PDA

View Full Version : 2013/14 NCAA Game Thread/Prospects Watch

NBA_Starter
02-02-2012, 05:03 PM
Drummond had 18 points and 7 boards last night.

JDM
02-02-2012, 06:45 PM
I'm intrigued by Drummond, mostly because of the hype that comes with him by experts, but it just seems every time I go to watch a UCONN game he isn't in the game and I siwtch the channel. Gahhhhhh, my stupid short attention span. Anyone have any specific descriptions about his game?

NBA_Starter
02-02-2012, 07:19 PM
I'm intrigued by Drummond, mostly because of the hype that comes with him by experts, but it just seems every time I go to watch a UCONN game he isn't in the game and I siwtch the channel. Gahhhhhh, my stupid short attention span. Anyone have any specific descriptions about his game?

Midway through the season, Drummond has the pole position to be the top overall pick. At 6-foot-10 and 270 pounds, Drummond is said to be the fastest player on the UConn team. Remarkable when you consider that most players lose their mobility when they bulk up to his size. This from an NBA scout: "I see guys like (Anthony) Davis all the time, guys like Drummond are rare. It's been five years since the last one (physically dominant, elite level big man) which was Oden." He is in the same category athletically with Amare Stoudemire and Dwight Howard and while he's still raw offensively, he shows excellent finishing touch around the basket. The biggest chink in his armor is his free throw shooting, where he hits at a miserable sub-40 percent rate.

Comparison: Amare Stoudemire Stats: 10.3 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 2.7 bpg

http://hoopshype.com/draft.htm

JDM
02-02-2012, 07:43 PM
I actually have to agree to an extent about what the scout said about Davis. I see tall, rail thin big men all the time. The thing that makes him special, though, is his anticipation. The time's that I've seen him he's been pretty impressive, but I remember the game against Indiana where their big man dominated him because he was too thin. Simply, he needs to bulk up.

Drummond seems to have that already lol. I was watching some clips and he's definitely a big boy.

NBA_Starter
02-02-2012, 11:06 PM
I actually have to agree to an extent about what the scout said about Davis. I see tall, rail thin big men all the time. The thing that makes him special, though, is his anticipation. The time's that I've seen him he's been pretty impressive, but I remember the game against Indiana where their big man dominated him because he was too thin. Simply, he needs to bulk up.

Drummond seems to have that already lol. I was watching some clips and he's definitely a big boy.

I'm kind of scared of taking Davis too but he PWNS every time I see him play in some fashion, either blocks, rebounds, points etc and sometimes all categories. Rick Bonnell with the CharlotteObserver says he has a top scout who says Davis is a can't miss #1 pick.

JDM
02-02-2012, 11:47 PM
That's interesting, I guess we know who is probably on top of our board. Anyway I agree with you as well, with the exception of the Indiana game I have been impressed with Davis. Besides his obvious physical attributes, his anticipation and timing is remarkable. All he needs to do is add muscle, because once he gets in the NBA he's going to be pushed out of the way for rebounds and positioning.

I just hope we have multiple 1st round picks this year. There are literally so many prospects that I find could somehow help our team.

NBA_Starter
02-02-2012, 11:53 PM
That's interesting, I guess we know who is probably on top of our board. Anyway I agree with you as well, with the exception of the Indiana game I have been impressed with Davis. Besides his obvious physical attributes, his anticipation and timing is remarkable. All he needs to do is add muscle, because once he gets in the NBA he's going to be pushed out of the way for rebounds and positioning.

I just hope we have multiple 1st round picks this year. There are literally so many prospects that I find could somehow help our team.

Agreed if we could get one of the top 2 bigs and somehow get a fringe Top 7 pick and somehow get an MKG or Jeremy Lamb too, that would be an incredible draft in my opinion.

JDM
02-03-2012, 12:11 AM
^Yep.

Or, given the uncertainty of the lottery (which I HATE with a passion), if we get like the #3 pick and David and Drummond are gone, we could get Barnes and with the second 1st we could get Sullinger, Jones III, one of the Zellers (Cody preferably), or some other big man which I am forgetting. There really are a lot of good prospects this year. :drool:

bigsams50
02-03-2012, 10:59 AM
As much as i like Barnes, i would be a little dissapointed if we miss out on Drummond or Davis. We need a big man bad

NBA_Starter
02-03-2012, 08:49 PM
As much as i like Barnes, i would be a little dissapointed if we miss out on Drummond or Davis. We need a big man bad

Exactly, we got to get a big man from somewhere, I don't see any young big men in free agency.

NBA_Starter
02-04-2012, 10:00 PM
Anthony Davis had 22 points, 8 rebounds, and 8 blocks in 28 minutes tonight.

JDM
02-04-2012, 10:46 PM
:drool:

bigsams50
02-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Anthony Davis would be nasty next to Biyombo. God i hope we can trade some players and get another lottery pick. So much talent in this draft

NBA_Starter
02-07-2012, 11:32 PM
Davis looked pretty good tonight vs Florida, he didn't rebound as much as I thought he could of but maybe he just had an off rebounding night b/c everything else was good!

bobcat fan
02-10-2012, 01:14 AM
if we loose the top 2 big man in the draft that leaves us for barnes or mkg.
then our big men should stay...

Corey
02-10-2012, 02:59 AM
If I were a 'Cats fan, I'd be praying for Davis. I think Drummond has bust written all over him.

He's got a great body for the NBA, but he's such a project. His fundamentals aren't there and his game is really underdeveloped. As a fan of the Big East, Ive been so disappointed with him this year.

If both are gone where you're picking, I'd trade down 2-3 spots and snag Sullinger or Robinson with Barnes and MKG/Jones likely going between the sets of bigs.

NBA_Starter
02-10-2012, 04:50 AM
If I were a 'Cats fan, I'd be praying for Davis. I think Drummond has bust written all over him.

He's got a great body for the NBA, but he's such a project. His fundamentals aren't there and his game is really underdeveloped. As a fan of the Big East, Ive been so disappointed with him this year.

If both are gone where you're picking, I'd trade down 2-3 spots and snag Sullinger or Robinson with Barnes and MKG/Jones likely going between the sets of bigs.

I really like MKG but we really need a Big. After watching Drummond a few times he screams Kwame Brown to me. :crazy:

NBA_Starter
02-10-2012, 04:05 PM
Anthony Davis has solidified his spot as the No. 1 pick in this year’s draft.

Davis, a 6-foot-10, 200 pound forward, has often drawn comparison to a young Kevin Garnett. He’s an aggressive rebounder, dominant shot-blocker, and isn’t afraid to dunk over people.

Asked to point out a flaw in Davis’ game, one NBA talent evaluator struggled to come up with a response.

"I don't know,” the talent evaluator said. “Maybe what kind of offensive player he'll be [in the NBA]?"

Davis is averaging 15.2 points on 66 percent shooting.

Via CBSSports.com

homestarunner93
02-12-2012, 01:28 PM
I can give you a flaw on Davis. He's too thin. He has a lot of projectable skills in the NBA, but I think he will struggle, at least early on.

JDM
02-12-2012, 03:10 PM
I agree he's too thin, but that's the only thing I find wrong with him.

NBA_Starter
02-12-2012, 06:11 PM
I agree he's too thin, but that's the only thing I find wrong with him.

Davis hasn't had much time to develop a Big-Man game and yet he is already pretty good... I really cant see the guy not developing into a franchise player at this point. Most people get clumsy when they get a growth spurt that has them grow 2 inches, Anthony Davis went from 6'2 to 6'11 and seems totally confident with his body. The **** if I would ever get used to magically growing 9 inches.

JDM
02-12-2012, 09:28 PM
hahaha, yeah really. If that were me whenever I started to run I would probably run like one of these people

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-pKiP4RiCSo8/Tw2f9DY8N7I/AAAAAAAAEtc/XXGlETohiLQ/s1600/2011Apr02_3982circus1.jpg

JDM
02-17-2012, 10:25 PM
Gahh I hate the lottery. I am really scared about it.

bobcat fan
02-21-2012, 07:25 AM
hope this coming lottery gives us a good picks...
hope things going to work out on our side..

RadioKiller
03-02-2012, 12:36 PM
My draft wish-list so far is (in order): Anthony Davis, Harrison Barnes, MKG.

I like to think of Anthony Davis as a better, more explosive, more athletic Noah. Both are very skilled in that they can pass and dribble very well for a big man...among other things. If Davis plays the 4, it'd be nice if he can develop a mid range jumper because many of his points are just dunks.

