PDA

View Full Version : Which player is the best at making his teammates better?

Corey
02-04-2012, 05:25 PM
Easy question, not so easy answer.

What do you think?

Heediot
02-04-2012, 05:29 PM
Paul. Not only his ability to find easy shots for his teammates, but his leadership can be only be matched by a select few. Even Billups a guy renowned for his leadership is yielding to Paul as the vocal leader and heart of the team. I would say only Nash and maybe Rondo can give his teammates the same looks or slightly better/worse ones. The latter being more controversial. The jury is still out on Rubio, he has looked great in relation to giving his mates looks so far but in my view the sample size is too small.

BigBongTheory
02-04-2012, 05:34 PM
Derek Fisher

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-04-2012, 05:35 PM
kobe and lebron

Corey
02-04-2012, 05:39 PM
I think it's Paul for what he did with New Orleans.

Steve Nash could get consideration as well.

Birdmannn
02-04-2012, 05:41 PM
Rose. Not only by his play but his leadership and his work ethic make his team mates play that much better.

BigBongTheory
02-04-2012, 05:42 PM
It's not an easy answer, it's all about opinion. Paul, Deron, Nash, Rondo, Rubio, Calderon, Lowry is the bulk of them. Calderon and Rubio are 1st and 2nd in the league in assists, and Nash leads the league in APG, I'd say at the top are Nash and Paul, Nash gets everyone involved and can score 28 points on 10 shot attempts on any given night.

heyman321
02-04-2012, 05:43 PM
Easy. Lebron. He draws so much attention that his teammates will get wide open, and he can pass as good as most point guards, if not better than most.

5ass
02-04-2012, 05:44 PM
Chris paul

Birdmannn
02-04-2012, 05:45 PM
I think it's Paul for what he did with New Orleans.

Steve Nash could get consideration as well.

In no way am I arguing with you because I have said this very thing before, but do you believe its only Paul?
Butler, Billups and Williams bring a lot to this team and Jordans play and hustle every night is another factor. A friend of mine brought this question up to me.
I had to agree its not all Paul but he is that middle piece to put it all together.

pacersfan1967
02-04-2012, 05:50 PM
David west.....

The_Jamal
02-04-2012, 05:50 PM
I like LeBron here as well. Everyone saw the Cavs last year which was virtually the same team- LeBron. He draws so much attention and is such a good willing passer that he can make decent players (Mo Williams) look like all-stars and scrubs into solid rotational players.

Paul isn't a bad choice either

Yanks All Day
02-04-2012, 05:52 PM
Chris Paul for what he did in New Orleans.
Steve Nash for making the Suns players look better than they should be.
LeBron James for what he did to the scrubs Cleveland surrounded him with. Just because he's on a good team now doesn't mean he still doesn't make everyone better.

Those are my top 3, in no particular order. Undeniably make mediocre/bad teammates look serviceable/good consistently.

5ass
02-04-2012, 06:03 PM
In no way am I arguing with you because I have said this very thing before, but do you believe its only Paul?
Butler, Billups and Williams bring a lot to this team and Jordans play and hustle every night is another factor. A friend of mine brought this question up to me.
I had to agree its not all Paul but he is that middle piece to put it all together.

ur answer to his question is rose, and the same can be said about his team.
Deng, Boozer and their deep bench bring a lot to this team. Not to mention Noah's hustle every night, and they have a great coach (more than can be said about del negro) that emphasizes hustle and defense.

Lakerhead4ever
02-04-2012, 06:04 PM
Tim Duncan, Kobe. Their the only ones who Won rings consecutively. Lebron and Chris Paul have failed so far. And I'm not knocking then because they are great players. But if u never win a ring no one remembers the cast you made better.

hugepatsfan
02-04-2012, 06:04 PM
The top 3 are easily Lebron, CP3, and Nash.

Ordering them is the tough part IMO.

