PDA

View Full Version : Where do you rank Kobe right now among NBA players???

Ty Fast
02-04-2012, 10:15 PM
I say he is #2 behind Lebron James. Where do you rank him?

ChiSox219
02-04-2012, 10:25 PM
Behind chris paul

Raps18-19 Champ
02-04-2012, 10:35 PM
2nd sounds about right.

Top 3 for sure.

Cal827
02-04-2012, 10:53 PM
Yup.

Cano4prez
02-04-2012, 10:56 PM
Behind LeBron, Dwight, Wade, Rose, Paul, Durant, and Dirk in no specific order

Avenged
02-04-2012, 10:59 PM
This season thus far somewhere along 3-4.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-04-2012, 11:11 PM

so wrong, especially on dirk

Ladies Man
02-04-2012, 11:12 PM
Behind Scalabrine

amos1er
02-04-2012, 11:14 PM
You can't be considered the best player in the league until you win a championship. Winning is the reason everyone competes. If you can't win, you can't be considered better than your peers who have won it all....especially multiple times.

Chronz
02-04-2012, 11:14 PM
This year hes been top 4/5 but I still consider Wade ahead of him overall.

amos1er
02-04-2012, 11:16 PM

None of these players have a rings except for Dirk and Wade....Kobe is better than Dirk and Wade this season by far. Dwight, Rose, Paul, Durant, and Lebron are all overhyped marauders of David Stern and the media...until they prove something, they are all just hype.

amos1er
02-04-2012, 11:17 PM

Come on man...Wade has been a shadow of his former self this season. Your not even being objective now.

lakersfan01
Lebron James, Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, Derrick Rose, Dwight Howard, Andrew Bynum, Chris Paul, Blake Griffin, Dwayne Wade, Kevin Love. Kobe is almost top 10.

Cano4prez
None of these players have a rings except for Dirk and Wade....Kobe is better than Dirk and Wade this season by far. Dwight, Rose, Paul, Durant, and Lebron are all overhyped marauders of David Stern and the media...until they prove something, they are all just hype.

amos1er
02-04-2012, 11:20 PM
If were going by stats, I would say Lebron as #1a and Kobe as 1b. If were going by being a winner, Its Kobe by a mile.

lakersiznumber1
02-04-2012, 11:27 PM
2 me kobe still number 1 but i wont argue with anyone who has him at 2. Him and lebron are way above anybody else in the game right now place them any way u want but top 2 4sure

NBAfan4life
02-04-2012, 11:36 PM
I have him somewhere in the top 7. Some days even as high as 2 or 3.

lavilevi23
02-05-2012, 12:04 AM
6th.

1.LeBron
2.Howard
3.Wade
4.Durant
5.Rose
6.Kobe
7.CP3

bucketss
02-05-2012, 12:17 AM
If were going by stats, I would say Lebron as #1a and Kobe as 1b. If were going by being a winner, Its Kobe by a mile.

why does things kobe did in the past have so much weight on who is the best player today... location:los angeles.... oh nvm

Lakers + Giants
02-05-2012, 12:22 AM
As of right now, just this year. 1 lbj 2 durant 3 Dwight 4 kobe

Chronz
02-05-2012, 12:41 AM

Come on man...Wade has been a shadow of his former self this season. Your not even being objective now.
You didn't get my post, I know Kobe has outplayed Wade this year, like I told Hawkeye in the PF thread, I dont base my opinion on that scale.

Theres a difference between playing better in the present and being the better player overall. And overall, I don't buy this being Wades level of play going forward. Need more important games from a healthy Wade before I think hes fallen off so drastically.

shep33
02-05-2012, 12:54 AM
Probably 2-5.

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-05-2012, 01:17 AM
Oh he's top 100 for sure.

Law25
02-05-2012, 01:18 AM
Probably 2-5.

This. But the better question is where would he rank if he wins a title without Phil. His last challenge as a player IMO.

Lakeshow24KB
02-05-2012, 01:30 AM
Lebron James, Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, Derrick Rose, Dwight Howard, Andrew Bynum, Chris Paul, Blake Griffin, Dwayne Wade, Kevin Love. Kobe is almost top 10.

Are you high?

Fnom11
02-05-2012, 01:52 AM
Taking only this season into account: Lebron Durant Rose Kobe. He would be higher but his team record blows.

