PDA

View Full Version : Woj: Lakers, Knicks, Spurs want J.R. Smith

Lidz
02-02-2012, 07:20 PM
Smith is an unrestricted free agent, and Chandler and Brooks are restricted free agents, likely to re-sign with Denver and Phoenix, respectively. Smith has significant interest around the NBA, including the Lakers, Knicks, Spurs and several more potential contenders.

-Adrian Wojnarowski

I, for one, think the Lakers could use him. They seem to be in need of another scoring option coming off of the bench.

Thoughts?

KobemvpBryant24
02-02-2012, 07:21 PM
I doubt he comes to the lakers, but if he does then we just got a lot more dangerous

dtmagnet
02-02-2012, 07:23 PM
Why on earth would the Knicks want him, are they trying to get worse?

DeathB4Dishonor
02-02-2012, 07:24 PM
JR Smith and Melo on the same team? Nobody else will be allowed a shot ..

Raps08-09 Champ
02-02-2012, 07:24 PM
Think he'll end up with the Knicks.

He grew up in NJ didn't he?

Iodine
02-02-2012, 07:25 PM
:pray: JR stay the **** away from the spurs :pray:

J4KOP99
02-02-2012, 07:26 PM
He would be great for the lakers... could back-up Kobe and provide some scoring and energy to the bench.

Slimsim
02-02-2012, 07:26 PM
jr would come of the bench and give us that much need offense

J4KOP99
02-02-2012, 07:28 PM
In regards to JR Smith and his attitude/ballhoggyness... I don't think that's an issue for the lakers or Spurs, if he were to go to one of those two...

However, if he were to choose NY, I think that is a huge mistake. D'Antoni barely has any hold on the team as it is and New York already has a guy that needs the ball in his hands all night. The Knicks need more facilitator's not offensive talents. If they could get a guy like Andre Miller, they would be golden.

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-02-2012, 07:29 PM

2009 Nuggets that went to WCF had JR and Melo on same team. Just sayin...

Lidz
02-02-2012, 07:30 PM
I see him as being a Crawford for one of those teams. Coming off of the bench to help close out games with his scoring. Playing with somebody like Kobe, he's going to know what his role is. Also playing for a coach like Pop, he's definitely going to know what his role is.

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-02-2012, 07:33 PM
Btw, whenever multiple teams are interested in a free agent, the Lakers almost never get him. So I give the Lakers a mmmmmm 0 percent chance to get JR Smith. He'll probably more than likely ends up with the Spurs.

knicks=love
02-02-2012, 07:37 PM

have you seen our bench? we need all the help we can get no matter how ****** they play on defense. if mike d'antoni is our coach, we might as well get more scoring.

ThunderousDemon
02-02-2012, 07:41 PM
Why wish he would come to the Lakers, I doubt it but who knows.

lakerboy
02-02-2012, 07:43 PM
I want him, Kenyon Martin and Stephen Jackson to the Lakers.

We'll have

Kenyon
SJax
Artest
JR Smith

in one team. Talk about nuts.

showtime24
02-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Lakers should sign him no matter what. We need him to back up Kobe.

Im curious what will the Lakers offer to JR?

xxplayerxx23
Knicks need a bench scorer, He can play and I agree mike d doesnt have hold but I think melo and amare can keep him under control. Jr can do whatever he wants with the second group But cant be a ball hog when he is on the court with Melo and amare

Lidz
Btw, whenever multiple teams are interested in a free agent, the Lakers almost never get him. So I give the Lakers a mmmmmm 0 percent chance to get JR Smith. He'll probably more than likely ends up with the Spurs.

If Kobe goes to him and says, "Yo, Come to the Lakers we need more scoring. When i'm on the bench I need you to be the scoring option on the floor. We tryna win another ring."

I don't know but that would sound pretty sweet to me.

Lidz
02-02-2012, 07:47 PM
2009 Nuggets that went to WCF had JR and Melo on same team. Just sayin...

In all fairness, Coach Karl had a lot to do with that. You never know how D'Antoni will handle them both.

lakers4sho
02-02-2012, 07:48 PM
(insert nba player name here) has been shown interest from (insert contending team here)

JEDean89
02-02-2012, 07:50 PM
JR is 26 and entering his prime. Why on earth would a sign on a team that can offer him max 2.5 mil and would be over the cap next year with only the full MLE to offer? He hasn't gotten his payday yet and will likely look to join an up and coming team that can make him both a starter and pay him well. The nets, and the clipps would be two great options for him.

lakers4sho
02-02-2012, 07:51 PM
If Kobe goes to him and says, "Yo, Come to the Lakers we need more scoring. When i'm on the bench I need you to be the scoring option on the floor. We tryna win another ring."

I don't know but that would sound pretty sweet to me.

Kobe personally arranged to transport raja bell with a heli to meet with him, and the bastard refused to even just meet.

J4KOP99
02-02-2012, 07:51 PM
(insert nba player name here) has been shown interest from (insert contending team here)

You don't think the lakers actually have interest in Jr Smith? I sure as hell think they do.

Lidz
02-02-2012, 07:52 PM
Kobe personally arranged to transport raja bell with a heli to meet with him, and the bastard refused to even just meet.

True, but we all know the history they had.

xxplayerxx23
02-02-2012, 07:53 PM
In all fairness, Coach Karl had a lot to do with that. You never know how D'Antoni will handle them both.

Comeon now, D antoni did take a team to the wcf. he has dealt with stars before(jr is no star just acts like one) Chandler, amare, And melo can handle JR before he goes overboard

Gibby23
Could the Lakers do a S&T with Denver and send the TE to them?

J4KOP99
JR is 26 and entering his prime. Why on earth would a sign on a team that can offer him max 2.5 mil and would be over the cap next year with only the full MLE to offer? He hasn't gotten his payday yet and will likely look to join an up and coming team that can make him both a starter and pay him well. The nets, and the clipps would be two great options for him.

He can just stay with whatever team he chooses for the rest of the year and then enter Free Agency...

Wes_Craven
02-02-2012, 07:56 PM
He can just stay with whatever team he chooses for the rest of the year and then enter Free Agency...

True.

The Final Boss
02-02-2012, 07:56 PM
If he comes to Los Angeles he better know his role and shut his mouth.

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-02-2012, 07:58 PM
True, but we all know the history they had.
Had nothing to do with the history. Jazz offered him way more money and gave him an ultimatum to immediately take it or leave it. If Raja waited even a bit longer just to meet with the Lakers, the Jazz were ready to take the offer off the table. They essentially had Raja's ball sac in their grasps.

Law25
02-02-2012, 07:59 PM
So far thats
Sheed
KMart
Agent0
JR Smith

We all ready have a poor mans Sheed with Murphy. He dosent have Sheeds post game, but he is good 10-27 feet out and is a very capable rebounder. We have a poor mans Kmart with McRoberts athletic big who can block a few shots. He hasnt used his mid game much this year and i have no clue how it matches up with KMarts. I think our bigs are solid we need guard play. Goudelock has been great the last 4 games and has alot of potential but Lakers are goona need experience off the bench come playoffs so they should look more towards Agent0, and JR Smith for bench fire power. Just thinking whats the chances that none of them come. Lakers are a solid bench away from dominance but i get the feeling they may have trouble signing quality bench players.

Lidz
02-02-2012, 08:00 PM
Comeon now, D antoni did take a team to the wcf. he has dealt with stars before(jr is no star just acts like one) Chandler, amare, And melo can handle JR before he goes overboard

Sure he has. But D'Antoni and Karl coach completely different. So even though they both made it to the WCF they did it differently. Looking at how the Knicks season is going, you don't know how a shooter like J.R. will fit into that offense full of shooters.

Wes_Craven
02-02-2012, 08:02 PM
Man the Nets are sitting pretty, especially when Dwight makes it to FA. They could sign him, re-sign Deron, most likely trade Lopez and have a plethora of FA's who'd want to sign with them.

xxplayerxx23
02-02-2012, 08:02 PM
Sure he has. But D'Antoni and Karl coach completely different. So even though they both made it to the WCF they did it differently. Looking at how the Knicks season is going, you don't know how a shooter like J.R. will fit into that offense full of shooters.