JDM
03-02-2012, 09:37 PM
My order is either that or switch Barnes and MKG. I haven't decided who I would rather have.

Davis, though, would without a doubt be the pick. His explosiveness and athleticism is unbelievable. Once he beefs up I think he could easily be like Dwight Howard.

RadioKiller
03-02-2012, 11:52 PM
Yeah the only reason I favor Barnes over MKG is a better chance of becoming a go to guy. MKG does a lot of things well but I am not sure he's someone I can rely on to get me points on a consistent basis. At least not as much as Barnes. But wouldn't be disappointed with either, just would chose Barnes if I had the choice.

Here is another prospect that might be available in the 2nd round if he enters the draft. Here's my post from another board about a week ago:

Pretty good game at MSG between ND and St. John's.

There's this dude on St. John's that just stood out physically to me and it is Moe Harkless. He just looks like a NBA body and he is only a freshman.

He looked very athletic and could finish around the rim. He had a clutch And1 near the end of the game. Read that he needs to work on his shooting though. Not sure if he will enter the draft as he is only a freshman but someone to look out for especially if we go big in Anthony Davis in the first. I am sure if he comes out this year he'll be an early second round pick.

Finished with 22 Pts (8/16 shooting), 9 Reb, 1 Ast, 3 Stl, 2 Blk.

JDM
03-03-2012, 12:17 AM
Yeah that's the question I keep coming to when I think of Barnes and MKG, who can be a go to scorer? Barnes fits that description much better than MKG. We really just need someone who can score and Barnes can certainly do that. I just love the way MKG plays.

I'll keep an eye out for Harkless, I assume he's a SF?

RadioKiller
03-03-2012, 01:05 AM
Yep a SF. He is raw but if you watch a SJU game you'll know exactly who he with just one glance at the players on the court. He is one of those guys that just looks like a pro. I don't think it'd be in his best interests to come out because he is only a frosh but who knows with kids these days.

JDM
03-03-2012, 02:50 PM
Alright sounds good.

A couple of prospects that I would like to take a look at in the late 2nd round or as UDFAs are Davidson's Jake Cohen and De'Mon Brooks. Cohen's a junoir and Brooks is a sophomore so they may not come out this year. Both in my opinion would be good backups. If they don't get drafted, I would invite both to camp and see what they can do.

NBA_Starter
03-03-2012, 11:09 PM
Ryan (ABQ)

I have heard rumblings Drummond and Kidd-Gilchrist are stayng in school another year, what would the 2013 class look like then?
Chad Ford (1:47 PM)

Haven't heard that at all on Drummond. Given the sanctions UConn is facing, I think he's probably coming. I've been hearing the Kidd-Gilchrist stuff all year and last weekend he told reporters he was staying in school. Usually I'm very skeptical about this sort of thing. Players say all the time that they're staying and then declare. But in the case of Kidd-Gilchrist, I believe him. He's a different sort of kid. Had different priorities. Wants to be the best ... not just make the money. John Calipari may convince him to leave ... but I really do believe he wants to stay in college.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/42723

From Chad Ford's chat earlier this week, def good news for us as it would take a small miracle in the last 30 games for us not to get a Top 3 pick.

JDM
03-03-2012, 11:27 PM
I read that earlier too. I actually watched part of the UCONN game and I was impressed with Drummond.

RadioKiller
03-04-2012, 02:55 PM
Just finished watching the Florida-Kentucky game. Lots of prospects from this game.

Anthony Davis Played really well on defense altering and blocking a good bit of UF shots. Offensively, like I have noticed before, is mainly dunks. He did hit one 3, but then got ahead of himself and missed the next on the next possesion. Although I will say against Young, he did better starting from the perimeter and driving in. He is quicker and more athletic than Young and was able to drive by him. His handles helped that as well. When he started in the post, Young (who is a beast physically) was driven off the post a bit and had to fall away on a couple of shots.

I wish he would either bulk up or improve his mid range game. If he bulked up a bit he wouldn't be pushed off the block as much. But if he improved his mid range game he could use that to his advantage drawing defenders out so he could drive if he pumped. Still a great athlete and nothing really has changed my opinion of him. Very skilled big man and I know it seems like an odd comparison but think of a more gifted Noah. Finished with 22 Pts, 11 Reb, 6 Blk

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist Not too much of a factor this game. He has some nice dishes and rebounds. Still don't think I'd select him over Barnes.

Doron Lamb Thought I was going to write more about him but was even less of a factor than MKG. I think he might have hit one 3 but can't remember much from him.

Terrence Jones Don't let the points fool you. Most of his work game in the first half but his shot selection is poor in my eyes. I noticed that las year as well. He will just drive and try to use his athleticism to shoot over you. Shoots too much in traffic, it just happened to work for a bit in the first half. Never really liked him as a player.

Patric Young Different player than Davis in that he is strictly a post player. He has a nice jump hook shot but after a while he started to get hesitant at some points as Davis started timing his shot. But Young still put up some points with jump hooks, dunks and putbacks. It was a great match up to watch. Finished with 21 Pts, 9 Reb.

Bradley Beal Very skilled player but had a poor shooting day, couldn't buy a basket. All around player and very good rebounder for his size but didn't do too much this game

NBA_Starter
03-04-2012, 07:45 PM
Just finished watching the Florida-Kentucky game. Lots of prospects from this game.

Anthony Davis Played really well on defense altering and blocking a good bit of UF shots. Offensively, like I have noticed before, is mainly dunks. He did hit one 3, but then got ahead of himself and missed the next on the next possesion. Although I will say against Young, he did better starting from the perimeter and driving in. He is quicker and more athletic than Young and was able to drive by him. His handles helped that as well. When he started in the post, Young (who is a beast physically) was driven off the post a bit and had to fall away on a couple of shots.

I wish he would either bulk up or improve his mid range game. If he bulked up a bit he wouldn't be pushed off the block as much. But if he improved his mid range game he could use that to his advantage drawing defenders out so he could drive if he pumped. Still a great athlete and nothing really has changed my opinion of him. Very skilled big man and I know it seems like an odd comparison but think of a more gifted Noah. Finished with 22 Pts, 11 Reb, 6 Blk

With him being a G until his insane growth spurt I think he has it in him, he has room for a KG like mid range jumper.

JDM
03-04-2012, 08:12 PM
I completely agree, his inner-guard will come out eventually. The guy's gonna be a boss.

NBA_Starter
03-04-2012, 11:56 PM
I am kind of intrigued by Beal but I've only seen him play like twice.

RadioKiller
03-05-2012, 12:25 AM
With him being a G until his insane growth spurt I think he has it in him, he has room for a KG like mid range jumper.

Well he really hasn't show it thus far. Eventually it will have to show.

I am kind of intrigued by Beal but I've only seen him play like twice.

Yeah a lot of the comparisons are to Ray Allen and it's not the best comparison. He can shoot, yes. But he also does well with the ball in his hands. He is a good rebounder as well. He is a well rounded player that is probably the best, if not one of the best, SG prospects. He is also a good and mature kid....that never hurts. Not sure if he enters the draft though, could very well see him staying.

NBA_Starter
03-08-2012, 05:32 PM
Drummond put up 14 and 10 even though they hardly ever look his way and he also added 3 blocks, he had one real sick put back that caromed off of the rim, he is a freak athlete. They also mentioned that Calhoun may be retiring, I sure hope so then UConn would be a dumpster fire for sure with the penalties already handed out and the coach leaving. I don't want anything to do with Lamb, he disappeared in the second half and all he does is shoots so when he disappears he really is gone, he drove the lane one time and had Drummond for an easy finish but spun away from him and flung it to some white guy on the other side. I'm starting to get the feel that either Davis, Drummond, or Barnes will be on our team next year if Barnes doesn't decide to stay another year. As long as Drummond comes out I wouldn't be thrilled but I'd be content to have him if we don't get lucky (which we probably won't) and land Davis.

bigsams50
03-08-2012, 06:28 PM
I'm torn between Drummond and Davis. Drummond is a freak and could become a beast. But he also is high bust potential. Davis is a beast, and i think the safer pick between the two, but i think Drummond might have the most potential. IDK why, but i have a feeling the lottery process will **** us and we wont have the shot at either of the two

NBA_Starter
03-08-2012, 06:39 PM
I'm torn between Drummond and Davis. Drummond is a freak and could become a beast. But he also is high bust potential. Davis is a beast, and i think the safer pick between the two, but i think Drummond might have the most potential. IDK why, but i have a feeling the lottery process will **** us and we wont have the shot at either of the two

If both Davis and Drummond are gone, I'd take Barnes, yes he has some limitations but he is still too good to pass up. We can get another big next draft, Nerlens Noel is considered better than Davis at this point in their developments by some analysts anyway and you have to remember we are probably going to suck next season too.

bigsams50
03-08-2012, 06:53 PM
If both Davis and Drummond are gone, I'd take Barnes, yes he has some limitations but he is still too good to pass up. We can get another big next draft, Nerlens Noel is considered better than Davis at this point in their developments by some analysts anyway and you have to remember we are probably going to suck next season too.

