PDA

View Full Version : Who Is The Best Power Forward In The League?

JasonJohnHorn
02-04-2012, 09:52 AM
When it comes to picking the best players at each position, it's pretty easy right now. Dwight is the best center, LBJ is the best SF, and shooting guard is really a coin toss between D-Wade and Kobe while the PG is a coin toss between Rose and CP3. But there is some real depth at the PF spot and there could be a case made for several players. So who do you think it the best PF in the league?

abe_froman
02-04-2012, 10:00 AM
kevin love

theheatles
02-04-2012, 10:06 AM
Lma #1

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-04-2012, 10:11 AM
love

JasonJohnHorn
02-04-2012, 10:11 AM
kevin love

This.

For me it's Love because of his monster rebounding (he leads all forward in rebounding), his offensive game, that not only includes strong post play, but also great range that spreads the floor, and while he defence may not be where Duncan or Garnett are, he doesn't mind taking the charge and he puts out an honest effort at both ends of the floor. He's getting a steal a game, and usually gets a block once every two games, which though not impressive, still is ahead of a lot of other forwards.

For me it is a two man contest between Blake and Love, but Bosh has a solid game and his offensive numbers take a hit because he shares the ball with LBJ and Wade, but bottom line, Bosh is not the rebounder that Blake and Love are. Boozer is also underrated, he's numbers are taking a hit because the Bulls ffront court is deep and the coach rotates everybody in, so Boozer is only getting a little less than 30 minutes per game, but Boozer's per-36 minute numbers are strong, and like Bosh his offensive numbers take a hit because there are so many offensive weapons on the Bulls roster.

LMA is also up there for me, but just not as high up there are Love and Griffen, though LMA deserves as much love as almost anybody on the list.

kobebabe
02-04-2012, 10:27 AM
When it comes to picking the best players at each position, it's pretty easy right now. Dwight is the best center, LBJ is the best SF, and shooting guard is really a coin toss between D-Wade and Kobe while the PG is a coin toss between Rose and CP3. But there is some real depth at the PF spot and there could be a case made for several players. So who do you think it the best PF in the league?

Are you serious?

iliketurtles24
02-04-2012, 10:31 AM
love, on a bad night still goes for 20-10

sager729
02-04-2012, 10:36 AM
Yeah you would have to go with Love based on the numbers. It is going to be so fun to watch him and Blake for the next 10 years.

metsfanssince05
02-04-2012, 10:37 AM
Kevin Love AINEC

dwadefan03
02-04-2012, 10:56 AM
Shooting guard is not a coin toss, Wade has been better than Kobe for a while now. And Chris Paul is so much better than Drose its ridiculous

JasonJohnHorn
02-04-2012, 10:58 AM
Are you serious?

I'd give it to Kobe myself, but if somebody could make an argument for Wade, his injury has slowed him a bit, but he's still among the best SG in the league.

JasonJohnHorn
02-04-2012, 11:00 AM
Why did i put bargnani on the list!!!! Two fools already voted for him!!! Smh!!!!!!!!!!!!

JasonJohnHorn
02-04-2012, 11:09 AM
Shooting guard is not a coin toss, Wade has been better than Kobe for a while now. And Chris Paul is so much better than Drose its ridiculous

Maybe you haven't look at the numbers this year, but Kobe is leading the league in scoring, has about 10 points more a game than Wade, more rebounds, more assists, better 3PT% and FT% and their FG% is pretty much equal. The only thing Wade is ahead on is steals and blocks, and since he's missed so many games due to injury, I think pretty much 95% of fans (that it the 95% of fans that don't live in Miami) would say Kobe is playing better basketball than Wade right now.

One-on-one, in a series, I'd rather have Kobe this year than Wade. I was saying it was a coin toss to avoid offending Heat fans, but clearly that wasn't enough of a compliment to Wade. He seriously isn't even in the conversation wiht Kobe this season as far as I'm concerned.

As for PG: D-Rose is the reignign MVP. His team has a better record than the Clippers. His scoring average is higher. His rebounds are higher. His blocks are higher. CP3 has more steals, more assists and higher FG%. That all said, I'd say its a coin toss. These two players are amazing and its like splitting hairs. They are very different players, but they are equals. I'd personally take CP3 over D-Rose, because I like a PG that looks to pass first, but lets face it, D-Rose is as good as good as any PG in the league and some would argue as good as ANYBODY in the league. I stand by what I said.

gwrighter
02-04-2012, 11:09 AM
Why did i put bargnani on the list!!!! Two fools already voted for him!!! Smh!!!!!!!!!!!!

Raptor fans unite!! lol

blahblahyoutoo
02-04-2012, 11:14 AM
i'd pick love almost on his rebounding alone. on the offensive glass, it's basically +2 points.
plus he can really spread the floor with his 3 pt shooting.