Hawkeye15
02-05-2012, 01:54 AM
Top 5 for sure. I could even accept a rational argument for top 4.

LA_Raiders
02-05-2012, 02:26 AM
#1 No Question, He is leading a sorry *** soft team to the playoffs...

30/6/6 not bad for a 33yr old

ghettosean
02-05-2012, 02:41 AM
Dude the post is called "Where do you rank Kobe right now among NBA players???" and you mention Wade who has been injured and nothing like himself when healthy. Come on seriously over the leading scorer in the league all I have to say is :facepalm:

ghettosean
02-05-2012, 02:41 AM
I have him at #2 just below Lebron since he's having an MVP type of year.

Voodoo Alchemy
02-05-2012, 03:54 AM
You can't be considered the best player in the league until you win a championship. Winning is the reason everyone competes. If you can't win, you can't be considered better than your peers who have won it all....especially multiple times.

so you acknowledge that shaq, gasol and bynum had alot to do with kobe's 5 rings

shep33
02-05-2012, 04:04 AM
I don't think any 33 year old outside of potentially Durant can do what he's doing now in the future

PippensBulls
02-05-2012, 04:12 AM
he's having a great year. i'd put him behind lebron, and above durant.

Chronz
02-05-2012, 04:18 AM
Dude the post is called "Where do you rank Kobe right now among NBA players???" and you mention Wade who has been injured and nothing like himself when healthy. Come on seriously over the leading scorer in the league all I have to say is :facepalm:
Yea and right now its been too small of a sample to overcome the big picture. For instance if you were to ask who's had a better year than Dirk, you could come up with a pretty long list, do you really believe that many players are better than Dirk? If so then I dont care how you evaluate players.

49erGiantLaker
02-05-2012, 04:27 AM
As of right now #2 behind that Lebron guy.

LakersMaster24
02-05-2012, 04:28 AM
You didn't get my post, I know Kobe has outplayed Wade this year, like I told Hawkeye in the PF thread, I dont base my opinion on that scale.

Theres a difference between playing better in the present and being the better player overall. And overall, I don't buy this being Wades level of play going forward. Need more important games from a healthy Wade before I think hes fallen off so drastically.

Dude are you trying to say that Wade is a better overall player than Kobe? Kobe is considered to be the player with the biggest arsenal on offense, and he is also a above average perimeter defender.

Kobe has a better post game, better jumpshot, better IQ, etc.

Kobe > Wade (This season its not even close lol last year Wade was obviously better)

Also, regarding the thread, I think Kobe is a Top 5 player this year easily.

Lebron, Dwight, Kobe, Rose, Durant are my Top 5. (No particular order after Lebron)

naps
02-05-2012, 04:36 AM
Anywhere from 6-8. LeBron, Wade, CP3, Howard, Durant are all better. Derrick Rose has a strong case as well. And I beg people who tend to live in the moment not to quote me. For explanation read Chronz's posts above.

OutOfTHEBLUE
02-05-2012, 05:06 AM
Third behind Lebron and Dwight Howard.

LakersMaster24
02-05-2012, 05:11 AM
Anywhere from 6-8. LeBron, Wade, CP3, Howard, Durant are all better. Derrick Rose has a strong case as well. And I beg people who tend to live in the moment not to quote me. For explanation read Chronz's posts above.

Care to explain how the hell is Wade better than Bryant? Especially this season? Durant is not better than Kobe either. Only guys that can be put ahead of Kobe at this point of his career and especially this season are Dwight and Lebron.

LakersMaster24
02-05-2012, 05:14 AM
By the way no one is living in the moment. Kobe has been winning consistently and has been at least a Top 10 player in the past 10 years. Wade is almost 30 and at that age Kobe was already considered to be a Top 15-20 Player of All Time at the very list. See my point there?

LakersIn5
02-05-2012, 05:26 AM
top 3 behind lebron and dwight. before this season wade, dirk, cp3 was ahead of him but not anymore.

brodawgs
02-05-2012, 05:28 AM
I always love it when some one asks open ended questions like these. What do you mean rank? Skill/Skillset? Not even in the top 5 right now, but that's not really fair since he's past his prime. In his prime he'd be behind LeBron, possibly tied with Durant. Leadership? Most likely number one, though you could argue Duncan. Arrogance? Definitely tied with LeBron for number one. MVP? Not even as valuable to the Lakers as say LeBron to the Heat or Rose to the Bulls.