He would fit in great with the bench, He would be the leader of the bench, he could score at will off the bench, problem will be with melo amare and jr on the floor at the same time, But i think it could work

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-02-2012, 08:03 PM

You are right in that Dantoni took Suns to WCF, twice, and one of those times without STAT (2006). But remember, the main reason for Suns past success has been Steve Nash, and so Alvin Gentry with a Nash led team took the Suns to the 2010 WCF. So you can at the end of the day attribute Dantoni's PHX success mainly to Steve Nash. In that regard, not much difference between Dantoni and Gentry.

The Final Boss
02-02-2012, 08:04 PM
Lakers should sign him no matter what. We need him to back up Kobe.

Im curious what will the Lakers offer to JR?

Not to rain on your sig. parade, but you need an umbrella, man. That "beLieve" sig. is stupid, brother. That **** is for weak *** fans of weak *** teams when they have a Cinderella run in the playoffs. Here in Los Angeles we expect championships. We don't dream of championships.

Giraffes Rule
02-02-2012, 08:06 PM
Why the hell would the Spurs be in on this clown? When Manu and Ford get healthy they'll be 3 deep at both guards and small forward. Kenyon Martin makes sense. The only way this makes sense is if they trade a few of those perimeter players for Kaman, but New Orleans can surely get a better package elsewhere.

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-02-2012, 08:07 PM
To Law25, Sheed is tougher than Murphy and can teach Bynum and Gasol a thing or two about toughness. And he will defend his teammates and he is a great defender and will give the Bosh's, LeBron's, Durant's and Dirk's at the 3 and 4 positions a lot of trouble.

NYKnickFanatic
02-02-2012, 08:09 PM

Pop would have his *** in check. Could actually work out really well for the Spurs.

Lidz
02-02-2012, 08:11 PM
Had nothing to do with the history. Jazz offered him way more money and gave him an ultimatum to immediately take it or leave it. If Raja waited even a bit longer just to meet with the Lakers, the Jazz were ready to take the offer off the table. They essentially had Raja's ball sac in their grasps.

Did you find out what he had for dinner while you two talked on the phone & he told you that?

Come on, yo. I know that's your opinion but you can't dismiss their history. After all, they were just going at it a couple of weeks ago in which Raja was called for a tech in that game which lead to more trash talk after the game. You can't dismiss their history as a reason why he may not have wanted to play with him.

Lidz
02-02-2012, 08:12 PM
He would fit in great with the bench, He would be the leader of the bench, he could score at will off the bench, problem will be with melo amare and jr on the floor at the same time, But i think it could work

I agree, it could work. It would be very interesting to see how he would fit.

GunFactor187
02-02-2012, 08:13 PM
JR should really go to the Bulls, be a scoring threat off the bench, instant 6th man of the year candidate.

Lidz
02-02-2012, 08:17 PM
JR should really go to the Bulls, be a scoring threat off the bench, instant 6th man of the year candidate.

That would be a great fit. They could use some scoring off the bench also.

Law25
02-02-2012, 08:20 PM
To Law25, Sheed is tougher than Murphy and can teach Bynum and Gasol a thing or two about toughness. And he will defend his teammates and he is a great defender and will give the Bosh's, LeBron's, Durant's and Dirk's at the 3 and 4 positions a lot of trouble.

Thats all true, and Im not doubting hes better but If the Lakers are addressing the teams needs than they should go for the guards. Ya dig

dtmagnet
02-02-2012, 08:22 PM
Could the Lakers do a S&T with Denver and send the TE to them?

Sign and trades aren't allowed mid-season.

Punk
02-02-2012, 08:22 PM

...We would be getting worse by adding a Sixth Man to help our bench play?

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-02-2012, 08:23 PM
Thats all true, and Im not doubting hes better but If the Lakers are addressing the teams needs than they should go for the guards. Ya dig

Oh agree, need a guard for sure, but we need an enforcing big man or SF that plays big to help Bynum and Gasol defensively.

Corey
02-02-2012, 08:27 PM
Oh agree, need a guard for sure, but we need an enforcing big man or SF that plays big to help Bynum and Gasol defensively.

Lamar Odom...

Iodine
02-02-2012, 08:30 PM

And this is why the Kobe-Raja beef is always ****ing awesome

SluggeR
02-02-2012, 08:30 PM
J.R. Smith may go to the Bulls, just so he can be "flamed-up" every night SMH.

showtym24
02-02-2012, 08:32 PM
Hope lakers get him.

wizardsfan3
02-02-2012, 08:34 PM
JR always answers questions on Twitter and many people have asked him to come to LA Lakers and he's said no every single time.