Deezy3
02-04-2012, 11:34 AM
Wow. Of course no respect shown to Zach Randolph. Not even in the list.

JJ_JKidd
02-04-2012, 11:39 AM
Love.... Because he said so... SMH

Corey
02-04-2012, 11:42 AM
Tossup between Aldridge and Love.

Ive had Aldridge at #1 all year, but I like Love as a player more.

Jint.
02-04-2012, 12:07 PM
K Love

tredigs
02-04-2012, 12:29 PM
Maybe you haven't look at the numbers this year, but Kobe is leading the league in scoring, has about 10 points more a game than Wade, more rebounds, more assists, better 3PT% and FT% and their FG% is pretty much equal. The only thing Wade is ahead on is steals and blocks, and since he's missed so many games due to injury, I think pretty much 95% of fans (that it the 95% of fans that don't live in Miami) would say Kobe is playing better basketball than Wade right now.

One-on-one, in a series, I'd rather have Kobe this year than Wade. I was saying it was a coin toss to avoid offending Heat fans, but clearly that wasn't enough of a compliment to Wade. He seriously isn't even in the conversation wiht Kobe this season as far as I'm concerned.

As for PG: D-Rose is the reignign MVP. His team has a better record than the Clippers. His scoring average is higher. His rebounds are higher. His blocks are higher. Rose has more steals, more assists and higher FG%. That all said, I'd say its a coin toss. These two players are amazing and its like splitting hairs. They are very different players, but they are equals. I'd personally take CP3 over D-Rose, because I like a PG that looks to pass first, but lets face it, D-Rose is as good as good as any PG in the league and some would argue as good as ANYBODY in the league. I stand by what I said.

Dude, at least know what you're talking about a LITTLE before you make declarative comments, c'mon now. Cp3's %'s take a Cleveland Steamer on Rose's (best of all pg's, ), as do his steals per game (2nd in NBA) and Assists, assists/to ratio (best in NBA), PER (2nd in NBA) and WS/48 (2nd in NBA). Rebounds are the same. But I should give you some credit, he does shoot/score more points and block more shots at 0.7 a game.

Anywayy, wasn't this a PF thread? Seems like unnecessary noise to list all the other players positions who people are going to argue much more vehemently.

Love is the best statistically, Blake is the one I'd rather take on my team going forward, and I think LMA is currently a slight bit better than both if you're on a contender.

Slimsim
02-04-2012, 12:44 PM
love

SlimKid
02-04-2012, 12:53 PM
Bargs has 5 votes?? I know he's played a lot better this year, but wow!

I would of thought LMA would have more votes, I voted Love, but would pick LMA second.

Avenged
02-04-2012, 01:00 PM
Love. Followed by Aldridge, then Blake Griffin.

The 2 best PF's the past few seasons have fallen off this season , Dirk & Pau. :sigh:

JasonJohnHorn
02-04-2012, 01:05 PM
Dude, at least know what you're talking about a LITTLE before you make declarative comments, c'mon now. Cp3's %'s take a Cleveland Steamer on Rose's (best of all pg's, ), as do his steals per game (2nd in NBA) and Assists, assists/to ratio (best in NBA), PER (2nd in NBA) and WS/48 (2nd in NBA). Rebounds are the same. But I should give you some credit, he does shoot/score more points and block more shots at 0.7 a game. .

I accidently put Rose's name in the front of one sentence instead of CP3. My bad.

JasonJohnHorn
02-04-2012, 01:07 PM
Bargs has 5 votes?? I know he's played a lot better this year, but wow!

I would of thought LMA would have more votes, I voted Love, but would pick LMA second.

I cant believe Bargnani has more votes than Blake Griffen. JHC! Where are the Clippers fans today?

mrtrey1992
02-04-2012, 01:18 PM
yall so disrespectful lamarcus aldridge is the best power forward all around game enough said

tredigs
02-04-2012, 01:22 PM
I accidently put Rose's name in the front of one sentence instead of CP3. My bad.

Oh ok my bad then I could have noticed that was what the problem was.

PF definitely is not a clear cut position though. If Dirk returns to form (which I think he will for the most part), then he's right back in the running as #1 PF and top 4-7 player. Pau's been off a bit as well but the situation with that offense, the failed trade and Kobe's one man show cannot be easy to play with. Bosh has been great as well, especially with Wade out we get to see just what a force he is.

I don't know that there is a best. There's no top 5 player there that is for sure.