I wouldnt mind Barnes. I just like the idea of pairing Biyombo with Davis or Drummond. And we probably will suck again, i am just worried with our drafting history. We need to start drafting well. Henderson and Bismack is a great start. (still not sold on Kemba, but i am praying lol)

JDM
03-08-2012, 11:33 PM
I still like Davis quite a bit more than Drummond, but I'll take either one.

And I'm with Sam, I just know that the lottery will place us with the 4th pick (the worst that we can do) and one of the big 4 will go back to college.

NBA_Starter
03-10-2012, 01:21 AM
The more I watch Anthony Davis I am starting to realize we will not be lucky enough to get into position to draft him, the guy had an off game against LSU and still managed 12 points, 14 boards, and 6 blocks. That is just ridiculous!

RadioKiller
03-10-2012, 04:06 PM
Watched UF and UK again, prospects everywhere.

What an amazing semi-final game in the SEC tourney. I basically considered this the final.

Thought Davis, Lamb, Young, and Beal all played well. Jones brought the energy for the Cats that propelled them. But Terrence was so bad offensively. He was doing his normal shtick where he just tries to throw up shots over people, this time it didn't fall.

Anthony Davis Shot the ball outside better. It's funny so many people compare him to Camby because he threw a couple alley oops in the manner Camby throws it to Aldridge so often. Great athlete, we can only hope the ping pong balls go our way...probably won't.

Doron Lamb Quietly had himself a ball game. Did much better than his last outing vs UF. Shot the ball well. We could always use shooters, but won't have a chance to get him

Patric Young Faded towards the end but he looked really good in the post vs Davis. Used his muscular frame to get great position. He then used his wide body to do jump hooks over him.

Bradley Beal Shot the ball really well, especially early. Also has the ability to drive and get to the basket. I think one time even over Davis. Also a great rebounder for his size. Might have been his best game this year.

Teague and Murphy also had good games.

I think Davis projects for as a 4 than a 5 after seeing more and more of him.

NBA_Starter
03-10-2012, 08:27 PM
The more I see of Beal he kind of reminds me of a young D Wade, I don't think you can say he's had that type of college impact yet but he may if he stays 1 more year but either way I see him as being a Great pro.

JDM
03-11-2012, 11:43 AM
^ I agree. Beal seems to have the potential to be a great pro. Davis is still so good though, which means we'll get ****ed in the lottery.

NBA_Starter
03-11-2012, 04:24 PM
No matter how many games the Charlotte Bobcats lose this season, they'd have at most a 25 percent chance at receiving the top pick in June's NBA draft.

The NBA determines the top three picks in every draft by a weighted lottery among the teams missing the playoffs. Non-playoff teams that miss a top-three pick are lined up fourth through 14th, in reverse order of their records.

The NBA established a draft lottery in 1985 to avoid the perception a team might intentionally lose to get the first pick. Commissioner David Stern has said he favors maintaining the lottery process, since every decade there will be one or more draft prospect so impactful there should be no speculation a team tanked games to get him.

The league uses a thousand combinations of numbered Ping-Pong balls to determine those first three picks. The team that finishes with the worst record - right now that would be the Bobcats - would receive 250 out of 1,000 chances. The team with the worst record is guaranteed at least the fourth-best pick.

The odds for the team with the worst record:

First pick - 25 percent.

Second pick - 21.5 percent.

Third pick - 17.8 percent.

Fourth pick - 35.7 percent.

In the past 10 NBA drafts only twice have the teams with the worst record - the Orlando Magic in 2004 and the Cleveland Cavaliers in 2003 - received the top pick.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/03/10/3088712/bobcats-could-get-25-shot-at-no.html

bigsams50
03-11-2012, 07:06 PM
**** the NBA lottery system. Its ********.

NBA_Starter
03-11-2012, 09:49 PM
**** the NBA lottery system. Its ********.

agree

JDM
03-12-2012, 06:54 PM
Yep, I've always hated it and I always will.

JDM
03-17-2012, 11:48 PM
Harkless has declared for the draft. If we can get back into the late 1st, I would love to get him.

homestarunner93
03-18-2012, 12:15 AM
I want Royce White on this team. His skill-set is incredible.

JDM
03-19-2012, 06:01 PM
I'll give him a look, what's his specialty or skill-set specifically?

homestarunner93
03-19-2012, 10:44 PM
I'll give him a look, what's his specialty or skill-set specifically?

He is 6'8'' 270 pounds, and he is the primary ball handler for Iowa State. He's absurd.

JDM
03-19-2012, 11:35 PM
Holy ****. I remember watching the post-game show after one of the games and I remember them talking about how dominant he was but I didn't pay much mind to it. I'll be sure to look him up.

NBA_Starter
03-22-2012, 04:08 PM
Dan (Minneapolis)

Chad, which player(s) in the Sweet 16 can do the most for their draft stock?
Chad Ford (1:32 PM)

A big game by Bradley Beal could propel him up a few more spots. Right now he's No. 4 on our Big Board, but I've had several GMs tell me in the past few days that he's their second favorite player in this draft. If they could hang their hat on a couple of big games down the stretch, he could get there. Obviously Perry Jones really needs to redeem himself after a tough first weekend in the tournament. If Dion Waiters keeps playing well, he could keep rising on our boards as well.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/43033

If Beal gets up to 2 or 3 I will feel a lot better about missing out on Davis.

RadioKiller
03-23-2012, 12:54 AM
I'll post what I posted on another board:

Bradley Beal might of had his best game of the season. Either this one of the previous Kentucky game.

I really wish he was a 3 because he'd be my second choice behind Davis.

He was really efficient tonight. He is a good shooter, great rebounder for his size, and can finish around the basket. Doesn't necessarily have the best handles but still finds ways to penetrate and finish around the basket. Defensively, I would say he is adequate. He normally has to play the 3 for UF and has to guard bigger opponents. Good prospect and a great kid.

If Beal gets up to 2 or 3 I will feel a lot better about missing out on Davis.

Why would it matter what number he is on Chad Ford's Big Board? He is still the same player regardless of how others view him.

I like him behind Davis as well, just wish he was a few inches taller. But he doesn't necessarily play small.

homestarunner93
03-23-2012, 01:54 PM
I hope we don't draft Beal. I think Gerald Henderson will be better off long term at SG. I would rather see us draft Harrison Barnes, who has legit 3 size.

NBA_Starter
03-23-2012, 04:35 PM
Why would it matter what number he is on Chad Ford's Big Board? He is still the same player regardless of how others view him.

I don't know, all I know is I want to draft him really, really bad.

JDM
03-23-2012, 10:07 PM
I don't want Barnes. There, I said it. I think he's lazy on defense and his supposed strength, shooting, is inconsistent. I don't think he's a leader and I don't think he can really carry a team to do something special. Plus he's underperformed drastically since he came to UNC. I love MKG.

My order of preference for the draft is:
1. Davis
2. MKG
3. Drummond
4. Beal
5. Robinson

RadioKiller
03-24-2012, 12:07 AM
It's not like MKG has performed that great lately either (with the exception of tonight).

But I am with you, Barnes has been so underwhelming. MKG at least looks like he can bring energy, hustle, and a good work ethic.

homestarunner93
03-24-2012, 01:23 AM
I don't want Barnes. There, I said it. I think he's lazy on defense and his supposed strength, shooting, is inconsistent. I don't think he's a leader and I don't think he can really carry a team to do something special. Plus he's underperformed drastically since he came to UNC. I love MKG.

