PDA

View Full Version : Erik Chirstensen traded

jetsfan89
02-03-2012, 12:09 PM
the #NYR have traded Erik Christensen and a 7th round pick to the Minnesota Wild for forward Casey Wellman who is being assigned to @CTWhale

http://twitter.com/#!/JimCerny/status/165464534641934338

The pick heading to Minnesota in Wellman deal is a conditional 7th round draft choice in 2013

http://twitter.com/#!/JimCerny/status/165465788034203648

Foge7
02-03-2012, 12:15 PM
Erik Christensen and a 7th have been moved to the wild for Casey Wellman who has been assigned to the CT Whale. Cap clearer, looking for a bigger move on the horizon!

bsi
02-03-2012, 12:24 PM
I think this is more of a case of doing the right thing than cap clearance. They should move Wolski too, he's never gonna get time on this bench, doesn't really matter what they get back, just let him go somewhere and play. BTW Wellman is just Wolski and Christensen only younger, lol, good skater, good hands but not physically imposing.

Foge7
02-03-2012, 12:30 PM
I think this is more of a case of doing the right thing than cap clearance. They should move Wolski too, he's never gonna get time on this bench, doesn't really matter what they get back, just let him go somewhere and play. BTW Wellman is just Wolski and Christensen only younger, lol, good skater, good hands but not physically imposing.

True, for some reason I thought EC's contract was bigger than it was, good move, not a cap clearer but Wellman is a good young player, solid potential at RW.

bsi
02-03-2012, 12:40 PM
True, for some reason I thought EC's contract was bigger than it was, good move, not a cap clearer but Wellman is a good young player, solid potential at RW.

I may have spoke too soon actually, just read this article by Brooks. This would be the idea addition for a cup run if you asked me, he fills a lot of needs, net pressence on the PP, he's a Torts style player and he can play on any line. This is a no brainer if the price is right.
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/rangers/source_rangers_on_smyth_radar_tnrcx77ovFAzjNpT4SMV IL

stoopboy45
02-03-2012, 01:14 PM
I think this is the beginnings of what will end up being a deal for Ryan Smyth!!! We desperstely need help in the scoring department and he has said he would seriously consider waiving his no-move clause to come to the Rangers!!! Just a thought, but I think the wheels are in motion on this.

nyr1980
02-03-2012, 01:16 PM
I'd like Smyth a lot. Could get him cheap, maybe dump some payroll in the process, free up cap space for the summer, and he fits in the top-6 and helps the PP.

Brooks article mentions adding a defenseman. I'm presuming that means one to help th PP/offense. Anyone Luke Marc-Andre Bergeron in Tampa. He's really small and signed through next season. But his cap hit is only $1mil, he has a heavy shot and really nice PP numbers for his career.

Someone to look at maybe.

IAmARanger18
02-03-2012, 02:33 PM
Rumor has it we are in on Ryan Smyth also from Edmonton.

bsi
02-03-2012, 04:18 PM
Rumor has it we are in on Ryan Smyth also from Edmonton.

That's what we're already talking about here.Read the previous posts haha

liltedspop
02-03-2012, 08:07 PM
No thx Ill pass on Smyth & Bergeron! I would however strongly look into Getzlaf as Ive said for 3 years now

nyr1980
02-03-2012, 08:23 PM
There isn't a GM in the league that wouldn't take Getzlaf. I'm not a big fan of a rental either, but it looks like that's what it will come down to, so we might as well be realistic.

saintant182
02-03-2012, 08:27 PM
No thx Ill pass on Smyth & Bergeron! I would however strongly look into Getzlaf as Ive said for 3 years now

no im with the ryan smith as a RENTAL for this playoff run.... if these playoffs prove we are still a large step away then we can make a bigger splash but ryan smyth is solid and we can go ahead and get a good indication of what level of playoff team we are

nyr1980
02-03-2012, 08:48 PM
no im with the ryan smith as a RENTAL for this playoff run.... if these playoffs prove we are still a large step away then we can make a bigger splash but ryan smyth is solid and we can go ahead and get a good indication of what level of playoff team we are

I'd be cool with Smyth if:
A) no better player for a good price is there.
B) the price was right on Smyth

Also, Smyth would be, IMO, real help. Not just a deal for the sake of one.

bsi
02-03-2012, 10:03 PM
Ryan Smyth said today that he went to Edmonton to stay in Edmonton, said he moved around to much the last while and was planning on staying there. So there goes that theory

nyr1980
02-03-2012, 10:07 PM
He wouldn't be leaving permanently. He'd be re-signing there in the summer.