Hustlenomics
02-04-2012, 01:24 PM
sorry but what Dirk did against the Heat shouldnt be forgotten so quickly

shep33
02-04-2012, 01:26 PM
Blatche

avrpatsfan
02-04-2012, 01:29 PM
Love and it's not even close.

kdspurman
02-04-2012, 01:37 PM

That was last year... He's looked like a bum this year (up until last night). While his numbers aren't terrible, they're well below his averages, and other guys are out-performing him.

DR_1
02-04-2012, 01:54 PM
Love or Dirk. Dirk has played terrible so far this year, but it's too early to write him off, I still can't forget how he torched the Heat in the Finals. So Dirk for now, with Love hot on his heels.

Hawkeye15
02-04-2012, 01:56 PM

Because that was last year.

Its Kevin Love, followed closely by LMA for me. 25/13 are ridiculous numbers and with the Wolves actually in the playoff race, the "he only gets numbers on a terrible team" excuse is gone.

LA_Raiders
02-04-2012, 02:17 PM
Gasol, Love

CHANGO
02-04-2012, 02:19 PM
IMO
Love
Griffin
Bosh
Lamarcus

John Walls Era
02-04-2012, 02:21 PM
I dunno if I can put LMA that high. Hes done nothing that guys before him (who put the up the same #s) haven't done and those guys weren't even ranked as a top 3 PF. I guess I'll go with Love (default pick) since Dirk and Gasol are having slow years.

JordansBulls
02-04-2012, 02:25 PM
And Chris Paul is so much better than Drose its ridiculous

:laugh2:

That he had to get traded to do anything. His teammate David West is playing great in Indiana and have a better record than the Clippers who have much more talent. CP3 has another allstar starter, while Rose has yet to even have another allstar and yet led his team to the best record in the league and won mvp by a landslide.

JordansBulls
02-04-2012, 02:26 PM

:nod:

20 games in the regular season doesn't change anything. Full season does.

willabeast77
02-04-2012, 02:34 PM
It's been Kevin Love this season, regardless of the team's record, then Blake Griffin. Lamarcus Aldrige is overrated atm and it would be a shame to see this guy in the ASG

Cfrey
02-04-2012, 02:43 PM
It's Kevin Love and its not even close.

I can only imagine if he was as flashy as Blake Griffin because then this guy would be talked about as one of the best PFs the game has seen....

But because he is a slow white guy he doesn't get nearly as much look. Casual fans like to see the highlights but its the real basketball fans who appreciate his game and understand what this dude does on a nightly basis. Its ridiculous.

Cfrey
02-04-2012, 02:44 PM
And the fact that Barnangi has 7 votes makes me wanna puke.

5ass
02-04-2012, 02:53 PM
there are no great defenders at the PF position anymore

Shlumpledink
02-04-2012, 03:10 PM
LMA, because love is a liability on defense, and lma is not.

Cfrey
02-04-2012, 03:15 PM
Love isn't a liability on D. I guarantee you're just one of those guys who've heard that Love isn't the best on D and you're just saying that since its what you've heard..

Instead of actually watching him play. And I'm not saying he's a great defender but he's a lot better than how he's perceived.

topdog
02-04-2012, 03:18 PM
Wow. Of course no respect shown to Zach Randolph. Not even in the list.

Z-BO is pretty much out for the season. So, unless you think a one-legged Randolph is the best power forward right now, it makes sense that he's not on the list.

tredigs
02-04-2012, 03:19 PM

That he had to get traded to do anything. His teammate David West is playing great in Indiana and have a better record than the Clippers who have much more talent. CP3 has another allstar starter, while Rose has yet to even have another allstar and yet led his team to the best record in the league and won mvp by a landslide.

Yeah not buying any of these arguments; Had to get traded to do anything?? The guy who consistently took mediocre casts to far better records than any other point could have by running the show and regularly leading the league or damn near it in assists (and assists/to ratio), steals, WinShares, PER, etc. And continuously stepping up his offensive production in the playoffs and/or end of games when the game dictates it.

David West is playing fine, but he's got averaging his lowest points per game and lowest fg% of his career. And Indiana has a ton of talent on top of much more continuity; they have a better starting center and small forward and I'd take Paul George over Billups as well. No slouches playing point or PF either - not to mention a far better coach. Pacers have the same amount as losses as Miami and Chicago - that's a very, very good team.

With all that Cp3 is still leading them to a top 3 seed in the West and is decidedly better than Rose statistically. As awesome as D. Rose is, from an eye test standpoint I personally don't think it's very close; Paul just has a command of the game and every situation that is better than every other player in the league period.

This is a good PF debate.

Corey
02-04-2012, 03:27 PM
I cant believe LMA isnt getting any Love..

...see what I did there..

ryguy2k7
02-04-2012, 03:30 PM
Love. Hands down. The voting isn't even close.

ChiSox219
02-04-2012, 03:30 PM
Anyone saying "it's Love and not even close" is kidding themselves.

