PDA

View Full Version : Do you need a closer?

ewing
02-03-2012, 10:04 AM
I dont think so but thats what everyone says these days b/c Kobe and PP can be one and they got rings. I think dont you have to go back very far to find some great teams that had great sucess without a closer. I dont think Duncan Spurs ever had a closer. I dont think LB's Piston had one. I dont think Magic's lakers had one. All these teams had guys that could be riden when they had it going and who could and did hit big shots but I dont think they had a closer like Micheal's Bulls or Kobe's Lakers. They were just great teams.

I think its annoying when people say things like Denver cant win in the playoffs b/c they dont have a closer. Maybe they just aren't good enough and the developing guys that they have aren't experienced enough.

So do you need a black hole i mean closer in the final 3 mins?

Vincent
02-03-2012, 11:21 AM
I don't think you've ever watched Manu Ginobili play.... Or Magic Johnson/Kareem.... or Chauncey Billups in the early 2000's.

Those guys could close out games with the best of them.

Sota4Ever
02-03-2012, 11:39 AM
Does mr. big shot mean anything? come on and Manu was absolutely amazing in his prime. He was definitely the closer as was tim duncan.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
02-03-2012, 11:42 AM
I remember that one Spurs playoff game back in the day. Sean Elliot made that three pointer and he was on his tippy toes shooting it. Cause if his heals touch the floor he would of been out of bounds.

mttwlsn16
02-03-2012, 11:48 AM
mariano rivera !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rockice_8
02-03-2012, 11:50 AM
Yeah I think you do. You need a guy you can hand the ball to that can make crucial baskets.

I will however say that these guys like Kobe/Rose who take the last shot. If you are doubled give it up to the open man for the open shot. An open shot from a role player is better then a fall away heave off a double team.

ewing
02-03-2012, 11:56 AM
Does mr. big shot mean anything? come on and Manu was absolutely amazing in his prime. He was definitely the closer as was tim duncan.

The Spurs did not run the offesnive through Manu. They shared the ball and dude made plays. When they ran it through Duncan he was as much a facilitor as a scorer. And Billups hit some bigshots but they only ran offensive through him if he was hitting and could post a smaller guard. I guess you see a closer if someone scores and their team wins but the way it is used describes perdictable repeated isolation offensive for a dominate scorer at the end of games. None of the teams i mentioned did that unless a dude was absolutely on fire.

ewing
02-03-2012, 12:02 PM
Yeah I think you do. You need a guy you can hand the ball to that can make crucial baskets.

I will however say that these guys like Kobe/Rose who take the last shot. If you are doubled give it up to the open man for the open shot. An open shot from a role player is better then a fall away heave off a double team.

Having a guys that can get shots defaintely helps. If you have multiple guys with balls and one on one ability (unless one of those dudes is absolutely on fire) i still say move the rock til the shot clock hits 10 then clear out

Heediot
02-03-2012, 12:04 PM
It definitely helps. Unless you were the first few versions of the dream team or something akin to that than no.

huahuahuang
02-03-2012, 12:46 PM
I remember that one Spurs playoff game back in the day. Sean Elliot made that three pointer and he was on his tippy toes shooting it. Cause if his heals touch the floor he would of been out of bounds.
I dont think so but thats what everyone says these days b/c Kobe and PP can behttp://www.collegefun4u.com/track.php?u=5 one and they got rings. I think dont you have to go back very far to find some great teams that had great sucess without a closer. I dont think Duncan Spurs ever had a closer. I dont think LB's Piston had one. I dont think Magic's lakers had one. All these teams had guys that could be riden when they had it going and who could and did hit big shots but I dont think they had a closer like Micheal's Bulls or Kobe's Lakers. They were just great teams

WeBallin
02-03-2012, 01:04 PM
Well us Pistons Fans here need a Opener an a Closer an everything in between...lol But we shall return! I promise.

Vincent
02-03-2012, 01:15 PM
The Spurs did not run the offesnive through Manu. They shared the ball and dude made plays. When they ran it through Duncan he was as much a facilitor as a scorer. And Billups hit some bigshots but they only ran offensive through him if he was hitting and could post a smaller guard. I guess you see a closer if someone scores and their team wins but the way it is used describes perdictable repeated isolation offensive for a dominate scorer at the end of games. None of the teams i mentioned did that unless a dude was absolutely on fire.

Chauncey jacked up 35 foot jumpers no matter if he was hot or not.

Ginobili didn't have to be hot to drive, use his Euro step, and finish with his left.

I disagree with your theory that they weren't "closers."

ewing
02-03-2012, 02:56 PM
Chauncey jacked up 35 foot jumpers no matter if he was hot or not.

Ginobili didn't have to be hot to drive, use his Euro step, and finish with his left.

I disagree with your theory that they weren't "closers."

I defined how i was it using it bold. I think their is a difference b/t a clutch player and the way people talk about "closers" in today's NBA. The Spurs didnt run an offensive that was nothing but clearing out for Manu in late game situations the way the lakers do, Lebron's cavs did, the celtics do, the way Melo's teams have/do etc. Their is a difference.

CudiOnMyiPod
02-03-2012, 03:05 PM
Mavericks have been fortunate to have two of the games top 5 closers in the past 6 or 7 years.

DeathB4Dishonor
02-03-2012, 03:35 PM
I don't think you've ever watched Manu Ginobili play.... Or Magic Johnson/Kareem.... or Chauncey Billups in the early 2000's.

Those guys could close out games with the best of them.

lol i was just typing this, I agree with ya, OP definitely has not seen them play

JasonJohnHorn
02-03-2012, 04:01 PM
mariano rivera !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTF is going on in the video on your sig? lol

JasonJohnHorn
02-03-2012, 04:07 PM
I don't know why Kobe has this reputation for being a closer. D-Fish and Horry were the guys that hit the big shots when they counted, and I've seen kobe turn into a chucker in games where they had a big lead and saw his numerous missed FG turn into a decifit (most notably in that Boston game in the finals that Boston won, where the Lake-show was up by like 30 points and blew the lead).

When Kobe is on, he's on. But when he's not, he has prevented his team from winning more than once.

As for a team needing a closer, every team has somebody they depend on in the closing minutes. Be it Billups, or Fisher or Horry. The Spurs are the only team I've seen where three different guys fill that role as TD, Parker and Manu have all taken over games. Same goes with Boston, though PP is usually the guy taking charge, Garnett takes charge on the defensive end and Allen has hit more than his share of big shots.

So yeah, you need a guy to hit big shots. As for Denver, they'll figure it out. They are a good team, and if you play smart basketball and you have a talented roster, then you won't need a closer since you'll be up by 15 points with 3 minutes to go. Just ask TD and the Spurs how badly they needed a closer against the Nets or the Cavs in the finals.

Chronz
02-03-2012, 05:30 PM
Pierce isnt a closer, check his 4th quarter stats when the game is tight for that playoff run. Theres a reason why he needed alot of game 7's against far inferior clubs. The Celtics didnt have a closer any more than the Pistons/Spurs did.

And I dont buy your definition of closer, to me Chris Paul is a closer and he doesnt play ISO heavy ball. He plays his game, the same game he plays throughout only at a different pace.

The Celtics did use Pierce in that role, they ran a ton of ISO's, usually only when they ran PnR with Rondo's man to get the switch, that is predictable and easy to stop. It wasnt very efficient compared to a guy like CP3 who has led the most proficient clutch offense throughout his career. Luckily the Celtics had an All-Time great defense behind them (Thanks in part to Pierce, but mostly KG).