PDA

View Full Version : Clippers, Kenyon Martin agree on a deal

kylem4711
02-03-2012, 02:05 PM
The Clippers and free-agent forward Kenyon Martin have agreed on a mini-midlevel deal that will be finalized as soon as Martin passes a physical, according to an NBA individual familiar with the negotiations.

Martin, who played for the Xinjiang Tigers in China and had been required to wait until their season was over before rejoining the NBA, was cleared to return to the NBA by FIBA, the international basketball federation, Thursday.

Martin is an 11-year NBA veteran who, at 6-foot-9, is expected to bolster the Clippers' inside strength and rebounding performance. He averaged 13.5 points and 7.2 rebounds in his 11 seasons with the New Jersey Nets and Denver Nuggets.

Last season, Martin averaged 8.6 points and 6.2 rebounds in Denver. He is 34.

Martin has a home in Los Angeles and is a friend of Clippers guard Chauncey Billups, a teammate with the Nuggets.

Other teams that had been interested in Martin were the Lakers, Miami Heat, San Antonio Spurs, New York Knicks and Atlanta Hawks.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2012/02/clippers-kenyon-martin-agree-on-a-deal.html

dooope

Kobe4Life
02-03-2012, 02:07 PM
I guess he didn't want any rings. Oh well.

shep33
02-03-2012, 02:08 PM
Good pickup. His minutes are going to be pretty limited though aren't they?

kylem4711
02-03-2012, 02:09 PM

nm, dont want to make people cry

justinnum1
02-03-2012, 02:14 PM
as expected...

Gibby23
02-03-2012, 02:16 PM
Good pickup. His minutes are going to be pretty limited though aren't they?

Can't they just do a 3 man rotation with Blake, Jordan, and Martin?

Chill_Will_24
02-03-2012, 02:18 PM
Anyone expected different?

LA4life24/8
02-03-2012, 02:19 PM
shocker...

shep33
02-03-2012, 02:20 PM

I guess so, but Blake is such a big part of that offense. Once Blake leaves the game, its jump shot city. Mo, Caron, Cp3, Chauncey, Foye, Gomes, are all jump shooter. Even Kenyon in Denver became a jump shooter. I think they could've used a scorer off the bench. Pick and roll with Blake is money. He's starting to hit that jumper now, so they need him on the court IMO.

Baller1
02-03-2012, 02:21 PM
Damn. This is gonna be an underrated pickup.

Huuuuge for LAC in my opinion.

kylem4711
02-03-2012, 02:22 PM

im thinking the rotation would be martin first, then reggie evans.

eugene
02-03-2012, 02:24 PM
Clips are for real now? Getting more solid each day especially having such bench...

shep33
02-03-2012, 02:25 PM
im thinking the rotation would be martin first, then reggie evans.

It's a good pick up. He gives them depth, up front. Great defensive player too.
However, I think the Clips may have the worst FT shooting front line in NBA history. DJ, Blake, Reggie and Kmart (shot 53% last year).

He'll still help the clips bigtime though

kylem4711
02-03-2012, 02:27 PM
yeah, the FT% is god aweful.

Best part of the pickup is that gomes gets even fewer minutes.

shep33
02-03-2012, 02:28 PM

haha

shep33
02-03-2012, 02:30 PM

As a Laker fan it's going to be fun watching Artest, Martin, McRoberts, and Reggie all get after it lol.

Man the city of LA is gonna become Tech CIty when those two teams meet. I still like your guys' roster better than ours though.

smith&wesson
02-03-2012, 02:30 PM
Damn. This is gonna be an underrated pickup.

Huuuuge for LAC in my opinion.

plus 1. they just got the depth they needed in the front court. martin still has some game.

Celticsfan2007
02-03-2012, 02:31 PM

I would assume he will not be Blakes primary backup at PF, while Reggie Evan will probably see a lot more time at C backing up Jordan. I can see him getting anywhere from 15-20mpg with Evans maybe around 10-15mpg depending on match-ups.

JasonJohnHorn
02-03-2012, 02:36 PM
I was really hoping K-Mart would sign with the Spurs... help Duncan win one more ring before he retires.

Odominator
02-03-2012, 02:36 PM
Wow big score for the clips. Evans and Martin backing up Jordan and Griffin will be huge.

Not only will Gomes get less minutes, but the most important thing is that Brian Cook will virtually be off the team. This is a win-win!