JRisdabest
02-04-2012, 03:53 PM
blake

Chronz
02-04-2012, 03:54 PM
And Chris Paul is so much better than Drose its ridiculous

David West played even better with CP3 so who cares? He got traded and revived a franchise that unlike Roses Bulls have no kind of playoff experience together.

Being the MVP didn't prevent alot of players from being superior to Rose just like it has throughout its history so your only weakening your case.

Chronz
02-04-2012, 03:58 PM

Because that was last year.

Its Kevin Love, followed closely by LMA for me. 25/13 are ridiculous numbers and with the Wolves actually in the playoff race, the "he only gets numbers on a terrible team" excuse is gone.
Last year? You mean a few months ago? LOL at you acting like its a distant memory, Al Harrington/Bargs are having a great years, should we put them ahead of Dirk too?

This still belongs to Dirk till hes no longer the playoff performer hes proven to be, Pau has a legit argument, then you got the young 3.

Chronz
02-04-2012, 04:01 PM
It's Kevin Love and its not even close.

I can only imagine if he was as flashy as Blake Griffin because then this guy would be talked about as one of the best PFs the game has seen....

But because he is a slow white guy he doesn't get nearly as much look. Casual fans like to see the highlights but its the real basketball fans who appreciate his game and understand what this dude does on a nightly basis. Its ridiculous.
Slow? You sound like one of those fans your criticizing. He was lauded for his footspeed in the lane drills. Hes not a leaper and hes not Blake but hes not slow.

Hawkeye15
02-04-2012, 04:13 PM
Last year? You mean a few months ago? LOL at you acting like its a distant memory, Al Harrington/Bargs are having a great years, should we put them ahead of Dirk too?

This still belongs to Dirk till hes no longer the playoff performer hes proven to be, Pau has a legit argument, then you got the young 3.

It was last season, yes. I personally judge season to season, and Dirk decided to come in out of shape and his performance has gone down. At the 20-22 game mark of THIS season, Love has outperformed all other PF's.

I am not into giving players slack for past performance, no matter how recent. You are as good as your current level of play at any given time. If the question were worded, "Who is the best PF of the last 10 years, or 5 years?", I change my answer. But I look at it as the best PF currently, meaning this season.

Algmuskrats
02-04-2012, 04:15 PM
Love.

Heediot
02-04-2012, 04:19 PM
Kevin Love.

If he shot was anything close to .500 overall, he would easily be a top 10 player and would probably rank near the top in PER. His numbers as of now on its own are impressive.

Sly Guy
02-04-2012, 04:19 PM
this season so far it's Love, and it's not even close.

Raph12
02-04-2012, 04:20 PM
You can make a case for Kevin Love, Blake Griffin and LaMarcus Aldridge. Each have their great qualities and flaws, sort of depends on what you team needs... I'm still laughing at some of the poll options.

MTar786
02-04-2012, 04:23 PM

LOL

the only thing wade did better than kobe in the last 5 years is have a better 2011 season

2012 kobe>wade (btw this is a kobe at 33years old)
2011 wade>kobe
2010 kobe>wade (finals mvp + 7 game winners and 4 buzzer beaters including 1 over wade)
2009 kobe > wade (finals mvp)
2008 kobe> wade (mvp + most feared player)

mttwlsn16
02-04-2012, 04:28 PM
kenyon martin

MTar786
02-04-2012, 04:35 PM
Kevin Love.

If he shot was anything close to .500 overall, he would easily be a top 10 player and would probably rank near the top in PER. His numbers as of now on its own are impressive.

i would also say its k love if he atleast shot 50% or higher. his fg% is wayyyy too weak for a PF. 45% for a pf is like a sg shooting 39 or 40%

Dramedy
02-04-2012, 04:37 PM
I'd really like to see someone defend the Ryan Anderson votes.

MTar786
02-04-2012, 04:39 PM
LOL @ bargs having more votes than dirk, pau and LMA

rockbottom2010
02-04-2012, 04:49 PM

u may think hes a joke...but colangelo saw something in him...he ain't explosive...however hes an elite shooter...thats why he was compared to dirk...bargs will be around the league for a long long time...u will see.....players like griffen....the way hes playin.....we don't know how long he will last

JasonJohnHorn
02-04-2012, 04:50 PM
i would also say its k love if he atleast shot 50% or higher. his fg% is wayyyy too weak for a PF. 45% for a pf is like a sg shooting 39 or 40%

You gotta realize though that unlike most other PF, Love steps outside and takes a lot of threes, which in turn lowers his FG%, but it is one aspect of his game than makes him a unique player and makes him a better player. He spreads the floor with that shot.