SlimKid
02-04-2012, 06:06 PM
Tough question to answer.. My gut wanted to go with a pg like Paul or Nash, but it's hard to not consider Lebron.. He's such a nightmare to defend, his teammates always get good looks.. Toss up

HouRealCoach
02-04-2012, 06:09 PM
Chris Paul, Deron Williams, & Steve Nash

Easy... Kobe should not be in the discussion

Chronz
02-04-2012, 06:09 PM
Ive been working on this thread for years but if anyone thinks they have an answer I challenge anyone to name the guy and the teammates hes made better

shep33
02-04-2012, 06:11 PM
Steve Nash has to be up there

He's made Channing Frye, Gortat, Marion and STAT better IMO

Lakerhead4ever
02-04-2012, 06:12 PM
Tim Duncan, Kobe. Their the only ones who Won rings consecutively. Lebron and Chris Paul have failed so far. And I'm not knocking then because they are great players. But if u never win a ring no one remembers the cast you made better.

OptiMized
02-04-2012, 06:13 PM
Steve "get me outta here" Nash

JLynn943
02-04-2012, 06:34 PM
Steve Nash. The fact that the current Suns roster wins any games and that the Suns managed to somehow make the WCF 2 years ago is a testament to this.

shep33
02-04-2012, 06:36 PM
I'll mention someone that may surprise people... Kevin Garnett. I think he makes everyone on his team so much better defensively

dtmagnet
02-04-2012, 06:39 PM
Easy answer, Steve Nash.

Sly Guy
02-04-2012, 06:52 PM
Paul. Not only his ability to find easy shots for his teammates, but his leadership can be only be matched by a select few. Even Billups a guy renowned for his leadership is yielding to Paul as the vocal leader and heart of the team. I would say only Nash and maybe Rondo can give his teammates the same looks or slightly better/worse ones. The latter being more controversial. The jury is still out on Rubio, he has looked great in relation to giving his mates looks so far but in my view the sample size is too small.

I agree with all of this.

Hawkeye15
02-04-2012, 06:52 PM
Its nearly impossible to quantify, but my eye test tells me Paul, Nash, and LeBron, in order.

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-04-2012, 06:54 PM
Steve Nash has to be THEE TOP ANSWER when asking a question like this.

Cfrey
02-04-2012, 06:57 PM
lebron and its not even close

MTar786
02-04-2012, 06:59 PM
lebron, then paul, then nash then kobe then rubio :)

Hawkeye15
02-04-2012, 07:01 PM
lebron, then paul, then nash then kobe then rubio :)

I can't imagine Rubio won't be a leader in this question in 2 years.

dodgersuck
02-04-2012, 07:04 PM
Nash

Sactown
02-04-2012, 07:10 PM
Its nearly impossible to quantify, but my eye test tells me Paul, Nash, and LeBron, in order.

I think you are right about which players make their teammates look better by giving them open looks

Who actually makes them better? Kobe Bryant? Kevin Durant? It can't imagine Kobe being easy on guys in practice and I think KD sets the tone with his hard work ethic.. that's just me

amos1er
02-04-2012, 07:12 PM
Easy. Lebron. He draws so much attention that his teammates will get wide open, and he can pass as good as most point guards, if not better than most.

Not by a long shot bro. Every player Lebron has played with has seen a significant reduction in stats at the expense of boosting his own. Wade now has less ppg assists and rebounds, Bosh has less ppg assists and rebounds, Mo Williams had less ppg and assists, Big Z had career lows in rebounding since teaming up with the "King"....this is of course so he could boast more triple doubles because he couldn't compete with Kobe and Wade scoring wise. Lebron sacrifices team success for personal stats and the team would get these stats as a team, but Lebron wants them for him self, so he must do more than is expected of him so that he is the one getting all the stats. As a result, his team is demoralized and he is wiped out during crunch time in the fourth quarter....thats why he can't get the job done. If Lebron spent as much time as he worrying about how to finally win a ring as he does on his stat sheet, he would haver gotten the job done by now.

wmudford
02-04-2012, 07:18 PM
Chris Paul for what he did in New Orleans.
Steve Nash for making the Suns players look better than they should be.
LeBron James for what he did to the scrubs Cleveland surrounded him with. Just because he's on a good team now doesn't mean he still doesn't make everyone better.

Those are my top 3, in no particular order. Undeniably make mediocre/bad teammates look serviceable/good consistently.