Odominator
02-03-2012, 02:37 PM
Clipps should go after JR Smith now while they are at it.

LA_Raiders
02-03-2012, 02:38 PM
bench warmer

ThunderousDemon
02-03-2012, 02:41 PM
I guess he doesn't want to win right now, oh well.

Gibby23
02-03-2012, 02:49 PM
I guess he doesn't want to win right now, oh well.

How so?

ThunderousDemon
02-03-2012, 02:51 PM
How so?

Lakers.

mttwlsn16
02-03-2012, 02:53 PM
Neil olshey :bow:

ThunderousDemon
02-03-2012, 02:56 PM
Neil olshey :bow:

Donald Sterling :puke:

Gibby23
02-03-2012, 02:56 PM
Lakers.

And? The Clippers have a real chance to come out of the west this year and even win it all. That 3 guard rotation with Blake, Jordan, and now Martin is a damn good squad. Late in close games, CP3 can just flat out take over.

ThunderousDemon
02-03-2012, 02:59 PM
And? The Clippers have a real chance to come out of the west this year and even win it all. That 3 guard rotation with Blake, Jordan, and now Martin is a damn good squad. Late in close games, CP3 can just flat out take over.

Jordan?? Really what's this guy appeal because he can't score on offense without a lob.

Gibby23
02-03-2012, 03:06 PM
Jordan?? Really what's this guy appeal because he can't score on offense without a lob.

They have4 guys in Paul, Billups, Butler, and Blake that can all score in the starting line up and off the bench they have MO (6th man of the yeat maybe), Foye, and now Martin who can all score. We (The Lakers) have Fisher and Metta starting and they can't score much. Jordan can matchup weel against 7 footers like bynum and also protect the paint.

IBleedPurple
02-03-2012, 03:08 PM
Solid pickup, he's still pretty stout defensively.

Avenged
02-03-2012, 03:11 PM
Nice. The Lakers/Clippers matchups will be a lot more interesting with him around.

shizzle09
02-03-2012, 03:16 PM
Clippers have crazy depth

DeathB4Dishonor
02-03-2012, 03:19 PM
Great pickup by the Clippers

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-03-2012, 03:22 PM
He will be that veteran enforcer to protect Griffin and Jordan. Clippers just became more dangerous.

Kobe4Life
02-03-2012, 03:25 PM

:laugh:

Yeah and Detroit will win the East. If they even make it to the playoffs they will be swept right out and I hope its at the hands of us.

--23--
02-03-2012, 03:27 PM
This is a great pickup for the Clippers

Gibby23
02-03-2012, 03:29 PM

Yeah and Detroit will win the East. If they even make it to the playoffs they will be swept right out and I hope its at the hands of us.

What? They will be in the playoffs. What gives you any indication that the Lakers can beat them in a series. The way the lakers have played this year, we might be out in the 1st round.

b_russ
02-03-2012, 03:30 PM

Add this to the list of annoying things Laker fans say.

mttwlsn16
02-03-2012, 03:33 PM

take your friggin homer goggles off

Heediot
02-03-2012, 03:34 PM
:clap::clap::clap:

CarniifeX
02-03-2012, 03:35 PM

And no more Cookie!

Heediot
02-03-2012, 03:36 PM
I guess so, but Blake is such a big part of that offense. Once Blake leaves the game, its jump shot city. Mo, Caron, Cp3, Chauncey, Foye, Gomes, are all jump shooter. Even Kenyon in Denver became a jump shooter. I think they could've used a scorer off the bench. Pick and roll with Blake is money. He's starting to hit that jumper now, so they need him on the court IMO.

I say we should make a deal for B. Miller of Minny. We have a plethora of backup guards to trade and you know Kahn loves his PG's :p

lakersiznumber1
02-03-2012, 03:44 PM
nice pic up by the clips but what happens 2 evans now he was nice on the boards 4 them. I thought martin was going to take his talents to south beach that would have been scary oh well

BigBongTheory
02-03-2012, 03:46 PM
This tells me you are a Kobe fan. What will you do when he retires?

eh, i didn't take it that way, but you could be right, then again i know what defending the love of your sports life is like, i do it with my eagles as well (a little too much), and this year i just had to dodge the bullets, i would have killed myself trying to have a comeback for everything that was said about my eagles this year :cry:

Gibby23
02-03-2012, 03:48 PM
eh, i didn't take it that way, but you could be right, then again i know what defending the love of your sports life is like, i do it with my eagles as well (a little too much), and this year i just had to dodge the bullets, i would have killed myself trying to have a comeback for everything that was said about my eagles this year :cry:

Im not saying take anything away from the Lakers, but if he can't see that the Clippers are contenders this year, then something is wrong.