310Casper
02-05-2012, 05:33 AM
Everyone putting Wade way up there.

Most overrated player of this generation. Dont get me wrong, he's an elite player in the top 6, but i swear people overrate him all the time and put him at the 1 or 2 spot.

ArmLaker
02-05-2012, 05:48 AM
Number 1 easily and no im not even joking :)

naps
02-05-2012, 06:13 AM
Everyone putting Wade way up there.

Most overrated player of this generation. Dont get me wrong, he's an elite player in the top 6, but i swear people overrate him all the time and put him at the 1 or 2 spot.

I am pretty sure Wade is probably the most underrated superstar in the history of NBA. And Kobe is probably the most overrated in the history of the game, or sports in general. Don't get me wrong Kobe has still been an elite player but just overrated.

Method28
02-05-2012, 06:16 AM
for people answering this from an outside perspective (not a laker fan.) You have to understand this.

This thread is pointless. It is useless to talk basketball with MOST Laker fans. Kobe is god to them. Even though his game has obviously slipped, Laker fans dont see it. They will defend him for the rest of their lives.

Imo, kobe is teetering on becoming a chucker. Now he has played better the last few games. But if he continues to go 11-25 and 1-6 from 3pt range....he should be called out on it. But he wont be.

All the laker fans see is the 25-40 point games but they take into consideration how many shots and turnovers he has during the game. So good luck to most of you who will try to prove a legit point and use every stat and/or record to validate your point. haha

Method28
02-05-2012, 06:18 AM
Oh and before i get ambushed here....in no way am i saying "kobe sucks" or "he's washed up."

Im just saying that Kobe could be sucking majorly and Laker fans would not see it and still call him the best in the game due to "his" rings.

MickeyMgl
02-05-2012, 06:22 AM
Anybody who ranks Wade anywhere in the Top Ten *right now* - this season - is just trolling.

Fnom11
02-05-2012, 06:24 AM
#1 No Question, He is leading a sorry *** soft team to the playoffs...

30/6/6 not bad for a 33yr old

Bynum and Gasol and pretty horrible players.

MickeyMgl
02-05-2012, 06:27 AM
so you acknowledge that shaq, gasol and bynum had alot to do with kobe's 5 rings

Bynum????

Bulls_fan90
02-05-2012, 06:33 AM
Above Wade.

willabeast77
02-05-2012, 11:01 AM
Durant has been better than Kobe easily. If Durant would be taking as much shots as Kobe, he'd easily be averging more pts.

And if anything thinks Kobe will end up leading the league in scoring this season, is seriously delusional and probably hardcore Kobe stans. His play will go down quickly, he's already showing signs.

Bravo95
02-05-2012, 11:12 AM
Top 3-4.

Avenged
02-05-2012, 11:38 AM
for people answering this from an outside perspective (not a laker fan.) You have to understand this.

This thread is pointless. It is useless to talk basketball with MOST Laker fans. Kobe is god to them. Even though his game has obviously slipped, Laker fans dont see it. They will defend him for the rest of their lives.

Imo, kobe is teetering on becoming a chucker. Now he has played better the last few games. But if he continues to go 11-25 and 1-6 from 3pt range....he should be called out on it. But he wont be.

All the laker fans see is the 25-40 point games but they take into consideration how many shots and turnovers he has during the game. So good luck to most of you who will try to prove a legit point and use every stat and/or record to validate your point. haha

Kobe is putting up a - slightly - better season than he did last season, and the year before that, and the year before that one. He's #4 in efficiency rating (behing Lebron, Chris Paul, and Durant). His FG% this season is on par with his career %, but I will agree on his three point shooting.. It's been bad, but has picked it up from earlier in the same when he was shooting 18% from there.

The stats back Kobe up, and Laker fans who use them. Right now Kobe is playing like a top 5 player in the league, arguably top 4. He is growing older basketball wise each day but don't let that dictate your judgement.

