PDA

View Full Version : SI ranks the Jays 13th...what do you think?

Big Hurt
02-02-2012, 11:28 AM
Seems about right to me.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/joe_lemire/02/01/offseason.power.rankings/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_wr_a1

nithanyo
02-02-2012, 11:40 AM
seems about right. i think were better than the nats, and possibly the D-backs or Reds. But the Marlins are better than us.

AND personally i think Angels are a better team than the Raners

Halladay
02-02-2012, 11:52 AM
How are the Angels better? maybe I don't see it. The Rangers did lose a key part of their rotation but they also have the best lineup in baseball.

2009mvp
02-02-2012, 12:05 PM
Yeah their lineup isn't particularly good (especially if they insist on playing Wells) and their pen could go either way. Great rotation for sure, but I much prefer the Rangers 1 through 25.

Farsight
02-02-2012, 12:28 PM
Honestly, this is one of the better lists i have seen. Im sure there will be wiggle room from 1-3, 4-8, etc, but i think its a fair representation of where most teams will finish if everything goes RIGHT. I

Sanyo
02-02-2012, 12:34 PM
STL could be a different team with Pujols and La Russa gone -- a new manager, no matter what team, could be hit or miss -- Joe Girardi, when he took over the Yanks, was not up to par the first year and the team was 3rd in 2008, though they got over the hump and won the whole darn thing the next year...could see the same thing happen in STL, especially when you lose a manager like La Russa and a leader like Pujols, two guys who are pretty much irreplaceable...

rubeus
02-02-2012, 01:04 PM
I mostly agree.

brewers look to be in for a major fall. with fielder gone and Braun gone for the 1/3 of
the season.

Will Braun on returning be a shadow of his former self ( with no PED )

nithanyo
02-02-2012, 01:08 PM
How are the Angels better? maybe I don't see it. The Rangers did lose a key part of their rotation but they also have the best lineup in baseball.

The pitching is question marks with the rangers right now. I think they converted feliz frOm the pen to the rotation and who knows how darvish will turn out(heres a bitter jays fan). What's sad is that Even with those question marks they have a far better rotation than us. Angels have 3 aces plus a really good Santana and the second best hitter in the game(we all know Bautista is number 2 :P). I like the angels more for that reason.

ramz.n
02-02-2012, 01:15 PM
imo I think the giants should be higher than the bluejays...then the reds, braves, diamondbacks all after in that order

Sanyo
02-02-2012, 01:24 PM
I mostly agree.

brewers look to be in for a major fall. with fielder gone and Braun gone for the 1/3 of
the season.

Will Braun on returning be a shadow of his former self ( with no PED )

Brews could try and challenge that Braun made the deal under false pretenses and he was on an illegal substance that he knowingly hid from the Brews when he signed the deal and try to null and void the deal -- oh yeah its baseball that kinda stuff doesnt happen.

Instead Braun will just say you let Fielder go and hence Im not being challenged as much with fastballs and more breaking and off speed stuff and hence why my productivity is down.

Ahhh the drama that could be unfolding with that team -- another reason why it doesnt make sense giving someone an 8-10 year deal, no matter how good they are...if Braun becomes a former shell, damn thats a huge price the Brews could be paying for 10 years...

Bombtista
02-02-2012, 01:43 PM
I like that the AL east are within striking distance of eachother. Maybe excluding the Yankees and Orioles but if we can exceed expectations and either Boston or Tampa cant, that means playoff opportunity.

ILDD
02-02-2012, 02:11 PM
Looks reasonable to me, the one thing that sticks out is Arizona. They should be much, much lower than 13th, probably nearer 20th for me.

Sanyo
02-02-2012, 02:27 PM
Looks reasonable to me, the one thing that sticks out is Arizona. They should be much, much lower than 13th, probably nearer 20th for me.

Arizona will have one of top 5 rotations, if not top soon enough top 3 with Ian Kennedy, Daniel Hudson, Trevor Cahill, Josh Collmenter and Joe Saunders. Not to mention guys like Trevor Bauer, Tyler Skiggs, Archie Bradley and Andrew Chafin. No doubt they'll use one of these guys to get a big bat in 2012 which is what they kind of need with Justin Upton. But in order to compete they need the bat cause as good as they are with pitching, SF is better but a team with almost nothing in the minors and poor hitting -- plus they overtook the Giants last year so I see the trend continuing.

Big Hurt
02-02-2012, 05:07 PM
Arizona will have one of top 5 rotations, if not top soon enough top 3 with Ian Kennedy, Daniel Hudson, Trevor Cahill, Josh Collmenter and Joe Saunders. Not to mention guys like Trevor Bauer, Tyler Skiggs, Archie Bradley and Andrew Chafin. No doubt they'll use one of these guys to get a big bat in 2012 which is what they kind of need with Justin Upton. But in order to compete they need the bat cause as good as they are with pitching, SF is better but a team with almost nothing in the minors and poor hitting -- plus they overtook the Giants last year so I see the trend continuing.

And they play in a pretty easy division too.

scottythegreat1
02-02-2012, 05:21 PM
The Cards shouldnt be sixth...they lost Pujols...yes, theyre great, but Boston and Tampa are better.

I think The Marlins are better than 14th...I havent written down my picks yet, but I have them down to win the World Series. They should be around 9th. They cant beat the powerhouse teams....but in the NL, only the Phillies and Cardinals are better, but just because the Phillies have everything, they didnt win it the last 2 years. I dont see the Cardinals doing as well with Pujols, La Russa and Duncah gone. The Reds, Braves and Diamondbacks are around the same spot as the Marlins, and I think the Marlins are going to pull one over everyone like they did the last 2 times they won the World Series.

Boston isnt going anywhere this season, theyre still good, but they arent as good as the Yankees or the Rays. They didnt get better this offseason, if anything, they got worse. If the Blue Jays want to make a statement and get ahead of Boston (ie. get to second/third place in the East), this is certainly the season to do it.

Now...to the Blue Jays. Im glad they acknowledge that we have a chance at the wild card. I know our team has all the potential in the world...but can it be applied??? The Jays are around 11th in my books, but Im a fan, so Im a bit influenced by that. We are a good team, with reasonable power, but not as powerful as the powerhouse teams yet. We can put up a punch against them, but we have to win against them.

We WILL win a reasonable amount of games against the powerhouses, but we wont overtake them yet. I think I said we will go about 37-35 against the AL East...you need to go at least 40-32 to be in the playoffs. If you look at last year, we went 14-22 against the AL East teams on the road....so my suggestion is to win the games at THEIR ballpark and we go to the playoffs...you cant win if youre going to have a 3-6 record at a division rivals' ballpark. We beat all the teams with losing records easily, but against good teams, we lost, except Texas (we went 6-4 against them) and had a .500 against LA.

jaysnraptors44
02-02-2012, 08:29 PM
The Marlins to win the world series ^ ? Let's see their additions Buerhle Reyes and Heath Bell .. They were 18 games below .500 last year I doubt those additions will bring up 18 wins . I think the Marlins are par with the Jays ... that list has it right except I will put us ahead of the Nationals