PDA

View Full Version : Charles Barkley Apologizes to Fans for How Bad NBA's Quality of Play Has Been

NBA_Starter
02-02-2012, 07:27 PM
There are currently 30 teams in the NBA, but only 10 are actually worth watching -- at least according to former NBA power forward and current TV personality Charles Barkley.
Barkley ripped into the NBA for the low quality of play that's been exhibited so far this season during a radio interview with ESPN Chicago.
"As a NBA fan I want to apologize to the fans, I cannot believe how bad the NBA is right now. There are probably ten teams worth watching on a nightly basis," Barkley said on air during the Waddle and Silvy Show. "They have all these built-in excuse about it's the lockout. Let me tell you something if these teams played once a week they would still suck."
Barkley has never been one to hide his feelings about anything, but this is some refreshing honesty, even for him.
The NBA has absolutely been putting out a subpar product so far this season. That may be because of the shortened, and consequently intensified, season, but the truth is the regular season has always paled in comparison to playoff basketball.
Barkley's comments are by no means going to spur players to start trying harder or perform better, but hearing what most fans have been thinking come out of an insider's mouth will certainly bring some relief to those fans who have begun to wonder if it's just them.

http://www.nesn.com/2012/02/charles-barkley-apologizes-to-nba-fans-for-how-bad-nba-has-been-this-season.html

DeathB4Dishonor
02-02-2012, 07:34 PM
"Let me tell you something if these teams played once a week they would still suck."

Gotta love Chuck's blatantly honest opinions

smith&wesson
02-02-2012, 07:57 PM
He is right.

the thunder, clippers, heat, bulls, nuggets, 76ers, hawks & pacers are the only teams worth watching.

thats 7 out of 30 teams. thats terrible.

Monta is beast
02-02-2012, 08:10 PM
Try watching the Warriors lose every game in the fourth quarter. Jerry West needs to barrow Kobe, to close out games.

NYKalltheway
02-02-2012, 08:24 PM
Charles Barkley correct once more.

LOOTERX9
02-02-2012, 09:04 PM
Barkley = Jack ***...

WHODAT8o8
02-02-2012, 09:17 PM
Im sure majority of the population would rather have crappy basketball than no basketball

CityofChaos
02-02-2012, 09:30 PM
And I thought I was the only one who thought this season was BORING.

Dramedy
02-02-2012, 09:41 PM
I get what he's saying and I totally agree, but you can't tell me the Timberwolves aren't fun to watch. Rubio makes the game so entertaining.

Hawkize31
02-02-2012, 09:48 PM
Thats how every sport is. Not every team can be awesome. I don't know how Charles expects a large number of teams to be competitors.

smith&wesson
02-02-2012, 09:53 PM
Barkley = Jack ***...

he is right though

C_Mund
02-02-2012, 10:02 PM
As long as we have quasi-stars demanding trades to a list of six teams every time they approach the end of their contract this is how it's going to be. The fatigue/injuries are only adding to the lackluster ball being played. We just have to hope that the have-nots end up striking gold in the lottery a'la Sixers/Pacers/Thunder

Gritz
02-02-2012, 10:07 PM
If he want's to make it interesting, he should try to pull a comeback and then I might finally tune in to a d-league game watching him and Antoine Walker go at it

justinnum1
02-02-2012, 10:09 PM
charles was just raggin on lebron needing to just go bald lmfao

LOOTERX9
02-02-2012, 10:14 PM
he is right though

But why would the dumb *** say that when he's a paid analyst who is suppose to promote the league. It makes no sense for him to go on radio and tv and crap on a league he make a living from.

MTar786
02-02-2012, 10:15 PM
I love how all of you guys agree when barkley says it.. but when i make a thread about all the teams being trash a couple weeks ago compared to other seasons no one agrees.

NBA_Starter
02-02-2012, 10:59 PM
But why would the dumb *** say that when he's a paid analyst who is suppose to promote the league. It makes no sense for him to go on radio and tv and crap on a league he make a living from.

Because he is not taking into account who he works for and is being blatantly honest, I don't agree with everything he says but he is right here.

NBA_Starter
02-02-2012, 11:00 PM
I love how all of you guys agree when barkley says it.. but when i make a thread about all the teams being trash a couple weeks ago compared to other seasons no one agrees.

Sorry I didn't see said thread, I would have def agreed if I had.

Rafer17
02-03-2012, 12:19 AM
To be honest, I disagree. I've found this season to be very entertaining, their are so many stars in this league. The problem is the NBA individualizes that the NBA markets the individual player as opposed to making it revolve around the actual team. Thats why there are so many fairweather fans compared to other sports like the NFL. And when your not passionate about your own team winning, but actually watching for an individual player, your competitive drive is lowered substantially which most likely takes a tole on the whole entertainment factor of the game. I admit I am one of those people who would rather watch one certain player, rather than a whole team of players, but thankfully the NBA has so many high-level talents and all-stars, its not really a problem for me.

Gram
02-03-2012, 12:31 AM
And I thought I was the only one who thought this season was BORING.