Right now he is behind Lebron, Chris Paul, and Durant.

wjmoffatt
02-05-2012, 11:51 AM
Not in the top five anymore!

ghettosean
02-05-2012, 12:20 PM
Yea and right now its been too small of a sample to overcome the big picture. For instance if you were to ask who's had a better year than Dirk, you could come up with a pretty long list, do you really believe that many players are better than Dirk? If so then I dont care how you evaluate players.
I agree with your point but I was just answering the OP's question and not starting my own thread. If healthy Wade is better than Kobe no doubt.

Federal Reserve
02-05-2012, 12:45 PM
Laker fans are still clinging on to what Kobe did many years ago. Lebron has been doing better than Kobe in every category. Lebron has never had Shaq to carry him to the finals. Kobe isn't even a top five player this season. He is struggling to make the playoffs while having Pau Gasol and Bynum on his team. According to most Laker fans, the Lakers have the best PF, C, SG in the West and NBA, yet they are barely an eight seed. Looking at their record outside of the Staples Center, they are 3-8. So how exactly is Kobe the best player in the NBA?

smith&wesson
02-05-2012, 01:15 PM
Player of the month. player of the week a couple times. its been what about 25 games ? so far he is def top 3.

smith&wesson
02-05-2012, 01:15 PM
nba forum is a joke. ive never seen so much hate. no matter what thread you go to you get a bunch of sarcastic responces. its great.

heattiltheend94
02-05-2012, 01:23 PM
5, behind LeBron, D12, Wade, and Durant in that order

Teeboy1487
02-05-2012, 01:45 PM
Lebron
Dwight
Kobe

Looks like he's in my top 3.

tredigs
02-05-2012, 02:17 PM
5, behind LeBron, D12, Wade, and Durant in that order

I'd go ahead and toss Chris Paul and Derrick Rose in there. And you can call me a hater but frankly I'd rather have Lemarcus Aldridge on my team over Kobe as well. I think he's a better player RIGHT now.

Despite his big counting stat numbers this year I'm truly not that impressed by Kobe's play this year (the fact that he's still capable of putting up these numbers IS impressive though). There's just no way he should essentially be taking as many shots as Bynum and Gasol combined. The Lakers are struggling, and part of that HAS to be put on the me-first play we're seeing from him. Despite the solid counting stat numbers and good PER, I do think it's telling that his WinShares/WinShares48 don't crack the top 20 in the league; it is very uncommon for that to be the case in a true top 5 player.

To answer the question, ~7th. Although he's been better than Wade thus far THIS season, I would expect that to change back to last years status during the coming months/playoffs. Wade is just a more efficient, better defensive version of Kobe at this point in his career. 14 games of playing hurt ball this year isn't enough to sway me off of that opinion.

To those saying 1b to Lebron's 1a. You are flat out delusional.

Chronz
02-05-2012, 02:19 PM
Dude are you trying to say that Wade is a better overall player than Kobe?
Going forward when healthy, yes.

Kobe is considered to be the player with the biggest arsenal on offense, and he is also a above average perimeter defender.

Kobe has a better post game, better jumpshot, better IQ, etc.

Wade doesn't have Kobes skillset but hes a better player. Skill will never trump impact, thats why Shaq was always better than Ewing despite not having his pretty jumper

Kobe > Wade (This season its not even close lol last year Wade was obviously better)
Your repeating what I already said.

LA4life24/8
02-05-2012, 02:24 PM
if were talking this season alone, not just stats or championships or anything, i still go with kobe #2 behind LBJ... #3 and so on durant rose dwight paul... kobe has just been ridiculous this year at his age his injuries; to those who say wade is better... uhh kobe plays thru injuries while wade sits the bench, dirk who? you wouldnt ever guess the mavericks were the champs if you didnt see it for yourself last season

JordansBulls
02-05-2012, 03:39 PM

:rolleyes:

None of those guys started an allstar game when they weren't a starter on there own team.

Gagan136
02-05-2012, 04:05 PM
kobes top 3 for me

LakersMaster24
02-05-2012, 04:07 PM
Going forward when healthy, yes.

Wade doesn't have Kobes skillset but hes a better player. Skill will never trump impact, thats why Shaq was always better than Ewing despite not having his pretty jumper

Your repeating what I already said.