His slightly lower FG% isn't a big deal. His TS% is .575 this season. Pretty impressive.

Chronz
02-04-2012, 05:02 PM
It was last season, yes. I personally judge season to season, and Dirk decided to come in out of shape and his performance has gone down. At the 20-22 game mark of THIS season, Love has outperformed all other PF's.

I am not into giving players slack for past performance, no matter how recent. You are as good as your current level of play at any given time. If the question were worded, "Who is the best PF of the last 10 years, or 5 years?", I change my answer. But I look at it as the best PF currently, meaning this season.

I never knew you had Bargs and Harrington ahead of Dirk.

Why would you base your opinion on such a small sample? You said so yourself, Dirk wasn't in shape and hes fresh off a title, Love is playing better than a guy whos out of shape and has his eyes on a bigger target than treating the regular season like its a sprint.

Why not differentiate between who's performing better from whos actually better?

Like Bargs may be outplaying Dirk, but I need more SUBSTANTIAL evidence to claim his superiority, if all you have are 22 games to hold against him you dont have a very good argument.

Your basically saying Love is only better than an out of shape Dirk, who cares about that.

Jarvo
02-04-2012, 07:08 PM
I Like Lamarcus on my team, But love can score & rebound.

Hawkeye15
02-04-2012, 07:14 PM
I never knew you had Bargs and Harrington ahead of Dirk.

Why would you base your opinion on such a small sample? You said so yourself, Dirk wasn't in shape and hes fresh off a title, Love is playing better than a guy whos out of shape and has his eyes on a bigger target than treating the regular season like its a sprint.

Why not differentiate between who's performing better from whos actually better?

Like Bargs may be outplaying Dirk, but I need more SUBSTANTIAL evidence to claim his superiority, if all you have are 22 games to hold against him you dont have a very good argument.

Your basically saying Love is only better than an out of shape Dirk, who cares about that.

I love how you put words in people's mouths. Was Love a chump last year who is having a great opening 23 games? No. So please don't group in Bargs and Harrington with Love.

If we want to factor in previous play, then why have this thread 22 games into the season? Its not as if Love was outside the top 5 PF's last year in all likelihood, and is having a season of domination out of nowhere.

Currently, no PF is playing better then Love. And I feel comfortable ranking him up top, because he was already a top PF entering this year.

Vote how you want, or how you view it. I did.

llemon
02-04-2012, 07:44 PM
This is a game to game league, and it is a game to game answer.

Bruno
02-04-2012, 07:50 PM
based off this season alone its Kevin Love. based off recent memory, it's dirk.

gasol has falled off, imo.

ball4reel
02-04-2012, 08:19 PM
Lma

Avenged
02-04-2012, 09:00 PM
based off this season alone its Kevin Love. based off recent memory, it's dirk.

gasol has falled off, imo.

Pau Gasol is putting up a better season than Dirk - slightly - but still. If Pau has fallen off then so has Dirk imo.

Meaze_Gibson
02-04-2012, 09:08 PM
I just can't give it to a player who has no playoff experience and who only has been doing his thing for a year and a half. I mean we are talking bout the best. Not the most surprising or most underrated. Do you really take a Kevin Love/Blake led team over a Dirk led team? From Dirk killing some of the best pfs in game when he was younger (kg, td, chris webber) to him leading over the heat. Who has Kevin Love/Blake consistently dominated in matchups. Dirk is proven. As great as they are they are still unproven. I think of best as who do you trust the most in crucial, playoffs, and finals situations. I can't trust them yet. Needless to say, I think Dirk is still the best.

VikesTwinsWolve
02-04-2012, 09:09 PM
Love
Lma
Griffen
Gasol
Dirk

Chronz
02-04-2012, 09:25 PM
I love how you put words in people's mouths. Was Love a chump last year who is having a great opening 23 games? No. So please don't group in Bargs and Harrington with Love.

Its your own logic remember, that was LAST YEAR. THIS YEAR Harrington came to camp in the best shape of his career, why are you all of a sudden considering last year. What happened to basing it off this year, Bargs is a different player isn't he?

If we want to factor in previous play, then why have this thread 22 games into the season?
Because you can always ask someone to give their top players, it was your decision to base your answer on such minuscule evidence.

Its not as if Love was outside the top 5 PF's last year in all likelihood, and is having a season of domination out of nowhere.

Never said he did, just following your logic if you now want to change it to where you do in fact consider prior seasons but only to the point where you can still ignore Dirks title run so be it. Its such a laughable position that I won't care to argue against it.

Love may in fact be the best, but your doing a horrid job of making the case.

Currently, no PF is playing better then Love. And I feel comfortable ranking him up top, because he was already a top PF entering this year.

A minute ago you said you base players on a season to season basis, now your considering prior achievements? Your argument is full of holes.

