PDA

View Full Version : Greg Oden to undergo yet another knee surgery

Gators123
02-03-2012, 03:29 PM
http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2012/02/trail_blazers_center_greg_oden_to_undergo_yet_anot .html

Trail Blazers center Greg Oden will undergo an arthroscopic procedure today in Vail, Colo. to remove debris from his right knee, the team announced. It is his fourth knee surgery since becoming the No. 1 overall pick in the 2007 draft.

Blazers interim general manager Chad Buchanan said it's too early to say today's knee procedure will end Oden's season.

"That would be speculation at this point,'' Buchanan said. "We are going to continue to stand by and support Greg and listen to what the doctors have to say after the surgery.''

The right knee has not given Oden problems since 2007, when he had microfracture performed before the season started.

His left knee was the knee in question during his December visit in Vail, Colo., when the team deemed he had suffered a setback because of an issue with a non-weight bearing ligament in his knee.

Blazers interim general manager Chad Buchanan said Oden had recently started "increased activities" on the basketball court, during which Oden had good days and bad days with his knees. After a recent magnetic resonance imaging, doctors at the Steadman Clinic in Vail detected debris in his right knee and decided they wanted to operate to clear the debris and to take a closer look.

Buchanan said it is also possible the doctors might operate on the left knee today, which had been the knee in question during his December doctor's visit.

Oden, who turned 24 last month, has not played in an NBA game since December of 2009, when he fractured his left patella. After rehabilitating from that injury, Oden never made it back, having to undergo microfracture surgery on his left knee in November of 2010.

The team had hoped he would return this season, and extended an $8.9 million qualifying offer, which Oden accepted. However, after the December doctor's visit in Colorado, during which the team deemed he had suffered a setback, the Blazers and Oden's representatives negotiated a reduced salary, believed to be around $1.5 million for this season.

Since being the No. 1 overall pick in the 2007 draft, Oden has played in 82 games, the equivalent of one NBA season. Oden has career averages of 9.4 points and 7.3 rebounds.

DeathB4Dishonor
02-03-2012, 03:30 PM
:facepalm:

DeathB4Dishonor
02-03-2012, 03:32 PM
I honestly believe without injuries that he would have been the 2nd best center in the league today too, and if roy never got injured we would be looking at the Thunder 2.0 .. its a damn shame they could have had a dynasty, healthy Oden, healthy Roy, Aldridge, Wallace, Camby, Felton, Matthews and Batum :drool:

Gibby23
02-03-2012, 03:34 PM
That sucks.

sjbirds
02-03-2012, 03:41 PM
that sucks... portland with the worst luck

Gritz
02-03-2012, 03:44 PM
shouldve drafted Kevin Durant

John Walls Era
02-03-2012, 03:45 PM
that sucks... portland with the worst luck

Or the worst drafters. Oden was number 2 (arguably, but there were warning signs everywhere) and Bowie was actually good before he was hurt, but Jordan was "The Peoples Champ" as one of the analyst put it when the Bulls drafted Jordan and Hakeem was a pretty sure thing.

RaIDErsFTW
02-03-2012, 03:46 PM
-.-

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-03-2012, 03:47 PM
wow, its getting worse and worse

tredigs
02-03-2012, 03:48 PM
Jesus... Oden. It's tough to feel "sorry" for a multi-millionaire professional athlete, but it is a damn ****ing shame to see something like bad knees be the separating factor between a 'could've been' and the potential #1 center of this age (as opposed to something like poor work ethic or off court issues, etc.).

Just sucks. Nothing else to say about Oden's career or lack there of.

Or the worst drafters. Oden was number 2 (arguably, but there were warning signs everywhere) and Bowie was actually good before he was hurt, but Jordan was "The Peoples Champ" as one of the analyst put it when the Bulls drafted Jordan and Hakeem was a pretty sure thing.

No connection between the Jordan/Bowie age Blazers and this one, for one. And for two the Oden pick was the consensus correct decision by every GM in the league outside of 1 (Ainge?). So virtually every team was making that decision, and most fans agreed with it at the time.

Gibby23
02-03-2012, 03:50 PM
Perfect example showing why going to college pays off. This dude became a rich man because of hard work in his AAU and High school days. He even had a hurt wrist in his 1 year at Ohio State.

DeathB4Dishonor
02-03-2012, 03:52 PM
Perfect example showing why going to college pays off. This dude became a rich man because of hard work in his AAU and High school days. He even had a hurt wrist in his 1 year at Ohio State.