Master Mind
02-03-2012, 03:53 PM
:shrug:

BigBongTheory
02-03-2012, 03:54 PM
Im not saying take anything away from the Lakers, but if he can't see that the Clippers are contenders this year, then something is wrong.

well, i mean obviously they are contenders, and obviously it's an added pressure for us laker fans, and kenyon martin knows what he's doing, he's signed with the clippers for that reason, he knows where they can go. going to get hostile when the small dogs get bigger. we'll see where the laker fans really are if the clippers turn real-deal.

Kobe4Life
02-03-2012, 04:00 PM
This tells me you are a Kobe fan. What will you do when he retires?

I said 2000+ to bring up a specific argument regarding how many titles we have won in such a small amount of time. Oh and yes I am a fan of the best player on my team and one of the best ever.

The goods
02-03-2012, 04:06 PM
The clippers are turning into a serious threat now players actually want to go there,looks like we have some competition in L.A. we have to step our game up.

IndiansFan337
02-03-2012, 04:11 PM
I think the Clipps have a very, very good chance of winning the West now. They might be one of the teams that could give Miami a run for their money in a Finals matchup too.

Mudvayne91
02-03-2012, 04:23 PM
Well Clippers, looks like you've made me like your team that much more. If the Nuggets don't go the distance, the Clips are now my official 2nd team.

BigBongTheory
02-03-2012, 04:43 PM
Well Clippers, looks like you've made me like your team that much more. If the Nuggets don't go the distance, the Clips are now my official 2nd team.

Are you serious? or just kidding?

nickdymez
02-03-2012, 04:43 PM
Add this to the list of annoying things Laker fans say.

What he says probably annoys you because you cant relate.

Gram
02-03-2012, 04:45 PM

He wouldn't have won one with the Lakers either. :shrug:

kylem4711
02-03-2012, 04:47 PM
Again, this thread is the perfect example of why i am not a laker fan and why i will never be.

All of the laker fans claim that they arent worried about the clippers, that the clippers suck, that the clippers will never win anything. Yet in a thread about the clippers signing a player, laker fans took it upon themselves to show their insecurities and make this thread about them.

nickdymez
02-03-2012, 04:48 PM
He wouldn't have won one with the Lakers either. :shrug:

Lakers win all the time :shrug:

Gram
02-03-2012, 04:53 PM
Lakers win all the time :shrug:

Good luck this year, you'll sure need it. :shrug:

BigBongTheory
02-03-2012, 04:55 PM
Again, this thread is the perfect example of why i am not a laker fan and why i will never be.

All of the laker fans claim that they arent worried about the clippers, that the clippers suck, that the clippers will never win anything. Yet in a thread about the clippers signing a player, laker fans took it upon themselves to show their insecurities and make this thread about them.

I just said it makes me hostile as a laker fan, and that the clippers are growing what could be a dominate team, what more do you want from a laker fan guy. :confused:

Gram
02-03-2012, 04:59 PM

Agreed. Laker fans just think they that the team is great and just deserves to be great. A big example of when they were all crying over the CP3 trade getting vetoed lol. They're one of the most privileged franchises in sports, yet they *****, ***** and ***** some more when they don't feel perfect. I think they feel like they're entitled to be great. lol.

BigBongTheory
02-03-2012, 05:03 PM
Agreed. Laker fans just think they that the team is great and just deserves to be great. A big example of when they were all crying over the CP3 trade getting vetoed lol. They're one of the most privileged franchises in sports, yet they *****, ***** and ***** some more when they don't feel perfect. I think they feel like they're entitled to be great. lol.

Can you please say some laker fans, and not they, i mean come on, when does my gracefulness and respect actually get noticed and acknowledged :violin:

Gram
02-03-2012, 05:08 PM
Can you please say some laker fans, and not they, i mean come on, when does my gracefulness and respect actually get noticed and acknowledged :violin:

Awhh I'm sorry sweetie. <3 Keep your fellow fans in check then maybe I'll consider your request. ;)

airronijordan
02-03-2012, 05:09 PM
This is a great pickup for the clippers

Mudvayne91
02-03-2012, 05:10 PM
Are you serious? or just kidding?