My order of preference for the draft is:
1. Davis
2. MKG
3. Drummond
4. Beal
5. Robinson

He has more talent than anyone not named Anthony Davis. The Bobcats can't keep drafting mediocre talents with major holes. Barnes has vastly underperformed at UNC for the most part. That being said, he's a phenomenal talent, and one of the players who could be a true star in this class. You have to draft him if it isn't Davis (or maybe Drummond) and at least give it a shot. He needs an attitude adjustment and not much else. He can be a great player in the NBA.

RadioKiller
03-24-2012, 02:13 AM
You can't draft on talent alone though.

NBA_Starter
03-24-2012, 02:23 AM
Rick Bonnell ‏ @rick_bonnell Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Pretty good chance next #Bobcats lottery pick is on TV tonight: Kentucky's Davis or Kansas' Robinson.

Oh Please no :(

homestarunner93
03-24-2012, 01:10 PM
You can't draft on talent alone though.

You can when you have to hit big. Absolutely, yes you can. If you draft a solid, mediocre talent, your team drifts towards mediocrity. This team will never make a big FA signing without vastly overpaying. The Bobcats have to build through the draft. I would rather the Bobcats swing for the fences and totally miss on a guy like Barnes than draft a guy like MKG that will be a good player but nothing particularly special. If Barnes is awful, you still suck, and you get more high draft choices. Russell Westbrook is a good example here. The Thunder took him despite questions about what position he fit at, how much of an NBA player he was, what his work ethic was like, etc. That being said, the Thunder knew they needed big time players in the draft if they were ever going to compete. The Bobcats are the same way.

JDM
03-24-2012, 07:44 PM
I understand Barnes has great talent but his actions and mannerisms, like lack of hustle, is as big of a flag to me as it gets. It's easier for a guy like MKG, who hustles and has a great attitude, to overcome his weaknesses right now and become a great player, than a guy like Barnes who has the tools to be successful but doesn't seem to have the attitude to best utilize his tools and improve. If there is one thing I hate more than anything on a basketball court, it's lack of hustle and leadership. To me, it has been apparent all season long with inconsistent games and spotty play. And last night I finally just said "screw it, I'm calling what I see." And I see a player who's reputation coming out of high school has been used to counteract any suggestions of weaknesses and flaws. And last night was a perfect example, without Marshall he sucked. He couldn't make a shot to save his life, and for a player who is supposedly as good as he is, he should have taken over his team (which in fact he should have done since day 1) and beat Ohio. To me he is only as good as the players around him, and he makes no one around him better. MKG makes everyone around him better and plays the same, hardnose game day-in and day-out.

I understand the philosophy of taking players with good talent, which Barnes certainly has, but what good is talent without a good attitude and humbleness? MKG, on the other hand, has talent and the attitude and humbleness which would put to shame most NBA players right now. To me, character and drive is just as important as physical talent.

homestarunner93
03-24-2012, 09:27 PM
I understand Barnes has great talent but his actions and mannerisms, like lack of hustle, is as big of a flag to me as it gets. It's easier for a guy like MKG, who hustles and has a great attitude, to overcome his weaknesses right now and become a great player, than a guy like Barnes who has the tools to be successful but doesn't seem to have the attitude to best utilize his tools and improve. If there is one thing I hate more than anything on a basketball court, it's lack of hustle and leadership. To me, it has been apparent all season long with inconsistent games and spotty play. And last night I finally just said "screw it, I'm calling what I see." And I see a player who's reputation coming out of high school has been used to counteract any suggestions of weaknesses and flaws. And last night was a perfect example, without Marshall he sucked. He couldn't make a shot to save his life, and for a player who is supposedly as good as he is, he should have taken over his team (which in fact he should have done since day 1) and beat Ohio. To me he is only as good as the players around him, and he makes no one around him better. MKG makes everyone around him better and plays the same, hardnose game day-in and day-out.

I understand the philosophy of taking players with good talent, which Barnes certainly has, but what good is talent without a good attitude and humbleness? MKG, on the other hand, has talent and the attitude and humbleness which would put to shame most NBA players right now. To me, character and drive is just as important as physical talent.

I absolutely understand the frustrations with Barnes. But I disagree that character is as important as talent, especially in basketball. One player can conceivably make a team, like LeBron for example. Now, Barnes is not that good. Attitude can be fixed, though, and I don't think a team like Charlotte can ignore a talent like that, regardless of his attitude. An attitude problem can be overcome, but you can't give a player talent he doesn't have. Like I said, what do the Bobcats have to lose? Right now, we can't get any worse. Marginally improving the team only hurts the long term future more. I think you have to swing for the fences in the next few drafts, and hope you come up big at least once.

JDM
03-24-2012, 10:16 PM
I understand, and agree, that we have to get good players and help this team now, but I think MKG is the better prospect. The only thing that Barnes is better at than MKG is at shooting. IMO, that's it. And throughout the season Barnes' shooting has come and gone. His defense is sloppy, he should be a better rebounder, he's one-dimensional, and after watching UNC games he appears to have a lackluster attitude. That leaves shooting, and, like last night, that can be disappointing too. With that said, MKG needs to improve his shooting, but beyond that he's good. He is a good rebounder, great defender, and does all the little things to help Kentucky win that does not show up in the stats. So besides shooting I think he's better, and, like I said, with his attitude he will improve his shooting and become even better.

I can understand where you may feel that he would "marginally" improve this team because of his reputation as a poor offense player, but when you compare their stats Barnes is not that much better than him, and he's even worse in others:

Barnes: 17.3 PPG, 5.2 RPG, 45.3 FG%, 72.8 FT%, 1 APG, 1.1 SPG, .4 BPG
MKG: 11.5 PPG, 7.6 RPG%, 47.9 FG%, 73.5 FT%, 2 APG, 1.1 SPG, 1 BPG

So except for the 5.8 PPG advantage over MKG, Barnes is worse in the stats I have above. I just think Barnes' reputation has allowed him to still be considered the #1 SF in this class, which I wholeheartedly disagree with.

RadioKiller
03-24-2012, 10:26 PM
You can when you have to hit big. Absolutely, yes you can. If you draft a solid, mediocre talent, your team drifts towards mediocrity. This team will never make a big FA signing without vastly overpaying. The Bobcats have to build through the draft. I would rather the Bobcats swing for the fences and totally miss on a guy like Barnes than draft a guy like MKG that will be a good player but nothing particularly special. If Barnes is awful, you still suck, and you get more high draft choices. Russell Westbrook is a good example here. The Thunder took him despite questions about what position he fit at, how much of an NBA player he was, what his work ethic was like, etc. That being said, the Thunder knew they needed big time players in the draft if they were ever going to compete. The Bobcats are the same way.

So is Drummond third on your list?

homestarunner93
03-24-2012, 10:34 PM
So is Drummond third on your list?

I would say he's 2nd/3rd. Tough to differentiate between him and Barnes for me personally.

RadioKiller
03-24-2012, 10:42 PM
Ah, I can't believe you base players off talent alone. Drummond has as much talent as the next person in the draft but hasn't produced because of his mindset and lack of desire. Not saying Barnes lacks desire but has been very underwhelming this year. I do believe he has an higher ceiling than MKG though. Actually has a better chance to become a superstar but there just seems to be something missing.

EDIT On a side note, not sure if this has been discussed here, but Beal is definitely slated for the 2 position in the NBA. He is a great rebounder for a SG but a lot of people are hoping he can play 3 for Charlotte. Today was a good example as he struggled fighting through screens. I just don't see him being big enough to guard 3s on a consistent basis.

JDM
03-24-2012, 11:11 PM
He's a combo guard, not a SF. That's wishful thinking.

RadioKiller
03-24-2012, 11:12 PM
He's a combo guard, not a SF. That's wishful thinking.

I wouldn't even consider him a combo guard. He is a SG. A combo guard to me in this years draft would be someone like Rivers.

JDM
03-24-2012, 11:49 PM
I consider both combo guards, because they both can handle the ball and are a tad smaller than you would like in a SG (apparently). But it's kind of splitting hairs. He's definitely not a SF, though.

RadioKiller
03-24-2012, 11:58 PM
No I realize he is no SF. Some are thinking if the Bobcats draft him then we could play him at 3. I just don't think it's feasible. Hendo would be better at the 3, I guess.

But the reason I consider Rivers much more of a combo guard because he does'nt do nearly as well off the ball. He almost has to have the ball in his hands to be successful. And is more of a soccer than shooter.

Beal, on the other hand, is much better without the ball in his hands. He is a good penetrator and finisher around the rim but I don't think his handles are all that polished. Still pretty solid though.