ElementCo27
02-03-2012, 10:58 PM
First things first: LTP, there is no way Anaheim is going to let go of Getzlaf without shaking up our current roster which is the OPPOSITE of what they want to.

In a realistic manner, Smyth seems like the best option for a mid-season rental if it is true that he would go to the Rangers. It would be nice to see how he works with our top players as he really doesn't have much to work with in Edmonton besides Nugent-Hopkins and Gagner. Staying on a team that is running in place will do him no justice besides getting paid to do so. If he'd like to make an impact on a championship then NY would be one of his best bets. In all honesty though I like the team where it's at. If the front office feels that Smyth can boost the team even further and give them the advantage they need though, I'm all for it. I'm happy with where they're at though. All the Rangers need is for Gaborik and Richards to start kicking it even more and for Dubinsky to throttle his game as well.

dm30roto
02-03-2012, 11:52 PM
No thanks on Ryan Smyth. There's few players on this squad that I'd let go to rent a old, bruised up winger. Maybe WW and like a 6/7th rounder, and I think that might be too much. I rather make a big move (aka bobby ryan or rick nash) or just try and get a good pp dman and try and sign Zach Parise in the free agency. Just my thought though.

bsi
02-03-2012, 11:58 PM
He wouldn't be leaving permanently. He'd be re-signing there in the summer.

Tell him that then, he flat out said he wasn't moving..lol

jets1989
02-04-2012, 12:17 AM
Wellman is a very good skater with good hands and instincts for the net. He loses too many physical battles to be effective at the NHL level currently.

Future
Wellman has become a top scorer at the AHL level, but still seems overmatched when he gets the call-up to St. Paul.

-Seems alright. Lets get him and Artie to hit the weights and they will be ready to go.

Rangers in 7
02-04-2012, 02:11 AM
i dont want smyth...id much rather look to his teammate hemsky considering he is younger and more talented

thegame248
02-04-2012, 02:17 AM
i dont want smyth...id much rather look to his teammate hemsky considering he is younger and more talented

Hemsky is about as soft as a bag of marshmallows, so no thanks. I want someone that can play Rangers style of hockey, someone like Ruutu from Carolina.

dashripdot
02-04-2012, 07:08 AM
Hemsky is about as soft as a bag of marshmallows, so no thanks. I want someone that can play Rangers style of hockey, someone like Ruutu from Carolina.

Rutuu's a good player -- usually -- but is he worth re-signing at $5 mil+? Because that's what he says he wants next season. And the 'Canes aren't marketing him as a rental; they want a lot in return. I still think Selanne's the best bet as a rental. If he'll waive to come to the Rangers, the price shouldn't be too high and he's one of the alternatives they need to help the PP (e.g., sniper up front or bomber from the point)

averymustgo
02-04-2012, 08:27 AM
Ruutu is dumber than thegame if he thinks he is worth anywhere near 5 million.

bsi
02-04-2012, 12:07 PM
I still feel a Ray Whitney trade coming on...I just do.

ShadyOne
02-04-2012, 12:14 PM
I think this is the beginnings of what will end up being a deal for Ryan Smyth!!! We desperstely need help in the scoring department and he has said he would seriously consider waiving his no-move clause to come to the Rangers!!! Just a thought, but I think the wheels are in motion on this.

No, we aren't "desperate" for more scoring. Currently rank 13th in the league in goals per game. Not terrible, considering we play a conservative style. And I wouldnt call a team that leads their conference in points, and a team that is second overall in the league, desperate for anything...

We could "use" some extra scoring though. Big difference. A team playing this well doesn't have to make a deal unless it makes sense. No need to overpay for anything. A fair deal, though, and we pull the trigger.

And, for the record, I really don't see Smyth as a deal that makes us that much better. Rather just keep what we have...

Garden Faithful
02-04-2012, 01:53 PM
Ruutu is dumber than thegame if he thinks he is worth anywhere near 5 million.

Have you ever thought about a career in standup comedy...you're more hilarious than nick cannon.

NYY09
02-05-2012, 12:27 PM
No, we aren't "desperate" for more scoring. Currently rank 13th in the league in goals per game. Not terrible, considering we play a conservative style. And I wouldnt call a team that leads their conference in points, and a team that is second overall in the league, desperate for anything...

We could "use" some extra scoring though. Big difference. A team playing this well doesn't have to make a deal unless it makes sense. No need to overpay for anything. A fair deal, though, and we pull the trigger.

And, for the record, I really don't see Smyth as a deal that makes us that much better. Rather just keep what we have...

Spot on. :clap: