PDA

View Full Version : Tim Duncan's letter to Dwight Howard.

JordansBulls
02-04-2012, 06:16 PM
http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2012/02/dwight-howard-tim-duncan-nba-letter/

Dear Dwight,

Itís me, Timmy (itís OK get the South Park jokes out now). I donít talk much publicly, but I do greatly enjoy crafting handwritten letters. However, I donít know your address and you may not even live in the same city by the time I finish so Iíll just type an email. We bigs have to stick together. Most of the media has forgotten me and embraced you as the NBAís best big man but thatís OK. Anyways, Iíve been following your celebrity trade demands through the media. Youíve been more of a diva than Aretha Franklin making lunch demands on tour with the Supremes. However, thatís part of your problem. You should follow my example. I played four years of college ball while you came straight from high school. The simple truth is that I could teach you some things.

You could have been remembered differently than these other superstars that were more worried about their Q-rating and endorsement dollars than their ring totals. Orlando is a great franchise and a classy organization. But you should know that forming a championship nucleus is like dating on E-Harmony. Sometimes you meet in person and find out the profile photo your date used was taken 20 years ago.

Eleven years ago, I nearly flew to Florida so I could sign with the Orlando Magic. To a kid from St. Croix playing in San Antonio, Orlando was a major market. I guess we can agree to disagree on that point. I didnít think David and I could win another title together because he was getting older and I was in my prime. I was supposed to be the final piece in deadly trio with Grant Hill and Tracy McGrady in addition to two lesser known players named Chauncey Billups and Ben Wallace. This was before Tracy became a perennial All-Star and future scoring champ. Unfortunately, Grantís ankles forced him to sit out 235 games over a five year span and he was never the same again. T-Mac and Hill never won a playoff series together while I won three more titles by staying in San Antonio.

You need a mentor. A slightly smaller Big Brotheró if you will. As you may know, I learned from a true professional in David Robinson. Robinson was in a position much like you are now. After spending two years in the Navy after his college basketball career ended, Robinson could have chosen to become a free agent and play in Los Angeles with Magic or Chicago with Jordan. Instead, he honored his commitment to the Spurs. He spent nine seasons with San Antonio before we won an NBA championship together. We eventually won two and heís hailed as a hero throughout Texas. He taught me everything including how to handle the NBA life, how to play the position and even which shaving gel to use. On the floor we played with military precision and discipline. You can thank Coach Pop for that.

Youíve never had these things, Dwight. You clown on Stan Van Gundy in the media and call out your teammates, but people are beginning to stop taking you seriously. Youíre too good for that. Youíre a blend of David and Hakeem ďThe DreamĒ. Iíve never watched Saturday Night Live but how youíve never hosted it is beyond me. You donít have to act like Charles Barkley for attention, though. I remember when you first came into the NBA. Tim Tebow reminds me of a young Dwight that had his head on his shoulders and had the Ten Commandments by his side. Somewhere along the road, you lost your way and ended up with a baby mama on Vh1.

I think you wanted Shaquille OíNeal to pass the cape along to you and be the Jor-El to your Superman. Unfortunately, it never happened. Instead, you two have been fighting like General Zod and Kal-El (I thought youíd appreciate the DC Comics references). Whether you realize it or not, youíre following in almost the exact same footsteps as Shaq and youíre also turning into him. After the immature way heís behaved towards you and the melodramas Shaq has been a part of, do you really want that to be your legacy? Or do you want to be remembered as me and David will be? I want to pass the torch down to you Dwight as the Elder Statesmen of Big Men.

Life is cyclical. Iím getting older and averaging career lows in points, rebounds and minutes. However, last season we were the Westís No. 1 seed and despite Manu playing only 13 minutes of basketball this month we are currently first in the Southwest. You see, I was never a DC Comics guy but I do love Terminator. Iím like a T-800 cyborg and San Antonio is my Sky-Net. All we do is win down here without all the glitz, glamor or drama. Winning the dunk contest has its perks but winning NBA championships promises immortality.

Iíll likely be signing a more cap-friendly deal in the off-season and youíre the premiere defensive player in the game. Gregg Popovich is the best defensive coach in the League. You should come to San Antonio. Tony Parker told me to ask you, ďComment Áa-va?Ē The three of us can hang out, talk basketball, go bull riding, (you can show me how to use a bench press, Iíll show you some post moves) and we can sign a few contracts. Weíd mesh well together. You can still be crazy Dwight. Youíll be the Captain Kirk to my Spock and Tony will be our Chekov but tone down the jokes.Do the Dwight thing. If you really donít want to stay in Orlando, donít go to Brooklyn, Dallas or L.A and if you donít want to talk, I guess Iíll give Andrew Bynum a call.

Sincerely, Your buddy,

Timmy ďSlamĒ Duncan

(P.S. I forgot to mention: We havenít used our amnesty clause yet because our GM R.C. Buford doesnít make bad acquisitions like Gilbert Arenas or Vince Carter so if youíd like to bring a friend, youíre more than welcome. We can make room.)