JDM
03-25-2012, 12:09 AM
Yeah, either way it will be hard for him to find an impactful role on this team with Hendo still here.

RadioKiller
03-25-2012, 12:53 AM
I like Beal a lot as a prospect and even more than Hendo. But when it comes down to it we don't need to upgrade the SG position as much as SF or PF.

NBA_Starter
03-25-2012, 12:53 AM
Hendo has played the 3 before, I don't want anything to do with scrub Barnes or Thomas Robinson.

My order for our pick:

Anthony Davis
Beal
MKG

I wouldn't be surprised if Barnes went back to college for another season, he really screwed himself out of a lot of $ by not leaving last year.

RadioKiller
03-25-2012, 12:56 AM
What don't you like about T-Rob? I am not sure he is a fit here but he is a beast in the post and on the boards.

I will say he tries to hard to make something out of nothing.

NBA_Starter
03-25-2012, 01:01 AM
What don't you like about T-Rob? I am not sure he is a fit here but he is a beast in the post and on the boards.

It just baffles me he could be a Top 2 pick, he's a horrible FT shooter and has no jumper to speak of, for anyone to think he will be a DeMarcus Cousins type of player I just don't see it.

RadioKiller
03-25-2012, 01:11 AM
Yeah his FT shooting is no good. His mid range is improving but still not there yet.

But he's more a PF anyway so he'll do most of his work from the post.

But I see your point, it's valid.

NBA_Starter
03-25-2012, 01:12 AM
Yeah his FT shooting is no good. His mid range is improving but still not there yet.

But he's more a PF anyway so he'll do most of his work from the post.

But I see your point, it's valid.

I'd be nice to get the #1 and not have to worry about any player but one but I figure the lottery will screw us!:(

RadioKiller
03-25-2012, 01:14 AM
That's my hope as well.

NBA_Starter
03-25-2012, 01:24 AM
That's my hope as well.

If we did draw the 2 we could possibly trade down, I think the Hornets have 2 first round picks that should be lotto's, it'd be pretty sweet if we got Beal or MKG along with a second lottery pick but I'm not sure if the Hornets would bite.

RadioKiller
03-25-2012, 09:06 AM
Not sure either, we might have to give up our 2nd rounder.

homestarunner93
03-25-2012, 11:50 AM
Ah, I can't believe you base players off talent alone. Drummond has as much talent as the next person in the draft but hasn't produced because of his mindset and lack of desire. Not saying Barnes lacks desire but has been very underwhelming this year. I do believe he has an higher ceiling than MKG though. Actually has a better chance to become a superstar but there just seems to be something missing.

EDIT On a side note, not sure if this has been discussed here, but Beal is definitely slated for the 2 position in the NBA. He is a great rebounder for a SG but a lot of people are hoping he can play 3 for Charlotte. Today was a good example as he struggled fighting through screens. I just don't see him being big enough to guard 3s on a consistent basis.

I don't base everything on talent. That being said, the Bobcats have to draft big talents. They have to draft players with the best potentials. You can't have a bunch of guys who will be decent starters at their peaks. That's why we're in the mess we are in now, accumulating too much mediocre talent. Like I said earlier, swing for the fences in the next few drafts. If it works out, you've got a good team. If it doesn't, you're still drafting high with a chance to draft major impact players. For a team that is already terrible, there isn't much to lose by drafting the biggest talent available. Which is what the Bobcats should be doing, instead of drafting players like Kemba Walker who aren't projectable to the NBA but had a nice run in the NCAA Tournament.

Thomas Robinson is like Emeka Okafor to me. He's probably pretty much at his peak from the moment he enters the NBA. I wouldn't be surprised if he won Rookie of the Year, but I seriously doubt he will be among the top 5-10 players from this class when all is said and done. He's a sure bet for a team that is closer to competing, but he doesn't make a lot of sense for the Bobcats. Which is why we will probably end up drafting him.

RadioKiller
03-25-2012, 12:20 PM
I understand you point of view but Kemba was one of the most talented players in the draft. Besides Derrick Williams and Irving he was right there on talent..especially at our position. He would fall into your "Aim high on talent and hope he turns to a superstar." He wasn't a safe pick by any means.

It's not a bad draft strategy considering where we stand.

JDM
03-25-2012, 06:59 PM
Robinson will be a top 10 PF. His mid range game is getting better, and he was already good in the post. His athleticism, while not as good, reminds me of Blake Griffin. :hide: That being said, I have others in front of him on my board.

If we get the #2 pick, as y'all can probably guess, I hope we get MKG. If we get #3 I hope we get either MKG or Drummond, depending on who gets picked #2.

JDM
03-25-2012, 07:03 PM
And I agree with NBA, Barnes has screwed himself so badly by coming back this year. I doubt, however, that he'll come back again. That would be extremely shocking.

homestarunner93
03-25-2012, 10:01 PM
I understand you point of view but Kemba was one of the most talented players in the draft. Besides Derrick Williams and Irving he was right there on talent..especially at our position. He would fall into your "Aim high on talent and hope he turns to a superstar." He wasn't a safe pick by any means.

It's not a bad draft strategy considering where we stand.

I wholeheartedly disagree there. Although he was great in college, his skills weren't projectable. He was a scorer. If one thing doesn't transfer to the NBA, it is scoring. He was never a good defender. He never, ever had and never, ever will have superstar potential, or anything close.

RadioKiller
03-25-2012, 10:36 PM
I guess we'll have to disagree on Kemba. Not many players can do what Kemba does with his size, if it's not for talent. Coming into the draft he had great handles, ability to beat people off the dribble, very good at finishing at the rim, above average passer and court vision. Yes he is a streaky shooter and his size can be a liability on defense. But, I think why a lot of people thought he wouldn't translate was because of his size not his talent.

NBA_Starter
03-25-2012, 10:46 PM
I'm really thinking Barnes will refuse to go out on this note.

JDM
03-25-2012, 11:52 PM
We'll see, but if he returned I'd be amazed because he'll once again leave a lot of money on the table.

NBA_Starter
03-26-2012, 03:48 PM
We'll see, but if he returned I'd be amazed because he'll once again leave a lot of money on the table.

Thank God we won't give the bum a second look regardless. LOL @ someone saying we should draft him in the first place!! Barnes is one dimensional, he is not a good defender and he couldn't dribble past a cardboard cutout. His supposed strength is shooting and went 8 for 30 in his last 2 games when his team needed him most!

JDM
03-26-2012, 04:55 PM
Yep. If he had a book written about his career, the past 2 years would be titled "Underachiever". I can't expect for him to all of sudden play well in the NBA, where there is even tougher defense.

homestarunner93
03-26-2012, 05:56 PM
Thank God we won't give the bum a second look regardless. LOL @ someone saying we should draft him in the first place!! Barnes is one dimensional, he is not a good defender and he couldn't dribble past a cardboard cutout. His supposed strength is shooting and went 8 for 30 in his last 2 games when his team needed him most!

Barnes is the best physical talent in this draft not named Anthony Davis, and Drummond is the only one who can come close to challenging him there. I would love it if we drafted him. What you don't understand is that players develop. Just because they don't put up 20/10 in college doesn't mean they can't do it in the NBA with time.

bigsams50
03-27-2012, 06:53 PM
Barnes is a bum? News to me. Yes he has struggled, but like homestarunner said, he can develop. We cant keep drafting guys like Felton, Okafor and Kemba (players with low ceilings), and expect to compete. Sometimes you have to take a risk on a guy, and Barnes has all the tools to be a scoring threat at the NBA level. Beasting at college doesnt always mean you will beast the NBA. Just ask Kemba and Morrison about that

homestarunner93
03-27-2012, 07:05 PM
Can anyone please, please tell me what this team has to lose by drafting a high potential player that has a high bust possibility as well, but can be a star? I keep saying over and over again that we should draft the BEST AVAILABLE TALENT, people continue to knock it, yet cannot refute what I've said about having nothing to lose.

bigsams50
03-27-2012, 07:10 PM
I agree. We will never get Star FA's to come here. Only chance we have is to strike gold in the Draft. If Barnes can reach his potential, then him Bismack, and Hendo is a pretty good start

NBA_Starter
03-27-2012, 07:47 PM
Barnes is a bum? News to me. Yes he has struggled, but like homestarunner said, he can develop. We cant keep drafting guys like Felton, Okafor and Kemba (players with low ceilings), and expect to compete. Sometimes you have to take a risk on a guy, and Barnes has all the tools to be a scoring threat at the NBA level. Beasting at college doesnt always mean you will beast the NBA. Just ask Kemba and Morrison about that

Barnes is nothing but a shooter and he struggled at that in his last 2 games when his team needed him most. Check how far he has fallen on ESPN's mock, that happened for a reason.

