PDA

View Full Version : When will places such as Chicago and Miami and OKC get the allstar game again?

JordansBulls
02-04-2012, 05:43 PM
When will places such as Chicago and Miami and OKC get the allstar game again?

Last one in Chicago was 1988, Miami was 1990 and OKC (using Seattle was in 1987).
Boston hasn't had one in a long time either but they still have had it 4x.

I'm thinking of Chicago, Miami and OKC as they all have stars as well, so why haven't they had it in such a long time?

bholly
02-04-2012, 05:46 PM
I'm not sure it's about stars - it's about the city and the arena and what it can offer as a host.

I'm also not sure what answer you're looking for here - nobody can really tell you when they'll get it again.

GonRoo
02-04-2012, 05:48 PM
Having the All Star game in Miami would be a joke.

Miami has the worst fan base in the entire league.

D12 fan
02-04-2012, 05:58 PM
Chicago weather is pretty bad in Feb,plus its always windy,I think that is a terrible mix to host party's and events outside,that's what allstar weekend is really about anyway.

ThunderousDemon
02-04-2012, 06:08 PM
Miami isn't really a basketball city, the Heat don't even sell out as they should with those players on a regular basis.

Rego247
02-04-2012, 06:21 PM
OKC would be sick. They have a great fan base there.

I'd also like to see it in Toronto at some point.

Slug3
02-04-2012, 06:27 PM
I am not sure why you all say Miami doesnt sell out..... because they do every single game. They even help sellout other arenas. Its just the local Miami fans dont show up till later on in the game.

masTOR_shake1
02-04-2012, 06:38 PM
:facepalm: everygame in those cities is an all-star game. **** the nba.

theheatles
02-04-2012, 07:07 PM
Miami would be the best hands down...Chicago would be great hosts as well because they have amazing hotels and accommodations, but the weather could be brutal in february...OKC would be an awful city, top 3 worst cities to host an all star game, tiny in population, weather could be bad, not a lot of hotels, not enough upscale venues (hotels, restaurants, gentlemens clubs) and it's ****ing Oklahoma...ppl don't want to travel there, players don't want to spend their all star break in OKC, fans that pay to go to all star games and travel to them don't want to go there

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-04-2012, 07:56 PM
NBA has been too repetitive in their localities.

In 2000, they have it in Oakland, CA. And then in 2004 they have it in LA, and then 7 yrs later in LA again.

In 2006 they have it in Houston and next yr in 2013 they're having it in Houston again.

Miami, OKC, Chicago and even NY (MSG) needs to have it again. That '98 All-star game at MSG with MJ's last prime season and young Kobe was classic!

Robbw241
02-04-2012, 07:59 PM
Barclays should have it soon.

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-04-2012, 08:04 PM
Barclays should have it soon.

Yeah I heard it'll be between Barclays and the newly renovated MSG for 2014.

h2r09
02-04-2012, 08:46 PM
miami will never have it. there is no space next to the arena and the traffic situation would be awful. I think i also remember micky arisen saying an all star game won't happen here

topdog
02-04-2012, 08:52 PM
If Minneapolis rennovates Target Center, it would be cool to have it in MinnySnota again. Or perhaps if a new Vikings stadium gets built they could use that...

LakersIn5
02-04-2012, 09:40 PM
ask stern

smith&wesson
02-04-2012, 09:58 PM
:clap:WHEN TORONTO GETS A TURN

Fnom11
02-04-2012, 10:09 PM
I like how every time you come up with a new thread you post it on multiple forum sites.

gotoHcarolina52
02-04-2012, 10:48 PM
South Florida would make a great host, just look at the success it's had hosting more Super Bowls than any other region in the country.

TubbyBucket
02-05-2012, 12:24 AM
No offense to Miami residents, but that's one ugly city :p

Evolution23
02-05-2012, 05:37 AM
Wouldn't mind seeing OKC or Chicago but don't ask me about Miami. Their "fans" won't even show up.

naps
02-05-2012, 06:01 AM
Miami isn't really a basketball city, the Heat don't even sell out as they should with those players on a regular basis.

Dude, just STFU! They are sold out for every single game. Stop being jealous like dumped girls.

NoahH
02-05-2012, 06:13 AM
They keep giving it to the same cities and idk why

Fnom11
02-05-2012, 06:18 AM
Dude, just STFU! They are sold out for every single game. Stop being jealous like dumped girls.

Yeah somehow people forget that they've been sold out since before this season even started for every single game.

xfyre
02-05-2012, 07:13 AM
Wouldn't mind seeing OKC or Chicago but don't ask me about Miami. Their "fans" won't even show up.

Having the All Star game in Miami would be a joke.

Miami has the worst fan base in the entire league.

are you guys fuking ********?? :facepalm:

have you ever even been to a HEAT game? the arena gets packed! not to mentioned they been sold out for every game before the season even starts..sometimes PSD posters just post **** out of their ***

MVP1
02-05-2012, 01:37 PM
It needs to be in Toronto.