If your doing the logical thing and looking at the bigger picture then I dont see how you can go against Dirk until hes proven no longer capable of dominating playoff competition, something Love has yet to prove BTW.

Vote how you want, or how you view it. I did.

I don't feel comfortable entitling something to him based on such minuscule evidence. Then again that the difference between you and me, I don't let the fact that hes my teams player blind me, I don't care if Blake was great last year and even better now, I still ain't putting him above Dirk till I see some playoff action, or at the least a Dirk dropoff.

Bulls_fan90
02-04-2012, 09:59 PM

Derp derp. Wade has been average this year. Not even the 2nd best player on his team.

valade16
02-04-2012, 10:03 PM
You gotta realize though that unlike most other PF, Love steps outside and takes a lot of threes, which in turn lowers his FG%, but it is one aspect of his game than makes him a unique player and makes him a better player. He spreads the floor with that shot.

His slightly lower FG% isn't a big deal. His TS% is .575 this season. Pretty impressive.

Well taking his 3-pointers out of the equation Love would still only average 47% on 2-pt shots this year and only 48% last year. Those are better than 45%, but sitll not at LMA's level (50% +).

That being said LMA and Love are such different PF's it's tough to rank them. Obviously, Love is a way better rebounder, but also keep in mind, Love's points come off 3-pointers or hustle-play put-backs.

LMA's points come off post moves and mid-range shots. LMA has a nasty Mid-range shot for a big so he's able to spread a defense out while also retaining the ability to post up.

I think LMA is a better 1st option but Love is a better 2nd option, and right now, while I think LMA is more skilled in traditional PF skillsets, Love is playing slightly better this season.

TubbyBucket
02-05-2012, 12:19 AM
I think Dirk is done as a truly elite forward. He's still dangerous, but the drop off was inevitable. Sort of reminds me of Tim Duncan from a few years back, when he was clearly on the decline, yet some people still insisted that he was the best power forward based solely on history.

Chronz
02-05-2012, 01:16 AM
I think Dirk is done as a truly elite forward. He's still dangerous, but the drop off was inevitable. Sort of reminds me of Tim Duncan from a few years back, when he was clearly on the decline, yet some people still insisted that he was the best power forward based solely on history.
Could definitely be the case here, but i don't think Duncan was clearly done when he came fresh off a chip. Im also fairly confident I had KG/Dirk ahead of him when he was in a definite decline, its easy to dethrone Duncan when his competition is as proven and accomplished as they were. Love/Blake haven't earned that.

Hawkeye15
02-05-2012, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by Chronz Its your own logic remember, that was LAST YEAR. THIS YEAR Harrington came to camp in the best shape of his career, why are you all of a sudden considering last year. What happened to basing it off this year, Bargs is a different player isn't he?

I am not basing it totally and completely off this year. I am saying, when you factor in that Love was already a top 5 PF entering this season, easily, his level of play is now seperating him from the others.

Because you can always ask someone to give their top players, it was your decision to base your answer on such minuscule evidence.

What?

Never said he did, just following your logic if you now want to change it to where you do in fact consider prior seasons but only to the point where you can still ignore Dirks title run so be it. Its such a laughable position that I won't care to argue against it.

state your logic before you question others. I am not ignoring anything. Love isn't a chump who just showed up on the scene. I am glad you don't care to argue me on it, because you still haven't presented your opinions, as usual.

Sorry to disappoint you. The mere fact that he is outplaying all other PF's is indeed a weak case, sure.

A minute ago you said you base players on a season to season basis, now your considering prior achievements? Your argument is full of holes.

There you go again putting words in people's mouths. I said, I value current level of play when ranking a player. You put forth 2 whatevers. I responded, Love is not a chump that showed up out of nowhere, so you actually have the holes in your argument. You used a much smaller sample size than I did. Now, I also said, if the title of the thread was, "Best PF in the last 5/10 years", I would change my answer. But that wasn't the title of the thread.

If your doing the logical thing and looking at the bigger picture then I dont see how you can go against Dirk until hes proven no longer capable of dominating playoff competition, something Love has yet to prove BTW.

Fine. Then we shall not include anyone who may very well be outplaying every PF in the league, and only speak of those who deserve lifetime achievement awards. In that case, Duncan>Love according to your thought process.

I don't feel comfortable entitling something to him based on such minuscule evidence. Then again that the difference between you and me, I don't let the fact that hes my teams player blind me, I don't care if Blake was great last year and even better now, I still ain't putting him above Dirk till I see some playoff action, or at the least a Dirk dropoff.

You don't have to feel comfortable voting for anyone that doesn't fit your criteria. But when you speak in such a condescending tone responding to someone who doesn't share your same thought process, I am really not sure what you expect the reply to be.