So in your opinion in 2 years or so Wade is going to be considered as a Top 10 player of all time? Dude, this year Kobe is taking a **** on Wade, and if you take Kobe at the age of 30 and Wade at the age of 30, Kobe trumps Wade. Are you saying Kobe doesnt have enough "impact"? Checkout Kobe's career high WS is just above 15, Wade's is around 14.

I find it extremely funny that everyone who gets paid to talk about sports (ESPN Analysts, former NBA legends, heck current players) say Kobe is Top 10 of all time easy, and that he is a Top 2 SG of All Time only behind the Goat; however some of you people here think you know EVERYTHING and say the exact opposite and expect everyone to follow your opinion.

PippensBulls
02-05-2012, 05:41 PM
I'd go ahead and toss Chris Paul and Derrick Rose in there. And you can call me a hater but frankly I'd rather have Lemarcus Aldridge on my team over Kobe as well. I think he's a better player RIGHT now.

Despite his big counting stat numbers this year I'm truly not that impressed by Kobe's play this year (the fact that he's still capable of putting up these numbers IS impressive though). There's just no way he should essentially be taking as many shots as Bynum and Gasol combined. The Lakers are struggling, and part of that HAS to be put on the me-first play we're seeing from him. Despite the solid counting stat numbers and good PER, I do think it's telling that his WinShares/WinShares48 don't crack the top 20 in the league; it is very uncommon for that to be the case in a true top 5 player.

To answer the question, ~7th. Although he's been better than Wade thus far THIS season, I would expect that to change back to last years status during the coming months/playoffs. Wade is just a more efficient, better defensive version of Kobe at this point in his career. 14 games of playing hurt ball this year isn't enough to sway me off of that opinion.

To those saying 1b to Lebron's 1a. You are flat out delusional.

before you start running away with hollow numbers, do yourself a favor and watch some of their games. gasol, for the most part, has been playing closer to the 3 point line than the hoop, and that is caused by the new (lack of) system by Brown, one that gasol admittedly said does not suit his game. yet he still averages close to his career average in FGA and usage rate under jackson. bynum meanwhile has been given the touches and it shows in career highs in FGA and usage rate.

outside of those 3, the lakers have literally nothing going for them offensively. for crying out loud, their 4th best offensive option is a 2nd round rookie. "HAS" to be put on him? please, don't make yourself look like a fool, even worse than some of these laker homers.

tredigs
02-05-2012, 06:35 PM
before you start running away with hollow numbers, do yourself a favor and watch some of their games. gasol, for the most part, has been playing closer to the 3 point line than the hoop, and that is caused by the new (lack of) system by Brown, one that gasol admittedly said does not suit his game. yet he still averages close to his career average in FGA and usage rate under jackson. bynum meanwhile has been given the touches and it shows in career highs in FGA and usage rate.

outside of those 3, the lakers have literally nothing going for them offensively. for crying out loud, their 4th best offensive option is a 2nd round rookie. "HAS" to be put on him? please, don't make yourself look like a fool, even worse than some of these laker homers.

ha dyourself a favor and don't assume I have not seen plenty of Lakers games this season; I've seen at least a dozen, and the amount of ball time that Kobe demands on every possession is ridiculous; it's no wonder his Usage% is by far the highest in the NBA and higher than any player in the last half decade. There's no excuse for that when you have the best offensive front line in the NBA and their opportunities to produce (which they can both do more efficiently than him and are nightmares for opposing D's) are nearly half of Bryant's.

Losing Lamar for paperwork obviously hurt them (as well as having weak 3 pt shooters, a lack of athleticism + a generally weak bench) and having a coach who set up an offensive system that feeds into the worst aspects of Kobe's game also hurts them (although helps his counting stats), but this team should still be a top 3 seed in having such forces at the 4/5 along with Kobe; and I do put much of the blame on him (and their coach) for not allowing them to produce at a level they're capable of. It's a similar problem that Carmelo and the Knicks have over in New York; both desperately need a true point guard to run the show and take the ball out of Melo/Kobe's hands for longer stretches of time.

Regardless of their issues, the 6 guys I mentioned are just flat out more efficient, more impactful players than Kobe. A healthy Dirk was last year as well, so we'll see how is going forward this year (had a bounce back game last outing).

MU and UW Fan
02-05-2012, 06:53 PM
No matter how much you dislike Kobe, nobody can keep him outside the top 5 without being bias.