If we don't get the #1 and are going to reach then we need to go after Brad Beal who could have D Wade potential or Drummond.

JDM
03-27-2012, 09:12 PM
Like NBA said, Barnes' biggest strength is shooting and he simply has not done that consistently and to the level I would expect from an elite prospect. Additionally he doesn't defend all that well and his rebounding is below what I would expect from someone of his height. He's been a disappointment and the only reason why he is still considered among the elite prospects is because of his reputation coming out of high school where people were claiming him to be the next Kobe Bryant.

In addition to all of this, I feel MKG has a greater ceiling than Barnes. With improved shooting (which is not that bad now anyway) all of his skills will be better than Barnes'. There is a reason, as NBA said, that MKG is ahead of Barnes on many Big Boards. He is better and has greater potential. I don't see where MKG would be the "safe" pick, he is the better of the two players and has greater potential. MKG would be the best pick. Plus, if you're in to this type of thinking, MKG is about 2 years younger than Barnes.

homestarunner93
03-27-2012, 09:35 PM
Barnes is nothing but a shooter and he struggled at that in his last 2 games when his team needed him most. Check how far he has fallen on ESPN's mock, that happened for a reason.

If we don't get the #1 and are going to reach then we need to go after Brad Beal who could have D Wade potential or Drummond.

WOW! He performed badly in two games!! OMG, what will we do now? Two whole games is in college is indicative of a player's entire pro potential? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

NBA_Starter
03-27-2012, 09:41 PM
WOW! He performed badly in two games!! OMG, what will we do now? Two whole games is in college is indicative of a player's entire pro potential? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

He hasn't been able to dribble or defend for 2 years in college, what makes you think he will just automatically start doing it in the NBA??

JDM
03-27-2012, 09:47 PM
Yeah I didn't just start watching him during this NCAA tournament. I've watched him over the course of his entire career and he's never blown me away. He's been incredibly one-dimensional and never completely dominant.

homestarunner93
03-27-2012, 10:04 PM
He hasn't been able to dribble or defend for 2 years in college, what makes you think he will just automatically start doing it in the NBA??

He has major scoring potential, and I have a hard time believing he can't dribble if he can score the way he has at UNC already. This is what you don't understand come draft time. Just because someone doesn't have the biggest numbers in college doesn't mean they can't develop in the NBA. Barnes has the physical tools and the shooting ability to become a great NBA player, tools that far surpass anyone but Anthony Davis and Andre Drummond in this draft. You sure didn't have a problem drafting Kemba Walker, who didn't defend a lick at Connecticut.

Yeah I didn't just start watching him during this NCAA tournament. I've watched him over the course of his entire career and he's never blown me away. He's been incredibly one-dimensional and never completely dominant.

He's never blown anyone away I don't think other than a few scattered performances. However, those performances show what he can become with some added prodding. Consistency and drive can be found. You can't create talent that isn't there. Why draft a second rate talent that will be a decent starter when you can draft a potential star? Again, WHAT DO THE BOBCATS HAVE TO LOSE? Is a bust going to make ticket sales go down? Nope. Is a bust going to make the team any worse? Nope. Is a bust going to hurt our draft position in the future? Nope. So, again, can anyone tell me what the Bobcats have to lose by drafting the biggest talent on the board whenever and hoping he can reach his fullest potential?

NBA_Starter
03-27-2012, 10:34 PM
Don't want anything do with someone who can't dribble, no thanks!

homestarunner93
03-27-2012, 10:38 PM
Again, WHAT DO THE BOBCATS HAVE TO LOSE? Is a bust going to make ticket sales go down? Nope. Is a bust going to make the team any worse? Nope. Is a bust going to hurt our draft position in the future? Nope. So, again, can anyone tell me what the Bobcats have to lose by drafting the biggest talent on the board whenever and hoping he can reach his fullest potential?

I'm still waiting on an answer to this...

NBA_Starter
03-27-2012, 10:42 PM
Rumors are running rampant on message boards that Barnes is staying for another season, so it may not matter anyway at least not this year.

JDM
03-27-2012, 10:46 PM
I guess we'll just have to disagree about who is the better talent. I think MKG is the better talent right now, and will be in the future. IMO, MKG has a better chance of becoming a star than Barnes. In the NCAA it's easy to find players who can score (see Morrison), but it's difficult to find players who can do everything. MKG can do everything.

NBA_Starter
03-27-2012, 10:49 PM
I guess we'll just have to disagree about who is the better talent. I think MKG is the better talent right now, and will be in the future. IMO, MKG has a better chance of becoming a star than Barnes. In the NCAA it's easy to find players who can score (see Morrison), but it's difficult to find players who can do everything. MKG can do everything.

Bingo, Beal too

JDM
03-27-2012, 10:51 PM
I'm still waiting on an answer to this...

There is nothing wrong with drafting players who have the best potential, and in fact I agree that this team needs to do that and not draft mediocre players with low potential (Walker). But when comparing MKG and Barnes, I think MKG has the greater potential. I guess we'll just have to disagree about who we think will be the better player.

homestarunner93
03-27-2012, 10:52 PM
There is nothing wrong with drafting players who have the best potential, and in fact I agree that this team needs to do that and not draft mediocre players with low potential (Walker). But when comparing MKG and Barnes, I think MKG has the greater potential. I guess we'll just have to disagree about who we think will be the better player.

I guess so.

bigsams50
03-28-2012, 04:02 AM
Bingo, Beal too

You would take Beal over Barnes?

bigsams50
03-28-2012, 04:04 AM
I wouldnt mind MKG, i just worry about his jumper. Developing a jumper is alot harder then it sounds. Guys like Rondo and Tyreke also dont have good jumpers and they have failed to improve on it.

bigsams50
03-28-2012, 04:06 AM
Didnt MKG say he was coming back next year? Not saying i think he will, players say this type of thing all the time.

JDM
03-28-2012, 05:30 PM
He said after the SEC tournament that he would return, but a little ways into the NCAA tournament multiple sources said he was going to declare after the draft. That seems to be the consensus now.

And his jump shot isn't horrible. He done great at the free throw line, and his FG% (albeit a lot comes from within the paint) is better than Barnes.

bigsams50
03-28-2012, 05:40 PM
I havnt watched many Kentucky games, so all i know about the guy is from what you guys tell me and what i read online hahaha I wouldnt mind MKG, I just like Barnes a little more.

JDM
03-28-2012, 08:45 PM
Wellllllllllllll, MKG is better. So you should say that we should draft him, not Barnes. :p

NBA_Starter
03-28-2012, 09:14 PM
You would take Beal over Barnes?

It's close.

NBA_Starter
03-29-2012, 03:49 PM
“It’s a great day for three youngsters who are taking another step toward their ultimate goal of playing professional basketball,” says head coach Roy Williams. “On a very small stage, it’s a sad day for me because I won’t get to coach them again. All Tar Heel fans will miss them greatly, as well.

“When I recruit a young man I talk to them about their ultimate goals and each of them are taking that next step toward reaching the goals they spoke to me about. I am extremely pleased for them. They have meant so much to our basketball program and the University of North Carolina. I thank them for everything they have contributed to Carolina Basketball.

“I really look forward to watching Harrison, John and Kendall play in the NBA. I know they will be very successful. They have been and will always be great Tar Heels.”

Henson was the ACC’s defensive player of the year in 2011 and 2012 and earned first-team all-conference honors as a junior. He played in 109 games and finished with1,124 points, 885 rebounds (11th all-time at UNC) and 279 blocks, the second-most in school history. He is first all-time at Carolina with 2.56 blocked shots per game.

"I've loved my three years at Carolina, and now I'm ready to pursue my dream of playing in the NBA,” says Henson. “It's tough to leave because I love my teammates, coaches and UNC. I wish we'd been able to bring our fans a national championship, but it wasn't meant to be. I am proud of what we accomplished, especially the last two years.

"I plan to finish working toward my degree. That's important to my parents, Coach Williams and me. I can't say enough about how much I've enjoyed my experience in Chapel Hill. This was a big decision and it will be a big change, but I'm ready.