I understand you have a soothing hatred for David Kahn and the Wolves, and it shows when you post regarding anyone on the roster/organization. I have also asked you countless times for your evaluation of some of their players, yet you ignore any request I make. So. Here we are. You continue to suggest I lead with emotion regarding the Wolves, and I am telling you that you are guilty as well. I am not really interested in those evaluations anymore, because they are soiled with your bias.

Look at me man. I can be as condescending as you.

PacersForLife
02-05-2012, 05:07 AM
It's gotta be Dirk.

valade16
02-05-2012, 11:14 AM
You continue to suggest I lead with emotion regarding the Wolves, and I am telling you that you are guilty as well.

I will say with your favorite team that everyone to an extent leads with emotion on evaluating their team. That being said, leading with your emotion or not, you are still 100% correct right now.

I am a huge Blazers fan and even I can't argue that LMA has been playing better than Love this year.

If someone wants to make a case for Dirk being the best because he played amazingly well last year in the playoffs they can, but the longer this season continues the farther away that finals gets, and sooner or later they will have to change their opinion if Dirk doesn't get back to form.

As to the playoff performance part, I have a feeling we will be seeing what Love can do in the playoffs... very soon.

todu82
02-05-2012, 11:22 AM
Kevin Love.

wjmoffatt
02-05-2012, 11:56 AM
you have to throw DWill into that group for best PG. And can't leave Durant out as best SF.

UKblazers
02-05-2012, 02:48 PM
Kevin Love would be my vote. As a Blazer fan LMA still doesn't consistently rebound well enough to get the to spot. Griffin hasn't progressed offensively as much i thought and at times is a liability defensively. Love and LMA in tier 1 with love having the advantage IMO.

VikesTwinsWolve
02-05-2012, 02:55 PM
I think the best pf in the game is ORIGINALLY from the portland area!

Cfrey
02-05-2012, 03:00 PM
I love that Kevin Love is showing the league what they need to love.

Chronz
02-05-2012, 03:05 PM
I am not basing it totally and completely off this year.
Your exact words were " I treat every season separately" or something like that. If you consider last year then you have to consider the title run.

I am saying, when you factor in that Love was already a top 5 PF entering this season, easily, his level of play is now seperating him from the others.

When you factor in last season and the fact that Dirk has his eyes on a bigger prize than regular season stats, Love hasnt separated himself one iota, too lil supporting evidence.

What?

I didn't get your question and you don't get my answer, lol

state your logic before you question others. I am not ignoring anything. Love isn't a chump who just showed up on the scene. I am glad you don't care to argue me on it, because you still haven't presented your opinions, as usual.

Go back a few pages, its there. If my logic isn't clear (that a title won literally a few months back is relevant TODAY because it wasnt 5 years ago), then your either dodging or hopeless. And yes you are ignoring Dirks title yet bringing up Loves play last year. Thats a selective argument if I've ever heard one.

Sorry to disappoint you. The mere fact that he is outplaying all other PF's is indeed a weak case, sure.

It is, look at your sample of evidence.

There you go again putting words in people's mouths. I said, I value current level of play when ranking a player.
Nope, those were literally your own words, check out the first post.

Its this simple if you value current level of play then lots of players are better than Dirk based on his poor start. In which case your isolated data is very small and inconclusive, if you consider last year then you have to consider the title. You can't have It both ways.

You put forth 2 whatevers. I responded, Love is not a chump that showed up out of nowhere, so you actually have the holes in your argument.
Yeah thats called backtracking, before I mentioned them you were sticking to the claim that his title was in the past, once you realized that lots of inferior players have outdone Dirk this year thats when you decided to include prior evidence, but if thats the case you can no longer ignore Dirks title and Loves lack of supporting evidence.

You used a much smaller sample size than I did.
False, I was considering last years play long before you caught on.

Now, I also said, if the title of the thread was, "Best PF in the last 5/10 years", I would change my answer. But that wasn't the title of the thread.

Yeah that was another hilarious response, 5 years ago isn't relevant today, a title won a few months back is completely different.

Like I wouldn't mention Tmacs accomplishments 5 years ago when determining where hes at going forward today, but I would care about his most recent season/injuries.

Fine. Then we shall not include anyone who may very well be outplaying every PF in the league, and only speak of those who deserve lifetime achievement awards. In that case, Duncan>Love according to your thought process.

Duncan won a title a few months back? News to me.

You don't have to feel comfortable voting for anyone that doesn't fit your criteria. But when you speak in such a condescending tone responding to someone who doesn't share your same thought process, I am really not sure what you expect the reply to be.

Whatever you want, however you want. Makes no difference, I'm just focusing on your argument.