Chauncey Billups is my favorite player of all-time. He's the pride of Colorado. 90% of us were so pissed when he had to be involved in the trade with Melo, but I'm glad to see he's landed in a great spot now. The addition of Kmart only makes me like them even more cause I truly liked watching the guy play as a Nugget. Wished he was still on the team. So definitely serious. Nuggets are and will always be my first team, but if they're out of the picture, I'll be rooting for the Clippers.

Gram
02-03-2012, 05:12 PM
Chauncey Billups is my favorite player of all-time. He's the pride of Colorado. 90% of us were so pissed when he had to be involved in the trade with Melo, but I'm glad to see he's landed in a great spot now. The addition of Kmart only makes me like them even more cause I truly liked watching the guy play. So definitely serious. Nuggets are and will always be my first team, but if they're out of the picture, I'll be rooting for the Clippers.

Wanna come out for dinner with myself, Chauncey, CousinsEvansDuo, and dontfireNedco? BigBongTheory will be serenading us with his violin. ;)

mttwlsn16
02-03-2012, 05:26 PM
Wanna come out for dinner with myself, Chauncey, CousinsEvansDuo, and dontfireNedco? BigBongTheory will be serenading us with his violin. ;)

can i come?

shep33
02-03-2012, 05:43 PM
It was between Miami and the Clips from what I've been hearing, and the Clips offer is quite a bit more than what the Lakers or Heat could've offered. Remember, Kmart would've gotten a pro-rated Vets min for the Lakers or Heat. On the other hand, despite him getting an mini MLE, it's still more money than what the either Miami or the Lakers could've offered him.

DODGERS&LAKERS
02-03-2012, 05:46 PM
take your friggin homer goggles off

OH MY GOD! Your sig has me rolling over here. :clap:

shep33
02-03-2012, 05:47 PM

Meh, a couple Laker fans said some things, which doesn't mean you have to trash the whole shabang. Clips are good, and this is a good signing. I think they can win the west, absolutely, and I'm a Laker fan.

I've also seen a lot of Clipper trolls comeout of nowhere recently too. Doesn't mean I have to collectively bunch Clipper fans for a couple of them being out of line.

Haha unfortunately CED has really ruffled some feathers for Kings fans

BigBongTheory
02-03-2012, 05:52 PM
Meh, a couple Laker fans said some things, which doesn't mean you have to trash the whole shabang. Clips are good, and this is a good signing. I think they can win the west, absolutely, and I'm a Laker fan.

I've also seen a lot of Clipper trolls comeout of nowhere recently too. Doesn't mean I have to collectively bunch Clipper fans for a couple of them being out of line.

Haha unfortunately CED has really ruffled some feathers for Kings fans

You sir have your head screwed on straight, unlike that guy GRAM up there wanting to take me out to dinner.

Gram
02-03-2012, 05:53 PM
can i come?

You're gonna have to fight ned for a seat. He always *****es about how old he is so he's experienced, so be careful.

DODGERS&LAKERS
02-03-2012, 05:53 PM
Awhh I'm sorry sweetie. <3 Keep your fellow fans in check then maybe I'll consider your request. ;)

No one can keep other people in "check" Especially not from the Internet. So its up to you to not be so narrow minded and lump everyone into one category because of the team they cheer for.

Honestly, the Laker's have some of the best fans on this site. As well as some of the worst. I always see Laker fans congratulating other teams fans on good games even after the Laker's lost. Some seem to go out of their way in being unbiased just to try to break the common misconception that Laker fans are "*icks"

I have seen way worse bad fan to good fan ratio's amongst other teams on this site. But the Laker's get called out the most. Wonder why?

Gram
02-03-2012, 05:55 PM
You sir have your head screwed on straight, unlike that guy GRAM up there wanting to take me out to dinner.

I didn't want you there lol. I just thought your violin songs would make an interesting atmosphere to the dinner date. :shrug: You're definitely not sitting at our table though. ;)

DODGERS&LAKERS
02-03-2012, 05:56 PM
Anyways, I like the signing. Martin is better than any other big they had coming off the bench, which was their really only weakness. They have a very good team now.

Gram
02-03-2012, 05:56 PM
No one can keep other people in "check" Especially not from the Internet. So its up to you to not be so narrow minded and lump everyone into one category because of the team they cheer for.