"I'd like to thank my parents, Coach Williams and his staff and all of my teammates for everything they've done to get me ready for this moment. I'd also like to thank all the Carolina fans who have given us so much support over the lastthree years."

Barnes earned first-team All-ACC honors and second-team All-America honors (NABC) as a sophomore after leading Carolina in scoring for the second straight year. The Ames, Iowa, native scored 1,228 points in 75 games, an average of 16.4 per contest.

“I’m honored and blessed to have the opportunity to compete in the NBA,” says Barnes. “The love and respect I have for basketball fuel the drive toward my ultimate goal – to experience an illustrious career in the NBA. I have consulted with Coach Williams and my family, and although it was a difficult decision, I have decided to enter this year’s NBA draft.

“Chapel Hill is a special place. Over the past two years I’ve enjoyed every single moment of my Tar Heel experience. The road we took to reach the Elite 8 in 2011 and again in 2012 were great team accomplishments. I am thankful to UNC fans, my teammates, and to have played for Hall of Fame Coach Roy Williams and the entire coaching staff. Now it’s time for the next course of my journey. Although I may be giving up my eligibility, I will continue to pursue my degree. I love this university and will always be a Tar Heel.”

Marshall won the 2012 Bob Cousy Award as the top point guard in the nation and was a first-team All-America by CBSSports.com. The Dumfries, Va., native set the ACC’ssingle-season assist record this year with 351, the fourth-most in NCAA history. He also set ACC single-season records with 9.75 assists per game and 17 double-figure assist games. He is Carolina’s all-time leader in assist per game (7.96) and the ACC’s career leader in assist-turnover ratio (3.01). He is second in ACC history in assists per game.

“I would like to thank my family, coaches, teammates and the Tar Heel Nation for all their support,” says Marshall. “It’s been the greatest two years of my life. I have always put the team before myself and I am extremely proud of what we've accomplished. My life long dream has been to play basketball at the highestlevel possible and I feel now is my greatest opportunity to fulfill this goal. I will always be a Tar Heel at heart and I will carry the experiences that I’ve had here both on and off the court with me for the rest of my life.”

http://northcarolina.247sports.com/Article/Henson-Barnes-Marshall-to-NBA-67927http://northcarolina.247sports.com/Article/Henson-Barnes-Marshall-to-NBA-67927

homestarunner93
03-29-2012, 03:51 PM
Hopefully UNCheat will be terrible next season.

bigsams50
03-29-2012, 04:09 PM
I think i am the only Tar Heels fan in here :laugh:

NBA_Starter
03-29-2012, 06:11 PM
Hopefully UNCheat will be terrible next season.

Their recruiting class is certainly underwhelming (No 5* recruits), Now it all hinges on what JMM does.

JDM
03-29-2012, 06:33 PM
I think i am the only Tar Heels fan in here :laugh:

we can change that, you know :p

JDM
03-29-2012, 06:43 PM
Their recruiting class is certainly underwhelming (No 5* recruits), Now it all hinges on what JMM does.

Sadly our's isn't better.

Robbw241
03-29-2012, 07:39 PM
I hear this is the Holes leaving celebration party room.

homestarunner93
03-29-2012, 07:51 PM
Yeahhh

Robbw241
03-29-2012, 09:59 PM
o yah lets get wastypantsed

NBA_Starter
03-29-2012, 10:27 PM
I hear this is the Holes leaving celebration party room.

That's right :dance:

bigsams50
03-30-2012, 03:16 AM

UNC has the 4th ranked recruiting class on ESPN though

bigsams50
03-30-2012, 03:17 AM
we can change that, you know :p

:laugh2: You can try. :p

JDM
03-30-2012, 11:03 PM
Ok how's this? Become a Duke fan because the future commish of the NBA said so. No?... Ok here's this, become a Duke fan and you'll receive great benefits like free cookies and cold milk. Yeah that should do it. :nod:

bigsams50
03-31-2012, 06:51 AM
Cookies. You have found my one weak point http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/004/077/Raisins_Face.jpg Still, cant do :D ahhhahaha

JDM
03-31-2012, 03:50 PM
Dammit. That's the best I can do. No cookies for you, you get yogurt instead for being a UNC fan. Muahahahahahahahaha.

bigsams50
03-31-2012, 03:59 PM
Hhahahaha would work, but yogurt in Greece is delicious :cool: :D

JDM
03-31-2012, 05:28 PM
Yogurt is disgusting. :puke:

To get back on topic, I'm definitely watching the Final Four games tonight. And perhaps during commercials I'll check in on the Bobcats game. What a night for basketball!

bigsams50
03-31-2012, 05:30 PM
Dude, Greek yogurt is delicious. I didnt like yogurt before either. But my god i have seen the light :D ahahahha

I'm watching on my computer, so i will have 2 links open, Kentucky and Bobcats

NBA_Starter
04-17-2012, 11:12 PM
Shocker, Shocker, all of the Kentucky boys are coming out!

Well now comes the hard part, we just have to win the lottery.

JDM
04-18-2012, 08:29 PM
:pray:

packfan1
12-19-2012, 10:55 PM
bump :laugh:

NBA_Starter
12-20-2012, 05:51 AM
bump :laugh:

That is not funny packfan!:mad:

JDM
12-20-2012, 03:39 PM
I'm labeling our biggest needs as PF/C and SG. Sadly, I'm not expecting Hendo to be back but if he is brought back then SG is no longer a need. Additionally, it would depend on how the coaching staff believes Taylor would handle being the full-time SG. Be that as it may, I'm just going to focus on the big men, because that should be our biggest need no matter what.

What we have now is a versatile, scoring big man in Mullens who provides very, very average defense and even more average rebounding. We also have Biz who provides exceptional post defense and improving rebounding, which isn't too shabby right now anyways. His offense, on the other hand, is still lacking but strides are definitely being made. His biggest knock though is still his size- ultimately is he better suited as a PF or C? If his offense can develop, then ultimately I think his position should be PF. And the way it's looking, his offense is developing.

That brings us to this years' prospects. Given what we have, the question we ask ourselves is should we target a big man more offensive or defensive? In my opinion, we need to target a defensive big man. Biz can only do so much on the defensive end when he's teamed up with Mullens. Watching our post defense if just depressing, and what's even more depressing is our lack of defensive rebounds. With that said, we're scoring a healthy amount of points a game (currently 16th in the league) but we're giving up way too many points (currently last in the league). It's not too hard to figure out where the blame should go. We have good defenders at SG and SF, an average defender at PG, and below average defense in the post. Now, who to target...

Big men:
Cody Zeller
Nerlens Noel
Alex Len
Mason Plumlee
Rudy Gobert

Cody Zeller- I love this guy. The most polished offensive big man there is in college. The one concern I have, unfortunately, is his defense. He's rail thin and gets moved off way too easily. Additionally, his rebounding is subpar given his size. Sadly, his game and style of play reminds me an awful lot of someone we already have- Mullens.

Nerlens Noel- The guy is incredible on defense. Similar to Davis last year, whenever someone drives through the lane they have to be mindful of where this guy is because he'll block shots all day long. His offense, on the other hand, is far from finished. His post moves are almost painful to watch because I see the guy make a move with no plan on what to do next...a recipe for turnovers, fouls, and awkward shots. That said, he does do a good job of finishing at the rim. He's explosive and has exceptional athleticism. Good rebounder as well. He will definitely be known for his defensive presence.

Alex Len- After watching some of him, in my mind, he's a nice mesh of Zeller and Noel. He has the touch and developing offensive game of Zeller and the intimidating defense and rebounding of Noel. He's not better than either Zeller or Noel in those respective categories, but he's capable of doing just about everything. He's added a considerable amount of weight to his 7-1 body so that he looks much more like an NBA center, but he should continue to add some weight. This is a guy who should only continue to rise as he gets more recognition in the coming months.

Mason Plumluee- Obviously I'm a little bias here, but how can you not love this guy? Explosive athlete with a much more improved offensive game this year. His defense and rebounding have also improved by leaps and bounds this year. Like Len, he can do just about anything. But what separates the two is Plumlee's experience. The obvious question that will come up is how much potential does he really have given that he's a senior already? To be honest, I'm not too sure but I certainly wasn't expecting him to be this good this season. He's always had that perception of having the potential of being a great NBA PF given his measurements, perhaps he's just finally showing what all he can really do now that he's the guy at Duke.