You just completely contradicted yourself?

Gibby23
02-03-2012, 03:53 PM
You just completely contradicted yourself?

It was a joke.

njnets825
02-03-2012, 03:55 PM
So sad to hear that. This guy would've been challenging dhoward for best center if he could've stayed healthy.

ThunderousDemon
02-03-2012, 03:59 PM
Maybe he can go to Germany and have the Doctors perform some sort of surgery, like Kobe did.

ElFuturoDeESPN
02-03-2012, 04:20 PM
shouldve drafted Kevin Durant

Brilliant, just an absolutely breathtaking sentiment. Why didn't Portland think of this when they had the chance?! :rolleyes:

BigBongTheory
02-03-2012, 04:23 PM
Maybe he can go to Germany and have the Doctors perform some sort of surgery, like Kobe did.

of course when knee is brought up i thought the same thing, but i think at this point "dem kneez iz gone sun"......

Rockice_8
02-03-2012, 04:23 PM
:facepalm:

This says it all. I really hope he can get healthy some day.

Sadds The Gr8
02-03-2012, 04:24 PM
I'd just retire if I were him...

ElFuturoDeESPN
02-03-2012, 04:28 PM
He should have been rehabbing instead of partying down here in Corvallis with jersey chasers.

I don't feel the least bit sorry for him.

onlythisfar41
02-03-2012, 04:30 PM
This isn't even news anymore, it's just something that's expected from him year in and year out.

Gram
02-03-2012, 05:16 PM
I wish I coulda seen this guy play.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-03-2012, 05:42 PM
I wish I coulda seen this guy play.

you didnt?:eyebrow:

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-03-2012, 06:00 PM
Just retire man.

VinceCarter
02-03-2012, 06:12 PM
I just wish we could see Greg Oden play an 82 game season. He would be an absolute beast.

GodsSon
02-03-2012, 07:08 PM
Just retire already.

valade16
02-03-2012, 08:40 PM
Just retire already.

Your Sig is hilarious :laugh:

JJ_JKidd
02-04-2012, 05:02 AM
Most Injured Player (MIP)

ACanadian
02-04-2012, 05:51 AM
I'd just retire if I were him...

And I thought our pick was bad:D (Bargs) but yea why would you want to retire when you're getting 5-10 mill a year to do nothing?

kblo247
02-04-2012, 06:02 AM
Portland has the worst medical training staff in the league and have had for decades. Walton, Pippen, Sheed, Bonzi, Grant, Sabonis, Van Exel, Stoudemire, and Miles have all complained about it.

That said, Oden would be best served going to a team like Phoenix or Detorit for their trainers if h wants to stay in the league

kurivaimu
02-04-2012, 06:32 AM
Seems to me that in addition to bad luck Oden lacks professional attitude. Apparently a photograph of a naked Oden with "show-girls" leaked last week.

But why retire when youre getting millons of dollars just for sitting on the bench?

gwrighter
02-04-2012, 11:12 AM
At this point there really is no point in providing any update until it is a good one.

GiantsSwaGG
02-04-2012, 12:37 PM
Just retire!

lakers4sho
02-04-2012, 01:47 PM
i know you gotta take risks...but you take smart ones

jiggin
02-04-2012, 02:00 PM
Portland has the worst medical training staff in the league and have had for decades. Walton, Pippen, Sheed, Bonzi, Grant, Sabonis, Van Exel, Stoudemire, and Miles have all complained about it.

That said, Oden would be best served going to a team like Phoenix or Detorit for their trainers if h wants to stay in the league

not the same training staff for those guys...over all those years...

would love to see quotes on this...

...medical staffs have come and gone to different organizations, so if the ones that were here say, 5 years ago are now on the staff with, say the bulls...does that make the bulls staff bad (just an example).

again, would love to see some quotes on this...since some of those you named said portland was an amazing place to play and an amazing organization (and I CAN provide quotes).

kozelkid
02-04-2012, 02:04 PM
He should have been rehabbing instead of partying down here in Corvallis with jersey chasers.

I don't feel the least bit sorry for him.

Lol. God forbid a player has a little fun. Sheesh, he's human and he was never touted as having poor work ethic. Quite the opposite.

Seriously, people can be ridiculous with their expectations of players sometimes.

smith&wesson
02-04-2012, 02:19 PM
4 surgeries in a 5 year career. thats tough times right there.

SteveNash
02-04-2012, 02:26 PM
Oden just needs to take a break. Take a year + to get healthy. Then when he's ready to come back just embrace a limited role.