This

gotoHcarolina52
02-04-2012, 07:28 PM
LeBron James

wmudford
02-04-2012, 07:30 PM
Not by a long shot bro. Every player Lebron has played with has seen a significant reduction in stats at the expense of boosting his own. Wade now has less ppg assists and rebounds, Bosh has less ppg assists and rebounds, Mo Williams had less ppg and assists, Big Z had career lows in rebounding since teaming up with the "King"....this is of course so he could boast more triple doubles because he couldn't compete with Kobe and Wade scoring wise. Lebron sacrifices team success for personal stats and the team would get these stats as a team, but Lebron wants them for him self, so he must do more than is expected of him so that he is the one getting all the stats. As a result, his team is demoralized and he is wiped out during crunch time in the fourth quarter....thats why he can't get the job done. If Lebron spent as much time as he worrying about how to finally win a ring as he does on his stat sheet, he would haver gotten the job done by now.

Yeah since the Heat and Cavs have had such terrible records with him. Your argument is dumb. Why put the ball in someone else's hands when Lebron can do it better. If your the coach do you say "Oh LBJ your hogging all the stats, give it to Joel Anthony"? No. Even tho sometime Lebron does because he plays unselfish.

Bruno
02-04-2012, 07:31 PM
offensively, Paul/Nash.

Bruno
02-04-2012, 07:31 PM
Ive been working on this thread for years but if anyone thinks they have an answer I challenge anyone to name the guy and the teammates hes made better

please expand.

TheNumber37
02-04-2012, 07:33 PM
Paul.
Billups (look what he's did for the Pistons, Nuggets and Yes, the Clippers)
Kidd.
Nash.

amos1er
02-04-2012, 07:38 PM
Yeah since the Heat and Cavs have had such terrible records with him. Your argument is dumb. Why put the ball in someone else's hands when Lebron can do it better. If your the coach do you say "Oh LBJ your hogging all the stats, give it to Joel Anthony"? No. Even tho sometime Lebron does because he plays unselfish.

If Lebron is so good at making his teammates better, how come he can't even get the one seed in the east with two top ten players as his running mates. I'd say that Rose, Durant are waaaay better because they are both one seeds and don't have two hall of famers for wing men. Just goes to prove that Lebron is more about stats than winning.

SteveNash
02-04-2012, 07:51 PM
I think I'll still go with Billups.

To many of the players listed hog the ball too much and make their teammates overly reliant on them. They may put up better stats, but they're not actually better players.

Billups is a teacher.

kblo247
02-04-2012, 08:43 PM
5 rings, 7 finals as the primary facilitator of every team, main defender of all but one team, and 1b scorer at worst who averaged 1st option numbers.

Proof is in the pudding. Shaq, Pau, Odom, Mihm, and Kwame had their greatest efficency with him while getting their same shot attempts. Guys like Atkins and Caron had career years with him at the time. Scrubs like Cook, Smush, Luke, and so on all got deals off of him. Hell look at Ariza. Even Derek fisher's numbers jumped across the board returning to Kobe in 07.

The fact is three things happen generally. People experience efficency they aren't used to. They win more than they do without him. They marvel at his work ethic

kblo247
02-04-2012, 08:46 PM
I think you are right about which players make their teammates look better by giving them open looks

Who actually makes them better? Kobe Bryant? Kevin Durant? It can't imagine Kobe being easy on guys in practice and I think KD sets the tone with his hard work ethic.. that's just me

Practice is one of the reasons Kobe went to Germany for the experimental surgery. Kobe said watching practice from the sideline killed him last year as Pau and Andrew played against one another and were letting the other score and talking about how good the others moves were, and it pissed him off because everyone knows how he and Derek ran practice

sunsfan88
02-04-2012, 08:54 PM
Steve Nash. Without him, nobody on this team (other than Gortat) would even hit double figures in points.

I like Chris Paul too.

A guy no one is giving credit to is Jose Calderon. Pretty underrated.

Robbw241
02-04-2012, 08:55 PM
Kidd!

smith&wesson
02-04-2012, 09:22 PM
i think it was nash. and now its paul.

alot of players are known to have looked much better then they actually were while playing with nash.