Honestly, the Laker's have some of the best fans on this site. As well as some of the worst. I always see Laker fans congratulating other teams fans on good games even after the Laker's lost. Some seem to go out of their way in being unbiased just to try to break the common misconception that Laker fans are "*icks"

I have seen way worse bad fan to good fan ratio's amongst other teams on this site. But the Laker's get called out the most. Wonder why?

Sorry. <3 ...

DODGERS&LAKERS
02-03-2012, 05:58 PM
Sorry. <3 ...

Its cool. :love:

BigBongTheory
02-03-2012, 05:59 PM
I didn't want you there lol. I just thought your violin songs would make an interesting atmosphere to the dinner date. :shrug: You're definitely not sitting at our table though. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc&feature=related

Mudvayne91
02-03-2012, 06:00 PM

I would love to.

Gram
02-03-2012, 06:00 PM

Wanna come to my dinner party? :drunk:

BigBongTheory
02-03-2012, 06:01 PM

thanks for protecting me bro, as a fellow laker fan it gets rough out there, us respectable ones get bashed with everyone else. i feel unappreciated, ya know? lol

Gram
02-03-2012, 06:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umdr0mpuyqc&feature=related

<3 <3 <3

Gram
02-03-2012, 06:02 PM
I would love to.

Good. :)

mttwlsn16
02-03-2012, 06:02 PM
oh my god! Your sig has me rolling over here. :clap:

yesss :D

DODGERS&LAKERS
02-03-2012, 06:03 PM
Wanna come to my dinner party? :drunk:

Lets do this! :hi5:

DODGERS&LAKERS
02-03-2012, 06:05 PM
thanks for protecting me bro, as a fellow laker fan it gets rough out there, us respectable ones get bashed with everyone else. i feel unappreciated, ya know? lol

No problem brother. The key is to try to keep it cool around here. We all understand we love sports. We all have different teams that we cheer for. Lets just do it while having fun. :)

Gram
02-03-2012, 06:06 PM
Lets do this! :hi5:

:hi5:

jraygoza
02-03-2012, 06:27 PM

Kylem4711 you are a God! i was just thinking the same thing. For the Clippers to be the "JV Team of L.A." all these Laker fans are looking like the jealous older brother. Stop swinging from our nuts.

BigBongTheory
02-03-2012, 06:34 PM
Kylem4711 you are a God! i was just thinking the same thing. For the Clippers to be the "JV Team of L.A." all these Laker fans are looking like the jealous older brother. Stop swinging from our nuts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztVMib1T4T4&feature=related

shep33
02-03-2012, 06:53 PM
Uh, Kmart is also going to make at least 1+ Mill more than what Miami and the Lakers could've offered him

Easy choice. Good team, more money. If he wanted his best shot at a 'ship, he should've went to Miami. But I think Billups had a lot to do with bringing him in. Great pickup by the Clips

Lidz
02-03-2012, 07:08 PM
that ***** CRAY!

MU and UW Fan
02-03-2012, 07:25 PM
K-Mart could have gone to a better team with a legit shot at winning a ring. But he's not about that and doesn't care. He went to the team that offered him the most money. What a shocker.

kobebabe
02-03-2012, 07:26 PM
nice pick-up for clips

slynxpac
02-03-2012, 08:52 PM
this is good news for the Clippers

Game_Over
02-03-2012, 09:42 PM
He is a good defender, soo glad his contract is finally off the Nuggs books. Good sign for the Clippers since they aren't losing anything!!

Cracka2HI!
02-03-2012, 11:16 PM
I love this signing for the Clipps and loved reading this thread. I'm one of the only Clipper fans who has no problem talking to Laker fans and admitting there are some good knowledgable fans on their side too. However I got some really good laughs from the one's who think we still suck and they are somehow entitled to being better than us. I think it's about 50/50. Some Laker fans deserved to be labled "Fakers" and some deserve to talk Clipper basketball with us!

K-Mart is certinaly no all-star anymore but he is exactly what we needed. Hopefully he can give us 20-25 minutes a night. I'd be much more comfortable with him finishing games than DeAndre. I'm not sure a player the caliber of Martin has ever had a chance to make a bigger impact on a team than this. He is certianly not a star anymore but he may be the player that puts us over the top. It's been really hard watching a combination of Reggie Evans(who has played well), Solomon Jones and Brian Cook try to man the paint for about 30 minutes a game.