PippensBulls
02-05-2012, 06:55 PM
for the most part, their starting lineup is doing just fine, but once the 2nd unit comes in, as shown by their individual and 5 man +/-, things start to go awry. they're only 1 1/2 games behind 2nd in the west iirc, so it's not like they're doing relatively horrendously.

Chronz
02-05-2012, 07:37 PM
So in your opinion in 2 years or so Wade is going to be considered as a Top 10 player of all time?

No one is discussing AllTime rankings here.

Dude, this year Kobe is taking a **** on Wade, and if you take Kobe at the age of 30 and Wade at the age of 30, Kobe trumps Wade. Are you saying Kobe doesnt have enough "impact"? Checkout Kobe's career high WS is just above 15, Wade's is around 14.

You continue to repeat what I have already said, Kobe has played better in this condensed season. It doesn't change my opinion because I'm not buying this being Wades level of play, ESPECIALLY come playoff time.

What Kobe did at 30 vs Wade at 30 is irrelevant here because Kobe isnt 30, not only that but Wade has only played in a limited amount of games at 30 anyways.

I find it extremely funny that everyone who gets paid to talk about sports (ESPN Analysts, former NBA legends, heck current players) say Kobe is Top 10 of all time easy, and that he is a Top 2 SG of All Time only behind the Goat; however some of you people here think you know EVERYTHING and say the exact opposite and expect everyone to follow your opinion.
Cool story broski

nickdymez
02-06-2012, 02:47 AM
234235443543th

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-06-2012, 03:00 AM
:rolleyes:

None of those guys started an allstar game when they weren't a starter on there own team.

By making that statement, you just added to Mamba's already great legacy. A 19 yr old, intriguing NBA fans around the world and slowly earning the comparisons to MJ in only his 2nd yr in the league, was voted as a STARTER on the all-star team even though one of the stupidest head coaches in NBA history, Mr. Del Harris, made Kobe the 6th man of that team in 97-98.

And imagine if Kobe was the starting 2 that year instead of Eddie Jones and got majority of the minutes...maybe the young Lakers could have defeated the Jazz that year in the WCF, and we could have very well seen your boy MJ in his last NBA Finals appearance against the young Shaq-Kobe Lakers.

Raph12
02-06-2012, 03:14 AM
1. Lebron
2. Dwight
3. CP3
4. Durant
5. Kobe

Wade is Top 3 when healthy, but has struggled so far this season...

ArmLaker
02-06-2012, 03:16 AM
If you guys don't think that Kobe is the best player in the NBA then yall are tripping, yall on that DOPE!

numba1CHANGsta
02-06-2012, 03:24 AM
1. LeBron
2. Durant/Kobe
3. D12
4. Love
5. Rose

lavilevi23
02-06-2012, 04:24 AM
LMAO @ Love at #4 ^^^ :laugh2:

Jenceman
02-06-2012, 04:35 AM
People that have him outside the top 5 are just...****ing stupid. There I said it, you are biased retards.

Greedy22
02-06-2012, 04:41 AM
How are 6 guys flat out more efficient than Kobe when he's 4th in per? Lol makes no sense at all

lavilevi23
02-06-2012, 05:29 AM
Yea w/e lol ^^

LakersMaster24
02-06-2012, 04:36 PM
So in your opinion in 2 years or so Wade is going to be considered as a Top 10 player of all time?

No one is discussing AllTime rankings here.

Dude, this year Kobe is taking a **** on Wade, and if you take Kobe at the age of 30 and Wade at the age of 30, Kobe trumps Wade. Are you saying Kobe doesnt have enough "impact"? Checkout Kobe's career high WS is just above 15, Wade's is around 14.

You continue to repeat what I have already said, Kobe has played better in this condensed season. It doesn't change my opinion because I'm not buying this being Wades level of play, ESPECIALLY come playoff time.

What Kobe did at 30 vs Wade at 30 is irrelevant here because Kobe isnt 30, not only that but Wade has only played in a limited amount of games at 30 anyways.

Cool story broski

Any argument people throw at you, you just find a way to dodge it or says its "irrelevant". Responding "Cool story broki" shows a lot about your level of maturity. Its impossible to argue with you because of your arrogant and pompous character.