Rudy Gobert- This guy is a freak from France. That's about as good as I can put it. He's 7-1 with a 7-9 wingspan...7-9. After watching several videos on this guy, he's fun to watch. Defensively he's a presence, needless to say. His blocks come out of nowhere and he's always around the ball. Offensively I haven't seen much else besides a lot of dunking...a lot. But that usually the way it goes when you try to find some videos of Euro guys. I'm confident more info will come out on this guy as draft day approaches. He's certainly someone I'd be interested in given his raw talent.

With all of that said, who do I want? Given how early it is I can't really tell, but if Len can continue on the path that he's been going on then I realllllyyyyy like him. I want to like Zeller, but I just see too much of a guy we already have. Noel is someone I'd be more willing to take at this moment, as opposed to Zeller, because of what we really need out of our big men, plus it's not like Noel's offense is completely lost- he does have some ability. Plumlee is someone I would love on our team, but, looking at the potential of the guys in front of him, I'd be lying if I said I'd want him instead of the others. If we ultimately end up picking around #10 then Plumlee would be my guy most likely. Anything earlier than that and we could possibly get another guy with more upside. Lastly, Gobert is someone we ought to keep our eye on. He's a freak and who knows what he could ultimately become. Time will tell on him.

JDM
12-20-2012, 03:42 PM
Also, don't forget that we can get the Blazers' pick (top 12 protected) and the Pistons' pick (top 14 protected). We can lose our pick to the Bulls as well (top 12 protected). We do not have our second round pick this year.

JDM
12-20-2012, 10:09 PM
Don't know if y'all have seen this or not but it's an interesting look into this past draft. Gives somewhat an indication of how we approach the draft and players. There are three parts.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zxkhl86EAU
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpuB_PlWA_U
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0pL7BZQFOY

bigsams50
01-29-2013, 02:24 PM
So far from what everyone has seen, any player you really want us to draft? I am hoping we favor Shabazz over every other prospect. I think he has star potential.

rapjuicer06
01-29-2013, 03:23 PM
Wouldn't pairing Zellar and adding quality depth put you guys over the hump to finally get out of the cellar? You have a prime defender in Bismack to hold down the paint, wouldn't putting a big man scorer down low be beneficial?

bigsams50
01-29-2013, 05:00 PM
In theory that would be good, but i dont see Zellar being that great of a player at the next level. He is 6'11, with a 6'8 wingspan. Maybe i am looking too much into it, but i feel he will struggle against more athletic players

rapjuicer06
01-29-2013, 05:06 PM
In theory that would be good, but i dont see Zellar being that great of a player at the next level. He is 6'11, with a 6'8 wingspan. Maybe i am looking too much into it, but i feel he will struggle against more athletic players

Hmm, I guess idk how much that'd affect him. Offensively I wouldn't think it'd bother him at all. Defensively I could see it holding him back a bit.

bigsams50
01-29-2013, 05:30 PM
I'm not sure how it will affect him either. Its why i'm not a big fan of his. I also feel Muhammad could be a franchise type player for us, i dont see Zellar being that.

NBA_Starter
01-29-2013, 08:46 PM
So far from what everyone has seen, any player you really want us to draft? I am hoping we favor Shabazz over every other prospect. I think he has star potential.

1. Ben McLemore
2. Bazz
3. Nerlens Noel

homestarunner93
01-29-2013, 10:18 PM
I really like Alex Len and Nerlens Noel for this team. Shabazz as well, but that would probably mean the end of Hendo in Charlotte. Zeller in my opinion has a pretty limited ceiling.

bigsams50
01-30-2013, 12:27 PM
I really like Alex Len and Nerlens Noel for this team. Shabazz as well, but that would probably mean the end of Hendo in Charlotte. Zeller in my opinion has a pretty limited ceiling.

I prefer Len to Noel. Noel i dont think is a guy that will ever be able to give you a good offensive output every game. And i think Hendo is gone after this year or next. I dont see us giving him the deal he will want.

JDM
03-01-2013, 01:38 AM
For me, all I want is McLemore. That is all.

packfan1
03-03-2013, 11:57 PM
If we trade for a 2nd round pick, I'd want us to take Richard Howell

NBA_Starter
03-10-2013, 02:43 AM
If we trade for a 2nd round pick, I'd want us to take Richard Howell

He would help out with rebounding for sure, which is something we need badly.

HouRealCoach
03-13-2013, 07:37 PM
For me, all I want is McLemore. That is all.

He looks like the best option along with Shabazz Muhammad.. I think Alex Len needs to stay in college another year or two

NBA_Starter
03-13-2013, 08:07 PM
WCS from Kentucky is an intriguing prospect if we get Portland's pick, he probably needs to stay at least another year but probably won't but if we get that pick this year is still up in the air.

king4day
03-18-2013, 01:55 PM
Where would McLemore fit in your lineup? Who would have to be shuffled around?
I've said it before but if you guys can swing him and then sign Al Jeff, Charlotte is suddenly a playoff team (if not next year then the year after).
If you don't get Ben, who would you guys look at behind him?

Suns fans are aiming for McLemore as well but without the top pick, it's unlikely. When you do the ESPN mock lottery draft, like 5 different teams are shown as selecting 5 different guys with the #1 pick.

NBA_Starter
03-18-2013, 05:41 PM
Where would McLemore fit in your lineup? Who would have to be shuffled around?
I've said it before but if you guys can swing him and then sign Al Jeff, Charlotte is suddenly a playoff team (if not next year then the year after).
If you don't get Ben, who would you guys look at behind him?

Suns fans are aiming for McLemore as well but without the top pick, it's unlikely. When you do the ESPN mock lottery draft, like 5 different teams are shown as selecting 5 different guys with the #1 pick.

It would probably be the end of Henderson's days here, as for who else we would look at Noel and Oladipo. The more he plays and displays a bad attitude I just don't think Shabazz would be a good fit with our young team.

RipCity32
03-19-2013, 09:23 PM
You guys should go after Noel in my opinion

bobcat fan
03-26-2013, 06:42 AM
having the first pick it should be noel for me...
and hope we can add up another high pick for shabazz or mclemore.

NBA_Starter
03-26-2013, 10:51 PM
An article came out today about most GM's say they would take Noel #1.

bigsams50
03-29-2013, 12:17 PM
What are the chances we get Portlands pick this year?

homestarunner93
03-29-2013, 04:08 PM
I hope we don't, because this draft is garbage.

NBA_Starter
03-29-2013, 05:25 PM
What are the chances we get Portlands pick this year?

They are a game and a half behind Dallas in the spot they would have to get for us to get it, honestly after the way they played against Brooklyn it feels like they are tanking.

bigsams50
03-29-2013, 06:35 PM
They probably are. Bastards. I would love to have that pick.

NBA_Starter
06-08-2013, 10:53 PM
What do you all think of Bennett?

bigsams50
06-09-2013, 09:22 PM
Seems like a tweener to me that will be something like Beasley and Williams.

NBA_Starter
06-10-2013, 06:27 PM
I guess you don't want him

homestarunner93
06-11-2013, 06:29 PM
Otto Porter says he's only working out for the top three teams, so it appears he will go in the top 3. That means at least two of Nerlens Noel, Ben McLemore, Victor Oladipo, or Anthony Bennett will be available at #4. I would honestly be pleased with any of those options.

bigsams50
06-11-2013, 07:24 PM
I guess you don't want him

I would prefer others over him, but if we did end up getting him i wouldnt be mad.

NBA_Starter
06-11-2013, 08:30 PM
Otto Porter says he's only working out for the top three teams, so it appears he will go in the top 3. That means at least two of Nerlens Noel, Ben McLemore, Victor Oladipo, or Anthony Bennett will be available at #4. I would honestly be pleased with any of those options.

I would prefer others over him, but if we did end up getting him i wouldnt be mad.

I was against Bennett but I am warming up to him, I am just scared to death with him not able to workout.

bigsams50
06-24-2013, 09:16 PM
Close to draft day. Without having a 2nd round pick, is anyone else hoping we trade for one? (preferably for next to nothing)

NBA_Starter
06-25-2013, 08:59 PM
Close to draft day. Without having a 2nd round pick, is anyone else hoping we trade for one? (preferably for next to nothing)

I'd love to add one.

NBA_Starter
05-20-2014, 08:51 PM
We get the #9 pick from Detroit!:dance:

bigsams50
05-20-2014, 09:09 PM
YESSIIIIIIIIRRRRR!!!

I kind of am hoping we trade up to get a shot at Vonleh