VCaintdead17
02-04-2012, 06:24 PM
So many allusions! Very well-written.

Except it wasnt written by Tim Duncan...

chicago lulz
02-04-2012, 06:31 PM
lol, good stuff.

bholly
02-04-2012, 06:35 PM
So many allusions! Very well-written.

Except it wasnt written by Tim Duncan...

lol. such wondrous powers of deduction!

Y2JOrdan
02-04-2012, 06:40 PM
Lol that's clasic

dtmagnet
02-04-2012, 06:45 PM
Thats amazing.

ESaady
02-04-2012, 06:47 PM
It's so sad that Tim Duncan is old :(

jimbobjarree
02-04-2012, 07:07 PM
was a good laugh

A bit hypocritical at the end asking him to go to San Antonio though, ruined it a little.

MTar786
02-04-2012, 07:10 PM
lol @ this. duncans writer is pretty good.

i thought ben and billups were traded for hill?
guess i was wrong
imagine the magic back then though?

billups/armstrong
tmac
hill/miller
duncan/outlaw
wallace/doleac

they would have won ringggsss
balanced attack with two superstar scorers
elite pg
and best defense in the league easily

LA_Raiders
02-04-2012, 07:33 PM
lol

Heediot
02-04-2012, 07:36 PM
lol @ this. duncans writer is pretty good.

i thought ben and billups were traded for hill?
guess i was wrong
imagine the magic back then though?

billups/armstrong
tmac
hill/miller
duncan/outlaw
wallace/doleac

they would have won ringggsss
balanced attack with two superstar scorers
elite pg
and best defense in the league easily

We would probably be talking about a Magic dynasty rather than the Spurs mini Dynasty or the Lakers' Kobe Dynasty.

smith&wesson
02-04-2012, 07:49 PM
good read.

kobes2good
02-04-2012, 07:49 PM
first I'm curious where you got this
2nd i thought it was a little to hypocritical if he hadn't asked him to come to the spurs it would have been nice
3rd duncan should not have said signing gilbert arenas is a bad acquisition lol because thats probably who dwight would have wanted to bring

The_Jamal
02-04-2012, 07:59 PM
first I'm curious where you got this
2nd i thought it was a little to hypocritical if he hadn't asked him to come to the spurs it would have been nice
3rd duncan should not have said signing gilbert arenas is a bad acquisition lol because thats probably who dwight would have wanted to bring

It's not real lol

lvlheaded
02-04-2012, 08:11 PM
I wish it was real haha

Baller1
02-04-2012, 08:29 PM
I really do wish this was real. It was incredibly well written, and true as hell.

Bulls_fan90
02-04-2012, 08:36 PM
(P.S. I forgot to mention: We haven’t used our amnesty clause yet because our GM R.C. Buford doesn’t make bad acquisitions like Gilbert Arenas or Vince Carter so if you’d like to bring a friend, you’re more than welcome. We can make room.)

This was the best part for me :laugh:

So true though..

smith&wesson
02-04-2012, 08:37 PM
by charles dunson.

AlexTmz2
02-04-2012, 08:57 PM
I love it lol! :D

sunsfan88
02-04-2012, 09:09 PM
They dont make bad acquisitionz? What about Richard Jefferson??

smith&wesson
02-04-2012, 09:26 PM
They dont make bad acquisitionz? What about Richard Jefferson??

one bad aquisition in comparison too :confused:

reshard lewis was wayyyyyy over paid by the magic.
carter was a bad aquisition.
arenas contract was even worst then lewis'
hedo trading for hedo and his 10 mill a year was terrible.

i see a pattern of mistakes being traded for even bigger mistakes.

IversonIsKrazy
02-05-2012, 03:14 AM
Jefferson was NOT a bad aquisition! R u kidding me? Yes he was disappointing, but the guy was traded for Thomas, Oberto & Bowen. Bowen retired that summer. Oberto is garbage tbh. It was like trading away Kurt for Jefferson. As disappointing as R-Jeff has been, hes still a 11ppg scorer. I think that was a good aqusition.

As for the article, I didn't quite understand, Slam just made it up as a joke or something?

Joshtd1
02-05-2012, 04:03 AM
TP/Manu/Leonard/TD/Howard :drool:

JasonJohnHorn
02-05-2012, 02:04 PM
It would be nice to see Howard in SA.

DubiousCustomer
02-05-2012, 02:14 PM
This is everyone in SA's dream. It would be a perfect fit. Pop would actualize the dynasty potential everyone sees in him. Dwight is basically the second coming of Robinson with more size and less mental toughness. He would learn some humility and win championships with Robinson and Duncan as mentors.

Instead I'd put money on him signing one of the usual magnet markets for the cash and never winning a championship.

ghettosean
02-05-2012, 02:38 PM
If your begging for Dwight Howard you can't make much of a better pitch than that.

UKblazers
02-05-2012, 03:16 PM
lol great read, i can't ever see Dwight going San Antonio though.

TRF929
02-05-2012, 05:11 PM
Do it!!!

