chancey at the 2, J.R. could back up Caron and take some of the 2 guard minutes while Mo backs up CP3 and takes the rest of the minutes at the 2. This leaves Foye completely out of the picture. I would like to see J.R. to the Lakers.

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-05-2012, 01:49 PM
Anyone saying JR to the Lakers is a pipe dream. If he's going to end up signing for cheap, he's going to go to the Clips, where all his buddies are. That's what the NBA is all about these days, wanting to play with your friends.

D-Leethal
02-05-2012, 02:03 PM
Can someone clarify if the Clips have the Mini Mid-level? Didn't that go to KMart? Is the dude who wrote the article completely ******** or am I missing something? I was under the impression that the Knicks were the only team that could offer the 2.5 mill exception from the teams he was rumored to be interested in?

kenzo400
02-05-2012, 02:17 PM
They should be straight dominating. And again, while their record has been impressive, they simply have not been consistently dominating teams like Chicago or Miami have. Hence their scoring margin is significantly smaller than either.

They are dominating. They have the best record in the NBA. I don't understand how you can complain about the team with the best record.

LA4life24/8
02-05-2012, 02:30 PM
GTFO for what? You have no right to tell anyone that. Lakers have the championship pedigree.

this... duh... is someone seriously going to tell me that the clippers because they all know how to either 1. lob the ball or 2. know how to dunk the ball are title contenders? uhh no anyone see them vs the jazz the other night? 0 defense, so many uncontested lay ups in the lane... sorry errbody that side of LA is just a media attraction now, and the lakers dont care as much about the media if theyre still winning ships, and as long as they have a one kobe bean bryant i think they have a better shot than any without him lebron james or kevin durant

CarniifeX
02-05-2012, 02:57 PM
While I would love for this to happen, I just don't see how it would work.

Mo Williams and Randy Foye would see a cut in minutes and Ryan Gomes would as well.

They would probably waive Brian Cook. Their second unit is already Williams/Foye/Gomes/Evans/Martin so I don't see how he would get enough playing time to be satisfied.

That or they could maybe trade Randy Foye, but to me that would be pointless as Foye knows the team and his role and is a great backup guard himself.

MetroMan
02-05-2012, 03:15 PM
Paul
Billups
Butler
Griffin
Jordan

Bench:

Mo
Foye
Smith
K-Mart
-

This bench will surely be unmatched. For F....K. Sake the bench are starters!!!!

:hide::hide::hide:

Chronz
02-05-2012, 03:31 PM
While I would love for this to happen, I just don't see how it would work.

Mo Williams and Randy Foye would see a cut in minutes and Ryan Gomes would as well.

They would probably waive Brian Cook. Their second unit is already Williams/Foye/Gomes/Evans/Martin so I don't see how he would get enough playing time to be satisfied.

That or they could maybe trade Randy Foye, but to me that would be pointless as Foye knows the team and his role and is a great backup guard himself.
Gomes has been dreadful, and Butler/Billups could use a reduction in minutes. If theres ever a season for depth like this, its this one.

Adding JR relieves pressure from everyone 1 through 3