I understand you have a soothing hatred for David Kahn and the Wolves, and it shows when you post regarding anyone on the roster/organization. I have also asked you countless times for your evaluation of some of their players, yet you ignore any request I make. So. Here we are. You continue to suggest I lead with emotion regarding the Wolves, and I am telling you that you are guilty as well. I am not really interested in those evaluations anymore, because they are soiled with your bias.

Look at me man. I can be as condescending as you.
If only you had a shred of proof

Chronz
02-05-2012, 03:13 PM
If someone wants to make a case for Dirk being the best because he played amazingly well last year in the playoffs they can, but the longer this season continues the farther away that finals gets, and sooner or later they will have to change their opinion if Dirk doesn't get back to form.

Thats the point, why would I anoint a guy who hasn't even tasted the playoffs while his main competitor is fresh off one? Because of a few lockout games? LMFAO

You don't punish a criminal until hes proven guilty and you dont reward a player till hes PROVEN his superiority.

As to the playoff performance part, I have a feeling we will be seeing what Love can do in the playoffs... very soon.
I hope so, if they miss the playoffs I will be very disappointed

valade16
02-05-2012, 03:38 PM
Thats the point, why would I anoint a guy who hasn't even tasted the playoffs while his main competitor is fresh off one? Because of a few lockout games? LMFAO

You don't punish a criminal until hes proven guilty and you dont reward a player till hes PROVEN his superiority.

So to you the only way to prove superiority is in the playoffs?

Also, Dirk is averaging 45% on 2's and 22% on 3's. He's averaging 6 rebounds and 17 points per game. Over 21 games. That isn't a little dry spell, that is 1/4th of an NBA season. At some point his slump needs to turn around.

Suppose Dirk averages those #'s for this entire season. Your telling me that even in game 66 of averaging clearly inferior numbers to Love that you would still rank Dirk higher based on last years finals?

I guess my question is: after how many games do you begin to forget about the previous seasons' accomplishments.

Chronz
02-05-2012, 03:54 PM
So to you the only way to prove superiority is in the playoffs?

Im putting it simply of course but yes either combination of Love proving himself against playoff competition or Dirk proving hes no longer the same guy he was literally a few months back.

Also, Dirk is averaging 45% on 2's and 22% on 3's. He's averaging 6 rebounds and 17 points per game. Over 21 games. That isn't a little dry spell, that is 1/4th of an NBA season. At some point his slump needs to turn around.

Yup, if we were to base this solely on 22 games then lots of players surpass Dirk. If you ignore context then yes Dirk isnt even an AllStar anymore. Im not that irrational

Suppose Dirk averages those #'s for this entire season. Your telling me that even in game 66 of averaging clearly inferior numbers to Love that you would still rank Dirk higher based on last years finals?

By that point no, there will be no excuse of poor conditioning and injuries that have plagued him this year. However say he does all that but then reverts to form in the playoffs that would make it an argument again. I dont think that happens tho

I guess my question is: after how many games do you begin to forget about the previous seasons' accomplishments.
When its proven that hes no longer capable of performing to that degree in the playoffs.
If that sound alil vague its because I don't know when that happens till it becomes a tend. I give players who have proven as much as Dirk some leeway, like last year Kobe looked awful in the playoffs but hes looking better now. If Kobe gos down with weak efficiency again I will be convinced hes taken the next step down as a star.

What Dirks struggles this year have done is shorten his window, if he sucks in the playoffs then this season is even more damning.

On the flip side say Love gets locked down, I won't necessarily think hes a choker but it does mark a beginning of what could be a trend.

Gagan136
02-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Blake for me

theducksmuggler
02-05-2012, 04:26 PM
Why isnt Elton Brand on that list...totally kidden he sucks im going to go with love...

Redbull
02-05-2012, 09:23 PM
It's hard to go against Kevin Love because of his numbers and skill set, there is not much this guy can't do.

Spiggity_ace
02-05-2012, 10:12 PM
aldridge, and its a easy dcision for me

Bishnoff
02-05-2012, 10:50 PM
This season:

1. Love
2. LMA
3. Griffin

ghettosean
02-05-2012, 10:55 PM
Agreed but we are talking right now... If Dirk was in condition and healthy he would probably be leading the way.

ghettosean
02-05-2012, 11:23 PM

:laugh:

bmd1101
02-05-2012, 11:35 PM
Ill take LMA's more complete offensive game, just wish he was a better defender on the post. He is still improving though.

ghettosean
02-05-2012, 11:36 PM
Love is by far the best PF in the league aside from him setting a new NBA record for double doubles last year he is showing once again that he's still a rebounding machine and can score inside and out day in day out against some of the best PF's in the league. By looking at the voting I think most people can agree on this point.