You're not the only one of anything CoC. :laugh:

Gram
02-03-2012, 12:32 AM

Sorry, we were too busy getting dunked on by David Stern. :cool:

canzano55
02-03-2012, 01:26 AM
To be honest, I disagree. I've found this season to be very entertaining, their are so many stars in this league. The problem is the NBA individualizes that the NBA markets the individual player as opposed to making it revolve around the actual team. Thats why there are so many fairweather fans compared to other sports like the NFL. And when your not passionate about your own team winning, but actually watching for an individual player, your competitive drive is lowered substantially which most likely takes a tole on the whole entertainment factor of the game. I admit I am one of those people who would rather watch one certain player, rather than a whole team of players, but thankfully the NBA has so many high-level talents and all-stars, its not really a problem for me.Nothing personal, but I really detest your preference.

Cheer for your team or go home IMHO.

Sssmush
02-03-2012, 01:35 AM
Barkley should run for president, as the Tea Party candidate, now that the Republicans have gone for the establishment moderate mormon guy.

Barkley says what the people want to hear, people believe in him, he is a Barkley you can believe in, Barkley should immediately run for president on the Tea Party ticket (what? there is no Tea Party ticket?) but anyways just do it. I think that 1/3 of the country will vote for him immediately

Sadds The Gr8
02-03-2012, 01:37 AM
he's right. But that happens when all the good players jump ship and go play with each other in big markets.

mjt20mik
02-03-2012, 01:39 AM
he is not wrong

HouRealCoach
02-03-2012, 01:43 AM
I can only watch Memphis, Miami, LAC, Minnesota, & NY..

gwrighter
02-03-2012, 01:43 AM
With all of the top talent pulling out of the draft last year, and the subsequent talent hoarding that has become the NBA offseason we as NBA fans now have a ****** product. the NBA needs a hard cap.

HouRealCoach
02-03-2012, 01:46 AM
he's right. But that happens when all the good players jump ship and go play with each other in big markets.

This..

and also when a number of stars go down from injury or become a bust

Sssmush
02-03-2012, 03:07 AM

or actually, when there are a lot of good players, but all the coaches focus heavily on defense, so that the game becomes a lot tougher overall, it becomes tougher to score and make baskets.

and, the fact that there are really on 5 or 6 real superstars or highly above average (NBA average, that is) players (Lebron, Kobe, Wade, Dwight, Rose, CP3, Griffin) and then a handful of aging superstars (pierce, KG, Duncan, Nash) and then everybody else is about NBA average.

so, even if player X is really good, player Y is basically just as good, and they defend each other up real well, so then they just battle for inches on offense.

since the salary cap doesn't allow teams to build highly talented rosters, or keep a strong nucleus with great role players (a good role player has to sign with a lesser team for an overprice contract to become a savior) and because there are only a handful of good NBA coaches and very few teams that stick together long enough to work as a unit, you don't usually see any team really get way better than all the other teams.

Barkley, like most fans, is just noticing a higher number of missed shots, disrupted offensive possessions and a lack of fancy running plays and dunks, which he calls "bad basketball", but is really just defensive minded systems at work, in a parity league where the talent is more spread out among 30 teams, only a few coaches are really excellent, and there are only a handful of actual stars, in a league that imagines that it has dozens and dozens of wannabe superstars who arent

Birdmannn
02-03-2012, 05:16 AM
Im sure majority of the population would rather have crappy basketball than no basketball

Right on

jam
02-03-2012, 07:13 AM
Try watching the Warriors lose every game in the fourth quarter. Jerry West needs to barrow Kobe, to close out games.

I was completely taken aback and stunned reading West's account of his perceived role on and for the Warriors. He said that he wanted an advisory role but would be extraordinarily careful not to overstep the bounds of his position and status.

Jerry West is likely the most talented GM and evaluator of talent the NBA has ever seen. Even if West wants a limited role, the Warriors would be foolish not to honor West at every moment possible by trusting him to guide their franchise.

It's not that West is a savior; but it's simply common sense that the Warriors entrust one of the game's greatest minds with as much decision making responsibility as he can bear, and then a little bit more than that.

...as far as the NBA, it's entertainment. It's such a far cry from a sport, it would be almost ridiculous to call it a sport. College basketball is a game with actual coaching and strategy.

In the NBA, 90% of the coaches simply roll the ball out and let their one or two superstars go one on one. No one in their right mind could coherently argue that Scottie Brooks has any clue as to what he's doing as a coach. Yet, the Thunder have the second best record in the league. Why? It's because they have one of the two or three best players in the league and a point guard who's faster than just about any other player in the league.

As long as the salaries are what they are, as long as the front office and it's officiating staff are as corrupt as they all are; as long as fans don't know any better or don't demand anything different, you're going to see the same ol' same ol'.

That is, lazy star players who take a ton of shots, 7 footers getting paid seven figures annually for being 7 feet tall, and clueless owners who are funding the entire enterprise throwing money and caution to the wind.

The NBA will always be an embarrassment. But the league's brass will do everything in their considerable power to make it as entertaining as possible.