Raph12
02-06-2012, 01:06 AM
Very well-written, only if those guys were a bit younger (TP-Manu-TD), Dwight would be the greatest compliment to that system run by Pop... Oh well, c'est la vie.

Demon11
02-06-2012, 05:37 AM
1. Obviously this is fake

2. To those saying this hypocrital, that's the point if it. The entire letter he's praising loyalty, and then he tells him to come to San Antonio. It's a parody of the NBA and its greedy nature, you can say someone is a good guy but in the end everyone is going to do what they think will make them the most money.

3. Dwight would never go to SA their players are old and that dynasty is going to an end. in 2-3 years it would just be Parker and Dwight with Parker on his way out.

Evolution23
02-06-2012, 06:00 AM
Man what a great parody article. There is so much truth to what he is saying that can be applied to Dwight. The sad part is Dwight is too much of a clown to be taken seriously even with all that talent he possesses.

Knicks21
02-06-2012, 06:21 AM
Throughout the article i though he was going to say to stay in Orlando, the last paragraph made me laugh a little.

cchrisc773
02-06-2012, 06:41 AM
Weak effort to be funny.

1. Wallace was part of the sign and trade deal for G-Hill

2. Billups never played a game for the Magic. He was a expiring contract to cut cap to go after big names. Orlando had zero interest to bring him back.

So to think Orlando would have had.

PG. Billups SG. T-MAC SF. G. Hill PF. Duncan C. Walllace

Thats total BS... If you were a true Magic fan you would know that.

Finally, D-12 wants a bigger market that is why he wants out of Orlando. San Antonio is not a big Market at all...

mike_noodles
02-06-2012, 07:45 AM
Well done, so many truths in there.

kdspurman
02-06-2012, 10:21 AM
1. Obviously this is fake

2. To those saying this hypocrital, that's the point if it. The entire letter he's praising loyalty, and then he tells him to come to San Antonio. It's a parody of the NBA and its greedy nature, you can say someone is a good guy but in the end everyone is going to do what they think will make them the most money.

3. Dwight would never go to SA their players are old and that dynasty is going to an end. in 2-3 years it would just be Parker and Dwight with Parker on his way out.

This shows your lack of knowledge lol... Duncan and Manu may be older, but they have a great young core of players that are keeping them afloat with Manu out now. Green, Neal, Splitter, and Leonard are all young guys with a bright future. They are like the 10th oldest team in the league, and that's cause of Timmy/ Manu bringing up the avg age. They still have the best FO/Coach in the league.

Granted this is fake, but if Dwight did go there, I'm sure they would make another move or 2.

davids22
02-06-2012, 03:20 PM
Great read, and make's a lot of valid points. TD would be a great mentor for Dwight. That team would definitely contend for the next 2-3 years, and providing the correct moves were made, continue to be dominant.

Too bad Shaq will do exactly as stated in the letter and go to a magnet market for the pub (that's short for publicity).

MagicHero3
02-06-2012, 03:53 PM
this i like. only if dwight would read this every night before bed...only if...

Demon11
02-06-2012, 05:32 PM
This shows your lack of knowledge lol... Duncan and Manu may be older, but they have a great young core of players that are keeping them afloat with Manu out now. Green, Neal, Splitter, and Leonard are all young guys with a bright future. They are like the 10th oldest team in the league, and that's cause of Timmy/ Manu bringing up the avg age. They still have the best FO/Coach in the league.

Granted this is fake, but if Dwight did go there, I'm sure they would make another move or 2.

Go ask Deron Williams how that whole "We'll make 1 or 2 moves and get some stars in" worked out. NO way Dwight goes to a team unless they have 1-2 other superstars there, SA's young core isn't going to cut it.

gaughan333
02-06-2012, 05:56 PM
I like that Dwight Howard has become a joke. I liked him initially, but he has gotten old (not age wise)

CudiOnMyiPod
02-06-2012, 06:11 PM
Just imagine a helathy trio of 25 year old Duncan, 25 year old Hill and 25 year old McGrady. Possibly the greatest trio of all time. You have the greatest big man ever to play who is also a top 10 player in NBA history. Grant Hill was "LeBron" as in he got you 20 plus points, 7 or 8 rebounds and 7 or 8 assists. Tracy McGrady was a superstar who many viewed as better than Kobe Bryant.

kdspurman
02-06-2012, 07:24 PM
Go ask Deron Williams how that whole "We'll make 1 or 2 moves and get some stars in" worked out. NO way Dwight goes to a team unless they have 1-2 other superstars there, SA's young core isn't going to cut it.

I get that nor do I expect Dwight to want to play there. But you saying the Spurs players are old is not accurate. SA doesn't get big stars anyway, they scout/draft well. (aside from Duncan/Robinson)

JayW_1023
02-10-2012, 08:41 AM
The Spurs are still winning with a flawed roster. Pop is COY thus far in my opinion. But he could be every year for that matter.

mynameismo
02-10-2012, 09:02 AM
If he asked Dwight to stay in Orlando at the end, I would've believed it. Very well written tho.