PDA

View Full Version : The Young and Deep teams

cbreezy34
02-03-2012, 01:58 AM
The Sixers, Pacers, Nuggets seem to be re-defining what it takes to win NBA games. I just like everyone else was convinced it was stars and only stars that could win you NBA games but now im not sure. Great Coaching, great defense, and great depth can beat any team. Both the Nuggets and Sixers have 6 players who average double figure points with two averaging 9 plus while the Pacers have 5 players averaing 10 plus points with 2 averaging 9 plus. While none of these teams have "superstars" they run up and down on opponents and until they tire out. It's refreshing to see the Knicks struggle with two stars and a defensive anchor. They have no defense, no depth, no coachinng, no point guard, etc and it proves you can't just throw stars together and win it all.

Lets take a look at both the Nuggets and Sixers rosters for a minute.

Nuggets- Have two good point guards in Andre Miller and Ty Lawson. Have two good SG's in Rudy Fernadez and Aaron Affalo. Have two above average fowards in Al Harrington, Dano Gallanari, and have Mozgov and Nene as their big men. This doesn't even mention Corey Brewer, Keneth Feried, Jordan Hamilton, or Chris Andersen. They are two plus deep at every position

Sixers- Have two good point guards in Lou Williams and Jrue Holiday. Lou Will is one of the best scoreres (if not the best) coming off the bench in the NBA and Jrue is a future star. Then at shooting guard you have Evan Turner and Jodie Meeks. Then you have Thad Young, and Iggy as your fowards both above average players. At big men you have Brand, Hawes, Vuvecic, and Lavoy Allen.

Both of these teams plus the pacers are two plus deep (quality) at every position which no other team can claim. Are we seeing the potential for a trend (have 2 quality players at each position even if they arent "stars") and outrun teams by being fresher?

I expect both the Sixers and Nuggets to make their respective confrence championchips. Let''s see if it happens.

cbreezy34
02-03-2012, 01:59 AM
FYI there are more then just these 3 teams that have this philosphy (Blazers and Thunder come to mind) I just thought it was interesting topic to bring up because I personally enjoy watching teams play team ball as opposed to just having stars and letting them take over each game. I find this to be the highest of quality basketball out there.

Slimsim
02-03-2012, 02:26 AM
Yup Knicks ****ed up thanks to our media once again. And basically forcing the Knicks to trade everything for melo, because we were snubbed by lebron. All I can do is imagine my old team with the addition of Shump Josh and chandler and only think how deep and threatening that team could have been. And still have cap flexibility and the Ammensty for 1 of our big contract if they were to accidentally get into a career ending injury. This is price you Pay for being large market team that had little success thing are rushed. Donnie put us in a good position and we ****ed that up in a blink of a eye. Things are truly looking Dark for the NYK again. Some people don't want to believe it or want to think a pg or a new coach can just make us good, but I'm not that delusional. We have a dysfunctional team with 2 stars that play to totally different styles of basketball. I see why Donnie left This franchise was destine to fail. Good job Denver

PacersForLife
02-03-2012, 02:59 AM
I love watching these teams succeed while the Knicks struggle after thinking they could just follow suit and just add some superstars and win a championship. Hopefully the superstars get their heads straight and realize it takes a team to win.

SeoulBeatz
02-03-2012, 03:01 AM
Yup Knicks ****ed up thanks to our media once again. And basically forcing the Knicks to trade everything for melo, because we were snubbed by lebron. All I can do is imagine my old team with the addition of Shump Josh and chandler and only think how deep and threatening that team could have been. And still have cap flexibility and the Ammensty for 1 of our big contract if they were to accidentally get into a career ending injury. This is price you Pay for being large market team that had little success thing are rushed. Donnie put us in a good position and we ****ed that up in a blink of a eye. Things are truly looking Dark for the NYK again. Some people don't want to believe it or want to think a pg or a new coach can just make us good, but I'm not that delusional. We have a dysfunctional team with 2 stars that play to totally different styles of basketball. I see why Donnie left This franchise was destine to fail. Good job Denver

Yup, I live in NY and I was a fan of the Amare and crew era. Wilson Chalder and Gallo were nice pieces on the rise and Raymond had pretty good chemistry with Amare. If you add Shumpert and Chandler to that mix that's a pretty good squad. Also Phil Jackson needs to step in for D'antoni.