Cubby
02-05-2012, 02:19 PM
are you guys fuking ********?? :facepalm:

have you ever even been to a HEAT game? the arena gets packed! not to mentioned they been sold out for every game before the season even starts..sometimes PSD posters just post **** out of their ***

Just because they sold the tickets beforehand doesn't mean the people actually go. Others have a legitimate case for believing they don't sellout because the arena is not packed, no matter how badly you want it to be. Stop being a child.

Also, get off your high stool please. Stop fully capitalizing the word Heat. It's annoying and you're no better than anyone else.

chitown815
02-05-2012, 02:49 PM
They show up fine, their stadium capacity is only 19600, and they are getting plenty of SRO, http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-05-2012, 03:26 PM
Just because they sold the tickets beforehand doesn't mean the people actually go. Others have a legitimate case for believing they don't sellout because the arena is not packed, no matter how badly you want it to be. Stop being a child.

Also, get off your high stool please. Stop fully capitalizing the word Heat. It's annoying and you're no better than anyone else.

:laugh2: Yeah, I never really understood this whole business of capitalizing the word "Heat".

Bang Bros89
02-05-2012, 03:47 PM
All Star weekend is for the players and fans. It should be in a place where players actually want to go, seeing how the weekend is a celebration for them. I can't imagine players want to spend a weekend in OKC , or Minny, or other certain cities.

I don't see why it isn't in Miami more often, and for those "hating" on Miami, get over it. Miami has great weather, a bunch of clubs these players like, the fans may be ******, but its a good party place. (Knicks/Jet fan living in Miami).

Its not like people don't come from all over the country to go to these events. And heat sell out just about every game. They may be bandwagon fans, but they do love them some Bron and Wade.

xfyre
02-05-2012, 06:28 PM

lol, thats funny coming from a Bulls fan living in Cali.. you have no idea what you're talking about.

also, not only are you talking out of your ***, when i bet you've never even been to the triple A arena to see if it gets packed or not, but it seems you have no clue about the HEAT team at all..im not capitalizing the letters because i woke up one day and decided to do it, but because thats how the owners of the team decided to do it.

for reference go here : http://www.nba.com/heat/ and see for yourself

furthermore, HEAT isn't the only team to have capitalized names..look at JAZZ for instance

LA_Raiders
02-05-2012, 06:52 PM
I wonder what are the rules or procedures behind picking and All-Star Game City?

Its all about the $$$ for Stern...

wolf15walk
02-06-2012, 02:00 AM
lol their are a couple cities ahead of those that you mention that should be complaining about not hosting the All star game. Boston hasn't had a all star game in almost 50 years (1964) Detroit hasn't had one since 1979 and Milwaukee hasn't had one since 1977. I know stern hates Milwaukee, but I'm really shocked about the Boston one.

John Walls Era
02-06-2012, 02:40 AM
Definitely Miami and Chicago should get one.

JordansBulls
02-08-2012, 05:40 PM
San Antonio hasn't had one since Duncan has been around. Should have had one by now. I think any place should have an allstar game when that team has an elite top tier player in the league in there prime. Orlando now has Dwight so this year makes sense. Last year the Lakers had Kobe and in 2004 they had Shaq and Kobe. 2006 the Rockets had Tmac. 2002 had Iverson, 1988 had MJ in Chicago, 1989 had Hakeem in Houston, 1995 had Barkley in Phoenix, 1993 had Malone/Stockton in Utah, 2008 had CP3 in NOLA, Dirk in Dallas in 2010.

Bob_at_york
02-08-2012, 05:43 PM
Toronto would also love to host an allstar game but the weather is holding us back too.

topdog
02-08-2012, 06:13 PM
All Star weekend is for the players and fans. It should be in a place where players actually want to go, seeing how the weekend is a celebration for them. I can't imagine players want to spend a weekend in OKC , or Minny, or other certain cities.

I don't see why it isn't in Miami more often, and for those "hating" on Miami, get over it. Miami has great weather, a bunch of clubs these players like, the fans may be ******, but its a good party place. (Knicks/Jet fan living in Miami).

Its not like people don't come from all over the country to go to these events. And heat sell out just about every game. They may be bandwagon fans, but they do love them some Bron and Wade.

The game is primarily about fans. As such, the best way to choose a venue is to 1. bring the game to a variety of different fanbases 2. use this "ambassador" game to attract new fans by targeting markets that have potential for growth (if the ASG is coming to town, it's on the news and EVERYBODY wants to see what the spectacle is about)

Finally, I always love when people try to attact cities like all there is to do in them is drink a beer or tip a cow. Minneapolis/Minnesota has a bunch of popular bars/clubs, a professional sports culture (Hockey, Football, Baseball, Lacrosse), shopping - MOA, a giant indoor waterpark, ect. Logistically, it also has a very good public transportation system and walkways that connect most of downtown Minneapolis (so you don't have to walk outside).