BKLYNpigeon
02-02-2012, 08:35 PM
I doubt JR will be a Laker.

Kobe has been busting him up for years on the court.

Law25
02-02-2012, 08:35 PM

Both are needed, but I think guard play is of higher importance.

Ciruam
02-02-2012, 08:55 PM
Would love him off the bench for the Knicks,we desperately need some scoring punch their and some vet leadership.

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-02-2012, 09:05 PM
Both are needed, but I think guard play is of higher importance.

As Corey so wisely pointed out, we need a big that has the intangibles of LO. That's what helped us get to 3 finals and 2 chips. Small ball good for the regular season...but big ball good for the playoffs.

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-02-2012, 09:08 PM
I doubt JR will be a Laker.

Kobe has been busting him up for years on the court.

See Metta World Peace ala Ron Artest and Matt Barnes.

nickdymez
02-02-2012, 09:16 PM

They were on the same team before. Other people were allowed to shoot.

TheNumber37
02-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Jr would actually help the Knicks cause they can't score ii or hit the 3. he would boost their bench a lot. however, I think playing with Kobe makes him more of the player he needs to be.

kblo247
02-02-2012, 09:43 PM
JR could very well start in LA or at least close every game on the perimeter with Kobe and Fisher as Kobe can play SF and the team has played musical chairs there all year. Hell the SF spot trio of World Peace/Barnes/Ebanks has played worse than Fisher/Blake/Goudelock all year

Lidz
02-02-2012, 09:46 PM
JR could very well start in LA or at least close every game on the perimeter with Kobe and Fisher as Kobe can play SF and the team has played musical chairs there all year. Hell the SF spot trio of World Peace/Barnes/Ebanks has played worse than Fisher/Blake/Goudelock all year

That's what I was thinkin'. He would come off the bench, sure, but would still end up playing more minutes than Kobe at the SG position if Kobe moves to SF to close games. That would REALLY space the floor.

MTar786
02-02-2012, 09:50 PM
jr would be good for the twolves. wont happen.. but he'd be a great fit for them

kblo247
02-02-2012, 09:50 PM
I can see that happening as they used to close games with Fisher, Sasha, and Kobe

5ass
02-02-2012, 09:55 PM
none of those teams will get him

ldawg
02-02-2012, 09:55 PM
Lakers Need Jr Smith the most of any team out there and will get plenty of minutes there. His best fit is Lakers or Bulls. Smith has Also been a great player and Going to the Lakers will put him on the map.

Njsportsfreak
02-02-2012, 10:14 PM
Be a huge pick up for the nets think of it jr smith, d-will, Brooks, hump, and okur/ soon lopez not a bad line up and there not that far out of playoffs right now

adidas2307
02-02-2012, 10:16 PM
Wouldn't mind having Smith knocking down 15 points a game here in Chicago.

LA4life24/8
02-03-2012, 01:26 AM
I want him, Kenyon Martin and Stephen Jackson to the Lakers.

We'll have

Kenyon
SJax
Artest
JR Smith

in one team. Talk about nuts.

^^^ Sjax? theres no notion of him coming to LA i dont believe and kmart is gonna be a clipper or heat for sure with that said i wouldnt mind getting JR, instant offense off the bench as long as .he contains the crazy

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-03-2012, 09:00 AM
we still dont have a backup for kobe

kdspurman
02-03-2012, 09:35 AM

That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw this... I can entertain the idea of K-Mart (though not crazy about it) cause he's a big guy. This makes 0 sense which is why I doubt anything happens.

BklynKnicks3
02-03-2012, 09:49 AM
Please come to knicks we need a 3rd option bad and another guy who can handle the ball

mttwlsn16
02-03-2012, 09:58 AM
I doubt he comes to the lakers, but if he does then we just got a lot more dangerous

which player are you?

Denver-boy
02-03-2012, 10:10 AM
hell be back in denver, where his real fans are!!

jayjay16
02-03-2012, 10:22 AM
...We would be getting worse by adding a Sixth Man to help our bench play?

Did you see the game last night,our bench was horrible and has been all year he would be a welcome addition to the Knicks.